TRON LEGACY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: TRON LEGACY

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:51 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:54 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:23 am

SPOILERS

From io9:
15 Easter eggs to watch out for in Tron Legacy

Cinematical Exclusive Geek Out:
'Tron: Legacy' Screenwriters Discuss the Mythology; Address Key Story Decisions
Todd Gilchrist wrote:It's been only four days since 'Tron: Legacy' opened in theaters nationwide, so it's understandable if you haven't seen it but one time thus far. But we also know that that first viewing can be potentially confusing, even if you've seen the original film nine times. So in order to find the answers to some of the burning questions of story and logic that might still be lingering, Cinematical sat down with 'Tron: Legacy' screenwriters Adam Horowitz and Eddie Kitsis for a candid, in-depth conversation about the film.

Please be aware that this is not just a spoiler-heavy interview, it was specifically conducted to break down and clarify the story from start to finish.

So if you haven't seen the film yet, this may not be the best place to start reading about 'Tron: Legacy.' That said, hopefully Kitsis and Horowitz' comments will explain some of the stickier points of the plot, and enhance the viewing experience for folks intrigued enough to give it another shot.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 am

I found this review in a talkback and I think it's the best review of the movie:

dancingforever wrote:I saw Tron last night with a group of people in my High School and the people here who said it was not a good movie are stupid. This is my review.
The movie is kind of boring at the beginning when Flynn's son is mad at his Dad's company, he gives them a computer virus that shows a picture of a dog barking. Later he finds out that a "page" has come from an arcade his Dad used to own. A "page" is how people used to twitter in the 70's or something. The kid goes to the arcade and then goes to play a game but finds a secret door and then goes behind the secret door and then turns on his dads old computer and then it takes him inside the computer world and it's cool.
When he's in the computer world he battles evil programs and stuff. It's sick when he kills them they turn into computer dust. Later he goes to a bigger place to battle other computer people but is rescued by a really cute girl. She takes him to his dad and his dad is like a hippy. I've never seen to many of Jeff Bridges movies but he's real cool in this and it's an original role like you don't see in most movies. He is like a retro guy and talks about philosophy and stuff. He knows some kind of Kung Fu he talks about "Zen." Everything is white where his dad lives like at the Cardashian's apartment. There are a lot of old books around and his dads friend, the hot girl, likes the books to.
Later they decide to leave because his dad doesn't like it there anymore but the evil programs don't want them to and they fight each other and it's really cool. There's good music and they go to a dance club.
About the coolest part of the movie comes toward the end, they are fighting each other in cool planes and there are two super cool stands out scenes. In one Flynn's son is in turret in the back of the plane and is shooting at the other planes. It was cool because I have never seen a movie where you were in the gun part of the plane before and it was cool. The best part of the movie was when Clue and this other bad guy were chasing them and the other bad guy decided for some reason he was good now and he hit Clue's plane with his plan and said "I fight for the user." Everyone in the theatre was going crazy. I don't know who the other bad guy was but he seemed real cool. It's to bad he couldn't have been in more of the movie or more of the movie couldn't have been about him because he was cool.
I won't spoil the end because it's real cool and sad and stuff. It's safe to say this is the best movie I have seen in forever. We want to go again this weekend on Christmas break, it would be cool to see it again and look for other things that maybe I missed.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:57 pm

This movie was my first foray into the realm of 3D and I have to say that while the effect is nice, it didn't really blow me away. As for the film, it was good, and I'd not seen the original in forever, so Murphy's cameo didn't do squat for me. As for the rest of the film, it works.

Nothing superspectacular like, say, oh a billion internet movie critics wanted it to be. It was a decent story with great FX, with of course, more than a few plot holes and I didn't care too much for the CG of Clu. Human facial recognition isn't perfect but it's getting there. I'm also glad that it didn't try to go overboard with technobabble, or superdeep philosophically. I've heard words like 'disappointing', 'empty', 'shallow', and of course 'stupid' in reviews. To those people, I have to say this: GET OVER YOURSELVES. This is a sequel to a movie from 1982 that, while good, didn't set the world on fire even if it did make a few tech predictions that turned out right. It's TRON, not Gandhi 2 for fuck sake.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Gandhi II, starring Colin Farrell, Bruce Willis, Sandra Bullock and Paul Giamatti
starts filming in April 2011 and will be directed by Julie Taymor.
Insiders say it will be better than Tron Legacy.

I blame you for this, BobX......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:36 am

The Vicar wrote:Gandhi II, starring Colin Farrell, Bruce Willis, Sandra Bullock and Paul Giamatti

I've heard it is to be a prequel/re-imagining.

And I'm told the score will be provided by Prodigy.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am

The Vicar wrote:Gandhi II, starring Colin Farrell, Bruce Willis, Sandra Bullock and Paul Giamatti

You can blame me all the way to a $300 million dollar box office and 9 Academy Award wins.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

I'm the non-violent resister!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:10 pm

So, have you lot all seen this film after months of prewank an are gonna talk about it? Or are you just gonna post crap about Gandhi 2?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Yeah guys, keep this stuff in the GANDHI 2 thread.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: TRON LEGACY / GANDHI 2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

I'm the non-violent resister!

From MTV:
Danny DeVito Goes Shirtless For A 'Gandhi'... Remake? Sequel?

Inside The Actor's Workshop with Danny DeVito:

Collider Exclusive:
TRON: LEGACY Director Joseph Kosinski on Easter Eggs, Secret Cameos, IMAX, Daft Punk B-Sides, Reshoots, and so Much More
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Morzongo on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:46 am

I didn't like it. It was boring except the first action scenes with the gladiators and the bikes. The entire movie has a solemn style but sometimes it has some humor turns that where really dull. A lost oportunity to recover a great universe built in the first movie (also boring).
Cinemavip - The community for movie proffessionals and amateurs.
Morzongo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:01 pm

From Heat Vision:
'Tron Legacy' Crosses $100 Million Mark, Earns a Quarter of it from IMAX
Borys Kit wrote:Tron: Legacy crossed the $100 million mark at the domestic box office on Tuesday. The movie, budgeted at $170 million, which has been in U.S. theaters for 12 days, has also made around $75 million overseas.

The most interesting note about the domestic number is that almost a quarter of the box office receipts -- about $25 million -- are from IMAX theaters. Tron is playing in 3,451 theaters across Canada and the U.S., with only 235 of those being IMAX houses. For that low count to generate 25% of the gross is astonishing. And a record proportion for IMAX.

But while that is good news for IMAX, it’s not necessarily good news for Disney. IMAX filmgoers tend to be in the 15 to 34-year-old demo and are -- how shall I put it? -- geekier than the average person. So the numbers reveal that while the tentpole is performing solidly in its core demo, it’s ability to break out into a broader audience might remain a bit elusive, despite the extensive ad campaign designed to widen the tent.

Also coming into play for Tron is the PG rating. The classification would theoretically broaden the potential audience, allowing families to join in on the trip to the Grid. But some box office observers note that the classification might have signaled that the movie isn’t as edgy as some fanboys -- the fickle fans of these kind of movies -- would have liked.

Ratings are actually a larger issue for Disney, which has signalled a desire to lure notable filmmakers to develop projects for its slate. For example, David Fincher and Guillermo del Toro, both known for making envelope-pushing films, are working on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Haunted Mansion, respectively. Disney will need to find ways to develop projects that not only showcase the distinct voice of their filmmakers -- usually that factor that allows a film to pop above the din -- but still be broad enough to attract the size of audience the studio craves.

From Deadline:
NEW YEAR'S WEEKEND
NIKKI FINKE wrote:3. Tron: Legacy 3D (Disney) Week 2 [3,365 Theaters]
Friday $5M, Saturday $7.8M, Weekend $18.3M (-4%), Cume $130.9M

Remember how I told you that Tron: Legacy 3D would be making almost as much overseas as domestically? In its 3rd week in release, its New Year's international weekend was $23.7M (down only 26% from last weekend) in release in 40 territories representing 70% of that market. So with an international cume now of $110M, the pic's global cume is a big $240.9M. But that's still not enough yet to cover the cost of making it ($170M) or marketing it worldwide ($120M).
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:06 pm

I've seen this five times now. In conclusion: Ultimate brill skills.

I would say that I thought 3D-Imax was a bit too much of an assault on the senses.

I would also say that fully-CG lips possibly need a bit more work, but given the context I was prepared to overlook it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:34 pm

I saw this today. I really liked it but I probably will not go see it 5 times (sorry Fried Gold - lol). I agree there was a little bit wrong with the Clue/Flynn CG mouth. It was certain syllables or something with how the top lip floated over the teeth. It wasn't too bothersome but I so wanted it to be perfect... DISNEY! I couldn't fix it so I guess I should stop complaining. Anyways, I really liked the storyline.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:48 pm

They should have just kept all the young flynn scenes in the shadows. Its fine that Cue has the dead puppet man face, because he's a program. They should have done whatever the hell was done to Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart from that X-men movie.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:56 pm

I wonder if Disney is one of those non-secret sharing companies to their own detriment. I would have maybe traded secrets with another digital company to fix it. I'll show you mine if you show me yours kinda deals.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:01 pm

justcheckin wrote:I wonder if Disney is one of those non-secret sharing companies to their own detriment. I would have maybe traded secrets with another digital company to fix it. I'll show you mine if you show me yours kinda deals.

I mean, We saw a film released in January with better visual effects than a film released in December of the same year.

::waves lovingly at James Cameron::
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby justcheckin on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
justcheckin wrote:I wonder if Disney is one of those non-secret sharing companies to their own detriment. I would have maybe traded secrets with another digital company to fix it. I'll show you mine if you show me yours kinda deals.

I mean, We saw a film released in January with better visual effects than a film released in December of the same year.

Well, I was thinking of that actually. Even though the characters are blue, the mouth movements seemed more genuine. However, in Tron they were trying to make him look like Jeff Bridges and that probably sets up a whole new set of problems.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:58 pm

justcheckin wrote:
Bayouwolf wrote:

Well, I was thinking of that actually. Even though the characters are blue, the mouth movements seemed more genuine. However, in Tron they were trying to make him look like Jeff Bridges and that probably sets up a whole new set of problems.

Siguorney Weaver's Avatar was so creepily similar to her in nearly every way, I don't see why it would have been so hard to do Bridges.

I think it came down to a "we're Disney dammit, we don't ask for help from nobody!"
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:03 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:They should have done whatever the hell was done to Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart from that X-men movie.

You want them to have shoved 5kg of botox into every nook and cranny of Jeff Bridges's face?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:21 am

They used Cameron's cameras to make it so it shouldn't have too hard to ask him for a few tips. I think the key difference is the motion capture in Avatar.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:31 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:They should have done whatever the hell was done to Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart from that X-men movie.

You want them to have shoved 5kg of botox into every nook and cranny of Jeff Bridges's face?

If that is what they did, then yes. Young Jeff Bridges was creepy. In like 3 months, there'll be articles on how young Jeff Bridges gave children nightmares.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:37 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:34 pm

that is sweet Fired Gold... sweeeeeeet
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

The Mega Man character port is hokey, but I love the Daft Punk 8bit sound.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby tapehead on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:31 am

I have it on good authority that Kirk really likes this. He twated it to the hole world on fackbook. But you won't find him in here saying anything positive. What a gentleman.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 am

tapehead wrote:I have it on good authority that Kirk really likes this. He twated it to the hole world on fackbook. But you won't find him in here saying anything positive. What a gentleman.

It's his 2010 "PREEEECIOUSSSSSSS...."
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Here's Massa giving the film more intellectual credit than I think it deserves:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47947

This is an interesting read. I thought the film did have some neat ideas, but the stupid scenes at evil Encom HQ and the stuff with Michael Sheen as Merovingian made me doubt that the makers of TRON 2 were as clear in their heads about these ideas as Massa is making them out to be.

I think a lot of the cool ideas in TRON 2 either got in the film by accident or were contributed by one guy working on a team of guys who were all less intelligent than he.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Tron Legacy just recycled whatever it could get its grubby little hands on from other movies. At its best it's an awesome soundtrack with some nice visual designs, but as soon as anything is moving or anyone is talking the film devolves to a mound of poorly-executed cliches. PWNT!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Heres a nice feature on the special effects (if you like that sort of thing). Dont watch if you havent seen the movie, as its spoilers aplenty.

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:49 pm

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Digital Domain. "
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Digital Domain. "

Im not surprised! looked like their 8 minute showreel, and basically had ALL of the big money shots from the movie. No talking heads, just elements and techniques spelling out the whole movie, in sequence, with Daft Punk pounding away.
The method of capturing Jeff Bridges for clu was pretty cool. Even if the end result wasnt to everyones taste, the method was pretty nifty.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Fortunately it's been mirrored in quite a few places:

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Fucking hell...I got 30 seconds into that and saw too much new stuff.

Why is noone releasing it on 2D ON A GOOD SCREEEEEN
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby justcheckin on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah, I saw it in 3D but I bet it still rocks pretty hard in 2D. Can't wait to see it at home.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby inanegeek on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:29 pm

inanegeek
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:43 pm

There wasn't enough light in this film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Also is it me, or is Olivia Wilde, who is drop dead hot and maybe the best thing in Tron, actually bone ugly everywhere else in real life?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Sigh, I say. Just sigh. More later, maybe.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Didn't you like it?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Also is it me, or is Olivia Wilde, who is drop dead hot and maybe the best thing in Tron, actually bone ugly everywhere else in real life?

Um. No and no.

Olivia Wilde is attractive.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Also is it me, or is Olivia Wilde, who is drop dead hot and maybe the best thing in Tron, actually bone ugly everywhere else in real life?

Um. No and no.

I wouldn't change teams for her but she's nice.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:57 pm

justcheckin wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

Um. No and no.

I wouldn't change teams for her but she's nice.

A ringing endorsement if ever I heard one!

And please, we are not asking anyone to change teams. I mean, there is enough competition out there as it is! And you lot have inside information! How is that not like insider trading!?! I mean, we are from Mars! How are we to know what things are like in Venus?!?! :wink: :lol:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm

I get what you mean.

I saw a red carpet interview with her and she looked 50% thin-and-bonier than she does in Tron.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

Um. No and no.

Er, um, yum.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby justcheckin on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

I get what you mean.

I saw a red carpet interview with her and she looked 50% thin-and-bonier than she does in Tron.

Her tron suit was probably padded to make her look more muscular. She wouldn't have needed to work out to play the roll and she didn't show any skin in the film. Not to mention that the glowing parts of the tron suits direct your eyes in a way regular clothing wouldn't also making the actors look more athletic. That is my guess at the difference you guys are referring to.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:25 pm

I don't see how people find her attractive at all...She has the body of a 15 year old Filipino boy (Sorta like Kiera Knightly or Taylor Swift), and it looks like she hasn't grown into her face yet...Maybe after she spits out a couple of kids she will be able to fit in something more feminine than a size 0 and her ears won't touch in the back of her head from being pulled so tightly back by the lack of skin on her skull...

Granted, that is just this mans opinion...The biggest problem I have with women who look like Ms. Wilde is that I'm really not into chicks with a waist the size of my thigh, AND have boobs that are smaller than mine... (Noomi Repace and Milla Jovovich get a pass here because they look like they work on their bodies instead of just skipping the last 3 days worth of meals and initiating self-induced vomiting rituals every weekend).

Pass...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion