Star Trek Into Darkness

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: JJ's STAR TREK 2

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:03 pm

I wasn't really expecting Nimoy to return in Trek 2, they've told his story, but it sounds like it's official. Leonard Nimoy is apparently retiring from show-business.

story here

Enjoy your retirement, Leonard! It's well-earned.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DennisMM on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Now he can hunt mysteries and legends without being pursued by a camera. Or just spend all day watching TV in his robe and slippers. Hail and farewell, Mr. Nimoy.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 pm

DennisMM wrote:Now he can hunt mysteries and legends without being pursued by a camera. Or just spend all day watching TV in his robe and slippers. Hail and farewell, Mr. Nimoy.

Ha! I remember watching "In Search Of" back in the day!! Used to love watching that.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:48 pm

In Search Of was awesome
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 am

no rebooted khan? make it so, number one.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:44 pm

reading through the comments on that story makes me want to hold a giant Trekkie convention and then set the building on fire.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:reading through the comments on that story makes me want to hold a giant Trekkie convention and then set the building on fire.

...And then setting the burnt rubble on fire.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:21 pm

And then going out for some delicious iced creams maybe?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:reading through the comments on that story makes me want to hold a giant Trekkie convention and then set the building on fire.

...And then setting the burnt rubble on fire.

.......and then pissing on the fire to put it out

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Ribbons wrote:And then going out for some delicious iced creams maybe?

This.

Peven wrote:.......and then pissing on the fire to put it out

Not this.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:31 pm

aawww man, we never do what I want to do.... :twisted: :(

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:33 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 am

From Trek Movie:
JJ Abrams wrote:We are working on it now. The script is being sort of fully outlined and then the writers will start working on the script. But, the story is really cool!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 pm

From THR:
Viacom COO Touts 'TMNT' and 'G.I. Joe,' 'Zoolander' Sequels for Not-Too-Distant Future
On the company's earnings call today, Viacom COO Tom Dooley noted a few projects that the company is looking to produce for release beyond next September.

Star Trek 2 was already known. It has a release date of June 29, 2012 and Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof are hammering out the script as we speak. They're supposed to deliver it by the holidays. J.J. Abrams, who is producing, hasn't committed to climbing back into the director's chair, but the studio definitely wants him. (He's working hard on Super 8, which Paramount has slotted for June.)

The other projects Dooley mentioned were a second G.I. Joe movie that Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are writing and the Jack Ryan reboot that Jack Bender is directing.

More surprising, he listed a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie (the company spent $60 million to acquire global and merchandising rights to the franchise a year ago for its Nickelodeon label). Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes banner have been developing a screenplay with writers Art Marcum and Matt Holloway.

And blissful news for Derek Zoolander fans: Dooley also included the Zoolander sequel that Justin Theroux is writing for himself to direct. Sounds like Ben Stiller could be back on the runway as the really, really ridiculously good-looking model sooner rather than later.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:51 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:28 pm

From Hero Complex:
‘Star Trek’ writers: ‘We have broken the story’ for sequel
Geoff Boucher wrote:
The 2009 reboot of “Star Trek” was a shining moment for fans of sci-fi and spectacle films and the sequel, due in 2012, may well follow the box-office trajectory of the Christopher Nolan Gotham City films — “Batman Begins” earned the credibility with fans old and new and then “The Dark Knight” delivered the billion-dollar payoff. “Star Trek” writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, the tandem that also penned “Transformers” and next summer’s “Cowboys & Aliens” and also created the Fox sci-fi series “Fringe,” are back to script the sequel. I caught up with the screenwriters, who talked about the challenges ahead and also shared a playful aspiration — an on-screen showdown between Captain Kirk and Darth Vader.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:22 am

boy, i sure hope they can put it back together again...

* cue rimshot gif *
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am

TheBaxter wrote:

boy, i sure hope they can put it back together again...

* cue bad Scotty impression *

Fixed it for you.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:40 am

From The Playlist:
J.J. Abrams Says Paramount Already Asking For ‘Star Trek 2’ To Be In 3D
Will Decide On Whether Or Not He Directs Once He Gets A Script
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:57 pm

From The playlist:
EXCLUSIVE: ‘Let Me In’ Director Matt Reeves Weighs His Next Options, Hopes To Make ‘The Invisible Woman’ Soon - ‘Cloverfield’ Sequel Not Coming Anytime Soon; Filmmakers Still Trying To Find An Idea They Like
This time last year, we were being pretty vociferous in our opposition to Matt Reeves’ “Let Me In.” As an Americanized remake of a recent, widely acclaimed Swedish film, “Let The Right One In,” it seemed to symbolize everything that’s wrong with contemporary cinema, and we were dreading the thing. This means we’ve been left happily eating crow for the past few months after the film hit last fall and turned out to be terrific: deeply personal, beautifully crafted on every level and yes, superior to the original.

It marked the arrival of a major directing talent in Reeves, who made a mark with his sophomore directorial feature, the J.J. Abrams produced monster movie “Cloverfield,” but showed enormous growth in his sophomore effort: almost every time a hot directing project has come up around town, including, “Pride & Prejudice & Zombies,” “Superman” and “The Wolverine,” Reeves’ name has been mentioned, although he’s yet to sign to anything.

The Playlist managed to talk to Reeves yesterday to get the skinny on what might be next, and while he doesn’t appear to be any closer to a decision, there were some useful tidbits. Firstly, despite reports of a sequel to the modest hit “Cloverfield,” that doesn’t seem to be happening any time soon. “Well, ‘Cloverfield 2’ we haven’t really decided what that would be yet,” Reeves told us. “So that won’t be next.” We can’t say we’re surprised—with Reeves being so in demand, we can’t imagine a return to the found-footage genre being particularly enticing considering how virally that technique has spread into common movie grammar.

Instead, Reeves is spending his time fielding various offers, as well as trying to get a long-time dream project, the period drama “The Invisible Woman,” off the ground: “But ‘Invisible Woman’ I’m trying really hard to pull together. And I’m also reading a lot of scripts. One of the great things about the reception of [‘Let Me In’] is that there are a lot of interesting projects being sent my way. So I’m reading stuff and hopefully in the next couple of months I’ll choose exactly what I’m going to do and probably try and find a way to marry, with the schedule, a way to do ‘The Invisible Woman’ as well. So that’s what I would love to do.”

It certainly sounds like Reeves is cooking up a plan and that he would consider helming a big studio film to leverage a way to get his passion project off the ground, but we’ve already got a penny jar labeled “The Invisible Woman” in the Playlist office just in case. Despite sounding like a genre picture, “The Invisible Woman” is in fact a Hitchcockian thriller, mixed with a character drama, which at one stage had Naomi Watts attached, although that’s no longer the case.

There were no hints at what offers might be coming Reeves’ way, but with Mike White vacating the “Pride & Prejudice & Zombies” director’s chair recently, it’s possible that Lionsgate might make another approach. Meanwhile, with J.J. Abrams still unconfirmed (and potentially wavering) as the director for “Star Trek 2,” it’s feasible that he could turn to his longtime cohort if he decides not to make that film, which should go before cameras this summer. In the meantime, “Let Me In” hits DVD & Blu-Ray next Tuesday, February 1st, and even if you were one of the many who missed in theaters, it’s worth picking up sight unseen. —Reporting by Drew Taylor
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:31 am

TheButcher wrote:From io9: Beware spoilers!
The Romance That Will Change Star Trek Forever

uh, not much of a spoiler, considering they are talking about "Star Trek", the movie that came out two years ago....check the date of the article, April, 2009

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 am

Peven wrote:
TheButcher wrote:From io9: Beware spoilers!
The Romance That Will Change Star Trek Forever

uh, not much of a spoiler, considering they are talking about "Star Trek", the movie that came out two years ago....check the date of the article, April, 2009

I missed that. I feel like such a tool. :oops:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:52 am

Star Trek reboot 1 didn't feel enough sci fi for me but it was a damned good action movie (Scotty was a bit of a joke though).

I'm kinda looking forward to Star T2ek.

I'm pretty sure that even if it won't be that sci fi it'll still be a fun ride.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 pm

papalazeru wrote:Star Trek reboot 1 didn't feel enough sci fi for me but it was a damned good action movie (Scotty was a bit of a joke though).

I'm kinda looking forward to Star T2ek.

I'm pretty sure that even if it won't be that sci fi it'll still be a fun ride.

Nice job, papa, you summed up all of my thoughts about this franchise in 3 lines. Couldn't agree more, except that I'd say that I'm still "definitely" looking forward to Star Trek 2 instead of "kinda". ST was my favorite action movie of the year it came out. Agreed about Scotty too, I hope they give him a little more to do in the second film other than the occasional 1 liner.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Yeah, making a buffoon out of Scotty kind of pissed me off too, but I guess when you cast Simon Pegg in the role there is likely to be some comedy fallout involved. And I'm not adverse to that, but the prolonged sequence in the water tube was a time waster. Scotty, out of all the Enterprise officers one could name, is the one most likely to ask "who farted?" Just don't make him too damned clownish. Guys an engineering genius...never forget that!!!
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Bloo on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:25 pm

The Vicar wrote: Scotty, out of all the Enterprise officers one could name, is the one most likely to ask "who farted?" Just don't make him too damned clownish.

for some reason, this REALLY made me laugh
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:00 pm

My work is done.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby papalazeru on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:27 pm

I think the one thing that really needs to shine through in the new movie is the old dynamic between the holy trinity.

Bones and Spock have to piss each other off, Kirk has to wind them both up with his endearing disregard for anything they say, and when shit needs to happen, they are all on it like flies.

Well, to be honest, the last part doesn't really need to happen but I would like to see them all work towards that dynamic because essentially they are the same people. I hope JJ doesn't mess around too much with that formula.

I'm not forgetting the other characters and their interactions, it's just you are able to play around with them a bit more, like how Uhura's relationship with Spock worked and how Scotty didn't.

I also want to see Scotty wtih the same level of anxiety whether Kirk asks for a drink, or a life threatening situation - I always thought that was entertaining in the original show.

Oh, and Scotty has to lose the munchkin, and the bad comedy action scenes, the accent can stay because it was pretty shit in the original
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:33 pm

*Shakes head*

I'd rather just not see another.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 pm

I am definitely looking forward to seeing ST2 and am pretty confident that it will not let me down, either

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:23 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:24 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Although I respect DigitalSpy trying to be classy and all, the more accurate headline would have read 'Pegg: Star Trek 2 script is amazeballs'
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm

And really it isn't Pegg saying the script is Amazeballs, but Pegg saying that he has HEARD the script is Amazeballs.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Amazeballs by Whamo!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:01 am

Leckomaniac wrote:And really it isn't Pegg saying the script is Amazeballs, but Pegg saying that he has HEARD the script is Amazeballs.

That would be a perfect title for SPACEBALLS 2.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am

TheButcher wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:And really it isn't Pegg saying the script is Amazeballs, but Pegg saying that he has HEARD the script is Amazeballs.

or the spiderman reboot...

THE AMAZEBALLS SPIDERMAN

with soundtrack by Paul McCartney of course -- Maybe I'm AMAZEBALLS
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 am

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:

or the spiderman reboot...

THE AMAZEBALLS SPIDERMAN

IPAMPILASH
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: JJ's STAR TREK 2 (Now w/ 100% More Amazeballs)

Postby digbudug on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:26 am

Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, the screenwriting/producing duo behind Star Trek and Cowboys and Aliens, are working on the film version of Orson Scott Card’s science fiction novel Ender’s Game.
As you already know from some previous reports, the movie will be directed by X-Men Origins: Wolverine helmer Gavin Hood.
Orci tweeted:
“Ender’s Game! Us (K/O), Oddlot, and Gavin Hood taking his amazing script to the town! Who wants some?”
We’re interested! Odd Lot Entertainment is producing and Gavin Hood came on to direct and rewrite the script, which needed some extensive polishing because Orson Scott Card has said that he wants a “film where the human relationships are absolutely essential an honestpresentation of the story” and won’t let it get made unless that’s the case.

http://www.hollywoodtrailers.net/2011/0 ... %99s-game/
digbudug
digbudug
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:36 am

Screen Rant @ WonderCon Interview:
Roberto Orci Talks Star Trek 2
Reporting on-site from WonderCon, we interview Roberto Orci who says that ‘Star Trek 2′ will explore family themes- and address fan criticisms of the first film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2011 6:53 am

Can 'Star Trek 2' Morph From 70-Page Outline To Summer Tent Pole In 13 Months?
Paramount isn't confirming any of this, but I'm told that there soon should be good news and bad news on the Star Trek sequel front. The good news: With his film Super 8 set for release June 10, JJ Abrams is expected to announce shortly his return as director of Star Trek 2. The bad news: Even moving at warp speed, Abrams will be hard pressed to make the June 29, 2012 release date that the studio set for the film. I'm told that the move being considered right now is to push Trek back for a Holiday 2012 release. This comes after Paramount pushed back the other franchise film in its arsenal that has Chris Pine as its star. Pine's also playing Jack Ryan in the reboot of the Tom Clancy-created series. Pine was expected to shoot that film first, but the script wasn't ready. Paramount hired David Koepp to rewrite Adam Cozad's script. Koepp just began writing this week after completing his film Premium Rush.

Why is Star Trek in such precarious shape, just 13 months before its release date? The film has three top-flight writers in Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof. Like Abrams, all of them have been busy on other films. Kurtzman directed Welcome to People. Orci has been busy on Cowboys & Aliens and in prepping the Gavin Hood-directed sci-fi epic Ender's Game. Lindelof has been busy working on Prometheus, the Ridley Scott film for Fox that was conceived as a 3D prequel until Lindelof came on to do a rewrite and changed the concept so much that they consider it an original. The result? It doesn't sound like they are close to having a script that will live up to the high quality of the first film that revived a dead franchise. On the Trekkie fan site Trekmovie.com, Orci confessed this week that they have a 70-page outline, and are waiting for Abrams to commit so that they can really get going. Well, that is hardly an enviable position to be in, exactly 13 months before the release of the film. Orci suggested in the interview they could prep the film from an outline. That is hard, particularly for a sophisticated, futuristic science fiction film. This is basically what happened on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and director Michael Bay has been open about the fact that the rush to make a release date with a script that wasn't ready hurt the film. The cost of a Vfx-heavy film rushing like this raises the budget considerably.

Don't be surprised if Paramount and Abrams push back six months at least. While Paramount doesn't have the Marvel movies anymore, the studio could slot its G.I. Joe sequel for that early-summer release (I've heard other studios are now eyeing that date, too). Unless Koepp does an amazing job quickly and gives the studio a Jack Ryan movie that's ready to go, Pine is still expected to shoot Star Trek first. According to the studio, nothing falls into place until Abrams declares his intention for the Trek sequel.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:35 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion