I AM LEGEND

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Am you Legend?

I Like Legend
60%
I Hate Legend
8%
I Meh Legend
21%
I Kong Legend
10%

Total votes : 48

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
so sorry wrote:Blue, the general rule of thumb around here lately would be to tiny-text anything that may be spoilerific, which I think in this case may be what happens in the novel.

So for example:
Possible spoiler

Yeah, it looks like they are taking a different path from the novel in the sense that Neville is NOT totally alone (he has a dog, which is a pretty fucking good mental companion to have IMO), and having him be a cop is, well, kindof a cop out if you ask me. Don't remember exactly what Neville's job was in the book, but I think it was more an "everyman's" type thing, right?.

He does have the dog in the book, albeit for a few days. Remember, he spends weeks trying to coax the dog to come to his house, and he finally gets him, and wrestles with him to keep him... But the dog eventually dies. So, I'm wondering if they're keeping elements of that... The other thing is his wife and kid. In the book, they die as a result of the "plague" but here they're seen being evacuated... wtf?

Ah fuck, how could I forget the dog from the book?!?! In any event, this pooch looks like his former police dog or some shit.
Regarding his wife/kid, yeah, they died of the horrible plague in the book, which really added to the sadness, as opposed to them getting blown up by a rocket!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:28 pm

I don't think Neville's a cop. He looks like he is wearing a military uniform. I also read somewhere that he plays a scientist... so a military scientist perhaps?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:31 pm

that unleashes the...yogurt?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:32 pm

unikrunk wrote:that unleashes the...yogurt?

...cue King Psyz's old avatar......
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby unikrunk on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:36 pm

nice. I am crying laughing just thinking about that thing. holyfuckinglord.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Spoilers?
Did anyone notice that they are carrying the dog as a puppy during the exodus sequence?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:59 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Spoilers?
Did anyone notice that they are carrying the dog as a puppy during the exodus sequence?

Do you just mean in terms of the timeline? Because the voiceover says it's been about 3 years somewhere in there too.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:07 pm

No meant in terms of the comparisons so sorry and others were trying to draw with the dog in the story.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Sorry for being late to the game, but I just saw the teaser and LOVED it. That's how a teaser is supposed to be done. If I didn't know much of the story, I wouldn't have a clue that this has anything to do with vampires at all. I wish more trailers were like this one, actually.

EDIT:
Although, I have to say the poster leaves a little to be desired. Is it a film about a guy birdwatching or something. "The last man on earth is not alone...because there's some birds flying around in the background, meant to show the desolation of the city, but perhaps he'll want grab some binoculars and catlogue them in a birdwatcher's diary. You never know."

All that might not have fit on the poster though.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:46 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I don't think Neville's a cop. He looks like he is wearing a military uniform. I also read somewhere that he plays a scientist... so a military scientist perhaps?

Yes. He's involved in biological research that involves the plague, as was Heston in The Omega Man.

I downloaded the Hi-Res trailer so I could get a better look at what appears just before the title. The image still isn't great, but it's larger and clearer.

If they still are in the script, I think we are looking at an Atomic Dog. Legs spread in a leap at the bottom, mouth open and roaring.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:32 am

DennisMM wrote:I downloaded the Hi-Res trailer so I could get a better look at what appears just before the title. The image still isn't great, but it's larger and clearer.

If they still are in the script, I think we are looking at an Atomic Dog. Legs spread in a leap at the bottom, mouth open and roaring.

And in his right eye... is... is that...?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:38 am

Joke made on previous page.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:42 am

My bad, Kaga... :oops:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:45 pm

bump.

Anyone know where bigdrawz can find the script online?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:49 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:bump.

Here's a pre-Goldsman draft of the script. I don't know if later drafts have been posted online or not.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bigdrawz on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:54 pm

thanks Lord Voldemoo I'm a newbie I know its got to be somewhere
bigdrawz
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:56 pm

bigdrawz wrote:thanks Lord Voldemoo I'm a welcome member of the Zone I know its got to be somewhere

No worries, welcome!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:46 am

Adam Balm wrote:

Here's a pre-Goldsman draft of the script. I don't know if later drafts have been posted online or not.

That's the Protosevich draft which, if I'm remembering correctly, was the widely-praised version.
The same site also has the later (I think) John Logan draft, but I've yet to see the current Akiva Goldsman script online.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:42 am

Akiva Goldsman :cry:
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:45 am

The Garbage Man wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:

That's the Protosevich draft which, if I'm remembering correctly, was the widely-praised version.
The same site also has the later (I think) John Logan draft, but I've yet to see the current Akiva Goldsman script online.

I'm about halfway through that script since balm posted it - must be transcribed because some of the grammar is awful - but it's really very good, though not really close to the novel.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:56 am

I just got done reading the script and I liked it quite a lot. It descends into an all action finale at the end and the dialogue needs a fair bit of work but it's got potential to be a a very good film. I don't see how Goldsman could have improved upon it though.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:00 am

Dude, I'm not done reading it yet, so not too many details on the finale - the pacing and what it includes is all good stuff, it leaves a lot to the overall execution - particularly the effects employed for the Hemocytes and dogs etc, (unfortunately I keep thinking of those odd vampire-like creatures in the film version of Stephen king's Sleepwalkers - which are actually very similar) but yeah it's good.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:10 am

Oh shit, sorry dude. I'll keep shtum. I'm going to start on the Logan draft later.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:14 am

Actually I'm interested in your comments, just not sure if we're going to infuriate other Zoners with our spoilers. I'm planning to read the Logan draft tomorrow myself, and it would be great to compare.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:22 am

I smell a bout of tiny text infecting this thread in the coming hours. I'll be back later with some discussion. I know one thing though, I don't want the Hemocytes looking like the Reavers from Blade 2, much as I like that film the descriptions of the Hemocytes could be interpreted in such a way by a lazy director. Agreed on the pacing and structure though and the first encounter with the Hemocytes in the script is extremely well done action-as-exposition.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:29 am

Reavers - NO.
Sleepwalkers - no, but closer to the mark, except for the weird cat-like heads they sport at times and their apparent propensity for incestuous relationships.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:58 am

tapehead wrote:Reavers - NO.
Sleepwalkers - no, but closer to the mark, except for the weird cat-like heads they sport at times and their apparent propensity for incestuous relationships.

Oh, oh fuck I know what film you're talking about now. Alice Krige was hot in that movie. The monster design is a bit goofy in that film don't you think? But done more realistically I think you are right. I remember Ron Perlman being good as the Sheriff too.

I just don't want anything out of Underworld or something. As little vampire stuff as is possible with creatures that drink blood and die from sunlight and destroying the heart.

Neville's home/fortress and assault gear is very very cool though. And everything with the dog*

*Spoilers for the end of the script - Except for the bit at the end with the "unspoken communication" bollocks
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:27 am

TonyWilson wrote:

Oh, oh fuck I know what film you're talking about now. Alice Krige was hot in that movie. The monster design is a bit goofy in that film don't you think? But done more realistically I think you are right. I remember Ron Perlman being good as the Sheriff too.

I just don't want anything out of Underworld or something. As little vampire stuff as is possible with creatures that drink blood and die from sunlight and destroying the heart.

Neville's home/fortress and assault gear is very very cool though. And everything with the dog*

*Spoilers for the end of the script - Except for the bit at the end with the "unspoken communication" bollocks

Which seems to be the primary reason that the script ends in that location - it's good up until the final quarter - I have a lot of reservations about the way all the 'HEMOCYTE VILLAGE' stuff.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TonyWilson on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:16 pm

tapehead wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

Which seems to be the primary reason that the script ends in that location - it's good up until the final quarter - I have a lot of reservations about the way all the 'HEMOCYTE VILLAGE' stuff.

Yeh that's exactly my feeling, Tape. Although - The girl being a mole was uber obvious as soon as he showed her round his security set up. It seemed kinda cheap and obvious- all of a sudden a gorgeous young woman turns up and the Hemocytes stop attacking at the same time. Neville's set up to be a smart guy, surely he would have seen that coming. The village and keeping the humans as food is a played out idea now, what with Blade and The Matrix but I guess in 1997 it wasn't so prevalent in movies.

Fix the end and you have a really kickass, scary, intelligent film.
TonyWilson

Postby tapehead on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:41 am

TonyWilson wrote:
tapehead wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:

Yeh that's exactly my feeling, Tape. Although - The girl being a mole was uber obvious as soon as he showed her round his security set up. It seemed kinda cheap and obvious- all of a sudden a gorgeous young woman turns up and the Hemocytes stop attacking at the same time. Neville's set up to be a smart guy, surely he would have seen that coming. The village and keeping the humans as food is a played out idea now, what with Blade and The Matrix but I guess in 1997 it wasn't so prevalent in movies.

Fix the end and you have a really kickass, scary, intelligent film.

The Mark Protosevich script is by far the better of the two. I suppose there is some chance that this is the one wikipedia refers to as being used in negotiations by Ridley Scott and Arnie back in the nineties http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(film), although, as always with wiki, without citations you never know. The Logan draft; the premise and perhaps opening half hour are good (Music cues are rubbish, and make me think it might just be a fan written piece), the rest stinks, IMO, despite starting off well enough, and including a few nice touches which update the story. I start to have problems with it from the first confrontation with the Hemocytes. The bowling alley ending and the space shuttle conclusion are just laughable. There's only a few minor points in the entire script I would hope are ever put to film. If you know of any other better versions available I'd love to read them. Fuck, I'm sure you or I could write a better version. here's a link to a review of the Goldsman script http://tinyurl.com/2vpnur Otherwise, wiki suggests the shooting script is somehat the Protosevich version, but re-written by Goldsman to be more like The Omega Man. Lastly, I haven't read it through but I'm pretty sure this is at least an early version of I Am Legend by John William Corrington which was drafted to be used for Omega Man http://tinyurl.com/2ajn6e
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:45 am

So I went to Transformers the other day and got to see the I Am Legend preview, and I noticed that the gas prices in the film were somewhere up near $7.00. Is this political commentary coincidental, or would it somehow be related to mankind's destruction in the story?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:59 am

Maybe it just takes place in the near future.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby judderman on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:04 am

Odd thing is, $7.00 is about what we pay here in the UK, and the world hasn't even ended!
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:40 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Maybe it just takes place in the near future.

Kind of; it said 5 years or something, I think.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:43 am

From Yahoo's Fall Movie Preview....

"I Am Legend," adapted from the same novel as "The Omega Man," takes place after a plague that wipes out most of humanity and transforms others into bloodthirsty nocturnal creatures.

Will Smith stars as a survivor — and possibly the last human on Earth.

Smith said he spends much of the movie in silence, with just a dog for company. To help capture the character's desperate loneliness, Smith met with prisoners of war and inmates who lived in solitary confinement, including one man left alone so long he claimed he had trained cockroaches to gather food for him.

"It's fun to have a moment by yourself alone, a little peace and quiet, but peace and quiet turns into your worst nightmare very, very quickly," Smith said.

"If you break your ankle, you need your tonsils out, anything that takes another person to do, the first time you get an infection, you're in trouble," Smith said. "The reason that there are cities and civilizations and Screen Actors Guilds and AFL-CIOs, the reason people form groups, is that you can't survive by yourself."

-Uses "The Omega Man" as a specific reference and not the novel alone...
-Uses the premise of the movie to try and garner support for unions....
-Used POW's as influences....
-Stars Will Smith....

I fucking hate this movie.
Oh, I'll see it... but I really do hate it.

The best thing that Will Smith could do for my interest in the movie is to shut is friggin' mouth. Now, please.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:47 am

Will Smith wrote:If you break your ankle, you need your tonsils out, anything that takes another person to do, the first time you get an infection, you're in trouble

Reminds a the Dino of a The Stand by a the Stephen King, no? Inna his a chapter onna the "2nd epidemic" after a the virus, she wipes out most of a the people, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fievel on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:59 am

Will Smith wrote:"The reason that there are cities and civilizations and Screen Actors Guilds and AFL-CIOs, the reason people form groups, is that you can't survive by yourself."

Reminds Fievel of the kind of logic Yogi Berra would bestow onto a Sociologists, Unions, & You! Convention after an all-night drinking bender.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:04 pm

Yeah... people forming groups to help each other is total fucking bullshit. What is up with this PINKO piece of shit movie?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:18 pm

Fievel wrote:From Yahoo's Fall Movie Preview....

Smith said he spends much of the movie in silence

Hopefully a career change he'll adhere to for the forseeable future (ie. till he leaves acting altogether).
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:29 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:
Fievel wrote:From Yahoo's Fall Movie Preview....

Smith said he spends much of the movie in silence

Hopefully a career change he'll adhere to for the forseeable future (ie. till he leaves acting altogether).

Would you like him to start rapping again...?

Because, if you didn't learn it the first time, parents just don't understand...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:46 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Would you like him to start rapping again...?

Please, Lord, I'd rather listen to Dido on loop 24 hours solid whilst eating my own vomit. If I thought his acting was smug, then compared to his crap-rap it's positively as humble as apple pie..........
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

I Am Legend

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Will Smith wrote:If you break your ankle, you need your tonsils out, anything that takes another person to do, the first time you get an infection, you're in trouble

Reminds a the Dino of a The Stand by a the Stephen King, no? Inna his a chapter onna the "2nd epidemic" after a the virus, she wipes out most of a the people, no?

So King ripped off Matherson!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:35 pm

I Am Legend Awakening

I can't tell if it's a trailer for a comic or just a standalone short. Either way, I get the distinct impression that The Fresh Prince won't be battling vampires.

Also glad to see that Jada Pinkett Smith developed the story of this project. If you're gonna rape a classic, might as well turn it into a family gangbang.

I actually liked the art of this thing.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: I Am Legend

Postby The Vicar on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

So King ripped off Matherson!

Lots of people ripped off Matheson.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Fievel wrote:I Am Legend Awakening

I can't tell if it's a trailer for a comic or just a standalone short. Either way, I get the distinct impression that The Fresh Prince won't be battling vampires.

Also glad to see that Jada Pinkett Smith developed the story of this project. If you're gonna rape a classic, might as well turn it into a family gangbang.

I actually liked the art of this thing.

wow, what the fudge was that?

Really cool...but I don't know what the hell its for (checked iamlegend.com and got no info there).

perhaps a comic book series, eh?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:00 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Dr William Weir on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:01 pm

<SPOILER HORIZON>

I seem to remember from the novel that the vampires were more like zombies for the most part?
Dr William Weir
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 pm

Dr William Weir wrote:<SPOILER HORIZON>

I seem to remember from the novel that the vampires were more like zombies for the most part?

Zombies can't yell "NEVILLLLLLE!!!!!!!!".
And the vampires were the new breed of dominant species as evident by the ending of the book.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Main site has linkto a new trailer... Apple version coming tonight?

I want to see this movie a little bit more now. Post-apocalyptic NYC looks pretty cool.... just wish the movie would actually be "I Am Legend" onscreen.

Sigh.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Call it something else, cause it sure as hell isn't I Am Legend.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion