The Green Hornet

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What did you think of The Green Hornet?

About 7-8
17%
Chilli HATED it!
83%

Total votes : 6

Re: The Green Hornet

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:15 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Fucking spoilers. But I still want to see Green Hornet for Waltz. He was so damn awesome in Inglourious Basterds.

Sorry about that :oops:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:25 pm

From IESB: Bad News For GREEN HORNET & LOBO
Jamie Williams wrote:Meanwhile the other comic flick we have disagreeable news on is Green Hornet. The difference, of course, is it's already been shot and set for a December 22, 2010 release where it will face off against the likes of Tron: Legacy, Little Fockers and the third Narnia installment Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

What we're hearing is the Sony executives are displeased with the results. The tone is too campy, they're not happy with the work from director Michel Gondry and Seth Rogen does not look the part. At all. In fact, the feeling at Sony is the movie is a disaster. That sucks to hear because frankly I'm a big fan of both Rogen and Gondry. I was really hoping they'd make something worthwhile.

Sadly, this is a nightmare come to life for Green Hornet fans after the initial "Really, guys?!?" reactions to Rogen playing the masked hero and Gondry (not exactly a director one would link to a superhero epic) being hired.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:07 pm

I think that "too campy" probably just means that it's not the dark and brooding post-TDK-tale that sells so well these days and Sony Pictures was counting on, but instead a very enjoyable funride.
"Not happy with Gondry's work" probably just means that he made a typical Gondry movie and not the typical superhero movie that every big studio does (Which is in my opinion not necessarily bad.)
"Not happy with Rogen's work" just means what everybody has expected: Seth Rogen is totally miscast. Again. He just sucks and I hope he gets away soon.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:27 pm

HAHAHA, that is hilarious on multiple levels.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:33 pm

"Pushed Back Into 2011" sounds so unbelievable dramatic, although they delay it only for three weeks. :lol:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Fried Gold wrote:http://chud.com/articles/articles/24149/1/PREEEESENTING-THE-FIRST-GREEN-HORNET-PICS-/Page1.html

Seth Rogan as a superhero = superhero movies jumping the shark (or whatever the cool new way of saying jumping the shark is these days).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Greening the hornet?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:24 am

the fact that Seth Rogen continues to get any major roles at all, let alone a fucking "super hero" role is further proof of how little talent really matters in regard to who gets work in Hollywood......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:37 am

C'mon, y'all don't think he's a little bit talented. I usually enjoy him in stuff.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:52 am

Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:53 am

no, i really don't. i think he is probably a fun guy to share a joint with and hang out, but he shows me nothing on screen, he "acts" even less than Micheal Cera, and that is saying something. in Pineapple Express i think Franco and McBride smoked him in every scene they shared, left him in their dust.... add to that he gets these roles that he simply isn't believable doing, imo. i just think that Hollywood runs on the whole "it is who you know not what you know" even more than the rest of the world

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:09 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Trailer here.

Not bad.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 am

Yup, the trailer is cool, I just wish there would be a chance to replace Rogen with a more bearable actor.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:55 am

Man Rogan is flat as hell in that trailer. Like NO personality at all. Maybe he should have tried his stoner-act with this one...

I get that they are playing this role in a very comedic sense (as opposed to a "hardcore" superhero vibe like Bats or IM) but still, this is bad stuff IMO.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Yikes, that trailer was bad.

And a January release? They must not really expect much.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:49 pm

How in the hell is that a Michel Gondry film?! :shock: :(
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby chimptypewriter on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:02 pm

i dont understand the hate for the trailer. it looks fun and entertaining. what about this trailer looks bad??
chimptypewriter
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:15 pm

chimptypewriter wrote:i dont understand the hate for the trailer. it looks fun and entertaining. what about this trailer looks bad??

Rogan. As I said a few posts above, he seems boring as hell in this role.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

And I wouldn't really say that the trailer looks bad (apart from Rogen), but so far the movie looks like your typical run-of-the-mill-PG-13-designed-as-possible-franchise-starter-lighthearted-superhero-blockbuster.
I heard the final movie is supposed to be much crazier (I heard rumors about something called "Kato vision"), but so far it's been sold as nothing special.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah, I think you got a glimpse of the Kato vision when he kicked that guy and there was that sort of weird warp effect.

I thought that looked like a blast, and it certainly seems to have a sense of humor. It was much better than I expected, so I imagine I'll probably be seeing this.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Confidence is up a little but I'm not yet convinced it won't burst into flames upon reaching the theater. I'm guessing the effects and editing will defeat the 3D process they so hastily slapped onto it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm

I have laughed at Seth Rogan in films and enjoyed his presence in them.
Having said that, I can't believe Gondry is wasting his talent with a Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet film.

I know VERY little about The Green Hornet, but it seems to me that it could have been done with real-life seriousness of Nolan's Batman films.
Instead we have what looks to be a lame action-packed jokefest.
I hope I'm wrong.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Fievel wrote:I have laughed at Seth Rogan in films and enjoyed his presence in them.
Having said that, I can't believe Gondry is wasting his talent with a Seth Rogan as the Green Hornet film.

I know VERY little about The Green Hornet, but it seems to me that it could have been done with real-life seriousness of Nolan's Batman films.
I hope I'm wrong.

See, I have the EXACT opposite opinion. I'm glad it's not Nolan's Bat films, because we already have those. If I want something like those, I'll just go watch them instead of something trying to be them. I'm glad they're trying something a bit different in the super hero genre. Just because we have one insanely successful film, out come the copycats. I think that's one mistake super hero films are making now. They're not all Batman, but the filmmakers think they can be. They don't have to be dark when the material isn't suited for it.

I like the fact that this is a bit more lighthearted. It needed to be or it would simply be 2nd (or 3rd) rate Batman.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby chimptypewriter on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Fievel wrote:I have laughed at Seth Rogan in films and enjoyed his presence in them.

I hope I'm wrong.

See, I have the EXACT opposite opinion. I'm glad it's not Nolan's Bat films, because we already have those. If I want something like those, I'll just go watch them instead of something trying to be them. I'm glad they're trying something a bit different in the super hero genre. Just because we have one insanely successful film, out come the copycats. I think that's one mistake super hero films are making now. They're not all Batman, but the filmmakers think they can be. They don't have to be dark when the material isn't suited for it.

I like the fact that this is a bit more lighthearted. It needed to be or it would simply be 2nd (or 3rd) rate Batman.

Agreed! This movie looks a tad better than your 'run of the mill" superhero film as someone said earlier. if it looks "run of the mill" its the way the studio is marketing it. I hate bad acting but dont see why people are shitting on the 5 lines of dialogue seth rogen spoke in this trailer. Seth Rogen has done fine in his other films, granted they were all comedies, plus I really enjoy seeing directors cast someone unexpected in a role so Ill wait until I see this film.
chimptypewriter
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:See, I have the EXACT opposite opinion. I'm glad it's not Nolan's Bat films, because we already have those. If I want something like those, I'll just go watch them instead of something trying to be them. I'm glad they're trying something a bit different in the super hero genre. Just because we have one insanely successful film, out come the copycats. I think that's one mistake super hero films are making now. They're not all Batman, but the filmmakers think they can be. They don't have to be dark when the material isn't suited for it.

Yeah. I'm not TOTALLY ready to say the trailer is a sign of this movie's suckiness just yet. The fact that it's coming out in January isn't very encouraging, but the stuff in the trailer wasn't that bad. It just seemed awkward because it's (probably) an action-comedy but they cut it to look like Batman Begins.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:44 am

Maybe they'll release the series on DVD when the flick comes out so we can have that much more Bruce Lee.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:56 am

And how about the no name, or at least never heard of him until today, actor Jay Chou in the role of Kato? I mean come on; filling the role once performed by Bruce Lee - tell me that didn't push the pressure on. But from what I see so far - this looks AWESOME! Do you think this will catapult Chou's career?

Actually FYI I in fact checked his IMDB page I found This little unknown Gem its a trailer for one of his only other Chou listed Recent movies called "True Legend". This is much more of a badass fung fu fighter flick, which I've never even heard of but this also looks pretty damn cool!

what can I say - I'm a sucker for the whole drunken master style kung fu

Enjoy
-Trev

EDIT; holly crap - this movie also has David Carradine AND Michelle Yeoh (from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:26 am

Jay's pretty massive in China (as a singer mainly and advertising whore), but moved into film where his one expression of teen confusion and mild ball pain has been doing wonders for movies such as "Curse of the Golden Flower"... I initially was gonna blast him in a post in this thread, but I decided to cut him some slack til I see the flick, maybe, one day.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby tfactor on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:42 am

Ball pain? :shock: ouch ...

I really don't follow Asian pop culture and especially not their music, not that there is anything wrong with it... :roll:

Anyway I didn't see COTGF, why? was it crap?

Regardless though, from what I can see - there was little to nothing to complain about in either the Green Hornet trailer or the other one I posted. Plus I like that his is not a faked Asian Accent, we've seen way too much of that crap in TV & Movies. Plus that drunken master looks (dare I say) on par with Jackie Chans drunken master. That has to be some indicator of Chou's ability, no?

am I about to open a can of poison fanged worms that I will regret unleashing? :?
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 am

i really dug Curse of the Golden Flower, though mm is right about the majority of expressions he used, now that i think about it....fortunately Chow Yun studly and Gung Li played the main characters

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:16 am

This looks like more KICK-ASS to me, and to me, that's not really a great thing. One of those mixes of some-but-not-enough-humour with a story and action that I don't really buy.

I generally don't like Rogen and from this trailer it looks like more of the same stuff as KICK-ASS where they purposefully choose a lead character who should not be a superhero, make one funny scene that acknowledges that he is not cut out to be a superhero, but then after that have him actually become a superhero anyway. I get that they're going for the angle that he's a gadget junkie and there's a bit of BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA in that the guy in the hero role keeps getting saved by the sidekick, but I dunno...this just doesn't look funny and silly enough.

I love Gondry, and I really liked Waltz in BASTERDS and want to see him act some more, but this just doesn't do much for me.

I might see it, but I'm not really interested at this point.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:50 pm

http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/The_Green_Hornet/large/hr_The_Green_Hornet_7.jpg

new poster.....nothing to change my opinion that this movie will be weak sauce...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Peven wrote:http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/The_Green_Hornet/large/hr_The_Green_Hornet_7.jpg

new poster.....nothing to change my opinion that this movie will be weak sauce...

I had forgotten about this movie to the point that I already thought it had come and failed.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:24 pm

the one good thing that may come out of this movie being ass and epicly failing is it damaging Seth Rogen's marketability so he will be in less movies in the future

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:07 am

Peven wrote:the one good thing that may come out of this movie being ass and epicly failing is it damaging Seth Rogen's marketability so he will be in less movies in the future

If only that were true... I think Seth needs a few bombs in a row for his career to take a hit.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:03 am

From The Big Picture:
Did Sony's troubled 'Green Hornet' finally break out of movie jail?
Patrick Goldstein wrote:For months there has been nothing but bad buzz about Sony's troubled, Seth Rogen-starring "Green Hornet" film, which has been something of a punching bag for fanboys

But it's now looking like the worm has turned. The studio had a test screening Tuesday night in Long Beach that went better than anyone could have hoped for. According to one of my spies who was on hand, after the ratings cards were tabulated, the movie had scored a 93 rating in what is known as the top two boxes (the percentage of people saying the film was either excellent or very good) with 83% of the moviegoers saying they would "definitely recommend" the film to their friends.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:09 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:18 pm

funny, I looked up "plant" on wikipedia and found the same "review" :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Peven wrote:

funny, I looked up "plant" on wikipedia and found the same "review" :roll:

Damn! I thought it was real.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:20 pm

The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:33 pm

if they could cut out all the scenes with Rogen that might actually be a fun popcorn movie

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:20 pm

From Variety:
Buzz building for 'Green Hornet' - Sony reports advance aud interest rising
Andrew Stewart wrote:Before Christmas titles have proved themselves at the domestic box office, Sony is already reporting summer-like tracking for 3D pic "The Green Hornet," which bows Jan. 14 bow.

Audience tracking typically doesn't pick up for January releases until after the holidays.

According to Sony, though, 19% of young men polled made it their first choice, as did 23% of boys 13-16. In-theater promotions before Disney's similarly targeted "Tron: Legacy" helped boost awareness in those core demos.

Even female auds, who have a lot to choose from right now with "Black Swan," "The Fighter" and "Little Fockers," are showing better-than-usual interest in the comicbook adaptation.

Early word is that "Hornet" received positive reactions from a trade screening, said a rival studio exec. Some bizzers had lamented Sony's decision to push back the pic's release from a pre-Christmas bow to Martin Luthur King Jr. holiday weekend. The studio, however, cited a holiday 3D logjam as the reason for the move.

From Heat Vision:
Sony's 'The Green Hornet' Tracking Early and Well
Pamela McClintock wrote:The holidays aren’t even over and Sony’s superhero pic The Green Hornet is already showing up on tracking, scoring strong interest among teen boys. Young men follow.

Directed by Michel Gondry and starring Seth Rogen, Green Hornet opens nationwide Jan. 14. But January films don’t usually pop up on tracking until after Christmas films have cleared.

Sony insiders say that while the film is drawing support across the board, teen boys debuted with a 23 first choice and young men, 19. Those are high numbers, and usually associated with summer event titles, according to the studio. Of course, tracking is never a guarantee that sustained interest will translate to strong box office. A lot can change in the next three weeks.

That said, Sony says Green Hornet also is screening well.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:24 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Green Hornet Is On Course To Be A Big Hit
Brendon Connelly wrote:Despite being trapped in a January release date that has seen many a movie crumble to dust on the multiplex altars of America, all indications are that Green Hornet is to be a big hit when launched in a couple-few weeks. Despite a lot of early bad buzz on the webz, seemingly based on a ill feeling towards the combination of Seth Rogen and the character of The Green Hornet, and stoked by a series of delays, recastings and director changes, the signs today are that tracking on the film – the market research indication of how anticipated a film is, and how well it is likely to do – is coming along very likely.

According to “Sony insiders”, leaking to the trades and to industry friends of Bleeding Cool, the film is now tracking in a way that is directly comparable to a successful Summer blockbuster. Amongst teenage boys, the film ranks as the top choice to see 23% of the time; this only dropped to 19% with young males. High scores, especially when tested in the thick of the Christmas blockbusters – so this is the core demographic nicely taken care of.

And apparently, female audiences are responding favourably too, which suggests a real potential for a January smash. Beyond this, the film is also performing a touch beyond expectation with older audiences too. What I want to know is – where are these good vibes coming from? Are we just in the mood for another masked hero about now? Is it affection for the character? Or for Seth Rogen?

What I’ve been told today is that Green Hornet will skip over its (estimated) $85 million budget and additional marketing costs quite cleanly, likely by day 20 of release, possibly earlier. Good for Seth Rogen, good for Evan Goldberg, good for Michel Gondry – and possibly great for Jay Chou, who stands to be the picture’s breakout star in the key role of Kato.

Messrs. Rogen and Goldberg, if you haven’t already, perhaps now is the time to start spitballing sequel ideas.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:56 am

so, it's tracking well with teenage boys. woohoo. sounds like they might have the next scott pilgrim on their hands!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:03 pm

TheBaxter wrote:so, it's tracking well with teenage boys. woohoo. sounds like they might have the next scott pilgrim on their hands!

first, "Scott Pilgrim" is a pretty good flick, and i say that after exclaiming. "the guy is a douche" for most of the movie. for anyone who stays to the end and is open enough to see what the story is saying, and can handle a movie which has a style of its own instead of a the generic point-and-shoot of most Hollywood movies, the movie ends up being pretty satisfying....and if teenage boys actually "get' what the movie is saying it would make the world a better place, though I don't actually think most teenage boys have the perspective to actually "get" it...

....as for "Green Hornet", if only they could cut out all the parts with Rogen it looks like it could be a cool little popcorn flick.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:53 pm

scott pilgrim may or may not be a good movie. i haven't seen it so i couldn't say. what i can say beyond a doubt is that it bombed at the box office. so i wouldn't predict any movie to be a hit based on pre-release hype and tracking that bears a striking resemblance to scott pilgrim's numbers.

green hornet may be a good movie as well, though the ads i've seen so far seem to argue against that.
plus, that cgi green hornet suit looks ridiculous on ryan reynolds.

which raises another question.... i wonder how many of those teenage boys who said they were looking forward to this even knew which green lanterhornet movie they were asking about?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:06 pm

you know, Ryan Reynolds would have made a really good Green Hornet......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:08 am

Peven wrote:you know, Ryan Reynolds would have made a really good Green Hornet......

Yeah, it seems like they're going for the whole gag where the hero is useless and the sidekick is actually the one always saving his arse, but for that gag to be funny you need to go with a hero who at least seems plausible as a hero. The idea that Rogen would be useless doesn't really come as a surprise.

Plus, I would buy Reynolds as the rich boy throwing his life away as a part animal, whereas Rogen just blowing all his money on parties seems like he's sadly reaching his maximum potential.

Also, isn't Cameron Diaz a little old for these types of roles? Is it 1995? Did THE MASK just come out?

Peven wrote:and if teenage boys actually "get' what the movie is saying it would make the world a better place, though I don't actually think most teenage boys have the perspective to actually "get" it...

I'm not a teenager, but if there was a good message in Scott Pilgrim, then I missed it too. All I saw was a movie that said childish things (video games) can be used to solve adult (relationship) problems and that the key to winning in life is to be the main character.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion