I AM LEGEND

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Am you Legend?

I Like Legend
60%
I Hate Legend
8%
I Meh Legend
21%
I Kong Legend
10%

Total votes : 48

I AM LEGEND

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:00 pm

soooo.... i did a search - seeing if there was any I Am Legend thread - specifically - for the long-rumored film that has at some point - been attached to almost every either big name director and/or star...

either way - main page has the story - which links to variety who has the story, that Will Smith is attached to I Am Legend with Constantine director Francis Lawrence attached to direct... apparentely - according to Variety - smith has a play-or-pay deal and is to make Legend his next film - as soon as he finishes up Tonight, He Comes for Sony...

hmmm....

is will smith a black charlton heston - or was The Omega Man just a pale pimple on the actual matheson novel's ass...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:05 pm

I always like the idea for The Omega Man, but not the actual film.

I'm also a big, big fan of Francis Lawrence's video work. When I was in school, I watched a lot of music videos to study their form, and he was one of the guys cranking them out during that time. I was a little underimpressed with Constantine, though there were pieces in there I really liked. I'll be excited to see what he does.

That said, Will Smith doesn't appeal to me anymore. Not sure why, because I was a big fan of his for a while, but I'm kinda over it now.

Hmm. Well, I am hopeful for this one.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:11 pm

ya - i hear you Whedon - I'm just happy that this might be finally getting to the screens - this is one that i've been reading about for like ever - and the ever-changing behind-the-scenes people as well as the basic plot points and styles they were gonna use... it's one of those "great sci-fi" films that's never been made...

not saying that it will be a "great sci-fi" film will smith or Francis Lawrence attached - but who knows...

i'm still bummed ridley never got his off the ground - i think - from what i remember - the first hour or more would have been pretty much almost completely dialogue free...would've been interesting to see...

but it sounds like instead of going the route of a slightly touching and lonely desolate story about the last man on earth trying to survive through some terrifiying and graphic encounters - it'll be more like independence day with "vampires" or "hemophages (or was that just in one of the scripts i read for it...???)" or something... but we'll see...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:24 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Michael Mann should do it. I didn't like Constantine, at all really - and I'm normally pretty forgiving of religious supernatural movies.

I just think Mann would give the film the austerity and attitude it needs, shot on high def DV would be cool too, imagine all those empty cityscapes and vistas with Mann lensing.

* gets boner *
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:24 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Michael Mann should do it. I didn't like Constantine, at all really - and I'm normally pretty forgiving of religious supernatural movies.

I just think Mann would give the film the austerity and attitude it needs, shot on high def DV would be cool too, imagine all those empty cityscapes and vistas with Mann lensing.

that would be fucking cool...

i'll give you a Mann and raise you a Paul Greengrass, i think he could also add some humanity and reality and grittiness to a fairly fantastical story...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:25 pm

I just bought the book, so I'll be avoiding this thread and spoilers until I get the chance to read it. I hope it's good, though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:26 pm

Michael Mann should do it. I didn't like Constantine, at all really - and I'm normally pretty forgiving of religious supernatural movies.

Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:27 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I just bought the book, so I'll be avoiding this thread and spoilers until I get the chance to read it. I hope it's good, though.

psst... spoiler:

soylent green, is PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, wait, sorry, wrong Heston sci-fi opus... :cry:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:31 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Mich ael Mann should do it. I didn't like Constantine, at all really - and I'm normally pretty forgiving of religious supernatural movies.

* gets boner *

Well I missed you too MW, :shock: :wink:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Mich ael Mann should do it. I didn't like Constantine, at all really - and I'm normally pretty forgiving of religious supernatural movies.

that would be fucking cool...

i'll give you a Mann and raise you a Paul Greengrass, i think he could also add some humanity and reality and grittiness to a fairly fantastical story...

Greengrass is a cool choice, make the film a little more emotional (in a good way), but I don't know how he'd do with an epic kind of last man on earth story.
TonyWilson

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:35 pm

TonyWilson wrote:

Greengrass is a cool choice, make the film a little more emotional (in a good way), but I don't know how he'd do with an epic kind of last man on earth story.

but i think that's the cool thing about LEGEND...yes - it is epic - but it is also a tight little emotional drama/thriller which includes as much inner turmoil and angst as outer turmoil and violence...

but - alas - that kinda thing doesn't usually seem to go over too well with studios - hence - the fact that Ridley's never got off the ground - and instead it'll just be a big summer epic event pic with will smith trying to save the world for himself - and some last woman on earth or some half woman half vamp hybrid with a heart of gold...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:43 pm

TonyWilson wrote:lol, cynical but true.

I think Mann would be able to handle the emotional aspects, he can do inner turmoil and angst brilliantly, the Insider and Heat were also very controlled dramatic pieces, just invested with the epic energy, plus, he would mke it look really really fucking beautiful.

oh - don't get me wrong - i think Mann is a down-right brilliant choice for this type of film... i just threw Greengrass out there cause i figured he would be interesting as well - it's kinda cool to think how the exact same film(or at least from the same source) can/could be so utterly different in mood, and style, and basic theme and what-not all because of a different director...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:44 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

but i think that's the cool thing about LEGEND...yes - it is epic - but it is also a tight little emotional drama/thriller which includes as much inner turmoil and angst as outer turmoil and violence...

but - alas - that kinda thing doesn't usually seem to go over too well with studios - hence - the fact that Ridley's never got off the ground - and instead it'll just be a big summer epic event pic with will smith trying to save the world for himself - and some last woman on earth or some half woman half vamp hybrid with a heart of gold...

lol, cynical but true.

I think Mann would be able to handle the emotional aspects, he can do inner turmoil and angst brilliantly, the Insider and Heat were also very controlled dramatic pieces, just invested with the epic energy, plus, he would mke it look really really fucking beautiful.
TonyWilson

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Words kind of fail me... it's as if the execs had never read the book. Hopefully Will will take a look at it and see "acting opportunity"... I'm not the greatest fan of I-Robot at all, Proyas' worst film (and he's not done many) and a real waste of a visionary in my opinion... but it at least had some backbone.

The book is very oblique. The film deserves the same treatment. I'm hoping it does, although on this news I doubt it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:49 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Definitely!, I sometimes wish studios would half a films budget and make two films on the same subject with toally different appraches and choices.
Spike Lee's and Michael Mann's Ali for instance.

or Paul Schrader's and Renny Harlin's Excorcist...ugghh... wait - that wasn't by "choice" originally...

i think every studio - once a year - should all make the "same" film - with roughly about the ssame budget - but they each hire a different director (different portfolio, different styles, different evolving sensibilities...) and different writers and crew and actors etc and see what turns out the most interesting and the best... that'd be kinda cool...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:51 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:lol, cynical but true.

oh - don't get me wrong - i think Mann is a down-right brilliant choice for this type of film... i just threw Greengrass out there cause i figured he would be interesting as well - it's kinda cool to think how the exact same film(or at least from the same source) can/could be so utterly different in mood, and style, and basic theme and what-not all because of a different director...

Definitely!, I sometimes wish studios would half a films budget and make two films on the same subject with toally different appraches and choices.
Spike Lee's and Michael Mann's Ali for instance.
TonyWilson

Postby Flumm on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I think Mann would be able to handle the emotional aspects, he can do inner turmoil and angst brilliantly, the Insider and Heat were also very controlled dramatic pieces, just invested with the epic energy, plus, he would mke it look really really fucking beautiful.

I agree with you completely, Tony. There may well be a dozen or more people who would do something great with it, but at this minute, I can't think of a director I would rather have take this on. I really don't want it to be about explosions, and monsters, and cool weapons, and one liners and "cool shit", which it could so easily be, even if they think they're beind dark with it.

I would hope that it would have something a little more, and I hate to say it, but I think he would bring the right amount of Punky Power to the thing.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:03 pm

havocSchultz wrote:i think every studio - once a year - should all make the "same" film - with roughly about the ssame budget - but they each hire a different director (different portfolio, different styles, different evolving sensibilities...) and different writers and crew and actors etc and see what turns out the most interesting and the best... that'd be kinda cool...

Didn't they already do that with Volcano/Dante's Peak, Armageddon/Deep Impact and about a dozen animated films a year? ;)

Mann would be a great choice. Particularly after how he captured LA in Collateral.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

I Am Legend

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:12 am

I dont know. I dont think i could buy I am Legend as any sort of Action-y flick.

The book was more about more of a decent in to madness and a puropose in life type of thing. And just happend to have Vampires flyling about in the background.

I perfere the concept that :hes the last normal man on earth, but his life is basicly over though:

and pluse, we're sure to get a sceen were a vampire is trying to bite will smith and we get a close up on his face as he says "AH HELL NO"
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: I Am Legend

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:14 am

bastard_robo wrote:
and pluse, we're sure to get a sceen were a vampire is trying to bite will smith and we get a close up on his face as he says "AH HELL NO"

way to go and ruin the ending...

and i really hope the line "Bite me" or some sort of variation to that extent does NOT pop up in this movie...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Re: I Am Legend

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:20 am

bastard_robo wrote:and pluse, we're sure to get a sceen were a vampire is trying to bite will smith and we get a close up on his face as he says "AH HELL NO"

Then he punches the vampire and says "Welcome to Erf!"...

I love this story but absolutely loathe the idea of turning it into a huge action movie. It should be a small small film.....In the vain of 28 Days Later or Shaun of the Dead in scope.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:15 am

Mann = good choice.

Park Chan-Wook = exceptional choice (if we're sticking with the book).
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:32 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
Park Chan-Wook = exceptional choice (if we're sticking with the book).

"ever arrive to a thread a bit late, you've got a pretty good thought that no one has said yet, you continue to scroll down, giddy with anticipation that yes, YOU are a one-of-a-kind thinker, you know your shit, you're an original in a Zone full of hacks and then, just when your almost at the end of all those boring lameass commen....MOTHERFUCKER ASSHOLE BEAT ME TO IT!!!

so, uh, second."

well - not really - but i wanted to be part of the cool crowd and have everybody thinking I was brilliant as well... :cry:

nonetheless - Chan-Wook is a brilliant choice - and i would love to see him do something of this "scope" but with a still very human and intimate core to it...

well done...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:05 am

Ah, fuck! Will Smith!? That means the movie's gonna be all about Smith mugging for the camera instead of being any good. Fuck! :evil:
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:39 am

MadCapsule wrote:Ah, fuck! Will Smith!? That means the movie's gonna be all about Smith mugging for the camera instead of being any good. Fuck! :evil:

So very, very true. God forbid that Will Smith stars in this film because as sure as night follows day, this will become a 'star vehicle' and ruin what should be a very exciting, complex movie. Only casting Ben Affleck would be worse.
I sincerely hope they chose someone else.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:43 am

Will Smiff= a guarenteed one liner "Ah Hell no!" somewhere in this movie.

the only way this could be any worse is if they manage to find a role for his fucking wife in this.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:51 am

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
MadCapsule wrote:Ah, fuck! Will Smith!? That means the movie's gonna be all about Smith mugging for the camera instead of being any good. Fuck! :evil:

So very, very true. God forbid that Will Smith stars in this film because as sure as night follows day, this will become a 'star vehicle' and ruin what should be a very exciting, complex movie. Only casting Ben Affleck would be worse.
I sincerely hope they chose someone else.

unfortuantely - that probably won't happen - like mentioned - smith has a pay-or-play deal - which now means that he will get paid - if he makes the movie or not - and i think the studio has invested way too much time or money over the years on this to just throw away cash to smith in order to get somebody more suited for the role - and - smith sells tickets - that's really all it comes down to - the stuido wants a big "epic" sumer event film - not some moody psychological survivalist film... but - on an upside - maybe we'll get to see smith don the last pair of Chuck Taylor All-Star hi-top Converse sneakers in order to allow him to "escape" the vampire threat a lot easier...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:52 am

so sorry wrote:Will Smiff= a guarenteed one liner "Ah Hell no!" somewhere in this movie.

the only way this could be any worse is if they manage to find a role for his fucking wife in this.

no - the only thing worse would be if they found a role for martin lawrence as his wise-cracking morally conflicted vampire best friend...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:33 am

havocSchultz wrote:
so sorry wrote:Will Smiff= a guarenteed one liner "Ah Hell no!" somewhere in this movie.

no - the only thing worse would be if they found a role for martin lawrence as his wise-cracking morally conflicted vampire best friend...

Stop. Please. You're beginning to give me nightmares here.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:01 pm

EXT. SUNSET BOULEVARD, DAY

Will Smith struts down the center of the road with a boombox playing his latest vampire-based top ten hit. Every shop is deserted and he wanders over to a window display to peer in.

WILL -
I gotta get me a pair of those babies!

He smashes the window with his boombox and reaches in to grab a pair of shades.

WILL -
Hell, yeah!

Will then continues down the street doing a "zany dance".

MIX TO - Sped up footage of the sun going down over the Hollywood sign.

EXT. Night - In his hill mansion, rigged up with powerful lights, Will's lone party rages as he starts to polish an array of INCREDIBLE WEAPONS. The camera passes over his engineering degree certificate.

Jada Pinkett drapes herself over the bed, the ONLY OTHER SURVIVOR of the human race.

JADA -
Will, baby, come to bed.

WILL -
Not yet, sugar. I've got some heads to bust, y'all.

C/U of Will's grimacing face as he cocks his rifle.

JADA -
I like how you cock that...

Will smiles, winks, then turns to the window.

EXT. WILL'S MANSION

Will leans out the mansion and peers into the night. He knows he's there. Outside stands a lone figure - MARTIN LAWRENCE! Only... he's a VAMPIRE!

WILL -
MARTIN! You motherfucker... you gots yourself all vamped up, huh?

MARTIN -
Yeah, man! Why don't y'all come out here and join us? I've got some faaahn Vampirettes out here... reaeeel honey's... I'm gonna drive my stake through them later. Why don't you come out and play, Will? Huh?

Will cocks his rifle. They fight. At least one or two slo-mo bullet time shots.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:22 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:EXT. SUNSET BOULEVARD, DAY

Will Smith struts down the center of the road with a boombox playing his latest vampire-based top ten hit. Every shop is deserted and he wanders over to a window display to peer in.

WILL -
I gotta get me a pair of those babies!

He smashes the window with his boombox and reaches in to grab a pair of shades.

WILL -
Hell, yeah!

Will then continues down the street doing a "zany dance".

MIX TO - Sped up footage of the sun going down over the Hollywood sign.

EXT. Night - In his hill mansion, rigged up with powerful lights, Will's lone party rages as he starts to polish an array of INCREDIBLE WEAPONS. The camera passes over his engineering degree certificate.

Jada Pinkett drapes herself over the bed, the ONLY OTHER SURVIVOR of the human race.

JADA -
Will, baby, come to bed.

WILL -
Not yet, sugar. I've got some heads to bust, y'all.

C/U of Will's grimacing face as he cocks his rifle.

JADA -
I like how you cock that...

Will smiles, winks, then turns to the window.

EXT. WILL'S MANSION

Will leans out the mansion and peers into the night. He knows he's there. Outside stands a lone figure - MARTIN LAWRENCE! Only... he's a VAMPIRE!

WILL -
MARTIN! You motherfucker... you gots yourself all vamped up, huh?

MARTIN -
Yeah, man! Why don't y'all come out here and join us? I've got some faaahn Vampirettes out here... reaeeel honey's... I'm gonna drive my stake through them later. Why don't you come out and play, Will? Huh?

Will cocks his rifle. They fight. At least one or two slo-mo bullet time shots.

PLANT!!! :P :lol:
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby raasnio on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:53 pm

Park or Greengrass I could see. Not Mann and certainly not Tarsem.

If I had my pick it would be Frank Darabont, though he's already working on some great films.

It's all a moot point as Will Smith is in it. It tells you everything you need to know about how seriously they take this story by one of the greatest storytellers of our time.

Smith does nothing more than reduce the film he is in into a complete parody. If any decent dirctors had interest in making this film they probably lost it as soon as they heard 'Smiff' was going to star in it.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:02 pm

McG!

*runs*
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:07 pm

I am Legend was one of my favorite books when I was a lad.
The Omega Man was decent enough, although they really, really disrespected Matheson's novel. I thought Chuck Heston was a super choice for Robert Neville, though. Very much like Matheson's description of the character in the book.
Vinnie Price's Italian version of the story was closer to the novel, but low on quality & unintenionally hi-larious in points.
I hate the idea of Will Smith in this role.
Hate it.
For many of the reasons previously stated above.
I wish someone would do I Am Legend justice one day.
I doubt this production, as it currently stands, will do so.
Merde.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:35 am

Bumping this because I had a weird Idea for casting of Robert Neville. The Vicar in his above post is correct about Heston as a great bit of casting though the Omega Man was hardly accurate to the story. Strangely enough lately I have been thinking that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson would actually be a decent choice. Though Neville in the story is never really described as as charismatic as The Rock usually comes across I think he can play tough, blue collar. I'll probably get punched in the mouth for this suggestion.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MisterCynic on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:16 am

well, maybe thats because its not much better than will smith.

personally, i always saw a younger harrison ford as neville.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:18 am

I forgot to elaborate. This is in the vein of a compromise for the execs looking for an "edgy actiony" sorta guy.
I think a younger Tom Selleck would be good as well.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:40 am

VIN DIESEL!

*runs*
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:59 am

Matheson describes Neville as having "Scandinavian" features, and honestly Charelton Heston is almost exactly what he describes Neville as in the novel.
If you cast The Rock, why not cast Stallone or Diesal or Will Smith et al?
It would be wrong, but they'd more or less hit the role the same way.
I'd like Christian Bale in the role, although he doesn't quite fit the Matheson profile of Neville.
If you can get an actor of that caliber, you don't quibble.
The Vicar

Postby doglips on Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:56 am

Bump.

There you go SBF :wink:
Last edited by doglips on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:59 am

EDITED FROM ABOVE FOR THIS THREAD:

I AM LEGEND! Just finished the book - WOW!

I have always loved the idea of this story and followed the film for many a yers (in all is variations!)

Anyway, having now read the book and seeing what is being done to the new film - I am very scared!

Omega Man and the Vincent Price fim (is called The Last Man On Earth?) are good, in their own rights, but they aren't called I Am Legend (Despite being adaptation of the book) and that is fine by me. They took an idea and ran in their own way with it.

The new Will Smith film however, takes the name and changes the story - again!

This is why I read the book finally! I am much more of a fan of film than books and would rather see a good film of a book and have all the suprises for me in the film. If I like it, then I'll read the book.

However after read all the stuff on the main site about how they are changing this and the fuck ups being made, I gave up - I just went and got the book!

Wow! It is so good.... as was obvious I supose!

What I don't get is, WHY DO THEY NEED TO CHANGE THINGS FOR THE FILM?

The book reads like a fucking brilliant movie. Its settings, characters, situtation are just fucking written for film! It is amazing!

Yet its being changed.... why why why

If you have an idea for a film where there are lots of huiman survivors, they leave Manhatten, one man stays behind and tries to find accure to this plague, well thats fine. Write it.

But don't call it I AM LEGEND and don't say its based on the book!

I want an I Am Legend about Robert Neville stuck in LA with no humans left and a bunch of vampires coming down on his ass!

It's not even the Will Smith casting that bothered me (although the shitness this is turning into makes the I,Robot 2 joke, well, more than just a joke!) it is everything that is going on! And for the record - I hated Constantine! Why change a cool name like Hellblazer to that? (I like COnstantine name and his character is cool - it seems - but a title is a fucking title dudes and Hellblazer is a tried and tested, fanbased title!)

Anyway, its gonna take a lot to pull this bastardisation off!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:16 am

Agreed, Boba. It's like they're updating Omega Man or something rather than looking at a brilliantly cinematic novel and taking it to the screen.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:50 am

Cheers, Atomic

I honestly do not get it! I thought perhaps the book was unfilmable or something!

So I finally got the book and was A) blown away by it and B) realised that its fucking written for them!

I mean it ain't very long, due to little dialogue its down to atmosphere which Matheson write beautifully, i.e the lazy ass script writer could just cut and paste! Ha ha! Only joshing to my fellow writers!

Anyway, it seems that everyone who has ever touched this novel from a film perspective has let their ego get in the way! I feel this is the case because the book is so instantly a great set up for a great film they are worried people won't see it as "their" work! So they chance it so it no longer is visible as being the book and they imagine people patting them on the back for bringing a 50's novel into the new century.

Well good Sci-Fi doesn't age - but shit films do! I was heartbroken at the look of I,Robot, espeically as it was done by Proyas! But this don't even have that going for it!

I love end of the world stuff, and would love this to be a great rift on it. BUt I think, by the very fact they have called it I AM LEGEND, it will be dire!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Thin Man on Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:18 am

I think the novel scares Hollywood execs. They think that Joe public will only go and see a film if it has car chases, spetacular CGI effects, stupid one liners and a happy ending. The book is an insightful exploration of what it is to suddenly become the outsider - to realise you are now everything you fought against. The only way this will ever get made properly is if it is an TV mini-series or TV film. This film need to flop so that they will stop raping great literature.
Last edited by The Thin Man on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schindler and I are like peas in a pod. We both made shells for the Germans, it's just that mine worked!
The Thin Man
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:41 am

I Am Legend has been one of my favorite novels.
I own everything Richard Matheson wrote...Hell House, Stir of Echoes, What Dreams May Come...you name it.
But I Am Legend was always the one I kept returning to.
This new project sounds like the typical shit job Hollywood does with anything these days.
This "project" makes me want to hurl.
Abomination.
The Vicar

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:32 am

But I think it does have stuff like that

SPOILER:

The dude at the end who turn up with the car and spotlights

the bit where Neville flies around in his car

the killing of sleeping vamps

------

END SPOILER

I'd be happy for those btis to be exgerated Hollywood style

But not change the whole story to a shit one! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:16 am

Just wanted to say that I saw CHILDEREN OF MEN last night and it also being a "what if..." film in the future about the possible demise of mankind, I wondered what the makers of such film as I AM LEGEND (and I,Robot) must think when they see a film like that.

For the record I thought Childeren of Men was one of the most amazing, and important, films I've seen done on a subject like that in a long time. Wow. And an adaptation of a book that wasn't all BANG BANG, SEXY SEXY. Although it did have action in it, a lot - and the action was tense -it was fucking real.

Anyway, this isn't a review of COM, the reason I mention it is that I AM LEGEND seems to be shaping up for a shitter of shit preportions. And I just wonder what people involved must htink. COM should be remembered, I really think it will be look at in 10 years + as an important film and at the very least a well made film.

Now I AM LEGEND... as it seems (I/WE could all be wrong and it could be a masterpiece)... is going to be a weekend box office film. Make 45 million and then slope off (Or worse - DO WELL!!!!! and let more films like this happen!!!) and be forgotten apart from insignificant little fucks who think its the most amazing sci-fi since Battlefield Earth.

I was so blown away by COM that I want that feeling more... and I AM LEGEND could deliver. BUt not if its about NOT THE LAST MAN ALIVE but a mans taying back in NY trying to find a cure to a plague.

I suspect the end will be changed and therefore the title I AM LEGEND will not even have anything to do witht eh film at fucking all!!!!! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:18 am

I would prefer, if they intend to fuck over Matheson's novel YET AGAIN, that they not use I am Legend for a title.
Or anything that hints at Matheson's masterpiece.
It might end up being an entertaining film, or not, but it sure as hell won't be I am Legend.
I'm so sorry, Richard.
The Vicar

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:43 am

The Vicar: Totally agree, Do I!

If they use it as a base, change it and the title (aka OMEGA MAN) then I'm fine with it. BEcause that means some one with real talent can make I AM LEGEND and people won't be like

"Wuhhhh!!! The family friendly action film with Will Smith? They're remaking it already!?! Man, people have no respect..."

Fools!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:00 am

The Vicar wrote:I would prefer, if they intend to fuck over Matheson's novel YET AGAIN, that they not use I am Legend for a title.
Or anything that hints at Matheson's masterpiece.
It might end up being an entertaining film, or not, but it sure as hell won't be I am Legend.
I'm so sorry, Richard.

15-yard penalty.
Illegal use of logic.
Repeat Third Down.

Every new picture, spoiler, set report, etc. makes me want to visit the production and fling poop at anyone and everyone involved. I don't care that it's a black male in the lead, I care that it's Will Smith. I know he's going to have his typical smart-ass lines throughout the movie (even one line is too many). I can already smell the random product placement. I have to go vomit now.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Next

Return to Movie Discussion