Harry's CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Review!!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Harry's CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Review!!

Postby Moriarty on Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:30 pm

Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Rav on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:39 am

this is just sort of okay
Rav
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Great film.

Postby docfalken on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:44 am

A visual masterpiece. My kids loved it big time. We'll see it again Sunday. But this time we are going to smuggle in hot dogs instead of paying $5.00 for one.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby Rav on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:51 am

i dunno it is visual, but i lovey my wilder-o. and bizarrely enough even though that one was called "willy wonka and the choco factory" there was more character to charlie in that one than "Charlie and the Choco Factory"

And totally smuggle the dogs, the theatre ones look gross they've always been there for hours
Rav
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Moriarty on Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:53 am

Dude, I used to work at theaters. I spent five years working at theaters.

Do. Not. Eat. The. Hot. Dogs.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Bean on Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:33 pm

:shock: You mean the hotdogs aren't that great for you?

I'm seeing the movie hopefully later today, will post back later!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby anghus on Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:47 pm

Moriarty wrote:Dude, I used to work at theaters. I spent five years working at theaters.

Do. Not. Eat. The. Hot. Dogs.

I worked at a theater for about 2 years, and i learned this lesson as well:

The Nacho Cheese. It ain't cheese, and if you eat it, you will most certainly have intestinal issues later on that night.

Seeing Charlie tonite. My girlfriend went to Raleigh and saw it on IMAX. Im so envious.
anghus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Postby Pissed-Off Crawdad on Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:36 pm

I personally really liked it. The first 20 minutes, where the movie was just setting up the characters, and giving you an idea of who Charlie is, were the strongest parts in the movie, though. In fact, it made me wish even more that Warner Bros. had hired Burton to do the first Harry Potter movie. But anyway, I loved it visually, I liked the quirky sense of humor, and from the reaction of the audience I was with, it worked exceptionally well as a kid's film (I heard one little girl say out loud about halfway through "I wanna make chocolate!"). But I could definitely see how people could hate it...and legitimately so.
Pissed-Off Crawdad
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

yadayadayada

Postby Coldfire24 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:15 pm

I refuse to compare the two movies. I feel like their takes on the book are completely different. I like both. But alas i'm gonna have to go with Gene.

I worked in the theater throughout highschool....trust me those hot dogs worked there a lot longer than I had....and hell I bet the same 15 hotdogs are still used to this day....never eat the hot dogs.
Coldfire24
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:05 pm

Dino love a the movie hot-a-doggies! When a you get to be a my age, you need a the good colon blow every now anna then. I eat a one of them, anna I'm a good for a month. My doctor, he a says I gotta the colon of a the young man, anna I'm a still a kicking!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:08 pm

I wrote my review for this a little while back (check it out here: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20566), and I've been sitting with it a little more.

I still say the first act of the film is flawless and that the CG, miniature and matte work is near-pefect.

It's Johnny's performance that's not... I don't know. It's not nearly as timeless as the Wilder version. It's good, fun and interesting, but it isn't timeless.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:09 pm

What is wrong with movie Hot Dogs? Seriously, tell me. I eat them all the time.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:39 pm

It shows Burl
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby The Ginger Man on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:20 pm

MasterWhedon, I read your review after I saw the flick. And you were absolutely right, the first act was spot on perfect. It had me so jazzed, I went right into the rest of the film and slowly realized that while I was enjoying it, I was just.....eh. For lack of a better word. But damn, that first act was great.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Re: Great film.

Postby Agent Alonzo on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:11 am

docfalken wrote: But this time we are going to smuggle in hot dogs instead of paying $5.00 for one.

Take a word of advice from PeeWee Herman, don't smuggle them in your pants, it can lead to all sorts of comedic confusion...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:19 am

am I the only one thatloved this movie?

Tim Burton is the Greatest Family Film director around now. Everything he has made I feel alright with my kids watching, and I enjoy watching his movies with him.

As for comparing this to the Wylder Classic, you can't. I like them both as seperate films.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:51 am

Shane's bump means my pee-wee gag gets the chance to amuse another generation of zoners...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Gene Wilder's CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Review!!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:42 am

IGN:
Gene Wilder Disses Burton's Chocolate Factory
Former Willy Wonka Gene Wilder has some rather harsh words for Tim Burton and his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Gene Wilder's CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Review!!

Postby Fievel on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:23 am

TheButcher wrote:IGN:
Gene Wilder Disses Burton's Chocolate Factory
Former Willy Wonka Gene Wilder has some rather harsh words for Tim Burton and his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Part of me wishes he hadn't been so polite as to give the movie its own time and wait to trash it.
But then, that wouldn't be Gene Wilder.

He and his Wonka still reign supreme.

....wow that sounded wrong.....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Harry's CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Review!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:22 am

80 years old? wow.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Willy Wonka: The Franchise Begins

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:52 am

Moriarty wrote:http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20716

headgeek wrote:One-third of the way through CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, my now five year old nephew whispered to his grandfather, “Granpa – I’ve seen this before, but I can’t remember it right.”

Tim Burton’s CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is simply scrumdiddliumptious. In many ways this film reminds me of EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, there’s a feeling of cinematic whimsy at play here. Something magical, beautiful and incredibly warm. To me, it is Burton's first live action film that from start to finish never hits a false note for me.

I’m quite anxious to see this movie again. Burton has delivered a delectable feast for the senses here. Burton hasn’t been this good in a very long time… if ever. What a summer!

‘Willy Wonka’ New Film in the Works From David Heyman and Warner Bros. (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:After helping build the “Harry Potter” franchise and rebooting it with “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” producer David Heyman and Warner Bros. are re-teaming to revive another classic character.

Sources tell Variety that Warner Bros. has acquired the rights to the “Willy Wonka” IP from the Roald Dahl Estate and is planning a new movie centered around the eccentric character.

Heyman will produce with Michael Siegel, who is the manager of the Dahl Estate. Kevin McCormick is exec producing. “The Secret Life of Pets” scribe Simon Rich is penning the script. Courtenay Valenti and Jon Gonda are overseeing the project for the studio.

Sources reveal that the film will not be an origin tale, but a standalone movie focused on Wonka and his early adventures. It’s unknown who from the original book series, other than Wonka, will be involved in the project. If the reboot is a hit, it seems likely that characters like Charlie could be seen in future installments of a possible franchise.

The studio has been trying to lock down rights from the Dahl Estate since the beginning of the year and finally closed a deal earlier this fall. Dahl penned two books in which Wonka appeared — the 1964 novel “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and the 1972 book “Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator” — but never wrote anything focused specifically on the Wonka character.

“Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” has since been adapted into two feature films, most recently by Warner Bros. in 2005 with Tim Burton directing and Johnny Depp starring as Wonka. The original Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder, died on Aug. 29.

Warner Bros.’ musical adaptation of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” playing on the West End since 2013, will open on Broadway in April.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:06 pm

TheButcher wrote:Sources reveal that the film will not be an origin tale, but a standalone movie focused on Wonka and his early adventures. It’s unknown who from the original book series, other than Wonka, will be involved in the project.

Bwahaha. The times we live in, amirite?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:57 am

Ribbons wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Sources reveal that the film will not be an origin tale, but a standalone movie focused on Wonka and his early adventures. It’s unknown who from the original book series, other than Wonka, will be involved in the project.

Bwahaha. The times we live in, amirite?

YES!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:23 am

Willy Wonka: Rise of the Wonka
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:53 am

Willy Wonka: The Wonka Awakens
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:48 am

Wonka Begins
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:08 am

Wonka v Slugworth: Rise of the Snozzberries!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:55 am

Free Willy Wonka
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Return to Movie Discussion