I AM LEGEND

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Am you Legend?

I Like Legend
60%
I Hate Legend
8%
I Meh Legend
21%
I Kong Legend
10%

Total votes : 48

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Hmmm, towards the end of that trailer I got a bad iRobot vibe (the hordes of vampires swarming on him).

Looked cool enough, but I actually got the reverse effect than you Fievel... I think i want to see this a little less now (not that it was high on my list to begin with).

The Vicar wrote:Call it something else, cause it sure as hell isn't I Am Legend.

what he said...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:54 pm

The Vicar wrote:Call it something else, cause it sure as hell isn't I Am Legend.

Yeah, and I fully agree with that.
The title "I Am Legend" has absolutely no bearing on me wanting to check it out. In fact, it's probably the main reason I don't want to see it. But that trailer did intrigue me somewhat.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby tapehead on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 pm

so sorry wrote:Hmmm, towards the end of that trailer I got a bad iRobot vibe (the hordes of vampires swarming on him).

Looked cool enough, but I actually got the reverse effect than you Fievel... I think i want to see this a little less now (not that it was high on my list to begin with).

what he said...

The Vicar isbang on, and it almost seems from promo material so far that someone just wants to call it 'The Last Man on Earth', a title which, like 'Omega Man', would have given it a distinct enough identity, separate to Matheson's novel for me to be able to appreciate it without the nagging annoyance I'm getting when watching the trailer (haven't seen the new one yet because the leaked version has been pulled. Stunning effects aside, there's still a lot of potential for this to suck it hard.

If Harry has Akiva Goldsman's draft, why the hell won't he let someone review it so we have some idea what we're in for?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:16 pm

fuck me, the trailer is down. anyone have a link?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:57 am

Proper trailer is meant to go up after midnight US time, Burls, so that link should work soon.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:47 am

tapehead wrote:
so sorry wrote:Hmmm, towards the end of that trailer I got a bad iRobot vibe (the hordes of vampires swarming on him).

what he said...

The Vicar isbang on, and it almost seems from promo material so far that someone just wants to call it 'The Last Man on Earth', a title which, like 'Omega Man', would have given it a distinct enough identity, separate to Matheson's novel for me to be able to appreciate it without the nagging annoyance I'm getting when watching the trailer (haven't seen the new one yet because the leaked version has been pulled. Stunning effects aside, there's still a lot of potential for this to suck it hard.

If Harry has Akiva Goldsman's draft, why the hell won't he let someone review it so we have some idea what we're in for?

Big assed fucking ay on that.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:08 am

I dunno guys, this looks scary and fun. And I really don't see where making some changes to the book is necessarily going to a) make the movie be suddenly BAD, b) not keep the spirit of the book, and c) make people now look at the book as somehow tainted because of the movie. Most people haven't even HEARD of the book. In my opinion, this is going to open up a whole new generation of fans to Matheson.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:27 am

Except what they're doing to Matheson's story bears little resemblance to Matheson's work. They're trying to make The Road Warrior:NYC. That ain't what Richard had in mind.
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:56 am

I'm suddenly reminded of the Family Guy episode where Peter makes changes to The King And I... adding robots & stuff.... because he thought it would be cooler... and sadly, the public agreed.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:38 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I dunno guys, this looks scary and fun. And I really don't see where making some changes to the book is necessarily going to a) make the movie be suddenly BAD, b) not keep the spirit of the book, and c) make people now look at the book as somehow tainted because of the movie. Most people haven't even HEARD of the book. In my opinion, this is going to open up a whole new generation of fans to Matheson.

Its the association with the book thru the title of the movie that seems to be annoying most of us (just like iRobot, another Smif movie).

Call it Last Man on Earth or some other shit, and say its based on Mathason's book, and I think the complaining around here would basically go away.

It doesn't feel like the book at all.
From the trailer, it seems that Neville's wife and kid get away... Smif's version of Neville doesn't seem to be a drunk... the vampires don't seem to be intelligent... there isn't that sense of hopelessness and dread.

All of these changes make this movie drastically different than the book. They've pulled all the emotional punch out of it, and replaced it with action and scares.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:40 pm

so sorry wrote: there isn't that sense of hopelessness and dread.

I dunno... the thought of spending my time hitting golf balls like that is pretty dreadful.
The Last Man On Earth would have been the perfect title, and from the first two trailers it's obvious that they like to use it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm

I disagree that there is no hopelessness or dread. If anything I think the film has improved upon that from the tone of the book (unless the rumored ending I read way back is true). I think the isolation in the film is much worse considering he hasn't seen a human in three years let alone heard one compared to seeing them every night and having them yell at you etc. The more monstrous vamp things that don't seem to talk fit in with this.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I disagree that there is no hopelessness or dread. If anything I think the film has improved upon that from the tone of the book (unless the rumored ending I read way back is true). I think the isolation in the film is much worse considering he hasn't seen a human in three years let alone heard one compared to seeing them every night and having them yell at you etc. The more monstrous vamp things that don't seem to talk fit in with this.

Couldn't disagree more. I don't get ANY sense of hopelessness from this.
Could be Smith's acting. He seems annoyed. He seems to be holding out hope that the world beyond him isn't infected/gone. He seems bored.AND HE'S GOT A DOG TO KEEP HIM COMPANY!

Book-Neville was borderline suicidal (thru his drinking). Book-Neville was a zombie... going thru the motions of surviving without really knowing why. Book-Neville watched his daugther's body burned in a mass pit.

Again, let me reiterate: i don't think i'd hate this movie if i saw it. It looks like a fun romp. I'm just annoyed that I would watch it and try and compare it to the book, and that would take away from the movie-going experience.

PS please don't tell me what rumored ending you are reffering to!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:58 pm

Fievel wrote:I'm suddenly reminded of the Family Guy episode where Peter makes changes to The King And I... adding robots & stuff.... because he thought it would be cooler... and sadly, the public agreed.

"Automoton Nuclear Neo-human Android" - a robot ninja from the planet England sent to rid the world of the king's tyranny.

This film could see Will Smith becoming a killer robot driving instructor that travels back in time for some reason. His best friend is no longer a dog, but a talking pie!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:03 pm

I don't get the impression that his Wife and Kid get away. It looks to me like they get blow'd up on a bridge. And I think the trailer exudes hopelessness. Smith is trying like mad to find a cure for a bunch of nasty shits that don't want a cure. They don't look like mindless monsters because he seems to be able to talk to them, and we also seem him "captured" at one point and they aren't just tearing into him.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Different Hi Def Trailer

I hadn't seen that one yet!

Nice, fun, more scary.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:30 pm

so sorry wrote:

Nice, fun, more scary.

The levels of both interest and contempt have risen.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Nice, fun, more scary.

The levels of both interest and contempt have risen.

watching it in HD, with the ability to go frame by frame is SWEET.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby tapehead on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Clint Mansell's music from 'The Fountain' is officially the most over-used trailer music ever at this point, however I think in this case it might be yet another instance where the 'Lux Aeterna' track from 'Requiem for a Dream' is being used again - But I'm not sure.
Last edited by tapehead on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 pm

Nice trailer - but ain't I am Legend.

Completely agree with Fievel.
The Vicar

I Am Legend

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:48 am

so sorry wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:I disagree that there is no hopelessness or dread. If anything I think the film has improved upon that from the tone of the book (unless the rumored ending I read way back is true). I think the isolation in the film is much worse considering he hasn't seen a human in three years let alone heard one compared to seeing them every night and having them yell at you etc. The more monstrous vamp things that don't seem to talk fit in with this.

Couldn't disagree more. I don't get ANY sense of hopelessness from this.
Could be Smith's acting. He seems annoyed. He seems to be holding out hope that the world beyond him isn't infected/gone. He seems bored.AND HE'S GOT A DOG TO KEEP HIM COMPANY!

Book-Neville was borderline suicidal (thru his drinking). Book-Neville was a zombie... going thru the motions of surviving without really knowing why. Book-Neville watched his daugther's body burned in a mass pit.

Again, let me reiterate: i don't think i'd hate this movie if i saw it. It looks like a fun romp. I'm just annoyed that I would watch it and try and compare it to the book, and that would take away from the movie-going experience.

PS please don't tell me what rumored ending you are reffering to!

Yeah, but in the book,Neville perks up after his near death encounter with Cortman, and even more after the dog dies! He's fucked up in the begging, and he's seen some fucked up shit with this dead neighbor taunting him everynight.

This preview perks me up a little bit, but Im still expecting AW HELL NO to pop out somewere.

(which Sorry, love your avatar!)
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby tapehead on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:55 am

so sorry wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:I dunno guys, this looks scary and fun. And I really don't see where making some changes to the book is necessarily going to a) make the movie be suddenly BAD, b) not keep the spirit of the book, and c) make people now look at the book as somehow tainted because of the movie. Most people haven't even HEARD of the book. In my opinion, this is going to open up a whole new generation of fans to Matheson.

Its the association with the book thru the title of the movie that seems to be annoying most of us (just like iRobot, another Smif movie).

Call it Last Man on Earth or some other shit, and say its based on Mathason's book, and I think the complaining around here would basically go away.

I agree, but I probably forgot to mention in my post above that it might still be a problematic as a title, because it has already been used by the earliest adaptation of Matheson's work -
The Last Man on Earth, which has been mentioned a few times earlier in this thread.

It seems from the trailer that Neville might be immune to the plague (as Price's character is in the film linked) and that he might be trying to 'cure' the vamps.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:36 am

tapehead wrote:
so sorry wrote:

I agree, but I probably forgot to mention in my post above that it might still be a problematic as a title, because it has already been used by the earliest adaptation of Matheson's work -
The Last Man on Earth, which has been mentioned a few times earlier in this thread.

It seems from the trailer that Neville might be immune to the plague (as Price's character is in the film linked) and that he might be trying to 'cure' the vamps.

That is the same as the novella though he doesn't start out interested in curing them.

I think the bottom line is that things were changed (like almost all adaptations) and we must wait and see if that was a good or bad thing.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:45 am

I've read the book, although it was long ago, and I've watched all the film versions (plan to re-watch 'The Last Man...' some time soon) as well as reading the scripts I could find for this version, so I am a little hazy on which plot point is from where at times. I've also just a couple of days ago been loaned the graphic novel adaptation by Steve Niles and Elman Brown - anyone read it / would recommend it as a good version?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 am

tapehead wrote:I've also just a couple of days ago been loaned the graphic novel adaptation by Steve Niles and Elman Brown - anyone read it / would recommend it as a good version?

From what I recall, the graphic novel is almost a literal adaptation.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:17 am

Fievel wrote:
tapehead wrote:I've also just a couple of days ago been loaned the graphic novel adaptation by Steve Niles and Elman Brown - anyone read it / would recommend it as a good version?

Now THAT I would like to se....( scampers off to ebay....)
The Vicar

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:30 am

The Vicar wrote:
Fievel wrote:

Now THAT I would like to se....( scampers off to ebay....)

a few pages of the graphic novel are on amazon to view.

/end threadjack
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:49 am

Just bagged a hardcover copy of the novel, and the graphic novel too.
Ole!
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:51 am

The Vicar wrote:Just bagged a hardcover copy of the novel, and the graphic novel too.
Ole!

Sweet...

Now go over to the Werewolf game and VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:53 am

havocSchultz wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Just bagged a hardcover copy of the novel, and the graphic novel too.
Ole!

Sweet...

Now go over to the Werewolf game and VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh shit....( scampers like the frightened rodent hoping not to get lynched that he is )
The Vicar

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:16 am

Ole!

Sweet! We'll be reading it at the same time - would love to hear your impressions, Vic, especially since I've long noted your devotion to the novel.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:24 am

tapehead wrote:
Ole!

Sweet! We'll be reading it at the same time - would love to hear your impressions, Vic, especially since I've long noted your devotion to the novel.

Which one - the novel or the graphic novel?
Guessing the second, but it's late, I'm tired and about as stupid as I can get on short notice.....

Always happy to yak about Matheson.....hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I'll enjoy revisiting it.

It's funny - i tried collecting the I Am Legend graphic novel when it came out, but only managed to collect two of four.
I'll be camped out by my gorram mailbox...
The Vicar

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:37 am

The graphic novel - I'm sure there are heaps of the GN / comic readers on the Zone who have read it. I'm actually wondering if it might warrant a thread to discuss it once I'm done.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby The Vicar on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:42 am

Matheson should have his own thread anyway....so I'd vote Go For It......
The Vicar

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:41 pm

early review from the main page

Regarding the review itself: "meh" is just what I expected.

BEWARE of a serious end-of-movie spoiler in the first paragraph.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:52 pm

This may be Zoner Sacrilege, but I'm pretty sure that this'll turn out better than The Last Man on Earth, even if that was more faithful to Richard Matheson's book. The ending of that movie was like some Benny Hill sketch, with Vincent Price as Benny Hill, running around in circles until the director cuts to credits.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Al Shut on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Sounds awesome.

The Benny Hill thing I mean.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:16 pm

Al_Shut wrote:Sounds awesome.

IPAMP!

I actually just found Last Man on Earth online (available for legal download), so I'm gonna try and watch it sometime soon.

And I can't wait for the Benny Hill moment...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm

so sorry wrote:

IPAMP!

I actually just found Last Man on Earth online (available for legal download), so I'm gonna try and watch it sometime soon.

Benny Hill was great! As was David Allen! :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Seppuku on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:53 pm

so sorry wrote:

IPAMP!

And here's that link!

No, wait, my bad, I mean here's that link!

It's actually half-decent earlier on, with Price's nasally internal monologues and the shots of him just driving around a deserted city. It's also pretty creepy the way he has to play classical music to drown out the sound of the growling vampire-zombies outside.

I still think that the ending sucks zombie balls though.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:03 pm

I donna know, eh? The review, she seem awfully fishy to a the Dino, no?

The putz, he dinna say nothing that was a not inna the trailer or inna the old script, eh?

Possibly a the plant from a the rival studio or a just a some putz wanting to get a some attention, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Yeah, I don't put a lot of stock in reviews like that.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:20 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I donna know, eh? The review, she seem awfully fishy to a the Dino, no?

The putz, he dinna say nothing that was a not inna the trailer or inna the old script, eh?

Possibly a the plant from a the rival studio or a just a some putz wanting to get a some attention, no?

Isn't the spoiler about the ending good enough for you? I guess when someone here sees the flick and reports back, we'll find out if this paisano was a telling the truth or being a putz!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Unna'fortunately, the putz, he's a prolly right about a the couple of a the things, inna that a the goddamn trailers these days, they alla'ways give away the best a parts of a the picture, no?

For example, inna the actual picture, you prolly gotta this a long anna silent scene with a the Will tracking anna hunting a the deer, no? Anna just as a he's about a to pull a the trigger, the goddamn wildcat, he jumps inna anna steals a the kill, no? Iffa you went inna'to a the theater cold, holy crappa, that would a be a the good surprise, no? Anna it's a the way a the director, he prolly inna'tended it, eh?

But of a course, the company that cuts a the trailer, they put alla the good bits inna the 30-second spot, inna'cluding that one, anna so's a the entire scene, she's a gonna to be wasted a 'cos a we alla'ready know a the payoff, no?

Anna again, the art, she is a sacrificed for a the ability to get alla you putzes inna the seats, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:33 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:For example, inna the actual picture, you prolly gotta this a long anna silent scene with a the Will tracking anna hunting a the deer, no? Anna just as a he's about a to pull a the trigger, the goddamn wildcat, he jumps inna anna steals a the kill, no? Iffa you went inna'to a the theater cold, holy crappa, that would a be a the good surprise, no? Anna it's a the way a the director, he prolly inna'tended it, eh?

But..... we are still left with the shot immediately following that where Will screams "Aww Hell Nawww!". See? Some goodies are left for the main picture.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Mr.E on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:08 am

Why won't anyone do a direct adaptation of Richard Mattheson's book? It would be a helluva lot better than this one. BTW.. the CGI vamps don't look too menacing. They crawl up walls and shit, they kinda look like those things from "The Descent".
Mr.E
GLIB

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:16 am

Mr.E wrote:he CGI vamps don't look too menacing. They crawl up walls and shit, they kinda look like those things from "The Descent".

whoa, they look like a blind, albino, milky white cannibalistic yeast infections?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Mr.E on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:17 am

I wouldn't go THAT far...

but, yes... somewhat similar.
Mr.E
GLIB

Postby tapehead on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:00 pm

really positive review has now appeared on the main site, which seems to confirm that this is the Goldsman and Protosevich that tonywilson and I talked about in the other original thread for this movie. So, I take this to mean that this movie might start well, but unless they have changed the script, wil end very, very badly.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion