Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? Yup!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 17, 2008 7:47 pm

I'd rather not have a Jurassic Park IV to be quite honest.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 7:48 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:I'd rather not have a Jurassic Park IV to be quite honest.

I'd like to know your reasoning. You share the same idea that it's basically now been written into a corner?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 7:53 pm

Moriarty wrote in 2004.....

So... now that that's out of the way, let's talk about JURASSIC PARK 4 by William Monahan and John Sayles. We've been hearing vague rumors about this one for a while now, and I mean vague. There's not a solid piece of information out there so far, based on the Google search I ran earlier tonight. I can tell you that a few of the rumors I read are close to right, but nothing had the details nailed down.

Steven Spielberg has been quoted as saying that they had the "mother of all ideas"
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 7:56 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:I'd rather not have a Jurassic Park IV to be quite honest.

I'd like to know your reasoning. You share the same idea that it's basically now been written into a corner?

From the discussion my post has spawned, I certainly agree with you now that it has been written into a corner. But that's why I wanted to open the discussion - wanted to hear people's points. And rewatching the films has revived my interest in talking about them :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 17, 2008 7:58 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:
I'd rather not have a Jurassic Park IV to be quite honest.

Pretty much.

There's really not a lot they can do aside from the Tekken type thing of having them as, i guess soldiers would be the word, i dunno.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Isn't it a little fucked up when dinosaur killing machines with lazers becomes the only logical path?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 17, 2008 8:23 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Isn't it a little fucked up when dinosaur killing machines with lazers becomes the only logical path?

Yes.

Now dinosaur killing machines with semi-automatics, on the other hand...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 8:25 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Isn't it a little fucked up when dinosaur killing machines with lazers becomes the only logical path?

I'm certain that there's another solution. There has to be a way to bring the dinosaurs back, but up the tension and maybe make the content more adult (i.e. violence, scares). I don't know if Spielberg should come back on board for it though, I think it needs someone a bit different.

Anyone up for a JP IV with Pete Jackson on board? :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:

I'm certain that there's another solution. There has to be a way to bring the dinosaurs back, but up the tension and maybe make the content more adult (i.e. violence, scares). I don't know if Spielberg should come back on board for it though, I think it needs someone a bit different.

I am up for nothing that involves Peter Jackson....
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 8:28 pm

travis-dane wrote:

I am up for nothing that involves Peter Jackson....

:shock:

I'm going to hold my copy of Bad Taste until I stop crying.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Oh, if a PJ directed JP4 was anything like Bad Taste I'd be camping outside the cinema for months to see it.

A PJ directed JP4 would involve a lot of walking, a sub-plot involving bestiality & a fucking shit load of Andy Serkis Mo-cap.

Count me out.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:I'm going to hold my copy of Bad Taste until I stop crying.

Oh,sorry!
I mean nothing after "The Frighteners",Jacksons last good movie!
BUT nothing beats his MASTERPIECE "Meet the Feebles"!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 8:32 pm

I've said it earlier, but for me getting the dinosaurs onto the mainland is the first trick. Maybe moving ahead some years, revealing that colonies of various dino's have made it there. Introduce the camo-dino's when going through the papers of the offices on the island. Show the amount of research going on, the tanks, foetus' floating in tubes. Underwater tanks, the extent of the experimentation.

It's science fiction, so you can take it so far. The moral implications of killing this life that's been created, the global discussion about the techniques. Further experimentation by different governments, the intrusion of the US on the soil of a country that wants to keep them as natural fauna for the tourist trade.

Then bring in the newer dino's. And the new experiments. Maybe introduce hybrids, security companies plying creatures that are half dog, half dinosaur. The implications of genetic splicing gone wrong. This is years later. Horrific accidents have been occuring with the spliced creatures. You don't have to stick with dinosaurs either, maybe those extinct birds have been brought back?

Or maybe extinct diseases? A potential plague carrier released? Maybe the camo-dinosaurs, hard to catch, are carrying a communicable disease?

There's still a lot to play with. The clue is not to limit yourselves to one single element.
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 8:33 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Oh, if a PJ directed JP4 was anything like Bad Taste I'd be camping outside the cinema for months to see it.

A PJ directed JP4 would involve a lot of walking, a sub-plot involving bestiality & a fucking shit load of Andy Serkis Mo-cap.

Count me out.

Okay, back to the drawing board...

What direction could JP IV take that wouldn't be crazy assed dino riders?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 8:34 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I've said it earlier, but for me getting the dinosaurs onto the mainland is the first trick. Maybe moving ahead some years, revealing that colonies of various dino's have made it there. Introduce the camo-dino's when going through the papers of the offices on the island. Show the amount of research going on, the tanks, foetus' floating in tubes. Underwater tanks, the extent of the experimentation.

It's science fiction, so you can take it so far. The moral implications of killing this life that's been created, the global discussion about the techniques. Further experimentation by different governments, the intrusion of the US on the soil of a country that wants to keep them as natural fauna for the tourist trade.

Then bring in the newer dino's. And the new experiments. Maybe introduce hybrids, security companies plying creatures that are half dog, half dinosaur. The implications of genetic splicing gone wrong. This is years later. Horrific accidents have been occuring with the spliced creatures. You don't have to stick with dinosaurs either, maybe those extinct birds have been brought back?

Or maybe extinct diseases? A potential plague carrier released? Maybe the camo-dinosaurs, hard to catch, are carrying a communicable disease?

There's still a lot to play with. The clue is not to limit yourselves to one single element.

I'm liking some of the ideas you bring up here dude. And I agree that maybe focusing more on the SF and taking time for interesting scenes before having the dinos actual appear would be a good way to do it.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Maybe even looking back towards era's further back before dino's. Experiments to recreate real primordial stuff, like Deinicthyus (spelling), Trilobites. Early tests to try to reconstruction DNA, to build with it, rather than merely extract it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 8:38 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Maybe even looking back towards era's further back before dino's. Experiments to recreate real primordial stuff, like Deinicthyus (spelling), Trilobites. Early tests to try to reconstruction DNA, to build with it, rather than merely extract it.

You know what? A movie featuring giant Trilobites would scare the shit out of me :shock:
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 8:38 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I've said it earlier, but for me getting the dinosaurs onto the mainland is the first trick. Maybe moving ahead some years, revealing that colonies of various dino's have made it there. Introduce the camo-dino's when going through the papers of the offices on the island. Show the amount of research going on, the tanks, foetus' floating in tubes. Underwater tanks, the extent of the experimentation.

I'm liking some of the ideas you bring up here dude. And I agree that maybe focusing more on the SF and taking time for interesting scenes before having the dinos actual appear would be a good way to do it.

I think it's the only way to do it. You have to build up tension, then release it. Start off with the science, start off with the control, then move into the theories and guesswork. Then have the nightmare scenario kick in. That's where these movies work, and it's how Crichton writes. Its a solid dependable backbone to work from - even The Thing kind of went in this direction. We were introduced directly to the horror, as JP, then we retract it for study.

You could start off with a camo-attack then pull back from there.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 8:42 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:That's where these movies work, and it's how Crichton writes.

Exactly what I'd like to see with a JP IV - something with more discussion in it like the original novel.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby instant_karma on Sat May 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Sooo, Resident Evil with dinosaurs?

Although I cannot imagine Universal would ever be crazy enough to go for it, I'd love to see them try to make the John Sayles version. I love his genre writing work and at the very least, folks wouldn't be able to accuse JP4 of just rehashing the previous movies.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:02 am

No, not zombies. Not at all. Not entirely sure what you're getting at as I'm not suggesting computerised security systems with little girl holograms or teams of military descending into a Paul Anderson trap! ;)

I think the extent of the experimentation would be bigger, maybe even with a Hammond lab which has kept on working on the mainland. That they'd only do it on Isla Nebla and Sorna kind of confounds me, they'd probably have at least one secure facility elsewhere, and why not plonk it on the outskirts of a south american city?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:No, not zombies. Not at all. Not entirely sure what you're getting at as I'm not suggesting computerised security systems with little girl holograms or teams of military descending into a Paul Anderson trap! ;)

I think the extent of the experimentation would be bigger, maybe even with a Hammond lab which has kept on working on the mainland. That they'd only do it on Isla Nebla and Sorna kind of confounds me, they'd probably have at least one secure facility elsewhere, and why not plonk it on the outskirts of a south american city?

Sounds like "Dino Crysis",another Capcom classic....
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:17 am

ATOMICFAIL!
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Sun May 18, 2008 6:40 am

JP 4 should be more like this:

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 6:45 am

Transformers 2 should be like that, that's for certain.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Sun May 18, 2008 6:47 am

Probably will be. But I'm not seeing it. Watch movie that fucks up a great toon once, shame on you, watch it twice, shame on me.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 6:51 am

Watch it three times?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sun May 18, 2008 2:15 pm

JP4 should take place in the future. A descendant of Hammond would revisit the island and and find large populations of dinosaurs, and corral them and try to reopen Jurassic Park along the lines his ancestor did. Unfortunately, the dinosaurs (owing to some genetic manipulation) have become much more intelligent, and one of them (Spartacusaurus?) organizes the dinosaurs - all of them, not just his own species - to fight the evil humans and escape their enslavement. The story would be told from the hero-dinosaur point of view, with the humans as the bad guys. Eventually the dinos win their freedom.

Then, in JP5 (The Anthropocene Strikes Back), future humans use a time machine to send a dinosaur-like android back in time to track down and kill the mother of Spartacusaurus to prevent the dino army from ever being created. Future dinosaurs send back a dinosaur to combat the android, which is eventually terminated.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun May 18, 2008 5:27 pm

I reckon they should splice badger and dino dna together, creating an uber badger.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:I reckon they should splice badger and dino dna together, creating an uber badger.

Why not an uber snail?
Or an uber gerbil?
Or an uber clam?
Or an uber wombat?

That's IT! An uber wombat! Think of the possibilities! I can't, because I'm drunk.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Mon May 19, 2008 9:42 am

Dern Still Down for Jurassic Park 4
Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com
May 19, 2008

It's been a long time coming, but there is finally a new quote on Jurassic Park 4. TV Guide (via ShockTillYouDrop.com) spoke to Laura Dern about returning as Dr. Ellie Sattler in the fourth installment.

"It's a while away but my understanding is it's happening and my character is very involved," she told the magazine. "I know [director] Steven Spielberg is looking forward to [getting it together] over the next year."

Sam Neill previously said that he hadn't heard anything about his character, Dr. Alan Grant, coming back for another film.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Jurassic Park No More

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can It Save The Franchise??

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:51 am

I'm not shocked really, considering how little money the last one made (in comparison to the first two entries).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:25 pm

Man.. I actually had forgotten that Crichton had died....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Incredible! For the first time in living memory, producers are NOT making a sequel ...
minstrel

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:18 pm

They're going to go the prequel route instead.

Jurassic Park: Episode I - The Phantom T-Rex
Jurassic Park: Episode II - Attack of the Velociraptors
Jurassic Park: Episode III - Revenge of the Meteor
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby minstrel on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm

RogueScribner wrote:They're going to go the prequel route instead.

Now THAT would be a great film - Revenge of the Meteor! It would be like Deep Impact and Armageddon, but the humans don't win and most of the life on earth is wiped out ...
minstrel

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:53 pm

I'd rather see Jurassic Park: Episode III - Revenge of the Goldblum.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:06 pm

minstrel wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:They're going to go the prequel route instead.

Now THAT would be a great film - Revenge of the Meteor! It would be like Deep Impact and Armageddon, but the humans don't win and most of the life on earth is wiped out ...

it's not as good as it sounds. i hear there's an all-CGI mammal character who talks in pidgen english and steps in poo.
and the T-Rex's turn to the dark side isn't believable at all.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Jurassic Park IV

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:39 am

From Cinemablend: Jurassic Park 4 Not So Dead
Josh Tyler wrote:It seems that even though Marshall is no longer interested in making Jurassic Park 4, Universal Pictures still is. According to HR, though Universal has decided not to renew it’s production deal with Frank Marshall, they still have both he and his producing partner Kathleen Kennedy working on Jurassic Park 4 and Bourne 4 for them. This actually confirms something we heard from one of our sources last week, that Universal is getting involved and is keen to get another dino movie done.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:23 am

Kong?

I didn't think Jurassic Park was awesome fantastic in the first place. It was an adequate script and they were so desperate to keep the first one as a PG so the kiddies could see it that they brought in a new rating for the damned film.

The second one was just poor with the Dino love birds. I haven't seen the third one but I'm guessing it gets worse, so a forth one really doesn't sound appetising.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Maybe MGM and Uni should team up and make the Escape From NY remake into JP4. The president's plane could crash on the island and they send in badass Snake Plissken, who it turns out is the boy from the first one who had a rough time of it afterward and served time in the Marines and prison, to get him out. I'd watch it. You would too.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can It Save The Franchise? Nope!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 am

Well then I'm not watching it...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:44 pm

i guess they won't be basing it on this then....
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Pussies.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

The key part of that was:

"There is an idea now for number four that is different from the first three, and that is more or less the beginning of a new trilogy, in that it sends the whole franchise off in a new direction. It's not about the dinosaur park anymore. It's about all-new characters."

...so why the fark are they making it a "Jurassic Park" film?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

"There is an idea now for number four that is different from the first three, and that is more or less the beginning of a new trilogy, in that it sends the whole franchise off in a new direction. It's not about the dinosaur park anymore. It's about all-new characters."

Because it will suck. And if they call it Jurassic Park, they can at least trick people into seeing it in the theaters.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Moriarty wrote:[The main character] is put in charge of training these five dinosaurs, X1 through X5, and the first thing he does is name them. 'Any soldier worth his pay has a name to answer to, not a number,' he says. So we are introduced to Achilles, Hector, Perseus, Orestes, and Spartacus, each of them a specially created deinonychus, which is sort of like a miniature T-rex. They have super-sensitive smell and hearing, incredible strength and speed and pack-hunting instincts, and they have modified forelegs, lengthened and topped with more dextrous fingers, as well as dog DNA for increased obedience and human DNA so they can solve problems well. All of this is topped off with a drug-regulating implant that can dose them with adrenaline or serotonin as the situation demands."

Seriously. That's what the script was about. A commando team made up of gun-toting super-smart dinosaurs.

Actually, I was well up for this. Providing they didn't hit the roof of this idea too much that it was just too silly, just pull it back enough so that it's a bit more real and believable, so limit the far outness of the story, not use all of the ideas maybe. I thought it would rock.

Dinos in the cities, Dinos with intelligence and character, humans as the real monsters, talks of animal cruelty, Dinos as weapons, Dinos sympathetically trying to just be free. A decent loner, tough but with his own weaknesses to be a sympathetic character and one that can relate to the Dinos. Come on! This would work.

Shame this balls out premise that must have come from some mad, vicious brainstorm isn't gonna be used, but maybe just enough of it is. Or maybe the alternative story IS actually better.

After THREE - THREEEE farking movies set on just ANOTHER ISLAND!!!!! - we deserve something more respectable and deserving of where you can take the idea of 'Dinos in present time' to.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:41 am

Fried Gold wrote:

the same logic that leads them to make a movie about a kid who learns kung fu and call it The Karate Kid.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion