I AM LEGEND

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Am you Legend?

I Like Legend
60%
I Hate Legend
8%
I Meh Legend
21%
I Kong Legend
10%

Total votes : 48

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Interesting use of the first film's title in this poster.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:16 pm

I think it's interesting that Will Smith is such a fashionable survivor... though it IS realistic, right? I mean imagine being the last man in Manhattan! You could go to SOHO and just take all the clothes you want. Maybe they will have a scene where Will Smith comes upon some awesome pair of cargo pants at Armani Exchange and he looks up and goes all "awwww yeah". That will be awesome.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:22 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I think it's interesting that Will Smith is such a fashionable survivor... though it IS realistic, right? I mean imagine being the last man in Manhattan! You could go to SOHO and just take all the clothes you want. Maybe they will have a scene where Will Smith comes upon some awesome pair of cargo pants at Armani Exchange and he looks up and goes all "awwww yeah". That will be awesome.

Wouldn't work for me....atleast not at first. I'd need to run off some pounds avoiding vampires before anything in a SOHO shop fit me.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:27 pm

awww yeah
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fievel on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:29 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I think it's interesting that Will Smith is such a fashionable survivor... though it IS realistic, right? I mean imagine being the last man in Manhattan! You could go to SOHO and just take all the clothes you want. Maybe they will have a scene where Will Smith comes upon some awesome pair of cargo pants at Armani Exchange and he looks up and goes all "awwww yeah". That will be awesome.

"You know the difference between you and me? I make the apocalypse look good."
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby godzillasushi on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:36 pm

Just the two of us, we can hit up Soho if we try.
Just the two of us, you and I.

Take it easy on Big Willie aight!

The guy made a rap song for like all his movies and who do dat huh? No one, dats who! Aint no Tom Cruise making raps along to MI3, nope nope nope.
Last edited by godzillasushi on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Fievel wrote:

"You know the difference between you and me? I make the vampire apocalypse look good."

Corrected.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Conroy420 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Trailer is on apple.com but when you click it it's not available yet.

A couple more hours I guess....

*EDIT: As soon as I typed this I popped back over to apple and the trailer is no longer listed.

I am not a fan of 'Will Smith saves the world' movies but I'm intrested in any post-apocolyptic films out there.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:00 pm

Fievel wrote:"You know the difference between you and me? I make the apocalypse look good."

'ILASH!
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:47 pm

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:40 pm

Man that looks most excellent.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:01 am

Looks interesting enough. I just hope it doesn't pull any punches. I want this to be as hard as they can possibly make it. The shameless plug for that Ford car was a bit much though. It's got me intrigued enough though.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:32 am

This looks AWESOME, I am so in...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:06 am

Not bad. Lets hope the vamps...ere......infected look good.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:40 am

There's an odd image at 1:53 that I can't figure out.
I love the post-disaster Manhattan scenery, but it needs to be a lot more than pretty scenery.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:56 am

Is intelligent sci-fi coming back? Or am I being hoodwinked, tricked, bamboozled and lied to once again?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:02 am

Hehehehe... putzes...

The teaser, she's a not a bad, eh? Not a bad... the Dino, he can a see various elements from a the novella, no? Uppa'dated for a the times, but they're still there, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby tfactor on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:31 am

well it is almost kinda close to a Swan Song movie ... yeah not really

The trailer was pretty cool honestly but left me with questions, like: out of a million people how come only Fresh Prince survived, did that gas station price sign say $6.63/per gallon? and who was supposed to be cutting the grass - that guy should be fired

IMDB had this: Robert Neville is the last man alive. He busies himself with preparing for a nightly attack from the rest of the world - all of which have transformed into blood-thirsty vampires

Well that definitely helps and explains things a bit better. But don't they think it would have been a good idea to ... I don't know ... show us a freaking vampire in the trailer?!?

Regardless it will be something we watch ... at some point
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Theta on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:34 am

The trailer's not bad; the lack of one-liners is a positive sign and Francis Lawrence seems not to have gone off the rails so far. I'll be curious to see a full trailer as December gets closer.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:54 am

Yeah this film looks promising. Love the way the uninhabited New York has all these cool dramatic and unique visuals, like Smith hitting golf balls off a Jet Fighter's wing against the city's backdrop. Seems like some great atmosphere and spookyness going on, and that opening first act looks like it will be a blast, I can imagine that being a long explosive set piece (no puns intended) and will set this film off to a cracking start. Saving all the best bits from the trailer it seems, can't wait to see how things go when Smith makes his shocking 'discovery'.

Again, the only thing that gives me trouble is Smith himself. Even in his serious action guy mode, I don't think I can buy him. Sure he might pull it off, but will he still be Mediocre Man against some other potential actor that could have played this role instead? He was well suited for Pursuit of Happyness and that was a role I had questionabilty about for him before I saw the film and although he was excellent in that and perhaps the best thing I've seen him do, Will Smith running and shouting and panicking still doesn't fill me with enough riveting drama or intoxication and fear into a character.

As good as he may be, I bet I'd still prefer some other dude to fill his shoes.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:30 am

Yes, the trailer looks quite good and hopefully will bode well for the movie. But I too have a stumbling block when it comes to Will Smith's acting. He's just one of those perfomers I can't take too - comes across as a bit too smug for my liking. Still, that's my (non) problem and it certainly won't put me off watching the movie itself.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:57 am

I much prefered the idea that the 'I am legend' thread would actually be about personal acts that you have done that would allow you to have legendary status...

Like that one time when i had sex...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:04 am

Yeah, well that 'one time when you had sex' mate, categorized me as 'I am Buggered - For Life'.

As for that strange smell I've concuted from it, well..

So, what the hell went on in the beginning of this movie to have Je Fighters blowing up New York City themselves? Also, if Will is the last man left alive in the world, what are the living things he discovers and how did they become?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:16 pm

Wow, I'm shocked that I'm NOT disappointed by that trailer!

I was definetly expecting worse. I hope they don't spend too much time in the "post" apocolyptic world (I don't need to see how much Smif loved his wife and kid).

And as someone mentioned above, I too hope that they at least follow the ending of the novella, which would be a departure for a Will Smif production.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Garbage Man on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:49 pm

so sorry wrote:I was definetly expecting worse. I hope they don't spend too much time in the "post" apocolyptic world (I don't need to see how much Smif loved his wife and kid).

Agreed. Didn't the novella handle the pre-apocalypse business by having Neville watch videos or something?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:56 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
so sorry wrote:I was definetly expecting worse. I hope they don't spend too much time in the "post" apocolyptic world (I don't need to see how much Smif loved his wife and kid).

Agreed. Didn't the novella handle the pre-apocalypse business by having Neville watch videos or something?

I don't think so... he just talked about the past.

And I think I meant to say "pre" apocolyptic world :oops:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fawst on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Hmm... I need to check this trailer out when I get home, I think.

You know, the film industry really does love to make movies about the end of the world. Are we being prep'd for something? Look how many war/"Go America!" type movies came out in the years leading up to 9/11...

Conspiracy Theorists... GO!!!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:24 pm

Very much liked this trailer. And when Smith is on, he's a good actor. Hopefully he'll be on in this.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Nordling on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:38 pm

Also, I like how Will Smith's voice is scratchy in the trailer, like he's hardly used it in the past 5 years.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 pm

I really liked that shot of the deer (moose?) running through NYC. I'm kind of skeptical about this film because I'd heard that Akiva Goldsman was throwing his weight around on set, but we'll see how it goes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Nordling wrote:Also, I like how Will Smith's voice is scratchy in the trailer, like he's hardly used it in the past 5 years.

Yes... inna the novella, Matheson makes a the point of a that, eh? When a the character speaks his a first word, it comes out like a the guttural croak as ooposed to a the human voice, a 'cos it has been a the couple of a years since he needed to talk, eh?

Goddamn... the Dino, he loves a the faithful book adaptations, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

I Am Legend

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:25 pm

Not sold on this... I AM LEGEND isnt really a HUGE ACTION movie... Yet it seems that every attempt at it trys to make it so...

Give me a small, more moody version thats closer to the book!

I guess I'll be seein this opening day... only to see what they've done with it... Hell, I might be suprised!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Fuck, I hate Apple Trailers. I can never watch them at work and I don't have internet at home until tomorrow.

I wish they'd stuck to the suburban LA setting. To me, suburban vampires/whatever are a good deal scarier than walking around NYC waiting for the vampires. Small can be better.

Does anyone have any idea if they've stuck with the ending of the book? I like the quiet sadness far more than the "Oh, my god, the monsters speared the hero!" endings of the two existing adaptations.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Wait, didn't the novella take place in NYC? I thought it did.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Nope, suburban LA. A number of Matheson's major works are set there, possibly because he's lived there for so much of his life.

Also, The Omega Man and the new film both insist on making the protagonist someone unusual, a researcher, a military man, someone not like most of us. In the novel he was just an ordinary person, a suburban husband; he may even have been a manual laborer.

Goddam subject-verb agreement antecedent usage. Fucking edits.
Last edited by DennisMM on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Re: I Am Legend

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:42 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Not sold on this... I AM LEGEND isnt really a HUGE ACTION movie... Yet it seems that every attempt at it trys to make it so...

Give me a small, more moody version thats closer to the book!

I guess I'll be seein this opening day... only to see what they've done with it... Hell, I might be suprised!

I saw one action shot, the rest was fairly cerebral, IMO
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Fievel wrote:There's an odd image at 1:53 that I can't figure out.

This image comes between the shot of Will Smith and the title.
It just doesn't makes sense to me.
Anyone? Bueller?

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: I Am Legend

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:45 pm

bastard_robo wrote:Not sold on this... I AM LEGEND isnt really a HUGE ACTION movie... Yet it seems that every attempt at it trys to make it so...

I miss how this trailer reads as an action movie. If anything the events leading up to the collapse of humanity is shown in a pretty restrained way.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Feivel, I have no idea what you think you see in that still...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Todd on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:49 pm

Fievel wrote:

Anyone? Bueller?

Shit stain?
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:50 pm

so sorry wrote:Feivel, I have no idea what you think you see in that still...

I don't know what I see, either. But the shot goes from from Will Smith... to black... to that image... to the title. I've been drug-free for 7 months now... so I can't explain it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:50 pm

it's the fricken vampires

/doooooosh
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:51 pm

The Todd wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Anyone? Bueller?

Shit stain?

VENOM
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Conroy420 on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:52 pm

I liked the visuals of what I saw. It qill be a intresting film to say the least.

A well put togeher 'teaser' although I wish we saw a glimpse of the Vampires.
To read some original works by me, please ask, I need the feedback!
Conroy420
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Conroy420 wrote:I liked the visuals of what I saw. It qill be a intresting film to say the least.

A well put togeher 'teaser' although I wish we saw a glimpse of the Vampires.

dude are you blind?

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:55 pm

I think the teaser would be more effective if we weren't fmiliar with the story. Like if you had no knowledge of I Am Legend I think the trailer would be very intriguing. Adding in the Vamps it might just look like a 28 Days Later knockoff.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:So, what the hell went on in the beginning of this movie to have Je Fighters blowing up New York City themselves? Also, if Will is the last man left alive in the world, what are the living things he discovers and how did they become?

I canna tell iffa you are a being serious or a not, eh? Have a you not read a the novella?

The Dino, he's a beginning to wonder iffa we gotta to put a the "SPOILERS" inna the thread title, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:17 pm

if we discuss the original book, and the adaptation, is it considered spoilers?

i mean, i might be wrong but it looks like the movie is taking a totally different path...

and i'm curious to know what you guys think about the possible changes.

can't talk about it on the main site, because they're all obsessed with tearing a harry a new one (not that i object... heh)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Blue, the general rule of thumb around here lately would be to tiny-text anything that may be spoilerific, which I think in this case may be what happens in the novel.

So for example:
Possible spoiler

Yeah, it looks like they are taking a different path from the novel in the sense that Neville is NOT totally alone (he has a dog, which is a pretty fucking good mental companion to have IMO), and having him be a cop is, well, kindof a cop out if you ask me. Don't remember exactly what Neville's job was in the book, but I think it was more an "everyman's" type thing, right?.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:26 pm

so sorry wrote:Blue, the general rule of thumb around here lately would be to tiny-text anything that may be spoilerific, which I think in this case may be what happens in the novel.

So for example:
Possible spoiler

Yeah, it looks like they are taking a different path from the novel in the sense that Neville is NOT totally alone (he has a dog, which is a pretty fucking good mental companion to have IMO), and having him be a cop is, well, kindof a cop out if you ask me. Don't remember exactly what Neville's job was in the book, but I think it was more an "everyman's" type thing, right?.

He does have the dog in the book, albeit for a few days. Remember, he spends weeks trying to coax the dog to come to his house, and he finally gets him, and wrestles with him to keep him... But the dog eventually dies. So, I'm wondering if they're keeping elements of that... The other thing is his wife and kid. In the book, they die as a result of the "plague" but here they're seen being evacuated... wtf?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion