The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with 100% less Dark Tower!!!???)

Postby John-Locke on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Excellent news, this was wrong from the start.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm not against Howard & Company trying to tackle this. I'm not against the formatting (movie, TV, movie, etc.). I was just against this project potentially being neutered by network executives who might try to play it at 9:00 after some family comedies. It is my hope that HBO steps in - whether it's with Howard & Co. or someone else. I'd still love to see this series brought to life.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 am

I'm happy to see this thing die on the vine. Personally, I don't think this should ever be adapted. The first four books are solid (despite the Oz nonsense in Wizard and Glass) but the last three are just crap. Why bother.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:45 am

very good news indeed. now there's a chance of a decent dark tower adaptation happening, hopefully with better writers attached, a director who is better suited to the material, and a network like HBO that can go balls to the wall with this thing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 am

C'mon HBO! Showtime, AMC, Whoever! Lets get this thing on TV!

I'm envisioning the day my wife and I decide in which order we'll watch the new episodes of Game of Thrones, American Gods and Dark Tower on the DVR . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am

So this means there's fresh potential for Kevin Costner to play Roland.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 am

So is there any chance that the "too expensive" reason is just an excuse, and the reality is that Ron Howard's involvement soured too many people?

I know studio execs don't pay too much attention to fans and their opinions, but it seems like Richie Cunningham's plans for the series was not recieved well from fans, and has he really show the aptitude to create such and expansive science fiction world?

Maybe, just maybe...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Regardless of what people think of them, Ron Howard makes movies that, in general, make money. Dark Tower has an in-built following (and all those people would go to see it), then add to that the public going to see a big budget, star studded Ron Howard movie. I doubt that'd be something they'd walk away from lightly.

Apparently Universal are cutting a load of other films at the moment. It probably just means it'll get picked up in turnaround by another studio.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tfactor on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 am

Well this freaking blows! However I see that many of you are actually in fact very happy that this production never got rolling, which honestly surprises me.

Look people there is an inevitable fact you all must face - Hollywood is lacking original ideas (which is why we are currently buried in Smurfs, Conan the Barbarian, Transformers and every other stupid fucking remake that has everyone so captivated, while I feel like my childhood is being rummaged through (like a dumpster) for anything that could potentially be rebooted to fit the modern day Tweener's world.

However with that said, cancelling this particular movie & TV series is a mistake! Plus meanwhile things like Sci Fi's "Mody Dick" get put right into production and get lots of money thrown at them of course, but honestly who gives a shit about vengence on a whale. I swear if they took 1/2 of the totally stupid crap they are wastng money on - quality projects like this would not get so easily kicked to the curb.

Thats just my opinion, which from what I've read above I may be alone in thinking but come on, I can't have been the only person looking forward to this, was I really!?!? And for most of you (except the guy who suggested Kevin Costner for Roland)- I consider you to be my like-minded kin. WTH happened?

I say if RW doesn't want this to happen, screw that Ginger bastard - someone call JJ or hell even give Nolan the material. He is definitely going to have a pretty clear schedule once he breaks Batman's back. :o
later
-T
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:52 am

i don't think anyone is happy that the Dark Tower was cancelled. we're happy that Ron Howard's Dark Tower was cancelled.
we'd be a lot more excited about a Nolan or even a JJ Abrams version of Dark Tower. now that Ron Howard's Dark Tower isn't happening, there's a chance that someone else can do it, someone with a better chance of actually making it good. i'd rather wait to see the material handled by the right person in the right format, then see it done crappily by a writer and director who are completely unsuited to adapting it properly.

think of it this way. no matter how big of a fan of Lord of the Rings you might be, wouldn't you be thrilled to hear that Ron Howard's Lord of the Rings got rejected, especially if that then opened the door for the possibility of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings a decade or so later?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:11 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i don't think anyone is happy that the Dark Tower was cancelled. we're happy that Ron Howard's Dark Tower was cancelled.

Beat me to it.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

tfactor wrote:I can't have been the only person looking forward to this, was I really!?!? And for most of you (except the guy who suggested Kevin Costner for Roland)- I consider you to be my like-minded kin. WTH happened?
-T

I actually went back through to see if I am the one who suggested that... hehehehe but I don't think it was me. LOL Sounds like something I would say. :mrgreen:
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Oh I'm definitely happy that it was canceled. Period.
caruso_stalker217

Postby tfactor on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:56 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i don't think anyone is happy that the Dark Tower was cancelled. we're happy that Ron Howard's Dark Tower was cancelled.
we'd be a lot more excited about a Nolan or even a JJ Abrams version of Dark Tower. now that Ron Howard's Dark Tower isn't happening, there's a chance that someone else can do it, someone with a better chance of actually making it good. i'd rather wait to see the material handled by the right person in the right format, then see it done crappily by a writer and director who are completely unsuited to adapting it properly.

think of it this way. no matter how big of a fan of Lord of the Rings you might be, wouldn't you be thrilled to hear that Ron Howard's Lord of the Rings got rejected, especially if that then opened the door for the possibility of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings a decade or so later?

It goes to show what a harsh double edge sword (with No handle) it can be to know about stuff that happens in the pre-Production process. Because it can so often mean disappointment which could be spared, ignorance is bliss. With that though - I do think you are right. I just got the impression from a couple posts that people were not as disappointed as I was (or so it seemed) but that was just in general about the movie Not going into production. However if its some unknown secret that this means someone else will likely pick up the property and just replace old Ronnie-boy: then that would be great. And I do appreciate the PJ's LOTR analogy. You are the ever present optimist to my cynical side. Or as it were, I am the Gollum to your Smeagal.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I agree word for word with TheBaxter here. And now I'm going to kill myself.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:34 pm

What did anyone actually know about it?
(other than Ron Howard was making it and Xavier Bardem was in it.)

Was there a script review or some pre-production art released or something?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I agree word for word with TheBaxter here. And now I'm going to kill myself.

then my work here is done.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:25 pm

For me the worse thing about this proposed adaptation wasn't Javier Bardem (although I couldn't see him as Roland), it wasn't even Ron Howard (there are far worse directors out there) it was a combination of Akiva Goldsman (HACK) writing the script and the fact that the TV series was going to be produced for NBC who haven't made anything worth watching outside of their Thursday night comedies since well forever.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tfactor on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:And now I'm going to kill myself.

Liar! :twisted:
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Bloo on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:37 pm

John-Locke wrote:For me the worse thing about this proposed adaptation wasn't Javier Bardem (although I couldn't see him as Roland), it wasn't even Ron Howard (there are far worse directors out there) it was a combination of Akiva Goldsman (HACK) writing the script and the fact that the TV series was going to be produced for NBC who haven't made anything worth watching outside of their Thursday night comedies since well forever.

can you imagine a Dark Tower inspired ep of Community
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:15 pm

John-Locke wrote:For me the worse thing about this proposed adaptation wasn't Javier Bardem (although I couldn't see him as Roland), it wasn't even Ron Howard (there are far worse directors out there) it was a combination of Akiva Goldsman (HACK) writing the script and the fact that the TV series was going to be produced for NBC who haven't made anything worth watching outside of their Thursday night comedies since well forever.

Agreed.

Supposedly the TV series part was going to be written and showrun by some guy who did wrote quite lot of the second season of Battlestar Galactica.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Whatever happens.....

KEEP MICK GARRIS AWAY FROM THIS PROJECT!!!!!!

I would have been cool for someone to pick up several of King's related works and had them tie-in together ala Marvel and The Avengers.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Fuck.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:25 am

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with ???% more HBO!!!???)

Postby John-Locke on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Empire Online wrote:Dark Tower Heading For HBO?

Brian Grazer talks small-screen plan

Though the situation looked bleak for Ron Howard, Akiva Goldsman and Brian Grazer’s ambitious plan to bring Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series to life as a set of films and TV shows when Universal shut down development, the three main players have not lost faith in their attempt to get the project on its feet. And now, talking to MTV, Grazer has explained that the priority will be the TV section, with US cable channel HBO stepping in to pick up the slack.

"We're going to do The Dark Tower with HBO," Grazer says. "We'll do the TV with HBO, and we'll do the movie with… to be determined. We'll do it right."

Just a couple of days ago, Grazer had dropped mention to The Playlist that they’d managed to slice a chunk of the budget off, which means we’ll get to see the film – or films – eventually. And he confirms the new, thriftier cost to MTV: "We're going to do that movie. We've lost $45 million out of the budget. When people say no to you enough, then you have to lose money, which we've done without harming the scope of the film."

We’d note he only mentions one film at this time; chances are the other two proposed movies will have to wait until the box office figures come in.

But this is an interesting development: HBO can certainly pull off something like this with the right talent aboard (see: Game Of Thrones) and while it has other big commitments floating around, such as Tom Hanks’ take on Neil Gaiman’s American Gods, it would seem to be the most logical home for Dark Tower. Particularly since Grazer believes the move could mean that Javier Bardem stays attached as Roland Deschain…

Hmmmmmmmmm
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Vicar on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Hmmmmm indeed.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Bloo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:19 pm

If HBO manages to pull of American Gods AND The Dark Tower, I might actually have to look at subscribing
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Now if they could just cut out Opie and Goldsman.
caruso_stalker217

Postby justcheckin on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Bloo wrote:If HBO manages to pull of American Gods AND The Dark Tower, I might actually have to look at subscribing

me too metoooooooooo!
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:08 pm

<--- This guy's got a boner.

As long as the "satisfying ending" means that Roland has the Horn of Eld, I'll be happy. I've always thought that any movie version should be a "sequel" of sorts to the books in that in the movie version he has the horn.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:14 am

Fievel wrote:<--- This guy's got a boner.

As long as the "satisfying ending" means that Roland has the Horn of Eld, I'll be happy. I've always thought that any movie version should be a "sequel" of sorts to the books in that in the movie version he has the horn.

i agree with your second spoiler-quoted point.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:46 am

Warner Brothers, good. HBO, good. Howard/Goldsman, still a fucking shit idea.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Tue May 08, 2012 10:50 am

From Ron Howard's Twitter page:
@RealRonHoward wrote:Spent day today in a story session on...Dark Tower :-) Terrific meeting w/ Akiva Goldsman & Erica Huggins No timetables but very positive
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Fievel wrote:From Ron Howard's Twitter page:
@RealRonHoward wrote:Spent day today in a story session on...Dark Tower :-) Terrific meeting w/ Akiva Goldsman & Erica Huggins No timetables but very positive

FUUUUUCK YOU, OPIE!!! :x :evil:
caruso_stalker217

Postby justcheckin on Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Warner Brothers, good. HBO, good. Howard/Goldsman, still a fucking shit idea.

Maybe, but we''ll all still watch it. :)
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 pm

justcheckin wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Warner Brothers, good. HBO, good. Howard/Goldsman, still a fucking shit idea.

Maybe, but we''ll all still watch it. :)

I know. :(
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:09 pm

The Dark Tower has fallen. Again.

caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 am

today just keeps getting better and better! :mrgreen:
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm

When I went back and read the series over again earlier this year I thought that it could make a good animated series.

I think they'd even be able to keep some of the wackier shit and make it work.

Plus it would solve the problem of casting Roland. Just make him look the way he should and give him Liam Neeson's voice.

Pay me, Hollywood.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Nesson's voice? Josh Brolin brah
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Bloo wrote:Nesson's voice? Josh Brolin brah

Brolin hasn't got the mileage yet. Liam's voice is perfect. He can be gravelly, soft, commanding and plain fucking angry.

If this isn't the voice of Roland then I don't know what is:

caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

I guess I'm just sick of Liam Nesson
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Bloo wrote:I guess I'm just sick of Liam Nesson

Impossible.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 am

in theory i like the idea of an animated dark tower series. it would be the best way to deal with some of the funkier aspects of the story, as well as solve problems like dealing with jake's age. also, it would be easier to do an animated [spoiler]stephen king[/url] then to have him play himself or hire an actor to play him in a live action version. either of those would feel too bizarre.

in reality though, hollywood has no idea how to make and market adult-oriented animated stories, which means we'd either get an incredibly watered down version that was safe for kids, or something that would tank because they wouldn't know hot to sell it to the general population. it's probably live action or nothing.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am

Stephen King novels are almost never adapted into movies worth anything, so i wonder why there is still such interest in seeing any more adaptations of his work. "Stand By Me" is easily the best adaptation yet imo, yet that is from a short story of King's from early in his career, before he started overwriting. I never really got the fervor over King novels, I read a few in the 80's and was thoroughly underwhelmed, I like his short story work much better. I wonder how much money has already been spent on this project with nothing to show for it, and why? certainly not because of any track record of success for movies based on King novels. why not stop wasting time and money trying to adapt King's books into the lame movies they usually are and try looking to other quality authors, there is a lot of good literary work out there as yet unmined

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 am

the reason people keep making movies based on his books is because they are financially successful. king is the most marketable name there is in horror literature, and nearly every movie made based on one of his books (even the awful ones) will make money. it helps that horror films in general are cheap and easy to make a profit on. the sad thing is, a long time ago when king hadn't achieved such a huge level of fame and popularity yet, hollywood would actually hire decent directors to make his films.... de palma, kubrick, tobe hooper, romero, cronenberg, carpenter. then they realized king's name alone was enough to guarantee an audience, and decided they could save the money by hiring hacks and still make money. also, king got more power and control and could exert more influence on the movies based on his books, which was not a good thing, as well as driving away the better directors and writers who could make his books work on the screen. i don't think king's name carries the same weight anymore that it once did, especially among younger people, so now most of the king projects just end up being crappy tv-movies inflicted on us by mick garris, the hackiest hack who ever hacked.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 am

I know they mostly do 12 min Flash animated stoner comedies, but I would love to see Adult Swim/Cartoon Network take a stab at the Dark Tower. They get away with a pretty decent amount of violence on Black Dynamite, Venture Brothers and Metalpocolypse, they still do have their Saturday night Anime night which tend to feature a little more "adult" or "dramatic" stories. Language and timeslot would be the only concern with them.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion