Indiana Jones & The Entirely Satisfactory Conclusion!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Which is the greatest Indy sequel/prequel...so far

TOD
31
46%
Last Crusade
36
54%
 
Total votes : 67

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:20 pm

Maui wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
That's character my dear, may be a bit too highbrow for you judging on your other comments though...


Hey, quit being such an ass wipe. I don't insult your intelligence, so you shouldn't mine.


Aren't you the one who hoped your comment annoyed me?

Heat, kitchen, stay out, all that. :twisted:
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Maui wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Maui, you're gonna make AH cry...


Good. :twisted:


^ Aha.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:22 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Doesn't Marcus himself at one point in Raiders say -

Five years ago I would have gone after the Ark myself.


Essentially throwing the argument that he's not capable in TLC out of the window?

TLC'ers arguing that point are now pwn3d, I believe.

Based on what? Nothing shows he would have been capable of doing so only that he believes he would have been or more correctly delusionally believes he would have been.


According to what?

Give up, Kaga, you're reaching. Proof is there. Character changed for sake of comic relief as shown. Goodnight.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Maui on Sun May 18, 2008 5:22 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Maui wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Maui, you're gonna make AH cry...


Good. :twisted:


^ Aha.


la dee da la dee da
Last edited by Maui on Sun May 18, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:23 pm

papalazeru wrote:Just watching Indy 3 on TV right now.

It really is a Fezt (geddit??!!?)

It's still brilliant. I can't see what all the fuss is about, this is by far the finer film.

We get to see Indy's comittment to Archeology from an early age which blows ToD out of the water with regards to comments here about him being a 'rogue' and some sort of mercenary.

Marcus is in no way bumbling. All the scenes at the university make him out ot be a wise and learned man. We get to see Marcus becoming unnerved just before the plane trip to Italy - he obviously is not happy with field work, that's made clear.


I suggest you watch TOD again, because quite clearly... you weren't even paying attention because you were too busy wanking over pictures of Sean Connery.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 18, 2008 5:24 pm

You know what...I can't wait for King Solomons mines to be on TV.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Maui wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Maui wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:Maui, you're gonna make AH cry...


Good. :twisted:


^ Aha.


That's different. I didn't make any snide remarks insulting your intelligence.

Anyways, not gonna waste anymore time/bandwith on this.


You wanted to make me cry? Grow a pair! At least TRY to make me cry. This isn't working.

Watching TLC made me cry, though. Such a waste of talent and money.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:25 pm

papalazeru wrote:You know what...I can't wait for King Solomons mines to be on TV.


Heheh... same here.

List of people who get this thread -

Papalazeru
Fried gold
Minstrel
Atomichyperbole
Chariman Kaga
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 5:26 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Doesn't Marcus himself at one point in Raiders say -

Five years ago I would have gone after the Ark myself.


Essentially throwing the argument that he's not capable in TLC out of the window?

TLC'ers arguing that point are now pwn3d, I believe.

Based on what? Nothing shows he would have been capable of doing so only that he believes he would have been or more correctly delusionally believes he would have been.


According to what?

Give up, Kaga, you're reaching. Proof is there. Character changed for sake of comic relief as shown. Goodnight.


What proof?
Are you that ignorant AH that anything any character says at any point in any of the films is 100% fact?

I'm sorry your feelings are still hurt because you were suckered in by Indy's description of Brody to Elsa et al but please don't let that skew logic. I see you there in the theater pitching a fit because your childhood hero was depicted as awkward in the field. Let it go.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Chairma n Kaga wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Doesn't Marcus himself at one point in Raiders say -

Five years ago I would have gone after the Ark myself.


Essentially throwing the argument that he's not capable in TLC out of the window?

TLC'ers arguing that point are now pwn3d, I believe.

Based on what? Nothing shows he would have been capable of doing so only that he believes he would have been or more correctly delusionally believes he would have been.


According to what?

Give up, Kaga, you're reaching. Proof is there. Character changed for sake of comic relief as shown. Goodnight.


What proof?
Are you that ignorant AH that anything any character says at any point in any of the films is 100% fact?

I'm sorry your feelings are still hurt because you were suckered in by Indy's description of Brody to Elsa et al but please don't let that skew logic. I see you there in the theater pitching a fit because your childhood hero was depicted as awkward in the field. Let it go.


OK, it's all lies then.

...

...

Your argument is spiralling into total obscurity, based on the fact that we shouldn't believe anything any of the characters pre-TLC say and do. Nice try, though.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 5:40 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Chairma n Kaga wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Doesn't Marcus himself at one point in Raiders say -

Five years ago I would have gone after the Ark myself.


Essentially throwing the argument that he's not capable in TLC out of the window?

TLC'ers arguing that point are now pwn3d, I believe.

Based on what? Nothing shows he would have been capable of doing so only that he believes he would have been or more correctly delusionally believes he would have been.


According to what?

Give up, Kaga, you're reaching. Proof is there. Character changed for sake of comic relief as shown. Goodnight.


What proof?
Are you that ignorant AH that anything any character says at any point in any of the films is 100% fact?

I'm sorry your feelings are still hurt because you were suckered in by Indy's description of Brody to Elsa et al but please don't let that skew logic. I see you there in the theater pitching a fit because your childhood hero was depicted as awkward in the field. Let it go.


OK, it's all lies then.

...

...

Your argument is spiralling into total obscurity, based on the fact that we shouldn't believe anything any of the characters pre-TLC say and do. Nice try, though.


Wow you are so astute. :roll:
So everything is either all lies or all truth in the films, right AH? There is obviously no combination of the two at any point in the series.
I mean it wasn't like...

Marion lied to Indy about having the staff head.

Indy lied to Marion about why he wanted it.

The FBI lied to Indy about what happened to the Ark.

Lao Che lied to Indy about paying him for his services.

The Maharaja lied about the Thugee cult.

"Fedora" lied to the sheriff about how Indy stole the Coronado Cross.

Ilsa lied about who she was and what happened to Indy's father.

Donovan lied about his their goal in obtaining the cross.


You're right AH none of that sort of deceit ever occurred in the films so obviously there's no way that a bureaucrat, bookworm like Brody would ever bullshit away his cowardice about not going with Indy by stating he was just (luckily) too old to participate but gee-whiz he sure wished he could. :roll:
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:42 pm

I'll let you work off assumptions.

I'll watch the films.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 5:44 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I'll let you work off assumptions.

I'll watch the films.

You mean the films which depict Brody doing nothing but strolling around, forgetting to eat food in his hands, not blending in to a market bazaar, and fretting like an old woman over Indy?


Who is the one here making assumptions AH when you want to dictate things about the character that aren't there?

AH: Marcus Brody, swashbuckling adventure, saves Indiana Jones again from his own incompetence!!! He would totally be out there chicken dancing around the Ark with you Indy but doggone he's just too old.

You've turned Brody into this series' Boba Fett. A character that did nothing to justify a fanbase belief that he was "awesome" who is later shown to be a complete joke.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 18, 2008 5:46 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
It's all a matter of taste and humour, and you've proved you have none because you can't respect the comedic timing of both those characters.

But never mind, you've got the shitfest of TLC to comfort you! Nothing like a bland, unexciting characterless mess to ease away thoughts of actual excitement.


You can't contest taste and humor with me, dude. I am both hilarious and a snappy dresser. I just need a little more than a shrieking harpee and a bad Chinese stereotype to make me laugh.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Watched The Last Crusade tonight, and it completely blows Temple of Doom out of the water...with a tank, a boat and some kind of holy water catapulting device.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
papalazeru wrote:You know what...I can't wait for King Solomons mines to be on TV.


Heheh... same here.

List of people who get this thread -

Papalazeru
Fried gold
Minstrel
Atomichyperbole
Chariman Kaga

Touches nose.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun May 18, 2008 6:01 pm

bah. i was so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some ramen noodles in the middle of it....
User avatar
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH
 
Posts: 7200
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun May 18, 2008 6:01 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i was so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some ramen noodles in the middle of it....


Then she phoned me and tried to get me to admit ToD is better!! :evil:
Image
User avatar
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 18, 2008 6:05 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i didn't understand the plot of TLC that i got up and ate some american cheese in the middle of it....

Fixed.

Next time try watching King Solomon's Mines, The Land That Time Forgot or The Librarian: Quest for the Spear.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i didn't understand the plot of TLC that i got up and ate some american cheese in the middle of it....

Fixed.

Next time try watching King Solomon's Mines, The Land That Time Forgot or The Librarian: Quest for the Spear.

What about the other The Librarian?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7660
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i didn't understand the plot of TLC that i got up and ate some american cheese in the middle of it....

Fixed.

Next time try watching King Solomon's Mines, The Land That Time Forgot or The Librarian: Quest for the Spear.

What about the other The Librarian?

Return to King Solomon's Mines sucks. Quest for the Spear is clearly the better film...
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby darkjedijaina on Sun May 18, 2008 6:51 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i got so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some chilled monkey brains in the middle of it....and i think i might just make you all drink the blood of Kali Ma later....
User avatar
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH
 
Posts: 7200
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:41 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Watched The Last Crusade tonight, and it completely blows Temple of Doom out of the water...with a tank, a boat and some kind of holy water catapulting device.


Weak.

Give me burning hearts, flaming death, crushed Pat Roach, mine cart chases and a rousing colonial rescue anyday.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
AtomicHyperb ole wrote:
It's all a matter of taste and humour, and you've proved you have none because you can't respect the comedic timing of both those characters.

But never mind, you've got the shitfest of TLC to comfort you! Nothing like a bland, unexciting characterless mess to ease away thoughts of actual excitement.


You can't contest taste and humor with me, dude. I am both hilarious and a snappy dresser. I just need a little more than a shrieking harpee and a bad Chinese stereotype to make me laugh.


Never go to Hong Kong.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:I'll let you work off assumptions.

I'll watch the films.

You mean the films which depict Brody doing nothing but strolling around, forgetting to eat food in his hands, not blending in to a market bazaar, and fretting like an old woman over Indy?


Who is the one here making assumptions AH when you want to dictate things about the character that aren't there?

AH: Marcus Brody, swashbuckling adventure, saves Indiana Jones again from his own incompetence!!! He would totally be out there chicken dancing around the Ark with you Indy but doggone he's just too old.

You've turned Brody into this series' Boba Fett. A character that did nothing to justify a fanbase belief that he was "awesome" who is later shown to be a complete joke.


I'm not to blame for TLC's sloppy writing and sudden turnabout based on forgetting to eat an apple. Lucas and Spielberg are. Damn them to Kali.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 18, 2008 6:55 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i got so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some chilled monkey brains in the middle of it....and i think i might just make you all drink the blood of Kali Ma later....

One assumes it was as pointless an exercise as the scene in the film.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 6:56 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i got so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some chilled monkey brains in the middle of it....and i think i might just make you all drink the blood of Kali Ma later....

One assumes it was as pointless an exercise as the scene in the film.


Could be worse, they could spend the entire film chasing after a worthless trinket.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Maui on Sun May 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Actually, I've changed my mind. Elsa is worse than Willie.

Adolf Hitler giving Indy his autograph. :roll:
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby The Vicar on Sun May 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Maui wrote:Actually, I've changed my mind. Elsa is worse than Willie.


Elsa did indeed suck - zero personality and zero reason for anyone to care what happened to her. Nazi cow.
Wille was just plain a waste of screen time.

Its a tossup!!
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:02 pm

Well done, you've all seen sense. Elsa is weeak. Even if I actually liked TLC, I'd hate her because she sucks on all levels and is totally redundant as a character.

Anyway, back to...

It's pretty obvious just by watching Marcus that he's a more intelligent, straight, mentally capable person in Raiders than he is in Crusade. Just the 'aura' he omits in just his presence alone even. Even if he IS out of his element in Crusade, he still would be acting a lot more intelligently or showing more of a 'coping' character or effort, a straight guy who is a fish out of water, but still putting in a more respectable effort and show of strength - not looking like a bumbling comic book unaware idiot that he is in Crusade. He's just reduced to this role for laughs, admit it.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 18, 2008 7:05 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Could be worse, they could spend the entire film chasing after a worthless trinket.


About as worthless as the trinket Indy's looking for in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Who cares about Raiders though, right? If it has a lame artifact it must be as crappy as Last Crusade. It is best to focus on actual things that affect the movies value instead of irrelevant minutia.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:08 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i got so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some chilled monkey brains in the middle of it....and i think i might just make you all drink the blood of Kali Ma later....

One assumes it was as pointless an exercise as the scene in the film.


Could be worse, they could spend the entire film chasing after a worthless trinket.


About as worthless as the trinket Indy's looking for in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Who cares about Raiders though, right? If it has a lame artifact it must be as crappy as Last Crusade. It is best to focus on actual things that affect the movies value instead of irrelevant minutia.


HOW is the Ark worthless? It can decimate an entire army with Gods power! Jesus, that's DANGEROUS! It's worth shitloads more than a crappy cup that can only move and deliver immortality by a few meters and an old man who's sitting in a cave.

What a terrible argument you've just given, you totally devalued the movie you're defending by even comparing the two! HA!
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:10 pm

Appendum - both TOD and TLC come off worse compared to Raiders. You'd have to be mental to think otherwise, seeing as TOD is totally different and TLC rips it off to such extremes that it even has a shitty evil man animated death that doesn't compare in the slightest to melty faces.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 18, 2008 7:20 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
HOW is the Ark worthless? It can decimate an entire army with Gods power! Jesus, that's DANGEROUS! It's worth shitloads more than a crappy cup that can only move and deliver immortality by a few meters and an old man who's sitting in a cave.

What a terrible argument you've just given, you totally devalued the movie you're defending by even comparing the two! HA!


Historical and monetary value aside, The holy grail can cure the sick, heal mortal wounds and I don't think its power is only relegated to the cave it sits in or else it wouldn't really need a billion year old Knight to guard it. It is also a great plot device as is proven in Monty Python and The... wait for it... HOLY GRAIL. Of course if you hold more value in destruction than life, I can see your point.

You totally missed my point as well. My point is that whatever it is that Indy is chasing doesn't really effect the movie as long as that object is also sought after by a group of wiley villains. Indy could be chasing James Dean's car and as long as some hooligans are trying to get to it first, Stephen Spielberg could make it interesting. The factor that I choose the superior movie upon is mainly in acting and dialogue, as the action and cinematography of both films is too close to call.
Last edited by Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 18, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby The Vicar on Sun May 18, 2008 7:21 pm

It's the quest, not the object in question.
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 18, 2008 7:25 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Appendum - both TOD and TLC come off worse compared to Raiders. You'd have to be mental to think otherwise, seeing as TOD is totally different and TLC rips it off to such extremes that it even has a shitty evil man animated death that doesn't compare in the slightest to melty faces.


Ah! The death rattle of a lesser spotted tit!

You just can't accept FACT!

TLC is a much finer crafted film. Thoroughly entertaining and flies like the wind from the get go.

I don't know how you can enjoy ToD intro more. In the first 10 minutes of TLC, I'm given a much fuller, better understanding of Indy. Where his phobias and little talents come from, what makes him a person and his desires.

You get none of that in ToD, except he wants a diamond, he fudges it, he gets stuck in India and the only way for him to get out of working in a field the rest of his life with a whingey old Harridan and a boy who, let's fact it, is probably used to that sort of work, is to rescue the village children; something which I'm sure he enjoyed given the glint in his eye and the looks he gives Short Round.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
AtomicHyperb ole wrote:
HOW is the Ark worthless? It can decimate an entire army with Gods power! Jesus, that's DANGEROUS! It's worth shitloads more than a crappy cup that can only move and deliver immortality by a few meters and an old man who's sitting in a cave.

What a terrible argument you've just given, you totally devalued the movie you're defending by even comparing the two! HA!


Historical and monetary value aside, The holy grail can cure the sick, heal mortal wounds and I don't think its power is only relegated to the cave it sits in or else it wouldn't really need a billion year old Knight to guard it. It is also a great plot device as is proven in Monty Python and The... wait for it... HOLY GRAIL. Of course if you hold more value in destruction than life, I can see your point.


The point isn't whether or not you hold value in something, but what it's capable of beyond the positive and negative. The Ark is a potential Nazi weapon of great destructive power, rendering them invincible were it not for their arrogance before God, which makes Indy's quest all the more urgent.

The Grail ends up being revealed as nothing but a mere trinket in comparasion. It may be able to grant eternal life and cure mortal wounds, but only within a small sphere of influence. Carry it away, it's useless - this is proved when Elsa steps over the seal. Indy's father doesn't become immortal from drinking it, either. It's purely a symbol, granted a powerful one, but compared to The Ark, a symbol nonetheless.

Of course, you totally missed my point. My point is that whatever it is that Indy is chasing doesn't really effect the movie as long as that object is also sought after by a group of wiley villains. Indy could be chasing James Dean's car and as long as some hooligans are trying to get to it first, Stephen Spielberg could make it interesting. The factor that I choose the superior movie upon is mainly in acting and dialogue, as the action and cinematography of both films is too close to call.


The villains in TLC are laughable at best, horrendously flawed, conflicted - in the case of Walter Donovan, barely present. Hitler is a joke, going to Germany doesn't place Indy in any particular grave danger. If you want to talk villainy, see Mola Ram, outside of the blonde German in Raiders the only bad guy to actually place Indy in mortal danger.

If you feel the action is too close to call, I feel for you pal, I really do. That tank scene is horrendously sluggish, it's like watching Speed 3, only Speed 3 lifts everything off Speed 2. And the dialogue? Please. At least Willie can deliver her lines, Elsa couldn't read off a teleprompter.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:30 pm

The Vicar wrote:It's the quest, not the object in question.


The only quest, given the impotence of the so-called villains in TLC, is Indy finally gaining his fathers attention. That's it, nothing more.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Maui on Sun May 18, 2008 7:32 pm

I hate to say this, cuz that would mean I'm agreeing with AH, however TLC moved slower for me than TOD.

I just finished watching TLC and as Nordling said in an earlier post, it really has an action packed 45 minutes at the end that TLC just doesn't have.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7609
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:33 pm

papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:Appendum - both TOD and TLC come off worse compared to Raiders. You'd have to be mental to think otherwise, seeing as TOD is totally different and TLC rips it off to such extremes that it even has a shitty evil man animated death that doesn't compare in the slightest to melty faces.


Ah! The death rattle of a lesser spotted tit!

You just can't accept FACT!

TLC is a much finer crafted film. Thoroughly entertaining and flies like the wind from the get go.


Finer crafted? Did you WATCH the library sequence? The production design there and general idea of it is all over the place. Again, look at the mark on the floor.

I don't know how you can enjoy ToD intro more. In the first 10 minutes of TLC, I'm given a much fuller, better understanding of Indy. Where his phobias and little talents come from, what makes him a person and his desires.


Better undertanding of Indy? How? What you learn is that his father ignores him and he gains a hat whilst a studly boy wheezes in your ear before being completely forgotten. Oh joy. That's really memorable, particularly with all those fake animals.

Papa, again, stretching stretching streeeetching.

edit - in fact, why do you NEED to know where this comes from? You know what his character is. He hates snakes. That's it... er, so obviously he had a bad experience with a snake once. You like the magic of a character spelled out for you? Is Raiders weaker because you don't "understand where he's coming from"? Fuck no! It's the best of the series! And it DOESN'T NEED TO SPELL ANYTHING OUT! So your jizzing over Indy as a boy and "character development" goes out the window. If you have any sense, you'd also recognise the character development in TOD as well rather than dismiss it, if that's what you're into. But no, you're too busy arguing the toss... and toss is what you're arguing.

You get none of that in ToD, except he wants a diamond, he fudges it, he gets stuck in India and the only way for him to get out of working in a field the rest of his life with a whingey old Harridan and a boy who, let's fact it, is probably used to that sort of work, is to rescue the village children; something which I'm sure he enjoyed given the glint in his eye and the looks he gives Short Round.


I'll let your incoherence speak for itself.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 18, 2008 7:38 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
The Vicar wrote:It's the quest, not the object in question.


The only quest, given the impotence of the so-called villains in TLC, is Indy finally gaining his fathers attention. That's it, nothing more.


The impotence of a villain who controls a whole German Army, who manages to gain control of tanks and vehicles to negotiate the desert, who SHOOTS Indy's father to force Indy's hand into getting the treasure himself.

That's not an impotent villain in my book.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:39 pm

papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
The Vicar wrote:It's the quest, not the object in question.


The only quest, given the impotence of the so-called villains in TLC, is Indy finally gaining his fathers attention. That's it, nothing more.


The impotence of a villain who controls a whole German Army, who manages to gain control of tanks and vehicles to negotiate the desert, who SHOOTS Indy's father to force Indy's hand into getting the treasure himself.

That's not an impotent villain in my book.


And still fails.

HA.

All he needs now is Danny DeVito and some crocodiles.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 18, 2008 7:40 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i got so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some chilled monkey brains in the middle of it....and i think i might just make you all drink the blood of Kali Ma later....

One assumes it was as pointless an exercise as the scene in the film.


Could be worse, they could spend the entire film chasing after a worthless trinket.

Yeah, the sankara stones are pretty worthless.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:42 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i got so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some chilled monkey brains in the middle of it....and i think i might just make you all drink the blood of Kali Ma later....

One assumes it was as pointless an exercise as the scene in the film.


Could be worse, they could spend the entire film chasing after a worthless trinket.

Yeah, the sankara stones are pretty worthless.


All five grant you ultimate power. Yup, worthless.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 18, 2008 7:43 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:
darkjedijaina wrote:bah. i got so bored with TLC that i got up and fixed some chilled monkey brains in the middle of it....and i think i might just make you all drink the blood of Kali Ma later....

One assumes it was as pointless an exercise as the scene in the film.


Could be worse, they could spend the entire film chasing after a worthless trinket.

Yeah, the sankara stones are pretty worthless.


All five grant you ultimate power. Yup, worthless.

At least we're finally agreeing.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 18, 2008 7:44 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
The Vicar wrote:It's the quest, not the object in question.


The only quest, given the impotence of the so-called villains in TLC, is Indy finally gaining his fathers attention. That's it, nothing more.


The impotence of a villain who controls a whole German Army, who manages to gain control of tanks and vehicles to negotiate the desert, who SHOOTS Indy's father to force Indy's hand into getting the treasure himself.

That's not an impotent villain in my book.


And still fails.

HA.

All he needs now is Danny DeVito and some crocodiles.



See now. If you want a realistic relationship, then definately Romancing the Stone is the way to go. I actually felt that Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas had that connection, plus it was funny.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 18, 2008 7:45 pm

Atomic, the actual merits of each film isn't going to be decided on how many post you can make with volatile and insulting remarks, but on that snazzy little poll sitting on the top of this page. Maybe you might want to focus your posts into illuminating the positive qualities of Temple of Doom instead of trying to tell people that they're personal individual opinions are wrong, because right now The Last Crusade has shoved the Holy Grail all the way up The Temple of Doom's ass.
Image
User avatar
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood
 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:28 am

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:48 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Atomic, the actual merits of each film isn't going to be decided on how many post you can make with volatile and insulting remarks, but on that snazzy little poll sitting on the top of this page. Maybe you might want to focus your posts into illuminating the positive qualities of Temple of Doom instead of trying to tell people that they're personal individual opinions are wrong, because right now The Last Crusade has shoved the Holy Grail all the way up The Temple of Doom's ass.


Lots of people can like an average film, otherwise shit like Transformer's wouldn't be popular. Popular means better? I think not.

I've already banged on about TOD's strong points earlier. Mebbe I'm currently the lone, vocal voice in the case of the defence... but I'm standing ground against ignorance here. Someone has to, for the sake of your wiltering tastes.
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
AtomicHyperb ole wrote:
HOW is the Ark worthless? It can decimate an entire army with Gods power! Jesus, that's DANGEROUS! It's worth shitloads more than a crappy cup that can only move and deliver immortality by a few meters and an old man who's sitting in a cave.

What a terrible argument you've just given, you totally devalued the movie you're defending by even comparing the two! HA!


Historical and monetary value aside, The holy grail can cure the sick, heal mortal wounds and I don't think its power is only relegated to the cave it sits in or else it wouldn't really need a billion year old Knight to guard it. It is also a great plot device as is proven in Monty Python and The... wait for it... HOLY GRAIL. Of course if you hold more value in destruction than life, I can see your point.

You totally missed my point as well. My point is that whatever it is that Indy is chasing doesn't really effect the movie as long as that object is also sought after by a group of wiley villains. Indy could be chasing James Dean's car and as long as some hooligans are trying to get to it first, Stephen Spielberg could make it interesting. The factor that I choose the superior movie upon is mainly in acting and dialogue, as the action and cinematography of both films is too close to call.



I agree, but I made the point that after Daddy Jones was rescued, Indy and he could have simply went home and it wouldn't have mattered. The cup would still be safe. They didn't NEED to go after it. They did so under the false belief that the cup was in danger, but it never was.

In Raiders, the Ark weilded real power and eventually the Nazis would have found it, so there was a need to get there first.

What kind of adventure is based upon false assumptions that the world is in danger? The lame kind.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 7:51 pm

papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:
The Vicar wrote:It's the quest, not the object in question.


The only quest, given the impotence of the so-called villains in TLC, is Indy finally gaining his fathers attention. That's it, nothing more.


The impotence of a villain who controls a whole German Army, who manages to gain control of tanks and vehicles to negotiate the desert, who SHOOTS Indy's father to force Indy's hand into getting the treasure himself.

That's not an impotent villain in my book.


And still fails.

HA.

All he needs now is Danny DeVito and some crocodiles.



See now. If you want a realistic relationship, then definately Romancing the Stone is the way to go. I actually felt that Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas had that connection, plus it was funny.


I guess...

I mean, for all her intentionally whiney excess, Indy and Willie had some chemistry, but it's not on a par with Jack and Joan. That dance scene where they finally come together is brilliant and has more heart than Indy shows in either sequel - it's two adults finding themselves. It's equal to Raiders in that way. TLC didn't have that emotional core because it concentrated that on Indy Snr. and Jnr's relationship, meaning Elsa felt forced in.

Devito was pretty cool in it too. Certainly provided more convincing comic relief than Marcus and SR combined...
Image
User avatar
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 7438
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:30 am

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron