I AM LEGEND

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Am you Legend?

I Like Legend
60%
I Hate Legend
8%
I Meh Legend
21%
I Kong Legend
10%

Total votes : 48

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:41 am

Fievel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:I would prefer, if they intend to fuck over Matheson's novel YET AGAIN, that they not use I am Legend for a title.
Or anything that hints at Matheson's masterpiece.
It might end up being an entertaining film, or not, but it sure as hell won't be I am Legend.
I'm so sorry, Richard.

15-yard penalty.
Illegal use of logic.
Repeat Third Down.

Every new picture, spoiler, set report, etc. makes me want to visit the production and fling poop at anyone and everyone involved. I don't care that it's a black male in the lead, I care that it's Will Smith. I know he's going to have his typical smart-ass lines throughout the movie (even one line is too many). I can already smell the random product placement. I have to go vomit now.

This film with Will Smith will be a lot of different things to different people, but it won't be I Am Legend.
The tragedy here is that this iconic novel keeps getting fucked by Hollywood.

Robert Neville isn't an action hero.
Or a scientist.
Or a cop.
He's just a guy who manages to survive, and trys to teach himself how to solve the plague.
The subtle, heartbreaking moments in the novel ( Neville & the dog , fer instance) will most likely not make the final cut so Will Smith can fly around gunning down vamps & cracking wise.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:19 pm

As soon as Will Smith was attached to this movie then it was doomed.

Prejudging too soon, maybe?
Well, perhaps. But I get the feeling that this movie will be all about another Will Smith 'project' like it usually is.
A shame because the book is a classic.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:21 pm

The Vicar wrote:The subtle, heartbreaking moments in the novel ( Neville & the dog , fer instance) will most likely not make the final cut so Will Smith can fly around gunning down vamps & cracking wise.

Will Smiff wrote:"Aww Hell no!"
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:10 pm

so sorry wrote:
The Vicar wrote:The subtle, heartbreaking moments in the novel ( Neville & the dog , fer instance) will most likely not make the final cut so Will Smith can fly around gunning down vamps & cracking wise.

Will Smiff wrote:"Aww Hell no!"

Yup.
That's what I'm talking about.

Shit, some of us ought to get together & pen this film. I scripted this thing about 15 years ago, staying with the novel, but making some allowance for developments since the book was written.
Obviously, 15 years on, more adjustment would be called for, but not by cornholing the source in the process.
The Vicar

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:12 pm

I hoenstly don't mind will smith. And NEville Being a balck male don't bother me either, it ain't the color of his skin that makes Neville what he is. (In some books, espcially comics - its nice to matchf aces but it ain't THAT important)

But its the way this is being done And Francis lawrences MTV style Hell...oh no, sorry CONSTANTINE was vile... I THINK the only, or one fo the view, I stopped wathing afte teh first godawful scene!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Flumm on Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:55 am

Not quite fresh of the press, but almost...

Joblo.com wrote:

'Tis also the first I have heard that Cortman will apparently not be a part of the post apocalyptic proceedings...
Last edited by Flumm on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:00 am

a\wwwww i got a red cropss! wot did it say Flumm?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:06 am

Sorry! Was eating breakie at sametime!

I mean I got a red cross, as in CAN'T DISPLAY sign, up and wanna know what it said! Can't find it on Joblo!

However, if its announcing know Cortman, yeah, that is a bit old - but thanks for posting ccos it ain't been mentioned here and people might not have realised!

The news came when it was rumoured that Depp was to play Cortman (when the project sounded good, I would say interesting but I'm still interested in it, just not in a good way!) and the producers annouced that no Depp and no COrtman!

No Cortman is yet more proof that this has NOTHING to do with the novel excpet the title, and it being one of the greatest titles ever, is even more of a fuck up!

Ahh welllll.... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:34 am

No Cortman.
Nice.
Fucktards.

It's going to be Omega Man Part II.

It sure as hell ain't I Am Legend.
Matheson, save us!!!
The Vicar

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:44 am

At least Omega Man holds its own... and is consider a cult classic. Can you see that befalling this? The closet this things resembles is I,Robot 2, not not simply cos it starred Will Smith. BUt that is a huge coincidence hey!?! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby MisterCynic on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:33 pm

i frankly dont care that much, because hollywood is never going to get i am legend right, so why not do a slick-looking movie with some decent action with a post-apocalyptic slant? im interested in this movie, despite a lot of what ive seen like smith involved and it being in new york and the god damn reb cobra with racing stripes...

but then, the book is always on my shelf. and hollywood is never going to do that right, not with that ending. im glad they arent using cortman, at least now its i am legend in name only and we can all move on. sort of like dawn of the dead, and id say that ended up working out just fine.

say what you will about lawrence... you dont have to love or even like constantine, but the guy clearly knows what hes doing. a better script and that movie could have been something special, and even as it is its not very badly made and scores some nice style points.

im looking forward to this movie that will bear little resemblance to i am legend.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:03 am

If they didn't call it I AM LEGEND my problem with this would drop dramatically.

If they called it something else but it was still based on I AM LEGEND, then thats fair enough. I would be upset that they didn't have the balls to do I AM LEGEND properly.

I would still be worried about what I've seen but I wouldn't be as worried.

And for the record I am more worried by Franic Lawrences attachment than I am Will Smith's :-)

that is all :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:32 am

POSSIBLE BOOK SPOILERS BELOW
HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK?
GO AND GET.
SKIP THIS.

The only bright side is that it leaves the door open for someone else to get it right. It could easily be done on a not very large budget.
A little CGI for the deserted city shots...the fire pit has to be done right. It should scare the living piss out of every man woman & child in the audience.
It really is a far more intimate story than its cinematic treatments would suggest. The whole episode with the dog. His wife on his doorstep. Standing on the edge of the fire pit with his daughter's body in his hands. The whole Cortman relationship.
I have a cunning plan.
The Vicar

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:40 am

And thats all I ask...

But I still feel Hollywood could add their needed polish to it and it would still work. You could still put some Vampire killing in there and a car whizzing round empty streets. I'm not that much of bastard. But they're not doing I AM LEGEND, and that's my
problem!

:-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:43 am

Oh, remembering Constantine - it'll be polished. My worry it's going to be hollow. Polish is better when it's covering something of substance... it's the difference between a 1700's coffee table from Warwick Castle and one from my living room by Ikea.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:06 am

nice analogy hyperbole! :-)

I turned Constantine off after first scene. It was so vacant and bullshit style I couldn't handle it! And I like Michael Bay!

a polished turd is still a turd :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:49 am

Constantine was much better than I'd expected after reading so many dreadful reviews. Still awful, though.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:08 am

I honestly couldn't stand that first scene where its all MTV, set in Mexico and there is something going on with a NAzi item and a possesion. But with the look of it I was waiting for N'Sync or someone to jump out and start dancing...

Why couldn't it be dark, gritty, set in London with someone like Tim Roth playing Constantine as a fucked up drunk doing all this shit.

And if they must set it in USA (and I'm in no way a big voice against such changes - despite what you may think reading this thread :-) ) why change everything.

And I love that they're not changing the title of I AM LEGEND, but they changed the title of Hellblazer, which I think kicks fucking ass, to a pansy ass title like Constantine. Which, I like that name, but if you're a group of lads on a Friday night, what film owuld you rather see (Going by the fact that you're not a comic book nerd and know next to nothing about the film!)

I think Constantine was a fuck up from day 1 which probably had some nice bits in it, so those, like my man Dennis, decided to sit through it all, were suddenly surprised by certain bits.

MTV stuff usually does have that effect. I certainly own some of their films.

I'm sure I AM LEGEND will be the same, its not about these guys making a truely shit film. Its about taking a great book with a great name and changing everything but the name, stopping other people making a great movie with the name it deserves!

Ah well... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:54 am

ANyway.... back on topic

I AM LEGEND POSTERS HERE!!!!

This better be fake. Thats all I can say! They look a little photoshoped and although my fear for this movie is obvious... I can only say that this proves my original theory. France Lawerence is making:

I, Robot 2!

And worst of all, at least Proyas was a good filmmkaer who fucked up! Lawrence has no ticks in my book! :-)

But I'm 99% sure these are faked. Bus as they are floating out there as "real" I thought you guys might like a look! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:58 am

Look fake to me. Either that or feckin' worse than the X3 posters, which is UNpossible.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:11 am

Weak.
Very weak.
The Vicar

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 am

You know, I always a picture a the DennisMM inna this a role, eh? Must a be a 'cos a the beard or a something...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Orcus on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:53 am

I read the story about 10 years ago and loved it. Even though The Omega Man was based on the story, it had the decency to not call it IAL. When I saw the movie when I was a kid, I loved it. I was totally unaware of the source material and for me at least, it held it's own.

The only hope that the book would get a chance would be as a miniseries, although Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth came pretty close.

My fear is that this is going to turn into Escape From New York with vampires.
"Where's you're God noooooow???!!"
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

I Am Legend

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:17 pm

I really love this story.

It was the first book i read when i gave up on doing school work in school and dedicated to just read my day away during my last 2 years of HS. I read teh thing cover to cover 4 times in a month. (i broke it up with a few things here and there, mostly Reble with out a Crew)

Hell, when i started writing screenplays, i tried adapting the story (as was) into a small little indy film i could make with my friends. It never got further than an almost complete script hand written on notebook pads.

I really dont like the idea of Will Smith in this thing now. I got faith in the director because Constantine was kick ass in style alone. Maybe if they had gotten someone else, and make it "LESS" action oriented, it could have been GREAT! But i see cool little film to catch during Thanksgiving weekend next year.

BTW, Posters = FAKES! Theres no way these things are getting released now, and with such bad quality.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:18 pm

I tell a you one thing... I gonna to be interested iffa they gotta the balls a to make a the ending the way she was a written inna the book, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:24 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I tell a you one thing... I gonna to be interested iffa they gotta the balls a to make a the ending the way she was a written inna the book, eh?

I'd feel better if I thought that they'd read the bloody thing.
The Vicar

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Your point, she is a taken, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

I Am Legend

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:26 pm

IT would be kick ass, but i dont see that happening. I dont see him going through the personal struggle that the original Neville went through. Not to mention that the film takes place in NY, and not LA. Thats a big throw off for me already.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:49 pm

It's disturbing how little respect is being shown to the source material, which is nothing new but still lamentable for anyone who loved the novel.

Sod it.
Just means, in another 3 to 5 years, that a proper take on the story is still doable.

I Robot II.
The horror, the horror.
The Vicar

Postby Orcus on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:41 pm

You know, just for the hell of it, I'm going to give this movie the benefit of the doubt. Folks have been crapping on the new James Blonde movie and then later said it was good. I know it won't do the novel justice but I feel that curiosity will overtake me on this.

That, since I hail from NYC, I am kinda interested in seeing what they did with the joint
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:50 pm

as a side note, I jsut put the I Am Legend novel on my Christmas/pollyanna list thanks to all the talk about it here in this thread...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:54 pm

so sorry wrote:as a side note, I jsut put the I Am Legend novel on my Christmas/pollyanna list thanks to all the talk about it here in this thread...

Just pretend you never saw Omega Man when you're reading IAL.
Really hard.
The Vicar

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:57 pm

well, I only saw Omega Man once, and all I really remember is a whole lotta afros and bad makeup.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Orcus on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:04 pm

Ah, Chuck Amok, in his gun totin', hamfisted glory.

What I never understood is that the streets were devoid of traffic. Did folks in a fit of civic duty pulled over to the side when they died?

On a side note, I also enjoyed Soylent Green, still do. After I read the novel I was surprised there was no "Soylent Green is people" subplot.
Last edited by Orcus on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:05 pm

so sorry wrote: all I really remember is a whole lotta afros and bad makeup.

That sounds like a kick-ass party to me!!!

I got the book and graphic novel (I think it's a word-for-word adaptation) last Christmas. After reading them both, the words "Will" and "Smith" just don't fit. Neither do "Action" and "film".

I'm sure, like several other posters, that in the future someone will actually pick up the book, read it, and make a movie that duplicates the events, drama, and tragedy of the book.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:09 pm

so sorry wrote:as a side note, I jsut put the I Am Legend novel on my Christmas/pollyanna list thanks to all the talk about it here in this thread...

Just a so a you know, eh? It's a not a so much of a the novel as it is like a the extended short a story, no? Or perhaps a the, how you say? "novella?"

You might a just a wanna to go anna check out a you local library, eh?

This has a been a the public service announcement by a the Dino.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:12 pm

Orcus wrote:On a side note, I also enjoyed Soylent Green, still do. After I read the novel I was surprised there was no "Soylent Green is people" subplot.

wait, soylent green is people? THANKS FOR THE SPOILER WARNING DOOCHEBAG!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Orcus on Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm

Oh you're welcome, any time at all.

Next time try not to be 30 years out of date.

BTW, at the end of Planet of the Apes, Chuck Heston realises that he landed back on earth in the future, in case you are just catching up now.
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:47 pm

Orcus wrote:
BTW, at the end of Planet of the Apes, Chuck Heston realises that he landed back on earth in the future, in case you are just catching up now.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

They blew it up...?!?!?!?!

Damn them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Orcus on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:59 pm

That's what you get when you get Rod Serling to do the screenplay. BTW, the movie loosely resembled the book, and in this case it was a good thing for the movie.

And what about that Norman Bates fellow? Think he's gone funny in the head?
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:24 pm

His relationship with his mother...creepy. Can you say "Oedipal complex?"
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Great. Now I've got two movies spoiled.

I guess now you're going to tell me that the vampires in I Am Legend are really an alternate culture risen out of the ashes of the previous human empire, and that really Will Smith's character is seen by them as a murderer to be feared when they make themselves known at the end of the movie. Which is why it's called I Am Legend.

Jesus...

United 93 just arrived in the post, you going to spoil the end of that for me as well?

Yes, bad taste. I know...
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Orcus on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:43 pm

In 30 years
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:50 pm

To be fair, it's not wise to expect everyone to have seen every film, no matter how old. Just sayin' is all. ;)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Orcus on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:06 pm

Understood.

You would have thought that something that has been so ingrained in pop culture would be common knowledge. You know it hit the bigtime when it's parodied on SNL, the Simpsons and the Colbert Report.

I guess I'll hold back on my 10 Commandment spoilers then 8)
Orcus
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:07 pm

There's TEN Commandments?

(I edited my spoilerific IAL post ;) )
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:18 pm

so sorry wrote:well, I only saw Omega Man once, and all I really remember is a whole lotta afros and bad makeup.

Definately a child of its time.
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:51 pm

All hope has been officially squashed.

From the main site:

Will Smith wrote:It's going great. We're taking a scheduled break right now, but we've been shooting in New York for a while. We've managed to make a small, character drama into a big special effect movies. It's that old school '70s kind of story-driven movie.

The special effects are ridiculous, but we don't depend on them at all to tell our story. They are insane, but there's no dependence on them at all. You don't know it yet, but you should be looking forward to it.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:55 pm

of that's fucking great.

thanks Will Smif, your dickbag!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:02 pm

you know who would have been a good director for this movie? PJ, for real.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion