Jurassic World - Can It Save The Franchise? Yup!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:29 am

busby wrote:Image

So that's what Kirk says to his snakes... "pwaaa, pwaaa, pwaaaa..." ... I always wondered what you had to do to get a snake to like you.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:36 am

...in a rare, un-rugged moment. All we need now is to animate the Cagle coming out...it kinda looks like he's spitting something out maybe...so the Cagle comes out then. I dunno.

Let's do the time warp again...
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:38 am

Looks like he's chewing on a Cagle...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kortanaskew on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Sicne JP3 it's been discovered that most Dinosaurs had feathers.

For an accurate Description of what Dinosaurs in JP4 should look like,
Please take a look at this conceptual drawing..

kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby raasnio on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:47 pm

Holy crap!! That is freaky...
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:36 pm

where's snuffleufagus?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:49 am

kortanaskew wrote:Sicne JP3 it's been discovered that most Dinosaurs had feathers.

For an accurate Description of what Dinosaurs in JP4 should look like,
Please take a look at this conceptual drawing..

Nice work, hombre.
Showed your Bigbirdasaurus to my daughter...she's recovering nicely, thank you.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Jonathan Adams on Wed May 03, 2006 12:12 am

Hey people.

First post, hope to be a regular here.

I seem to be thinking a lot about JP4 lately. Its still a mystery as to weather or not it will actually go ahead, and in the wake of King Kong its possible studios may be concerned that audiences have become dino-jaded...which is quite possibly the case. Still, I'd love to see a fresh take on the world the Jurassic films were built on, and Spielberg's wacky but awsome-sounding idea for the fourth film sounds like it could be really cool if done right. I've heard that idea has been thrown out, but I'm not sure if thats official. In truth, if the series were to go ahead it would need that kind of wacky rejuvination. I'm totally up for it.

To illustrate, I've put together a little fan teaser just for shits and giggles. I used footage from the first three films, and some footage from a film I'm making atm. Its not epic and obviously there are no new CG dinos, but maybe it will get you excited at the possibility of another movie.

Quicktime: http://omeekron.hopto.org/movies/jurassicparkiv.mov

Windows Media: http://omeekron.hopto.org/movies/jurassicparkiv.wmv

MOD EDIT - Fixed your links - Gaffney
Last edited by Jonathan Adams on Wed May 03, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 03, 2006 12:19 am

Welcome to the Zone Jonathan Adams.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jonathan Adams on Wed May 03, 2006 12:31 am

Thank you very much Leckomaniac

Why won't the links paste properly? A space keeps appearing before the last character...still works if you take out the space, but its annoying...
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed May 03, 2006 12:48 am

If you want to post a link...try this.

Instead of doing a quick reply, try hitting the "post reply" button. And then, follow the instructions that they give you about posting a url. Its quite simple, just hit the url button and then past the url and then hit the url button again.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jonathan Adams on Wed May 03, 2006 1:16 am

[url]http://omeekron.hopto.org/movies/jurassicparkiv.mov

http://omeekron.hopto.org/movies/jurassicparkiv.wmv
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Jonathan Adams on Wed May 03, 2006 1:17 am

I don't know what you mean. I always use the "post reply" button, and there are no instructions for postring urls.s There's a url button, but I don't understand what it does.

Not to worry, those who really want to watch the trailer will just have to siffer through adding on a "v" to the end of the link :)
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed May 03, 2006 1:42 am

Jonathan Adams wrote:I don't know what you mean. I always use the "post reply" button, and there are no instructions for postring urls.s There's a url button, but I don't understand what it does.

Not to worry, those who really want to watch the trailer will just have to siffer through adding on a "v" to the end of the link :)

Try this...

Code: Select all
[url]http://www.apple.com/trailers/your_trailer_here.mov[/url]
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby fredjack on Wed May 03, 2006 1:46 am

Just wondering if my login works
fredjack
GLIB

Postby Adam Balm on Wed May 03, 2006 2:28 am

It works, but we're not fond of folks from Omaha around here. So be careful.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RadioXtatic on Wed May 03, 2006 1:48 pm

I'd like a new take on Jurassic Park, but not in the sense of injecting "crazy" ideas into it. Jurassic Park 3, IMO, is an abomination of cinema. I actually enjoyed it at first but the more I think about it, the more stupid it gets. I'm thinking something more along the lines of... horror, perhaps. Something to make the dinosaurs scary. We're talking about audiences becoming desensitized with dinosaurs; well, why not change them up a bit and direct them with not CGI in mind, but with flavor. Instead of huge, epic shots of Rexes or Spinos ripping crap apart, hide them. Make their appearances unexpected, artful, scary. Spielberg had the exact right idea in introducing the Rex in the original, but I feel that could be taken to even higher extents in more extreme circumstances.

Just my two cents. I want another JP movie to come out, be awesome, and clean up the mess made by JP3 and parts of The Lost World.
RadioXtatic
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby unikrunk on Wed May 03, 2006 1:58 pm

Dino-Ninjas

/that speak...Aramaic
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jonathan Adams on Wed May 03, 2006 9:19 pm

I absolutely agree with radioXstatic. Jaws is still as effective today as it was in 1975, and that is due to Spielberg's restraint in showing us the shark. Its somethign I've learnt making low budget films, that audiences are just as scared by the IDEA of a presence as they are by an actual presence. It also serves to generate a sense of mystery about whatever it may be... the audience will be begging to see it, but you never let them, until the time is right.

I think Spielberg's idea sounds wacky on paper, but with the right director it could be very compelling...science fiction, but still grounded in the world of the other three films.
Jonathan Adams
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:49 am

Neill Not Involved with Jurassic Park 4
Source: LA Daily News
March 8, 2007

Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III star Sam Neill tells the LA Daily News that he's not involved with Jurassic Park 4.

"I know nothing about it. I haven't heard from anyone," says the actor, who played Dr. Alan Grant in the films. He adds that any reports that say he is attached to star are false.

The last news about the Universal sequel was that Joe Johnston would return to direct the film, written by The Departed screenwriter William Monahan. Johnston helmed the third installment of the franchise.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 am

Wasn't Keira Knightley involved at one point? Or was that just another one from the rumor mill...
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Dark Knight on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 am

Why do I keep thinking universal is gonna go direct to video on this? I mean I know Joe Johnston is a B/C+ level director but still.....
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 pm

One of the few memories I have of being a child is going to see Jurassic Park when it first came out at my local UCI cinema (now an Odeon). I remember how much it enthralled me, how I was amazed and believed dinosaurs could once again roam the world. In later years, I grew to appreciate the style and how Spielberg did such a good job of bringing the story to life. I also read the original novel by Michael Crichton and found it to be much more interesting than the film - but yet it didn't take anything away from the enjoyment I still felt watching it.

The Lost World was an interesting follow-up, but very flawed. Though some will disagree with me here, I think the first half of the film works just fine. The story is quickly set up, the characters updated and we get to the island quickly and with purpose. The new musical score is quite cool and the effects (once we see them) have not become dated. It's only after the incredibly tense over-the-cliff moment (breaking glass!! breaking glaaass!!) that the film suddenly seems to start meandering without purpose. And the ending involving a T-Rex in the city is frankly laughable, spoiling what has gone before for me.

I really looked forward to Jurassic Park III because I'd dreamt up a few ideas of my own on how a potential trilogy could be wrapped up. I also had high hopes of this one correcting the mistakes the previous film had made. A darker tone was in order, something not PG rated, a frightening film that would be the 'adult' entry in the franchise. Instead, we ended up with a film that not only looked straight-to-video (the effects are awful) but had the storyline of a straight-to-video release too. All in all, it's a big disappointment - even if the Raptor face-off near the end stems from an interesting idea (still not fully realised in the final film).

So where to now? There's been rumours for years of a final Jurassic Park movie, Spielberg even mentioning that he would get to it once Indy IV was out of the way. But how can the franchise recover from Jurassic Park III? I'm sure that it could be done, but all rumours surrounding a fourth installment have been most disturbing - more dinos on the mainland, raptors being trained as policeman (no, seriously), all basically really warped and bizarre ideas. Should Crichton be brought aboard to write the storyline? Maybe going back to the start and showing more of the pre-amble to the original film could work?

Recently, I've re-watched all three of the Jurassic Park movies and the only conclusion I can come to is this - a fourth film would have to be wildly different in terms of the story, it would have to be very dark and unsettling and it would have to include none of the original cast. This is the only way it can possibly become something fresh that doesn't follow the mould of the other two sequels. Many people I'm sure would say leaving it at just three movies would be the best route, but I'm not convinced. I think there's other places to go with the scenario, I just don't know who would be bold enough to go there without rehashing the originals.

One idea alone springs to mind whenever I consider a fourth film - the second island is quarantined and the Costa Rican government has declared it off-limits, as we know. That means the dinosaurs there are left to live naturally in a self-contained ecosystem. But what about the original Jurassic Park itself? Nobody has been near the place since the incident. Perhaps a storyline involving the Costa Rican government deciding to destroy the island whilst leaving Isla Sorna intact could work. One natural preserve for the dinosaurs is enough and Isla Nubular is considered uneccessary. This could give rise to an expedition to neutralise the island. I don't know how interesting that could be playing out on the big screen, but it's the only idea that I can think of.

So what do you think? How could a fourth Jurassic Park film not only revitalise the franchise but also be vastly different enough to justify its existence?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Heh, you predicted it. The beginning of The Lost World was a rushed mess. It was terrible. The exposition was mind numbing... I remember when I saw it I was pretty much open-mouthed with the horrendous dialogue and reaction that Malcom gave to the news of another island.

The rest of the movie tried to recover and had some good scenes (the long grass, those little dino's), but suffered from comedy character syndrome and just generally trying too hard. OK, it's a bit old now, but even the entire hunting expedition scene felt empty, many shots completely eschewing dino's completely.

Jurassic Park 3 was one of those first big movie sequels that suffered from a general flimsy, almost made-for-tv feel. The grandeur was only felt in one scene for me, the pterodactly section. T3 felt the same way.

AANYWAY... the fourth film is meant to be genetically engineered intelli-dino's from what we last heard. Real b-movie schlock. Personally I think it needs to be left well alone unless they hit on some real gold in the idea of pulling things from the past into the now.

Absolutely no offence, but critically I have to say your idea is a retread... and an unnecessary one at that.

I'd rather see them spend the money on Caddilacs and Dinosaurs.
Last edited by AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:07 pm

I thought JP3 Was far better than 2.

3 gave me, personally, what I wanted out of two. MORE DINOS. And it brought back Grant.. my favorite character from the first one.

3 gave us the dinos well settled in their natural setting, and the eco system was all set up, so having the foolish humans truly out classed.

Not only that, but the very brief T Rex vs Spinosaur battle brought a tear to my eye when I first watched it. There is a bit of magic in JP3 and all I could ask for is more of that for a part 4.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 7:08 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:Absolutely no offence, but critically I have to say your idea is a retread... and an unnecessary one at that.

It pretty much is, yeah. The best I can come up with...which could be an indication of there being no way to revive the franchise succesfully. I'm still interested to hear people's ideas though. Someone must have a good one!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Never saw TLW, but JPIII had some great ideas that were never fully realized. I still love the giant bird cage with all the pterodactyls in it, but that ending! Let's all just run out onto the beach and get saved by the army. Rubbish.

What about a full-on reboot? Too soon? I think I'd need it to wash JPIII out of my head, and also the spectacular awfulness of Laura Dern. Is it possible to overact more than she did in the first movie?
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 7:12 pm

I heard too,that in the fourth movie some Dino/Human/Gene/Clone stuff is brewing,AICN had a story up some years ago,with the draft they have been working on.
Something with an Cop and some Dino/Human soldier dudes who go against the Company which stole the "Genetic" code from Hammond.....
It has been a long time since I read that,but it was something like that.....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 7:14 pm

travis-dane wrote:I heard too,that in the fourth movie some Dino/Human/Gene/Clone stuff is brewing,AICN had a story up some years ago,with the draft they have been working on.
Something with an Cop and some Dino/Human soldier dudes who go against the Company which stole the "Genetic" code from Hammond.....
It has been a long time since I read that,but it was something like that.....

I saw that, too. Raptors with machine guns strapped to their freakin' heads or some shit. Pfft. Reboot, my friend. Reboot.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:16 pm

This is what the NEXT JP should be....

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Zarles wrote:Reboot, my friend. Reboot.

After re-watching the films recently and re-reading the original novel, I think doing a more faithful adaptation of the book for an adult audience would be much more interesting.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 7:16 pm

I think the reason that fourth film has sunk without a trace is simply because, well, there's not much else you can do with the franchise. The central idea makes for one or two good movies, then it creeps out of the bounds of realism once you've written yourself into the "world knows" corner.

I always find the best parts of any serial are when the secret is undiscovered, and then when that secret is blown it's just not the same anymore and the wind goes out of the sails. Like the Superman TV series, the post- leyland Twin Peaks... that kind of thing.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 7:16 pm

bastard_robo wrote:This is what the NEXT JP should be....

haha! I'm sure I had some of them when I was a kid :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Also, the last post in the Struggling Filmmakers Forum was by someone named Muldoon. Coincidence? :shock:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:This is what the NEXT JP should be....

haha! I'm sure I had some of them when I was a kid :D

Im still waiting for this movie to come to fruition...
Last edited by bastard_robo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby doglips on Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 pm

As long as they manage to fit in the Carnotaurus ( chameleon abilities! badass! ) from the second book I'd be happy. They need to explore a broader range of creatures too.

An under water segment with Ichthyosaurs / Plesiosaurs / Elasmosaurs would be cool.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 7:22 pm

I'd like to add that essentially whilst rather cartoonish, when I refer to realism I mean there's a semblance of the real world in JP. The main characters have to outfox the creatures using their wits, and at the end the island is still this place of mystery. JP2 blew that mystery out of the window by the end. JP3 didn't have the wherewithal to follow it up and ended up being a smaller move, whether that makes it arguably a better movie I've no idea, but ultimately the third should've dealt with the aftermath of that.

If anything, JP4 would have to be quite an all-encompssing movie to actually do the first and second justice. You can't keep repeating the small group of people. Some kind of big disaster... in the book the Lost World the creatures make it onto the mainland, with dino's running across South America.

It'd have to deal with the loss of containment, maybe military application of the technology... I can see where they're going with the trained dino thing but it's almost too far-fetched, which is probably why it's gone underground.

The introduction of new predators to S/A could be something.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 7:23 pm

doglips wrote:As long as they manage to fit in the Carnotaurus ( chameleon abilities! badass! ) from the second book I'd be happy.

I'd forgotten about those guys! Predator meets Jurassic Park :D

Both the sequels used ideas from the original book that the first film didn't, so I don't see why the second book can't be mined a bit.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Here is the script review I was talking about....

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18166

Thanks to Havoc!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sat May 17, 2008 7:24 pm

travis-dane wrote:Here is the script review I was talking about....

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18166

Thanks to Havoc!

Cheers mate!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 7:25 pm

doglips wrote:As long as they manage to fit in the Carnotaurus ( chameleon abilities! badass! ) from the second book I'd be happy. They need to explore a broader range of creatures too.

An under water segment with Ichthyosaurs / Plesiosaurs / Elasmosaurs would be cool.

Yeah, that bit was crazy! I guess they didn't have the tech at the time to handle it. That bit in the book was frightening.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Sat May 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
Zarles wrote:Reboot, my friend. Reboot.

After re-watching the films recently and re-reading the original novel, I think doing a more faithful adaptation of the book for an adult audience would be much more interesting.

This might be insane, but getting M. Night Shymalan to adapt the novel and Spielberg to direct might be interesting. Of course, it might also suck the chrome off a bumper.

Remember when people were calling M. Night the next Spielberg? Heh.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Which sequel was the Kong ripoff?
If it was 2 then i haven't seen the third one.

Either way, fuck calling the next one Jurassic Park IV.
It should be called GIANT DINOSAURS WITH LAZERS/LASERS.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat May 17, 2008 7:29 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
doglips wrote:As long as they manage to fit in the Carnotaurus ( chameleon abilities! badass! ) from the second book I'd be happy. They need to explore a broader range of creatures too.

Yeah, that bit was crazy! I guess they didn't have the tech at the time to handle it. That bit in the book was frightening.

Heheh, quoting myself here...

The only thing here is that we're listing out action sequences. I guess what was interesting about JP, and to a lesser extent JP2, was that it has this intelligent backbone to it which was lost in the third. The third was just an extended chase sequence. At least Spielberg has the sense and respect to the source material to deal with implications - the first, particularly the book, dealt in not just rampaging dino's but conflicting theories, the mathematics of chaos (those diagrams were cool), conflicting personalities... The second did this less so, but it was still there...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Sat May 17, 2008 7:30 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:Which sequel was the Kong ripoff?

Ahem....

Image[/quote]
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 7:32 pm

bastard_robo wrote:

Ahem....

[/quote]

FUCK,bastard! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
funky....
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 17, 2008 7:33 pm

bastard_robo wrote:

Ahem....

Yeah, but you didn't give it a title.

Unless you think it should be called Dino Riders.
Sounds too much like Lemon Party though.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 17, 2008 7:35 pm

King Of Nowhere wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:

Ahem....

Yeah, but you didn't give it a title.

Unless you think it should be called Dino Riders.
Sounds too much like Lemon Party though.

How about JURASSIC LAZER DINO RIDERS!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Lazers or no lazers, it still sounds like the old guy's getting shafted.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby doglips on Sat May 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Fuck Dino Riders, I'd rather have a ZOIDS movie.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion