ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Finally, a sequel remake thing!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Finally, a sequel remake thing!

Postby MacCready on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 am

This ought to be great in 3D. Though I do wish Helena Bonehead Carter were not in it. Does Burton always have to cast the woman he's getting busy with?
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:35 pm

MacCready wrote:This ought to be great in 3D. Though I do wish Helena Bonehead Carter were not in it. Does Burton always have to cast the woman he's getting busy with?

at least this woman has talent. though the previous woman had way better tits.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MacCready on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:37 pm

This is true.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am

Not that I'm that bothered about seeing it but:

95% of UK cinemas to possibly not screen Alice

Which basically leaves a few independents and some Imax cinemas. I can't see Disney wanting to lose that revenue, just to get the DVDs out quicker (as the DVDs likely wouldn't sell as well without a cinema release before it anyway).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:17 am

One wonders at this point why movie theatres even bother anymore.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Turns out that it's only Odeon - the biggest chain - who will not be showing it, as they've refused to make a deal. But that's still an automatic 37% drop for the film.

I'm seeing it tomorrow afternoon.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Daily Mail has a review

So does The Guardian

And The Times

And probably other British publications have some reviews...

Honestly I was more impressed by the 3D trailer for Alice in Wonderland than by the film it preceded (that was Avatar, btw).

Although I haven't been able to be excited by a Tim Burton film since Sleepy Hollow, or maybe Big Fish. Now I just cautiously remain open-minded and hope that he will soon produce a film of the same calibre as his earlier successes.

EDIT: And apparently Odeon has dropped the boycott, so it should be business as usual in the UK.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Wot I dun writed about it on Twitter yesterday:

Alice in Wonderland 3D - unless you've never seen a Burton film (nor know of the Alice story) you don't really need to see it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Wot I dun writed about it on Twitter yesterday:

Alice in Wonderland 3D - unless you've never seen a Burton film (nor know of the Alice story) you don't really need to see it.

Yeah? Well I don't read twitter and I worked on this film so why should I listen to you? Who are you anyway to make you so special?
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Wot I dun writed about it on Twitter yesterday:

PWNT!

Well that's that, Tim Burton continues his streak of rehashing his "visionary" style... which requires Johnny Depp at all times, apparently.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:16 pm

The M/C Review: 'Alice In Wonderland' is anything but wonderful
Moriarty wrote:It's been a little over a week since I saw Tim Burton's new "Alice In Wonderland", which is not so much a remake or an adaptation as it is a sequel, ignoring of course the idea that Lewis Carroll wrote a perfectly lovely sequel himself. It is wrong-headed in pretty much every way it can be, poorly designed, loud, and worst of all, boring. It is a catastrophe as a movie, and as a place marker in the career of Tim Burton, it is a big studly dead end.

Remember when it used to be exciting to hear that Tim Burton was making a new film? Those days seem to be well and truly behind us. That's a shame, too.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:21 pm

The M/C Review: 'Alice In Wonderland' is anything but wonderful
Moriarty wrote:It's been a little over a week since I saw Tim Burton's new "Alice In Wonderland", which is not so much a remake or an adaptation as it is a sequel, ignoring of course the idea that Lewis Carroll wrote a perfectly lovely sequel himself. It is wrong-headed in pretty much every way it can be, poorly designed, loud, and worst of all, boring. It is a catastrophe as a movie, and as a place marker in the career of Tim Burton, it is a big studly dead end.

Remember when it used to be exciting to hear that Tim Burton was making a new film? Those days seem to be well and truly behind us. That's a shame, too.

Moriarty wrote:Not in "Alice At Wonderland," though. Any sign of the artist whose career I've enjoying watching over the years is submerged completely here, and what we're left with is a whole lot of art direction, a ton of expensive effects work, some of the ugliest 3D of the modern era, and not a hint of fun or wonder. Add to that a script that seems to be almost completely ignorant of what it is that makes the original work by Lewis Carroll so significant and elastic, and I'm genuinely baffled as to what anyone is expected to take from the endeavor.

Moriarty wrote:And then there's Johnny Depp. As disappointed as I am in Tim Burton on this film, multiply that by a thousand for Depp. I would like to formally request that Congress step in and pass a law that prevents him from working with Tim Burton anymore, because at this point, I think they're starting to actively hurt each other.

This time out, though, his work as the Mad Hatter is nigh unwatchable. It's a jumble of crazy voices and creepy make-up and shifting accents, and instead of coming across as someone genuinely damaged or mad or eccentric or fascinating, he just plain feels like he's trying too hard. And did anyone... ANYONE... really need a backstory for the Mad Hatter to explain why he's mad? No? Well, too bad, 'cause you're gonna get one. And it's really really stupid.

I guess Cameron was right.
James Cameron Criticizes Tim Burton and 3D DVD Releases
Peter Sciretta wrote:James Cameron gave a keynote presentation at the 3D Entertainment Summit today, and took aim at Tim Burton, who is filming Disney’s upcoming 3D adaptation of Alice in Wonderland using 2D cameras. Burton plans to convert the footage to 3D in post production, a decision that has angered and baffled the 3D community. “It doesn’t make any sense to shoot in 2D and convert to 3D,” Cameron said.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Wow, major PWNT!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:20 am

While I can appreciate the sentiment that if you're going to make a 3-D film, you should plan on it from the beginning and not just convert it before release, I thought The Nightmare Before Christmas looked great after its 3-D conversion. I loved it.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:30 am

i actually heard some good reviews, however, i can't generate any interest in this. i'll be interested in a tim burton film again when i see that it's not either a remake, a sequel, or an adaptation, but rather something new and original that he's written himself.

and i have to agree with the stuff about johnny depp. take a break from each other. this is what, like 3 movies in a row for them? it's not like they never have to work together again, just give it a break for a while, and let someone else have a chance. (i could say the same for scorsese and dicaprio, btw)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:22 am

throw Bonham Carter into "take a break from Tim" list too

I wouldn't seeing Keaton work with Burton again

a Depp/Keaton movie directed by Scorcese

a DeNiro/DiCaprio movie directed by Burton
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:20 am

Bloo wrote:throw Bonham Carter into "take a break from Tim" list too

I wouldn't seeing Keaton work with Burton again

a Depp/Keaton movie directed by Scorcese

a DeNiro/DiCaprio movie directed by Burton

i don't think he'll be taking a break from HBC any time soon, at least not as long as he's fucking her. he put lisa marie into pretty much every movie he did when they were together, albeit in much smaller parts. funny we don't see her in his films anymore since he dumped her for HBC.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:31 pm

yeahI know he won't but it'd be nice if he worked with a primarly new cast.

I'm not saying Zach and Miri was anything great, but I thought it was nice for Kevin Smith to break away from alot of his regulars (however he pillaged almost all of Apatow's cast so it was like watching an Apatow movie but still)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 pm

I think repertory companies are mostly fine. It's nice to see certain character actors and know you're in an Altman or a Wes Anderson world. What doesn't work all that much for me is when the directors don't change the leads. You can shake off all ties with their previous movies just so long as there's a different leading man or lady to be the vessel for the audience. Hell, even alternating between Brad Pitt and Clooney is way better than settling into a groove with just one of them.

Depp has really come across way too methodical and cold in his last couple of roles for Burton, especially considering they're meant to be comedic, so I reckon I'll be skipping this one. Why Burton didn't just make an adaptation of Through the Looking Glass is very puzzling. He could have even called it Alice in Wonderland 2: Thru The Looking Glass if he wanted. Missed opportunity.

Guess Jan Svankmajer's Alice will remain the best Alice in Wonderland movie for a while yet.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:32 am

Seppuku wrote:
Guess Jan Svankmajer's Alice will remain the best Alice in Wonderland movie for a while yet.

I would imagine for eternity, that film is sheer perfection.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby judderman on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:35 pm

I judge Alice and Wonderland adaptations by whether or not they have the guts to show a cook trying to cut off a baby's nose with a fire-iron. So far I think only one has.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby thefraze on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:40 am

Went to a screening of "Alice in Wonderland" last night in 3D - like "Hook" on acid...
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

I have lost all faith in Tim Burton. I can't even describe how minimal my motivation is to go and see this film. The only thing that even remotely holds my attention is the fact that Anne Hathaway and the girl that play Alice are both quite attractive.

I am trying to remember the moment when Tim Burton became a hack...I am thinking it was Sleepy Hollow.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Are you dissing Sleepy Hollow, Lecko? That was probably Burton's last great film!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bloo on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:44 pm

I liked Sleepy Hollow in that it was very Hammer-esque and was just really good

I just wish he hadn't called it Sleepy Hollow

BUT doing that does make it very Hammer-esque so I guess it works
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I have lost all faith in Tim Burton. I can't even describe how minimal my motivation is to go and see this film. The only thing that even remotely holds my attention is the fact that Anne Hathaway and the girl that play Alice are both quite attractive.

they should have cast anne hathaway as the cheshire cat. 'cos her mouth is HUGE.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Are you dissing Sleepy Hollow, Lecko? That was probably Burton's last great film!

I very much am dissing Sleepy Hollow.

Maybe I missed the boat on that one, but I saw it for the first time a few months ago and was appalled at how bad it was. I seriously couldn't reconcile how lame that movie was with all the great things I had heard about it.

Maybe in St. Thomas they show a different version? Because what I saw was trash. Vintage Burton hackery.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm

thefraze wrote:Went to a screening of "Alice in Wonderland" last night in 3D - like "Hook" on acid...

but I thought it was getting bad reviews?

that sounds pretty effing awesome
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Sleepy Hollow is indeed Tim Burton's last "great" film, although it doesn't hold up when compared to his earlier accolades, but it's also the film where he really began to shift away from substance and focus more on style. Sleepy Hollow was an (excellent) exercise in style.

According to me, all-important scholar on Tim Burton, here are his best pre-Sleepy Hollow films (from best to worst):

1. Edward Scissorhands / Ed Wood (tie)
2. Beetlejuice
3. Batman
4. Mars Attacks (a personal favorite that I'm sticking in here)
5. Pee Wee's Big Adventure
6. Batman Returns

Mars Attacks aside, most of those films, and especially Batman, were monumental.

His short film Vincent is also pretty awesome if you haven't seen it yet, and lest we forget the Tim Burton-produced Nightmare Before Christmas is terrific. Corpse Bride my ass!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Oh and something else... so while I only read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland once a few years ago, I had actually grown up watching a British live action film of the story that was apparently made in 1972. And when I say that I grew up watching it, I mean that it could possibly be the film I've seen the most often in my entire life. I think I may have seen it about a dozen times between the age of 3 and 6 years. I haven't seen it since, but my childhood memories of it are extremely fond.

Has anyone else seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068190/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice's_Adventures_in_Wonderland_(1972_film)
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Sleepy Hollow is good,but not great.
Walken is pretty awesome though.

Pacino86845 wrote:His short film Vincent is also pretty awesome if you haven't seen it yet, and lest we forget the Tim Burton-produced Nightmare Before Christmas is terrific. Corpse Bride my ass!

What's this "if you haven't seen it" business.We've got YouTube powers now,man!
You gotta link the good shit.

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:35 pm

You kids with your fancy internets. In my day we used to just yell out of windows.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 am

I guess it was when he moved to England that he got what is known as "a bit shit". I don't think I can ever forgive his remake of Planet of the Apes... However, as an artist I can appreciate that he has done his bit.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 am

you guys are nuts, Big Fish is a great Burton movie too.

nuts I say!
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:59 am

was Big Fish after Sleepy Hollow, I guess so, I really like that movie too

and I know his Sweeny Todd is quite a bit different then the stage version, and I much prefer the stage version, but he seemed to please Sondheim.

But then again look how many Daredevil writers and artists appeared in THAT movie so maybe that's not a good sign
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:His short film Vincent is also pretty awesome if you haven't seen it yet, and lest we forget the Tim Burton-produced Nightmare Before Christmas is terrific. Corpse Bride my ass!

What's this "if you haven't seen it" business.We've got YouTube powers now,man!
You gotta link the good shit.

Never seen that before! Awesome!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 am

Al Shut wrote:you guys are nuts, Big Fish is a great Burton movie too.

nuts I say!

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Big Fish was horrendous. There wasn't a single redeeming quality to that film.

Hell, I would rather sit through Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES than sit through BIG FISH again.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Hell, I would rather sit through Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES than sit through BIG FISH again.

That, sir, is a BOLD statement.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:06 pm

so sorry wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Hell, I would rather sit through Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES than sit through BIG FISH again.

That, sir, is a BOLD statement.

I am aware. Now, granted, I wouldn't enjoy myself. But at least I wouldn't hate myself (which would be the case were I to ever sit through Big Fish again).

I mean, the BOOK Big Fish isn't even that good. Ugh.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thefraze on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Alice in Wonderland was only worth seeing in 3D... it's really nothing to write home about. There's no plot development or story in the film at all - it's just an excuse to have these characters running around doing stuff. If you read Mr. Beeks' interview with Burton, the man even says himself his only interest in the project was making it 3D (and it shows).
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Typical Burton. No pun intended, it's actually a statement of accidental irony, but him saying that just is a perfect example of how 2D his movies are. They just LOOK good, but can't get to my emotions or to the primary triggers that make a film move me.

As for Big Fish.. sigh... well, I dunno if it's Ewan Mcgregor's annoying cheeky smile or something else, but buried within all those attempts to make something magical, poetic or romantic fairytale elevating provocative, I just sense something really obnoxious about it or its messages it sends. Albert Finney is the saving grace here. Really, imagine an actor in it whose not as great as him.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:37 am

magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:03 am

Funnily Massawyrm and Capone's reviews had similar conclusions to H@rry's, though the arguments were somewhat different. The three had some of the same criticisms of the film as many other reviewers, but they were not so outraged by the end, rather enjoying at least the visual spectacle of it all.

Can someone get a good script in Burton's hands already? It's been too too long!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:05 am

Can people KEEP good scripts out of Tim Burton's hands?

He ruins so many. Exhibit A - Edward Scissorhands.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Can people KEEP good scripts out of Tim Burton's hands?

Amen.

Burton's hackery will overcome all.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 pm

what are you on crack?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Seppuku on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:20 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

what are you on crack?

I think Kirks must have said that just to get at Pacino, 'cause that's arguably his best movie (personally I way prefer it to his other Ed pic). Also, how can Tim Burton keep a script he co-wrote out of his own hands? I guess he could have worn gloves when he typed it up. Or maybe he got his secretary to do the typing for him?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:09 am

Fuck the haters. I liked BIG FISH... a lot.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:35 am

This was ok. I hope part 2 has a better story.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion