TRON LEGACY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: TRON LEGACY

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

It seems more like a "on the outside and quite bitter about not being on the inside" story.

Yup, quite a pathetic little rant.

In other News

ARRRRGGGHHHH MY EYES! THE BAD MANS WRITING MAKES THEM BLEED!

I cant watch the international trailer contained within the link, but sadly I could read Harrys ejaculation of prose. ITS LIKE SOMEONE SHOUTING AN INCH FROM YOUR FACE ON HELIUM.
Quite staggering just how I could not take in a single piece of info from what he wrote.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm

<giggle>

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:09 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Harry is never better than somewhat incoherent, but there he seemed like a tiny child recounting a story. We're lucky it didn't go on for another five paragraphs.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 am

DennisMM wrote:In the TBs: WAAAAAHHH! The digital faces don't look real enough!

Some people need a dope slap.

I don't know what they were saying, but I saw the preview in question just a few hours ago and I sort of understand the complaint. In the "Tron" world it's fine since everything is fake and the character of "Young Flynn" is a construct of the program anyway, but that shot in the real world of Jeff Bridges reading to his son looks super weird. It's like something out of The Polar Express.

However, the movie still looks great and I'm psyched for it to come out.

In other news, I heard that the Daft Punk score leaked online today.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm not crazy about it, but I wish people would take a deep breath. Digital faces of that sort have come far, but I think we all know they are not perfect and will not be perfect, ever. We accept the flaws more readily on purely fantastical creatures like Gollum because they are unfamiliar. I understand that. It's important to cut the filmmakers some slack, though, as the technology progresses. I am hoping the final product will look better. And I'm excited enough about the film that I'm ready to pay more for headache-inducing 3-D.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Arcade Aid is back - http://www.arcadeaid.com

So....I completed Arcade Aid, and the whole FlynnLives ARG.

Today, I got a mystery parcel from San Diego. Inside it were two Tron-related pin badge and a limited-numbered card poster of the whole Arcade Aid game world.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 pm

A TRON Installment Of D23’s ARMCHAIR ARCHIVISTS Is Now Online!!

DIsney D23's Armchair Archivists — November 30, 2010
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:51 am

Moriarty McWeeny hates it. WARNING!!! Contains big ass spoiler for a surprise cameo!!!!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Moriarty McWeeny wrote:The film just doesn't work on several levels. The most glaring being the omission of a set visit. It’s during set visits that we the audience get to have films directly explained to us before we see them, shaping our opinions and giving us context.

It’s hard to believe that any filmmaker in the modern era could be so reckless. They spent all their money on this fancy 3D, but forgot what matters most, and that’s allowing me to see the movie before everybody else so that I can brag about it and overhype the film for up to a year before its release. Tron 2 is a sad example of what happens when filmmakers try to make films without acting like my friend or shamelessly pandering to my geekiness.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
Moriarty McWeeny wrote:The film just doesn't work on several levels. The most glaring being the omission of a set visit. It’s during set visits that we the audience get to have films directly explained to us before we see them, shaping our opinions and giving us context.

It’s hard to believe that any filmmaker in the modern era could be so reckless. They spent all their money on this fancy 3D, but forgot what matters most, and that’s allowing me to see the movie before everybody else so that I can brag about it and overhype the film for up to a year before its release. Tron 2 is a sad example of what happens when filmmakers try to make films without acting like my friend or shamelessly pandering to my geekiness.

BWAHAHAHAAA!!!

Post of the year right there.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bayouwolf on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:08 pm

Drew is fast becoming the next Harry. His fascination with nostalgia is compromising his ability to be taken seriously or objectively as a reviewer.

No one (including me) who is a true fan of TRON likes it because it's such a great dramatic piece of moving art. It's eye candy. Pure and simple.
We all wanted to fast forward through those boring parts of "real world" and get to the light cycles, recognizers, and tanks...This isn't something new to the franchise. It appears through Drew's review that the director knew EXACTLY what they were making and did it precisely the way they did back in 82. All style, no substance. Get the kiddies hooked and then leave them wanting more. Except this time, we won't have to wait 20 years for another round...

If the only real complaint McWeeny has is that the story is lacking, then I am still signed up to be the first one in the theater when it hits my little corner of the world.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

BWAHAHAHAAA!!!

Post of the year right there.

seconded!
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:Drew is fast becoming the next Grande Rojo. His fascination with nostalgia is compromising his ability to be taken seriously or objectively as a reviewer.

No one (including me) who is a true fan of TRON likes it because it's such a great dramatic piece of moving art. It's eye candy. Pure and simple.
We all wanted to fast forward through those boring parts of "real world" and get to the light cycles, recognizers, and tanks...This isn't something new to the franchise. It appears through Drew's review that the director knew EXACTLY what they were making and did it precisely the way they did back in 82. All style, no substance. Get the kiddies hooked and then leave them wanting more. Except this time, we won't have to wait 20 years for another round...

If the only real complaint McWeeny has is that the story is lacking, then I am still signed up to be the first one in the theater when it hits my little corner of the world.

Exactly, just go in there and have some fucking fun.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:24 pm

four reviews up on RT right now (including Mori's). 3/4 are marked positive (with Mori's obviously being the negative). 1 of the "positives" is decidedly mixed, and all 4 at some point call the direction and handling of the actors into question, though the other 2 reviews are generally pretty glowing.

I agree generally with what Bayou said, but we only need to go as far back as the SW prequels to see that visual stimuli cannot fully make up for wooden acting and bad writing. I'm hoping we are not in Attack of the Clones territory here.

I'm a little concerned, but will reserve judgment until I see it.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:

In all fairness: What kind of set visit would this have been ("We watched Jeff Bridges standing in front of a green screen for two hours!") and Mori recently blasted set visits these days for being too orchestrated, boring, predictable and all in all not worth it.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:38 pm

All they really need to do is remake the first movie, but add maybe two character developement scenes somewhere in the second half and I will be happy. I agree that endless action can become a bit numbing and I started to drift off a bit near the end of the first TRON because it was just endless action sequences after the first 20 minutes.

This father-son angle in the sequel looks like it will provide just enough of a breather to keep the spectacle from becoming monotonous and keep me very interested to the end.

But I will also hold off judging the movie until I've seen it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:14 pm

I loved the original Tron when I was a kid. Loved it. No sequel/remake/whatever will ruin my original fond thoughts of the original films originality.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm totally over the phase of my childhood being penetrated without authorization over a film.

I give Tron: Legacy full access to penetrate my adulthood.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bayouwolf on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
I agree generally with what Bayou said, but we only need to go as far back as the SW prequels to see that visual stimuli cannot fully make up for wooden acting and bad writing. I'm hoping we are not in Attack of the Clones territory here.

The big difference between the SW prequels and this is that the original trilogy of SW was a fantastic story to begin with. Take away the dialogue and the human element of it and you get exactly what the prequels were. Garbage with pretty visuals.
The original TRON already HAD amazing visuals and a weaksauce story line. Calling the latest in the TRON series out over that would be more like comparing Attack of the Clones with The Phantom Menace.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

The big difference between the SW prequels and this is that the original trilogy of SW was a fantastic story to begin with. Take away the dialogue and the human element of it and you get exactly what the prequels were. Garbage with pretty visuals.
The original TRON already HAD amazing visuals and a weaksauce story line. Calling the latest in the TRON series out over that would be more like comparing Attack of the Clones with The Phantom Menace.

Fair enough. Part of the problem for me I guess is when I was 8 years old idiotic dialogue or a nonsensical story line really made no difference to me. Now it might be more difficult for me to "get past" those weaknesses. Not that this film will be idiotic...I have no idea yet, and I would guess that Mori is being a bit tough on it, but it's going to be hard for me to focus on the visuals if I'm laughing (or cringing) at the story/script no matter how hard I try to convince myself that I'm only there for the pretty fx.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Don't know how many US'ers are in the remaining locations, but some there's some swag to be had:

http://www.flynnlives.com/digitalpulse/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Don't know how many US'ers are in the remaining locations, but some there's some swag to be had:

Dammit, I know exactly where that is in Toronto, but I'm not there!!! I will be on Monday, so perhaps it will still be there.
Also sad is that I am 95% sure I know where the one in Atlanta is, and I am 80% sure that I know where the one in Philly is... And I am in Atlanta today, and will be in Philly tomorrow, but won't be in either during the film's premier...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Don't know how many US'ers are in the remaining locations, but some there's some swag to be had:

Dammit, I know exactly where that is in Toronto, but I'm not there!!! I will be on Monday, so perhaps it will still be there.
Also sad is that I am 95% sure I know where the one in Atlanta is, and I am 80% sure that I know where the one in Philly is... And I am in Atlanta today, and will be in Philly tomorrow, but won't be in either during the film's premier...

They're all taken now. Just waiting for Seattle to be activated.

They gave you map coords, so finding them wasn't the problem. Being in the right area at the right time was the key. ...also they were all in North America. UK didn't get a look in.

EDIT: Also Disney farked non-US players royally. Part of the endgame involved using a US number.

And the last part is this - http://www.flynnlives.com/ELECTRIFY/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Bayouwolf wrote:

They're all taken now. Just waiting for Seattle to be activated.

They gave you map coords, so finding them wasn't the problem. Being in the right area at the right time was the key. ...also they were all in North America. UK didn't get a look in.

EDIT: Also Disney farked non-US players royally. Part of the endgame involved using a US number.

America...fuck yeah!

And the last part is this - http://www.flynnlives.com/ELECTRIFY/

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:03 am

I guess no one was able to attend the free screenings that took place this evening in many major cities(in the US & Toronto)?
I saw a tweet about it after I got home from work,but there was little chance of me making it through the Denver rush hour in time.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 am

HEAT VISION Q&A:
'Tron: Legacy' Director Joseph Kosinski

Borys Kit wrote: Heat Vision: How do you feel now that the journey is nearing its end? It's been over three years.

Joseph Kosinski: I'm very proud of the team. A movie like this takes thousands and thousands of people to put together.

And I've been talking about this for three years, either pitching it to the studio or talking to press about it. So it's nice to be able to let the movie go out there and speak for itself and I can go out there and hide.

I don't think I've totally comprehended yet. I finished the movie on a Wednesday and started the junket the next day, and went on the road for two weeks. I just got back from Mexico last night.

Heat Vision: When you were pitching this initially, was it hard to convince the studio your vision, especially considering how visually intensive this is?

Kosinski: In the very beginning, the studio's line to me was, “We want you to push us. We need to be pushed.” To say that to a director is the most powerful thing you can.

I did that test piece first. It played at Comic-Con in 2008. That was my pitch to the studio basically. I had a little bit of money to make that over six months and I showed to them and they were excited.

We somehow convinced them to show it at Comic-Con which, when you think about it, is pretty crazy. I remember thinking, if we don't play well, this project will be dead in the water.

But luckily it did.

Heat Vision: The studio has put everything, the entire company, behind this. Does that put pressure on you?

Kosinski: Of course it does. It's a bigger bet. It's not just a movie, it's the ride, it's the toys, it's the TV show, it's the video game. But I think for something like Tron, they saw it as a way to hit all those areas.

And we built the film to do that, sharing all the assets across all the divisions. So to me it's about making it consistent. So when you play the game, it feels like the movie.

From the very beginning, Sean and I made sure to be very open to all the divisions as we were building. It's how you make a big movies these days. You have to prove you can work across all those divisions.

And no one does it better than Disney. It's pretty astonishing when you see the power of this company get behind something.

Heat Vision: Are you going from this to Oblivion as your next project?

Kosinski: Right now we're working on the script. Doing some general meetings [with actors]. Nothing specific. I want to get the script in great shape. But things are looking good.

What I'm excited about is that Oblivion is the opposite end of the spectrum. It's sci-fi but it's a love story, and it's a completely different aesthetic. It'll be mostly in-camera, we're talking about shooting in some incredible places around the world. For me it's going to be 180 degrees in terms of the kind of movie it is. It'll be exciting to shift gears and get off the grid for a little bit.

Heat Vision: Pun intended.

Kosinski: [Laughs]
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 pm

So im just home from seeing this. And you know what? I dont have a clu what I think of it. I dont think 3D is for me.
I cant seem to actually watch the movie, without my eyes searching for the effect. Or trying to focus.
I have decent eyesight, but it just doesnt quite work for me.

I will keep it light, as I dont want to post any spoilers, but I found it lacking in some departments, exhilarating in others.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:41 pm

I saw this this afternoon and it was prettymuch exactly what I expected: a fun fetishy-looking superficial sci-fi romp. It's like the original with better characterization, a more complex plot, but without the original's groundbreaking ideas. I generally had lots of fun watching it and would watch it again. The movie looks and sounds great and the action is all a blast.

The lead guy in this not great. Somebody like James Franco might've been able to sell this worn-out dialogue and bunch of cliches a bit better, but the character is the bare minimum to keep me engaged. However, I liked The Dude in both his roles. I liked his fascist waddle when he was the bad guy and I liked his God In Exhile role as the good guy. The 3D glasses make everything dimmer, so it's likely that the glasses help put the vasiline on the lens to smooth out some of the shortcomings of animating young The Dude's face. It looked good to me for the most part with only the odd moment of creepy Zemekisness. This is the first time I've seen this Olivia Wilde person in a movie, but I think you guys are right, she's good. She gives the movie the spark it needed to stay alive and keep the dialogue between The Dude and the hero kid from feeling banal.

The film borrows pretty transparently from a couple of other movies. I was cool with them ripping off a lot of the costumes from Equilibrium. They improved on all those designs and Equilibrium, in my opinion, isn't really that great a movie so seeing its parts getting recycled is kinda nice because they're going to a better home. The costume and production design are great in this film. The only criticism I have about that aspect is that I wish the character of Tron himself looked a bit more distinct. I had trouble picking him out from the other drones. Maybe give him a Bobba Fett helmet or something.

But I would've rathered they hadn't bothered with the much crappier version of The Merolvingian sequence from Matrix 2. Watching Merv jerk himself off in front of Monica Bellucci as he sends that other chick the daterape cake and then violently bickering with Monica Bellucci was pretty fucking entertaining, and I guess the makers of Tron 2 saw that sequence and decided to cut the interesting dialogue and rapport among the characters and make The Merolvingian some sort of Jack Sparrow dressed as David Bowie. If they had actually got David Bowie for this small role, that too might have made everything alright, but they didn't. It just feels like a weaksauce version of a passage from another similiar movie. But I did like the club itself and the action that took place there. And the moment where The Dude slams his fist down on the dancefloor is like when Blade catches his sunglasses in the film Blade.

Daft Punk create a good score, sometimes its a bit Hans Zimmerish, but that's not a bad thing. But the movie really felt like it found its pulse when the music was more typical of what Daft Punk normally do.

So overall, the movie is fun. I liked it. there are some parts where it doesn't let loose the way I wanted it to, but I can't say I was ever bored. But like Herm, this represents the third and final time I will go see a movie in 3D. It's just not my thing.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:The costume and production design are great in this film.

I liked a comment in one review I read, where they said "naughty adult Halloween costumes just received a shot in the arm."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:52 am

tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 am

tapehead wrote:

That was actually funny. While the title works, I feel there was a missed opportunity to name the movie "PRON"
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:02 pm

From CBR:
What Tron: Legacy Can Teach Moviemakers
Tron: Legacy is finally out, ending 20+ years of waiting for some fans, and months and months of hype for everyone else. But, with poor reviews and an expected low box office turn-out, is this another example of a genre movie that got stuck in its genre?

Lesson One: Remember The Real World
As if Scott Pilgrim‘s sad, undeserved fate didn’t signpost this enough, Tron: Legacy‘s weekend box office estimate (Around $50 million) should be enough to teach filmmakers one important lesson: Stop caring so much about Comic-Con. Even moreso than Pilgrim, Tron: Legacy feels like it’s a film created using Comic-Con as a demographic focus group, with Flynn Arcades and scavenger hunts and test footage that skews perceptions about what’s successful, popular and necessary for the movie to work. The problem being that, for better or worse – and the argument could be made in either direction, I think – Comic-Con is not the real world… or, moreso, that mainstream audiences really don’t get turned on by the same thing as nerd audiences, and that for a movie that costs as much as Tron: Legacy to be a success, it has to have appeal to far more than just nerd audiences.

(This is a lesson that feels like is being taught continuously. Didn’t Speed Racer teach Hollywood anything? Or Terminator: Salvation? Amusingly, it’s beginning to look as if The Green Hornet will teach the same lesson in reverse, with mainstream audiences taking to it far better than the Comic-Con crowds who were filled with cynicism and disdain.)

Lesson Two: Nostalgia Is Not Enough
Being seven years old when Tron was first released, I like to think that I’m probably in exactly the right age group for this movie. But here is a recreation of my reaction to the announcement to a sequel to Tron: “Huh. That could be cool.”

Unlike Star Wars or Star Trek, Tron didn’t really define a generation’s youth, tell an epic story (or epic stories) that live on in memory or, really, do anything other than look kind of cool for its time. There’s no heart to Tron, beyond the visuals, and so Tron: Legacy had the unenviable task of being faithful to something that (a) was fairly empty and would have to be rebuilt in order to satisfy audiences 28 years later and (b) update the one thing the movie had going for it, because technology had passed it by since the original. No wonder it didn’t live up to so many people’s expectations; how could it?

Lesson Three: Let The Fans Build The Franchise For You
It’s one thing to generate goodwill for your work, but it’s another thing altogether to not actively generate the opposite. Obviously setting up a sequel within Tron: Legacy – What’s with Tron? Is that Cillian Murphy?– seemed to annoy some reviewers, who had (entirely fairly, I think) hoped that Tron: Legacy might try and tell a complete story in and of itself before starting to think about franchising options. It was a lost battle even before Legacy opened, of course; Disney have already announced not one, but two spin-off cartoon series for Disney XD in the next few years, and there’re already the pre-requisite videogame and comic tie-ins on shelves. Tron, it’s clear, is here to stay and Legacy is only the first chapter… but it would’ve been nice for audiences to have felt some choice in that matter, and some ownership over it. Being told that the movie you’re about to watch is all about the franchise instead of, you know, the movie, removes you from the experience a little bit, and makes the story seem less organic than part of a cynical machine built to eat your dollars. Tron: Legacy had seemed, at best, a curious sequel to a pretty much forgotten movie when first announced, and that made it seem more interesting for most people than Step One in a new mythology and franchise that they’d have to invest time and money in to understand.

Legacy isn’t even really that bad a movie – But at this point, that might not matter. The mistakes had been made, and its fate was pretty much set. It’d be nice to see if moviemakers can learn from its example, instead of letting the same thing happen to the next revival making its way to a theater near you, soon.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:13 pm

From The LA TIMES:
Set Pieces: The look of 'Tron: Legacy'

‘Tron: Legacy’: Disney looks for bright opportunity in dim past

From AICN:
Harry's TRON LEGACY review!!
I live for films like TRON.

I really truly do. I remember the sensation that shot through me that as I sat at this computer, 3 years ago, when I stared slackjaw at my computer screen as the first shaky-cam footage of the Comic Con TRON LEGACY test footage was unveiled. I remember hearing that comic con Hall H crowd cheer – and I remember how even though I was well over a 1000 miles from Hall H, I replayed it over and over and over. Called up friends like Merrick… especially Quint, he had been there when it played… He knows how much I love TRON.

TRON wasn’t for everybody. It didn’t have the merchadizing legs of STAR WARS. However, there was an audience that saw it, and it affected them forever. I saw the original TRON in 70mm at the AMERICANA – and I thought that all the effects were made in a computer. I had a computer. Maybe I could do that. Gosh that’d be awesome.

I never could make TRON effects on a computer, but last week, I suggested that folks do that… and they did. Quickly. Scarily quickly. That contest is amongst my favorite. Right there with Quint’s Stop Motion animation contest. Watching Jeff Bridges playing a standup arcade game – that… by itself was a degree of affirmation. I played Stand Up Arcade games, I had the little electronic Football handheld – constantly in my hands… This adventure could happen to me.

The idea of being digitized by a laser and taken into a computer… and that inside there were the creative souls of all the users imprinted upon their programs. I wrote programs. Sure, I was programming in BASIC, but I didn’t know any better. TRON and WAR GAMES were seminal films for me. I get that it wasn’t for everyone, but I also felt that lots of folks just couldn’t see the brilliance of TRON. It wasn’t the lightcycles and the tanks and the recognizers… it wasn’t even the fantasy of our creations carrying a bit of our souls with them. It was the idea that all the computers could be connected. That was a huge idea for my brain to process.

This thing in my bedroom, through it, one day, I could be connected to the world. What would I want to say, what adventure would it lead me on. How will this computer change my life.

That’s a lot for a movie to take on. The original helped me dream of the world I currently occupy. It’s why I was ready those 14 years ago to create this site. I’d been waiting my whole life with a lot to say and I kinda knew that it’d be with a computer. That’s why I took those typing classes… the keyboard could not be an obstruction between thought and expression. They needed to be effortless. That came from TRON.

Alright, so I was a geeky rotund superfreak – already in Boy Scouts and dreaming about computers being IMPORTANT. What could TRON offer me now that I was 38 years old, kind of found my calling and well… with a lot to think about, beyond heading to the arcade, pumping quarters into TEMPEST while justifying to my little brain that this would somehow mean something when I grew up. It did, it showed as a kid, I had properly identified the coolest stand up arcade game of all time. Giggle.

But seriously, what had TRON become.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Saw this today in an IMAX theater. When I left I kept thinking to myself how much more I liked the original.
Now, to be fair, I've been fighting with nostalgia all year and I really felt like this just iced the cake.

So I tried to think of this as a stand alone film. Something that could be coherent on it's own. Take nostalgia out of the equation, as it were...And you know what...I actually liked it even less...

It's not that it's a horribly done film. I just feel like all the individual elements of it had been done better...And done better in just this year alone. Had this come out before Avatar, I wouldn't have noticed how badly the CGI faced "Dude" looked. Had this come out before Inception, the scenes during the stadium fights where gravity reversed would have been pretty awesome. Honestly, I could go on and on...

I thought the individual performances were all phoned in, especially Jeff Bridges. And Olivia Wilde has become my "slightly overrated actress that gets cast just because she's kinda nerdy hot" go-to girl (a position formerly taken by Jennifer Garner). Maybe she's got something, but her mainstream choices in film roles don't give her a chance to show it.

The light cycles are the one thing that continue to irritate me even as I'm writing this hours after watching it. What made them so awesome before was their ability to make 90º turns on the grid. These new cycles don't do that. Ever. It just didn't feel like I was watching TRON 2.0.

However, with that being said...the final sequence with the Light Jets was pretty fantastic (Even if it reminded me of Star Wars...)

6.5/10
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:05 pm

TheButcher wrote:From CBR:
What Tron: Legacy Can Teach Moviemakers
Lesson Three: Let The Fans Build The Franchise For You
It’s one thing to generate goodwill for your work, but it’s another thing altogether to not actively generate the opposite. Obviously setting up a sequel within Tron: Legacy – What’s with Tron? Is that Cillian Murphy? – seemed to annoy some reviewers, who had (entirely fairly, I think) hoped that Tron: Legacy might try and tell a complete story in and of itself before starting to think about franchising options. It was a lost battle even before Legacy opened, of course; Disney have already announced not one, but two spin-off cartoon series for Disney XD in the next few years, and there’re already the pre-requisite videogame and comic tie-ins on shelves [not to mention its inclusion in Kingdom Hearts 2, over 5 years ago]. Tron, it’s clear, is here to stay and Legacy is only the first chapter… but it would’ve been nice for audiences to have felt some choice in that matter, and some ownership over it. Being told that the movie you’re about to watch is all about the franchise instead of, you know, the movie, removes you from the experience a little bit, and makes the story seem less organic than part of a cynical machine built to eat your dollars. Tron: Legacy had seemed, at best, a curious sequel to a pretty much forgotten movie when first announced, and that made it seem more interesting for most people than Step One in a new mythology and franchise that they’d have to invest time and money in to understand.

That's a little depressing, and to be honest it sounds like the mandate to launch a new franchise at all costs probably hobbled this movie creatively.

However I guess the upside to the whole "cynical machine" is that Tron will get like a million more chances to be good.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks for that article above, Butch, I agree with the article in saying that the 40 year old dudes dressed as Star Wars characters who show up at Comic Con are not representative of the larger mainstream audience needed to make a film a blockbuster success. I also don't care because I don't invest my money in film productions. I only care if movies I see are good, not if they make lots of money.

But Jesus, what the fuck is with everybody going on and on and on about how Cilian Murphy's cameo very early in the film totally throws it off and makes it feel like such shameless franchise building? Is he a way bigger star than I give him credit for? It's not like Tom Cruise or somebody was sitting there in that boardroom. What do most audiences know Muprhy from? He was one of many villains in a Batman movie several years ago and even then, he was only in the second half of the movie, not the main bad guy, had a bag on his head for a lot of the time, and the Batman movie he was in got overshadowed by its sequel. I guess he was also in 28 Days Later, like ten years ago... but if I had to guess, I wouldn't call this guy a household name and I didn't find his presence distracting.

I also felt like this movie told a complete story. I didn't think it ended on some lame cliffhanger or kept throwing in tangents that went nowhere so they could resolve it in a sequel. They set up a bad guy, beat him; set up a relationship arc, completed it. Yes there is room for more story beyond the conclusion about what Sam would do as CEO of his company and what Olivia Wilde's impact would be on the world, but do people really think they could've fit all that into this film? It would be like 4 hours.

Anyway, I guess I always get frustrated by these articles that try to come up with the equation for human's interest in movies. There's no way to predict what people will feel interested in.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:T
But Jesus, what the fuck is with everybody going on and on and on about how Cilian Murphy's cameo very early in the film totally throws it off and makes it feel like such shameless franchise building?

Not that I'm defending the 40 year old star wars nerds in Hall H, but he's introduced as the former bad guys son. It's not just a passing introduction either.

The fact that they didn't utilize anything from "the guy who says that the security is unbreakable" and then makes the "puppy virus" go away with a few keystrokes played out kinda like...Hey look, we got us a new guy for Sam to fight who's a computer whiz, but forget about him because he's an unused plot device....FOR NOW!!!(Cue guinea pig stare)

I didn't think his cameo took me out of the film, but I was definitely waiting for his "creation" to show up and kick some ass. Which never happened.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:07 am

Just got back from a viewing.

First off.. I saw it in standard 2D.. no 3D (wasn't playing, and I wanted to watch it tonight damnit)

Second: I haven't seen the OG Tron since I was like 11. It's been a real long fuck time, and I do not remember a lot of the film.

That being said. I enjoyed the hell out of Tron Legacy. It's visually stunning, the soundtrack is completely mind blowing. And all the things every critic is bitching about, I didn't honestly see. It's a grand family film, taking something that was BEYOND a fart of a thought 30 years ago, and bringing it to the modern age. Much like the Star Wars Prequels, it might not resonate so well today with those who grew up with it, or those born into the digital age. That didn't not make it a fun film.

The de aged Jeff Bridges was a tad jarring at first (the opening scene could have used a few more tweaks) but over all, Clu came out great. Regular Bridges channeling a bit of the dude in this film was a good thing. Even the two leads who I'm too tired to type out right now did great.

Tron Legacy is a film is grand entertainment. Best film of the year? No... but, still worth your hard earned cash.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:20 am

Bayouwolf wrote:Not that I'm defending the 40 year old star wars nerds in Hall H,

I don't have any problem with those dudes, if learning Star Trek languages and reading funnybooks is their passion, I'm not one to interfere with another man's hobby.

Bayouwolf wrote:but he's introduced as the former bad guys son. It's not just a passing introduction either.

The fact that they didn't utilize anything from "the guy who says that the security is unbreakable" and then makes the "puppy virus" go away with a few keystrokes played out kinda like...Hey look, we got us a new guy for Sam to fight who's a computer whiz, but forget about him because he's an unused plot device....FOR NOW!!!(Cue guinea pig stare) I didn't think his cameo took me out of the film, but I was definitely waiting for his "creation" to show up and kick some ass. Which never happened.

Calling it an unused plot device is fair enough, but we're on the same page in saying it's not a major distraction nor is it really shoved in the audience's face as a cliffhanger at the end to say "this is what the next film is going to be about". And seeing as it only represents about one minute of screen time, it doesn't feel like some big abandoned tangent.

I guess I just saw it more as showing how Flynn's company had strayed from his vision during his absence and now is a greedy evil Microsoft and employs his nemesis's son.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm giving it 5 out of 5.

I had barrels of fun.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby travis-dane on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm

From OLEG...

travis-dane wrote:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:I give Tron: Legacy 5 out of 5.

Fun as fuck.

I have to disagree there brotha. Tron Legacy sucks so bad, I barely could finish it. The music is great, Olivia Wilde is hot, the visuals are great, BUT the rest of the movie is so dumb, it made my balls hurt.
The evil "Encom" gag in the beginning is so bad, I thought it is a joke, but it wasnt. The guy breaks in his own company, uploads the "new" operating system and 5 seconds later the whole world knows about it. jesus.
The "plan" of the bad guy is beyond idiotic. The characters have powers when it's plot convinient, the kid knows what to do a fraction after he gets there and about a gazzilion more flaws drag the movie down.
And another thing, why is the movie called TRON Legacy? The movie is not about Tron, he has nothing to do with it.
What a piece of shit.-8 out of 5. minus.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:17 pm

travis-dane wrote:From OLEG...

travis-dane wrote:

Fun as fuck.

I have to disagree there brotha. Tron Legacy sucks so bad, I barely could finish it. The music is great, Olivia Wilde is hot, the visuals are great, BUT the rest of the movie is so dumb, it made my balls hurt.
The evil "Encom" gag in the beginning is so bad, I thought it is a joke, but it wasnt. The guy breaks in his own company, uploads the "new" operating system and 5 seconds later the whole world knows about it. jesus.
The "plan" of the bad guy is beyond idiotic. The characters have powers when it's plot convinient, the kid knows what to do a fraction after he gets there and about a gazzilion more flaws drag the movie down.
And another thing, why is the movie called TRON Legacy? The movie is not about Tron, he has nothing to do with it.

So you're saying the original was "smart"?

Ummmmmm...no.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby travis-dane on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:28 pm

travis-dane wrote:

Fun as fuck.

Ummmmmm...no.

Stuntcock, I did not say anything about the first movie. Or did I.
I am saying that TRON Legacy is a waste of time and one of the dumbest movies I have seen in a long time.
I got no problem with dumb, as long as the movie does not pretend to be smart. But TRON Legacy thinks it is a edgy, high concept movie, with smart ideas.
But sadly the movie was written by people who have no idea about the internet, hacking or anything else which could be usefull when you write a movie about "Cyberspace".
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:49 pm

travis-dane wrote:

travis-dane wrote:

Fun as fuck.

Ummmmmm...no.

Stuntcock, I did not say anything about the first movie. Or did I.
I am saying that TRON Legacy is a waste of time and one of the dumbest movies I have seen in a long time.
I got no problem with dumb, as long as the movie does not pretend to be smart. But TRON Legacy thinks it is a edgy, high concept movie, with smart ideas.
But sadly the movie was written by people who have no idea about the internet, hacking or anything else which could be usefull when you write a movie about "Cyberspace".

Let's be friends.

Oleg
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:34 pm

I saw this with a buddy of mine who I usually see eye-to-eye with on geek business. As the credits rolled, I turned to him and he said, "That was awesome!" And I said, "That was a piece of shit!"

Just bad, bad, baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:31 pm

I have a bit of a prejudice against building long quotey-quote posts, so I will just say that I am responding to StuntMike and Travis's debate because I am somewhat in the middle.

I do think the first one was smart. It showed an understanding of computers that I did not see in a movie again until The Matrix. The ideas they explored about networks and AI and users in computers showed what I thought was an interesting perspective and ahead of its time in 1982, especially for a movie. Even movies in the 90s were less accurate about computers.

And the more I think about it, I like the idea they were playing with in Tron 2. The idea that the digital frontier could have discovery, that there could be things in the digital frontier that we didn't create the same way there's shit out in space. I'd never seen that idea in a movie before. But I will say they didn't do much with it. Olivia Wilde as the new species that would change the direction of humanity didn't even get half the awe assinged to Milla in The 5th Element.

I also liked the idea of a guy fighting his own avatar, like somebody from our generation in 20 years would look at their current Facebook page.

I don't agree with Travis about the hero guy learning everything too fast. He goes into the digital world and gets busted right away and then gets put in a simple game of dodgeball that anybody could figured out. He also doesn't do any moves until he sees his opponents do them, showing he's learning from them. But then again, he is pretty fucking stupid to think he can escape from the centre of a full sports arena without anybody stopping him.

I do agree with Travis that lots of the plot points were more than a little hokey and contrived. And I also feel lots of the good ideas either happened by accident or were just underdeveloped. Especially stuff about Flynn being an exiled God in a society that had turned against him. I think a smarter writer could've made more of that.

I guess we all agree that the movie looked and sounded cool.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 am

From Jim Hill:
Disney insiders advise patience when it comes to determining "TRON: Legacy" 's box office success
Wyatt M. dropped me a line yesterday to ask:

Because of Tron: Legacy being a "disappointment," does this mean that everything Disney had planned for it isn't actually going to happen? Personally, this was my favorite film of the year, and I'd hate to see the sequel, television show, and online world never happen. I see some real potential here, and there's nothing worse than wasted potential. Thanks!

Given that "TRON: Legacy" has only been out in theaters for three days now, it's a trifle early to be calling this Joseph Kosinski film a disappointment, don't you think?

Take a look around the Web, Wyatt. The language that's being used to describe the estimated $43.6 million that "TRON: Legacy" pulled in over its first weekend in domestic release isn't disappointing. It's nice, respectable, solid but not spectacular.

Now if you want to talk about disappointing box office, check out Sony's "How Do You Know." This James L. Brooks movie cost that studio a reported $120 million to make and only pulled in an estimated $7.6 million over its opening weekend. Now that's a real disappointment.

Now as for "TRON: Legacy" ... I guess one could argue that this relaunch of the "TRON" franchise didn't entirely meet industry expectations. And given that this high profile tentpole reportedly cost $270 - $320 million to make & then market, conventional wisdom would suggest that the Mouse is going to be extremely challenged when it comes to recovering its initial investment in this production.

But you have to understand that Disney is different, Wyatt. That this corporation can leverage characters & franchises in ways that other entertainment companies only dream about. Case in point: ElecTRONica, which has been dazzling thousands of weekend visitors to Disney California Adventure theme park since early October. These folks have been snatching up "TRON: Legacy" merchandise and buying overpriced "TRON" -themed drinks for weeks now. Which means that Mickey actually found a way to make money off of this movie before it was even released to theaters.

Or - better yet - how about the "TRON: Legacy" soundtrack ? This Walt Disney Records release sold over 70,000 units during its first week in release, making it the first score soundtrack in five years to debut in the Top 10. And - again - most of the money that's made off of sales of this Daft Punk recording then flows directly back into the Mouse's pocket.

So would Disney executives have been happier if "TRON: Legacy" had performed more like Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" (which earned $116.1 million over its first weekend in domestic release) or "Toy Story 3" (which made $110.3 million) over its opening weekend? Absolutely. But given that the audience segment that was most eager to see this "TRON" sequel was males over the age of 18, rather than the entire family (Which is what helped power "Alice" and "TS3" to those impressively high opening weekend numbers), Disney's promotional staff knew that it was facing a real challenge with the launch of this particular production. Which is why you saw them mounting the sort of marketing campaign that they did.

Now what's kind of interesting - when you talk with Disney insiders about "TRON: Legacy" 's box office performance - is how quickly these people then change the subject to "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." In particular, how it's taken the third "Narnia" movie 10 days to make $42.7 million. Which is basically the same amount that "TRON: Legacy" earned over its first three days in domestic release.

To hear these company insiders talk, Disney really dodged a bullet in December of 2008 by opting out of its deal with Walden Media to co-produce any further "Narnia" films. And given how "Dawn Treader" has performed domestically to date, this movie will really have do spectacularly overseas if Fox is to be expected to then participate in production of "The Silver Chair."

And speaking of overseas ... The Disney insiders that I spoke with this past weekend urged me not to rush to judgment when it came to "TRON: Legacy." People both inside & outside of the industry will get a far better sense of how this Joseph Kosinski film will perform long-term at the box office by looking at "TRON: Legacy" 's second weekend in domestic release. More to the point, that studio officials anticipate that this "TRON" sequel will do quite well overseas.

So long story short, Wyatt: No one's hitting the "TRON" panic button. Not yet, anyway. Near as I can tell, the "TRON: Uprising" animated series is still on track to debut on the Fall of 2011 with a series of teaser mini-episodes while the full-blown show will premiere sometime in the Spring on 2012.

And as for that "TRON: Legacy" sequel ... Well, the greenlighting of that film always hinged on how well the first "TRON" sequel performed at the box office. Though my understanding was - given that the second "TRON" sequel was always supposed to cost far less than "TRON: Legacy" (because, of course, many of the costumes, props and sets - as well as CG assets - that had been created for the first "TRON" sequel could then, in theory, be repurposed for a "TRON: Legacy" follow-up) ... Well, the way I've heard it described is that "TRON 3" was supposed to be the "Wrath of Khan" to "TRON: Legacy" 's "Star Trek - The Motion Picture." In that -- now that modern moviegoers have been reintroduced to the characters & the world of TRON -- Disney could then step around the ponderous backstory & mythology inherent with the relaunch of a 1980s sci-fi franchise and now create an action-packed sequel that deliberately broadened the appeal of these pictures.

So who knows? If "TRON: Legacy" does well enough worldwide, we may yet get "The Wrath of TRON." Or whatever it is that Walt Disney Studios was going to call "TRON 3." But a lot of this genuinely depends on how many tickets get sold to this Joseph Kosinski film.

So if you really do want to see that "TRON: Legacy" sequel and/or see some "TRON" -themed attractions start popping up in the Parks, Wyatt, my advice is to go back and see this Walt Disney Pictures release a few more times. Better yet, bring a few friends along with you.

And then - on your way home - swing by your local Disney Store and/or Toys R Us and buys some of those "TRON: Legacy" toys. Because anything that indicates to Mouse House management that there is actually a largish audience out there that is interested in all manner of "TRON" -related product will then help keep this franchise alive.

But what do you folks think? Would you be interested in seeing Disney produce a "TRON: Legacy" sequel (especially if the next film had a far stronger story)? Or would you be perfectly happy if the Walt Disney Company waited another 28 years before it then made another attempt to revive / relaunch its "TRON" franchise?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 am

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion