The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Dark Tower (New reports of a trilogy and Series)

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:59 pm

this is pretty bad news. ron howard is an ok director at best, but after seeing the shitty job he did with davinci code (which should have been a slam dunk to turn that into a decent film) i can't imagine him possibly making a good dark tower film. the books may be better material than davinci code, but they're also much more difficult to adapt and make work as a film. plus, howard does not have the balls to portray the darker and more intense parts of the story. give it to somebody like david fincher or even ridley scott and maybe they could bring the right tone and approach; but ron howard, no way.

i'm not too bothered, because really i think the only way this can work is as a series on HBO, and even then it would be a big challenge. since we don't know at what point the film(s) would end and the series would pick up, it's hard to know whether this approach makes sense. and if the films don't do well, would that doom the tv series? because i'm not so sure this is really very commercially viable as a film.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:45 pm

TheBaxter wrote:this is pretty bad news. ron howard is an ok director at best, but after seeing the shitty job he did with davinci code (which should have been a slam dunk to turn that into a decent film) i can't imagine him possibly making a good dark tower film.

Ron Howard made one terrific movie that I know of (Apollo 13). But I think he did an excellent job with DaVinci Code - he took an absolutely terrible book and made a pretty watchable film out of it. Sure, most of that was done with casting; Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen, Alfred Molina, Paul Bettany, Jean Reno ... that's a tough bunch to beat. Audrey Tautou was unknown to me, but she did a good job.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 pm

I had to take a break from reading the third book in the series... holy crap, is it a faux-pas to say that Stephen King is not THAT great of a writer?

His plotting and ideas are good enough, but his pacing goes off... I think he's trying to mix too many things together in the story, or rather he may be mixing those elements poorly. Also his dialogue is completely grating at this point, and his characterizations veer on the ham-fisted!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:28 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:is it a faux-pas to say that Stephen King is not THAT great of a writer?

He'd be the first to tell you he isn't! :D

And this is the movie thread. You probably want the book thread.
And if you get bored, you can always hang out in the comic book thread.
Just wait until the TV series starts and then the Dark Tower will reign supreme in the Coaxial forum too! :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Oh I forgot why I was posting in here... my point after that was that if they were to turn this into a movie + series, the source material could actually benefit from a lot of rewriting.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat May 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I had to take a break from reading the third book in the series... holy crap, is it a faux-pas to say that Stephen King is not THAT great of a writer?

His plotting and ideas are good enough, but his pacing goes off... I think he's trying to mix too many things together in the story, or rather he may be mixing those elements poorly. Also his dialogue is completely grating at this point, and his characterizations veer on the ham-fisted!

Don't give up on the series. I did the exact same thing as you. I gave up on book 3, but I picked it up later, forced myself to get through it, and it picked up at the end. Book four is markedly better. Book five is even better than that. In fact, if you like Kurosawa or westerns, you'll lap up book 5. I'm on book 6 now, so I really can't comment on it fully.

But I agree with those that are saying Howard is wrong for this. I just can't see it.

But the biggest hurdle for the filmmakers will be the character of Jake. How are they going to come up with a film schedule covering all seven book where one character is a young boy for the entire time. It would have to be carefully planned and filmed a la the LOTR films, where the majority of Jake's scenes could be filmed at once. But I wouldn't even want to contemplate the logistics of making that work. Just one reason why this is nearly unfilmable.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat May 01, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm not putting down permanently because all y'all seem so devoted to the series. I have confidence that your opinions are well-founded, so I will continue through the more painful parts in hope that things will improve.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Sun May 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Quote from Stephen King (via his message board) regarding the news:

"It looks good. Things are happening and they are happening fast but any reports you see might be taken with a grain of salt for the next couple of weeks. You will know the news from the official source as soon as we are able to post it."
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 am

Pacino86845 wrote:I had to take a break from reading the third book in the series... holy crap, is it a faux-pas to say that Stephen King is not THAT great of a writer?

i think the moment king got "final edit" on his books he became a much worse writer. king has great ideas, and sometimes he can turn those ideas into great books, but he has issues with dialogue and long-windedness and giving his stories satisfying endings, and some of the quirky things he does in most every book can get annoying.

i will say that book 3 has a really slow start, but the 2nd half is very very good.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Mon May 03, 2010 10:27 am

King strikes me as a writer who is exactly as good as his material. He is unable to take a weak idea and make a good story from it, a talent that really good writers have in spades. In other words, if King has a good idea (Shawshank Redemption, for example), he'll write a good story. If he has a mediocre idea (I wasn't that fond of Misery), his story will be mediocre. And he doesn't have any interest in editing himself - he's such a compulsive writer that he'll write ANYTHING, even if he's perfectly well aware that the idea isn't really that good. He is to writing what Michael Caine is to acting: a man who can't say no to a job, no matter how bad it is, but who can soar when the ideas are good.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby shawn10 on Sun May 09, 2010 11:07 pm

This series was awesome, had a nice 30 day bit to do and got through the whole saga. Roland is so iconic- a reaper to everyone who loves him. I too think Opey is wrong for this. This series demands a lord of the rings treatment. And Akiva? WTF? Btw, looks wise- does anyone else think matthew fox has the worn appearance for Roland?
shawn10
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Mon May 10, 2010 1:10 am

Welcome to The Zone, Shawn10!

I can safely say that I've never thought of Matthew Fox in the shoes of Roland. Out of the show Lost, Locke might make a good Cort, Ben might be a good Walter/Flagg/etc. I could see Sawyer as Roland if he could drop the southern-ish accent, but he seems too young. I think Fox is a bit too soft to play Roland. But that's just me.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:01 pm

The Worst Possible Dark Tower News

Three films.... and a NETWORK television series to tie everything together. Motherfuckingfuckers. This material will be so hacked up and watered down... and that's BEFORE seeing that Akiva Goldsman is writing it. The film/TV season/Film/TV season/etc. format doesn't bother me... it's just the thought of the TV show being on network television. I only think of NBC/CBS/ABC, and FOX as being networks, and I hope I'm proven wrong and that the series will land on a cable channel. NBC Universal produced Battlestar Galactica, so there is a touch of precedent...... maybe?

As much as I've told Harrry Potter fans that the books will never change, no matter what happens in the movies.... I'll likely need constant doses of that same medicinal advice in regards to this project. It's too easy to fuck this up. But if they manage to do it well..... it could really be something amazing.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: The Dark Tower (Now w/ Trilogy... *and* TV Show?)

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 am

Ugh, I was excited until I saw who was making it. I have zero confidence if Ron Howard is directing. On one hand I would rather it wasn't made with Imagine behind it but on the other hand I hope it succeeds so the studios will take a chance on other projects with such scale and ambition. Casting should prove to be interesting because they have to find people willing to clear their schedules for at least four years for one project. Eh, we'll see.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:18 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Casting should prove to be interesting because they have to find people willing to clear their schedules for at least four years for one project. Eh, we'll see.

Never mind The Jake Factor in all of this (how do you get the kid to not age?), those will be some pretty interesting contracts that the leads sign. Will they be able to sign genuine stars (if that's what they want) or will the television aspect scare some away? I wonder if they'll look at the Harry Potter franchise and be wary of signing someone too old or sick with the threat of having to replace someone like the HP films did when Richard Harris died. Just some random thoughts before I go to bed.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 am

as much as i enjoyed the books, i have had about zero interest in this project ever since ron howard's involvement was announced. i have loved some howard stuff in the past (splash, apollo 13) and hated some (he made a horrible mess out of davinci code, which should have been an easy lay-up as movie adaptations go), but in either case, he has the completely wrong mentality for a film like this. so hearing that the tv series portion will air on a network... well, it's no great surprise. it also means they'll have to tone down the films probably, because it would be jarring to go from hardcore R-rated films to family-friendly TV shows and back. so look for the films to be PG-13 at best.

i suppose it could still be worse though. mick garris could be doing it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 am

TheBaxter wrote:i suppose it could still be worse though. mick garris could be doing it.

You say true, I say thankya!
Garris is too busy fucking up Bag of Bones these days.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DanielSan on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:36 am

First, I LOVE the Dark Tower series, and I understand everyone's concerns about Opie Cunningham, but he has done some solid directing - Cinderella Man, Apollo 13, Beautiful Mind - Hell, I even liked Parenthood and Night Shift. And it's clear from his interviews that he cares for the subject material, which is key.

But, regardless of what anyone thinks about him, it looks like it's gonna happen. So, with that said, any casting ideas? Here are mine:

Roland: Daniel Craig or Viggo Mortensen
Susannah: Gina Torres;
Eddie: Aaron Paul; or James Franco
Oy: Verne Troyer
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby Bloo on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:11 am

ok, I've been thinking about this all day and whatnot

I'm conflicted because I think that Howard and Goldsmith are TONELLY wrong for the Dark Tower, but then I would have said the same thing about Rob Reiner. 2 of his best movies are based on King's work and are two of the best King adaptions. I personally would have never tapped the director of THIS IS SPINAL TAP and THE PRINCESS BRIDE (as great as those movies are) to go as dark as he did on STAND BY ME and MISERY.

So I'm...hesitant but trusting ka
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 am

I hear you, Bloo. Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist) is another name I would have liked to see being in on the project, even as just a producer or writer.

DanielSan wrote:Oy: Verne Troyer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd also endorse Sean Astin.... stupid phat hobbit....

Someone in the talkbacks mentioned Kurt Russell (Ron Howard's Backdraft) for Roland. I don't think I'd ever thought/heard of that suggestion before. Not my first choice, but it might work. If Val Kilmer could drop all of his fat, I think he would be a good Roland. In fact, I think he could be excellent. But again, he would need to lose a ton of weight.
I really like Aaron Paul for Eddie. I just watched the first season of Breaking Bad and have a new-found respect for the guy.
For me these days Zoe Saldana immediately comes to mind for Susannah.
Emmanuel Lewis for Jake.
Tim Conway or Harvey Korman for Dandelo.
Frank Whaley or Kevin Spacey - Calvin Tower
Donald Sutherland - Callahan
Sam Elliot - Jonas
Michael Ironside - Cort
Flagg/Martin/etc. - Martin Short
You-know-who - himself
Ted Brautigan - Anthony Hopkins would be cool again...
Jack Andolini - Chuck Zito

EDIT: I just realized that I've done enough fantasy casting on this project that I'm venturing into LaDracul territory. My sincerest apologies.
Last edited by Fievel on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bloo on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 am

Darabont would have been the ideal choice, do he and Howard have a working realtionship of any kind? I can't imagine Ron's going to want to tackle all 3 movies or the television duties, therefore maybe frank can step up and do a movie and/or part of the tv series (ala THE WALKING DEAD).

Another thought that comes to mind to direct the TV eps is Jack Bender who did a lot of the episodes of LOST
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:11 pm

I have to admit I'm really curious to see how the logistics work out for this. Depending on how many episodes they do for each season I imagine at certain points in the schedule they will have to be shooting the movie and the series at the same time. I'm guessing the whole thing will be shot digital to save time and money, especially for effects work. They should be able to use assets created for the features in the series which should help the look of the show. Since NBC/Universal is picking up the tab expect to see the series leveraged across a few of their channels; SyFy, NBC, USA, TNT.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby klinteastwood on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 pm

im really really nervous about this...that being said..id like to suggest Jon Hamm from Mad Men as Roland..maybe Joeseph Gordon Levitt as Eddie..and for some reason ive always thought Danny Trejo would be cool as Eldred Jonas might be a little short though..oh yea and of course Rainn Wilson as Stephen King lol
klinteastwood
GLIB

Postby travis-dane on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:12 pm

I think Kevin Costner would be a grerat choice for Roland. He still is very well known, he could do the TV too and he knows a thing or two about Wild West movies and playing Gunslingers.
See the last 40 minutes of Open Range for example.

I could see Thomas Hayden Church as well for Roland...
Javier Bardem for Flagg.
Tommy Lee Jones for Jonas.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Bloo on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:27 am

KING'S THOUGHTS ON THE DARK TOWER MOVIE/TV SERIES

Their comments sections have some interesting suggestions for Roland, including Mickey Rourke and Keith Carradine
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DanielSan on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 am

Bloo wrote:Their comments sections have some interesting suggestions for Roland, including Mickey Rourke and Keith Carradine

Ew. Not sure I like either of those suggestions. Joseph Gordon Levitt for Eddie is a good idea...
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:50 am

Bloo wrote:KING'S THOUGHTS ON THE DARK TOWER MOVIE/TV SERIES

Their comments sections have some interesting suggestions for Roland, including Mickey Rourke and Keith Carradine

the last person we should be looking to for advice on movie/tv adaptations of King's works is Stephen King. just go rewatch that horrible Shining remake if you want to know why.

i really think the best choice for Roland is a relative unknown. someone who doesn't bring any baggage or audience preconceptions to the role. with the scale of this project, though, that's probably not possible.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 am

Keith Carradine for Roland would be good. But Angela Basset is WAY too old for Susannah. Isn't she supposed to be in her mid to late 20's?

And King's voice for Blaine would be nauseating. I've listened to him read a few books..... just no.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bloo on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:59 pm

I think you need a "name" for Roland. I'm not talking about a big star wanting to dabble in TV or something. I'm talking a good solid character actor with the chance to shine in a leading man role. You need someone with years behind them, and it shows. I'm actually liking the idea of a Keith Carradine more and more.

For young Roland that's where you get an unknown.

Eddie--I don't know. For years I championed the idea of John Leguizmo for that part but now I think he's just a little too old. JGL is an interesting choice, and I could see him pullling that off.

Susannah-- don't shoot me, but I think this wouldn't be a bad part for Rosario Dawson. I was just watching parts of Sin City last night for the Oleg Movie Club and she's got a real good manic energy.

Jake-- I have no clue espically due to the age issue but I'm going to go on and suggest Kodi Smit-McPhee

Oy (voice)-- Frank Welker, no if, ands, or, buts about it

For the rest of the supporting cast, I don't know. Rainn Wilson as King isn't a bad thought, King I'd put in the role of Brown, the old farmer. Obviously you need to find a place for Dolph (one of the big Coffin Hunters...Steven Deschain, ok maybe that ones a stretch). I like Donald Sutherland as Father Callahan, for The Man in Black/Flagg--NOT Jayme Sheridan...NOT Christopher Walken. I remember reading an interview or maybe it was the introduction to THE STAND but somewhere he mentioned Robert Duvall as who he pictured as Flagg. I like that

for any VO characters (Oy, the crow Zoratan or something, Blaine)--go with established voice actors, I'd suggest limiting it to Frank Welker for all those parts
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:13 pm

I think this is a terrible idea. Not just because of the people attached to it, but because I don't really think this would work as a movie or anything. It's a nice idea, it would be cool to see it done well. Unfortunately, the books aren't super cinematic. There's some cool shit in there that would be great to see, but over the seven books not a whole lot actually, you know, happens. Especially the last three. Christ, did things go off the rails there. It's like one of those dream projects that I would love to see... but at the same time I really don't want to see it.

As for casting for Roland, I've heard suggestions such as Jeff Fahey. Which I think could work. Unfortunately, the films will not.

Bloo foolishly wrote:Susannah-- don't shoot me, but I think this wouldn't be a bad part for Rosario Dawson.

I won't shoot you, Bloo. But I will disagree strongly. I've heard the goddamn nerds topside mention Taraji P. Henson, who I think would be pretty good but she's what -- fifteen years too old?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Jeff Fahey as Roland? I actually like that idea, wow that would be some dream casting there

Angela Bassett adn tajir Hensen would have been great, like you said, about 10-15 years ago, but now, not so much

caurso I know you love the Zoe, and I like her too, but I don't like her for Susannah. not sure who else would work though. It'll probably come down to Zoe, Rosario, and Gabrielle Union but all will want too much money and they'll cast it with a soap opera actress
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:16 am

I don't think Zoe would be right for Susannah. But she's hot stuff right now, so I could see her as a possibility if they want to go for someone recognizable. But I'll bet they go for somebody cheap and relatively unknown.

I'm not super familiar with Union. I just know that she was awful in BAD BOYS 2.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Phildo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:23 am

I think the series started to turn to shit with Wizard And Glass. I just couldn't get into it. I'm not having high hopes for this as a working television show.
Phildo
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby justcheckin on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 am

Phildo wrote:I think the series started to turn to shit with Wizard And Glass. I just couldn't get into it. I'm not having high hopes for this as a working television show.

Wizard and Glass wasn't my favorite either. I was always more into the quest and less of the background. I know people who love that particular one though so I guess it all depends on who you are.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 am

I loved Wizard and Glass, but there were large chunks of that book that took place in parts of Kansas that I'm very familiar with so I'm a little biased.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:32 pm

James Ransome for Eddie
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fievel on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Bloo wrote:I loved Wizard and Glass, but there were large chunks of that book that took place in parts of Kansas that I'm very familiar with so I'm a little biased.

W&G might have been my favorite book*. I thought the whole backstory was really good. Plenty of studly there to cut out, for sure, but a great story. In regards to the Kansas part, I hope they don't shy away from the references to The Stand. If they skip that part, what are they going to do when every book King wrote is referenced in the end?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Seems like an interesting idea to have a trilogy of movies that aren't totally sequential (in narrative terms), with the rest of the story in between being done as TV show.

I don't think I've heard it being done before. As I've only read the first two pages of The Gunslinger, I've no opinion on what effect it'll have, but it's certainly seems intriguing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby klinteastwood on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Wizard and Glass is one of the better ones in my humble opinion
klinteastwood
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Jeff Bridges for Roland
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:16 am

I really like the idea of Jeff Fahey for Roland. Really.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Nelgred on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Nelgred
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Welcome to The Zone, Nelgred!

Very cool poster!!!
Not a fan of most of the casting there*, but that looks like a lot of work put into it to deny it a nod of respect.

*I like Smit-McPhee and Oldman, though I don't see Oldman doing another franchise again (would love to be wrong, though!).

Wesley has shown a lot of Detta in her character on True Blood, but (and I hate to admit this) I've grown so annoyed with Tara as a character that it would take a lot for me to remove the actress from the character.
Mikkelsen is completely out of the blue here. I'm pretty sure no one has mentioned him as a possible Roland, so there's a point for originality there. But I just can't see it.
And ever since someone here recommended Aaron Paul for Eddie, I've been stuck on him. But I think JGL was mentioned here a few times so you're not alone there.

Please do stay and have fun in the discussion and speculation here. It's only going to grow as it nears filming.... and then it will really get fun.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby justcheckin on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:08 am

Yeah, sweet poster...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Nelgred on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Thank you Fievel for the warm welcome!
I did this in between jobs just for fun. It was really meant for my wife who is a HUGE Stephen King fan and The Dark Tower series is her favorite. I had spent the better part of the summer listening to the audio books and decided to make a movie poster after hearing news that the books would be made into movies/tv series. My wife feels the same way as you about casting Mikkelsen as Roland. But he's such a great underrated actor who needs that one big role to set him alight. He just felt like he would fit the role to me in so many ways. I'm a pretty big movie fan, and I've seen a lot of ideas for casting Roland, with big bankable names. But I'm tired of seeing huge STARS in movies, I'd rather see a great story be told and getting lost in the characters and settings, without thinking, yeah, that's Christian Bale or Viggo Mortensen, etc, etc. They are both great actors too, but their star shines already. Mikkelsen has a certain uneasiness to him, something a little more dark, but also endearing. I imagine the casting of a known name will happen anyway, Hollywood has too much invested in these projects to take the risks they once did. But doesn't it really come down to the storytelling, not star power? I know that's probably meant for a different thread so I will stop there. Anyway, I did cast Gary Oldman because he's such a great character actor and if there should be a "known name" he came to the forefront as someone who could pull it off really well and be a plausible nemesis. I get what you're saying about Wesley, but again I wanted to cast someone who wasn't a big star already. JGL I'd seen mentioned somewhere before and thought it would be a great choice. But after seeing your mention of Aaron Paul, that's pretty good too! After seeing The Road, I though Smit-Mcphee would be an awesome choice for Jake. I had thought Max Records might work, but felt Smit-Mcphee had a warmth to him that was missing from Records.
Well that's enough from me for now. I appreciate your comments and plan to stick around, this thread is a lot of fun and it will be really cool to see more information about these movies come to light as well as more speculation!
Thanks again! :)

@justcheckin- Thank you very much! :)
Nelgred
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:06 pm

You know reading your post got me thinking about MIkkelsen. He IS good and rather underrated right now. And he's kind of pigeon holed as a bad guy right now.... and as much as it sucks adding to the pigeon-holing... he could make an excellent Marten/Walter/Flagg,

Nelgred wrote: I had spent the better part of the summer listening to the audio books....

I like your style! That's how I've "read" the series and almost all of the related books.

I've got a feeling that Roland will be a known name, but I don't think it will be an A-lister. Perhaps a former A-lister whose work has slowed with age, but not someone that is a hot commodity right now. With the scope ($$) of this story it wouldn't surprise me if Roland and Walter/Marten/Flagg are the only known names. Maybe Callahan, too. But as it's always been said, the trickiest casting will be Jake.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby klinteastwood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:13 pm

wow..cool poster..dont know about Mikkelsen for Roland though..i just realized that people are seriously gonna be thrown off by this weird tale..
klinteastwood
GLIB

Postby Fievel on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:17 pm

klinteastwood wrote:wow..cool poster..dont know about Mikkelsen for Roland though..i just realized that people are seriously gonna be thrown off by this weird tale..

Especially the latter half of it where every other paragraph introduces a new WTF?!? moment. Once the group gets to Kansas, people's minds are going to blow. Perhaps they'll precede it with a stern warning. For potential legal reasons they probably should.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:32 am

Fievel wrote:
klinteastwood wrote:wow..cool poster..dont know about Mikkelsen for Roland though..i just realized that people are seriously gonna be thrown off by this weird tale..

Especially the latter half of it where every other paragraph introduces a new WTF?!? moment. Once the group gets to Kansas, people's minds are going to blow. Perhaps they'll precede it with a stern warning. For potential legal reasons they probably should.

don't worry, ron howard will take all the bizarre and interesting stuff and make it completely ordinary and boring.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:

don't worry, ron howard will take all the bizarre and interesting stuff and make it completely ordinary and boring.

Shit. He DID work with Michael Cera on Arrested Development, didn't he? :(
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion