The Green Hornet

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What did you think of The Green Hornet?

About 7-8
17%
Chilli HATED it!
83%

Total votes : 6

Re: The Green Hornet

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I'm not a teenager, but if there was a good message in Scott Pilgrim, then I missed it too. All I saw was a movie that said childish things (video games) can be used to solve adult (relationship) problems and that the key to winning in life is to be the main character.

the way i took it the "message" was about coming to terms with our own weaknesses and faults, facing them and accepting them and living through that honestly instead of creating artificial layer upon artificial layer of self-image which may make it easier to deal with things short term but only takes us further from real happiness and fulfillment. very Bruce Lee-esque, imo, i really think the movie was trying to say what Bruce once mentioned in an interview about how living a truly honest life was so difficult but that should be our goal.

I really do think Reynolds would have made a MUCH better Green Hornet than Rogen and a better Green Hornet than Green Lantern as well

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Stephen Chow would have made a better Kato, and should have directed. The Green Hornet is going to suck, because The Green Hornet is a shit character. The only reason anyone cares about the original show is because Bruce Lee was Kato.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Peven wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:I'm not a teenager, but if there was a good message in Scott Pilgrim, then I missed it too. All I saw was a movie that said childish things (video games) can be used to solve adult (relationship) problems and that the key to winning in life is to be the main character.

the way i took it the "message" was about coming to terms with our own weaknesses and faults, facing them and accepting them and living through that honestly instead of creating artificial layer upon artificial layer of self-image which may make it easier to deal with things short term but only takes us further from real happiness and fulfillment. very Bruce Lee-esque, imo, i really think the movie was trying to say what Bruce once mentioned in an interview about how living a truly honest life was so difficult but that should be our goal.

Yeah I felt the message was pretty explicitly stated when Pilgrim earned the Power of Self-Respect Sword.
The theme of the movie is, in a way, very similar to that of Chasing Amy: getting over your girlfriend's relationship baggage has less to do with her past relationships and more to do with you getting over your own shit. Physically fighting her former lovers was just a metaphor for that.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Saw a commercial for Hornet today. Have to say it did a pretty good job at selling the flick. I'm sure I'll see it but not in 3D if I can help it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:05 pm

No more godsdamned 3D. Christ, its like a fucking plague now. What's next, 3D Rom-Coms?
Give the format a rest. Merde.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:07 pm

The Vicar wrote:No more godsdamned 3D. Christ, its like a fucking plague now. What's next, 3D Rom-Coms?

We'll see you change your tune about 3D films when Monica Belluci finally appears in one. :shock:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm

so sorry wrote:
The Vicar wrote:No more godsdamned 3D. Christ, its like a fucking plague now. What's next, 3D Rom-Coms?

We'll see you change your tune about 3D films when Monica Belluci finally appears in one. :shock:

Oh you bastard......now I'm thinking about........brb :oops: :oops: :x 8-)
The Vicar

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm

The Vicar wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Irreversible in 3D?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Ohhhh....you and So Sorry can.......I......brb.
Dammit. Where's my godsdamned hand creme?
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 pm

papalazeru wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Irreversible in 3D?

The fact is, is that The Vicar, So Sorry and others here like Pacino and Nick, (Nick, you're so up your own ass with being a simple minded Admin that you'd think you're immune from my criticisms. Well, you're wrong.) would probably enjoy it. Stating the crappy excuse, "Oh it's only a movie, not real, therefore movies can do anything and we can enjoy he fuck out of anything we want, violence, sex, blah blah it's not real, so we don't take it seriously, it's just fun even as movies are harmless entertainment." ALL OF YOU!!!

Yeah, shit like that. You'd even then be a hypocrite and change your tune just to suit your own liking when your enjoyment for a film changes from immature immoral fun to being serious, your emotions turn on a dime of convenient morality depending on when your hypocritical self finds a movie to be effective on you as a piece of seriousness of just something you immorally wank over as you're fucked up at times but like to be ethical at others just to balance yourself out and look in the mirror OK.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 pm

i agree, Kirk, it is almost as bad as people who exploit sharks to further their own film-making career....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:The fact is, is that The Vicar, So Sorry and others here like Pacino and Nick, (Nick, you're so up your own ass with being a simple minded Admin that you'd think you're immune from my criticisms. Well, you're wrong.) would probably enjoy it. Stating the crappy excuse, "Oh it's only a movie, not real, therefore movies can do anything and we can enjoy he fuck out of anything we want, violence, sex, blah blah it's not real, so we don't take it seriously, it's just fun even as movies are harmless entertainment." ALL OF YOU!!!

Yeah, shit like that. You'd even then be a hypocrite and change your tune just to suit your own liking when your enjoyment for a film changes from immature immoral fun to being serious, your emotions turn on a dime of convenient morality depending on when your hypocritical self finds a movie to be effective on you as a piece of seriousness of just something you immorally wank over as you're fucked up at times but like to be ethical at others just to balance yourself out and look in the mirror OK.

Nothing but FAIL here, folks. Move along.
The Vicar

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 am

so sorry wrote:We'll see you change your tune about 3D films when Monica Belluci finally appears in one. :shock:

They're post-converting THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST as we speak.

This Easter, enter a new dimension of pain!

This Easter, consider the lily from all angles!

This Easter, Mel Gibson give you one dimension for each of Peter's denials!

This Easter, you'll need special glasses to see the light!
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Kirk, I am completely serious when I ask this: Are you on medication but fail to take it? Or are you just that far up your own ass, as you put it, that you can't entertain the possibility of any other belief but your own being valid? Or are you just the troll you seem to be on many occasions?

I suspect the last.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 pm

he's been ingesting the juice extracted from tribble adrenaline glands....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:08 pm

DennisMM wrote:Kirk, I am completely serious when I ask this: Are you on medication but fail to take it? Or are you just that far up your own ass, as you put it, that you can't entertain the possibility of any other belief but your own being valid? Or are you just the troll you seem to be on many occasions?

I suspect the last.

Kirk, the man who worked on Gulliver's Travels preaching about the validity of "good films"...

(Oh yeah, I went there... :twisted: )
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Bloo on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Anyone else hear about this; Micheal Gondry lashes out against facist comic book nerds

He does make some interesting points about nerd-dom, espically in light of a friend that sent me the link is going to boycott the film because of those comments.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 pm

i am not a comic/genre geek but i still think the Rogen casting is shit, and has little to do with his portliness and everything to do with his utter douchiness, he oozes douche, he sweats vinegar and water, he is just that fucking douchey, almost every expression he makes screams "i'm a smug asshole"......if they had replaced him with a sack of dirty laundry in "Pineapple Express" it would have been a better movie, it was entirely Franco and McBride who carried that movie to being at all watchable, and he ruined what could have been a decent movie in "Knocked Up".....

the rest of the movie looks alright, though. they should have just made it a Cato movie and started out the movie with a scene at the Green Hornet's funeral.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 pm

This film looks dull and racist, so I won't be seeing it.

It even has Cameron Diaz in it, so mediocre she is, heh wait!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 pm

From EW.com:

Benjamin Svetkey wrote:Hornet's Buzz Gets Better
After a rocky road to the screen, word of mouth on The Green Hornet is strangely positive.

You know that long-delayed, much-maligned Green Hornet movie that Sony is finally releasing on Jan. 14? The one starring Seth Rogen -- an actor who has made a career out of playing schlubby stoners -- as a masked superhero who rides around fighting crime in a heavily armed Chrysler Imperial? The film everyone is so sure will be a huge flop? Turns out it might be pretty good.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the film scored a 93 percent favorablitity rating at a fall test screening in Long Beach, Calif., with 83 percent of the audience ticking off the box that said they would "definitely recommend." More recent tracking numbers for the film are also unexpectedly strong: 23 percent of boys under 16 said it was on the top of their must-see list, while 19 percent of young men over 16 said they planned to see it. Those figures are doubly impressive considering the lukewarm reception film footage receieved at Comic-Con last summer. (The studio's decision to push its release to January -- usually a dumping ground for duds -- only worsened the buzz.) At one point, the hammering got so intense that director Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) threw away his computer. "The Internet is becoming a very ugly place," he told EW last summer. "[One blogger] wanted to send people to beat me up! If they want to be helpful, they should be less insulting."

In fairness to bloggers, The Green Hornet has been a tempting target -- and not just because of its off-type casting. The torturous, twisty history of the project goes all the way back to the '90s, when George Clooney was attached to portray newspaper publisher-turned-vigilante Britt Reid in a Universal Studios adaptation of the classic comic book/TV show.* After Clooney departed, Greg Kinnear and Mark Wahlberg supposedly considered the part, but then Miramax picked up the project, Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino did script polishes, and Jake Gyllenhaal was approached to star. It wasn't until The Green Hornet landed at Sony that Rogen got the job, not only as the star, but also as co-writer (with Superbad/Pineapple Express collaborator Evan Goldberg). At that point, Hong Kong action impresario Stephen Chow had been hired to direct as well as star as Kato, the Green Hornet's sidekick. But Chow had odd ideas for the film. "Really, really odd ideas that you would not dare bring to a studio," Gondry said. "AIDS was involved. Plastic boobs were involved too." (A rep for Chow denies Gondry's claims.) Nicolas Cage also bowed out as the villain, reportedly in part because he wanted to do his character with a Jamaican accent. He was replaced by Inglourious Basterds' Christoph Waltz. "It's been a tumultuous road," admits producer Neal Moritz. "But when you put the film in front of an audience, they don't care whether Nicolas Cage dropped out. They just care about seeing a good movie." (Additional reporting by Josh Rottenberg)

*Green Hornet's Revolving Door
A look at the actors who joined -- then left! -- the project over the years

-George Clooney: Dropped out in 1995 for Batman & Robin

-Mark Wahlberg: Circled the film in the late '90s, but the project languished

-Jake Gyllenhaal: Offered the role in 2004 by then-director Kevin Smith

-Nicolas Cage: Passed on playing the film's villain due to creative issues

-Stephen Chow: Left as director in 2008, and nixed the Kato role in 2009
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:41 am

I'll be honest, I want to see this, and even my wife, who hates movies I usually like, said she might want to see it with me.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:20 am

i still say most of those teenage boys who say they want to see this are getting the movie confused with the green lantern.

Ribbons wrote:At one point, the hammering got so intense that director Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) threw away his computer. "The Internet is becoming a very ugly place," he told EW last summer. "[One blogger] wanted to send people to beat me up! If they want to be helpful, they should be less insulting."

who says we want to be helpful, you douchebag!?1??
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Ribbons wrote:Nicolas Cage also bowed out as the villain, reportedly in part because he wanted to do his character with a Jamaican accent.

Missed opportunity. The hair piece alone would've been worth the price of admission.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm

the only way i see the story about positive testing being legit is if the movie plays Rogen as a spoiled bumbling cheesy poof being propped up by the money his character's father earned and/or the prowess of Cato throughout the movie, because if the movie really tries to sell Rogen as any kind of legitimate threat to bad guys at any point in the movie only a lobotomized audience would buy into that....then again, maybe they tested it with lobotomized audiences...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:49 pm

you know Cage would have sported dreads for that

Massive Fail!
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Cage would have been more believable as a Jamaican drug lord than Rogen is as an action hero.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Peven wrote:Cage would have been more believable as a Jamaican drug lord than Rogen is as an action hero.....

in blackface or not?
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:06 pm

either way....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Peven wrote:either way....

Guy needs the color. He's not playing the ghost of a Jamaican.
The Vicar

Postby Bloo on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:15 pm

He looks better in color
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Bloo wrote:
Peven wrote:Cage would have been more believable as a Jamaican drug lord than Rogen is as an action hero.....

in blackface or not?

Cage looks like Robocop with dreadlocks
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Robocop had a more expressive face.
The Vicar

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:50 am

All German reviews are only about how Christoph Waltz gets typecast as villain in Hollywood. (Because apparently everybody forgot that his pre-Basterds career is full of bad guys either.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 am

If you are German (or Austrian) and you want to work as an actor in Hollywood, you'd better get used to being typecast as a villain.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 am

hey, when we typecast our own black president as a nazi, what hope do the germans have?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Mori has never seen a Rogen flick he didn't like.........its true :roll:

although, that is one of the most abbreviated reviews you will ever see Mori write, like he was turning in an assignment he HAD to do, just doing the minimum requirement. i guess that is what happens when you put yourself in a position to pay back favors......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:07 pm

'Green Hornet' Positioned to Be First Commercial Hit of 2011
Pamela McClintock wrote:Conservative estimates have Green Hornet grossing in the mid-$30 million range for the four-day Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend. The film goes out Friday in 3,584 theaters domestically, including 174 Imax runs, and will easily place No. 1.

Green Hornet, converted to 3D, is poised to become the first commercial hit of 2011. Tracking has been exceptionally strong, enough to impress one-time skeptics. The film also makes a major push overseas, opening day and date in a number of key territories.

Directed by Michel Gondry and toplining Seth Rogen and Jay Chou, Green Hornet cost upward of $100 million to produce. Christoph Waltz and Cameron Diaz also star.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:12 pm

I think Gondry is an awesome/fun director, and I really don't mind Seth Rogen... that said, I've had my reservations about The Green Hornet for a long time now, and the fake-D gimmick means that I may avoid seeing this in theatres.

Plus it's only at 43% on Rotten Tomatoes as of the posting of this post!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Plus from what I've seen I think it's very racist towards Kato.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 am

An animated Noam Chomsky documentary? Now THAT I am interested in.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:22 am

i wonder if it will be pixar? maybe they can have some boy scout knock on chomsky's door, and then they take off in his house as it floats away using a bunch of balloons, all the while discussing the evils of american foreign policy and the state capitalist system. that should get the kiddies in the theater.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chilli on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I think Gondry is an awesome/fun director, and I really don't mind Seth Rogen... that said, I've had my reservations about The Green Hornet for a long time now, and the fake-D gimmick means that I may avoid seeing this in theatres.

Plus it's only at 43% on Rotten Tomatoes as of the posting of this post!

I've seen it. 43% is beyond generous. It's an atrocious film!

And it's all due to Seth. Not only is he terrible, his character is an unlikeable douchebag. It makes me think someone performed an Inception to convince him he could star in a superhero film.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Maybe this will round out some painful triple-feature evening that would also include The Spirit and The Phantom.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chilli on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Maybe this will round out some painful triple-feature evening that would also include The Spirit and The Phantom.

Take a shot every time Seth Rogen says 'balls deep' or 'awesome.' You'll be drunk twenty minutes in!
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Maybe this will round out some painful triple-feature evening that would also include The Spirit and The Phantom.

Sadist. :shock: :shock: :shock:
The Vicar

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:17 am

hey, leave The Phantom alone...it's not so bad as long as you consider it is light camp based on a newspaper comic strip....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chilli on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:16 am

Green Hornet

Here's my SPOILERED review. Longer than the AICN ones I believe.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:22 am

I for one was well entertained. Despite being negatively poised against Seth Rogen, without seeing any of his movies comer to think of it :? , I had no problem with him and the movie didn't ask me to buy him as a traditional super hero for one moment. Wouldn't have worked anyway with a character named Britt.

I'm especially at loss at Chilli's criticism of unlikeability. Seeing Rogen acting like an idiot a huge part of the fun, I laughed a lot at Cameron Diaz's job interview for instance.

If this thread had a poll I'd say 7-8
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion