Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 pm

...sigh. There's going to be another one.

Tom Cruise and JJ Abrams are taking part once more, for Mission: Impossible 4.

http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2009/06/mission-impossible-4-jj-abrams-returns.html
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Live Mission or Die Impossible

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:31 pm

I'll watch it if you can promise me that Tom Cruise dies.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:39 pm

I'll watch it if you promise me it'll actually be exciting and spyish unlike the last one.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:10 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I'll watch it if you promise me it'll actually be exciting and spyish unlike the last one.

Oh yeah, I forgot that. It's been so long since this series was anything like that, about 40 years.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:58 pm

papalazeru wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I'll watch it if you promise me it'll actually be exciting and spyish unlike the last one.

Oh yeah, I forgot that. It's been so long since this series was anything like that, about 40 years.

^this
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:43 pm

papalazeru wrote:I'll watch it if you can promise me that Tom Cruise dies.

Unfortunately it turns out he manages to hang on to the cliff-face at the last moment and escapes death via crashing car explosion.

papalazeru wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot that. It's been so long since this series was anything like that, about.....never, apart from that one episode which was alright.

Corrected.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby max314 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:31 pm

What's with all the Tom hate? Is it because jumping on a couch is worse than verbally raping the lighting grip? Or have we just regressed to the 12th Century where 'religious tolerance' has yet to catch on as the latest buzz word?

Ooh, ooh, I know!! It's because Cruise has a MASSIVE filmography full of quality movies, some of which are iconic staples of film and popular culture.

The bastard.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a fourth outing for the "Mish" series, but I hope it's a return to the taught, intelligent thrills of the first movie and less of the foppish genericism that plagued the last two.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:19 am

Were you speaking in general because I don't see any evidence of Tom hate in this thread? Just a feeling that the last two M:I movies (or possibly all three) have been rather lackluster entertainments.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:25 am

Yeah, it's actually more of a general dislike of Mission Impossible as a whole.

max314 wrote:Ooh, ooh, I know!! It's because Cruise has a MASSIVE filmography full of quality movies, some of which are iconic staples of film and popular culture.

I think there's probably only two complete Tom Cruise films that might be considered as such.

Top Gun
Born of the Fourth of July
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:29 am

I think the "Tom Cruise hate" was the post where papalazeru demand that Cruise die, not something you usually wish upon people you like.

I really like Cruise, I find Abrams to be a mediocare tv guy who directs movies that look and feel like high budget television with a one viewing max, but that's not the worst thing in the world. I thought the last one was okay once, so I'd watch another.

I'm a big Cruise fan and I would rather Cruise do something else than add another installment to this franchise.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am

Ha, that's funny. I read papa's post and assumed he was referring to Ethan Hunt and not specifically Tom Cruise himself.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Yeah, it's actually more of a general dislike of Mission Impossible as a whole.

max314 wrote:Ooh, ooh, I know!! It's because Cruise has a MASSIVE filmography full of quality movies, some of which are iconic staples of film and popular culture.

I think there's probably only two complete Tom Cruise films that might be considered as such.

Top Gun

what, no love for COCKTAIL? sheesh!

i think cruise is a putz, but i have no problem with him as an actor. he's at his best it seems when he's playing a douchebag, like in magnolia or tropic thunder.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:07 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Yeah, it's actually more of a general dislike of Mission Impossible as a whole.

Top Gun

Decent enough movie but:

"...iconic staples of film and popular culture..."

Not really.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Top Gun

Decent enough movie but:

"...iconic staples of film and popular culture..."

Not really.

I'd probably add Rain Man to the list (though more perhaps for Hoffman than for Cruise). And A Few Good Men (though perhaps more for Nicholson than for Cruise).

And, i noted that you said "complete" Cruise films, but there's no question that there are a number of other Cruise films that have added to popular culture or have become somewhat iconic, at least in part.

Risky Business
Legend
The Color of Money
Jerry Maguire
Magnolia

Like the guy or don't (I think he's a nut), but he's had a pretty significant impact on popular culture. Whether it's due to his acting ability, his ability to choose a role, charisma or dumb luck, who knows? But I don't think you can limit his impact to just two films.

All of the Mission Impossible movies suck. All of them. Period.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm also a fan of Eyes Wide Shut, Tropic Thunder and Collateral, and to a lesser extent Minority Report and War of the Worlds. He might be something of a weirdo, but he is pretty canny about the projects that he picks. Which, granted, is probably easier to do when you're one of the most bankable stars in the world (at the time those projects were made).

And I agree with max that there is sort of a disparity between how we treat certain celebrities for bad behavior. Not even necessarily Christian Bale, since I know some people thought he was right, but guys like Russell Crowe who are known for getting into fights and throwing phones at bellhops' heads. There's something different about both of those situations, though (and I don't think it's as easy as saying "Russell Crowe is actually a good actor," since a lot of people who hate Tom Cruise don't even really care about who's a good actor), which I can't put my finger on. I don't *think* it's just the boogeyman of Scientology, even though it's true a lot of people enjoy making fun of it.

As for these movies, I hated the second but enjoyed the first and the third about the same, but I can't say I'm looking forward to a possible sequel.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:And, i noted that you said "complete" Cruise films, but there's no question that there are a number of other Cruise films that have added to popular culture or have become somewhat iconic, at least in part.

Yeah there are no doubts that there are bits in those films which have seeped into popular culture, but I still stand by those two films as the stand outs in terms of the whole film (both also fairly big turning points in his career).

And I also thought about Rain Man and A Few Good Men, and reasoned that the more memorable things about them weren't necessarily due to Cruise (and that's not to particularly take anything away from him).

I'm also a fan of some of his recent films (the Spielbergs in particular) but I tend to find that he's playing "Tom Cruise: Movie Star (TM)" in them, instead of a different character (at least that's who I perceive it). And he has shown, with something like Collateral that he can break that mould.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
I'm also a fan of some of his recent films (the Spielbergs in particular) but I tend to find that he's playing "Tom Cruise: Movie Star (TM)" in them, instead of a different character (at least that's who I perceive it). And he has shown, with something like Collateral that he can break that mould.

I 1000000% agree with this statement, it's my biggest problem with Cruise's recent work. I agree with the Collateral statement as well.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:52 am

Cruise is an actor with limits and strengths like any other actor. Like somebody earlier said, he's best when he plays a character who is unlikeable. That's why most of his best films are either stories about redemption or about a guy learning temperence, that way he can play to his strengths of being a convincing schmuck for the first half and then gradually become a more tempered ethical person by the end.

As for his performances as Tom Cruise: Movie Star (tm), he's one of those few actors who can both act and be a moviestar. They're not the same thing. A lot of great actors have tried their hands at summer blockbuster fare and failed miserably. Some moviestar guys have tried to really act with mixed results. Cruise can go between playing a three dimensional character and a one dimensional character and knowing when to do which one.

I think he's a really underrated actor.

But I don't really care about the Mission: Impossible series, and Abrams is a television guy. Everything he does feels televisiony and his involvement in anything takes it down a couple notches for me. He worked with Cruise and Hoffman in M:I 3, those guys are two of the better actors working right now, and Abrams brought their performances down to a tv level. I liked M:I 3 more than Star Trek and think they're both reasonably entertaining, but they've got the tv stink all over them.

Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Mission: Impossible 4 (Live Mission or Die Impossible)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:19 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:16 am

From THR:
'Incredibles' helmer on 'Mission: Impossible IV' list (exclusive)
As the search for a "Mission: Impossible IV" director intensifies, a surprising contender has emerged: Brad Bird.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri May 07, 2010 10:14 am

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65810

apparently it is confirmed, Brad Bird is directing. good news, eh

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri May 07, 2010 11:53 am

Peven wrote:http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65810

apparently it is confirmed, Brad Bird is directing. good news, eh

I suppose it will give him live action directing experience,but it's really only a good thing if it earns him enough goodwill(read funding) to make 1906.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Fri May 07, 2010 12:33 pm

i could care less about seeing a movie about the 1906 eathquake. really, i already know how it ends, and seeing a movie just for the latest special effects depicting a bunch of people getting crushed and burned to death doesn't really do it for me

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Peven wrote:i could care less about seeing a movie about the 1906 eathquake. really, i already know how it ends, and seeing a movie just for the latest special effects depicting a bunch of people getting crushed and burned to death doesn't really do it for me

... sometimes I could just smack you.

Plot overview from wiki-

Based on the best-selling novel 1906 by James Dalessandro-

1906 follows a young investigative reporter and a young cop trying to uncover rampant political corruption in 1906 San Francisco. The city is one of the most beautiful in the world, but underneath the veneer there is mob rule, shanghaiing of sailors, and even trafficking in Chinese slave girls.

Annalisa Passarelli, the Evening Bulletin's music critic, is secretly helping Byron Fallon, the chief of detectives, gather dirt on ficitional character Adam Rolf. Rolf runs a corrupt political syndicate and secretly spreads his influence via his proxy, mayor Eugene Schmitz, an actual historical figure. Schmitz employs an army of goons on the waterfront led by the unsavory character, James "Shanghai" Kelly, also a real person. Byron is killed right as he is about to arrest the mayor. So Byron's son, Hunter, a former student, teams up with Annalisa and the Brotherhood, a group of honest cops, to bring down Rolf. Before they can incriminate Rolf, the San Francisco Earthquake plunges the city into chaos. The widespread acts of fraud and profiteering in the city government further complicate the already tragic disaster.

More from IMDB-
The day before the great San Francisco Earthquake, anti-graft crusaders were about to arrest the entire city administration in the greatest corruption probe in history, launched in President Roosevelt's office. Under the cover of the ensuing fire and chaos, corrupt officials struck back at their enemies. Incompetence and corruption only fed the disaster: the army shot dozens of innocent people as suspected looters, and used dynamite in an attempt to blast fire breaks, which started hundreds of other fires. More than 28,000 buildings burned, still the nation's largest disaster.

:-P
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 07, 2010 1:31 pm

I was more on Peven's side about 1906, but that actually sounds pretty fascinating. I had heard he was having trouble rustling up funds for the project, which is surprising given his/Pixar's clout. Anyway I'm not really interested in another Mission: Impossible movie, but I guess it's good that if anyone's doing it, it's 1) someone as talented as Bird, and 2) not Edgar Wright (he needs to direct Ant-Man dammit!)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Fri May 07, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm just excited to see Bird handle live action. He's my dream for a new Superman project and as a writer he's fantastic so I hope he gets some say regarding the script (though of course Cruise will stick his scientology oar in sadly). It makes sense for him to take on a gig like this though, established franchise, huge star etc etc means he's got a greater chance of getting his own live action stuff greenlit.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Peven on Sat May 08, 2010 1:02 am

i'm sorry i let you down again, Bucky :oops: :( :P

but i bet it still ends up being a set up to an fx disaster bonanza at the end, ala Titanic :-P :wink: . at least with Bird the set up will most likely be engaging

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:56 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Picks 'Hurt Locker's Jeremy Renner To Co-Star With Tom Cruise In 'Mission: Impossible 4'

From Variety:
Inside Par's 'Mission' revamp - No title yet for next pic in franchise; Renner signs
Pamela McClintock wrote:Paramount is on a mission to redo the "Mission: Impossible" franchise.

The new Tom Cruise film, directed by Brad Bird, may have a title that goes in a different direction from the previous three and will introduce an agent played by Jeremy Renner who could also be featured in any subsequent pics. But one of the biggest changes won't be easily seen by audience members: a different financial arrangement.

Details of the plot are under wraps, although insiders said the story brings a fresh perspective to the action-spy franchise and does not pick up where the last film left off.

Insiders disclosed Thursday that the next film in the series won't be called "Mission: Impossible IV." It's possible that the title won't even include any variation of the familiar moniker (much as Christopher Nolan's Batman sequel was simply titled "The Dark Knight").
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:33 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:20 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Mission: Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

That might work. I wouldn't bother if Cruise were still involved,
because I'm pretty much done paying to see microbe brains like Cruise & Gibson.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:39 pm

The Vicar wrote:That might work. I wouldn't bother if Cruise were still involved,
because I'm pretty much done paying to see microbe brains like Cruise & Gibson.

Shia might be available.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 pm

From THR:
Jeremy Renner Could 'Take Over' 'Mission Impossible' From Tom Cruise

Jeremy Renner is being groomed to replace Tom Cruise in future Mission Impossible movies.

Renner, who co-stars in the fourth film, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, tells MTV News from the Dubai set, "It's a franchise to potentially take over. I can't predict the future and what they want, but that's certainly the idea."

Last year, The Hollywood Reporter quoted an insider saying that J.J. Abrams and Cruise were considering "hand[ing] the reigns over to a younger actor, or even to an ensemble." PHOTOS: Hollywood's new A-list.

Renner declined to say if the hand-off is written into the current film, such as when Harrison Ford tipped his hat to Shia LaBeouf in the Indiana Jones reboot.

"I can't really go into the details of the script, because that's still evolving," he said. "It's Tom's baby. He's the engine behind the thing. What happens after that, we'll see."

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, directed by Brad Bird, is due in theaters on Dec. 16, 2011. Inglourious Basterds' Lea Seydoux will play the female villain and it'll star Lost's Josh Holloway in his first major film role, The Hollywood Reporter first revealed.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:37 am

From Thompson on Hollywood:
Jeremy Renner Talks “The Town,” “Mission Impossible,” “The Avengers”

Jeremy Renner Interview MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, THE TOWN (part 3)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:16 am

Brad Bird has to be one of the most distinctive and entertaining voices in American entertainment, from his genius on The Simpsons to the three pretty much flawless animated features he's written and directed the man can't seem to help but create stories that are thought provoking and incredibly heartfelt too, he's also a storyteller who values both traditional and progressive values making for a well balanced general philosophy that runs through his movies.
So how is a guy who's been somewhat of an Auteur (albeit in the medium of feature animation which is inherently more collaborative than live action) going to handle a Tom Cruise starring (and produced, yes?) 4th film in a blockbuster franchise that's comprised of one great film (DePalma, ftw!) one unmitigated turd (John Woo, wtf?) and one very average spy thriller (JJ Abrams, twf*)?
Simon Pegg has his Hollywood arselicking hat on so while I'm not really inclined to trust his word about MI:GP but the cast is damn cool and the MI franchise, much like the Alien franchise is rather perfect for allowing a talented director to make something singular and memorable.
So, what does everyone else think?

*I have no idea what twf means but it looked good.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Re: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 am

TonyWilson wrote:Brad Bird has to be one of the most distinctive and entertaining voices in American entertainment, from his genius on The Simpsons to the three pretty much flawless animated features he's written and directed the man can't seem to help but create stories that are thought provoking and incredibly heartfelt too, he's also a storyteller who values both traditional and progressive values making for a well balanced general philosophy that runs through his movies.
So how is a guy who's been somewhat of an Auteur (albeit in the medium of feature animation which is inherently more collaborative than live action) going to handle a Tom Cruise starring (and produced, yes?) 4th film in a blockbuster franchise that's comprised of one great film (DePalma, ftw!) one unmitigated turd (John Woo, wtf?) and one very average spy thriller (JJ Abrams, twf*)?
Simon Pegg has his Hollywood arselicking hat on so while I'm not really inclined to trust his word about MI:GP but the cast is damn cool and the MI franchise, much like the Alien franchise is rather perfect for allowing a talented director to make something singular and memorable.
So, what does everyone else think?

I think it's going to be good.
Brad Bird TWF!

From /film:
Simon Pegg Calls ‘Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol’ A Rebirth; Praises Brad Bird
But is it AMAZEBALLS?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 am

:oops:
Knew I shoulda searched for the MI4 thread
TonyWilson

Re: Mission: Impossible : Ghost Protocol

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Brad Bird's first live action film has me excited. But it should have been the Superman Reboot. He would have knocked that shit out of the park.

Still, I enjoy Tom Cruise as an actor (though most have a hard time seeing beyond his crazy personal life) and he is especially good in these films.

Color me interested.

EDIT: Aren't dupe threads awesome? I bet this nets us a whole bunch of new users!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Rebirthballs?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Mission: Impossible : Ghost Protocol

Postby SilentScream on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Still, I enjoy Tom Cruise as an actor (though most have a hard time seeing beyond his crazy personal life) and he is especially good in these films.

I swing both ways as regards the Cruisester (if you'll pardon the pun). Sometimes I like him on screen, sometimes he annoys the hell out of me. But I'll give him one thing; he does seem to have time for us ordinary movie fans. He spends ages speaking, signing autographs and having photos taken with the public when he attends the premiere of any of his new movies. A small gesture, maybe, but fair play to him on that.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Re: Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol

Postby SilentScream on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Though I qualify my above statement by saying I still think he's a total loony-ball.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Brad Bird has to be one of the most distinctive and entertaining voices in American entertainmen...

You lost me here.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Brad Bird has to be one of the most distinctive and entertaining voices in American entertainmen...

You lost me here.

It means that TonyWilson believes Brad Bird to be a very good filmmaker. He is not wrong.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie Discussion