The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri May 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Casting is definitely a huge concern.
Getting Jake to not age much across 7 books' worth of material is another.
Not "softening" the material is a huge hope. I hope their product is as deliciously fucked up as the source material.
I'm curious to know the final format. They're saying film now, but will it end up at theaters? A series on cable?

I'm also curious to see how they handle Stephen King being in the story. Will they make a wink and a nod to the fact that this will be a movie version of the book? Will King play himself?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri May 08, 2009 8:07 pm

Fievel wrote:Casting is definitely a huge concern.
Getting Jake to not age much across 7 books' worth of material is another.
Not "softening" the material is a huge hope. I hope their product is as deliciously fucked up as the source material.
I'm curious to know the final format. They're saying film now, but will it end up at theaters? A series on cable?

I'm also curious to see how they handle Stephen King being in the story. Will they make a wink and a nod to the fact that this will be a movie version of the book? Will King play himself?

HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO
HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO
HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBOHBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO HBO

I'd prefer that it were on cable...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri May 08, 2009 11:04 pm

I agree with Moo.

Fievel wrote:I'm also curious to see how they handle [spoiler]Stephen King being in the story. Will they make a wink and a nod to the fact that this will be a movie version of the book? Will King play himself?

I wouldn't want to see King playing himself, especially trying to pull off himself all coked up and drunk in his early 20's. I would love to see him make some kind of cameo though.

I actually hope they put this into a nice meticulous development phase like weta's amp up to LOTR.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat May 09, 2009 12:08 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:I agree with Moo.

I actually hope they put this into a nice meticulous development phase like weta's amp up to LOTR.

I agree with Moo and You.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 09, 2009 3:41 am

Colonel Lugz seriously wants Shia Le Bouf to play Roland. Can you farking BELIEVE that? What are your thoughts on this?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 09, 2009 6:20 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Colonel Lugz seriously wants Shia Le Bouf to play Roland. Can you farking BELIEVE that? What are your thoughts on this?

Thats why he has left the ZONE!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 09, 2009 11:30 am

travis-dane wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Colonel Lugz seriously wants Shia Le Bouf to play Roland. Can you farking BELIEVE that? What are your thoughts on this?

Thats why he has left the ZONE!

That's why he farking well ain't coming BACK either!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Sat May 09, 2009 11:52 am

So Lugz was ALL of the alts in the Shia thread?

Shia might.... MIGHT work as Eddie.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Sat May 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Fievel wrote:So Lugz was ALL of the alts in the Shia thread?

Shia might.... MIGHT work as Eddie.

Hey, that could work.
But the Tower needs to be a TV show(the story is way to complex for 2 or 3 movies), so I think we can forget about that.
And Moo is right, it needs to be on HBO.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Personally, I think this should be on TV rather than cinema with more storytelling hours and scope given to it. Just buy a bigger TV I suppose. It would also be a landmark in a certain overrated reputation of cinema vs the underappreciated one of TV, and the useage of both.

I just hope they throw the worthwhile budget at the series, like The Talisman TV series should have.
JJ Abrams though? Sigh. I SUPPOSE he'll have tooo doooo.....
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Or maybe movie 'series'. So not 7 movies, but enough that it needs to get all the story fleshed out right. So maybe some novels are 2 part movies at least or something? We're through the looking glass, people! Movies can do more than we're letting them do too!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat May 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Shia would actually be a good fit for Eddie. A much younger Sam Rockwell would have been perfect.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sat May 09, 2009 9:18 pm

But with JJ Abrams behind it, who would Greg Grunberg play?
Sheriff of Mejis?
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Sun May 10, 2009 3:21 am

Fievel wrote:Not much news, but since there wasn't a movie thread yet....

J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof Will Work On ‘Dark Tower’ After ‘Lost’ Is Over

“Damon Lindelof and I talked to Mr. King,” Abrams told IGN while promoting the upcoming “Star Trek” film. “We got the rights for ['Dark Tower'] as a film. Damon is obviously still on ‘Lost’ and we’ve been working on ‘Star Trek’ together. As soon as ‘Lost’ is done, hopefully we’ll begin tackling that.”

Sad to see Lost end next year, but I'm pretty stoked to see what these guys do with the DT series.

There sure is now!

Hope you don't mind, Fievel; I just moved a bunch of Dark Tower movie talk from various King threads into here, including some fantasy casting before the movie was even news because it spawned some interesting conversation and I figured it'd be good to compare notes if and when the movie starts to develop.

I'm not sure what Abrams' planned approach is -- whether he's going to shoot for a seven-film adaptation or whether he's going to try and condense them -- but if they do go the serialized route I think knowing the entire story beforehand might make it easier for them to do some foreshadowing in advance.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Re:

Postby Fievel on Sun May 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Ribbons wrote:Hope you don't mind, Fievel

Not at all! At first I thought I had started an earlier movie thread, and briefly felt like an ass for a moment.
I forgot some of my suggestions for casting, and oddly I still don't disagree with all of them.
But add Shia as Eddie and I'm set.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun May 10, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm not sold on Shia for Eddie. But it could be worse, I suppose.

But who do you want to see for Roland? That's the big question.

What about Odetta? Taraji P. Henson will probably get some love at this point in her career now.

And a really courageous/creative director would film all the scenes involving Jake at the same time so it would appear on film that he didn't age. That's what I would do.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby travis-dane on Sun May 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Every book should be a 13 episode long season. Just not the first one, that could be a two part pilot movie to set things up.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 10, 2009 2:17 pm

If done as an HBO series I think it would require oddly numbered seasons i.e. whatever it takes to tell the story. Trying to stretch a book like Drawing of the Three into 13 episodes would probably indulge the fans but might drag things too much for the rest of the audience. Likewise condensing the series into 6 or 7 movies may truncate too many interesting elements though the trade off is you get a much more cinematic "size" to the storytelling. The other problem with an episodic show is dividing the books into interesting beginnings and endings per episode.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Sun May 10, 2009 3:02 pm

travis-dane wrote:Every book should be a 13 episode long season. Just not the first one, that could be a two part pilot movie to set things up.

I've heard fan talk about combining the first book into both the second and fourth books.
This could work, but I like Roland having some "alone time" in the first book's story. It helps the addition of later characters into the story become more meaningful as they all learn to love each other (awww!).

Nachokoolaid wrote:I'm not sold on Shia for Eddie. But it could be worse, I suppose.

But who do you want to see for Roland? That's the big question.

What about Odetta? Taraji P. Henson will probably get some love at this point in her career now.

And a really courageous/creative director would film all the scenes involving Jake at the same time so it would appear on film that he didn't age. That's what I would do.

Roland has a ton of possibilities. I just hope they find someone who completely fits the mold without question. By that I mean find someone who won't necessarily have to do a lot of convincing to the audience once he has the Gunslinger clothing and guns on.

I think that Odetta/Detta/Susannah/etc. has a lot of possibilities right now as well. There's a ton of talented young black actresses on the scene right now that could play her well. Again, someone who can convincingly play the part - meaning no Beyonce.

Eddie - let the swagger come naturally from the actor, not from the script.

Jake - Good luck, suckers. This is going to be the thorn in the casting director's side.

Callahan - Just had an odd thought.. John Mahoney. He played Frasier's dad on the show "Frasier".

I still love the idea of Michael Ironside as Cort. Make it so!!!

Gary Oldman would make a delicious Marten.

Spacey or Whaley as Calvin Tower is still perfect in my mind.

I'd say cast all unknowns as young Roland & friends in Books 1 & 4.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 11, 2009 7:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 12, 2009 12:02 am

Man, MTV with all these sorta-scoops. Are their interviewers really persistent or do movie studios just fear their clout with the 18-25 demographic? Anyways, I thought this part was interesting:

“Having seen Zack go through what he went through on ‘Watchmen’ in terms of saying of where can I digress from the material I just get headaches thinking about changing anything,” Lindelof told MTV News. “It was the defining literary tale of my young adulthood into adulthood.”

Lindelof is keenly aware of how that level of attachment can affect his approach to the project. “My reverence for Stephen King is now getting in the way of what any good writer would do first when they’re adapting a book, which is take creative license in changing stuff,” he explained.

I admire the fact that he's self-aware enough to realize that fans and filmmakers can run the risk of being TOO faithful; you don't hear people acknowledge that aspect of adapting something very often. Still not much news (and there might not be for a long time by the sounds of things), but a couple good quotes over the past several days nonetheless.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 12, 2009 12:11 am

I find all of this recent Dark Tower news interesting. It's funny how life is so coincidental sometimes. I wouldn't have given a shit about this a couple of weeks ago, but I just started reading the series, and now there's movie talk. It's like the planets are aligning or something.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what becomes of this.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Brit Pop on Tue May 12, 2009 6:45 am

Dark Tower... best books ever!

I read The Gunslinger around 1990 - a nasty, yellowing paperback from my local library - I had a major King thing at the time... in fact, my current book collection is almost entirely King books. Gunslinger was pretty out there for a young man of 14, but I loved it nonetheless. Fortunately at that time the second book was already out and The Waste Lands was just around the corner. By the time I was reading about Lud, the Tick Tock man and Blaine the Mono, all I could think was 'fucking hell! this stuff would make fantastic movies!'.

I'd never considered DT being serialised TV as opposed to movies, but since The Soprano's was so good then it could very realistically be small screen - I'd always prefer the saga to be big screen though, it deserves to be paraded from the highest tower.

As has been mentioned before - its such a huge story, that it would take years and years to produce - Jake being the main problem... Lost's Walt highlighted the problem of child actors growing up so much more noticably than old people. Even Harry Potter will be using Just For Men by the time Deathly Hallows comes out!

Casting... some or all of the main baddies can be played by 'famous actors', that would work for me... but the good guys - all new baby! (A few years ago I would have said Jada Pinkett for Susannah - Zoe Saldana these days though!!)

Randall Flagg - a Sam Rockwell type.
Jack Mort - a DJ Qualls type.
The Big Coffin Hunters - guys like Scott Glenn and Steven McHattie.
Balazar - Titus Welliver, not someone like him - HIM!!! (Or Gandolfini! Is that typecasting??!!??)
Andolini - Hank Azaria... or Titus Welliver if Gandolfini gets the other role!!

Tick Tock man - now, this one needs to be cast perfectly or the whole thing would fail! This guy is supposed to be huge! Also incredibly intelligent and completely insane. - Remeber Seth Brundles matter transporter from 'The Fly'? - If you could put Dwayne Johnson, John C McGinley and Viggo Mortensen in one chamber... what would come out the other end might work... depending on how long it lives for.

Blaine The Mono - voice actor only... does one use a recognisable voice? Its probably best to do so... but who? Patrick Stewart? Seth MacFarlaine? Liam Neeson? Trey Parker? Dan Castellaneta? Mike Judge? Blaine is stupid clever... overly playful and crazy bonkers all in one.

By heck! I've got myself all excited talking about The Dark Tower! I think I'll start reading them again for the umpteenth time!
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Hugo Weaving for Blane's voice.
Liev Schreiber for Randall Flagg.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 12, 2009 2:45 pm

travis-dane wrote:Hugo Weaving for Blane's voice.
Liev Schreiber for Randall Flagg.

I like both of these. I see Flagg as more physically imposing than a Sam Rockwell type, but maybe that's just me.

Roland is really, really tough. Not only do you have the character to live up to, but the character's inspiration, Clint Eastwood.

I'll throw out a name that MAYBE could work, it popped into my head the other day when I was talking to someone about Jonah Hex: Josh Brolin?

flame away, Neros.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Word. Nacho mentioned Brolin earlier, but it was at the bottom of the first page, so easily missed.

Nachokoolaid wrote:I would have said Josh Brolin for Roland, but now that he's Jonah Hex, I doubt that's a possibility.

Hopefully after Bale takes on John Connor in addition to Batman in a couple of weeks, audiences and studios will be primed for a single star tackling multiple icons on the big screen. Brolin's the best choice for Roland I've heard so far. Good work, gents.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Word. Nacho mentioned Brolin earlier, but it was at the bottom of the first page, so easily missed.

Nachokoolaid wrote:I would have said Josh Brolin for Roland, but now that he's Jonah Hex, I doubt that's a possibility.

Hopefully after Bale takes on John Connor in addition to Batman in a couple of weeks, audiences and studios will be primed for a single star tackling multiple icons on the big screen. Brolin's the best choice for Roland I've heard so far. Good work, gents.

I probably subconsciously stole that idea from Nacho....but if it happens I'll delete all of the other posts and, of course, claim credit.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue May 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Sounds about right. Like the time I saved the Zone from the invasion from the talkbackers in 2006.

What?

Exactly.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fawst on Thu May 21, 2009 9:48 am

Just thinking of the magic tricks that Abrams and co. could play with this...

So, what if they filmed completely out of sequence, and the later books are shot first with a young Jake, then the early books are shot with him being older? That could put an interesting spin on the "twist" with his character. It would kind of blow my mind to be watching a film series where one of the main characters reverses age over the course of the series.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu May 21, 2009 8:03 pm

Lugz said that Oy could be played by an Otter but you'd need to train him. 'No problem' I said as this following clip proves that you can train an Otter to do anything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is1fijPqaB0

MIJ for OY!!!!!! (No spoilers for Oy, please. :) )
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thefraze on Thu May 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Roland Deschain – The Gunslinger

I think Guy Pearce would be perfect for Roland. He's got the look and he's a terrific actor - He plays a bit of a cowboy / gunslinger in the Australian film, The Proposition.

I think Viggo Mortensen is a great choice, and also Thomas Jane would be a good choice, even though he's already tied to The Mist and has been portrayed painting a picture of Roland and the Tower.

Walter – The Man in Black - Lance Henriksen

Marten Broadcloak - Gary Oldman

Stephen Deschain - Clint Eastwood or Kurt Russell

Eddie Dean

Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be a great Eddie Dean. He's a phenomenal actor who can balance the line between humor and sincere somberness. He's 27 but can play early 20s with no problem - would be a great part of the ensemble.

If Eddie were portrayed as an older character, Ryan Reynolds and Jason Lee would be solid choices.

Detta/Odetta/Susannah

There have been many great ideas by the forum members here as to who should play Mrs. Dean, but I personally really like Taraji P. Henson for the role. She's charming and talented - and I think she could certainly make all those sides of Mrs. Dean come to life with scary reality.

Jake Chambers

Cameron Bright is a great choice. As far as child actors go these days, I think he's one of the best.

Nathan Gamble (The Dark Knight) would also be a good choice. He's only 10-years-old, but by the time this franchise becomes a reality, he would probably be of prime age. He played James Gordon Jr. in The Dark Knight and I think he's got the look.

Flagg

Brad Dourif (The Lord of the Rings, Deadwood, Child's Play) is an amazing actor. It's always a pleasure to see him act, and he's so versatile - but so exceptional at being evil. He's perfect for Flagg.

If not Dourif, I could see Hugo Weaving (The Matrix, V for Vendetta, Lord of the Rings) for the part. He's got the look - his crazy sadistic smile and his eloquent way with words seems spot-on for Flagg.

Susan Delgado

Marisa Coughlan (Super Troopers, Boston Legal) is beautiful and after seeing Susan represented in the Dark Tower graphic novel, I think she fits the part. There's a natural beauty and inner-strength to her that screams of Susan Delgado.

Father Callahan

James Cromwell (W., Six Feet Under, Spider-Man 3) played this character in the 2004 'Salem's Lot TV mini-series, and after seeing that I really can't get him out of my head as Callahan. He's just a great actor, and very believable as a man who has lost his faith.

Eldred Jonas

Johnny Depp would be great as Sai Jonas, but I'm not sure he's old enough to really give the role the weight it would need. Depp's a great actor, but paired up against a young Roland, he doesn't seem aged enough. Maybe a genuine Cowboy like Sam Elliott or even Kris Kirstofferson would give the role more grit and dirt?
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Fawst wrote:Just thinking of the magic tricks that Abrams and co. could play with this...

So, what if they filmed completely out of sequence, and the later books are shot first with a young Jake, then the early books are shot with him being older? That could put an interesting spin on the "twist" with his character. It would kind of blow my mind to be watching a film series where one of the main characters reverses age over the course of the series.

I dunno, that'd probably be pretty hard to pull off logistically. Abrams would almost be making the films back-to-back-to-back-to-back-etc., since they'd have to cast characters and build sets for the sole purpose of the scenes that would go in the future movies.

I was watching Star Trek the other day and was struck by the overt references to both Slusho and Clifford the Big Red Ball (the mysterious Rambaldi device in Alias, the mysterious "red matter" in Star Trek); Abrams' sensibilities already seem somewhat "Dark Tower-esque" since there seems to be a lot of cross-pollination between his work. I'd even heard that Alias was originally supposed to star Keri Russell as a sort-of Felicity spinoff.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 am

I might get shot for this, but I always though John Lequizimo would have been great for Eddie back in the 90s, obviously too old to play him now but yeah

interesting suggestion for Dourif as Flagg, I could see it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fievel on Tue May 26, 2009 10:56 am

Just found the archive link to this....

The Roadmap To The Dark Tower

The website that it was on is long gone, but the map speaks true (say thankee!).
It shows all of the DT-related books and where they fit in to the overall DT story

If you haven't read the series all the way through (Kirks!) I would suggest only looking at the map to see what books are there. Do NOT read the detailed info if you haven't read the series yet!!!

I think more info/details could be added to the map but it works well for the most part.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:35 pm

i started reading the series this summer. i just finished W&G this weekend, i'll eventually post something in the DT thread, but for now, here is my fantasy casting for any adaptation. if there is an adaptation, i really really hope it's done as an animated series of movies or on HBO. even moreso than LOTR, i don't think a live action version could do it justice, at least not in any way that it could realistically be done (filming all 7 movies back-to-back and spending a bazillion dollars on them before even one film was released). so if it IS done as an animated series, some of my fantasy casting ideas could actually be used, though some for obvious reasons couldn't.

roland - a younger tommy lee jones. even better? a young jack palance. more realistically, modern-day TLJ could play roland's da... i also like dexter's dad for that role.
eddie - i like the casey affleck suggestion. i can't beat that.
susannah - tara from true blood. you KNOW she'd nail detta. she could also do a good odetta and susannah.
jake - jake lloyd. except 11 years old and with the ability to act (i told you it was a fantasy)
oy - scrat from ice age. or just CGI.
walter/flagg - ok, i'm still not sure yet if walter and flagg are the same person... but if they aren't, then i'll take pre-beard, pre-rap-career joaquin phoenix for flagg, and crispin glover for walter. if they're the same, then either one of those, though probably leaning more towards phoenix since he'd need some physical presence for flagg. all i know is, crispin glover has to be in it somehow. maybe as jack mort?
susan delgado - a younger scarlet johannson
jonas - unforgiven-era richard harris
voice of blaine - james earl jones
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:12 am

good suggestions, King said in interviews in the 80s that he always wanted Flagg played by Robert Duvall, now he's probably too old for that now but I could see Joquin Phoneix doing a young Duvall doing Flagg
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby klinteastwood on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:50 pm

first post in da Zone!...woohoo

anyways, big Dark Tower fan here..I must say that I have complete faith in JJ Abrams and his people to adapt this beast of a tale, especially after seeing what a good job Abrams did on Star Trek. As far as the cast..I really dont know..Roland is of course the trickiest..I really wouldnt mind if Bale played him, or Daniel Craig if he was a little taller..I read somewhere suggesting Daniel Day to play Roland..that would be kind of interesting. Also, ever since Death Proof, Ive thought that chick Tracie Thomas would make a good Susannah. And however posted Sam Rockwell as Flagg is right on the money :D
klinteastwood
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Hello Klint Eastwood. Thanks for hiring me to be on your new movie, Hereafter - then cancelling me like a sonofabitch!

I see different blurred variations on the basic image I have for Roland, right now I picture him somewhere crossed between Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford if I was told to refer to an actor in how to compare him. Blue Eyes, craggy wrinkly weathered dark face, not too ugly or good looking.

Jake somewhere related to the kid from Jurassic Park 3.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:27 pm

I saw somewhere the suggestion of Nick Nolte for Roland.
I like Nolte's voice for Roland, but he'd need dark hair.
...and would probably have to clean up a little.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Fievel wrote:I like Nolte's voice for Roland, but he'd need dark hair.

Who, this guy?

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Fievel wrote:I saw somewhere the suggestion of Nick Nolte for Roland.

if nick nolte plays roland, then eddie HAS to be played by eddie murphy.

then they can call it 48 (Dark) Towers.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:21 pm

this is Nolte's next project didn't you know
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:30 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:I saw somewhere the suggestion of Nick Nolte for Roland.

if nick nolte plays roland, then eddie HAS to be played by eddie murphy.

then they can call it 48 (Dark) Towers.

KAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!! Excellence.

I also thought of Nolte for Roland, or along those lines. I hate to throw stars at movie characters for hypathetical castings as there are thousands of actor's faces and talents that can play a role, but I picture Roland with an exceptional craggy old and lined face and Nolte as an actress once told me, pretty much does have the ultimate in a detailed actor face. All those lines and world weariness pain and experience is all there - not to mention in those harrowed eyes.

The age thing of Roland and Nolte not exactly matching was my only concern.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby klinteastwood on Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:44 pm

who would play Stephen King in the films???

I know!

klinteastwood
GLIB

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:08 pm

klinteastwood wrote:who would play Stephen King in the films???

I know!

hahaha, not bad...not bad at all.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bloo on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:48 pm

that's awesome
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:02 pm

I am actually curious as to the status of Damon's involvement with the Dark Tower series. Is there hope for us Stephen King fans that this project is in the works? -- Lorrie Q.

Damon Lindelof wrote:You'll be hard-pressed to find a huger fan of The Dark Tower than me, but that's probably the reason that I shouldn't be the one to adapt it. After working six years on Lost, the last thing I want to do is spend the next seven years adapting one of my favorite books of all time. I'm such a massive Stephen King fan that I'm terrified of screwing it up.

I'd do anything to see those movies written by someone else. My guess is they will get made because they're so incredible. But not by me.

source
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby justcheckin on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Flag/Marten/Walter - Helmut Bakaitis
Blain’s Voice – Hugo Weaving (good call travis-dane)
Jake - Max Records or Nathan Gamble (good call thefraze)
Jonas - Michael Chiklis
Susannah - Jada Pinkett Smith
Eddie - Zachary Quinto

Roland - Nick Nolte are you insane? Roland should have rugged good looks that are weathered from hard times, old but almost ageless at the same time. It needs to be someone who looks hard-late 40s. Nothing too old because Roland is older than time out of mind. Maybe Sean Bean or Gerard Butler... maybe even Clive Owen.

It is hard to get this Flag out of my head!
ImageImage
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:57 pm

CHUD says JJ and Lindelof are definitely out of the DARK TOWER picture.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/21514/1/JJ-ABRAMS-FINISHES-READING-DARK-TOWER-DECIDES-NOT-TO-ADAPT-IT/Page1.html

Fuck!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Neuther the CHUD article nor the MTv article say that they will definitely never do it.

And Devin's editorial on the DT series is pure douchespeak.

EDIT:

Commemt #9 under the article made me LOL:
Ha ha ha! You're so studly Devin Fatassi! The Dark Tower is what you leave in the toilet after eating a box of Krispy Kremes! Ha ha ha obesity!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion