Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? Yup!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Jurassic Park IV - Can It Save The Franchise?

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:41 am

Vincent D'onofrio? Hmm, interesting. And odd, given that his L&O replacement, Jeff Goldblum was in the first 2. Oh I wish we could get Jeff to do a cameo ala Wolverine in First Class where someone calls him to ask for his help and he just says 'go fuck yourself'. Mark my words: It'd be pure awesome.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:23 am

‘Jurassic World’: Vincent D’Onofrio Teases ‘Different’ Plot & ‘Iconic’ Scenes
Vincent D’Onofrio says that ‘Jurassic World’ is very different than past ‘Jurassic Park’ movies, and no one has really guessed the story yet.
Mr. Brown wrote: ' Jurassic Park IV ' is not about this sensitive girl who meets a nice fella.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise?

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm trying to remember if there has ever been a teaser for a teaser for a movie before. If not, Jurassic World has blazed a new trail.

Tiny bits of footage here. But even in this little blip I kinda like the look and feel, which seems to be reminiscent of the original. But with a bubble car of some sort.

Looks like the rest will be during football on Thanksgiving.

Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:22 am

If you go to the Talkbacks you can see a brilliant in depth discussion of the beginning of CGI effects being discussed. That is why the TBs stay and the Zone is dead, hurrah! The fx discussion over there is MUCH better than the conversations the Zone had. To think the arrogance of this place trashed the TBs and look how much more educated and intelligent the talks are over there now and therefore much better than here. :twisted:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 pm

If you're going to show me stuff from the new film, don't show me stuff that makes me think "that just looks like stuff from the first movie".

Because I've already seen the first movie.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:If you're going to show me stuff from the new film, don't show me stuff that makes me think "that just looks like stuff from the first movie".

Didn't you see the round ball car?????? That's new dammit!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 am

Fried Gold wrote:If you're going to show me stuff from the new film, don't show me stuff that makes me think "that just looks like stuff from the first movie".

This has sort of been my attitude toward the whole thing. I'm not sure how many different ways there are for dinosaurs to terrorize people. And if I want to watch the first movie, well, I can always go watch the first movie.

And this is coming from someone who went through a phase where he watched Jurassic Park almost once a day and probably knows the script by heart, so it's not like the respect for the material isn't there...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:20 am

did they ever do that movie with the intelligent, trained talking bounty hunter dinosaurs? or is this supposed to be that movie?
because talking dinosaurs with guns, that would at least be something different and new.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 am

TheBaxter wrote:did they ever do that movie with the intelligent, trained talking bounty hunter dinosaurs? or is this supposed to be that movie?
because talking dinosaurs with guns, that would at least be something different and new.

That storyline was re-written and became this movie
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:49 pm

So....after all the previous movies showing how this is really a bad idea, at some point in the future they determine its no big deal anymore and open up a Disneyland park on the deadly island?

And more importantly, they decide to genetically engineer their own kind of dinosaur, dont'cha think you'd want to start with a tiny herbivore first?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:53 pm

It's weird..... I'm really interested in this film, but I wasn't particularly wowed by that trailer (and basic plot reveal).

But man.... Bryce Dallas Howard is aging like a fine fucking wine. :shock:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:28 pm

I didn't feel that dramatically engaged with the trailer.

I thought the title was possibly going to suggest that the dinosaurs were now all around the world, not just another dinosaur theme park.

It's never going to live up to the abandoned Dinoriders movie.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:42 pm

looks like a complete and total retread. other than bryce dallas howard in a tight gray tanktop, i fail to see what this movie has to offer that we haven't already seen in the previous films.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:56 am

You filmmakers! You spend so much time arguing about whether you COULD, you never stop to wonder whether you SHOULD!

I will say that someone coming along and un-learning the lessons of the first Jurassic Park is probably the most realistic thing about this trailer.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:57 am

TheBaxter wrote:looks like a complete and total retread.

Maybe it's more fore people without fond memories of the first movie. Like everybody under 30.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:01 pm

I was thinking that as well. If it's good enough, a new generation of kids will love it, regardless of how their parents feel.

Still, genetically modified super-dinos? Sounds hella dumb.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:32 am

Here's one of my biggest gripes in the whole picture's plot. I don't know how legit this is, but if this answer is true..... and it wouldn't surprise me..... then fuck all involved.

Why did Steven Spielberg invent a new dinosaur for Jurassic World?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:48 am

that is one of the most absolute ALF "articles" I have ever read. the dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park movies are only scary because they once existed?? this is what happens when you let nerds who don't know what a real vagina looks like write for the internet.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:18 am

Ribbons wrote:I was thinking that as well. If it's good enough, a new generation of kids will love it, regardless of how their parents feel.

Wait genetically modified super-dinos?
What happens when they bite people?
Do the people get dinosaur powers?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 am

TheButcher wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I was thinking that as well. If it's good enough, a new generation of kids will love it, regardless of how their parents feel.

Wait genetically modified super-dinos?

Dinosaur Neil has the answer to all your questions.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:11 pm

TheButcher wrote:Wait genetically modified super-dinos?

The dinosaur power of being dead I suppose.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:20 am

Why the Jurassic World Trailer Made Chris Pratt Cringe
"The movie's gonna be ten times better than the trailer."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:08 pm

This new trailer gives you a bit more idea of the storyline (Super T-Raptor?).

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:21 am

Meh. Not doing anything for me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:36 pm

I like that it's a fairly new idea, rather than just a simple rehashing.

The theme is actually open this time, so it's not just six people on an island.
They've intentionally de-fanged the Veloraptors this time, rather than just having them be a bit lame.
They appear to have actually kept some of the Dino Riders script concept.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:34 pm

http://io9.com/in-first-jurassic-world-clip-bryce-dallas-howard-recru-1696675211

Clip from the movie (starts at 25 second mark).
This clip was laughably bad IMO. Zero interest in this flick...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:12 pm

wow. really? THAT is what they choose to release as the first clip? no dinosaurs, no action. just lame attempts at unwitty banter that sounds like a random collection of cliche'd lines they pulled off the reject pile from judd apatow's last rom-com. watch that clip and you can already predict the entire story arc of their relationship, trying too hard to establish the whole "two polar opposite characters who are guaranteed to fuck by the time the film is over."
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:wow. really? THAT is what they choose to release as the first clip? no dinosaurs, no action. just lame attempts at unwitty banter that sounds like a random collection of cliche'd lines they pulled off the reject pile from judd apatow's last rom-com. watch that clip and you can already predict the entire story arc of their relationship, trying too hard to establish the whole "two polar opposite characters who are guaranteed to fuck by the time the film is over."

I know, right?! It really is THAT bad, so bad it seems like a joke of some kind.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:31 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:wow. really? THAT is what they choose to release as the first clip? no dinosaurs, no action. just lame attempts at unwitty banter that sounds like a random collection of cliche'd lines they pulled off the reject pile from judd apatow's last rom-com. watch that clip and you can already predict the entire story arc of their relationship, trying too hard to establish the whole "two polar opposite characters who are guaranteed to fuck by the time the film is over."

I know, right?! It really is THAT bad, so bad it seems like a joke of some kind.

yeah i was thinking it felt like a parody, and then i remembered that parodies are funny.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:48 pm

I think they expect that people know what a dinosaur looks like by now after three of these movies and they also don't want to reveal the new fangled super Dino just yet. everyone knows they are going to see dinosaurs running around when they go to see a Jurassic Park movie, what they don't know is what the humans are going to be like from movie to movie, the people we will experience the story through, what their relationships are and how they fit in with the dinosaur complication to come. context. this clip gives us a bit of that.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:48 am

Peven wrote:I think they expect that people know what a dinosaur looks like by now after three of these movies and they also don't want to reveal the new fangled super Dino just yet. everyone knows they are going to see dinosaurs running around when they go to see a Jurassic Park movie, what they don't know is what the humans are going to be like from movie to movie, the people we will experience the story through, what their relationships are and how they fit in with the dinosaur complication to come. context. this clip gives us a bit of that.

I hear you, and I get it. Its not like a dinosaur NEEDS to be in every clip they release in order to get me interested. But the nature of that scene, the goofy dialogue, almost comically cliched, is what I had an issue with. I guess maybe the one thing to take away from it that may be revealing is the casualness of the characters attitudes are to LIVING BREATHING DINOSAURS! The way he talks about them like they are everyday beings. Meh, still doesn't do anything for me. But this franchise has never held my attention outside of the incredible first movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:50 am

Peven wrote:I think they expect that people know what a dinosaur looks like by now after three of these movies and they also don't want to reveal the new fangled super Dino just yet. everyone knows they are going to see dinosaurs running around when they go to see a Jurassic Park movie, what they don't know is what the humans are going to be like from movie to movie, the people we will experience the story through, what their relationships are and how they fit in with the dinosaur complication to come. context. this clip gives us a bit of that.

well i know what chris pratt and bryce dallas howard look like too. the fact people already have an idea what the dinos look like means there's less reason/need to hide them or keep them under wraps. anyway, i don't need to see dinos specifically, but to see something that gives me an idea of whether the action in the films will be exciting or entertaining. no one goes to a JP movie for great drama.

anyway, i guess this clip is pretty informative, in the sense that now i have an idea of how terrible the scenes in between the dinosaur attacks will be. as someone who realistically will only be seeing this movie one day in the future when it comes out on cable or blu-ray, the clip only reinforces my feeling that it's not worth spending money on, with the added benefit of suggesting i need not waste any time watching it further on down the road either.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Newest trailer.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:43 pm

I think this looks fantastic, like a throwback monster movie from the 50's

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:25 am

Peven wrote:I think this looks fantastic, like a throwback monster movie from the 50's

Throwback monster movies from the 50s are not fantastic. They're quaint.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 pm

minstrel wrote:
Peven wrote:I think this looks fantastic, like a throwback monster movie from the 50's

Throwback monster movies from the 50s are not fantastic. They're quaint.

that is a matter of opinion. :) cautionary science-fiction mayhem along with a hero cut from the classic archetypical Beowulf cloth and a dose of wry humor? that's fantastic! 8-) :-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:01 pm

Nothing I have seen has convinced me to rush out opening weekend to see this. I don't hate anything I see, but I certainly am not amped about it.

If the reviews are good, I'll pop by a theatre and check it out. Otherwise, I might check it out once it hits iTunes.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:21 pm

I like that they broke from the standard JP mold of "a few people are stuck on an island with some dinosaurs" and traded that in for "a whole lot of people are stuck on the island with a ton of dinosaurs."
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby minstrel on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Are there going to be cute kids in this movie? Will they be fleeing from dinosaurs? If yes, will they have miraculous escapes? 'Cause that would suck. Look, I like kids, but I also like realism in my movies. It's about time a dinosaur kills and eats a kid (and maybe even a dog!) in a Jurassic Park movie. That'll wake people up.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:21 pm

minstrel wrote:Are there going to be cute kids in this movie? Will they be fleeing from dinosaurs? If yes, will they have miraculous escapes? 'Cause that would suck. Look, I like kids, but I also like realism in my movies. It's about time a dinosaur kills and eats a kid (and maybe even a dog!) in a Jurassic Park movie. That'll wake people up.

didn't the dog get eaten in the Lost World?
still waiting for some kids to get eaten though.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Colin Trevorrow Won’t Be Directing ‘Jurassic World 2′
“Jurassic Park is like Star Wars. Different directors can give a different taste to each movie. I would be involved in some way, but not as director.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park World

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:32 pm

TheButcher wrote:JURASSIC PARK 4 "ON HOLD"!?!?
Updated With Official Statement From Universal!
Beaks here with the official word from Universal: JURASSIC PARK 4 is officially on hold. Here's the statement released by the studio this morning:

In coordination with filmmakers, Universal has decided to release Jurassic Park 4 at a later date giving the studio and filmmakers adequate time to bring audiences the best possible version of the fourth installment in Universal’s beloved franchise. We could not be more excited about the vision that Colin Trevorrow has created for this film, and we look forward to watching as he and the producers create another great chapter in this franchise’s storied history.

The Original Jurassic World Screenplay Would Have Been "A Bad Movie"
Charlie Jane Anders wrote:Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) was hired to direct Jurassic World without being allowed to see the screenplay first. And when he finally saw the screenplay, he didn’t understand it. He says that he warned Steven Spielberg, “if I direct this screenplay, it’s going to be a bad movie.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic Park World

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:44 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Jurassic World Theory:
Chris Pratt’s Character Was The Young Boy in ‘Jurassic Park’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? YES!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:42 am

THR:
Box Office: 'Jurassic World' Crushes Friday for Record $177M-Plus U.S. Debut
The long-awaited fourth installment rescues the dinosaur franchise from near-extinction and is on course to score the third-best opening weekend of all time in North America.

Variety:
Legendary’s Thomas Tull to Get Monster Bite of ‘Jurassic World’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:41 am

SPOILERS!
AICN:
Harry says JURASSIC WORLD celebrates the dream of John Hammond, the nightmare of Crichton & cinema of Spielberg
As I left the Regal Metropolitan Tuesday night, I heard lots of happy JURASSIC PARK fans exclaiming variations of statements upon the freshly watched JURASSIC WORLD.

Motion Captured:
Review: Chris Pratt rides herd over uneven but fun 'Jurassic World'
THIS IS THE BEST OF THE SERIES SINCE THE FIRST ONE, BUT WHAT DOES THAT REALLY MEAN?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic World Franchise

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:25 pm

JURASSIC WORLD: Colin Trevorrow Talks Building a Foundation for Future Installments
He also discusses whether or not he'll direct another installment, how the Jurassic Word concept could potentially grow in the future, and plays save or kill.

How 'Jurassic Park' Revolutionized Visual Effects, Inspiring 'Jurassic World'
As the park reopens, THR looks back and forward with 'Park's' nine-time Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Dennis Muren and 'World' VFX supervisor Tim Alexander.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? YES!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Box Office: 'Jurassic World' Stomps to Record $204.6M U.S. Debut, $511.8M Globally
The tentpole easily scores the top worldwide opening in history — including north of $100 million in China — and at least the second biggest debut ever in the U.S.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? Yup!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:36 am

so anyone go see it? I had stuff going on all weekend so I haven't been yet. Will go this week.

Everyone I talk to says it's "fun." That's the word universally used. Some say other things, but mostly it's just that. I've heard a couple say that Chris Pratt really makes it enjoyable, others say the effects...haven't really heard anyone say the actual story. ;)

As apparently the only person on earth who thinks that Jurassic Park is pretty overrated, I'm not expecting much here, but I am expecting that it wont be boring.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion