Indiana Jones & The Entirely Satisfactory Conclusion!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Which is the greatest Indy sequel/prequel...so far

TOD
46%
Last Crusade
54%

Total votes : 67

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 19, 2008 8:30 pm

instant_karma wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:
Marcus is obviously suffering from Alzheimers in TLC if he once got lost in his own museum. Please, can't you just admit that Marcus wss played for laughs in TLC while he wasn't in Raiders? Sallah, too.

Lucas: what can i do to lighten....hey...old, confused people and people with accents are funny! GOLD!!!!!!!!

Well, it worked with Yoda...

heheh, i love the scene where he's wrestling with R2D2 over the flashlight and starts hitting him with the stick...

Sometimes goofy works, but Lucas has a tendency to go overboard on the goofy.

EDIT: try not to notice my new sig when i'm complaining about someone "going overboard on the goofy" :lol:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 19, 2008 8:51 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Matrowl wrote:Temple of Doom definetly has some of the most ingenious action scenes in movie history. It's also the most sloppily put together of the trilogy. Near the beginning, for example, when Indy is firing from the back of the car that Short Round is driving, you can clearly see that the "broken glass" is actually plastic. In a clearly visible shot Indy pulls his gun back through the hole and the fake plastic window pulls back. I could cite other examples.

I can't speak for Crystal Skull yet, but of the original three I'd say TOD is the film Spielberg was least into. I think he's actually admitted such. It's still hands down better than 90% of the garbage that passes as action these days, of course.

For every "plastic glass" from ToD you can give me I can give you 2 "lousy blue screen shots" in TLC.

I like the lousy blue screen shots. They give the movie that pulpy B-movie action feel. Unless the continuity error somehow drastically changes the tone of the film, I wouldn't really consider it a detriment. It's like saying the Beatles White album is total shit because of all the technical errors in it.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby tapehead on Mon May 19, 2008 8:54 pm

Yeah - Even Raiders has all those snake behind glass shots which to the discerning viewer are pretty obvious, but really dont detract from enjoying the movie at all.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:
Marcus is obviously suffering from Alzheimers in TLC if he once got lost in his own museum. Please, can't you just admit that Marcus wss played for laughs in TLC while he wasn't in Raiders? Sallah, too.

Lucas: what can i do to lighten....hey...old, confused people and people with accents are funny! GOLD!!!!!!!!

All of the films have old, confused people, accented people...and old, accented people.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon May 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

All of the films have old, confused people, accented people...and old, accented people.

Heh, kinda like the "Star Trek" pictures eh?

oh, yeah... and the zone.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Zarles on Mon May 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

Yeah, where is Dino, anyway?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Probably listening to big band hits on his seaview veranda, drinking grappa and swearing at gulls.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Zarles on Mon May 19, 2008 9:20 pm

It's not nice to swear at the ladies.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Dino posts under his "Atomic Hyperbole" alt at the moment.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 19, 2008 11:09 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
RogueScribne r wrote:
Matrowl wrote:Temple of Doom definetly has some of the most ingenious action scenes in movie history. It's also the most sloppily put together of the trilogy. Near the beginning, for example, when Indy is firing from the back of the car that Short Round is driving, you can clearly see that the "broken glass" is actually plastic. In a clearly visible shot Indy pulls his gun back through the hole and the fake plastic window pulls back. I could cite other examples.

I can't speak for Crystal Skull yet, but of the original three I'd say TOD is the film Spielberg was least into. I think he's actually admitted such. It's still hands down better than 90% of the garbage that passes as action these days, of course.

For every "plastic glass" from ToD you can give me I can give you 2 "lousy blue screen shots" in TLC.

I like the lousy blue screen shots. They give the movie that pulpy B-movie action feel. Unless the continuity error somehow drastically changes the tone of the film, I wouldn't really consider it a detriment. It's like saying the Beatles White album is total shit because of all the technical errors in it.

Okay, so technical errors in TLC makes it pulpy fun but technical errors in ToD is shoddy craftsmanship. I give up.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon May 19, 2008 11:23 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Retardo_Montalba n wrote:
RogueScribne r wrote:

Okay, so technical errors in TLC makes it pulpy fun but technical errors in ToD is shoddy craftsmanship. I give up.

I give virtual dollars...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon May 19, 2008 11:55 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Retardo_Montalba n wrote:
RogueScribne r wrote:

I've stated a few times that I don't take technical aspects into account of my opinion between The Last Crusade and The Temple of Doom. I enjoy both movies and have watched both many times. The only thing that puts the Last Crusade over the Temple of Doom in my opinion is the lack of Willie and Short round. I found those characters too distracting to get into the movie as much as The Last Crusade. While I agree that Brody is a wiener and Elsa is a wooden board with tits, they are not present in the movie enough to matter. Indy is in the drivers seat the whole movie just where I want him. Sean Connery is the only other character in that movie in contention with Indy and he is damned entertaining to watch as well.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 1:25 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Elsa is a wooden board with tits

And she's goddamn stupid to boot. I mean I can understand wanting the Grail and all, but her death scene was fucking ridiculous. "I can reach it!" And Indy's telling her what a stupid bitch she is and to give him her other hand and she doesn't fucking do it. She just keeps reaching for that dusty fuckin' cup.

And then when Indy falls he does the same fucking thing! Other than that kind of shit, I think LAST CRUSADE is a decent movie. TEMPLE OF DOOM doesn't have those sorts of logistical problems.

Yes, I realize that the dingy escape is impossible and that there were fucking crevasses and shit that the water would've washed into and thus wouldn't be a danger to the whine whine bitch, etc. You know what fucking logistical problems I'm talking about.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 1:33 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:some shit fuck shit shit shit motherfucker shit fuck shit shit fuck

That's pretty accurate.
caruso_stalker217

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 20, 2008 3:55 am

That Spielberg "loved" on less than the other is a complete fallacy. He was only disappointed with the reaction to TOD. As for whether or not errors can affect your enjoyment, well, here's TOD's versus TLC's. If you're having trouble swallowing TOD's, then it's only fair that coupled with what appears to be more errors in TLC, plus the shitty effects and plastic snakes, you should probably be holding vomit down whilst watching it.

That library scene... "the library is closing for a few minutes, I'll arrange us to stay for longer." And yet still going through the floor despite this without anyone noticing. Plastic glass? Balls if you can swallow this you can swallow that. Let alone the X seeming changing how it's painted on halfway through the scene, from being shiny as a mirror to dull when the center tile is taken off.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 20, 2008 4:13 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:That Spielberg "loved" on less than the other is a complete fallacy. He was only disappointed with the reaction to TOD. As for whether or not errors can affect your enjoyment, well, here's TOD's versus TLC's. If you're having trouble swallowing TOD's, then it's only fair that coupled with what appears to be more errors in TLC, plus the shitty effects and plastic snakes, you should probably be holding vomit down whilst watching it.

That library scene... "the library is closing for a few minutes, I'll arrange us to stay for longer." And yet still going through the floor despite this without anyone noticing. Plastic glass? Balls if you can swallow this you can swallow that. Let alone the X seeming changing how it's painted on halfway through the scene, from being shiny as a mirror to dull when the center tile is taken off.

That's easy to explain away. The cleaner had just polished the floors and Indy and his friends came and stepped all over the clean floor and made it dirty, hence it looking terrible now.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 4:17 am

papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:That Spielberg "loved" on less than the other is a complete fallacy. He was only disappointed with the reaction to TOD. As for whether or not errors can affect your enjoyment, well, here's TOD's versus TLC's. If you're having trouble swallowing TOD's, then it's only fair that coupled with what appears to be more errors in TLC, plus the shitty effects and plastic snakes, you should probably be holding vomit down whilst watching it.

That's easy to explain away. The cleaner had just polished the floors and Indy and his friends came and stepped all over the clean floor and made it dirty, hence it looking terrible now.

That's pretty fuckin' inconsiderate if you ask me.
caruso_stalker217

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 20, 2008 4:23 am

I hate Indy now for that.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 4:32 am

It's almost as bad as that scene in RAIDERS when he's chasing the truck with the Ark in it and he drives right through a fruit stand. That's not fucking cool.
caruso_stalker217

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 20, 2008 4:40 am

Jack Colton would respect the culture more.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue May 20, 2008 4:44 am

Or that scene in Return of the Jedi, where he and Lando blow up the death star filled with contractors, and that thing was the size of a small moon.

Plus, in tLC crusade, just what prompts those tattoo guys to start chasing Indy in Venice?!?! One minute they aren't there, the next you see their ankles traipsing down a spiral staircase, from nowhere! Generic to the point of being GTA pop up peds in a computer game. Shocking sequence.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Brit Pop on Tue May 20, 2008 5:00 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:It's almost as bad as that scene in RAIDERS when he's chasing the truck with the Ark in it and he drives right through a fruit stand. That's not fucking cool.

Indy shares a lot of traits with Han Solo when it comes to shocking levels of murderous violence.

There's the cold blooded murder of a street performer in Cairo, 'Unsal The Amazing Swordsmith' was two weeks from retirement when he put on his final show for Dr Jones.

In TLC, when he pretends to be a Scottish dignitary to gain access to the castle... he brains the big-nosed butler with a swift back hander - the poor guy must have been about 80.

Also in TLC, on board the zeppelin... Indy assumes the role of a ticket collector after he (presumably) beats up the also very frail old man to get hold of his uniform.

Later on in TLC, after the zeppelin escape, Indy and Henry steal a car just as the old man who owns it was putting the hub cap back on... I'm surprised Indy didn't back the car over him just to be sure!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:03 am

There is also that part during the opening of TEMPLE OF DOOM where he punches a woman in the face.

However, he had himself just been punched and was likely disoriented (due also to the poison he just drank, of course).

Also, that part is hilarious.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:05 am

He also blows up that ship at the beginning of THE LAST CRUSADE, killing everyone onboard... for a fucking cross!

But, you know, it should've been in a museum so it's okay.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Brit Pop on Tue May 20, 2008 5:09 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:He also blows up that ship at the beginning of THE LAST CRUSADE, killing everyone onboard... for a fucking cross!

But, you know, it should've been in a museum so it's okay.

LOL!

"Dr Jones, you stand accused of ramming a bus load of nuns and orphans off a cliff, whilst involved in a high speed gun battle with Chinese opium smugglers... do you have anything to say before I pass sentence?"

"They should have been in a museum."

"Good point. Go on, get out of here ya crazy archaelologist!"
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 am

Something else occurred to me. At the beginning there when Indiana Jones was River Phoenix that guy gave him his hat and then it jumps forward to 1938 A.D. and I think we're supposed to believe that he's wearing that same hat, but didn't he lose his hat back in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK when he hitched a ride on the Nazi sub?

Is the hat just a symbol? Or should we think Indy's kind of a dick for losing something that holds so much significance and then not seeming to care about it, even though it was showed in TEMPLE OF DOOM that he cared so much for his hat that he risked being crushed to grab it.

I will ponder this.
Last edited by caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
caruso_stalker217

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 20, 2008 5:20 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

More inconsiderate than stomping all over someone's private Castle, destroying an evil lair which doesn't belong to you, freeing slaves which he had no right in doing and lastly breaking a bridge which was the only liking point between two cliff faces in probably about 100 miles.

I mean, the noive of some people.

Oh and Indy never loses his hat.

papalazeru

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:25 am

papalazeru wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

More inconsiderate than stomping all over someone's private Castle, destroying an evil lair which doesn't belong to you, freeing slaves which he had no right in doing and lastly breaking a bridge which was the only liking point between two cliff faces in probably about 100 miles.

Someone's private temple.

And I think you'd have an argument about the slave thing if the children hadn't been kidnapped from the village. If they'd gone through the proper channels and purchased the slaves I think they'd have a pretty good case against the good doctor. Legally, I think Indy is in the clear.
caruso_stalker217

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 20, 2008 5:32 am

None of what Papa's listed is as bad as the shit that goes down in TLC. He should just accept he loves a bastard.

But then everyone loves a bastard.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Tue May 20, 2008 5:38 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Someone's private temple.

And I think you'd have an argument about the slave thing if the children hadn't been kidnapped from the village. If they'd gone through the proper channels and purchased the slaves I think they'd have a pretty good case against the good doctor. Legally, I think Indy is in the clear.

From the legal team representing Mola Ram's next of kin in 'Thuggee Cult vs Dr Henry Jones Jr'

A case could be made that the slaves were involved in an extremely delicate mining and construction operation, and the disruption caused by their escape led to tens of thousands of gallons of polluted water flowing into the local rivers network, causing the deaths of many rare crocodiles.

After this case...

'Terri Irwin vs Dr Henry Jones Jr'
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:43 am

And let's not forget -- let's NOT forget -- that keeping wildlife, ah... an amphibious rodent... within the city....

... that ain't legal either.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Brit Pop on Tue May 20, 2008 5:46 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:And let's not forget -- let's NOT forget -- that keeping wildlife, ah... an amphibious rodent... within the city....

... that ain't legal either.

What are you? A fucking park ranger now?
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 am

We've entered dangerous territory here. I've got THE BIG LEBOWSKI committed to memory and I'm notorious for busting that shit out at inappropriate times. And I don't stop at a few lines. I do entire scenes. So I feel, for everyone's safety, that I should excersize... excersise... excercise... excer... show some restraint.
caruso_stalker217

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 20, 2008 7:54 am

Too....many....film.....references......must.....w atch.....spaced.

papalazeru

Postby CeeBeeUK on Tue May 20, 2008 8:06 am

But are you ready now Papa?
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 20, 2008 8:51 am

CeeBeeUK wrote:But are you ready now Papa?

I'm ready for watching that wonderful film, Last Crusade, again.

Yes, definately Ceebs.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 20, 2008 11:42 am

And ....I dissagree with the title of this thread.

It is in no way desultory.

We were quite consice and in unison in preferring TLC.

Poll proves that the Aye's have it.

papalazeru

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 20, 2008 11:57 am

It's close run, but it just goes to show there's no accounting for taste. Five more idiots in the bag.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 20, 2008 12:09 pm

papalazeru wrote:And ....I dissagree with the title of this thread.

It is in no way desultory.

Yep, if this thread is considered desultory then the entire Zone must be considered disconnected, haphazard and random.

It's managed to go thirteen pages and come out still on topic, with us still able to proclaim The Last Crusade as better.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm

I just see five more tools.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Tue May 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Surely it would be 27 idiots? Otherwise you are saying the people who prefer TOD are idiots too, but more idiots prefer TLC.

ie. Counting yourself as a tool. Honest to a fault.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 20, 2008 2:10 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:It's close run, but it just goes to show there's no accounting for taste. Five more idiots in the bag.

If there's no accounting for taste, you need Capone's bookkeeper.

Now, I'm off to watch AvP 2.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Tue May 20, 2008 2:16 pm

papalazeru wrote:
AtomicHyperbole wrote:It's close run, but it just goes to show there's no accounting for taste. Five more idiots in the bag.

If there's no accounting for taste, you need Capone's bookkeeper.

Now, I'm off to watch AvP 2.

Cool. Thats the best one!! :wink:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 20, 2008 7:52 pm

I think some alts are voting because the numbers jumped big time in TLC's favor since yesterday and I don't see a bunch of new people posting in this thread.

Therefore, I declare the poll null and void and I will only consider the opinion of the people who actually bothered to post.

:-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 pm

You don't have to post in this thread to have an opinion in the matter. The Last Crusade's been dominating this poll since I started looking at the thread early yesterday or maybe the day before, time melds together on the weekend.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 20, 2008 8:27 pm

TLC has never had more than a 3 - 5 vote lead the entire time I've been reading this thread and now it has 9 more votes. And that is just since last night when the poll has been up for days. Where are all the latecomers coming from? They're ALTs until proven otherwise.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Peven on Tue May 20, 2008 8:47 pm

look, different strokes for different folks. the goody two shoes bunch prefer TLC while those more inclined to appreciate the wilder things in life prefer ToD.... :-P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Tue May 20, 2008 9:54 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:That Spielberg "loved" on less than the other is a complete fallacy. He was only disappointed with the reaction to TOD.

This is simply wrong - let me just quote you some Spielberg on Spielberg:

"“I wasn’t happy with the second film at all,â€
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed May 21, 2008 12:02 am

RogueScribner wrote:I think some alts are voting because the numbers jumped big time in TLC's favor since yesterday and I don't see a bunch of new people posting in this thread.

Therefore, I declare the poll null and void and I will only consider the opinion of the people who actually bothered to post.

:-P

I only just recently voted, if that will explain one vote. ;)

You TOD fans will be happy to know, my Last Crusade defense over on Cinematical pretty much went down in flames. ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed May 21, 2008 12:07 am

Peven wrote:look, different strokes for different folks. the goody two shoes bunch prefer TLC while those more inclined to appreciate the wilder things in life prefer ToD.... :-P

Goody two shoes? I bet you haven't even been in a stick fight, have you?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion