Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? Yup!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? Yup!

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:44 am

I like the first one just fine, the other two (3?) sucked IMO.

This one looked pretty bad too, so I'll be seeing this a year from now when its on HBO I guess.

I too have heard the "fun" tag thrown around, but nothing more. Not great, not edge of my seat, just "fun". So I guess that's something.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:27 am

i'm looking forward to the next 2 films in this epic trilogy, Jurassic Galaxy and Jurassic Universe. and then things should get REALLY crazy when we start getting into the multiverse and interdimensional-travelling dinos.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:so anyone go see it?

I did!
Epic Ridiculousness!
Brain melting fun.
I loved it!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:19 am

Every now and then something happens that reminds me just how out of touch I am. Jurassic Park 4 becoming the most successful movie of all-time? Yeah, I did not see that coming.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:53 am

Ribbons wrote:Every now and then something happens that reminds me just how out of touch I am. Jurassic Park 4 becoming the most successful movie of all-time? Yeah, I did not see that coming.

Seriously? That just happened? Huh...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 am

Guys my age love the first film. Everybody I know took their kids to see this new film over the weekend. Ya know, that whole thing where you introduce your kid to something you were into at their age? There's your money.

I was never into the first film and I neither have a ten year old kid nor am I somebody's ten year old kid, so I was not part of this great global box office flocking.

I'm probably as out of touch with Jurassic Park as a guy can get. I saw the first two when they came out but not since. I'd lost track of these movies and assumed this was the fifth, but it turns out it's only the fourth. I also watched the Honest Trailers for the first two movies. I would've sworn Helen Hunt was in these movies, but I guess my memory confused her with Laura Dern or Julianne Moore. And I completely forgot Sam Jackson was in the first one.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:27 pm

so sorry wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Every now and then something happens that reminds me just how out of touch I am. Jurassic Park 4 becoming the most successful movie of all-time? Yeah, I did not see that coming.

Seriously? That just happened? Huh...

When you think about it though, it's makes sense.

- nostalgia value for those of a certain age group (especially given this largely ignores the JP2 and JP3)
- enough time has passed that it's plausible some people will not have watched any Jurassic Park movie (either in a long time, or at all).
- people love anthropomorphised CGI animals.
- everyone seems to love Chris Pratt at the moment.
- for the dads, it's got Clint Howard's niece in a vest.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Fried Gold wrote:- everyone seems to love Chris Pratt at the moment.

Women in particular. I'm pretty sure Chris Pratt has slept with all of our mums at this point.

The thing is, even with all that in mind, I have trouble wrapping my head around it. All of those factors you listed make sense to me, and I get where the audience is coming from, but the unstoppable money juggernaut this movie has become is just mind-boggling to me. Especially since, psst: it's not very good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Jurassic World 2 - Can It Save The Franchise?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Box-Office Milestone: 'Jurassic World' Becomes No. 3 Movie of All Time
On Tuesday, the Universal tentpole passed up 'The Avengers.' Talk about bite.

‘Jurassic World’ Sequel Set For June 2018; Chris Pratt Back
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:BREAKING:
Universal Pictures has set a June 22, 2018, release date for Jurassic World Sequel, which hopefully will have a catchier title and a director soon. But it does have Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard returning as the leads and Jurassic World helmer Colin Trevorrow writing the script. He isn’t returning as director because it’s expected he’ll instead go off and do one of the Star Wars films. Frank Marshall andSteven Spielberg are also in the braintrust.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Given it's the fifth movie...surely they have to call it Jurassic 5.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Given it's the fifth movie...surely they have to call it Jurassic 5.

TheBaxter wrote:i'm looking forward to the next 2 films in this epic trilogy, Jurassic Galaxy and Jurassic Universe. and then things should get REALLY crazy when we start getting into the multiverse and interdimensional-travelling dinos.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Jurassic 5

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Given it's the fifth movie...surely they have to call it Jurassic 5.

TheBaxter wrote:i'm looking forward to the next 2 films in this epic trilogy, Jurassic Galaxy and Jurassic Universe. and then things should get REALLY crazy when we start getting into the multiverse and interdimensional-travelling dinos.

We look back at a 'Jurassic Park 4' script for hints about 'Jurassic World 2'
Just how far can the 'Jurassic World' sequel really go?
Moriarty wrote:One of the biggest dangling threads in "Jurassic World" is the fate of Dr. Henry Wu.

I thought it was fun casting to bring B.D. Wong back for "Jurassic World," but when I saw the film, I was surprised by just how much screen time they gave him and how clearly he's turned the corner from "bright guy hired by Hammond to do something fantastic and ethically questionable" to "mad scientist screwing his theme park bosses while coming up with some sinister applications for his work."

What surprised me more was that they let him live. After all, "Jurassic World" is unafraid to kill even the most peripheral character in violent and preposterous manners, so why wouldn't they kill the man responsible for creating the just-plain-evil dinosaur that's running around eating everyone?

The obvious answer is that they still need him, and sure enough, "Jurassic World" makes it clear that Dr. Wu was airlifted out to continue his work under the auspices of InGen, a company that is now crystal clear on the way they can use these things as smart weapons. Why, it almost feels like they're setting up a way for the studio to repurpose some of the ideas that were originally developed by William Monahan and John Sayles for what was just called "Jurassic Park 4" when they were writing it circa 2006-2008.

While there are plenty of things in there that they can't use, including Hammond and a return to an abandoned Isla Nublar, my guess is that there are parts they can still strip out and use. That opening scene with kids getting attacked on a Little League diamond makes perfect sense after seeing the pteranadons fly out of the park.

Can you see where the seeds of Chris Pratt's raptor team started in the ideas of this film? Now that they've laid the groundwork, anyone want to bet on whether or not Blue ends up at Owen's side for the new film? And now that Wu's starting creating his own dinosaurs, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the InGen labs are surrounded by some very sophisticated organic security measure, like those "excavaraptors."

Universal announced the release date of the film today, and they confirmed that pretty much the whole team will return. Pratt and Howard are both set to star again, and Colin Trevorrow is onboard to co-write with Derek Connolly.

While that doesn't completely knock him out of that rumored "Star Wars Episode 9" gig, it's obvious this will be his main priority as long as Universal wants it to be, and if he feels any ownership of these characters, he may well make the commitment to directing this instead. Whatever the case, it's clear that Universal sees this as a new franchise now, with "Jurassic World" as the beginning point, and they'll make their creative decisions moving forward with this one as the template. I'm not even saying that they'll specifically tell Trevorrow and Connolly to borrow from this one. I just know that Spielberg loved some of these ideas, and it wouldn't be shocking if he were still trying to find a way to bring some of those ideas to life.

But, seriously… they have to give Wu a spectacular death. They've set him up too well at this point for that not to pay off.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:24 am

God I hope so
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:43 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic World 38

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:04 am

Colin Trevorrow and Steven Spielberg Already Working on ‘Jurassic World’ Trilogy
With a release set for the second installment, a ‘Jurassic World’ trilogy is in early development.

Chris Pratt is signed on for more Jurassic World movies
TIM STACK wrote:Are you signed on for a Jurassic sequel?
I am. They have me for I think 38 movies or something.

VOTD: See All of the ‘Jurassic World’ References to ‘Jurassic Park’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:55 pm

I hear no high heels for Bryce Dallas Howard in Jurassic 5.

It was a minor annoyance for me in Jurassic World.

They should have done this (I actually thought of this scene while watching JW):

Maui
WoWie

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:04 am

Ribbons wrote:The thing is, even with all that in mind, I have trouble wrapping my head around it. All of those factors you listed make sense to me, and I get where the audience is coming from, but the unstoppable money juggernaut this movie has become is just mind-boggling to me. Especially since, psst: it's not very good.

I completely agree. It was an adequate film, not terrible, certainly not even good but it plodded along with no surprises whatsoever.

While it may be, 'for a new audience', did it have to be such a rehash with the Abrams style homages to the original? (which to be fair, I did find funny).
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 am

Good thing we have Colin Trevorrow directing Episode 9, amirite?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:37 am

Ribbons wrote:Good thing we have Colin Trevorrow directing Episode 9, amirite?

I'd start a petition, but I'm too late
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Ribbons wrote:The thing is, even with all that in mind, I have trouble wrapping my head around it. All of those factors you listed make sense to me, and I get where the audience is coming from, but the unstoppable money juggernaut this movie has become is just mind-boggling to me. Especially since, psst: it's not very good.

Finally caught up with this movie, and psst: you're being too kind with "not very good".

The only thing I can positively say about this one is that the CGI was really good. Oh, and BDH is teh hotness. Other than that, what a crap fest.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Jurassic5!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:05 pm

EXCLUSIVE: JURASSIC WORLD 2 TO BEGIN PRODUCTION FEBRUARY 2017; RETURNING TO HAWAII
Chris Pugh wrote:The news keeps roaring in, and this time it answers a big question: will the islands return? The answer is yes. ‘Ancient Futures’ will begin production in Hawaii on February 27th, 2017! We have exclusively learned (and confirmed) this in conjunction with Reel News Hawaii, so be sure to give them some love as well.

It’s unclear yet if this is the filming start date, or when production will gear up with crew building sets in preparation of filming. Considering the alleged start date in other locales, it seems plausible to be when filming will begin. We’ll be sure to keep our eyes and ears open in hopes of clarifying this.

The primary part of production will take place in London, likely at Pinewood Studios – though it seems other locales will be used as well. Speaking to Wired Magazine Colin Trevorrow stated “[It will not be] just a bunch of dinosaurs chasing people on an island, that’ll get old real fast. […] What if there are 15 different entities around the world who can make a dinosaur?” With that in mind, it seems safe to assume the Hawaii shoot will be more abbreviated than usual, with the majority of the film taking place elsewhere.

Be sure to stay tuned. The news keeps pouring in, and as we learn more, we’ll share more! If you have news you want us to report, be sure to let us know! Otherwise, sound off in the comments below and let us know what you think about the return of Hawaii!

Exclusive: Jurassic World 2 may be off-island, with open-source dinos
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic5!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Screenrant:
Jurassic World 2 Director Teases Start of Filming

NewScientist:
Giant flying reptile was top predator like a winged T. rex
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 am

MOVIE LEGENDS: WERE THERE ALMOST DINO-MEN IN JURASSIC WORLD?
Brian Cronin wrote:MOVIE URBAN LEGEND: The idea of having dinosaur-men in “Jurassic World” was far enough along that they even did concept designs for the characters for the film.

Reader Henry G. wrote in asking about this one. This is a tricky legend because it combines some reality with some fictional aspects of the story, so the end result could be a bit confusing.

As you may or may not, before films actually begin production, a lot of time is spent on designing the various elements of the film. Sometimes, these designs end up being so bizarre that they don’t make it into the final film (like H.R. Giger’s design of a Batmobile for “Batman Forever”) and other times, outside influences affect how something is designed (like the reason why there are two different “Ghostface” mask designs used in the movie “Scream”). Generally, though, they just give filmmakers an idea of what the film might look like and how much it might cost to produce.

In the case of “Jurassic World,” back when the film was simply “Jurassic Park 4,” there were a lot of different ideas about how to do the film. If you recall, the idea of splicing in DNA of other animals into the dinosaurs was a key part of Michael Crichton’s original novel, “Jurassic Park,” and played a role in the first film adaptation of the book, as well.

So back in 2005, John Sayles (of “Piranha” fame, although obviously he’s done many fine films other than that one, but that’s probably the most important film for this particular discussion) and William Monahan wrote a script for a possible “Jurassic Park 4” where they took the DNA-splicing to the logical extreme and had dinosaurs DNA-spliced with humans to create sort of dino-men soldiers who could problem solve and fire weapons. As you might imagine, this goes horribly, horribly wrong.

So back in 2012 (and this is really what Henry was writing in about), some concept art by artist Carlos Huarte began to float around the internet, showing that this idea had apparently not just been blown off, but had been taken seriously enough that concept art and mock-ups by Industrial Light and Magic had been made for the possible “Jurassic Park 4″…

Interesting stuff, right?

Except that it actually wasn’t for the film in question. An Industrial Light and Magic representative explained to ScreenRant, regarding the concept work:
Not sure where this stuff came from but it’s not from a production we’ve worked on. Looks like someone’s personal work – ILM doesn’t put © lines on our work like in those images – we don’t own the work – the clients do.

As it turned out, it was just artist Carlos Huarte doing some design work on the side for fun. As he explained on his Instagram account:
I just did these for fun .. I did work on a version of that film but that version has nothing at all to do with the film .. It was just an experiment. There was no studio involved and no script.. Someone recently stole my work and posted it all over the internet as work from that film.. Which it wasn’t..

So that’s what I mean by it being a tricky question, Henry. Yes, at one point, someone DID work on a script that would have had dino-men in it, but that never went past the script stage, and the alleged “concept art for the film” was just an artist doing some speculative design work on his own for fun.

Ultimately, then, I’m going with this legend as…

Did H.R. Giger Really Design a Batmobile for Batman Forever?

Was the Ghostface Mask From Scream First Discovered in an Abandoned House?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:59 pm

TheButcher wrote:Jeff Goldblum Is Back In Black For JURASSIC WORLD 2
That is one big pile of money.

YESssSS!! Dr. Ian Malcolm is back!

Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 pm

My review of Jurassic World 2:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:59 pm

Ribbons wrote:My review of Jurassic World 2:

Perfect.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:56 pm

My review: Yeah, it was alright.

It delivered the dinosaur-based moderate threat, occasional bloody moments and action violence that I expect from a Jurassic Park movie.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Where would you guys rank it in the series?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:38 pm

To be completely honest with you, I haven't seen it. :oops:

But I'm guessing it's the worst.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:03 pm

sounds like someone is deflecting some serious rejection :-P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 pm

A spoiler filled and funny review of sorts

For those of us who aren't going to see this movie, but are kinda curious to what happens.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It delivered the dinosaur-based moderate threat, occasional bloody moments and action violence that I expect from a Jurassic Park movie.

Those are the expectations for a Jurassic Park movie? I kind of miss the days of dinosaur wonder. :(
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion