(Watching The) WATCHMEN! Reviews & Spoilers!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

(Rating The) WATCHMEN!

6%
15%
21%
21%
21%
8%
No votes
No votes
2%
No votes
Waiting for the DVD/Blu-Ray Director's Cut
2%
If I wanted to see blue dongs, I'd watch Siberian pr0n!
4%

Total votes : 52

Re: (Watching The) WATCHMEN! Reviews & Spoilers!

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:53 pm

This thread has turned into a straight up comedy. Funny stuff.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Watchmen and The Shadow. Definitely comedy.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby talkbacker with no name on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:15 am

DennisMM wrote:Watchmen and The Shadow. Definitely comedy.

Ah Dennis dear boy! I had to get out of the talkbacks and back inside where it's nice and fun. Been wondering what you thought of the Watchmen movie since our chat a long time ago before it's release. Can you spare me the trouble of going thorugh 400+ posts and sum your opinion up for me please?
"You're crazy to know who I am, aren't you? All right! I'll show you!"
talkbacker with no name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:33 pm

tapehead wrote:I think I got that - My response was more directed at the way the film's plot and conclusion erodes under scrutiny - Caruso is just pointing how how Dumbed-down Veidt is in the film, right?

If Veidt's not so smart, how does he fool everyone? I think next time I watch the film I'll try to consider that it's set in a similar but stupider universe than our own.

this is the approach i take towards pretty much every mainstream movie... and every episode of 24... and used to take towards heroes, til i realized there was no universe stupid enough to make that show make sense.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DennisMM on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 pm

talkbacker with no name wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Watchmen and The Shadow. Definitely comedy.

Ah Dennis dear boy! I had to get out of the talkbacks and back inside where it's nice and fun. Been wondering what you thought of the Watchmen movie since our chat a long time ago before it's release. Can you spare me the trouble of going thorugh 400+ posts and sum your opinion up for me please?

talkbacker! How are ya?

Here's my review. Hope folks don't mind my reposting it. It wasn't a proper review, because I couldn't marshal my energies for the effort. But it encapsulates my thoughts even though it ends abruptly.

In 1986, director Jean-Jacques Annaud adapted Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose for the screen. In the opening titles he referred to the film, credited to four writers, as a palimpsest of Eco's novel. A palimpsest is a document from which the original content has been erased and overwritten, but on which traces of the older text may still be read. Eco's novel, heavily concerned with the interpretation of events in context and with text itself, became on film a straightforward mystery featuring a number of exciting action sequences.

Zack Snyder's Watchmen is a palimpsest – a well-meaning one, and an efficient compression of the original comic's plot line – but still an overwriting, one in which most of the original has been lost. It squeezes the core events of the comic, including some of the flashback sequences, into 150 minutes. In doing so, writers David Hayter and Alex Tse accomplished what Terry Gilliam and Charles McKeown decided 20 years ago they could not. Rather, Gilliam and McKeown decided they should not, that Watchmen was better unfilmed. They may have been right.

The problem with Watchmen isn't that it's a bad movie. It's not. Snyder has made a seriously flawed but entertaining film that's filled with interesting images and which features several fine performances. It's much better than 300 - far less self-indulgent than that film and much less dependent upon gimmicks. But Snyder has taken Watchmen, the Ulysses of masks and capes, and turned it into just another superhero movie. I enjoyed Watchmen on the level on which it was willing to operate, most of the time. The two and a three quarter hours were diverting. But when it was done, I wished they'd never made the movie, because it's empty. It tries to be more than it is, but it lacks even the emotional depth of a Spider-Man 2.

As the old jazz musician said to his student, "You played all the notes, but the song wasn't there."

Watchmen the comic, like Eco's novel, is concerned with its plot only on the surface. As significant as the events Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons recount is the subtext contained by the plot. Much is made of Watchmen the comic being a deconstruction of superhero comic books. The tropes and images of classic superheroes were part and parcel of the project, down to employing Dave Gibbons – as much a silver-age artist in his look as any penciller of his generation. Even the book’s engine of destruction was a variation on classic monsters-from-the-stars. The film’s version of deconstruction appears to stop with making Nite Owl's costume look like something Christian Bale might wear and putting nipples on Ozymandias's Schumacher-style armored suit. Perhaps it doesn’t stop there – perhaps fast-cut action sequences, utterly brutal violence and giant explosions were employed to examine the nature of modern superhero stories. But it didn’t feel that way.

Central to the book is the tone of doom that often permeated the 1980s. The nuclear brinksmanship of Ronald Reagan and several Soviet premiers is at the heart of the story. As a result, the popular culture of the book is suffused with motifs of death and horror, from mmmeltdowns candy to the bands Krystalnacht and Pale Horse (led by Red D'eath) to the graffiti, seen more than once, “ONE IN EIGHT GO MAD.” At the same time, we're presented with a retreat into an idealized past, as represented by the ads for Veidt's Nostalgia perfume and aftershave. While the film touches on the topic, it's more a McGuffin than a theme. Nixon plays Dr. Strangelove games. Nena's “99 Luftballons” plays in a restaurant. Dan Dreiberg dreams of a nuclear detonation. Rorschach theorizes the mask killer is out to stop the retired “Watchmen” from preventing nuclear war – as if half a dozen people in funny suits could somehow prevent a nuclear conflict. The Rorschach of the book plays it straight – soon there will be war, he says, and millions will burn. He can do nothing to stop it and, in the end, he refuses even to try. (On this key point, Snyder allows his Rorschach to agree, as he must for the story to continue. And the true irony of both versions is that one person in a funny suit does prevent the war.)

The conflict in tone between book and film creates, I believe, the biggest problem with the changed ending. Dr. Manhattan as perceived villain can work if the audience accepts certain prerequisites. I didn't accept them, but as most of the world seems to have done so, I'll give the plot device a pass for now. Veidt's bombs destroy midtown New York and other cities, but in their aftermath, we are left without horror. If Snyder meant to evoke the aftermath of Ground Zero, the crater in the great city, I believe he failed. As Jon and Laurie stand at the edge of the destruction, they look over rubble, jagged and burned but generally tidy. They could be standing on the edge of a volcanic crater. There is no “Hiroshima with bodies,” as Moore put it, just blackened wreckage. The briefly seen news vendor and teenager don't lie piteously amidst the devastation, with Dr. Long's and others' bodies scattered about. It’s just a hole in the ground.

To learn that Adrian Veidt has killed fifteen million people is to hear a statistic. To see even a handful of people we've come to care about, lying dead, would have been to know a tragedy.

This reticence on Snyder's part seems odd given his embrace of crudity generally throughout the film. At times the director seems to be reaching for sentiment, but his reach exceeds his grasp. Moore's brutal but realistic fights, suggested sex and occasional profanity were not sufficient, so Snyder settles for crassness. Eddie Blake liberally drops the word, "fuck" as if it were an all-purpose modifier. Dan and Laurie, in Dan's dream, cast off their false selves to reveal the heroes below; the shells, however, come away accompanied by disturbing tearing sounds, their interiors suggesting raw meat. The two hump frantically, straining for an elusive simultaneous orgasm, as a dirge-like version of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” pollutes the soundtrack. Laurie shoves a knife through a man's neck and uses him as a shield against bullets. One of the Big Figure's henchmen dismembers the other with a circular saw. Rorschach repeatedly hacks a man in the skull with a cleaver.

Even when lower-key, the violence is highly stylized, on the edge of ludicrous. Middle-aged and out-of-shape, Dan and Laurie not only hit like Bruce Lee but can fling opponents ten feet with a simple side kick, the wire work being all too obvious at times. They break bones effortlessly and graphically, taking down dozens of Riker's Island prisoners - including one with a strong resemblance to Oh Dae-Su – with hardly a deep breath. Dan even stands up to the world’s greatest fighter for a short while, trading a flurry of kicks, punches and spins not to be taken seriously by anyone who has read the comic or ever watched a martial-arts-based fight.

That's it. Maybe I'll have more in the DVD review. Maybe not. I really need to discuss the performances and where I think the script went wrong, but have I the strength? I dunno.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby talkbacker with no name on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:34 am

Thanks man. Have to say I agree with all your points (if not able to express them as well). The main one being the over the top stylised violence to only then cop out at the end, leaving the death of millions pretty souless. If they were going to go thorugh with that style it should have at least been consistant to the very end in my opinion.

An interesting companion piece to the one you wrote around the time of the books release you sent me, but have you any idea how fucked up it was to watch Watchmen with a constent thought throughout of "I wonder what dennis thinks of this?" hehe
talkbacker with no name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm sorry. If it's any succor, I forced myself to see it twice so that I could take lots of notes. I haven't sat through a movie I didn't like much, twice, in decades.
DennisMM

Postby talkbacker with no name on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:50 am

DennisMM wrote:I'm sorry. If it's any succor, I forced myself to see it twice so that I could take lots of notes. I haven't sat through a movie I didn't like much, twice, in decades.

I know what you mean. I have the directors cut on bluray and have watched it 4 times now hoping it will get better with each viewing. I wouldn't say it gets worse though..just...um...the same. I've never felt like this about a film. Very odd.
talkbacker with no name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:23 am

My plan was to rent the DC (or extended edition, whatever it is), then wait to make a purchase until Christmas, when the third cut will include "Black Freighter" and scenes with the two Bernies, supposedly. Now I've heard that cut will only be available in a five-disc set limited edition. FIVE discs? Jeezus, this isn't Blade Runner. It's a mediocre superhero movie! No way will I pay $100 (or even $75) for that version, no matter how many extras. Guess I'll wind up buying the DC, after all. Better check Wal*Mart.
DennisMM

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:17 am

DennisMM wrote:My plan was to rent the DC (or extended edition, whatever it is), then wait to make a purchase until Christmas, when the third cut will include "Black Freighter" and scenes with the two Bernies, supposedly. Now I've heard that cut will only be available in a five-disc set limited edition. FIVE discs? Jeezus, this isn't Blade Runner. It's a mediocre superhero movie! No way will I pay $100 (or even $75) for that version, no matter how many extras. Guess I'll wind up buying the DC, after all. Better check Wal*Mart.

it's like $25 at my local Wal-Mart
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 am

Yeah, it's about $25. Though with mah discount I do reap the benefits!

Okay, so it knocked off like $2.50. SO WHAT? FUUUCK YOU!
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:39 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Yeah, it's about $25. Though with mah discount I do reap the benefits!

$2.50 is $2.50 bascially it covers sales tax
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:57 am

Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Yeah, it's about $25. Though with mah discount I do reap the benefits!

Oregon doesn't have a sales tax. :)
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:02 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:

Oregon doesn't have a sales tax. :)

fuck I'm moving to Oregon
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:05 am

I believe we pay both state and federal taxes as a result, though. They're definitely fucking us with those income taxes.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:27 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I believe we pay both state and federal taxes as a result, though. They're definitely fucking us with those income taxes.

dude in Kansas, we have a sales tax, and then each town can up the sales tax to pay for various crap...and then in the hotel industry we charge what we call an "occupancy tax" which basically is another way to screw tourists

we also pay our share of federal and assorted sales taxes
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:32 am

I don't try to understand it. I pay the monies.

So how 'bout that WATCHMEN flick?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:51 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I don't try to understand it. I pay the monies.

So how 'bout that WATCHMEN flick?

I bet Adrian doesn't pay that much in taxes, rich fuck
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Colorado has state income tax and state sales tax, and local sales taxes. And occupancy tax. They're not all that high, but people still bitch their asses off, then complain when state and local services aren't up to their liking. They should look at Value Added Taxes in the EU and Canada - up to 25 percent.

Is that $25 for Blu-Ray, or regular DVD? I don't have Blu-Ray yet, and won't until they come up with a reasonably priced Blu-Ray recorder.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:20 pm

DennisMM wrote:My plan was to rent the DC (or extended edition, whatever it is), then wait to make a purchase until Christmas, when the third cut will include "Black Freighter" and scenes with the two Bernies, supposedly. Now I've heard that cut will only be available in a five-disc set limited edition. FIVE discs? Jeezus, this isn't Blade Runner. It's a mediocre superhero movie! No way will I pay $100 (or even $75) for that version, no matter how many extras. Guess I'll wind up buying the DC, after all. Better check Wal*Mart.

It's a rip-off of, almost, epic proportions which Watchmen doesn't really deserve.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

It's a rip-off of, almost, epic proportions which Watchmen doesn't really deserve.

it's a joke! it's all just a joke!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:23 pm

"I wonder how you're going to do Watchmen?"

Long pause...

"Very carefully"

Just watched the Making of 300 featurette, and it ended with exactly those lines spoken between Zack Synder and Frank Miller. No editorial comments from me, as I have yet to actually see Watchmen (though I now own a shiny new DVD as of yesterday), but a fun little 5 second exchange that birthed a hell of a Zone thread...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:33 pm

DennisMM wrote:Colorado has state income tax and state sales tax, and local sales taxes. And occupancy tax. They're not all that high, but people still bitch their asses off, then complain when state and local services aren't up to their liking. They should look at Value Added Taxes in the EU and Canada - up to 25 percent.

Is that $25 for Blu-Ray, or regular DVD? I don't have Blu-Ray yet, and won't until they come up with a reasonably priced Blu-Ray recorder.

Colorado huh, maybe we should do a Midwest Zoner meet up some time LOL

I didn't check the Blue Ray price because I don't have one of those fancy BR players either so it's $25 for the regular DVD is the price I saw
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:13 am

I think the closest there has been to a Midwest meetup has been the SciFi Spectacular in Chicago, which attracted a number of us in '07 and '08.

I picked up the DVD DC at KMart on the way home, as it's only a quarter mile out and I have to pass it, anyway. $23. I'm disappointed at the limited number of special features listed. I suppose I shouldn't sneer until I've seen them.
DennisMM

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:06 am

DennisMM wrote:I think the closest there has been to a Midwest meetup has been the SciFi Spectacular in Chicago, which attracted a number of us in '07 and '08.

I picked up the DVD DC at KMart on the way home, as it's only a quarter mile out and I have to pass it, anyway. $23. I'm disappointed at the limited number of special features listed. I suppose I shouldn't sneer until I've seen them.

I was also disappointed at the lack of features. But this is Warner Bros. we're talking about. Their DVD releases fucking suck. I mean, come on, don't I deserve a commentary track at least?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:14 am

has WB ever released a nice full out balls out DVD
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:20 am

They either skimp on the goods or they go overboard like that 18 disc chromed steel suitcase/coffee bean grinder ultimate BLADE RUNNER the director's cut for real this time shit they put out that not everybody would want to blow their hard-earned Wal-Mart monies on if you know what I'm fucking saying.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:52 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:They either skimp on the goods or they go overboard like that 18 disc chromed steel suitcase/coffee bean grinder ultimate BLADE RUNNER the director's cut for real this time shit they put out that not everybody would want to blow their hard-earned Wal-Mart monies on if you know what I'm fucking saying.

and half of those discs are digital copies
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:04 am

Oh how I loathe the digital copies. :evil:
caruso_stalker217

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:57 pm

I don't understand the point of digital copies. Is that meant to go on your hard drive or something? Doesn't most every laptop/desktop come with a DVD drive these days?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:47 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I don't understand the point of digital copies. Is that meant to go on your hard drive or something? Doesn't most every laptop/desktop come with a DVD drive these days?

Not everyone knows how to rip a DVD to their computer.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Bloo on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:27 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I don't understand the point of digital copies. Is that meant to go on your hard drive or something? Doesn't most every laptop/desktop come with a DVD drive these days?

so they can charge more
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby travis-dane on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:42 pm

Digital Copy= watch the movie on your Cell phone or I Pod. Nothing more, nothing less.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:51 pm

Ah. I don't watch videos on anything other than a TV or my laptop, so that explains it. I'm not sure I'd want to watch a movie on an iPod or cell phone, but whatever.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 pm

Anyone who wants to watch Bladerunner on their iPod gets a punch in the balls from me.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Bloo on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 pm

I can't even watch porn on my ipod let alone Blade Runner...or Watchmen
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DennisMM on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:01 pm

I wouldn't watch Watchmen on my laptop. Too much on the screen to register at that size.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Ah. I don't watch videos on anything other than a TV or my laptop, so that explains it. I'm not sure I'd want to watch a movie on an iPod or cell phone, but whatever.

I have a couple of films backed up in Ipod format (Batman Begins and Alien), just for something to watch on a plane trip along with some Simpsons episodes. It's not a platform to use regularly for film watching.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:03 pm

Watchmen Watchmen Watchmen or any other comic book movie that ends with man or men or women or woman or any other comic and/or geek movie right at the top of the Zonie charts for this bored man to watch.

Don't you guys have a boring black and white foreign movie about Tiger Sharks or something to watch and talk about? Or what about povhumiliation.com movies? That's for losers.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:49 pm

tapehead wrote:Anyone who wants to watch Bladerunner on their iPod gets a punch in the balls from me.

What kind of frakked up nutless wonder would try to viddie Bladerunner on an Ipod?
That's like peeping through a keyhole to watch your parents shag.
Just. Don't. Do. It.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Are you saying that you'd prefer all of us to pull up a chair and sit there watching our parents shag instead? Or better yet for the full interactive 3D realism effect, we should join in? Or to really do the piece justice and to make sure it gets a widespread audience and doesn't flop - we should invite our mates round to join in? Or download it on the net so EVERYONE in the world can watch?

OK!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DennisMM on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:28 am

I see Rupert's been drinking again.
DennisMM

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:48 am

Actually, watching a movie on iPod or some other small format is the ultimate test of a movie's quality. If some genre flick is great on an iPod, then balls out, I will probably buy it. And even if I don't, it says a lot about a movie if you can enjoy it *tiny* screen.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:29 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Actually, watching a movie on iPod or some other small format is the ultimate test of a movie's quality. If some genre flick is great on an iPod, then balls out, I will probably buy it. And even if I don't, it says a lot about a movie if you can enjoy it *tiny* screen.

Fair enough, no ball-punch for you then - though it's not an 'ultimate test' of anything, in my opinion - it might be a test of the film's durability that it can still entertain after being so reduced and minimised, but, although I will resort to watching those 12" screens when I'm on a plane, when we get down to iPod size, I think I'd rather just read a book. I can stand a bit of tv on an iTouch or a PSP though.

I had an idea for a PSP/iPhone hat that would have a broad brim with sides you would mount the unit on about a two feet from your face for long trips... and I'm building a prototype, so no-one steal my brilliant idea.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:33 am

tapehead wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:Actually, watching a movie on iPod or some other small format is the ultimate test of a movie's quality. If some genre flick is great on an iPod, then balls out, I will probably buy it. And even if I don't, it says a lot about a movie if you can enjoy it *tiny* screen.

Fair enough, no ball-punch for you then - though it's not an 'ultimate test' of anything, in my opinion - it might be a test of the film's durability that it can still entertain after being so reduced and minimised, but, although I will resort to watching those 12" screens when I'm on a plane, when we get down to iPod size, I think I'd rather just read a book. I can stand a bit of tv on an iTouch or a PSP though.

I had an idea for a PSP/iPhone hat that would have a broad brim with sides you would mount the unit on about a two feet from your face for long trips... and I'm building a prototype, so no-one steal my brilliant idea.

I just sold your idea for eleventybilliondollars!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby tapehead on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:44 am

This is like the Flesh-light fiasco all over again...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:52 am

For once I'll be the guy trying to get a thread back on track. I finally watched my handy dandy WATCHMEN DIRECTOR'S CUT and after all is said and done I didn't think it was too shabby.

Some of the stuff they put back in I really liked, such as the Hollis Mason shit. There was some additional stuff in the Laurie/Manhattan/Mars shit that I enjoyed, especially the part about Laurie banging Dan. There was other stuff like additional gore and violence that wasn't really necessary to the story or whatever but didn't detract from it either and whatnot.

It was mostly the little stuff that bugged me a little. I saw this shit three times during its theatrical run, so I was used to the funeral scene and other sequences being a certain length. Here they are extended slightly, little bits here and there, so the Cylon and Garfunkle song stops in a different spot when it cuts to Laurie being teleported and I guess that's a dumb criticism or observation or whatever, but it was noticeable.

I enjoyed the scene where Laurie is being held by the fuckin' G-Men and they're questioning her and whatnot and she roughs a dude up a couple times, but then for some reason they really jump the gun with the reveal that The Comedian is her father. I don't understand why they'd show that so early. Kinda makes the scene on Mars a little redundant. But I'm not a fancy Hollywood filmmaker. I'm just the guy who pays to see the movies, so what do I know?

The part where I thought the additions or re-insertions or whatever you want to call them dragged the film down was during Manhattan's origin. In the theatrical cut he goes all emo and makes all the bad reporter folks disappear and then it cuts straight to him on Mars. Simple. Here, it shows the empty studio and some stuff with Hollis Mason and the Manhattan stuff on television which I thought was unnecessary. Some real TERMINATOR 2 shit, like what got pulled in TERMINATOR 2. The extended version.

I also liked the way the alley fight was juxtaposed with Manhattan on the chat show in the theatrical version, which didn't have Laurie and Dan talking about how fun it is brutally murdering street thugs afterward.

Overall, I thought this version was solid. There were some extra moments between the characters that I enjoyed, but I thought the theatrical cut was a tighter film and it is my preferred version. I'm sure I'll end up buying that version, just like I did with Jackson's KONG. I mean sometimes it's good to bring this shit in under three hours.

I don't know who the fuck would want to see this with all the Black Freighter/Under The Hood shit. Ridiculous.
caruso_stalker217

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:44 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Are you saying that you'd prefer all of us to pull up a chair and sit there watching our parents shag instead? Or better yet for the full interactive 3D realism effect, we should join in? Or to really do the piece justice and to make sure it gets a widespread audience and doesn't flop - we should invite our mates round to join in? Or download it on the net so EVERYONE in the world can watch?

OK!

Pick one.
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Are you saying that you'd prefer all of us to pull up a chair and sit there watching our parents shag instead? Or better yet for the full interactive 3D realism effect, we should join in? Or to really do the piece justice and to make sure it gets a widespread audience and doesn't flop - we should invite our mates round to join in? Or download it on the net so EVERYONE in the world can watch?

OK!

Pick one.

Can I not just watch you? I wanna learn from the master himself. :) No sarcasm intended. 8-) Anyway, threadjackoff over.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:30 pm

Cheeky monkey.

No cameras.
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion