Star Trek Into Darkness

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Star Trek XII

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:39 pm

TheButcher wrote:From AICN: News From TCA On HULK II(I), THE AVENGERS, CABIN IN THE WOODS, STAR TREK XII, VIEW-MASTER, V, LOST, FRINGE & More

Hercules!! wrote:“Fringe” co-creator Roberto Orci, screenwriter of the 11th and upcoming 12th “Star Trek” movies, calls “Heroes” star Greg Grunberg’s suggestion to cast Grunberg as Ha rry Mudd in an upcoming sequel “a good idea.”

From io9:
Roberto Orci: Star Trek 2 Won't Follow Transformers 2 Formula

Bad casting.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:56 am

Greg Grunberg get's associated with everything JJ Abrams does.

Wasn't he "confirmed" at one point to be Scotty?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:59 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
TheButcher wrote:From AICN: News From TCA On HULK II(I), THE AVENGERS, CABIN IN THE WOODS, STAR TREK XII, VIEW-MASTER, V, LOST, FRINGE & More

Hercules!! wrote:“Fringe” co-creator Roberto Orci, screenwriter of the 11th and upcoming 12th “Star Trek” movies, calls “Heroes” star Greg Grunberg’s suggestion to cast Grunberg as Ha rry Mudd in an upcoming sequel “a good idea.”

From io9:
Roberto Orci: Star Trek 2 Won't Follow Transformers 2 Formula

Bad casting.

Yeah, John Lithgow should get the part.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 pm

FU... needs to be Bob Hoskins or Brendan Gleeson.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:54 pm

Those are both good choices.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:10 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:FU... needs to be Bob Hoskins or Brendan Gleeson.

Brendan Gleeson would be an inspired choice.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 am

a better choice would be not having harry mudd as a character in the next film at all.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:53 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:It's not too late for them to fuck it up. They could use the Federation time cops that were introduced in the TNG era to fix everything.

Federation time cops?

I think it was a "Voyager" episode. There was some kind of rift or some such thing and Janeway was about to go into it when a ship popped up out of nowhere and told her she couldn't. Turned out that sometime in the 25th century someone found a ridiculously easy way to do time travel so the Federation had to monitor time lines and fix things that got changed. They showed up a couple times but I don't remember exactly where.

I don't quite recall it (especially being Voyager) but I guess it led into the time travel stuff and "Future Guy" in Enterprise.

I think all of the time cops in Enterprise were from the 30th century, while Bruce McGill and his ship on Voyager were from somewhat earlier like the 27th century. But there were also contemporary time cops during the 24th century as seen on the DS9 episode where Sisko and the gang went back to the TOS Enterprise during the trouble with tribbles. They have to question him in his office to make sure that he didn't fuck anything up, and he sheepishly admits that he couldn't resist talking to Captain Kirk for a few seconds. I don't know what those time cops (I think they were called T.I.: Temporal Investigations) would have done if they found out something was fucked up, though.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:18 pm

hmmm, i sense a potential spin-off series. T.S.I: Time Scene Investigation.
and they can have even more spinoffs - TSI: Vulcan, TSI: Romulus, TSI: Andoria, and on and on to infinity, and beyond!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:55 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:It's not too late for them to fuck it up. They could use the Federation time cops that were introduced in the TNG era to fix everything.

Federation time cops?

I think it was a "Voyager" episode. There was some kind of rift or some such thing and Janeway was about to go into it when a ship popped up out of nowhere and told her she couldn't. Turned out that sometime in the 25th century someone found a ridiculously easy way to do time travel so the Federation had to monitor time lines and fix things that got changed. They showed up a couple times but I don't remember exactly where.

I don't quite recall it (especially being Voyager) but I guess it led into the time travel stuff and "Future Guy" in Enterprise.

I think all of the time cops in Enterprise were from the 30th century, while Bruce McGill and his ship on Voyager were from somewhat earlier like the 27th century. But there were also contemporary time cops during the 24th century as seen on the DS9 episode where Sisko and the gang went back to the TOS Enterprise during the trouble with tribbles. They have to question him in his office to make sure that he didn't fuck anything up, and he sheepishly admits that he couldn't resist talking to Captain Kirk for a few seconds. I don't know what those time cops (I think they were called T.I.: Temporal Investigations) would have done if they found out something was fucked up, though.

When I read that I was thinking they were from "Section 31" but you're right, it was the "Department of Temporal Investigations".

And with Voyager there were so many "timeship" things which they seemed to use ad-hoc, to tell a story and hit a reset button at the end.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:...there were also contemporary time cops during the 24th century as seen on the DS9 episode where Sisko and the gang went back to the TOS Enterprise during the trouble with tribbles. They have to question him in his office to make sure that he didn't fuck anything up, and he sheepishly admits that he couldn't resist talking to Captain Kirk for a few seconds. I don't know what those time cops (I think they were called T.I.: Temporal Investigations) would have done if they found out something was fucked up, though.

When I read that I was thinking they were from "Section 31" but you're right, it was the "Department of Temporal Investigations".

Oh, yeah. I think they shared fashion consultants with Section 31. They dressed all in black just like Bill Sadler did after he outed himself and Section 31's existence to Sisko.

TheBaxter wrote:hmmm, i sense a potential spin-off series. T.S.I: Time Scene Investigation.

It'd take place in the 28th century, and at the end of every episode the TSI team from the 29th century would show up and say, "Don't worry about it, guys. We got it."
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:20 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:23 pm

From SciFiWire:
J.J. Abrams reveals Fringe, Trek 2 and MI4 news
Fred Topel wrote:
Where are you in talks for Star Trek 2?

Abrams:
We're hopefully going to have everyone, obviously, from the first cast. I keep trying to spread this rumor that I'm going to recast Kirk as Greg Grunberg, but no one ever prints it.

Have you settled on what direction you're going to take it?

Abrams:
We're just starting on that. Yes, we know the direction, but it's very early. We're working on a script right now still. I can tell you it's cool. We have some really cool ideas, but it's too early.

So Orci and Kurtzman have physically started writing?

Abrams:
No, but we've started talking story, and Damon's writing it with them.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:24 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:20 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 am

from MTV video interview:
EXCLUSIVE: J.J. Abrams Talks About The Possibility Of Recasting Khan For 'Star Trek' Sequel

From AICN:
Oh No They Khant!! Oh, Yes They Khan!! But, Will They??
Merrick wrote:My first reaction to this is that...as wonderful a character as Khan was in "Space Seed" and THE WRATH OF KHAN...we've never really seen his army of genetically engineered supermen actually behave like an army of genetically engineered supermen. What does that look like? How wicked would a whole slew of those assholes be...in action...when led by Khan the warlord? That I wouldn't mind seeing, and could make pretty awesome foils for the new cast.

I don't want to see a rehash of Star Trek 2. I want to see something new. Abrams should save Khan and his supermen for part 3.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Star Trek 2: Electric Boogaloo

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:19 am

so sorry wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Star Trek 2: Electric Boogaloo

My rant has just turned into smoke and vanished that to this....I can't stop laughing. :lol:
Can we have Van Damme dancing in the background?

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek 2: Electric Boogaloo

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:26 pm

TheButcher wrote:
so sorry wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Star Trek 2: Electric Boogaloo

My rant has just turned into smoke and vanished that to this....I can't stop laughing. :lol:
Can we have Van Damme dancing in the background?

i can see it now. captain ozone of the starship entahprize, with his vulcan first officer turbock and kelly as uhura, prancing around in her short 60s miniskirt, boldly pop-and-locking where no man has pop-and-locked before.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Star Trek 2: Electric Boogaloo

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:39 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i can see it now. captain ozone of the starship entahprize, with his vulcan first officer turbock and kelly as uhura, prancing around in her short 60s miniskirt, boldly pop-and-locking where no man has pop-and-locked before.

whoa! That was the original series premise. Don't tell me they are just plain stealing now.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 am

I don't mind them using the Khan character again, but I don't see the point in doing a reboot of a series simply to seguay into a remake. I'd rather they used the character in some new way. Since this reboot is all about an alternate Star Trek universe, maybe make Khan and Kirk as unlikely allies or something.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:43 am

Spandau Belly wrote:

I don't mind them using the Khan character again, but I don't see the point in doing a reboot of a series simply to seguay into a remake. I'd rather they used the character in some new way. Since this reboot is all about an alternate Star Trek universe, maybe make Khan and Kirk as unlikely allies or something.

Or perhaps, in this universe, Khan and the Eugenics Wars haven't happened yet.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: JJ's STAR TREK 2

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 am

just as long as Khan's ship is called the Cordoba, and the captain's chair is upholstered with fine Corinthian leather....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:11 pm

here's how the movie will start.

Chris Pine as Kirk: "Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly ...

voice breaks in.
"Yo! Chris! i'm really happy for you, and i'ma let you finish.... but William Shatner had one of the best star trek opening narrations of all time!"

followed by the title card:

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan-ye
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:21 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan-ye

OMG.

You know, it's strange how JJ has managed to do so well... Cloverfield had some dark shit in it, and whilst Star Trek - Muppet Baby Academy, was all fanfare and bombast, I really think he could pull off a darker Khan-type Star Trek telling too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:32 pm

just wait until John Lequizamo is cast as Khan, for "Star Trek: Wrath of Pest", talk about dark......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby justcheckin on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 pm

I am game for a new Star Trek movie but, like so many of you, I hope they do something new with Khan (if they use the character). Since the timeline is different the possibilities are endless. I particularly the flying pancake episode. Bring back the flying pancakes!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:29 am

Khan's spaceship will have fuzzy dice hanging from the view screen and he will say "chico" a lot...

And he will be played by Scott Hall as Razor Ramon.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:30 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

That's an interesting idea. Or maybe the Vulcans could be responsible for the Eugenics Wars. They are almost extinct in this rebooted universe.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Options for next film
1. Khan
2. Big fark-off space battles with the Klingons/Tholians/giant unknown spaceship
3. Something partially stolen from Harlan Ellison
4. A story where the crew is accidentally shrunken down to size of ants, and Harry Mudd (played by Nick Frost) appears for some reason.
5. Something original.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:35 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

That's an interesting idea. Or maybe the Vulcans could be responsible for the Eugenics Wars. They are almost extinct in this rebooted universe.

I don't know if there's been any retconning recently, but the Eugenics Wars occurred in the 1990s when referenced in TOS. Fucking with baby Kirk's timeline wouldn't change that.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:44 am

RogueScribner wrote:
TheButcher wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

I don't know if there's been any retconning recently, but the Eugenics Wars occurred in the 1990s when referenced in TOS. Fucking with baby Kirk's timeline wouldn't change that.

That makes sense.
How about this for an idea: The Eugenics Wars part 2!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Great Montalban's Pecs!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee;

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Actual facts (via trekmovie.com):

Roberto Orci on Trek
- Script team "will be having preliminary conversations on all the areas we are gravitating towards, then meditate over Christmas and hit the ground running in the new year.
- Even though Abrams is now planning for Summer 2012, Orci & Kurtzman "have time slotted" for Trek in early 2010 and could "maybe get it in early".
- Orci is preparing for writing the sequel by looking at "classic (non-Trek) great epic sci-fi stories", including works of Arthur C. Clark, and "watching The Original Series again front to back"
- On whether Star Trek could work on TV again, Orci states: "I have to say yes…good stories are good stories and some of the stories in the Trek vault are the best stories around. It is just a matter of the energy and the context of putting it in there."
- Orci would be interested in producing a new "Star Trek" TV show, but not being show-runner, agrees Manny Coto would be a good choice.

Damon Lindelof on Trek:
- Lindelof on aiming for 2012 release: "we would be hard pressed to get anything on screen for 2011, if that is the case we better get to writing right now".
- The team has "reached consensus" on the elapsed (in universe) time between Star Trek and the sequel, but they will not reveal that detail now.
- Cites the time setting of Bourne Ultimatum, which takes place partly during the events of the previous films, as something he admires noting "one of the things we like to do as story-tellers is drop you in the middle of something and the question you are asking yourself is ‘where am I in relation to the last time I left these guys? Could this be something that pre-dated some of the adventures they had in the first movie? Does it happen five years later? Is it happening two seconds later?’ We are not going to tell you".
- To prepare for writing the sequel he has been looking at other sequels he loves, including Aliens and Mighty Joe Young (1949 film somewhat related to 1933 King Kong).
- "There is something people come to expect from a sequel to a movie like this which is: bigger, badder, louder, more bad guys. I think the idea of saying ‘Do we have to do that? Is there something else we can do that is off the beaten path?' I don’t know if this is going to be called ‘Star Trek 2′ or ‘Star Trek colon something’…We want to give the audience an experience that feels that it is not a sequel, in all the best ways".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:02 pm

Yeah, like the words "Star" and "Trek" aren't going to be in the title! :roll:

Perhaps they could call it Star... I don't know. Something else that rolls off the tongue.

I got it. What about....

STAR WARS!!!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:31 pm

‘Star Trek colon something’

So its going to be something medical?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

No. By saying "colon something" Lindelof is just being coy. The real title is going to be "Star Trek: Up Your Ass."
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby The Vicar on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:04 am

Fievel wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:

No. By saying "colon something" Lindelof is just being coy. The real title is going to be "Star Trek: Up Your Ass."

I dunno - it could be anatomically related, like a sequel to Spock's Brain.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Re: From Hell's heart, I stab at thee;

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 am

Bat-Khanuel?

so does this mean Khan doesn't age?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kanye

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:21 am

From Trek Web:
Harlan Ellison Wants to Work with J.J. Abrams in Star Trek XII

According to TrekToday, famed science fiction author Harlan Ellison, writer of the fan favorite TOS episode "The City on The Edge of Forever", thinks highly of Star Trek director J.J. Abrams and wouldn't hesitate to get involved with the Star Trek XII production team if he were contacted by Abrams or Paramount. Here are excerpts of their report.

"I would jump at the chance to work with the inordinately-talented J.J. Abrams on a new Star Trek film," Ellison wrote at his blog.

"Yes, I would likely try to steer him toward the original film idea I was asked to pitch, by the late Gene Roddenberry and a production exec whose name I have blissfully flensed from memory (but he had been, if I recall, a hairdresser or clothing designer or ex-boyfriend of someone or other, and he kept trying to press me to include the Mayan Calendar)."

"If the very smart Abrams didn't want to go that way, I would be wide-open to rethinking such a film from the git-go," said Ellison.

"If anyone out there thinks this melding has legs, let Abrams or anyone else with the chops to get in touch with me directly," he said. "I am without full-time film-agent representation, by choice, at the moment; so if the job presents itself, I will work for pay."

More from Ellison on the original article at TrekToday.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kanye

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:22 am

...that can't end well. Ellison will get cranky half-way through production and start a lawsuit against somebody.

Besides his idea for The Motion Picture involved time-travelling snakes which try to change the course of human history.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TK-421 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Besides his idea for The Motion Picture involved time-travelling snakes which try to change the course of human history.

Snakes On A Space Ship, anyone? Samuel L. Jackson could just reprise his role from Lucasverse, thus finally mending the fiery chasm of hate between Star Wars fans and Trekkies. Or just inciting numerous hate crimes.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:30 pm

TK-421 wrote:
Snakes On A Space Ship, anyone? Samuel L. Jackson could just reprise his role from Lucasverse, thus finally mending the fiery chasm of hate between Star Wars fans and Trekkies. Or just inciting numerous hate crimes.

First and foremost...you really should be at your post...

Fried Gold wrote:Besides his idea for The Motion Picture involved time-travelling snakes which try to change the course of human history.

Wasn't the main theme for Generations a wispy looking "ribbon" (very snake-like if you ask me) that side-winded it's way through space transporting anyone caught in it to a time warp of their most wonderful fantasies...

I'd say "Mission accomplished"...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:52 pm

From Coming Soon:
J. J. Abrams' Star Trek Sequel Sets its Stardate!
I hope the world doesn't end before June 29, 2012.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:53 pm

TheButcher wrote:From Coming Soon:

I do. More than ever before.

I mean, I saw a clip of Star Trek where Kirk and Spock are all gayly looking at the camera and Kirk says 'You got it'. Looked so shit. Can't stomach a sequel to such cheesiness let alone watch any MORE of it from that film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 am

From Cinema Blend:
The Next Star Trek Could Start Shooting This Year!
Update! Trek Movie claims that according to their sources, Star Trek: The Next will only start pre-production this year.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:11 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheButcher wrote:From Coming Soon:

I do. More than ever before.

I mean, I saw a clip of Star Trek where Kirk and Spock are all gayly looking at the camera and Kirk says 'You got it'. Looked so shit. Can't stomach a sequel to such cheesiness let alone watch any MORE of it from that film.

Yup, because one scene clearly is representative of a whole film.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Clearly it's not, he didn't mention any lens flare
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:15 pm

I just recently watched JJ's Star Trek. Didn't like it, didn't hate it. Fell firmly right in the middle. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing another one from JJ to see where he takes it.

Bring it on, lens flare and all!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion