TRON LEGACY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Tron: Legacy

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 pm

??????????

Account hacked? Ironic Tron in-joke?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Tron: Legacy

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:56 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:??????????

Account hacked? Ironic Tron in-joke?

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: TRON LEGACY

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:06 pm

It does, unfortunately, look like many other films. The computer world no longer looks as if it is made of light. It looks solid. I can't imagine the solar sailing ship in the world created for this sequel. It makes sense, though, given the changes in computer graphics over 30 years. I want to see this. Believe it or not, I feel an attachment to Kevin Flynn.

"Like the man said - no problems, only solutions."
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm

I watched TRON last night and this evening. Considering it contains a number of extremely talented actors, it's not very well-acted. I suspect that's a function of the script, which is the movie's weak point. The situations are handled competently but much of the dialogue is stiff. I hope Lisberger didn't inspire too much in that department for the new film.

"Greetings, programs!"
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby justcheckin on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:51 pm

yes...

yes....

no...

yes...

yes...

no...

yes...

yes yes yes yes yes...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:41 pm

I have the special edition dvd (probably the only edition, but whatever) and watched the making of last week. I think its actually longer than the movie itself. Its a fantastic watch though, very interesting and well made document of the production. My fiance rolled her eyes a bit when she asked what I had been up to and I said "watching the making of TRON" but what the hey.

I know the first film aint the greatest movie ever, but I dig it a hell of a lot, and it doesnt seem to diminish in my eyes the way a lot of my old childhood faves do. I guess its more of an artistic element for me than the acting and what have you. I just love the look completely and utterly. Very interested in the new one, and it looks like the a lot of love and effort is going into the production if nothing else.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:25 am

I only watched Tron for the first time about 2-3 years ago, and I thought it was swell. People who complain about it are just self-important contrarian lame-os!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I only watched Tron for the first time about 2-3 years ago, and I thought it was swell. People who complain about it are just self-important contrarian lame-os!

No, we just know the difference between a film and a video game. I'd rather you just Admin'd a computer game forum from now on.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby justcheckin on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I only watched Tron for the first time about 2-3 years ago, and I thought it was swell. People who complain about it are just self-important contrarian lame-os!

what what whaaaaaaaat?

What kind of movie geek are you?
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Have you visited the main page TRON TBs? They're filled with people who seem to believe the movie was among the best of the year. Gee-zus.
DennisMM

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:25 am

the latest trailer for this moved the film up on my anticipameter, and i wonder if doing the character for "Crazy Heart" had any effect on Bridges with his work in this movie...but i like the grizzled vibe i get from him here, like some mountain man who has been out in the wilderness for years...which is quite a contrast to the slick, shiny, digital environment he is in....i definitely like it

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:04 am

I disagree.

Instead of the computer environment looking more advanced in it's computer settings, it just now looks too more on the real wold side. Yeah you could argue 'Oh well Mac Snow Leopard graphics look more real than the Commodore Vic-20 did at the time' but that's too easy, I still don't hand over my hard earned monthly free pass to get to look inside the alien computer world just to find out it looks too much like our own. You may as well not bother if that's gonna be the way you want things to look.

I was just hoping for something along the lines of the original Tron, but just developed say, a hundred times more of that look. Ironic, that to think of all the things that computer technology can do to make a computer graphic look like a real life image, that they can't make their own computer graphics (how they want us to see them as) look more visually amazing and advanced.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:13 am

i agree that the look of the digital world is a little disappointing, for now, but who knows what it will look like in 3-D on the big screen, could improve. still, it looks like there is much more to the movie than just its look, which the original couldn't really say.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:51 am

I think they had to be careful not to make the Tronworld look like the visuals from Lawnmower Man (which is what the Tron 2.0 PC game kinda did).

Some of the shots look like modern revisions of the 80s visuals. Others, I agree, look a bit like something from The Matrix nightclub. Although it's doubtful the visuals are in a finished state.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 am

Fried Gold wrote:Others, I agree, look a bit like something from The Matrix nightclub. Although it's doubtful the visuals are in a finished state.

I disagree. They're done. And too real. Now if I wanna go and see a girl in black latex leggings - do you know of a local London nightclub where such kink chicks hang out, FG? Anyone?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Others, I agree, look a bit like something from The Matrix nightclub. Although it's doubtful the visuals are in a finished state.

I disagree. They're done. And too real.

I don't know if it's "too real" particularly, but perhaps just not as fantastical or "digital" as we think they should be.

Now if I wanna go and see a girl in black latex leggings - do you know of a local London nightclub where such kink chicks hang out, FG? Anyone?

Not in London, no.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

I disagree. They're done. And too real.

I don't know if it's "too real" particularly, but perhaps just not as fantastical or "digital" as we think they should be.

Now if I wanna go and see a girl in black latex leggings - do you know of a local London nightclub where such kink chicks hang out, FG? Anyone?

Not in London, no.

I disagree. You've been spotted exiting such an establishment. Check Hello magazine.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:29 pm

I didn't expect it to look like the first film. Thank heaven it doesn't - that wouldn't bring across what's implied in the trailer, that the world has been bent to Flynn's view of what it should be. If I lived in that server for twenty years, I would shape it and change it. I do wish it looked more like the original, though - minus the B&W and the Roman togas and helmets.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:40 pm

I got sent one of the Encom ID badges (even though I didn't ask for one...I guess they just used the details I had to give for the trailer screening)

Anyways, there is a return address on the envelope: PO BOX 236 San Diego, CA 92101 - I assume this will have something to do with Comic-Con.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

How a real fan-boy film should be made. Original Tron movie trailer as it would be released today.

Not a bad editing job I did on that I must say. Only took me 3 hours.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:12 am

Love the music and the colors man.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 03, 2010 4:59 am

Screen Rant's Extended Tron Legacy Trailer (Remix)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri May 07, 2010 3:02 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:16 pm

John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:11 pm

wish i had a nice 72" LED to play that

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Anyone bothered to play

http://www.spaceparanoidsonline.com/

Yet?

It's really quite good fun in a Battlezone kinda way.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Tron swag coming this Christmas:
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:58 am

It sounds like they are really putting a lot of care into this thing. Getting Brad Bird and David Fincher to give you notes is pretty awesome.

I actually just saw the original a few months ago for the first time. I liked it, there wasn't much plot or character stuff beyond the first twenty minutes, it was just action for the most part so for me it kinda ran out of steam before it ended, but I thought it was neat movie and this one looks like there's more story going on with the whole father-son thing.

I'm really stoked for this movie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:34 pm

Whoa, we're getting a Comic-Con trailer the day it premiered?

*checks outside for meteors*
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Did Hell just freeze

omg did Sarah Palin get elected!!!

shit!

all kidding aside that looks cool
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Interesting stuff. Getting a hint of the storyline now. Seemed to be more stock music though, no sign of Daft Punk (or Wendy Carlos).

I'm assuming that some of it will need getting a few more trips to the render farm before it's released in December.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Interesting stuff. Getting a hint of the storyline now. Seemed to be more stock music though, no sign of Daft Punk (or Wendy Carlos).

I'm assuming that some of it will need getting a few more trips to the render farm before it's released in December.

That does look really REALLY cool now. Let's hope the story holds up.

I love the young Bridges. Looks awesome.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Interesting stuff. Getting a hint of the storyline now. Seemed to be more stock music though, no sign of Daft Punk (or Wendy Carlos).

Im pretty sure the score in the trailer is ALL daft punk.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:43 pm

You can hear samples of six tracks here.
After the intro loads,a player pops up in the upper right corner under the search bar.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:16 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:You can hear samples of six tracks here.
After the intro loads,a player pops up in the upper right corner under the search bar.

I can only see three tracks, but still cool. (I may have already ripped the mp3s out of the flash file already....)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:24 pm

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:16 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:No matter.
All six can be heard here.

A HUGE Big thanks for that link. Awesome find.

Track 1: A little too dynamic for a chase scene. Almost early computing era.
Track 2: Anyone think of 'The thing' whilst listening? Or Maybe Dune?
Track 3: X files, all over.
Track 4: Possibly the best out of all of them. Track 3 was the exposition and 4 developed the theme into more of an orchestral score. The strings helped emphasise the main tune with some nice base lines in the background.
Track 5: A much better version of the previous track with a better combination of modern and classical instruments used in such a way to create nostalgia and something which, not quite new, but certainly interesting.
Track 6: I enjoyed this more than the other tunes (a little more than track 5). It develops the motif a little further, although short but it's far more interesting after listening to the other 5 tracks; maybe that's the point?. I liked the development in the basic motif to this point.

My one problem with the score, based solely on these parts and not on the entire score, is nothing is new. By the order, they seem to have been structured in such a way that it's gone from 80's synth through to classic 'romantic' scores.

I started writing about how cheap I thought it was that it went from almost 80's music through to a modern musical score but I stopped and edited for the simple reason is that if it did follow the progression the way game music advanced, that would be pretty awesome. Admittedly, it's a little obvious but if you think in terms of film scores, it's pretty cool. I just hope they drag it that next bit forward musically.

I can understand the use of Daft punk, but if are able to thematically move the music through to something new - I'm thinking like Liszt and 'Les Preludes' then I'll be very happy.

So far, the score is pretty sweet, albeit a little basic.

P.S I don't mean to be picky.

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:08 pm

Tron Legacy Theatrical Trailer 3 (From Comic Con 2010)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby judderman on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:34 am

It's funny, when I heard score #2, I kept hearing this. And this

Is anyone familiar with the relationship between Tron and cyberpunk lit? We always associate Blade Runner with cyberpunk, but how much did Tron influence cyberspace? It's maddening, because Tron, Blade Runner and Burning Chrome all came out in the same year. Was it coincidence? Or were they all influenced by Syd Mead/Moebius?
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:54 am

From The NY Times:
Marketing ‘Tron: Legacy’ Brings the Hardest Sell Yet
BROOKS BARNES wrote:By the time the movie arrives in theaters in December, Walt Disney Studios will have spent three and a half years promoting it.

SAN DIEGO — The futuristic movie “Tron: Legacy” is not just pushing the boundaries of special effects. It is redefining the Hollywood hard sell.

By the time the movie arrives in theaters on Dec. 17, Walt Disney Studios will have spent three and a half years priming the audience pump. The most recent push came last week at Comic-Con International, the annual pop culture convention here. For the third year in a row, Disney teased fans with exclusive “Tron: Legacy” footage. No other movie has guest-starred here so often.

“We’re going to show you five minutes of the movie every year for 20 years,” the comedian Patton Oswalt said as he introduced a third trailer for the film to about 6,500 people on Thursday.

The selling and selling (and selling) of “Tron: Legacy” is the Hollywood marketing machine in its highest gear yet. Marketing campaigns for what the industry calls “tent-pole” movies — big budget, big risk, big potential payoff — have traditionally started about a year before their release in theaters. Increasingly, that is scarcely enough time.

With DVRs undermining the No. 1 tool for promoting movies — television commercials — studios are trying to create Internet brush fires on behalf of their coming releases. One variant is a controlled burn: carefully doling out bits of information over months and years.

Lead time also makes a big difference when it comes to breaking through the advertising clutter and competing entertainment options. In a post-“Avatar” world, the goal at the multiplex is to make movies feel like must-attend events; longer campaigns can help achieve that.

At the same time, the risk for motion picture studios is bigger than ever. Special effects movies like “Tron: Legacy” can easily cost more than $350 million to develop, produce and market. A studio does not want to release a behemoth like that without a megawatt campaign.

The studio first decided to “activate” core fans, Mr. Bailey said. Disney unveiled a “Tron: Legacy” teaser trailer at Comic-Con in July 2008. Over the next year, Disney released more video, introduced an ambitious online game and fed bloggers a steady drip of news.

In July 2009 at Comic-Con, Disney introduced a walk-through experience (lots of vintage arcade games) and a Twitter-enabled scavenger hunt through the streets of downtown San Diego. A second “Tron: Legacy” trailer appeared with “Alice in Wonderland” in March.

Last week, the studio built an even more elaborate walk-through experience that recreated sets from the movie and attracted over 7,000 visitors over three days. Disney also released a third trailer. On the convention floor, Disney gave people a peek at the coming merchandising storm: talking action figures with digitally projected faces, iPod accessories, Adidas sneakers inspired by “Tron: Legacy,” and clothing.

With the core audience on board — the online game now has about 4.5 million active users — Disney is turning its attention to the people who make the difference between a hit and a blockbuster: mothers, children and nontechnophiles.

The monorail at Walt Disney World got a “Tron: Legacy” makeover. The Disney XD cable channel will present an animated mini-series in the fall (followed by a regular series, to be announced). Most important, Mr. Bailey and his studio colleagues are working to hammer home the message that “Tron: Legacy” is more than a chase through a virtual world.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 pm

i have been oblivious to most of that giant marketing campaign.......but the latest trailer, up over at Applequicktime if you like high quality, looks SWEET. i'm in

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:59 am

Peven wrote:i have been oblivious to most of that giant marketing campaign.......but the latest trailer, up over at Applequicktime if you like high quality, looks SWEET. i'm in

Your first post in this thread was 27th July 2008, so you cant have been that oblivious to the marketing........ :wink:
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:15 am

I'm not sure I like Synch Bridges' facial movements, although it looks real enough, the movements seem wrong.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 am

Hermanator X wrote:
Peven wrote:i have been oblivious to most of that giant marketing campaign.......but the latest trailer, up over at Applequicktime if you like high quality, looks SWEET. i'm in

Your first post in this thread was 27th July 2008, so you cant have been that oblivious to the marketing........ :wink:

Also, Buckminster posted the HD trailer link a week ago.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:08 am

Hermanator X wrote:

ok, read my post again....it says I was oblivious to "most of"....the marketing...and that means i was aware of some

.........it really gets tiresome having to go back and explain the syntax of my posts just because people want to try to nitpick

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:09 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

Also, Buckminster posted the HD trailer link a week ago.

i was oblivious to that...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Peven wrote:
Hermanator X wrote:

ok, read my post again....it says I was oblivious to "most of"....the marketing...and that means i was aware of some

.........it really gets tiresome having to go back and explain the syntax of my posts just because people want to try to nitpick

I did use a winky, and I wasnt trying to nit pick really, in my mind anyway. I suppose I wondered what you meant by "most" of the ad campaign passing you by. I thought it an interesting comment thats all. How much do you need to be exposed too for it to have done its job? (This is to peeps in general not just you incase you challenge me to a disc duel or something)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm

after reading through the article it struck me how much of the marketing campaign I had not seen or been a part of experiencing. the whole point of the article is how much and early this movie has been pushed by the studio, using it as an example of the direction he industry is going, and yet i have been relatively unaware of its scope, being that the majority of what i know about the movie has been from what i have seen here.

personally i think it is a enormous waste of money spent trying to court a minority of the moviegoing public who are as fickle and hard to please as a spoiled teenage girl. yes, i am talking about the whole "comic/movie-geek" crowd in general. Avatar didn't need a 3 year lead time to promote in order to be a huge success, it wasn't people who post on boards like this that made it a success, it was everyday "normal" people who still don't even know exactly what the fuck ComicCon is that made it over a billion $. and those people were unaware of Avatar until about 6-9 months before it opened. i would have thought that "Snakes on a Plane" would have taught Hollywood that no matter how enthusiastic, or whiny, the geek crowd may be they are a minor demographic in how well movies perform at the box office. or better, X3, since the geek-meter was so negative toward that movie leading up to its opening and yet it outperformed both 1 and 2 money-wise.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion