The Zone's 2008 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby instant_karma on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:33 pm

CeeBeeUK wrote:
justcheckin wrote:I wish we got post counts for editing our journals... :(

I know. I resisted the urge to fluff every time I update mine.

But the postcount would be nice ;)

I think talking abour resisting the urge to fluff counts as fluff.

As does this post...
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby justcheckin on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:27 pm

instant_karma wrote:
CeeBeeUK wrote:
justcheckin wrote:I wish we got post counts for editing our journals... :(

I know. I resisted the urge to fluff every time I update mine.

But the postcount would be nice ;)

I think talking abour resisting the urge to fluff counts as fluff.

As does this post...

I disagree... fluff is only fluff when what you have to say isn't really all that important. Personally, I think everything I say is important. Therefore... I deduce that this is not fluff but a trifle of a conversation.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:31 am

Bah!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby instant_karma on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:18 am

Take heed justcheckin. The lord of fluff hath spoken...
instant_karma

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am

my 2008 Movie Journal
So on the eve of the end of the month, thus closing out the first 1/4 of the year, I decided to go back and evaulate what I've seen so far...

I've seen 27 films to date (99% on cable or from my DVD collection... I gotta get out more!), with an average rating of 5.5 out of 10.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:04 am

This just in: so sorry gives cinema a 5.5 on 10! :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby instant_karma on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Damn, now I'm going to have to try and work out a way to average with colours...
instant_karma

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:43 am

black?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby instant_karma on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:36 am

Al_Shut wrote:black?

I tried squinting while scrolling my page up and down really fast to see if it left a dominant impression of a colour. It didn't help.

Black it is...
instant_karma

Postby silentbobafett on Thu May 01, 2008 9:34 am

Updated with The Break-Up, Cloverfield and Forgetting Sarah Marshall
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu May 01, 2008 10:16 am

April's Best Films
Nilouhe Nuer (Daughter Of The Nile) - 9.0
Hsiao-hsien Hou is a master auteur and this film shows him trying to showcase how we attempt to escape the urban decay that surrounds us. As usual the visual component is astounding.

Grand Hotel - 9.0
Great big budget old hollywood character fare.

Ossos (Bones) - 9.0
Pedro Costa's harsh tale set in in the slums of Lisbon after an unwanted pregnancy and it's ramifications. Costa showcases a living, breathing collection of outcasts in this minimal drama. A possible companion piece to Dardenne bros. L' Enfant.

Le Voyage Du Ballon Rouge (The Flight Of The Red Balloon) - 9.0
Hsiao-hsien Hou's homage to The Red Baloon is a visual treat with so much heart you cant help but be moved. Great use of mis-en-scene and his usual extremely long takes with natural blocking and negative space makign you feel like the action is truly taking place in the real world. Binoche is at her best and Simon Iteanu believable showcases his young character's emotional needs. Also, watch for the meta-narrative/commentary on what it means to produce art.

Der Himmel Uber Berlin (Wings Of Desire) - 9.0
Unfortunately the Nicholas Cage movie City Of Angels is based upon this Wenders film, but forget that Hollywood crap here because this is one emotionally involving tale. Wenders is a master of perspective in this film.

Before Sunrise - 9.0
One of my favorite romance films.

Moana - 9.0
This iss the first movie that the term documentary was used. It's an interesting look at Samoan culture and a coming of age ritual.

Worst Films
Southland Tales - 5.0
Bongwater - 2.0
L' Umanoide (The Humanoid) - 3.5
Rambo: First Blood Part III - 4.0
D' Wild Wild Weng - 4.5

The less said about these the better.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby LeFlambeur on Thu May 01, 2008 12:46 pm

April was a damn fine month for me, and if I were to list all of the best, I'd just be listing half the movies I saw. The two standouts are Preston Sturges' sophisticated, satiric, and surprisingly touching Sullivan's Travels; and what I think is Howard Hawks' finest comedy Bringing Up Baby (which I've already seen previously). The worst was reluctantly, The Forbidden Kingdom. Though I still found it more enjoyable than Cameron Crowe's weak coming of age rock movie Almost Famous.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DaleTremont on Thu May 01, 2008 12:55 pm

April WAS a kickass month for me as well. I think my favorite had to be Mr. Majestyk. Although Deep Red was all kinds of awesome. And those two Mondo movies were some of the best times I've had watching a movie.

I gave Wicker Man a lower score than Elizabeth: the Golden Age but in retrospect Wicker Man was at least somewhat entertaining in a hitting-head-against-wall kind of way. So I'll give it up to Elizabeth 2 for worst movie of April.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:and what I think is Howard Hawks' finest comedy Bringing Up Baby

you know, everyone's entitled to think what they want, but you should totally re-think your position on HIS GIRL FRIDAY, which is not only Hawk's finest comedy, but one of the best comedies ever committed to celluloid.

SULLIVAN'S is awesome, but I prefer the Eddie Bracken starring MIRACLE AT MORGAN'S CREEK (my favorite Sturges) and HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO.
One notch down from those 3 stone cold classics is the even ahead of our prudent moral times THE PALM BEACH STORY, and then, slightly below that gut busting yarn, THE GREAT McGINTY AND THE LADY EVE.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Thu May 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:and what I think is Howard Hawks' finest comedy Bringing Up Baby

you know, everyone's entitled to think what they want, but you should totally re-think your position on HIS GIRL FRIDAY, which is not only Hawk's finest comedy, but one of the best comedies ever committed to celluloid.

SULLIVAN'S is awesome, but I prefer the Eddie Bracken starring MIRACLE AT MORGAN'S CREEK (my favorite Sturges) and HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO.
One notch down from those 3 stone cold classics is the even ahead of our prudent moral times THE PALM BEACH STORY, and then, slightly below that gut busting yarn, THE GREAT McGINTY AND THE LADY EVE.

I may have to re-visit His Girl Friday. Its a great film and I understand why that one is often picked out as the best, but being honest with myself, I preferred Baby.

I've seen The Lady Eve and I'm starting to work my way a bit through Sturges' stuff right now, I'll have to keep an eye out for Miracle at Morgan's Creek.

Also, are you going to keep doing the journal thing? I haven't seen an update since March, and it was all good stuff so far...
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 01, 2008 4:33 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:Also, are you going to keep doing the journal thing? I haven't seen an update since March, and it was all good stuff so far...

well, now that there are two people who seem to care enough about it to ask...maybe. Honestly, I was getting tired of writing (admittedly pretty poor) reviews and not even getting a response to them. I guess I should've put the reviews in What Have You Been Watching, but I didn't think my writing was up to snuff, either by my own paltry standards I've set for myself previously, or especially compared to other critics/reviewers, either here or on the web.

but thanks for noticing...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 01, 2008 4:40 pm

What about this, Mr. Sensitive!!??

YOU NEVER ANSWERED!!!!

Pacino86845 wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote: 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - 2007 - Cristian Mungiu - ♥♥♥1/2
The -1/2♥ that keeps 432 from utter perfection is for the utter clueless uselessness of Gabita...seriously, she gives halftards a bad name.
And Mungiu could easily have called this BESTEST. FRIEND. EVAR! and had just as informative a title.
For what a friend Otilia is, eh? Who the hell doesn't need a BFF like Otilia in there lives? I like to think I'd go above and beyond for my friends in a time of need, but Otilia's actions would make all such gestures moot.
Intensely gripping, with hypnotic long takes and an absolutely mesmerizing performance from Anamaria Marinca as Otilia, the 432 never beats the viewer into submission with its slight condemnations of life under an oppressive regime, but the suggestion runs throughout the course of the film - from a morally wishy-washy abortion Dr. to snooty hotel receptionist, to the black market purchasing of regular convenience goods, to the film's tour-de-static-camera-force set-piece, a very, very uncomfortable dinner party attended by Otilia 'cuz she's not only a great BFF, but an awesome girlfriend to boot.
It's in that long, painfully drawn out scene that the tension established earlier (it comes post shma-shmortion) becomes nearly unbearable, and it's all pretty much accomplished by a nifty composition and Marinca's subtle facial movement - utterly remarkable acting, staging, direction in a film that features plenty of each.
I could go on, and probably will, especially about the wonderfully discombobulating characterization of the abortionist, but suffice to say that 432 deserved all of its accolades and awards and more than lived up to the crushing expectations I had going in...no easy feat, that.

Nice. So when are you planning your visit to Bucharest already?

Shadow of a Doubt - 1943 - Alfred Hitchcock - ♥♥♥1/2
The Hitchcock retrospective at the flophouse continues, this time with Hitch's personal favorite of all his films, and it's easy to see why. Debonair, dashing and devious, the always unappreciated Joseph Cotten has never been better, particularly when he articulates his disdain for his fellow humans, especially women, in a couple of wonderfully creepy monologues*. Stunning use of light and shadows throughout, the pull back in the library when Charlie Newton discovers just what Uncle Charlie was concealing with his desecration of her father's treasured daily paper being the highlight (in the DVD commentary, Hitch wanted the effect to be like a "whoosh" sound, and boy does that shot succeed in that), but there are scads of other instances of Hitch's utter mastery of composition and lighting throughout.
Very cool to see a young Hume Cronyn as a prototypical nerd - his running metatextual "perfect murder" scenarios he and Mr. Newton run on each other during the course of the film add an extra kick to what's going on before us - ditto Hitchcock filming a stolen base (of all the baseball plays Hitch could've used, it' all too fitting, no?) and one other instance of the serene bucolic charm of suburban U.S. being shown for the sham that it is (that I've unfortunately forgotten), and the parallels between Cotten's blonde charmer and the Nazi menace currently plaguing the world become even more clear. That when he's killed, his memory is untarnished in the eyes of the townsfolk, that his sister never recognized his fairly obvious evil ways, the pining that Uncle Charlie and his sister have for an idealized past? Hitch might not have done outright political commentary, generally pushing story above metaphor, but in SHADOW OF A DOUBT, at least in retrospect, its pretty clear that he had an agenda above and beyond the call of pitch-perfect story construction and ratcheting suspense.
The only reason I took off the 1/2 ♥ is that I just couldn't stand the high pitch caterwauling of Patricia Collinge as Charlie's mom and sister - I'm willing to allow Hitch his pretty darn sexist views of women, but her utter cluelessness, her grating voice and all too stereotypical demeanor had me siding with Cotten far more than I think Hitch intended...or maybe not, never know with that women issue freakshow. Charlie herself, who starts off like her mom only to grow right before our eyes into a cynical, jaded woman by the end...well, at least her early annoyingness is blunted by her character arc. I can forgive Emma only so much before her perf became too much to bear.

*"The cities are full of women, middle-aged widows, husbands, dead, husbands who've spent their lives making fortunes, working and working. And then they die and leave their money to their wives, their silly wives. And what do the wives do, these useless women? You see them in the hotels, the best hotels, every day by the thousands, drinking the money, eating the money, losing the money at bridge, playing all day and all night, smelling of money, proud of their jewelry but of nothing else, horrible, faded, studly, greedy women... Are they human or are they studly, wheezing animals, hmm? And what happens to animals when they get too studly and too old?"

and...

"You think you know something, don't you? You think you're the clever little girl who knows something. There's so much you don't know, so much. What do you know, really? You're just an ordinary little girl, living in an ordinary little town. You wake up every morning of your life and you know perfectly well that there's nothing in the world to trouble you. You go through your ordinary little day, and at night you sleep your untroubled ordinary little sleep, filled with peaceful stupid dreams. And I brought you nightmares. Or did I? Or was it a silly, inexpert little lie? You live in a dream. You're a sleepwalker, blind. How do you know what the world is like? Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip off the fronts of houses, you'd find swine? The world's a hell. What does it matter what happens in it? Wake up, Charlie. Use your wits. Learn something."

and the way Cotten delivers them both, with so much conviction, so much deep seated venom? Not to mention the way Hitch shot both of them?
Just flat out masterful filmatism.

Curse you for hiding such brilliant musings in this thread! Mental note formed, I hope to god that Cotten's performance lives up to your description of it. I can picture it in my mind now, and seeing it played out, if the picture is correct, would bring me great joy!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 01, 2008 4:43 pm

hey, I did say two people.

you were the first.

and always will be.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul
You'll be my breath should i grow old...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 01, 2008 4:44 pm

*wipes tear from eye, shares slice of blueberry pie* :wink:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby LeFlambeur on Thu May 01, 2008 5:01 pm

No one's expecting you to be Andrew Sarris here dude. If you do decide to pick it up again, maybe try cutting down on the word counts (I'm surprised you had the energy to keep it up as long as you did, to tell you the truth).
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu May 01, 2008 5:54 pm

LeFlambeur wrote:(I'm surprised you had the energy to keep it up as long as you did, to tell you the truth).

that's what my girlfriend said the other night...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LeFlambeur on Thu May 01, 2008 6:17 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:(I'm surprised you had the energy to keep it up as long as you did, to tell you the truth).

zing!

:lol:
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bob Samonkey on Thu May 01, 2008 8:27 pm

I cannot believe how long I have kept this up!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby doglips on Fri May 02, 2008 4:07 am

LeFlambeur wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

zing!

You're supposed to offer condolences, he's fishing......
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri May 02, 2008 4:47 am

doglips wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

zing!

no no, I fished her!

I fished her for a loooong time, and she was surprised my...

well, I've said too much already...
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Fri May 02, 2008 5:11 am

DaleTremont wrote:April WAS a kickass month for me as well. I think my favorite had to be Mr. Majestyk.

Not only is the film a good example of proper old skool BADASS Cinema but it's also one of the best Leonard adaptations. Love that film
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby doglips on Fri May 02, 2008 7:06 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
doglips wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:

zing!

no no, I fished her!

I fished her for a loooong time, and she was surprised my...

well, I've said too much already...

hahaha, I knew you'd turn it into something rude.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri May 02, 2008 11:48 am

It's weird. I really don't have a best or worst for the month of April. I saw a few films, and I rated them all similarly.

I guess I'll give the best to THERE WILL BE BLOOD. And the worst... I guess it's MAN WITHOUT A FACE, although I enjoyed it enough.

Here's to seeing more movies this month.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 03, 2008 4:54 am

YAY, Keepcool's journal is back!!!

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Doomsday - Neil Marshall - ♥1/2
What a let down. It does have some moments, but they're the smaller ones, the attention to slight gore details that, had the plot not been entirely derivative and making you wish you were watching any of the other movies that were homaged, would have made this a near classic.
But it's an abject failure. Smaller Neil, focus on smaller, more character driven horror, and you'll be fine.

Co-sign completely and utterly.

Into the Wild - 2007 - Sean Penn - ♥♥

Good man.

Lake of Fire - 2006 - Tony Kaye - ♥♥♥♥
You know, it used to be called playing it safe, or hedging your bets, when you straddle the middle of a divisive social issue. But now, in our left vs. right, red vs. blue, liberal vs. conservative, in our highly fractious times, it's dangerous, economically for a documentary film at any rate, to play the middle, to present both sides of an argument.
And maybe that explains the utter failure for LAKE OF FIRE to find a wider audience, 'cuz it certainly can't be the breathtaking filmmaking beauty so amply on display (shot on high contrast b & w to emphasize the polar extremes of the two sides of this debate, it's never less than a marvel to look at). Nor can it's failure be attributed to the erudite talking heads, including pioneering social critic Nat Hentoff of the Village Voice, the first "liberal" I ever read who was pro-life, and the smartest man in the world, the great Noam Chomsky.
Kaye has said himself that even he, after years and years spent working on the film, even he doesn't know where he stands in regard to abortion and abortion rights.
I believe him.
You'll bring your own prejudices in, for sure, and while one wishes the film had come out in the late 90's when the events in the film were taking place (or, conversely, if the film had been more topical for the current clime), one can't argue the power of this documentary to do the things we ask of all art - to make us think, to make us question, and to make us feel.
Brilliant film, powerful filmmaking, me and BP were riveted throughout the two and a half hour runtime. There were long stretches were I couldn't blink, and others where I had to force myself to watch. Not for the squeamish, and most certainly not for the stupid.

Oh, wait, that's why it failed, commercially.

I vaguely remember Mori's review for this... it had brought the film to my attention but I don't think it's been released here yet... dunno if it ever will. Nicely-written, man. I <3 Noam Chomsky... I finally became interested in politics and governments (and linguistics too!!) once I'd discovered him in the Canadian (?) doco Manufacturing Consent. Dunno how "relevant" that film is today, but I gather a lot of its themes still are (relevant, that is), especially the stuff on the media (which is the main focus, anyhow) and the freedom of speech laws.

Paranoid Park - 2007 - Gus Van Sant - ♥♥1/1
I dunno, I was enraptured by the cinematography (I ♥ Christopher Doyle), I liked the noir-ish, time out of joint storytelling (and, yes, for Van Sant, there was some story to be found here. Non-linear, for damn sure, but still, it's there), I could stare at pretty boy lead Gabe Nevins forever and not get tired of his placid, what's he thinking? blankness...but, for some reason, it never really added up to much for me.

My friend over here was dying to see this film for MONTHS, literally. A huuuge Gus Van Sant fan, then it finally came out.... one week later it was out of theaters. :shock: Sorry that it didn't pan out though, I thought it might've been a return to form for Van Sant.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 03, 2008 8:36 am

The best, or maybe just the most interesting, movie in April was the Holy Mountain

The most boring and pointless was The Exorzism of Emily Rose

Conclusion: Damn I hardly go to the movies anymore :(
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby LeFlambeur on Sat May 03, 2008 1:36 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:Suspicion - 1941 - Alfred Hitchcock - ♥♥1/2
Butchered by the studio, Hitch still manages to get off some choice moments (another dinner table scene on how to commit the perfect murder), but I guess the studio thought audiences would be unwilling to accept Grant as a murderer. A pity, 'cuz it really hampered the film. Fontaine won an Oscar, but she's too wishy-washy and weak-willed for my modern sensibilities.

In Truffaut/Hitchcock, Alfie helpfully explains how he wanted it to end. In the last scene, the wife would be seen writing a letter to her mother explaining that she could never leave her husband or accuse him of being a murderer, but if she should die, her mother should turn him over to the authorities to protect society from him. Grant enters and gives her a suspicious drink that she takes, and she asks him to mail the letter. He walks outside, pops it in the mailbox and the movie ends. Which would have made for a much better ending. Strange, it wasn't even that he was a murderer, even the implication that he might be a murderer was unnacceptable. He could still be a male war bride though...
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DaleTremont on Sun May 04, 2008 3:55 pm

John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:April WAS a kickass month for me as well. I think my favorite had to be Mr. Majestyk.

Not only is the film a good example of proper old skool BADASS Cinema but it's also one of the best Leonard adaptations. Love that film

Classic Bronson:
Linda Cristal says to Majestyk, "If you want to make love to me why don't you just say it."
Bronson responds, "I don't want to say it I want to DO it!"

Fucking awesome.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon May 05, 2008 7:37 am

updated through March.

thanks for the support gentlemen, forgot how much fun it is just to ramble in that space...no getting into nerdly quibbles about films others love, no great need to write 'em up all scholarly and neat, just pure, unadulterated stoner ramblings.

but I'm totally serious about THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon May 05, 2008 7:54 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Lust, Caution - 2007 - Ang Lee - ♥♥1/2
Too much caution, not enough lust. Which is all too typical of Lee, but, strange, 'cuz apparently he's got butfuck more footage of the what very much looks like real fucking going on between aging but still one sexy sonbitch Tony Leung and awesome, incredibly hot newcomer Tang Wei.

I would try to argue here but I simply am incapable of responding to that.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed May 07, 2008 1:00 am

Updated to include everything I watched in April. I also dropped the 5 category, since I wasn't using it often enough to really justify its existance.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 6:13 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Margot at the Wedding - Baumbach is such a weirdo.

good or bad weirdo? I guess if you saw this you've seen SQUID AND WHALE?

I can relate, somewhat, to similar experiences with my freaky family.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed May 07, 2008 6:21 am

Flumm wrote:April

AIRWOLF

Il Gattapardo (1962)

- The Leapord

Faces (1968)

SCHOOLED OF OLD

Last Tango in Paris (1972)

[RE] Blue Velvet (1985)

[RE] Wild at Heart (1990)

Trees Lounge (1996)

Amadeus (1984) <((

Once (2007) <((

King of New York (1990)

Dial M for Murder (1954)

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Inland Empire (2006)

[RE] Bottle Rocket (1996)

[RE] L.A. Confidential (1997) <((

Kagemusha (1980)

- Kagemusha the Shadow Warrior

Bad Company (1972)

GROUND OF HOG

Micheal Clayton (2007)

[RE] The Rules of Attraction (2002)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1983)

Belle de jour (1963)

Millions Like Us (1943)

PALOOKAVISION @ 24fps

Coeurs (2006)

- Private Fears in Public Places

AIRALF

/////

KEY

<(( = Last Three Films Added

[RE] = Rewatched

you accidentally didn't put BELLE DU JOUR under Airwolf.

fix it fix it fix it!

quite a month, a hodgepodge of cinematic greatness.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby beastie on Thu May 08, 2008 8:26 am

April Best and Worst:

Best - Three Way Tie
The Kite Runner
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
The Savages

Worst - Oh this may be the worst I've ever seen
The Crow: Wicked Prayer - I only wanted to see it because of Lance Mungia and I had really enjoyed Six String Samurai. But this was as bad as bad gets.
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 08, 2008 8:41 am

beastie wrote:
The Crow: Wicked Prayer - I only wanted to see it because of Lance Mungia and I had really enjoyed Six String Samurai. But this was as bad as bad gets.

The only good thing about the movie was the soundtrack...
I really enjoyed the music in it...

The rest - bah!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby beastie on Thu May 08, 2008 8:56 am

havocSchultz wrote:
beastie wrote:

The rest - bah!

The soundtrack didn't leave an impression on me. I just looked it up and I don't recognize the performers, so I can't really comment on it. But the flick - the awfulness sends shivers down my spine.
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 08, 2008 9:42 am

beastie wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
beastie wrote:

The rest - bah!

The soundtrack didn't leave an impression on me. I just looked it up and I don't recognize the performers, so I can't really comment on it. But the flick - the awfulness sends shivers down my spine.

Hmm...it might not actually be that good...but I think I eventually just blocked the film out...and the only thing I really remember was the music then...

Either way, it was better than the film it was in...which I guess isn't a terribly difficult feat in this case...but still...credit where credit is due...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby silentbobafett on Mon May 12, 2008 8:46 am

Updated with INTO THE WILD - which blew me away, for the record! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby DaleTremont on Mon May 12, 2008 8:42 pm

[quote="Keepcoolbutcare"]Iron Man - 2008 - Jon Favreau - ♥♥
(what to do, what to do? Clean this up, narrow down it’s focus, come up with a snazzy, “this is what this review will doâ€
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Just want to remind everyone to post their favorites (and worsts) of the month. Some great movies happening this time of year.

I'll post mine in a day or so.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DaleTremont on Mon May 26, 2008 3:15 pm

Another crazy movie month for me.

I absolutely loved The Silent Partner. Seriously, see this movie and Payday. Both completely different. Both amazing. Some of the best times I've had at the movies watching these.

I took an obscene amount of enjoyment from The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.

I also saw Yojimbo for the first time. It's hard to top that. Another Kurosawa flick a friend recommended was Stray Dog. That one was fantastic as well...Toshiro Mifune was so pretty back in the day. (Yeah that's my genius thought blurb on the Kurosawa film :-P )

Golden Compass was by far the worst. Although Smart People was pretty terrible as well. It's like that person who's nice and unassuming but absolutely no one would even notice missing if they were wiped off the face of the earth...

And SPEED RACER! Going to see that one again at Imax before it goes out of theaters.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby doglips on Tue May 27, 2008 6:24 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:Lust, Caution - 2007 - Ang Lee - ♥♥1/2
Too much caution, not enough lust. Which is all too typical of Lee, but, strange, 'cuz apparently he's got butfuck more footage of the what very much looks like real fucking going on between aging but still one sexy sonbitch Tony Leung and awesome, incredibly hot newcomer Tang Wei.

I would try to argue here but I simply am incapable of responding to that.

I watched it last night and have to agree with KC, Lee missed an opportunity to make a really visceral film here. Took way too long to get going yet it wasn't really a slowburner either. I really wanted the movie to be less linear, to get mixed up along with Wong Chia Chi's emotions, to really feel and understand her fears, doubts and passion. It seemed such a simple and plodding interpretation ( so simple, my mind was wandering. ) of what was a very complex plot.

Great performances, cinematography and costumes but Lee missed the mark by a long way with this movie.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 27, 2008 5:12 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I'll be seeking out Miracle of Morgan Creek soon!

I think you'll love it. Aside from the gee whiz, aww shucks 1940's downhome Americana of Eddie Bracken (which I find endearing, BP not so much, but she still loved it), Sturges is, at least for the 1940's, rather progressive in his social and gender politics.

and the writing...good gawd, the writing!
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue May 27, 2008 5:18 pm

doglips wrote:Great performances, cinematography and costumes but Lee missed the mark by a long way with this movie.

jeez, a long way? I liked it, my gripes have to do with Lee as a whole...he's an auteur, no question, but just too stately for my tastes. And not exactly original either...the kickass females and serene imagery of CROUCHING TIGER is all King Hu.

not that many know who he is, and if you want to appropriate directorial moves, good to go with someone relatively unknown, but still.

I prefer Verhoeven's take on similar material with BLACK BOOK, and it's interesting to compare and contrast the two films...I prefer the pulpy, lurid over-the-top antics of PV to AL anyday, but I can see why others wouldn't.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed May 28, 2008 6:30 am

I must watch Black Book, it one of those eternally on my list movies.

4 Months, 3 weeks And 2 Days and Koyaanisqatsi are next on the pile....
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby silentbobafett on Wed May 28, 2008 7:34 am

So I've had a week off work which has allowed me to catch up on stuff! I basically spent everyday in bed watching TV shows! I managed to watch in this week alone:

The Soprano's Season 1
West Wing Season 7
Veronica Mars Season 3
Damages Season 1

plus

Some Kind of Monster
30 Days of Night: Blood Lines
Blood Beach

and some other things that have escaped my mind!

It was a great week of feeling like shit! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion