The Zone's 2009 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2009 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:40 am

DaleTremont wrote:
Maui wrote:Gomorrah 8/10 A brutal look at the Italian mob brilliantly executed by Matteo Garrone. Like Hunger, it's a violent movie, extremely well done, but I likely won't be viewing it again.

Man I've been dying to see this. Glad you liked it.

One of my favorite films from last year. Garrone is an amazing director. He manages to direct exploitation-ish cinema with a neorealist bent.

Primo Amore and The Embalmer are both excellent films and well worth seeking out. Honestly I think they are better than Gomorrah.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:57 am

Updated my journals with SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK (Charlie Kaufman, you crazy fucking lunatic) and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN (which I just realized is EVIL DEAD for the nineties) and why the fuck not THE WRESTLER (tits).
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:08 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Primo Amore

Ah that's the one you were telling me about, no? Okay I have to get my act together and seek this shit out.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:10 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:Primo Amore

Ah that's the one you were telling me about, no? Okay I have to get my act together and seek this shit out.

Yeah I was telling you about Garrone awhile ago. Got to get on that Dale!
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Maui on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:51 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Primo Amore and The Embalmer are both excellent films and well worth seeking out. Honestly I think they are better than Gomorrah.

I think The Embalmer was better than Gomorrah. Primo Amore I probably liked the least of the bunch and it was still quite good.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bloo on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:09 am

updated now with THE LORD OF THE RINGS and THE UNTOUCHABLES
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Maui wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

I think The Embalmer was better than Gomorrah. Primo Amore I probably liked the least of the bunch and it was still quite good.

Well I'm glad you liked the films Maui. Garrone is definitely a major talent and I will anticipate each and every film he does.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby justcheckin on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:00 pm

instant_karma wrote:MINEZZZZ!

My list is longer than yours!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby justcheckin on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Ribbons wrote:I guess in case I decide to not be a lazy bum this year, I better reserve my spot here before it starts getting into conversation mode...

My list is longer than yours too!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 am

March

Favorite Movie of the month: Ronin.

Worst: G.I. Jane
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Best was Death Proof.

Worst was probably Twilight. I so want to still have that twitterpated feeling of first love but sadly all I'm left with is the stale taste of teen angst and hair gel...

Special mentions for Hell in the Pacific and Une Femme Est Une Femme.

I finally saw Gommora, stereos, and was impressed but at the same time a little disappointed. Mostly I think because in all the time I was watching I wasn't sure who precisely this drug war was between. I guess I need more clearly defined groups and characters to wrap my brain around the intricacy that is mob life. Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention :oops:

In any case, it would definitely be worth a second viewing so maybe I'll get a little more wise to the goings-on by then.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Best in March was Watchman though uneven the good parts very really good

again no really bad movies which means I have to watch a lot more
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 pm

BEST OF MARCH:

WATCHMEN. Saw it three times. I'm really falling in love with it.
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. Didn't appreciate this one enough when I saw it as a kid. Rodriguez and Tarantino need to do another movie together.
WALL-E. It's every bit as good as all the internet wieners said it is.

WEIRDEST:

SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK. I bought it on a whim. I know that I love the first half, don't know how I feel about the second half. Need to re-watch eventually.

WORST:

POOL PARTY. Not actually the worst. Low fucking budget maybe. 2.8 on IMDb. Watched it cuz a guy at work I know is in it. He said it's bad. I actually like it quite a bit.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:16 am

BEST OF MARCH- tied, both Oleg Movie Club Selections, EL DORADO (because it's my favorite John Wayne movie) and THE DEER HUNTER (the may be my favorite DeNiro movie)

WORST OF MARCH- easily without a doubt, no questions asked HAPPILY N'VER AFTER 2:SNOW WHITE:ANOTHER BITE AT THE APPLE (I think that's the full shitty title) with barely a passable resememblance to the first (except for a few minor char.), no respect whatso ever to the legend of Snow White (she's a Paris Hiltonesque party girl that when she bites the apple given to her by Rumpelstiltskin(I'm not kidding here, the evil Step-Queen hires Rumpelstiltskin as her croonie) it makes her say mean things about her friends and the dwarfs (who don't sound at all like the original dwarfs in the first HAPPILY N'VER AFTER--I guess all 'hick' voices sound alike) teach her how to be nice and caring. I'm not kidding that's the plot. I'm glad I didn't buy it, rent it or waste space on my netflik que because of this. CRAP
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 pm

March was a VERY slow month for me. I only saw three films the entire Month. So I really don't see the point of doing a best and worst list. One of them was really damn good (WATCHMEN) and the others were solid (TENACIOUS D and ONG BAK). I don't have time to even watch movies anymore. Shit!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:52 am

Damn. And I thought I was slacking off by only watching sixteen or eighteen movies.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:38 am

updated with new movies for april including monsters, strippers, killers and flyers
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:58 am

I pretty much agree with you about BEHIND THE MASK. I actually liked all the mockumentary stuff. It was when it turned into a slasher movie that I stopped giving a shit.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:04 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I pretty much agree with you about BEHIND THE MASK. I actually liked all the mockumentary stuff. It was when it turned into a slasher movie that I stopped giving a shit.

the idea behind the mockumentary and even parts of the execution of that I really enjoyed, so much so I'm kicking around a similar idea, kind of a Ghosthunters type thing except it's the "cabin in the woods"/supernatural type horror movie (ala EVIL DEAD which NEVER gets any love in these horror tribute/send ups)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 am

You know I've never really thought about it. EVIL DEAD is such a big part of horror movie geek uh... something, but it only gets the occasional nod from, um, somebody. Or something. I'm tired.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:15 am

Scream, to my thinking, is the only "self-aware" or "shared universe" to give a nod to Evil Dead and it was very minor, I think the video cassette was on top of the VCR in the party scene when the shit hits the fan
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby thefilmwall on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:37 pm

You know I've never really thought about it. EVIL DEAD is such a big part of horror movie geek uh... something, but it only gets the occasional nod from, um, somebody. Or something. I'm tired.Worst was probably Twilight. I so want to still have that twitterpated feeling of first love but sadly all I'm left with is the stale taste of teen angst and hair gel.I finally saw Gommora, stereos, and was impressed but at the same time a little disappointed. Mostly I think because in all the time I was watching I wasn't sure who precisely this drug war was between. I guess I need more clearly defined groups and characters to wrap my brain around the intricacy that is mob life. Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.....
The Film Wall is a place where you can watch [url="http://www.thefilmwall.com"]online free movies[/url]anytime.
thefilmwall
GLIB

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm

thefilmwall wrote:You know I've never really thought about it. EVIL DEAD is such a big part of horror movie geek uh... something, but it only gets the occasional nod from, um, somebody. Or something. I'm tired.Worst was probably Twilight. I so want to still have that twitterpated feeling of first love but sadly all I'm left with is the stale taste of teen angst and hair gel.I finally saw Gommora, stereos, and was impressed but at the same time a little disappointed. Mostly I think because in all the time I was watching I wasn't sure who precisely this drug war was between. I guess I need more clearly defined groups and characters to wrap my brain around the intricacy that is mob life. Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.....

Well basically the movie comes down to 3 separate vignettes as an attempt to show the hierarchy and the pervasiveness of all thing italian gangster. There is no clearly defined group because that's not the way it happens. Instead you have the mob and all things/people revolve around that concept. It is showing the minutia of this life and how it invades the freedoms of all people around it.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:26 pm

whats wrong with page one...cant get it to load.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Works for me.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:02 am

works for me as well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:56 am

hum..might b my browser...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 am

updated with recent entries for SPEED RACER and WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 pm

Updated with HEAVY METAL. Anyone ever see this? Holy shit. THE FIFTH ELEMENT totally ripped this movie off, big time. The design was nearly identical, the characters were almost exactly the same, and even the plot is similar. This can't be a coincidence, can it?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:57 pm

Never seen HEAVY METAL, though recently I was thinking I really need to put it on my Netflix queue.

Watched ABSOLUTE POWER yesterday in anticipation of the OLEG Movie Club "Farewell, Clint/Happy Retirement Actingly-Speaking" round coming up. A preposterous film that is nonetheless well-acted and directed by Clint. Great supporting work by Gene Hackman, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris and my favorite sexy weird-looking kinda-haggy middle-aged chick Judy Davis. And how the fuck do you beat E.G. Marshall in his last theatrical film and RICHARD JENKINS AS A FUCKING HITMAN!?

Warner Bros. DVDs are fucking shit, though. I swear this movie had to have come out in '93 or something, turns out it was '97. Fucking shit-ass transfer anyway.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Al Shut on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:06 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Updated with HEAVY METAL. Anyone ever see this? Holy shit. THE FIFTH ELEMENT totally ripped this movie off, big time. The design was nearly identical, the characters were almost exactly the same, and even the plot is similar. This can't be a coincidence, can it?

Not having seen Heavy Metal I can't really judge if it's ripping of or beeing influenced by, nor can I say if it's the movie or the comics it was based on but I don't believe it an coincidence. Both movies come from the same direction.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Seppuku on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:18 am

The Fifth Element ripped off the whole aesthetic and even much of the plot from the Jodorowsky and Moebius Incal comics in Heavy Metal. Jodo waged a lawsuit against Luc Besson at one point, but I think it got thrown out of court.

Then again, rip off or not, it doesn't make The Fifth Element any less fun. If it were a legitimate adaptation, people would be saying how well it captured the tone of the comics, so I'll just pretend that's exactly what it is.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Al Shut on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:57 am

The question there is if Moebius worked as a designer on Fiftzh element how much can one rip himself?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bloo on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:16 am

yeah first time I saw THE 5TH ELEMENT my thought was "they totaly ripped off the cabdriver sequence from HEAVY METAL"

fun fun movie though

and caruso you're right the plot of ABSOLUTE POWER is crazy but man does Clint make it work

interesting though in the book it's adapted from Clint's char. dies about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way in
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Updated with THE WRESTLER. What a great flick. Loved a lot about it. Soundtrack was great, and I like how Aronofsky cut each tune short right as it was getting a line that was recognizable or singable, you know. He never just let it feel complete. Rourke was awesome, and Tomei was great too. And she looked stellar.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:10 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Updated with HEAVY METAL. Anyone ever see this? Holy shit. THE FIFTH ELEMENT totally ripped this movie off, big time. The design was nearly identical, the characters were almost exactly the same, and even the plot is similar. This can't be a coincidence, can it?

"My name's Harry Canyon. I drive a cab."

That and Sabbath's The Mob Rules. I love 'em.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Updated with THE WRESTLER. What a great flick. Loved a lot about it. Soundtrack was great, and I like how Aronofsky cut each tune short right as it was getting a line that was recognizable or singable, you know. He never just let it feel complete. Rourke was awesome, and Tomei was great too. And she looked stellar.

agreed awesome film
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:14 pm

updated with the latest OMC selection and the film that broke my Uwe Boll cherry
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:53 am

newly updated with lots of first time views including a movie in 3D,and movies from Jim Carrey, and Nikki Reed and a documentary
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:33 am

Bloo, I think there is some merit to what you said about us having similar tastes. Your thoughts on DUNGEON SIEGE are identical to mine.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:38 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Bloo, I think there is some merit to what you said about us having similar tastes. Your thoughts on DUNGEON SIEGE are identical to mine.

it's kind of scary my friend, kind of scary
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DaleTremont on Fri May 01, 2009 4:19 pm

I had an awesome movie month. Hands down, no question, best of the month was the Pusher trilogy. But I kind of feel like I'd be cheating by naming all 3 movies as one favorite so I'll go ahead and say Pusher 3: I'm the Angel of Death was the creme de la creme just for sheer ingenuity. The character work in all 3 films is brilliant (Mads Mikelssen gets the superstar prize, I think) but the very fact that Milo was in all 3 films and you see his evolution over 10 years culminating in that one really shitty night of this the day of his daughter's birthday...for me that just makes the 3rd film that much more special. Plus the fact that you have some of the more minor players showing up like Kurt the gentleman, Radovan, and the prostitute Mads refused to kill for his dad makes it seem like the perfect way to bring the story to an end while giving the illusion that it will still continue on, whether we see it or not (although hopefully Refn will do a Pusher 4!)

Anyway I'm rambling but suffice it to say these Pusher movies totally knocked my socks off.

Also, I have to give props to stereos for his stellar recommendation of Primo Amore, which was such a beautifully fucked up little movie. It seems like not too many people tackle the subject of eating disorders unless it's one of those cheesy 2pm Lifetime movies, and Garrone does it in a way that taps into more vital issues of love, loneliness, obsession, and domination. I'd say it's the best modern Frankenstein-ian story I've seen. It came as an especially nice surprise as I was slightly disappointed by Gomorrah.

Shit I promise I'll wrap this up! So worst of the month was tied between Mail Order Bride and Broken English, but really it was probably Broken English. See, Mail Order Bride was a hallmark movie starring Daphne Zuniga, and considering it probably had the budget of an episode of Seinfeld and it was a hallmark movie called Mail Order Bride, all told it wasn't too bad. I mean it was enjoyable for what it was. Broken English had a lot better cred to it to begin with. It starred Parker Posey, had a respectable art house pedigree, was written and directed by the daughter of John Cassavetes, and boasted a cameo by the director's mom, aka Gena Rowlands. But the movie was trite, recycled crap that had nothing new to say about anything and even somehow sapped all the charm out of the lovely and talented Parker Posey. So boo to that!
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 02, 2009 5:34 am

Best of April for me was Crank which for the lack of better words was just gloriously ALF.

Special mention to From China with Love that once and for all proved to me that Stephen Chow must be the silliest man on the planet.

Worst was Eragon which was still somewheer in the solid meh category.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat May 02, 2009 5:41 am

Hmm, let's see. Didn't watch too much new stuff this month.

BEST OF THE MONTH OF APRIL:

ROCKY. I would nail '70s era Talia Shire from every conceivable angle. And the movie ain't too bad either.
JACKIE BROWN. This would make the cut any month of the year.
THE WRESTLER. Great shit.
BATMAN & ROBIN. Awesome.

WORST OF THE MONTH:

GOJIRA. Eh, I don't think I should put this on here. I slept through a lot of it.
BATMAN & ROBIN. Awful.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT:

NETWORK. I had high hopes for you, NETWORK. You couldn't deliver.

BUTTERFACE OF THE MONTH:

Renée Zellweger in APPALOOSA.

(Edit: Alicia Silverstone gets runner-up for BATMAN & ROBIN)
caruso_stalker217

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat May 02, 2009 6:48 am

Best of Aprilnew films

Tie: Crank: High Voltage/Fast and Furious

Worst of Aprilnew films

Obsessed

Best of April previously seen:

Network/The Thing

Worst of April previously seen:

The Replacement KIllers(I actually like this film a bit)
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bloo on Sat May 02, 2009 6:53 am

BEST OF THE MONTH: hard choice, but I have to say NETWORK which I loved hands down. ROCKY a close second. MONSTERS VS ALIENS was stupid fun, as was FAST AND FURIOUS

WORST OF APRIL: I'm not sure, I don't know if I saw any movie that I thought was "bad" per se, I'll have to double check my list
EDIT: after reviewing my list I realized I had watched both BEHIND THE MASK and DEATH PROOF this month and both sucked...BIG TIME, poorly executed with good concepts behind them so ultimely very disappointing to me
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat May 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Saw a few more flicks this month.

April's Best:

THE WRESTLER - Fucking awesome performances from Rourke and Tomei. Great flick.

Worst:

HEAVY METAL - Neat concept, and animated nudity is cool, but the tone is all over the place.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun May 03, 2009 3:27 am

You know when talk of THE WRESTLER comes up and the comments on the acting, etc., so forth and you get the picture, you always hear people talking up Rourke and Tomei but I haven't heard anything about Evan Rachel Wood. Aside from Rourke I think she was my favorite part of the movie. Like she does the good acting and stuff. She's got the sad eyes when her dad lets her down and also the angry face when she's pissed and shit. And how about that last scene, huh? She's sitting on the floor there and she's saying how she doesn't hate him or love him and he's stroking her hair and it really hits home because it's true what she said, she's sitting there and she isn't acknowledging him at all, she doesn't try to get away from him but she doesn't embrace him, Rourke I'm talking about here, she doesn't embrace him but she doesn't push him away. Motherfuckin' pathos.

And, no, I did not bother to read this before posting. In case you were curious.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun May 03, 2009 11:47 am

I thought Wood was good, but there were a couple of scenes where I thought she was a bit over the top. Her acting was great in places, but when Rourke and Tomei were shining so brightly, she seemed to dull a bit.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Maui on Wed May 06, 2009 8:15 pm

Updated with more Lemon Tree, The Girlfriend Experience and some Rough and Corny stuff.
Maui
WoWie

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion