TRON LEGACY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: TRON LEGACY

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah thats all very true, and the people who make up the majority really dont care or notice stuff until it is out. Avatar is a good example. A friend of mine, who goes to the movies fairly frequently, but is in no way shape or form a geek. Said hed been to see avatar, and I asked if he enjoyed the 3d. His reply? "Oh I didnt realise it was in 3d as well." :lol:

Im sure I can ask a shitload of people what they think of the sequel to Tron coming out, and they will probably just give me a blank "whuh?" in response.
But on the plus of the campaigns side, directly or indirectly (ie Peven) the word is getting out there. I just dont think its as pervasive as the studios like to think.
I dunno, marketing isnt my strong suit. It confuses me how it drives so much of the economy. I feel that im immune to it, but am I really? I dont click on links to buy stuff on a whim, just cos its there in an ad on a webpage, and I dont know many who do. And how this makes google etc as rich as it does confuses me greatly.
Im losing my thread a little here, but hopefully it makes some sense..... (getting the evils and need to go change a dirty nappy)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:05 pm

selling, man, its all about the selling. at least that is what a salesman will tell you

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Well...I'm part of this "minority" you're talking about who's followed the viral marketing for this (and gotten some free stuff and a showing as a result) and I've been telling people about the film as a result - people who either didn't know about it at all or people who have just gotten more interested.

So I imagine that particular part of the marketing strategy has been worth it. And they've got an established fanbase built up, months (years even) before the release of the film itself just from internet marketing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:56 pm

i am sure there is an effect, i just don't think it is worth the amount of money the article alludes to the studios spending, and i think if they just concentrated the same amount of money, or less, in the 6-9 months leading up to a movie's release they could succeed in bringing at least as many people to the theatres. for instance, i am betting the money they have spent on you didn't alter your plans on seeing the movie, they already had you in the bank. sure, its good for you, you are a fan and getting prizes and a screening is great but a needless expense for the studio. a smarter more effective use of that money would have been to somehow get those prizes and screening tickets to those who wouldn't necessarily go see this movie otherwise

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:40 pm

The only part I can see that mentions costs is:

"...$350 million to develop, produce and market."

Which is a)spread over 2-3 years, b) not extraordinary for this time of affair and c) not all assigned to online marketing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Tron Legacy is an interesting example, but probably not a great test case for film marketing as I see it generally as a one-off. The clip that I saw at SDCC 2008 always struck me as purely a test case. It was even presented as such. It was a relatively small part of the general Disney Hall H panel. That clip had little to do with the film itself as it stands today, with the exception of Bridges, it was, I've always thought, primarily a feasibility study to see what a new Tron would look like and if people would be excited about it given that it has been 150 years since "Tron" came out and the visuals have, understandably, aged very poorly. I'm not even sure if Tron Legacy was formally greenlit at that point.

And the clip blew up online, which helped to justify production. From the filmmakers standpoint I think they would probably see the net result as success regardless of what the film does at the box office at this point.

Film marketing is a fickle creature. Some things work on a given project and don't on the next, there is no surefire method of success or everyone would do it.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:53 pm

An article has popped up in the guardian bashing a similar drum.
But I think its a little on the heavy side, and takes (to me) a fairly libelous (sic*) view of a certain mr Knowles.
Its someone getting close to the truth of the matter, but still wildly off the mark. Basically an opportunity to blast the likes of us who post on these type of forums.
But some of the comments below the article make me very thankful for the zone.

*too tired to spell check
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:25 am

i think that is a pretty fair article, though obviously written by an outsider looking in. i think he hits the nail right on the head as far as harry is concerned, i don't even see any controversy in his characterization, as the issue of a lack impartiality is an old one here and has been hashed out extensively. i think Mori is just as guilty of that, too. just read his attempt to help promote the Green Hornet in his articles over at HitFix for a very recent example. anyone who pays attention sees that giving these guys access and schwag will ensure a positive word to help bolster the opening weekend. sure, the review might end up being less than enthusiastic, but even a poor review will be written gently, and the fact is the months of positive/optimistic set reports leading up to the release is what the director/studio is looking for to get people in the seats for opening weekend. this shouldn't be any surprise to anyone, as the same problem exists with political journalism nowadays where access is controlled and meted out in a quid pro quo fashion and reporters know they better not ask the real tough questions if they want to continue to get a seat for an interview or get called on during a press conference.

i do think that the geek crowd has been given more influence than they deserve and that is not good for movies overall, wielding the kind of disproportional influence they now have. for example, good drama gets no support from them unless there are special fx involved or there is some tie-in to a comic book, oh excuse me, graphic novel.

i think showing some test footage back in '08 to see what the reaction would be is a smart use of the exposure at ComicCon. didn't cost a whole lot of $ and helped give the studio an idea of whether or not going further with the project was worth the risk. that sort of thing makes sense to me. once the movie is being made and there is no turning back then i think the studio should keep the fans where they belong during that part of the process; on the outside, waiting in suspense until the soup is done instead of letting them take a taste every step along the way to get approval, because you know what they say, too many cooks spoil the broth. it is too bad that so many in the ComicCon/geek crowd don't seem to "get" that at all.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:39 pm

Peven wrote:i think that is a pretty fair article, though obviously written by an outsider looking in.

Ryan Gilbey is far from an "outsider" in this context, what with him being a film critic and a writer for Sight & Sound.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Peven wrote:i think that is a pretty fair article, though obviously written by an outsider looking in.

Ryan Gilbey is far from an "outsider" in this context, what with him being a film critic and a writer for Sight & Sound.

yeah, but he doesn't strike me as someone who feels he is among the "geek" crowd he is writing about, that is what i meant

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Snow Apple on Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:22 am

Blah blah blah blah blah. This is what matters about neutron:

Garrett Hedlund
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:05 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:04 pm

I am already sold on this flick, no sneak peak necessary to rope me in. from here on out i am going to avoid seeing/reading anything about it so the experience can be as fresh as possible when i do see it in its full-length IMAX 3D glory

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Peven wrote:I am already sold on this flick, no sneak peak necessary to rope me in. from here on out i am going to avoid seeing/reading anything about it so the experience can be as fresh as possible when i do see it in its full-length IMAX 3D glory

Back when The Dark Knight came out I remember getting a ticket to an IMAX screening of the first 10 minutes. It was fun to be part of the experience of seeing something that no one else could see (for a few weeks) but ultimately it was a waste of time. Good marketing ploy though.

As far as this movie goes: I have yet to see a full length 3D IMAX movie. This might be the one to pop my cherry with.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:40 pm

the things that sucks for me is that where i live now, the boondocks of upstate ny, the closest IMAX theatre to me is the one on the north side of Syracuse about 90 minutes from here. i took my two youngest sons to see Speed Racer in 3D IMAX when i lived in metro Atlanta and it was sweet....even sweeter because when we were waiting in line to buy tickets some woman came up and gave me a ticket, saying, "my husband was supposed to meet me here to see this but he just called to say he changed his mind and i had already bought his ticket"

random acts of kindness are cool, especially when your kids can witness them :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby judderman on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Question: will this work?

I dunno. I can't believe Disney has invested so much capital in a project so risky; yes, it looks great and yes, Jeff Bridges is a draw and yes, the creative choices so far, from creating a digital Bridges to hiring Michael Sheen and Daft Punk, have been more than solid. The marketing campaign is one of the best I've ever seen- they've effectively woven the marketing into the movie's narrative.

But, Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World and Let Me In were all hits at Comic-Con, all received stellar critical notices, and all bombed. Disney could very well see some illusions flicker away come December.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:54 pm

apples and oranges. those three movies are "little" flicks with a relatively narrow demographic, not blockbuster material with wide appeal like Tron Legacy

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm

judderman wrote:Question: will this work?

I dunno. I can't believe Disney has invested so much capital in a project so risky; yes, it looks great and yes, Jeff Bridges is a draw and yes, the creative choices so far, from creating a digital Bridges to hiring Michael Sheen and Daft Punk, have been more than solid. The marketing campaign is one of the best I've ever seen- they've effectively woven the marketing into the movie's narrative.

But, Kick Ass, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World and Let Me In were all hits at Comic-Con, all received stellar critical notices, and all bombed. Disney could very well see some illusions flicker away come December.

Well, over the years Tron has developed into a pretty big cult hit. Probably with a bigger fanbase than either of those three things you just listed, but it's hard to gauge these things from our little Internet bubble.

But the other thing it has going for it financially is that it comes out in December in IMAX and 3D (and IMAX 3D), which might fill a void for some people whose first experience with IMAX or 3D (or IMAX 3D) was last year's Avatar.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby justcheckin on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:48 pm

I agree... I've been excited about Tron since I heard about it. A cult following for sure with anyone late 20s and older.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 am

Been meaning to post this for a while, this lightcycle was on display at the theater in Brighton, MI where I saw Scott Pilgrim.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:06 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Been meaning to post this for a while, this lightcycle was on display at the theater in Brighton, MI where I saw Scott Pilgrim.

That, my friend, is a pub trophy worth nicking.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Peven wrote:apples and oranges. those three movies are "little" flicks with a relatively narrow demographic, not blockbuster material with wide appeal like Tron Legacy

Tend to agree. Plus Tron is "shinier" than any of those three films. Which, sadly, makes a pretty big difference.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Arcade Aid is back - http://www.arcadeaid.com
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Arcade Aid is back - http://www.arcadeaid.com

AS much as I love that, and I WILL get at least 90%, those cryptic clues are just stupid.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:52 pm

papalazeru wrote:

AS much as I love that, and I WILL get at least 90%, those cryptic clues are just stupid.

You mean you haven't finished it yet?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

You mean you haven't finished it yet?

I keep guessing the most stupid answer in the world, and I get it. I'm clutching at straws when I do too but for some reason they are right.

Plus, there's no graphical reference, which would help, to the game.

papalazeru

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Some of us zoners are going to the preview on Thursday to see 23 minutes of this mighty beast of a movie. Let's hope it lives up to everything we're seeing.

papalazeru

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 pm

papalazeru wrote:Some of us zoners are going to the preview on Thursday to see 23 minutes of this mighty beast of a movie. Let's hope it lives up to everything we're seeing.

just don't come back and post any spoilery stuff

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Peven wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Some of us zoners are going to the preview on Thursday to see 23 minutes of this mighty beast of a movie. Let's hope it lives up to everything we're seeing.

just don't come back and post any spoilery stuff

don't listen to him, post all the spoliery stuff you want
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Peven on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 pm

that's about enough from you, Bloo :twisted:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby papalazeru on Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:37 am

Like the avatar preview, it's probably an FX driven 23 minutes so hopefully it won't spoil any of the plot. Anything we do post will be in spoilery tags.

papalazeru

Postby papalazeru on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:30 pm

I've just seen the preview. Who wants to touch me. I SAID WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME!!!

It was enjoyable, unfortunately nothing more.

The special effects looked sleek and interesting but I was let down by the blandness of it all. I went with Kirks and Fried Gold and the Little Ms, and we all left wondering on what the film would be like.

The 3D was all slow shots so we didn't have much of a chance to see if the fast motion worked well or not but I still noticed blurring, and we had good seats, near enough the best you could have in 3D, the best were taken by 2 Scottish guys. The 3D worked really well though.

Story-wise, we didn't get anymore than what was in the trailer but we did get a scene between Bridges and Jr, their first meeting, which was quite poignant.

Daft Punk does an excellent job on the music and throughout the different scenes we saw, it was consistently brilliant.

Alot of my hangups lie in the fact that the whole gaming world hasn't changed at all. It's the same old games just with better graphics and maybe that says something about modern games, the fact that they are eseentially the same. The graphics look sleeker with a slight twist on the original design but the colour schemes are blander than the original. I'm still dubious about how Jnr's story will progress without being more of the same of the original although the scenes we saw are disjointed but in chronological order it didn't instill us with passion for the film.

I'm going to sit on the fence of this for a bit longer....even longer than I already am.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Wot we done saw in the Tron Legacy preview (I don't think there's anything that spoilerish, as some of it can be found in the trailers, so don't worry too much):

- Sam in his shack with Bruce Broxleitner, which hinted that Sam was well off and had little to do with ENCOM other than playing a yearly prank on them.
- Sam going to the old Flynn's Arcade, finding his dad's old office (Boxleitner had supposedly been sent a pager message, which Sam assumes was sent by his dad...but I'm not sure judging by a later scene) and he gets digitised.
- Sam having arrived on The Grid is a bit befuddled, is rounded up with other digital vagrants and given an identity disc and outfit (in a scene not too dissimilar to various automobile adverts).
- Sam playing Disc War for the first time. He finds out he's facing a character who he remembers from an old toy he had as a kid.
- A scene titled "The Escape" where is Sam brakes out of the grid thanks to Olivia Wilde and her digital off-roader. She takes him to mountain retreat beyond the city.
- Sam meets his Dad, who is now apparently a senile digital buddha.

I thought the character building scenes were very well done. The VFX are really rather nice (although it doesn't look very "computery" if you sorta know what I mean). Garrett Hedlund looks like he can actually carry the movie. The 3D isn't massively over-done but I found that the screen was so full of the things going on that the 3D actually made it difficult to absorb it all. I may opt to see it in "2D".

Overall, I found the preview okay and I kinda really just want to see the film now.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Final trailer:

http://wdmp-wdsmp.rd.llnw.net/wdsmp/TRON/Trailer3/Tron_Tr3_720.mov
http://wdmp-wdsmp.rd.llnw.net/wdsmp/TRON/Trailer3/Tron_Tr3_1080.mov
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Final trailer:

http://wdmp-wdsmp.rd.llnw.net/wdsmp/TRON/Trailer3/Tron_Tr3_720.mov
http://wdmp-wdsmp.rd.llnw.net/wdsmp/TRON/Trailer3/Tron_Tr3_1080.mov

Yeesh that first CGI Bridges scene looked crappy!

Gotta very Matrix vibe from this (Tron even has its own "Trinity" girl!). Worth a look though...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 pm

this is going to be the best holiday movie season in years

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby judderman on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:13 pm

I'd like to see someone do a mashup of the three trailers; they're so similar that they would blend together really easily and we'd get a better idea of what's going on
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm intrigued by the implications of Bridges' line, "You have no idea." Is he referring to the speed at which relative time might pass inside the computer? If his perceptions remain at human levels, for Bridges thousands of years could have passed rather than 28.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 pm

I need to make some St. Louis friends. Between this and Harry Potter, it looks like a lonely moviegoing experience in my near future... (my wife is interested in neither of them)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bloo on Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:04 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I need to make some St. Louis friends. Between this and Harry Potter, it looks like a lonely moviegoing experience in my near future... (my wife is interested in neither of them)

Rogue if you weren't like 10 hours away I'd go with you, however methinks I'm closer to Dennis and The Butcher then anyone else (I'm only about 45 miles from the CO border)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:47 pm

In the TBs: WAAAAAHHH! The digital faces don't look real enough!

Some people need a dope slap.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:49 pm

DennisMM wrote:In the TBs: WAAAAAHHH! The digital faces don't look real enough!

A savage punt to the sack works better. A real attention getter, that.
Feels great too.
For some reason, successfully putting the boot in someone's South American dicktatorship invokes a strange reaction
of self satisfaction, pride and pure, disgraceful Malcom MacDowell in Clockwork Orange favored glee.
Let the wild man out.
There's usually a prolonged opportunity for gloating, taunting and spittlefall, which is just what Dr Phibes ordered.
In the end, more fun than laughing. Completely uncivilized.

I wonder if apes ever go for the balls. Betcha that Goddall hack didn't get around to THAT important research.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:13 pm

This "OMGZ they've ruined everything" routine half the the internet does is par for the course now. (see the Green Lantern thread for more details)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:35 am

Fried Gold wrote:

This "OMGZ they've ruined everything" routine half the the internet does is par for the course now. (see the Green Lantern thread for more details)

it all started a few years ago....(see the X3 thread for more details)

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:48 pm

If something is below-par, I have no trouble with people ripping on it. If people connected to a project are below-par, I think expressing concern is understandable. But we know almost nothing about this film besides a few short clips. The director is an unknown and the male lead has very little history. People ought to give it a chance. It's not Transformers.
DennisMM

Postby The Vicar on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

The Vicar likes.

The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:33 pm

It seems more like a "on the outside and quite bitter about not being on the inside" story.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion