Francis Ford Coppola's TETRO

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Francis Ford Coppola's TETRO

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Francis Ford Coppola's TETRO

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Trailer

Also a new interview with Coppola where he discusses his career renaissance can be found here
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon May 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Hahahhaaaa!! Fuxake man, what goes on in your head?!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Mon May 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Regarding FG: IPAMP!

Regarding trailer: that is some wacky shit right there...worth a look for sure (although I don't like Vincent Gallo)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Vincent Gallo is in this? Pass . . .
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 04, 2009 6:25 pm

IPAMPILASH, FG!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 pm

so sorry wrote:...worth a look for sure (although I don't like Vincent Gallo)

RogueScribner wrote:Vincent Gallo is in this? Pass . . .

Man, a guy gets his cock out and waves it around a few times, people just won't let you forget it...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Vincent Gallo looks like the bastard love child of Viggo Mortensen and Denis Leary and is 100 times as full of himself.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Mon May 04, 2009 9:25 pm

I wonder if he gets his dick sucked while breakdancing in this movie...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon May 04, 2009 10:31 pm

boy that movie looks like a lot of pretentious bullshit.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby King Psyz on Mon May 04, 2009 10:32 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:boy that movie looks like a lot of pretentious bullshit.

And that's just in refrence to Vincent Gallo... Add in everything else and it might implode from the sheer gravitation force of it's self importance
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon May 04, 2009 11:10 pm

King Psyz wrote:

And that's just in refrence to Vincent Gallo... Add in everything else and it might implode from the sheer gravitation force of it's self importance

LOL
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby King Psyz on Tue May 05, 2009 2:55 am

ooh ooh ohh

can we have a new word filter?

Vincent Gallo = Pretentious Bullshit
& visa versa

Pretentious Bullshit = Vincent Gallo

man that could be seconds of fun right there...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby judderman on Tue May 05, 2009 5:44 am

seconded.

heh heh. Me like whale sharks. Can I see a whale shark playing Tetris? That'd be cool...

Anyhoo, this movie looks at least coherent (which makes it better than Youth Without Youth), interesting (which makes it better than The Rainmaker) restrained (which makes it better than Bram Stoker's Dracula) and physically endurable (which makes it better than Jack). Still, I'm not convinced. Which says a lot about Copolla's recent output.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TonyWilson on Tue May 05, 2009 5:58 am

I quite like Gallo (right wing bullshit excepted of course), Buffalo 66 is brilliant and his albums are pretty cool too.
This looks very interesting, almost like a Guy Maddin film (which I bet most of you fuckos would think was pretentious as well :twisted: ). And Francis Ford Coppola going back to family rivalry and exploring the creative process is pretty perfect for the director of the Godfather and head of the multi-talented Coppola family.

And, Youth Without Youth > Benjamin Button
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Seppuku on Tue May 05, 2009 10:20 am

I'm really not seeing the pretentiousness here. It just looks like a visually willful and engaging take on the family theme that's captivated Coppola for most of his career. I'm also interested in seeing the dramatization of his relationship with his father Nino Rota.

I've got to say, I kind of hate the word "pretentious" as a blanket criticism. If you think the acting looks forced, or the directing style overwrought, or the dialogue trite or anything else about the movie- well, say it! Words like "pretentious" are diseases, to maintain the status quo!!! You've got to have some kind of pretense in order to go out on a limb and do anything worth a damn in life. Pulling off the pretense is another matter.

Also, I'm not entirely sure I can +1 Tony Wilson on "quite liking" Vincent Gallo. It's like he wrote a list of what makes a good, compassionate person and decided to do the exact opposite. That being said, after listening to his lo-fi album "When," (with song titles like "My Beautiful White Dog") I do think it might be a whole lot of bluster. In my experience, most brash and egotistical people are just trying to keep the world at bay with their rock hard exterior. But seeing as how this exterior is all I'll be seeing, I'd take a raincheck if I ever got an opportunity to have a tet-a-tet with the guy.

Not that I've ever (consciously) let an actor's personal life factor into my decision to watch a movie. Thinking about everything the actor, director or best boy has ever done just ain't the way to watch a film. You might as well bring a computer into the cinema with you and write twitter updates every five minutes if you're that disinclined to surrender to a movie.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby King Psyz on Tue May 05, 2009 10:32 am

My thing with Gallo is his idea that every frame of celluoid shot by him or with him in it is spun gold, and usually ends up a total bore.

And sorry, but from that trailler, FFC and VG together seem to think they shit brilliance. The slow fadeins, shot in B & W, I don't know... Maybe it's just not my thing, but you have to admit this is the kind of movie art students make to show how incredibly genius they are and usually bore and confuse everyone who sees them.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue May 05, 2009 1:36 pm

Gallo may be a pompous Struggling Background Artist according to reports anyway. He is however decent behind the camera and in front of it. I think Bufallo 66 is a good and Brown Bunny is even better. Brown Bunny was way too experimental for some people and that is completely understandable and its not a fault of the viewer or Gallo himself as he made the film he wanted to. In front of the camera Gallo has been good as well. He has good performances in his own films as well as the Abel Ferrara movies Ive seen him such as The Funeral and Mary (he was one of the better things in Mary honestly).

His music is actually pretty decent as well if your into instrumental type stuff.

So yes the guy may be a dick but It's not going to ever stop me from seeing stuff he does or is in.

I am definitely looking forward to this Coppola film and hope its better then the horrible Youth Without Youth, which I wanted to like but didnt think Coppola formed a coherent thought in.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 05, 2009 1:42 pm

For more pretentious bullshit, see Coppola's last film.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 05, 2009 1:48 pm

I don't think I've enjoyed a Frank Coppola movie since before I was born back when Apocalypse Now and the first two Godfather movies came out. Man those were some good days back when I was a pre-fetus.

How about his daughter? When does she have a new movie coming out? She's at least had two good films released during my lifetime. Actually we need a Asia Argento Sofia Coppola co-directed project. Make that happen.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 06, 2009 4:07 am

There's a different trailer up on Apple:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/tetro/

And boy howdy, if you thought the last one made it look pretentious, you're definitely not gonna like this one! I'm not sure how I feel about it yet either, but I will say the cinematography looks very nice.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:42 am

Well, it's a real shame this movie came and went from the world with little to no fanfare, because it's actually pretty good. Nothing huge is at stake and it's not exactly a universal problem (son of egomaniacal composer has trust issues), but the characters are all interesting, the cinematography is beautiful, and Vincent Gallo gives a great performance as the irritable avant-garde Struggling Background Artist Tetro (which even if you don't like the guy you must admit is perfect casting). A nice piece of small, intimate storytelling, and probably the best film Coppola's made in over 20 years.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:56 pm

I will say that the light metaphor was kind of stupid and a little pretentious in the way people seemed to fear this movie would be, even though I think I see what Coppola was going for. But by the end when Tetro says "You can't look at the light" about a bunch of cars, I think he may have taken it too far.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Francis Ford Coppola's ‘The Godfather’

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:01 am

Variety:
HBO Developing ‘Godfather’ Behind-the-Scenes Movie From Black List Script (EXCLUSIVE)

THE CANON 23 | 4/20/15
THE GODFATHER TRILOGY

Fried Gold wrote:Image

Deadline: The Bart & Fleming Podcast Episode #6: The Godfather
In Episode 6 of The Bart & Fleming Podcast, Peter Bart and Mike Fleming Jr. share stories about Francis Ford Coppola and the creation of The Godfather films. It comes on the heels of Coppola’s recently released The Godfather Notebook that offers an unprecedented in-depth look at the making of the iconic movie.

Deadline:
Francis Ford Coppola In His Own Words: The Day That Started ‘The Godfather’

THR:
Inside Francis Ford Coppola's 'Godfather' Notebook: Never-Before-Seen Photos, Handwritten Notes
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie Discussion