The Zone's 2009 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2009 Movie Journal

Postby justcheckin on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 pm

In 2007, I watched 127 new movies, in 2008, I got in 112... and I am only going to hit about 103 if that this year. DANG!!! Real life is stepping in on my film time.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Watched 430 something films/tv series this yr.

About 70 of them had an international release date of 2009.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby justcheckin on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:22 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:Watched 430 something films/tv series this yr.

Is it your job to watch movies? Cause I don't think I could work at a job that had nothing to do with movies and then be conscious for that many after work...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Didn't Chili start the year with the aim of seeing 365 films in 365 days?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:53 pm

justcheckin wrote:

Is it your job to watch movies? Cause I don't think I could work at a job that had nothing to do with movies and then be conscious for that many after work...

I wish! I just tend to watch a movie a day after work and more on weekends.

My fiancee actually catalogs film though. They get most stuff on 35mm before it's out in theaters for copyright protection, etc...
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Bloo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:50 am

Fried Gold wrote:Didn't Chili start the year with the aim of seeing 365 films in 365 days?

I had a similar goal and probably got close but I kinda fell off the grid when summer hit, if we get a 2010 journal thread I'll try and track better
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:51 am

As always, at the conclusion of this thread, feel free to list your favorite (or least favorite) film or films of the year. I'm still catching up on a few, so I'll probably post mine in a few days.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:54 am

I can tell you right now worst movie I saw this year was TWILIGHT NEW MOON

most disappointing was WOLVERINE

best (unless I see Avatar this week and it blows my mind) is DISTRICT 9
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:56 am

Also interesting to note how my film consumption has decreased over the years.

According to my journals, I saw 240 films in 2007, 128 in 2008, and I'm currently at 77 in 2009. I guess work and other crap seems to take priority. And I guess having a wife cuts down on that type of stuff too.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Al Shut on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:24 am

Bloo wrote: if we get a 2010 journal thread I'll try and track better

Get your spot while it's hot
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:23 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:My fiancee actually catalogs film though. They get most stuff on 35mm before it's out in theaters for copyright protection, etc...

Now that sounds like a match made in heaven :wink:

My goal is to marry the guy who owns my favorite local video store.

...I'm actually completely half serious.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:16 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
justcheckin wrote:

I wish! I just tend to watch a movie a day after work and more on weekends.

My fiancee actually catalogs film though. They get most stuff on 35mm before it's out in theaters for copyright protection, etc...

That is cool. Probably why you see more movies than I do. LOL!

Nachokoolaid wrote:Also interesting to note how my film consumption has decreased over the years.

According to my journals, I saw 240 films in 2007, 128 in 2008, and I'm currently at 77 in 2009. I guess work and other crap seems to take priority. And I guess having a wife cuts down on that type of stuff too.

Did you get married in 2008... cause you saw like half as many in 2008. That is a big drop but the whole getting married thing can take up a lot of time.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 am

I will say I saw THE BLINDSIDE tonight and it might not be the BEST movie of 2009 but I was impressed with it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:36 am

I find that pretty hard to believe, Bloozekiel. That was one of the worst trailers I've seen this year. Right up there with HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU, THE SPY NEXT DOOR and ALL ABOUT STEVE.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:32 am

maybe it's the subject matter (myself and all my siblings are adopted and my family does foster work), maybe it was some really good performances (I thought sandra bullock did a good job and I'm continually impressed with Tim McGraw's acting...Kathy Bates shows up as not a bitch), maybe because it's about football which I like I don't know but really it wasn't the worst piece of trash I've seen

and it's actually got some pretty laugh out loud moments

I will say it WASN'T worth the 15 min. wait in the cold I had to endure waiting in line, yes 15 minutes! I think that's the longest I've ever waited in line for and I've waited in lots of movies with lines including the Original Trilogy's rerelease (with all new effects!) on opening night, the Prequels on opening night, 2 Indiana Jones movies (Last Crusade and Crystal Skull) and Twilight New Moon
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:53 pm

Bloo wrote:maybe it's the subject matter (myself and all my siblings are adopted and my family does foster work), maybe it was some really good performances (I thought sandra bullock did a good job and I'm continually impressed with Tim McGraw's acting...Kathy Bates shows up as not a bitch), maybe because it's about football which I like I don't know but really it wasn't the worst piece of trash I've seen

and it's actually got some pretty laugh out loud moments

I will say it WASN'T worth the 15 min. wait in the cold I had to endure waiting in line, yes 15 minutes! I think that's the longest I've ever waited in line for and I've waited in lots of movies with lines including the Original Trilogy's rerelease (with all new effects!) on opening night, the Prequels on opening night, 2 Indiana Jones movies (Last Crusade and Crystal Skull) and Twilight New Moon

You waited in line for Twilight? LOL ;)

Actually, I've heard good things about The Blindside... and I like Sandra Bulluck a lot as an actress but All About Steve just wasn't all that funny. It was cute but nothing I should have seen at the theater.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:23 pm

I took my 13 year old sister to see Twilight because I'm just THAT good of a brother
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Bloo wrote:I took my 13 year old sister to see Twilight because I'm just THAT good of a brother

LOL, I'm glad my younger is a guy... who is 26. LOL
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Seems I watched about 290 films this year.

BEST OF THE YEAR:

AVATAR. It came in with its blue people and swept me off my feet.

WORST OF THE YEAR:

TWILIGHT. No shit.
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE. This was so fucking bad.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:53 pm

I didn't do an exact count but it's over 300.

Best of Year:
Inglourious Basterds

Worst of Year:
Adventureland
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Al Shut on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:55 am

Since I most likely won#t be seeing anything new today I can take a final look at my journal, starting with

December: Best was A Scanner Darkly. Until now I have avoided this because of the type of animation. Looking back I'm an idiot.

Worst was Jumper, I guess it must be too much to ask for a movie about teleporting people to make much sense.

Actual 2009 releases were awfully few with Wachtmen being the best (mostly due to source material) followed by Mesrine: Killer instinct and Public enemy No.1 (counted as 2009 releases with a bit goodwill), Wolverine, Star Trek (in that order), Gonger and Kill your Darling (both German, cheap, made for TV horror movies). Only 7 movies? :oops:

As for everything I saw for the first time I may go back and shuffle my list a bit but the best was probably the absolute glorious Crank the worst the boring and nonsensical accumulation of images that was called Return to cabin by the lake
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm glad you liked A Scanner Darkly, Al, it's one of my favs of the decade for realz. And yeah, Jumper totally sucked unfortunately.

I haven't sat down to compile a list of my best or worst of the year, for now it'd look something like this:

BEST

Inglourious Basterds, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Observe & Report

WORST

The International, Transformers 2, G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra

And I only watched 65 films this year, a record low since I started keeping track in 2007. Probably more than half of 'em were new releases though.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:14 pm

My best and worst of the year are the two most recent films I've seen in the theater.

BEST:

AVATAR. I don't think anything needs to be said.

WORST:

DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE MORGANS? Who thought Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker would be a good on screen couple. Oh yeah, the guy who knew who my two least favorite actors are and wanted to torture me.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:46 pm

Well, it really fucking hit home today. 2009 is over. So I guess I’ve got to do a bit of a retrospective on cinema of the year. I would like for all of you reading this to keep in mind that I have not seen THE HURT LOCKER, BRONSON, or BLACK DYNAMITE, which I understand to be outstanding pictures that may appeal to me greatly and I hope you will understand that is the reason they will not appear on this list.

SPANDAU’S 2009 CINEMA RETROSPECTIVE!

Best Picture of the Year 2009: WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
The director who put two Nicholas Cages on screen as co-leads once again uses special effects for a divine purpose. It’s not often that I see a movie that really puts you right there in a social situation like what it feels like when you’ve hurt somebody’s feelings or when one pouty guy is killing the mood of a whole group and this movie somehow not only does that perfectly, but also does it with semi-CGI people in monster mascot costumes. This film captured a lot of feelings for me such as the group dynamic and the joy of playing, exploring, and building together. It had a profound effect on me and it is by far the best picture I saw in 2009.

Best Old Movie That I Discovered Through the Miracle of Home Video 2009: THE MAN FROM HONG KONG
This movie answers the question: what would it be like if Bruce Lee had played John Shaft? Pure fucking retro 70s badass magic! Great flick!

Most Improved Movie of 2009: WATCHMEN
Man, the theatrical cut of this left me kinda unsatisfied, but with each new cut it has transformed into a movie I really like. There are still the same Snyderisms that bugged me about the theatrical cut, but the ultimate cut finally found all of the pacing and enough of the atmosphere for me to consider it a really good film.

Most Potential for Improvement 2009: JENNIFER’S BODY
I liked this film when I saw it in cinemas and haven’t check out the director’s cut that just hit DVD, but this is definitely the movie of 2009 where I felt its few problems could easily be solved with stuff they probably shot anyway but didn’t include. The true panic of the big tragedy at the roadhouse early on wasn’t completely sold to me and the movie lacked a bit of scope, but I feel these things could easily be fixed in a different cut of the same movie.

Mixed Feelings 2009: INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
I think like some people who heard Tarantino talk about a Basterds movie, then saw the ads for a Basterds movie, and then went to the cinema and got half a Basterds movie and Shoshana: The Movie, I kinda wished I’d just got a whole Basterds movie where we see them earn their reputation and live up to it instead of just hearing about their reputation most of the movie. I liked this film enough, and it may grow on me, but I still have.....mixed feelings.

Worst Movie 2009: TRANSFORMERS 2: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN
I usually don’t have trouble criticizing Michael Bay’s movies because they are usually just 90 minute trailers based on the trailers of other better formula movies. Bay made two LETHAL WEAPON 3 movies, he made a DIE HARD movie, he made a MIDWAY movie, he came the closest to making an actual movie when he made his LOGAN’S RUN movie, and with the first TRANSFORMERS he made his TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY movie with a bit of INDENPEDENCE DAY mixed in. But with TRANSFORMERS 2 he just abandoned all that shit and made a movie where I couldn’t even keep track of the basic principles of the mythology let alone the actual plots. One guy wanted to eat the sun for some reason unless another guy stopped him but that guy was dead and the only way to resurrect him was to get an artefact that didn’t exist and was only the manifestation of one’s goodness but it could be stolen blah blah blah. Unless the main characters in this thing were Megan Fox’s lips and a ball of fire, I couldn’t even tell you who was driving all this shit. My hat really goes off to Vern and everybody who tried to write about this thing like it was an actual movie or something.

Biggest Disappointment 2009: Pixar’s UP!
Man, this thing just keeps lowering its sites until it could trip over its own goals. Aside from arriving on WALL-E’s heels this things starts out with a montage of great emotional weight and then sets the stage for a pretty touching film about discovery like that movie I called the best movie of 2009, but then it just keeps deteriorating until it’s just some formula cartoon about beating the bad guy. It’s reckless endorsement of murder as a method of inter-generational bonding is fucked up and I honestly can’t believe how many Top 10 list I see this thing on.

Best Performance by a Man in a Male Role 2009: Nicky Cage in BADDER LIEUTENANT
This performance represents not only a new plateau for The Cage but for all actors.

Best Performance by a Woman in a Womanly Role 2009: Audrey Tautou in COCO AVANT CHANEL
She gives more than a typical biopic impression performance in this movie that feels a bit better than most biopics (but not much).

Best Performance by a CGI, Mo-Cap, or Puppet 2009: Billy Crudup in WATCHMEN
Man, when is this guy going to get the career he deserves? His performance in this movie was so solid. His voice and stillness just perfectly communicated his character’s fragility and wounded ambivalence. Hats off to both Crudup and his animators.

Biggest Proof I am G@y 2009: WHIP IT!
Yes, I payed to see this in theatres and felt all heartwarmed by it.
Runner up: THE YOUNG VICTORIA, yeah, seeing this makes me g@y too, but I wank to Emily Blunt so I’m not soooo g@y.

Dental Hygiene Award 2009: Michelle Rodriguez
Her big shiny Chicklets were gorgeous in 4 FAST 4 FURIOUS, but then seeing them in 3D in AVATAR made me just want to go home and floss.

Best Movie That Was Made Neither for Critical Acclaim nor Big Bucks 2009: DRAG ME TO HELL
Raimi delivered a good time at the movies that won’t win an Oscar but also doesn’t require you to say a bunch of apologist shit to justify liking it.

Best Sequel, Remake, Remaquel, Prequel, or Reboot 2009: 4 FAST 4 FURIOUS
I was watching this again the other night and I cannot wait until part 5. This series has turned into some weird epic like THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY where characters just drop in and out and come back in different combinations always in situations that can be resolved by car chases. I don’t know how they’re going to end this thing but I can’t wait to see it.

Worst Idea for a Movie 2009: TERMINATOR 4: SALVATION
Skynet sends a robot assassin to get close to John Connor and kill him by suggesting that he do something mildly risky puts the artificial back in intelligence.

Best Idea for a Movie 2009: CRANK 2
This movie also wins Best Comedy 2009. And in a related note....

Saddest Death 2009: David Carradine
So long grass hopper, may we all be reunited in the red circle.

Happiest Death 2009: Judd Apatow’s Career
Finally, this guy made a movie that made all my friends turn on him and now I don’t have listen to them try and sell me on the guy anymore.

Best 2010 Movie of 2009: BITCH SLAP
Holy shit this thing sat on the shelf long enough! The lead actresses’ implants must have baby implants of their own by now!

Biggest Headscratcher 2009: THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE
Whatever the fuck the point of the final scene / shot of this movie was, I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Anyway, thanks for the movies and the memories 2009, we hardly knew you.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:03 am

My wrap up for 2009.

It was a pretty good movie watching year for me. Got a little obsessed with the Danes for some crazy reason that may have started with the Pusher trilogy. And I had a veritable movie binge these last couple months, saw some classics that I can't believe I missed out on before and rewatched some classics that just get classic-ier with time.

MOST PURE CINEMATIC ENJOYMENT 2009
Drag Me to Hell. I haven't actually seen this since it was in theaters but goddamn that was a good time at the movies.
A close second would probably be Inglourious Basterds. The first time I saw it in cinemas I had to try to read Russian subtitles over German, and I don't have the proper language capabilities in either of those languages to pick up nuances. So that was tough. But I still loved it and dug it even more the second time, with full comprehension. Plus some of the things that bugged me about it the first time around (like the fact that QT recycled recycled music from Kill Bill) I was feeling more the second viewing. Plus, ironically enough considering the circumstances I saw it in initially, I'm a sucker for mixing cultures and languages with a genuine international cast. Then again that can go so horribly wrong...like for example...

WORST MOVIE 2009
The International. This had the disadvantage of starting out with a huuuge advantage. A Tom Tykwer movie starring Clive Owen and Naomi Watts about international espionage? Yes pleeease. So when it turned out to be a monumental bore I was triply disappointed.
Runnerup would be The Hangover...for the life of me I can't figure out how or why it was funny.

BEST RE-DISCOVERED MOVIE
I saw Starship Troopers around the time it first came out and I'm pretty sure my 10 year old self couldn't appreciate the brilliance. But holy shit watching it now...that is a great movie. The effects do indeed hold up remarkably well, the acting is surprisingly solid (with special props to the evil Kurgan Clancy Brown and that foxy redhead who played Dizzy), and the sense of humor behind it all is so in-your-face while somehow incredibly sly at the same time. Straight-faced sarcasm is a rare and beautiful thing, especially in a movie with co-ed showers and giant alien bugs.
Runner up: Wild Things. It's Denise Richards' world and we're all just living in it.

MOVIE THAT IS NOT REALLY THAT TERRIBLE COME ON LET'S BE REASONABLE HERE
New Moon. I know, I know. I'm not saying it's not terrible, it's just not THAT terrible. I know it's enormously and maybe unfathomably popular, but I didn't feel like it was a waste of time or money. There were wolves and a pack of wild Native American hunks and frolicking in meadows and ahh fuck it. I'm not gonna win this argument around here. *takes sparkly vampire and goes home*

Other movies I liked a whole lot this year: Up, Where the Wild Things Are, Taken, Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans

Other movies I didn't like a whole lot this year: Up in the Air, Mamma Mia
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:01 am

Saw 99 new films this year, and more I'm willing to count..

So I'll just post my top films of 2009

10. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

I freely admit that I LOVE the works of Nic Cage. There are a lot of people that say hes a hack, but I say different. He’s got a classic method actor type to him, and the man plays batshit crazy like no one else working today. Bad Lieutenant teamed Cage with batshit director Werner Herzog, and gave us the story of a cop who breaks his back saving a jailed inmate after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. The injury leads him to start smoking crack, weed, and more uppers and downers than what was in the trunk of Raoul Duke’s car. Just everything about this film is insane, to a degree that it cannot but helped to be loved. Hell, even Eva Mendes was grand in it! But when you have Nic Cage strung out on crack, and hasn’t slept for almost 4 days, telling a drug kingpin to shoot a guy who’s dead on the ground because “HIS SOUL IS STILL DANCING” (and you see the soul break dancing next to the body) you know you’ve witnessed a masterpiece that only few dare dream.

9. G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra

I think I was the only person in the world that had nothing but great expectations for this film BEFORE it came out. I love the post Deep Rising works of Stephan Sommers, and when I heard he was making G.I. Joe, I knew it was going to be something off the wall. While many others balked at my claims, and proclaimed that Transformers 2 would be the Hasbro film of the year, I was eventually vindicated when this bad boy hit the screens. Much like last years Speed Racer (which was my favorite film of 2008) G.I. Joe knew what it was, and ran with it. Sure, it’s kinda silly, but the film embraced the greatness of G.I. Joe the cartoon, and ramped it up for a real world take..if you can call booster suits real world. While Channing Tatum left a little to be desired as Duke, everyone else was a blast in this film. With Snake Eye’s jumping over flipped cars, the Effie tower being destroyed and a massive underwater battle being waged underneath the arctic circle, G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra proved to be the purest form of escapism this year.

8. The Hurt Locker

I really don’t give a shit for the post 9/11 war films. Most usually just wallow in self loathing of how we’re ruining everyone life being over there. While my political views don’t line up necessarily with that statement, Kathryn Bigelow threw that shit out the window and gave the world an old fashion war film in a modern setting. Jeremy Renner as the biggest lose cannon nut job that’s just too damn good at what he dose to be kicked out of the army. And what dose he do? He diffuses fucking BOMBS! And he’s damn proud of his work! Following him through his year deployment in Iraq was the edgiest ride of the year!

7. Crank High Voltage

Do I really need to explain why I love this film. It’s Jason Statham literally fucking some bullets! Add that to Giant Monster Statham, Robo Statham, and Hyper Fire mode Statham. Add a touch of public sex at Hollywood Park along with a stripper having her tits delfate after they’re pierced by a bullet, all shot on a Sony HD min cam, and you’ve got the makings of possibly the most chaotic movie of the year.

6. Where the Wild Things Are

Though I only waited 3 years for this movie, I’ve really been waiting for this film since I was 4 years old. I’m really glad that I’m the age I am when I viewed this near masterpiece, as it really hits a new cord with me. Beautifully shot, fantastically scored, Spike Jones could not have made a better film out of the book. You actually believe that Max Records is shooting his scenes with REAL Wild Things that the production crew some how manage to trap, train to act and emote on a level that will just tug at the strings of your soul.

5. Black Dynamite

2 years ago, Grindhouse came out. That film tried to be a loving tribute to the classic grindhouse era of film. They never came as close to that tribute as Black Dynamite did with its off colored tribute to the Blaxsploitation films of the 70’s. A triumphant return of Michael Jai White to baddassery that he once held after Spawn. I will forever utter the phrase “WHO DARES INTERRUPT MY KUNG FU” in the halls of my home!

4. Worlds Greatest Dad

Bobcat Goldthwait, the weird dude from those police academy movies. The man who lit Jay Leno’s chair on fire on the Tonight Show. No. I’m talking about Bobcat Goldthwith one of the most surprising writer/director working today. Worlds Greatest Dad is such a dark, yet touching film. Superbly acted by Robin Williams, as a failed writer who happens to be the loving father of a duchbag son. Things go awry and unlikely success stems from a great tragedy. While I always though of Bobcat as just a funnyman comic, if he continues to produce work like this, he may well go down in film history as a dark horse of brilliant filmmakers.

3. Coraline

All hail stop motion. The art is not dead, and Henry Selick is the man keeping the art alive. While CG animation might be the thing right now, there is a life and a soul in Coraline that could only be brought to the surface through stop motion animation. Combine that with the work of Neil Gaiman and watch as brilliance dances on the screen before your very eyes. The film is wild and imaginative, and never afraid to go to a darker place than normal kids fare!

2. The Fantastic Mr. Fox

Number 2 on my list is also another stop motion feature. This time from one of my favorite filmmakers working today. Wes Anderson. Based on the Roald Dahl book, Wes took the material, infused it with his own style, and brought it to life through stop motion. To Coraline’s state of the art stop motion techniques, Mr Fox is the opposite. Going for an old school style akin to the greatness of Gumby, or Rankin Bass specials.

1. UP

Pixar can do no wrong..plain and simple.. All I have to say is that if you hate this movie, you truly have no soul and a black heart.. OH, and be ready to get in line behind all of the murders and rapists because they’re getting into heaven before you! Up is just…perfect.

I like to also give a nice shout out to the following:

Avatar, Zombieland,Watchmen, Knowing, Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs, Outlander, Fanboys, The Hangover, The Brothers Bloom, District 9, The Haunted World of El Superbesto, Drag Me to Hell, Paranormal Activity, Sherlock Holmes and Inglorious Basterds
Last edited by bastard_robo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Bloo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:14 am

bastard, I gotta say it takes balls to put GI JOE on your top 10 list, I may not agree on it's placement, I can't argue with your argument

I too had a lot of fun with this film (as I did with Speed Racer)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:34 am

Bloo wrote:bastard, I gotta say it takes balls to put GI JOE on your top 10 list, I may not agree on it's placement, I can't argue with your argument

I too had a lot of fun with this film (as I did with Speed Racer)

I always get something like that every year. I enjoy popcorn films... and G.I. Joe is the one film I found myself going back to like a giddy 4 year old. It was like when I was 6 watching endless Godzilla films or Hook.. Just pure joy!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Maui on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:22 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
4. Worlds Greatest Dad

Bobcat Goldthwait, the weird dude from those police academy movies. The man who lit Jay Leno’s chair on fire on the Tonight Show. No. I’m talking about Bobcat Goldthwith one of the most surprising writer/director working today. Worlds Greatest Dad is such a dark, yet touching film. Superbly acted by Robin Williams, as a failed writer who happens to be the loving father of a duchbag son. Things go awry and unlikely success stems from a great tragedy. While I always though of Bobcat as just a funnyman comic, if he continues to produce work like this, he may well go down in film history as a dark horse of brilliant filmmakers.

Yeah, this movie was a pleasant surprise. Didn't you want to punch that douchebag son in the face????? Robin Williams was exceptionally good in this. It seems to be an overlooked film and it's a shame because it's worth seeing.
Maui
WoWie

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Maui wrote:
bastard_robo wrote:
4. Worlds Greatest Dad

Yeah, this movie was a pleasant surprise. Didn't you want to punch that douchebag son in the face????? Robin Williams was exceptionally good in this. It seems to be an overlooked film and it's a shame because it's worth seeing.

It is! And the kid from fucking SPY KIDS did phenomenal in this film! I've been doing nothing but hawking this movie to everyone I know.. I warn them its kinda dark, but I've gotten nothing but good response from everyone.
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:39 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Most Potential for Improvement 2009: JENNIFER’S BODY
I liked this film when I saw it in cinemas and haven’t check out the director’s cut that just hit DVD, but this is definitely the movie of 2009 where I felt its few problems could easily be solved with stuff they probably shot anyway but didn’t include. The true panic of the big tragedy at the roadhouse early on wasn’t completely sold to me and the movie lacked a bit of scope, but I feel these things could easily be fixed in a different cut of the same movie.

I liked this movie quite a lot too. It wasn't that scary or even all that gory, but I liked the old school feel and I really liked the relationship between Needy and Jennifer. I think if I had to sum up my problems with it, it was that sometimes Diablo went a little too far (i.e. when Jennifer gets impaled and she asks, "Do you have a tampon?") and then Karyn Kusama didn't do quite far enough. Actually that tampon line sounds kind of funny written down but it's just a little embarrassing when it's said on film.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Damn, reading these year end wrap ups makes mine summation seem flaccid. Nice job though, fellas. Nice to have you OLEGers participating in the Movie Journal.

Looks like I saw 80 films, total, this year. Quite a few less than other years, but it's been fun. Let's hope 2010 goes just as well.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:01 am

DaleTremont wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:Most Potential for Improvement 2009: JENNIFER’S BODY.

I liked this movie quite a lot too. It wasn't that scary or even all that gory, but I liked the old school feel and I really liked the relationship between Needy and Jennifer. I think if I had to sum up my problems with it, it was that sometimes Diablo went a little too far (i.e. when Jennifer gets impaled and she asks, "Do you have a tampon?") and then Karyn Kusama didn't do quite far enough. Actually that tampon line sounds kind of funny written down but it's just a little embarrassing when it's said on film.

That tampon line was probably the funniest one in the movie for me. But I get what you're saying, it was never completely zany nor was it one of those things like SCREAM where despite a few jokes it still functions seriously, but I guess that's what I liked about it. I've done some reading and apparently the director's cut does make it bit more off-the-wall.

I found it a pretty unique movie, and even though it's kinda flawed, I can see myself getting more re-watching value out of it than movies that are technically better.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:11 pm

My top ten of 2009

Inglourious Basterds

This film did it all for me this year. Good job Mr. Bananahead.

Pontypool

A nice surprise. Fucking solid bit of minimalist film making.

Bronson

Where did this Tom Hardy guy come from? Hilarious and bent.

Love the Beast

The only problem with this excellent documentary is having to endure Jay Leno speak. Leno is evenly matched with Tarantino for the coveted Mr. Bananahead Crown.

Bana was my choice for Mad Max 4. Oh well.

Public Enemies

Top two the first time seeing it but a second and third viewing left me a little flat. Most of Mann's films are like that for me though, it takes a few years to kick in. Lord Bale is fairly subdued until the "machine gun on the running board" chase when he properly fist fucks the Enemies.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Yikes, Mr. Cage, you need to make more films like this and less films like National Treasure. But, considering your financial woes of late, that's probably bad advice. There's something a little "off" about some of Herzog's films, especially this and Rescue Dawn. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I like it.

The Hurt Locker

Director Kathryn Bigelow has managed to make a handful of films in her career that contain more testosterone and balls to the wall action than most male directors can muster and this one's no exception(I heard she uses the word ponce fairly regularly when referring to other directors). This film is tighter than Taylor Swift's kunis. Great cameos, great pacing, great film.

The Last House on the Left

What the fuck. I can't really explain why I liked this film so much, but I did. The original is just one of those "test" films designed to see how much you can take but this is different, this one has something else. When the parents decide to take it to revengetown, I was hooked.

District 9

A lot has been made of the budget of this film but fuck all that shit, this was a Damn Good Film, full stop.

Black Dynamite

A little long but man, there is some fucking gold in them thar hills.

Runners up:

Crank: High Voltage

Terminator: Salvation

The Keeper

Anvil: The Story of Anvil

Watchmen

Zombieland

Fast and Furious
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Damn, reading these year end wrap ups makes mine summation seem flaccid. Nice job though, fellas. Nice to have you OLEGers participating in the Movie Journal.

Looks like I saw 80 films, total, this year. Quite a few less than other years, but it's been fun. Let's hope 2010 goes just as well.

It's funny I was looking at January of last year and holy fuck, did I watch a lot of films.
I was home for three weeks with the Newborn so that explains that.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:01 pm

I've just tallied up my numbers for the last three years and they look like so...

2007:
First time viewings: 94
Total viewings: 133

70.6% first time viewings

2008:
First time viewings: 114
Total viewings: 173

65.9% first time viewings

2009:
First time viewings: 120
Total viewings: 193

62.2% first time viewings

While my overall numbers are increasing every year, the percentage of first time viewings seems to be decreasing. Am I getting nostalgic as I grow older and more inclined to revisit old favourites? Am I becoming more risk-averse, preferring to stick to movies that I already know are good? Or maybe it's just that when I have fewer opportunities to watch movies, I'll tend to take the time to watch something new...
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:06 am

I only managed 68 first viewings in 2009
that seems a bit low, I'll be aiming for two a week in 2010, although to save money this will most likely mean more shit on tv I would normally avoid
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Judgeraye on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:33 am

Have i missed somewhere that you review The Warriors 1979 and Buckaroo Banzai 1984
Judgeraye
GLIB

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion