SPEED RACER

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Go Go or No Go Speed Racer?

10
11
24%
9
11
24%
8
5
11%
7
8
18%
6
3
7%
5
2
4%
4
2
4%
3
0
No votes
2
0
No votes
1
3
7%
 
Total votes : 45

The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby bastard_robo on Thu May 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Zarles wrote:No thanks. Alcohol makes people talk too much.


Beauty of the Arclight is that if you do that, they kick your ass out!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Zarles on Thu May 15, 2008 11:17 pm

See, now I'm interested.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby bastard_robo on Thu May 15, 2008 11:22 pm

Arclight is probably the BEST theater in SOCAL!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat May 17, 2008 1:59 am

Saw it again tonight. Loved it again tonight.
Image
User avatar
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3955
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am
Location: Northern Frontier

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 17, 2008 6:08 am

I had my reservations.

I was a naysayer.

Then I realized that not every Zoner who'd seen the film could be wrong (except for Zarles, he likes everything as long as it has purty colors... :wink:), so I went to watch it.

And I'm convinced: Speed Racer is a terrific family film, a Pixar film with a few rough edges... that Pixar never made.

Not to say that it didn't have a couple of nagging problems, namely the setting up of all the pieces that will play out from the mid point of the film to the end... it felt rather clunky and drawn out, but this does not kill the film... it doesn't even make the film "bad."

By the rally race, the cynicism and lack of interest I had started melting away. The relationships among the members of the Racer family and friends were usually welcome, but my favorite scenes were by far those with Speed and Trixie or Racer X.

I didn't like Spritle and Chim Chim at all, the kid was way too fake for my taste, but all the other players were spot on. I "got" what the Wachowski Brothers (they still keep that moniker) were trying to do, and for the most part they were successful.

What really elevates the film, however, is how much HEART it has!!! I was hoping to be the first one to emphasize that but Spandau at least already beat me to it.

And oh yeah, the races kick ass... :)

Fellow cynics and naysayers, Speed Racer is really not bad. How much you end up liking it will of course depend on your taste/mood/etc., but I believe it's more likely that you will like it than dislike it.

I thought it was a very good effort, a really enjoyable film that has sadly been panned and ignored.

8/10 (very good - excellent)
Last edited by Pacino86845 on Sat May 17, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 17, 2008 6:17 am

PLANT!!!







;)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I had my reservations.

I was a naysayer.

Then I realized that not every Zoner who'd seen the film could be wrong (except for Zarles, he likes everything as long as it has purty colors... :wink:), so I went to watch it.

And I'm convinced: Speed Racer is a terrific family film, a Pixar film with a few rough edges... that Pixar never made.

Not to say that it didn't have a couple of nagging problems, namely the setting up of all the pieces that will play out from the mid point of the film to the end... it felt rather clunky and drawn out, but this does not kill the film... it doesn't even make the film "bad."

By the rally race, the cynicism and lack of interest I had started melting away. The relationships among the members of the Racer family and friends were usually welcome, but my favorite scenes were by far those with Speed and Trixie or Racer X.

I didn't like Spritle and Chim Chim at all, the kid was way too fake for my taste, but all the other players were spot on. I "got" what the Wachowski Brothers (they still keep that moniker) were trying to do, and for the most part they were successful.

What really elevates the film, however, is how much HEART it has!!! I was hoping to be the first one to emphasize that but Spandau at least already beat me to it.

And oh yeah, the races kick ass... :)

Fellow cynics and naysayers, Speed Racer is really not bad. How much you end up liking it will of course depend on your taste/mood/etc., but I believe it's more likely that you will like it than dislike it.

I thought it was a very good effort, a really enjoyable film that has sadly been panned and ignored.

8/10 (very good - excellent)


And right you are!
Glad you have overcome your "cynism" Pacina!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 9:08 am

O
M
G

Pacino liked something. He really liked something!

:shock:
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Maui on Sat May 17, 2008 11:44 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
I didn't like Spritle and Chim Chim at all, the kid was way too fake for my taste

I thought it was a very good effort, a really enjoyable film that has sadly been panned and ignored.

8/10 (very good - excellent)


Glad you liked it Pacino. See, the monkey and the boy were annoying weren't they? ;)
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 12:14 pm

No, they were NOT. :evil:

OMG - they had Speed Racer Hot Wheels at the store today. The Mach 6, Snake Oiler, Racer X, Rex Racer's car, all of 'em. I'm gonna swoop 'em up tomorrow.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Zarles wrote:No, they were NOT. :evil:

OMG - they had Speed Racer Hot Wheels at the store today. The Mach 6, Snake Oiler, Racer X, Rex Racer's car, all of 'em. I'm gonna swoop 'em up tomorrow.


I need them cars too.....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Postby Maui on Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Zarles wrote:No, they were NOT. :evil:

OMG - they had Speed Racer Hot Wheels at the store today. The Mach 6, Snake Oiler, Racer X, Rex Racer's car, all of 'em. I'm gonna swoop 'em up tomorrow.


I guess you will be waiting with bated breath for the Chim Chim and Sprittle figurines, eh?
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:No, they were NOT. :evil:

OMG - they had Speed Racer Hot Wheels at the store today. The Mach 6, Snake Oiler, Racer X, Rex Racer's car, all of 'em. I'm gonna swoop 'em up tomorrow.


I guess you will be waiting with bated breath for the Chim Chim and Sprittle figurines, eh?


Of course! And then I will insert them into my butt.

I'm such a weirdo! I was standing in the aisle of the grocery store, holding up the Mach 6 and going 'CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK!' under my breath. Whee!
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Zarles wrote:
Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:No, they were NOT. :evil:

OMG - they had Speed Racer Hot Wheels at the store today. The Mach 6, Snake Oiler, Racer X, Rex Racer's car, all of 'em. I'm gonna swoop 'em up tomorrow.


I guess you will be waiting with bated breath for the Chim Chim and Sprittle figurines, eh?


Of course! And then I will insert them into my butt.

I'm such a weirdo! I was standing in the aisle of the grocery store, holding up the Mach 6 and going 'CHOK CHOK CHOK CHOK!' under my breath. Whee!


Okay....

RUN....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
Image
User avatar
travis-dane
100% OLEG!
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 am
Location: DTVille

Postby Maui on Sat May 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Zarles wrote:
Of course! And then I will insert them into my butt.


That's special Zarles!
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Peven on Sat May 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Maui wrote:
Zarles wrote:
Of course! And then I will insert them into my butt.


That's special Zarles!


you can just see his mother beaming with pride
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Tee-hee. Don't ever go to Toys R Us with me. I'm a mess. I think I'm the only adult who's ever been asked to leave that place. :oops:
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Peven on Sat May 17, 2008 12:30 pm

for sticking toys up your butt?
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Nah, that's just in private. Hey, they're supposed to go in the trunk anyway.

As far as TRS, I was there with my 4-year-old niece. 'Nuff said.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Next week when I write my positive review for Indy Zarles will once again be "surprised" that I liked something... seriously dude, do you suffer from memory loss or something? :twisted:

Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:
I didn't like Spritle and Chim Chim at all, the kid was way too fake for my taste

I thought it was a very good effort, a really enjoyable film that has sadly been panned and ignored.

8/10 (very good - excellent)


Glad you liked it Pacino. See, the monkey and the boy were annoying weren't they? ;)


Yeah, mos' def. I admit that the film could've been better, but it really earned the score I gave it... I don't think that I'm just nerd-gasming.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Zarles, if you're ever near a KB Toys in the next few days, they have ALL of their Speed Racer stuff at BUY ONE, GET ONE HALF OFF.

I'm going Tuesday to buy the really nice MACH 5 model car they have for only 14.99!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Next week when I write my positive review for Indy Zarles will once again be "surprised" that I liked something... seriously dude, do you suffer from memory loss or something? :twisted:


Do I know you?

Thanks, robo. I went back and got the Machs 4, 5, and 6, and topped it off with Racer X. I'll check out KB if I can find one...
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:20 pm

I'm going to go see this again tomorrow...


I feel that this movie is going to end up like Serenity, that no one went and saw on the big screen, and will rave about it on video...








Then after that its IRON MAN again with me pops!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby Brocktune on Mon May 19, 2008 3:41 pm

so when my buddies told me that we were going to check out a flick entitled "Seed Taster", i believed that we were happily on our way to see the latest, hottest man on man skin flick as is our usual wont. Well, you can imagine my surprise to find out that i simply misheard, and we were in fact seeing "Speed Racer". Needless to say my budding turgidity instantly receded back into my body cavity from whence it came. So, speed racer eh? i totally used to mark out for this show back in teh day, so Dumbledore porn be damned, lets see us some speed racer! Now, i suppose there is no need for me to bore everyone with too much of my effusively gushing positive feedback for this flick. I did love it, I thought it was fantastic, and I am so glad i still know people that i can acquire the magical mushrooms from. This flick is definitely gonna replace "Fantasia" on those nights when its just me and a handful of psilocybin. there is one thing though that i feel really needs talking about where Speed Racer is concerned, and that is how the wachowski bros. (or is it brother and sister now?) managed to clone television's own Al "Grampa" Lewis, and cast him as Spridle. I mean holee fuck, spridle looks more like grampa than pops racer looks like super mario, and it wasnt until we left the theater that i realized "hey, that wasnt super mario!". big ups to the wachowskis and to modern genetic research for preventing this treasure of televisions golden age from being lost to the pages of memory! sniff :cry:
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby inevitability on Mon May 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi!

I am from Colombia, I´m 25. My girlfriend is 25 too. I just wanted
to say that we saw this yesterday and it was great!! My girlfriend
loved it!! And me too!! It was so much fun!! It was crazy!! It was
fast and it was... No words, just great!! She was happy to see such
a cool movie, and she was happy with the story and how Speed wouldnt
sell out, etc. I was happy too!! It was visually wonderful!! The
story it's great!! It was just really really fun!! I dont lie to you
when I tell you we walked out of that teather talking about the
movie and singing "Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer,
Go!!!" haha, we where both laughing and at the same time just
amazed by how cool the movie was in our opinion.

:)

All that just makes me feel the more sad to see that at the boxoffice
isnt doing good at all, its a shame because its such a great movie.

Oh well.
inevitability
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 1:55 am
Location: BEYOND

Postby Brocktune on Mon May 19, 2008 5:31 pm

alas, there has rarely been any record of any real taste with the american populace.
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 19, 2008 5:34 pm

Brocktune wrote:so when my buddies told me that we were going to check out a flick entitled "Seed Taster", i believed that we were happily on our way to see the latest, hottest man on man skin flick as is our usual wont. Well, you can imagine my surprise to find out that i simply misheard, and we were in fact seeing "Speed Racer". Needless to say my budding turgidity instantly receded back into my body cavity from whence it came. So, speed racer eh? i totally used to mark out for this show back in teh day, so Dumbledore porn be damned, lets see us some speed racer! Now, i suppose there is no need for me to bore everyone with too much of my effusively gushing positive feedback for this flick. I did love it, I thought it was fantastic, and I am so glad i still know people that i can acquire the magical mushrooms from. This flick is definitely gonna replace "Fantasia" on those nights when its just me and a handful of psilocybin. there is one thing though that i feel really needs talking about where Speed Racer is concerned, and that is how the wachowski bros. (or is it brother and sister now?) managed to clone television's own Al "Grampa" Lewis, and cast him as Spridle. I mean holee fuck, spridle looks more like grampa than pops racer looks like super mario, and it wasnt until we left the theater that i realized "hey, that wasnt super mario!". big ups to the wachowskis and to modern genetic research for preventing this treasure of televisions golden age from being lost to the pages of memory! sniff :cry:


hahahahaha, brilliant. I'm going to see it for sure now just for this review.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon May 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Ricci was under-used.
I wasn't a huge fan of the kid, some of his scenes with the monkey felt a little Charlie & the Chocolate Factory-sih at times.
The constant "oh i remember" cut aways ruined the opening scene for me.

But other than that, it was alright.
Enjoyable.
Not fantastic or mind blowing, but definitely worth watching.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Postby Brocktune on Mon May 19, 2008 5:40 pm

hahaha! you wont regret it!
Image
User avatar
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6490
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: Pico & Sepulveda

Postby Zarles on Mon May 19, 2008 6:01 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:hahahahaha, brilliant. I'm going to see it for sure now just for this review.


:evil:

You mean I stuck all those toys up my butt for nothing!?

GRRRRRR
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Peven on Mon May 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Zarles wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:hahahahaha, brilliant. I'm going to see it for sure now just for this review.


:evil:

You mean I stuck all those toys up my butt for nothing!?

GRRRRRR


well, i am sure you probably knocked some crud loose in the process, like an extreme enema
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby Zarles on Mon May 19, 2008 6:12 pm

I found my keys! :D
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby bastard_robo on Wed May 21, 2008 3:19 am

Today was grand...

I got paid, went to KB Toys, bought the 1/44 die cast MACH 5 and got a new Indy hat...


I then went to the theater to meet up with some friends to catch a screening of DEATH NOTE..

While I already OWN Death Note, its playing on the big screen so I said, FUCK IT, it'll be fun.

3 minutes into the movie, I find that its DUBBED, and VIZ the company that released it also dose the ANIME too, and used the ANIME voices to dub over the actors...

And it was GOD AWFUL!

So, for the first time ever.. I got up and walked out of the movie no more than 5 minutes into the movie (though I wouldnt really count it as I've seen the movie already)

My buddy and I exchanged out tickets and guess what we saw..


FUCKING SPEED RACER AGAIN BABY!~


It started perfectly on time to our walk out of DEATH NOTE and it was the second viewing for my buddy who liked it even more this time around!



I did notice something on this viewing.. Speed gets cock blocked at every turn in this film...


I think that this is going to be this years TRANSFORMERS for me..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Re: The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 21, 2008 4:59 am

bastard_robo wrote:I think that this is going to be this years TRANSFORMERS for me..


Except Speed Racer doesn't suck... and hasn't made money.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed May 21, 2008 5:06 am

So does this movie have cult film following tagged all over it or what?

I saw it last week and thought it was such a fun movie. Pure escapism and a quick way to kill a couple of hours with some sour gummi bears and a blue raspberry slushie.

I even thought I was going to be really annoyed by Sprattle and Chim-Chim but was surprised at how many scenes I laughed at with him in them.

It did make me kind of want to watch the old Speed Racer anime after seeing it.

Can't wait for the Blu-Ray version. ^^
User avatar
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Random tree

Re: The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby Spifftacular SquirrelGirl on Wed May 21, 2008 5:06 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:I think that this is going to be this years TRANSFORMERS for me..


Except Speed Racer doesn't suck... and hasn't made money.


LOL

Sad but true.
User avatar
Spifftacular SquirrelGirl
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Random tree

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 21, 2008 5:17 am

I saw the first 7 minutes online and I don't know how the rest of the film compares, but it looked really cute. It's probably not a great reflection on kids today, but the bad student, ADD-addled young Speed made me laugh with his racing noises and his little flipbook of cars crashing. Plus there seemed to be a pretty healthy balance of animation and live action on the screen; for the first time I felt like I really got what the Wachowskis were going for aesthetically.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13945
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Postby max314 on Thu May 29, 2008 6:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:I saw the first 7 minutes online and I don't know how the rest of the film compares, but it looked really cute. It's probably not a great reflection on kids today, but the bad student, ADD-addled young Speed made me laugh with his racing noises and his little flipbook of cars crashing. Plus there seemed to be a pretty healthy balance of animation and live action on the screen; for the first time I felt like I really got what the Wachowskis were going for aesthetically.


You know how we watch those pre-90s movies with really obvious miniatures and puppets and dodgy composite shots?

And you know how we just...y'know...ignored it. And just went with the flow?

That's how people have gotta treat CGI. Just forget that it's there and allow yourself to be sucked in. If you do, Speed Racer is a really rewarding experience.

Go! :D
Weapon of MAX Destruction
User avatar
max314
MONKEY BUTLER
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 am

I really enjoyed this movie. Solid and entertaining with tons of replay value. Not the avante-garde masterpiece people have tried to make it out to be.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

The Official "SPEED RACER" Thread (Spoilers)

Postby bastard_robo on Fri May 30, 2008 12:11 am

max314 wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I saw the first 7 minutes online and I don't know how the rest of the film compares, but it looked really cute. It's probably not a great reflection on kids today, but the bad student, ADD-addled young Speed made me laugh with his racing noises and his little flipbook of cars crashing. Plus there seemed to be a pretty healthy balance of animation and live action on the screen; for the first time I felt like I really got what the Wachowskis were going for aesthetically.


You know how we watch those pre-90s movies with really obvious miniatures and puppets and dodgy composite shots?

And you know how we just...y'know...ignored it. And just went with the flow?

That's how people have gotta treat CGI. Just forget that it's there and allow yourself to be sucked in. If you do, Speed Racer is a really rewarding experience.

Go! :D


GODDAMN IT THANK YOU! YOU NAILED CG ON THE FUCKING HEAD.. seriously, Im giving you an A and a fucking cookie...


Really!!

Im sick of people bitching about "HOW BAD" the cgi looks in these mega movies.

FUCKING WATCH SOMETHING ON THE SCI FI CHANNEL TO SEE BAD CGI.

The last bad CGI I saw for a theatrical film was the Tyrannosaurus from A SOUND OF THUNDER.. and I think thats just because they ran out of cash for the film.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

Image
User avatar
bastard_robo
SCANK BARON
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:59 am
Location: Hello Kitty Adventure Island

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 pm

Brocktune wrote:alas, there has rarely been any record of any real taste with the american populace.


Amen to that. Although WB are really being a-holes about it, refusing to take Joel Silver's calls now.

Again, WB, you gleefully rag on something that everyone can enjoy (Although there's a number of reasons they couldn't have gone to the theater), yet you hype up a film about middle aged women who have sex shamelessly which appeals to future cougars and ghey men, and that makes a shitload of money probably because of the exorbitant ticket prices in major cities.

Who the hell is in charge of this studio again? Sorry, but if I want to see a female-centered film from them, it would be something like "Wonder Woman", which they keep putting off.
Image
User avatar
LaDracul
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Gothamized Chicago

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:13 pm

LaDracul wrote:Again, WB, you gleefully rag on something that everyone can enjoy (Although there's a number of reasons they couldn't have gone to the theater), yet you hype up a film about middle aged women who have sex shamelessly which appeals to future cougars and ghey men, and that makes a shitload of money probably because of the exorbitant ticket prices in major cities.

Who the hell is in charge of this studio again? Sorry, but if I want to see a female-centered film from them, it would be something like "Wonder Woman", which they keep putting off.


I believe Jeff Robinov is the man in charge of production who vowed the studio would never make movies with female leads. I'm not saying the Sex and the City movie is some masterpiece. I'm not even saying it's good (it's not), but there is some value in a woman-centric movie opening at 70 million against heavy-hitting competitors like Indy. Even if it is a movie where women *gasp* have sex. Nothing shameful about that.

What's a little more interesting is the way you're shamelessly trolling around every thread I read making the same complaints over and over again about a subject that really belongs here.

Please move your gleeful rag accordingly.
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Postby Zarles on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:29 pm

You know what this thread needs in it? A monkey.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:32 pm

Zarles wrote:You know what this thread needs in it? A monkey.


a live-action monkey
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:36 pm

The more I think about the disappointing returns of this movie, the more I am pissed off. It was marketed so badly. Where was the Speed Racer marathons on Cartoon Network. Why on earth did the trailers try to leverage the creators of the Matrix as a pull for the family? Why didn't the trailers emphasize the brilliant action instead of minute outlandish clips that make no sense in context. This is one of the greatest family movies since Incredibles, and it dies on the vine. I am infuriated.

The Wachowski's have now proven to me their brilliance... enough to get me over the crappy Matrix sequels... AND THAT SAYS SOMETHING. Because I am all cool and stuff and people look for my opinion on things because I am cool and shit...


but not as cool as Bluebottle.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Postby Zarles on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Peven wrote:
Zarles wrote:You know what this thread needs in it? A monkey.


a live-action monkey


Or an undead monkey! :D

Totally agree on the poor BO performance. This has been my favorite summer movie so far, and it's the one that has made the least amount of money. My niece wants to see this movie, but only because I've been teaching her the song and buying her the Hot Wheels. Where's my marketing job, Warner Brothers?
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 am

burlivesleftnut wrote: Because I am all cool and stuff and people look for my opinion on things because I am cool and shit...


but not as cool as Bluebottle.


yeah, but who is?
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 am

Zarles wrote:
Peven wrote:
Zarles wrote:You know what this thread needs in it? A monkey.


a live-action monkey


Or an undead monkey! :D

This has been my favorite summer movie so far, and it's the one that has made the least amount of money.


i'm with you here. favorite movie i have seen yet in '08.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14670
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Postby Zarles on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:37 am

It's certainly been the most imaginative. I like seeing sequels like Indy and Pirates and the like to re-visit characters I enjoy, but when something like this comes along and brings something entirely new to the table, it's even more exciting. I'm pissed that there probably won't be any more of them.
User avatar
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Bringing something to the table

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:48 am

Zarles wrote:It's certainly been the most imaginative. I like seeing sequels like Indy and Pirates and the like to re-visit characters I enjoy, but when something like this comes along and brings something entirely new to the table, it's even more exciting. I'm pissed that there probably won't be any more of them.


Entirely new? This a remake of a cartoon from the 50's. It's only fresh because it isn't over saturated like that other stuff you mentioned.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron