Unbreakable - Now with PWNAGE by the Dino!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

What did you think of "Unbreakable"?

I loved it and totally disagree with you...
68%
I agree
16%
I'll just reply to your post and tell you what I thought of the movie and just what I think of you.
16%

Total votes : 25

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:It's quite funny that i do quite like Unbreakable, but never really thought of some of those Dino points... which are a little spasticated when you think about it... good work...

Yes, that's exactly a the Old Man's point, eh? Alla you putzes, you were alla bewitched by a the "serious" funny book picture, that dinna feature a the spandex anna capes, anna you were alla like "Best. Funny book movie. EVAR!!" anna such... when inna'stead, you should have a looked a little more carefully atta the flaws, eh?

Well not quite, if you're going to watch a film about comics, then surely you don't have to worry about thinking too much about all that stuff. Sure, you make a valid case for some things that are wrong that i didn't see before, but at the same time it won't spoil my enjoyment of watching it the next time i do... It'll just make the experience for my girlfriend exceptionally boring as i make all of your comments from above and make tham seem like they were mine...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:19 pm

i just realized something. M Night must have something against water. Unbreakable = superhero guy who's weakness is water. Signs = aliens allergic to water. Lady in the Water = shitty film. i guess night doesn't like to go swimming very much.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chilli on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:22 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i just realized something. M Night must have something against water. Unbreakable = superhero guy who's weakness is water. Signs = aliens allergic to water. Lady in the Water = shitty film. i guess night doesn't like to go swimming very much.

hehehehe.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby ONeillSG1 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:44 pm

thebostonlocksmith wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
thebostonlocksmith wrote:It's quite funny that i do quite like Unbreakable, but never really thought of some of those Dino points... which are a little spasticated when you think about it... good work...

Yes, that's exactly a the Old Man's point, eh? Alla you putzes, you were alla bewitched by a the "serious" funny book picture, that dinna feature a the spandex anna capes, anna you were alla like "Best. Funny book movie. EVAR!!" anna such... when inna'stead, you should have a looked a little more carefully atta the flaws, eh?

Well not quite, if you're going to watch a film about comics, then surely you don't have to worry about thinking too much about all that stuff. Sure, you make a valid case for some things that are wrong that i didn't see before, but at the same time it won't spoil my enjoyment of watching it the next time i do... It'll just make the experience for my girlfriend exceptionally boring as i make all of your comments from above and make tham seem like they were mine...

And that's why she loves you.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:07 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Anna to get a back onna topic, eh? My problems with a the Unna'breakable, they are a numerous, eh? But a to just a name a the few...

Firstly, right offa the bat, you gotta the goddamn title screen that say something like "Every year, 17 million funny books, they sold inna the U.S., eh?" anna right there, inna the first 15 seconds of a the movie, you gotta alla the women inna the audience saying "holy crappa... you take a me to a the goddamn FUNNY BOOK a movie!?!?" Shyamalan, that putz, he alienates a half a the audience right there anna gets a the other half inna trouble with a their mates, thus impacting a the remaining enna'joyment of a the picture, eh?

Second, you gotta the Shyamalan, who knocked it outta the park onna his first outing with a the Sixth Sense, but he's a the goddamn one-trick pony, eh? He's a no Spielberg, that's a for sure... Unna'like a the Spielberg, he TELLS us everything inna the Unna'breakable, inna'stead of a showing us, eh?

For example, you gotta the Sammy J. character, anna through a the whole goddamn movie, he's a like a the goddamn Chatty-Cathy, "Joe Expository", no? Giving a the goddamn Bruce's character a the goddamn "Funny Books 101" lessons anna such, even a going so far as a to say "Look atta alla the super villians, eh? The artists, they draw them with a the big heads anna bulging eyes anna such, no?" as iffa we dinna notice that a the Sammy J, he's a gotta that crazy hair-do anna the bug-eyes, eh?

Anna then a you gotta the whole thing with a the water, no? Again, you gotta the Sammy J. saying "oh, the water, she's a like a your Kryptonite, eh? Alla the superheroes, they gotta the weakness, eh?" just inna case a we too stupid to figure it alla out, no? Anna then a we gotta to have a the Bruce say "hmm... when I was a the little kid, I alla'most drowned, eh? Anna I dinna bother to try anna swim ever again!!"

Compare that with a the Chief Brody inna the Jaws, eh? From a the very first a scene with a the character onna the ferry, we can a tell from a his body language anna actions, he donna like a the water, eh? Anna so' s a when a the character, they say "you donna like a the water, eh Chief?" atta that point, we alla'ready know it, eh? Anna the question, she becomes alla humorous a 'cos it's a the yokel-gag of a stating a the obvious inna'stead of a the goddamn expository dialog, no?

Third, once a the goddamn Shyamalan sets uppa the film with alla the expository dialog, he donna make a the biggest pay-off of alla, eh? He tell us plain anna simple that a the villian is a the EXACT OPPOSITE of a the hero, eh? Anna so while a the Bruce, he's unna'breakable, you gotta the Sammy J who's totally breakable, eh? With a the fragile anna brittle bones anna such... anna so's a the final pay-off, she would have a been after explaining a the Kryptonite deal with a the water, he should have a shown a the Sammy J. inna the swimming pool or a the therapy pool atta the hospital or a something, moving alla graceful anna flexible anna free inna the water, doing a the "hydro-weight" training anna such, a 'cos a the water, she is a the only place where his a bones, they donna break anna he can a do things inna the water he just a canna do onna land, eh? Inna the water, he has a the strength anna agility, no? Unna'like a the Bruce, who sink a like a the goddamn rock, no?

Fourth, you gotta the whole idea of a the adult man who dinna notice a before that he's a gotta the super-strength anna such ever before inna his a life? Holy crappa that premise, she is alla kinds of a the stupid, eh? Yes, yes, he says something like "I was alla'ways a the good athlete" anna such but holy crappa! The putz, he suddenly discovers as a the adult he can a bench a like a the 700 lbs with ease, no? You donna think he would have a discovered something like a that earlier inna his a life? Like a say, inna the workout room inna the gym a when he play a the football inna high school anna such?

Goddamn... I could a go on.... but I gotta to catch uppa onna the other threads, eh?

AT the risk of this thread turning into Dino-against-the-Zone... I wholeheartedly agree with him... I hated this movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:20 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Goddamn putzes! A the Winston, he would a be NOTHING without a the Dino paving a the goddamn way with a the Kong robot, eh? Alla the peoples, they say a the goddamn monkey robot, she was a the goddamn failure, eh? But goddamn... atta least she was INNA THE ONE PIECE, eh? Anna no goddamn CGI to hide alla the flaws anna shortcomings, eh?

Alla you putzes, they alla talk about a the goddamn T-Rex inna the Jurassic Park anna how fantastic she was, eh? Holy crappa... the goddamn Winston, he could a not even a create a the goddamn T-Rex robot inna one piece, eh? He hadda the top part with a the head, anna he hadda the separate part with a the legs, eh? NOT ONCE did a they ever put a the two pieces together, eh? My Kong robot? She was inna the ONE PIECE. Okay, so she leak a the goddamn hydraulic fluid like a the Liz Taylor anna her inna'conna'tinence problem, but still... the Dino, he deliver onna what he say he would, eh?

Anna as a for a the quote... she was a from a the now famous articleinna the Time magazine, eh? Holy crappa... that was a the best piece of a the hype I could ever have a pulled over onna alla you putzes, eh? Hehehehe... anna totally FREE! BWAAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Time.com wrote:But when he allows his highly emotional commitment to this project to show, one cannot help but hope the film's second half lives up to the promise of the first half, cannot help hoping no one shoots him from his perch atop the dream edifice he has constructed. "No one cry when Jaws die," Dino says, his voice rising in passion as he develops his theme. "But when the monkey die, people gonna cry. Intellectuals gonna love Kong; even film buffs who love the first Kong gonna love ours. Why? Because I no give them crap. I no spend two, three million to do quick business. I spend 24 million on my Kong. I give them quality. I got here a great love story, a great adventure. And she rated P.G. For everybody."

I was already choking from laughing too hard, and then you go and post up this alleged 'Time' piece.

Ah, good gravy, my sides hurt.

Dino, it sure was one piece, steaming.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:27 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Firstly, right offa the bat, you gotta the goddamn title screen that say something like "Every year, 17 million funny books, they sold inna the U.S., eh?"

This is nitpicking more than anything. Not once since this film was released have I heard anyone complain about that opening title. And believe me, I've had people screaming at the top of their lungs at me about how much this movie sucked.

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:blah blah blah, exposition out the ass, blah blah blah.

Fair enough.

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Something about Sam Jackson being in water.

This would have been a setup with no payoff, not a payoff. Can you honestly tell me that had that scene been written/filmed, people wouldn't have been pissed off because they never got an epic underwater battle between the two of them? I think the scene of Sam falling down the stairs, breaking nearly every bone in his body, that was enough visual exposition.

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Bruce Willis lifted a lot of weight, why didn't he before?

Watch it again, you see that he can lift it, but this isn't Superman levels of strength. It took an effort. He was able to do it, but you can't say it was simple for him. Realistically, no one in their right mind is going to EVER try to lift weight beyond a normal level. If he struggled to lift "normal" weight, why would he ever try to go beyond that? It doesn't make sense to me.

I can see your point on a couple things, but I don't really agree. Then again, I love the movie.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:18 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i just realized something. M Night must have something against water.

Holy crappa... it's a too easy, eh?

Hehehehe....
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Fawst wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Firstly, right offa the bat, you gotta the goddamn title screen that say something like "Every year, 17 million funny books, they sold inna the U.S., eh?"

This is nitpicking more than anything. Not once since this film was released have I heard anyone complain about that opening title.

Anna therefore my opinion, she is inna'valid? Goddamn putz.

Fawst wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Something about Sam Jackson being in water.

This would have been a setup with no payoff, not a payoff. Can you honestly tell me that had that scene been written/filmed, people wouldn't have been pissed off because they never got an epic underwater battle between the two of them? I think the scene of Sam falling down the stairs, breaking nearly every bone in his body, that was enough visual exposition.

You miss a my point enna'tirely, paisan. I dinna say just a "something" about a the Sammy J inna the water, eh? I was a giving a yet a the 'nother example of a the rampant exposition inna the film inna'stead of a the filming of a the simple scene which would have eloquently 'splained a the "villian is a the opposite of a the hero" inna the cinematic way as opposed to a the goddamn expository way, eh? It's a not a the matter of a seeing how a the goddamn bones, they brittle, eh? It's alla 'bout a showing that a the water is a the bad for a the hero anna good for a the villian, eh?

Goddamn putz.

Fawst wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Bruce Willis lifted a lot of weight, why didn't he before?

Watch it again, you see that he can lift it, but this isn't Superman levels of strength. It took an effort. He was able to do it, but you can't say it was simple for him. Realistically, no one in their right mind is going to EVER try to lift weight beyond a normal level.

Goddamn... atta least a give a me a the respect of a quoting my comments inna'stead of a the goddamn paraphrasing, eh? The Dino, he donna just a do this:

Fawst wrote:Nothing of a significance a 'cos he's a too blinded by his a love for a the film a to accept a the truth, eh?

Goddamn putz. Back onna point... it donna take a the effort, eh? Sure, he lifts it slowly, no? But it's a not a like he's a grunting with a the veins popping out onna his a forehead anna such, eh? He's a just a calmly anna slowly testing a the limits of a how much he can a lift, anna iffa the Dino's memory, she serves (I only watched it a the one time a when a she was a released) the only reason he stopped was a 'cos it was a time a for dinner or a something, no? i.e. he could have a prolly lifted more, no?

Anna it's a not unna'reasonable to assume that atta some point inna his a life, iffa he had a this inna'credible strength, it would have a manifested itself inna some way before, no? Like he's a gotta the 10 putzes onna him anna yet he still strides his a way to a the end zone? Anna alla the putzes, they think "hmm... you donna see THAT every day, eh?"
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:42 pm

Dino, that was an excellent critique of the film. The position I've always taken is that it's not Shyamalan's best but that I enjoy it more than the others.

However, twice you have mentioned David Dunn's failure to notice his incredible strength earlier in his life. I'll posit that he may be able to use his strength to some degree when he unconsciously feels a need for it. Perhaps that explains why a man of average physical size was a football star who might have gone pro. Perhaps he also can summon the strength when great need, physical or emotional, is involved.

For instance, during college - when he tore off a car door and threw it in order to remove Audrey from their overturned car. She didn't like him being involved in violent sports. How would she feel if she learned he could tear through steel in the right circumstances? He faked a knee injury and seemingly repressed his memory of the incident because he didn't want to be anything but the nice, sweet guy Audrey loved.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:44 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Anna to get a back onna topic, eh? My problems with a the Unna'breakable, they are a numerous, eh? But a to just a name a the few...

Firstly, right offa the bat, you gotta the goddamn title screen that say something like "Every year, 17 million funny books, they sold inna the U.S., eh?" anna right there, inna the first 15 seconds of a the movie, you gotta alla the women inna the audience saying "holy crappa... you take a me to a the goddamn FUNNY BOOK a movie!?!?" Shyamalan, that putz, he alienates a half a the audience right there anna gets a the other half inna trouble with a their mates, thus impacting a the remaining enna'joyment of a the picture, eh?

Second, you gotta the Shyamalan, who knocked it outta the park onna his first outing with a the Sixth Sense, but he's a the goddamn one-trick pony, eh? He's a no Spielberg, that's a for sure... Unna'like a the Spielberg, he TELLS us everything inna the Unna'breakable, inna'stead of a showing us, eh?

For example, you gotta the Sammy J. character, anna through a the whole goddamn movie, he's a like a the goddamn Chatty-Cathy, "Joe Expository", no? Giving a the goddamn Bruce's character a the goddamn "Funny Books 101" lessons anna such, even a going so far as a to say "Look atta alla the super villians, eh? The artists, they draw them with a the big heads anna bulging eyes anna such, no?" as iffa we dinna notice that a the Sammy J, he's a gotta that crazy hair-do anna the bug-eyes, eh?

Anna then a you gotta the whole thing with a the water, no? Again, you gotta the Sammy J. saying "oh, the water, she's a like a your Kryptonite, eh? Alla the superheroes, they gotta the weakness, eh?" just inna case a we too stupid to figure it alla out, no? Anna then a we gotta to have a the Bruce say "hmm... when I was a the little kid, I alla'most drowned, eh? Anna I dinna bother to try anna swim ever again!!"

Compare that with a the Chief Brody inna the Jaws, eh? From a the very first a scene with a the character onna the ferry, we can a tell from a his body language anna actions, he donna like a the water, eh? Anna so' s a when a the character, they say "you donna like a the water, eh Chief?" atta that point, we alla'ready know it, eh? Anna the question, she becomes alla humorous a 'cos it's a the yokel-gag of a stating a the obvious inna'stead of a the goddamn expository dialog, no?

Third, once a the goddamn Shyamalan sets uppa the film with alla the expository dialog, he donna make a the biggest pay-off of alla, eh? He tell us plain anna simple that a the villian is a the EXACT OPPOSITE of a the hero, eh? Anna so while a the Bruce, he's unna'breakable, you gotta the Sammy J who's totally breakable, eh? With a the fragile anna brittle bones anna such... anna so's a the final pay-off, she would have a been after explaining a the Kryptonite deal with a the water, he should have a shown a the Sammy J. inna the swimming pool or a the therapy pool atta the hospital or a something, moving alla graceful anna flexible anna free inna the water, doing a the "hydro-weight" training anna such, a 'cos a the water, she is a the only place where his a bones, they donna break anna he can a do things inna the water he just a canna do onna land, eh? Inna the water, he has a the strength anna agility, no? Unna'like a the Bruce, who sink a like a the goddamn rock, no?

Fourth, you gotta the whole idea of a the adult man who dinna notice a before that he's a gotta the super-strength anna such ever before inna his a life? Holy crappa that premise, she is alla kinds of a the stupid, eh? Yes, yes, he says something like "I was alla'ways a the good athlete" anna such but holy crappa! The putz, he suddenly discovers as a the adult he can a bench a like a the 700 lbs with ease, no? You donna think he would have a discovered something like a that earlier inna his a life? Like a say, inna the workout room inna the gym a when he play a the football inna high school anna such?

Goddamn... I could a go on.... but I gotta to catch uppa onna the other threads, eh?

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:00 pm

DennisMM wrote:However, twice you have mentioned David Dunn's failure to notice his incredible strength earlier in his life. I'll posit that he may be able to use his strength to some degree when he unconsciously feels a need for it. Perhaps that explains why a man of average physical size was a football star who might have gone pro. Perhaps he also can summon the strength when great need, physical or emotional, is involved.

For instance, during college - when he tore off a car door and threw it in order to remove Audrey from their overturned car. She didn't like him being involved in violent sports. How would she feel if she learned he could tear through steel in the right circumstances? He faked a knee injury and seemingly repressed his memory of the incident because he didn't want to be anything but the nice, sweet guy Audrey loved.

Perhaps... but donna that a sound a like a the last-minute rewrite onna the set a 'cos a some gaffer, he say "how come he dinna notice a before a now that he gotta the super-strength, eh?"
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:02 pm

after reading dino's posts, i'm beginning to understand why this film always gets compared to Heroes.

except, i liked this movie anyway.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Chilli on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Eh, I'm not sure Dino wants anyone to suddenly dislike the film, he's just pointing out that there ARE some flawed areas. And I, as I said earlier, think he's absolutely right. There's a few things that don't work within the film, a few things which haven't been included at all and a few more things that should have been removed in editing.

But I like it anyway.

I think the comic-book genre is so fantastical (even when attempts are made to make it 'realistic' like in Unbreakable and Heroes) that it can't ever hit a point of reality in the same way as other films. We'll always be questioning why characters do one thing instead of another, why it takes so long for their powers to activate, why they don't use them in certain situations etc, etc.

And its harder to nail the form in a film, because comic-books are traditionally led by exposition. Voiceover, narration, diary entries - these are techniques that (usually) work better within the realm of a comic-book than they do in a film, because in a comic-book you're getting a very specific view of a world, with no distractions save for what lies within the panel.

So a film aping a comic-book is going to get a lot of crap if it sticks too closely to the format (and, as mentioned, Unbreakable feels like an origin tale), but its going to get a lot of crap if they dare attempt to make it more gritty and realistic, because people are more capable of looking over flaws within a comic-book flick if said flick acknowledgs and embraces the goofy perception most of America has of the comic-book genre.

Certain things within the film are true to life of comic-books, the readers of which will buy toxic waste being able to give superhuman powers without batting an eyelid. But you can't do that on film, because its dramatic bullshit and has no scientific merit or value, instead being an impossible concept which acted out doesn't work for anyone.

We have an interesting debate going on in the Batman: Dark Knight thread in regards to how logical the vapor machine is from the original. In the comic-books, people may take offence but it wouldn't cause as visceral a reaction. On screen its harder to rationalise, as is the fatc that Niki on Heroes doesn't automatically embrace her ability, or embrace it at all realy, people complaining because she should be kicking ass by now.

Its a case of film, and TV, being damned if they do and damned if they don't when it comes to comic-book properties, which is a little sad when you think about it because comic-books have some of the best properties (in terms of films and the comic-books you can purchase from many a store) out there.

In short, I don't think Dino's points are wrong. They're right. But I also think people who aren't into comic-books will not be able to rationalise certain plot twists to the same extent as people who are, because the people who are into them have a certain understanding of what the form demands, and can (somewhat) accept that when its translated onto screen.

That's my (longer than) two cents anyway.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fawst on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:26 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Anna therefore my opinion, she is inna'valid? Goddamn putz.

In my opinion, your opinion sucks.

Just kidding, seriously. I wasn't trying to say your opinion was invalid, silly old man. It's pretty unique, like I said, no one else has ever brought that up before.

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:You miss a my point enna'tirely, paisan. I dinna say just a "something" about a the Sammy J inna the water, eh? I was a giving a yet a the 'nother example of a the rampant exposition inna the film inna'stead of a the filming of a the simple scene which would have eloquently 'splained a the "villian is a the opposite of a the hero" inna the cinematic way as opposed to a the goddamn expository way, eh? It's a not a the matter of a seeing how a the goddamn bones, they brittle, eh? It's alla 'bout a showing that a the water is a the bad for a the hero anna good for a the villian, eh?

Goddamn putz.

Well, when you put it that way, bravo. Makes perfect sense.

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Fawst wrote:

Goddamn... atta least a give a me a the respect of a quoting my comments inna'stead of a the goddamn paraphrasing, eh? The Dino, he donna just a do this:

Fawst wrote:Nothing of a significance a 'cos he's a too blinded by his a love for a the film a to accept a the truth, eh?

LOL! Come on, surely you saw that I was trying to conserve space? Your post was huge, I was trying to save time :) But no, in this case, I'm not blinded by love for the film "to accept the truth." We just disagree on this one. Princess Bride? Yah, maybe I'm blinded on that one, and I'll admit the possibility.

Don't worry, your opinion is still valid... even after all these years... these loooooong, endless years...

Maybe I need to watch this one again, it has been years.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:02 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Compare that with a the Chief Brody inna the Jaws, eh? From a the very first a scene with a the character onna the ferry, we can a tell from a his body language anna actions, he donna like a the water, eh? Anna so' s a when a the character, they say "you donna like a the water, eh Chief?" atta that point, we alla'ready know it, eh? Anna the question, she becomes alla humorous a 'cos it's a the yokel-gag of a stating a the obvious inna'stead of a the goddamn expository dialog, no?

Yes, Jaws is the quintessential example of classic restrained storytelling, unlike the one piece robot Kong with endless expositionary scenes.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Some of these are valid points, actually. While I love the movie, I don't think it's perfect, just great, and I can definitely see how if you're not into comic books in the first place you might get a little alienated.

As for that last one, though, I do have to point out that if you've ever actually lifted weights, you don't gun for your peak, you gun for what's challenging, so you don't kill yourself. In the scene where we see him lifting those heavy weights, he can DO it, but he's putting a lot of effort into it, which I happen to think is a nice touch.

That first paragraph, though...

You call THIS a criticism of the film? Sorry Dino, but I'm afraid in this, at least you are full of...

This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:18 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i just realized something. M Night must have something against water. Unbreakable = superhero guy who's weakness is water. Signs = aliens allergic to water. Lady in the Water = shitty film. i guess night doesn't like to go swimming very much.

Actually that's one of his signatures, weakness/fear relating to water, which I believe stems from a near-drowning experience M Night had earlier in his life.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:25 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Sci Fi Channel hoax

In 2004, Shyamalan was involved in a media hoax with the Sci Fi Channel, which when eventually uncovered by the press, prompted Sci Fi's parent company, NBC-Universal, to denounce the undertaking as "not consistent with our policy at NBC. We would never intend to offend the public or the press and we value our relationship with both."[36]

Sci Fi claimed in its "documentary" special — The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan, shot on the set of The Village — that Shyamalan was legally dead for nearly a half-hour while drowned in a frozen pond in a childhood accident, and that upon being rescued he had experiences of communicating with spirits, fueling an obsession with the supernatural. The Sci Fi Channel also claimed that Shyamalan had grown "sour" when the "documentary" filmmakers' questions got too personal, and had therefore withdrawn from participating and threatened to sue the filmmakers.

In truth, Shyamalan developed the hoax with Sci Fi, going so far as having Sci Fi staffers sign non-disclosure agreements with a $5-million fine attached and requiring Shyamalan's office to formally approve each step. Neither the childhood accident nor the supposed rift with the filmmakers ever occurred. The hoax included a non-existent Sci Fi publicist, "David Westover", whose name appeared on press releases regarding the special. Sci Fi also fed false news stories to the Associated Press[37] and Zap2It.com,[38] among others. A New York Post news item, based on a Sci Fi press release, referred to Shyamalan's attorneys threatening to sue the filmmakers; the attorneys named were non-existent.

After an AP reporter confronted Sci Fi Channel president Bonnie Hammer at a press conference, Hammer admitted the hoax, saying it was part of a guerrilla marketing campaign to generate pre-release publicity for The Village. Despite his office's disclosure-agreement requirement and approvals of each marketing step, Shyamalan told the AP, "I was, of course, involved in the production of the special but had nothing to do with the marketing of it. If the Sci Fi Channel erred in their marketing strategy, it was totally out of enthusiasm."[36] Other critics have since deemed viewers to be victim of a somewhat 'cheap' promotional trick which went too far[39].
DennisMM

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Well so much for that then... but I hadn't heard all that supernatural mumbo jumbo, just that he'd had an accident as a child.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 am

Seeing the quote there now, it seems sort of intrusive and rude, more a rebuttal than sharing information. I'm sorry if it came across that way, Pacino.
DennisMM

Unbreakable - Now with PWNAGE by the Dino!

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:59 am

Unbreakable is M. night's best film... EVER!

Its a great charecter piece and I watche it when ever possible.

Go on then, bitch away! BUT THE MOVIE IS A FANTASTIC WORK OF ART!

and it was the movie that convinced me that M Night could do no wrong...

Then he made the Village.....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:16 am

I located the earlier version of the script I've mentioned several times. It's dated 10/8/99, thirteen months before the release. It opens with Elijah's birth, not the title cards about comic books. Here is how it ends.

M. Night Shyamalan wrote:Elijah looks down at the newspaper.

David hesitates and then reaches forward.

He reaches past the paper... And TOUCHES ELIJAH'S ARM.

FLASHCUT: AN AIRPORT GATE. ELIJAH IS STANDING AT THE WINDOW LOOKING OUT ONTO THE
AIRFIELD. HE'S CRYING.

SIRENS START SOUNDING THROUGHOUT THE AIRPORT.

WAITING PASSENGERS START GETTING UP AND MOVING TO THE WINDOWS.

MAN
What's going on?

Elijah speaks to no one in particular as he stares out the window with tortured
eyes.

ELIJAH
A plane just crashed.

CUT TO:

FLASH CUT: ELIJAH AND AN ELDERLY MAN IN A UNIFORM ARE SEATED IN A HOTEL BAR.

ELDERLY MAN
I've worked here twenty-five
years. I know all its
secrets.

ELIJAH
Secrets?

ELDERLY MAN(whispers)
Like if there was ever a
fire on floors one, two, or
three... Everyone in this
hotel would be burned alive.

ELIJAH LOOKS UP FROM HIS DRINK.

CUT TO:

FLASHCUT: ELIJAH LEAVES THE ENGINEERING ROOM OF AN AMTRAK TRAIN. HE PASSES THE
ENGINEER WHO HAS JUST ARRIVED WITH COFFEE.

ENGINEER
Passengers aren't allowed in
there.

Elijah doesn't answer and doesn't turn around as he exits train 177.

SLAM CUT BACK TO PRESENT:

David takes two unsteady steps back. Elijah has tears in his eyes as he gazes
down at the newspaper. He looks up to David.

ELIJAH(low voice)
I almost gave up hope. There
were so many times I
questioned myself. I've made
so many sacrifices but it's
all been worth it.
(beat)
There are millions and
millions or mediocre people
in the world David. Isn't it
great that we aren't one of
them?

David looks like he stopped breathing as he backs up in the store.

Customers step between him and Elijah. Elijah becomes obscured and then blocked
from view.

CUT TO:

EXT. STREET - DAY

David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David Dunne blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

FADE TO BLACK:

Oh, and Dino?

M. Night Shyamalan wrote:THE FACE OF A TWENTY YEAR OLD MEGAN IS UPSIDE DOWN. She is unconscious.

DAVID
Megan...

She doesn't answer. Her body is twitching as it sits pinned behind the wheel.

David pulls at the handle of the mangled door. It's wedged tight. It won't move.

The heat from the fire is tremendous.

David's powerful arms keep pulling with all their strength.

WE HEAR THE CREAK OF METAL... THE DOOR BENDS UNNATURALLY AND THEN PRACTICALLY
RIPS OPEN.

David leans into the car and unbuckles Megan. He works her out underneath the
steering column. He slides out. Her leg is bleeding.
DennisMM

Postby minstrel on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:28 am

The Dino made one point I wondered about when I saw the film. How does a guy grow to adulthood and Bruce Willis's age without knowing that he has superpowers? Without knowing that he's unusually strong, or that he never gets injured even when he's in dangerous situations?

The old "I'm just lucky, I guess" argument doesn't wash.

And how 'bout being able to read people's minds by touching them? He wouldn't notice that that's a bit unusual?

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but sometimes Shyamalan asks us to suspend massive tonnages of disbelief, and my disbelief-suspending muscles just aren't up to it.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

M. Night Shyamalan's MORE UNBREAKABLE?

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Bleeding Cool 05/30/2013:
M. Night Shyamalan Says An Unbreakable Sequel Is Getting Closer But A Tiny Film Is Probably Next

Where M. Night Shyamalan Went Wrong: Unbreakable
Eric Eisenberg wrote:
After Earth, the new movie from director M. Night Shyamalan arrives in theaters this weekend…but you wouldn’t know it’s one of his films by watching the trailer. The filmmaker’s name is almost completely absent from the trailers and advertisements, and all this week we here at Cinema Blend are trying to figure out where it all went wrong. First up we have Eric, who explains how 2000’s Unbreakable was the movie that set Shyamalan on the wrong path.

M. Night Shyamalan’s Unbreakable is a very good movie. The story is subtle and the script has a great pace and structure. The performances, particularly those by stars Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson, are engaging and thought-provoking. The direction is stylish and full of daring and attention-grabbing camerawork that adds to every scene. It’s an even more interesting to look back on now, as it was released in the earliest years of the 21st century superhero boom. It showed great promise from a filmmaker that knocked everybody’s socks off with his first feature…that is, until the final few minutes.

While it was the killer twist at the end of The Sixth Sense that first made both critics and audiences fall in love with Shyamalan, it was the cheap knock-off twist at the end of Unbreakable that was the definitive warning shot that should have told audiences to be wary of overpraising the newcomer writer/director.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Patton Oswalt's The Unbreakables

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:39 am

Dream Sequels: Patton Oswalt's Unbreakable 2

The Importance of UNBREAKABLE In A Pre-Marvel Cinematic Universe
Where does M. Night Shyamalan's comic book movie stand now?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Unbreakable - Now with PWNAGE by the Dino!

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:45 am

I like Unbreakable a lot but have no desire to see a sequel. It felt like a pretty self-contained story to me and turning it into a franchise would kind of ruin that. So Patton Oswalt is a moron and can go die in a fire and also I hate him, is what I'm saying.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Ribbons wrote:I like Unbreakable a lot but have no desire to see a sequel. It felt like a pretty self-contained story to me and turning it into a franchise would kind of ruin that. So Patton Oswalt is a moron and can go die in a fire and also I hate him, is what I'm saying.

i disagree with Patton on his idea for a sequel to Unbreakable, but anyone who hates Patton Oswalt is lacking at least part of a soul :twisted:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

TheButcher wrote:spoilers

i didn't read past the Split spoilers, but as far as an unbreakable sequel, i would've liked to have gotten that film about 15 years ago. the version of a Shyamalan film we'd get now, i'm not sure i want to see that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re:

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Bumped for ThrowBack Thursday goodness...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 pm

^^ Soon to be buried by TheButcher's multiple posts about any tiny non news links regarding this film, even stuff like Schyamalan sneezing whilst thinking of Unbreakable 2.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:01 pm

/film:
M. Night Shyamalan Controls the Sequel Options to His Films
Jack Giroux wrote: the director talks about some deals he was wise enough to make early on in his career
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:14 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:^^ Soon to be buried by TheButcher's multiple posts about any tiny non news links regarding this film, even stuff like Schyamalan sneezing whilst thinking of Unbreakable 2.

/film:
M. Night Shyamalan Controls the Sequel Options to His Films
Jack Giroux wrote: the director talks about some deals he was wise enough to make early on in his career

Kirks nailed it! :lol:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Re:

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 pm

so sorry wrote:

Bumped for ThrowBack Thursday goodness...

that must have been a day his nurse was late changing his Depends and he was extra cranky :-P :lol: :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re:

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 pm

so sorry wrote:

AT the risk of this thread turning into Dino-against-the-Zone... I wholeheartedly agree with him... I hated this movie.

So this was on HBO last night, and I decided to rewatch it, having only seen it once, many many years ago.

My shortest re-review:
I didn't hate it (like I said I did oh those many years ago). But I didn't like it either.

My medium sized re-review:
Like pretty much all M Night films I've seen, I have numerous problems with his movie logic (suspension of disbelief in effect, but he still manages to push me over the edge).

My longer re-review:
For example, the "kryptonite" effect that water has on My Glass and David. Um, guess what fellas? WE ALL FUCKING DROWN IN WATER. ITS NOT YOUR PERSONAL KYPTONITE, ITS THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE'S KRYPTONITE.
And this notion that Mr Glass is somehow traveling the world causing massive casualty disasters? So his plan all along was to keep killing people until one of them proved unkillable? And he managed to find this person in his own fucking neighborhood after all that? Too much for me to swallow. And like Fievel said above, the idea that David's superpowers weren't noticed by him for his entire life is also a tough pill to swallow. PERHAPS what M Night was trying to get at was David's powers didn't really manifest themselves until he emerged from the train crash, and talking to Mr Exposition opened his mind up to his powers. That would have been more plausible but it wasn't explained that way. And last but not least, the bizarrely abrupt ending, complete with a TV cop-drama ending credits telling me what happened to the main characters....uber cheesy and felt like he didn't really know how to end the movie and ran out of time. There's a link in this thread somehwere that talks about an alternate ending that seems like it would have been a better fit, but feels like M Night got cold feet with a more obscure ending and gave us this crap.

My upon-further-reflection re-review:
Yeah, I think I do still hate it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Kryptonite - it's his "kryptonite" in the sense that it is the one thing he is vulnerable to. yeah, ALL people are vulnerable to drowning, but that's not the point. the point is, things that average people are vulnerable to, he is not vulnerable to, EXCEPT for water. it's not exactly the same as kryptonite/superman, water doesn't make him weaker (as far as we know) or more vulnerable to other non-kryptonite dangers, or kill him outright (like water does to those Signs aliens). but it's close enough to be an apt comparison.

Mr. Glass wasn't "travelling the world" causing disasters, he only caused 3 and they were all local: the train crash, something at an airport, and a building fire. the other newspaper clippings from other disasters weren't things he caused (how exactly would he cause a mudslide in Mexico anyway? can he make it rain at will.... then again, that would play to the "heroes and villains are opposites" thing if he could). they were things he clipped because he was looking for his opposite. and all the clippings referring to survivors would have meant his search ended long ago, if he had been causing them. no, those clippings were just part of his insane theories (which are nothing more than that, there's no evidence that anything he says about every villain having a hero who is his opposite is true, and in fact in comics, most villains aren't the exact opposites of the heroes; it's just his crazy theory, not reality). so since he was only looking locally (maybe he figured his superhero alter ego would have to be someone who lived nearby, because after all, in the comics the heroes and villains all live in the same city as each other too), he was only going to find someone who met his search parameters locally. if there wasn't, there wouldn't ever have been a movie in the first place (or it would have been a movie about a crazy guy who kills people looking for a non-existent invulnerable superhero instead), frankly it's not that much of a leap of faith compared to the logic-bending in most any other fantasy/sci-fi/superhero film. also, i think there's an implication that david isn't unique, but that there are people like him all over the world (hence all those other sole survivor news clippings) and that mr. glass just happened to find the one, or one of the ones, living in his own city.

finally, the part about david not realizing his powers til adulthood... i think on some level he DID know, maybe not precisely, but to some degree he realized he was different, but he was in some denial about it, or only aware at a subconscious level. he lied about his car crash injury, and used it as an excuse to stop playing football, and he's extremely resistant to any suggestion that he has these powers until stuff happens he can't explain away anymore. that's always been my take on the character. i think he has convinced himself that there's nothing special about him, and rationalizes away anything that happened up to that point. for example, the weight lifting scene... i think there's a mind-over-matter aspect, that he never attempted more weight because his mind was holding him back even though his body was more than capable of lifting more and more weight. that's why he seems to struggle to lift the weight, even at lower weights, it's his body slowly breaking through the constraints that his mind has been putting on him.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:01 pm

TheBaxter wrote:finally, the part about david not realizing his powers til adulthood... i think on some level he DID know, maybe not precisely, but to some degree he realized he was different, but he was in some denial about it, or only aware at a subconscious level. he lied about his car crash injury, and used it as an excuse to stop playing football, and he's extremely resistant to any suggestion that he has these powers until stuff happens he can't explain away anymore. that's always been my take on the character. i think he has convinced himself that there's nothing special about him, and rationalizes away anything that happened up to that point. for example, the weight lifting scene... i think there's a mind-over-matter aspect, that he never attempted more weight because his mind was holding him back even though his body was more than capable of lifting more and more weight. that's why he seems to struggle to lift the weight, even at lower weights, it's his body slowly breaking through the constraints that his mind has been putting on him.

Yeah I guess I can buy that thinking. Not sure how he could suppress his "touch you and find out your sins" aspect though. Again, unless that power hadn't manifested itself yet.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:08 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:finally, the part about david not realizing his powers til adulthood... i think on some level he DID know, maybe not precisely, but to some degree he realized he was different, but he was in some denial about it, or only aware at a subconscious level. he lied about his car crash injury, and used it as an excuse to stop playing football, and he's extremely resistant to any suggestion that he has these powers until stuff happens he can't explain away anymore. that's always been my take on the character. i think he has convinced himself that there's nothing special about him, and rationalizes away anything that happened up to that point. for example, the weight lifting scene... i think there's a mind-over-matter aspect, that he never attempted more weight because his mind was holding him back even though his body was more than capable of lifting more and more weight. that's why he seems to struggle to lift the weight, even at lower weights, it's his body slowly breaking through the constraints that his mind has been putting on him.

Yeah I guess I can buy that thinking. Not sure how he could suppress his "touch you and find out your sins" aspect though. Again, unless that power hadn't manifested itself yet.

i think again, as his mind opens up to the possibility as the film goes on, his premonitions become more real and powerful. early on when he's a security guard and he chases down that guy with a weapon, he doesn't have a clear vision of it so much as a hunch that turns out to be right. when mr. glass asks him about it, he refers to other "hunches" he's had but never thought they were anything more than that. later, when he starts beginning to believe, his visions become more concrete.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:52 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:

i think again, as his mind opens up to the possibility as the film goes on, his premonitions become more real and powerful. early on when he's a security guard and he chases down that guy with a weapon, he doesn't have a clear vision of it so much as a hunch that turns out to be right. when mr. glass asks him about it, he refers to other "hunches" he's had but never thought they were anything more than that. later, when he starts beginning to believe, his visions become more concrete.

OK fine! I get it, I was wr...wr.....wr.....wrong. :(
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Why are you all talking about and trying to analyse a film that is like 16 years old? All this time and you lot STILL can't work these things out?

No wonder Trump got in.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:39 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Why are you all talking about and trying to analyse a film that is like 16 years old? All this time and you lot STILL can't work these things out?

No wonder Trump got in.

"Ah, Kirks, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us 'Revenge is a dish that is best served cold?' It is very cold ...in space."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm

M. Night Shyamalan Confirms Sequel for 'Unbreakable' and 'Split'
Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson are set to return for 'Glass.'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 am

THR APRIL 26, 2017:
'Glass': How M. Night Shyamalan Could Redefine the Superhero Shared Universe
Graeme McMillan wrote:The sequel to 'Unbreakable' and 'Split' may offer a twist to what audiences expect from Marvel and DC films.
By now, the idea of shared cinematic universes is almost passé; Marvel's box office dominance has led to the launch of similar spaces for DC's superheroes and Legendary's kaiju-esque monsters, with both Hasbro's toylines and Universal's classic monsters about to get their own universes to play in as well. But the release of M. Night Shyamalan's Split this year teased something different — a superhero universe with a twist, fittingly enough.

That a moviemaker's stories all take place in the same world isn't a new thing — Quentin Tarantino has claimed that all of his movies are interrelated, for example — and certainly, Shyamalan hasn't shied away from suggesting connections between his own movies in the past. With the denouement of Split, however, he not only confirmed that the movie took place in the same world as his earlier Unbreakable, he created the first auteur shared superhero universe.

Up to this point, one of the defining features of a shared cinematic universe has been the fact that they're products of an army of creators, and as such, tend to either feature a singular tone and visual style — the Marvel movies, say — or feature abrupt shifts between installments (Compare Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad, for example). The choice has been lack of consistency or lack of distinction, but having a shared universe all under the direction of one filmmaker would appear to offer one particular route out of that quandary.

Having one central authorial voice would also remove increased likelihood of any plot inconsistencies or dead ends in terms of the overall universe, a la Captain America: The Winter Soldier's deconstruction of SHIELD, which was immediately contradicted for obvious reasons when it came to the Marvel's Agents of SHIELD TV series — and offer the potential for more subtle connections between different properties than what audiences have become used to via Marvel or DC name dropping and Easter eggs.

Indeed, the immediate comic book model for this line of thinking isn't, perhaps surprisingly, the early days of Marvel Comics when Stan Lee had his hands in everything out of necessity — although, curiously enough, that might be a model for Kevin Feige's role in Marvel Studios today, guiding larger moves while letting individual creators do the heavy lifting. The more apt comic book example for Shyamalan comes from Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers line from a decade or so ago; seven different series all written by Morrison, telling one over-arching story throughout all seven, but with each one an entity that can stand alone, separate from everything else. Translating that style into movies could bring a new depth to the superhero movie genre.

Of course, what the Unbreakable/Split connection actually means in practice remains to be seen. Will there be more to it than Glass, the newly announced movie tying the two films together, or will it simply be three movies that tell one story and then end forever? Certainly, there's the potential for more stories to be told inside the fictional Unbreakable Glass That Splits universe, in movies, comic books or elsewhere, should Shyamalan want to tell them — but that last part is the central appeal of it all. If Shyamalan isn't interested in expanding the universe beyond these three movies, what's the point? What makes the universe unique as it stands is the sole voice telling these stories. Take that away, and what's left to differentiate it from any other superhero universe …?

Glass will be released Jan. 18, 2019. Almost certainly, audiences will have to wait until the twist ending of that movie to find out if there's more to come.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 05, 2017 12:46 am

i just hope Anya Taylor-Joy comes back as Bruce Willis' sidekick....

in an appropriately skimpy costume, of course.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 am

Forbes MAY 4, 2017:
How M. Night Shyamalan's 'Glass' Takes The Right Lessons From 'The Avengers'
Scott Mendelson wrote:Today is the fifth anniversary of Joss Whedon's The Avengers. And as such, I could wax on about its rather toxic legacy concerning how it sent the entire industry dumpster diving for cinematic universes and further distancing themselves from everything that wasn't tentpole-ish in nature just as television and streaming were about to monopolize quality character-driven dramas and diverse/inclusive entertainment. The jaw-dropping $1.5 billion success sent shockwaves through Hollywood in a way that a more modest bump from Iron Man 2's $623m worldwide gross would not have, and I sincerely believe that Hollywood's reaction to said success is part of why the mainstream theatrical industry is in its current predicament. Like Jaws, Star Wars and Batman, The Avengers was a good movie and a big hit that did the industry great harm by virtue of Hollywood at-large learning the wrong lessons.

But I rather liked the 2012 blockbuster and still do. So I won't rant about the negative legacy of a well-reviewed/well-received/first-of-its-kind blockbuster. Although I will acknowledge that Paramount/Viacom Inc. never got the proper credit for getting Iron Man, Thor and Captain America on base before Walt Disney swooped in and knocked it out of the park. I want to instead take a moment to note what may turn out to be one of the few successful attempts to copy the so-called interconnected cinematic universe formula. If you want a glance at the proverbial "next Avengers," you might want to take in a double-feature of M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable and Split. Because when Glass opens in January 18, 2019, it may be the closest thing we've gotten to an actual cinematic cross-over movie since the one that started it all.

As much as every studio in town likes to talk about theoretical cinematic universes, it is thus far either entirely theoretical (the Hasbro cinematic universe), failed (Sony's attempt at turning Amazing Spider-Man 2 into a backdoor pilot for Spidey spin-offs), in its infancy (the DCEU, Universal's classic monsters franchise) or merely a series of sequels and spin-offs that take place in the same world (Star Wars, The Conjuring, Disneynature). Heck, at this early juncture, we still don't know if audiences even like cinematic universes as a concept as opposed to merely loving Joss Whedon's superhero team-up sequel. But the big lesson from Marvel is that they took the time to build stand-alone installments of their various superheroes before teaming them up to save the world so that audiences liked these specific versions of said superheroes. By accident or by design, M. Night Shyamalan's two disparate genre offerings have done just that.

Heck, Warner Bros. was so impatient with the DCEU after The Avengers broke huge that they didn't even give us a solo Batman movie before teaming up Batman and Superman. And they gave us a Wonder Woman movie AFTER the first team-up (which is a prequel to the first team-up). Since we don't really know Aquaman, Cyborg or The Flash in this universe and Henry Cavill's Superman is dead, the Justice League movie will be mostly about the appeal of Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, Ben Affleck's Batman and the theoretical appeal of merely seeing DC Comics heroes onscreen together. To their credit, Warner Bros. is taking their time with the kaijū universe thus far, offering a Godzilla movie, a King Kong movie and a second Godzilla (which will presumably introduce other popular monsters) before the Kong vs. Godzilla team-up in May of 2020.

When Glass opens in 1.5 years, it'll be something every bit as unique as The Avengers. It won't be an explicit franchise offering or even a conventional sequel. It will be a case of two somewhat separate movies and their respective universes being combined into one joint adventure. It would be like if Alias and 24 teamed up for a three-part episode with Jack Bauer and Sydney Bristow kicking ass together or (if we're sticking with movies) if Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling teamed up with Holly Hunter's M.J. Monahan after Hannibal Lector and Daryll Lee Cullum both escaped from prison and teamed up. Even if we argue that M. Night Shyamalan had this in mind all along (the antagonist of Split existed as a villain in earlier drafts of Unbreakable), this Unbreakable 2/Split 2 super sequel combo pack is every bit as "never seen this before" as The Avengers was five years ago.

Both Split and Unbreakable feature surviving characters working with/against each other. Unbreakable fans have been yearning for a sequel for 16.5 years and the film's reputation has only grown as its comic book superhero deconstruction has become more relevant to pop culture at-large. Split is one of the higher grossing ($276 million worldwide) "not based on anything" straight-up horror movies in history and had legs to die for after a jaw-dropping $40m debut weekend. It's not just that M. Night Shyamalan is combining two films into one sequel to make a cinematic universe out of whole cloth. He is combining previously established heroes (Bruce Willis's David Dunn and Anya Taylor-Joy's Casey Cooke) and previously established villains (Samuel L. Jackson's Elijah Price and James McAvoy's The Beast) with whom we already have a rooting interest. Shymalan took the time to give us a stand-alone adventure for both franchises before combining them. So the Split/Unbreakable sequel will benefit from actual, not theoretical, interest in both worlds colliding.

Aside from being a good/crowdpleasing movie (that helps), Joss Whedon's adventure was the culmination of four stand-alone franchises (consisting of five previous movies) that laid the groundwork so that audiences would be interested in these specific variations of said iconic superheroes. It wasn't just "Iron Man and Thor and Hulk and Captain America team up against Loki." but rather it was Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth and Edward Norton Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans team up against Tom Hiddleston's versions of said characters!" And, come what may, The Avengers was the first time this kind of experiment had been attempted in modern times, with characters (and worlds) of separate movies coming together for one coherent sequel. And thus, Glass will be a combined sequel featuring previously established characters that audiences like while also being something of a first-of-its-kind.

For the record, I'm obviously not arguing that Glass is going to gross anywhere near what The Avengers (or even something like Signs) made here or abroad. This is a (guestimate) $15-$20 million Blumhouse release that will open in the middle of January. But five years after The Avengers changed Hollywood, arguably for the worse, it is amusing/ironic that one of our last regular creators of mainstream original genre fare is offering what amounts to a variation on the formula in a way that amounted to an entirely original cinematic universe. He did the work of creating original characters whom audiences wanted to see again and didn't even advertise their connected natures until the final frames of the second respective movie. And now, with audiences primed for a sequel to Split and Unbreakable, Shyamalan will give us Glass, a film that is both a floor cleaner and a dessert topping. We'll see if it works, but he is certainly making an effort to have his cake and eat it too. And, at the very least, it will make for one hell of a trailer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 pm

THR SEPTEMBER 21, 2017:
M. Night Shyamalan's 'glass' Adds 'unbreakable' Actors (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Woodard, who appeared in M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable, are reprising their roles from the 2000 hit, joining the filmmaker's newest thriller, Glass.

Glass is the sequel to both Unbreakable, which starred Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson, and Split, Shyamalan's surprise hit from earlier this year that starred James McAvoy. The project is being described as a comic book thriller, although it is not based on any preexisting material.

Willis is returning to the role of security guard David Dunn, who is imbued with superpowers, while McAvoy is back as Kevin Wendell Crumb, a man with multiple personalities, including the creature known as The Beast.

Glass finds Dunn pursuing Crumb's superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Elijah Price, aka Mr. Glass (Jackson), emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men.

Clark is back as Willis' son, while Woodard is returning to play Jackson's mother.

Anya Taylor-Joy, who starred in Split, is back as Casey Cooke, the only captive to survive an encounter with The Beast. Sarah Paulson is also on the call sheet in a new undisclosed role.

Shyamalan, who wrote the script and is directing Glass, is producing with Jason Blum. Ashwin Rajan and Marc Bienstock are also producing, while Steven Schneider will executive produce.

Clark, who was 13 when Unbreakable was released, was recently seen playing villain Werner von Strucker on ABC's Agents of SHIELD and had a run on TNT's Animal Kingdom. He is repped by Don Buchwald & Associates and Untitled Entertainment.

Woodard has appeared on recent episodes of The Leftovers, The Blacklist and People of Earth. She is repped by Shelter Entertainment and Bret Adams Agency.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion