Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Meh. If it's a spy film you want, go watch TINKER TAYLOR SOLDIER SPY. That should be getting more theatres, more viewings, and more posts here. Knowing this place, that's more an impossible mission than people watching this film and screaming for Andy Serkis to get a best supporting actor Oscar nomination.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby max314 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:07 pm

I think there's room in the world for all types of films.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Not, in, mine.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Not, in, mine.

You live in a tiny, tiny world.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:51 pm

minstrel wrote:

Quality, not, Quantity.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Quality, not, Quantity.

Okay. You got me. Go ahead and live in your high-quality, thimble-sized world. The rest of us will watch movies.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:24 am

minstrel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Quality, not, Quantity.

Okay. You got me. Go ahead and live in your high-quality, thimble-sized world. The rest of us will watch movies.

And henceforth thus, I will watch you all make the 2012 prophecy come true to your world. While I sit all safe and smug, I mean, snug, in mine. :twisted:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:53 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Meh. If it's a spy film you want, go watch TINKER TAYLOR SOLDIER SPY. That should be getting more theatres, more viewings, and more posts here. Knowing this place, that's more an impossible mission than people watching this film and screaming for Andy Serkis to get a best supporting actor Oscar nomination.

andy serkis is in this? did he play the skyscraper, or the jet airplane?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby max314 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Quality, not, Quantity.

I feel the same way about comma usage :wink:
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Meh. If it's a spy film you want, go watch TINKER TAYLOR SOLDIER SPY. That should be getting more theatres, more viewings, and more posts here.

I do want to see Tinker Tailor, but I'd rather watch the miniseries with Alec Guinness first. But I will post about it once I do, I promise. In the meantime there's Ghost Protocol, which probably isn't a very realistic spy movie, but at least it's a good action movie.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:48 am

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
max314 wrote:Solid Summer flick.

Go see it.

It's Winter.

No.

It's times like this that I wish Oh Snap Vampire was still around...

or
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Nice Marmot on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Saw it last night. IMAX. Fun flick. Action out the yin-yang and more BMWs than I could count. Found Renner's character's backstory kinda anticlimatic.

The actress playing the female agent. She was in Precious. GORGEOUS!

Blonde hotty playing a baddie too...
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Re: Mission: Impossible 5!!!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Brad Bird Says He’s Unlikely to Return for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5; Talks About Changing GHOST PROTOCOL’s Ending During Filming
Adam Chitwood wrote: Though we weren’t exactly lacking in popcorn movies last year, one of the most fun times I had in a movie theater in 2011 was most certainly Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. Brad Bird, director of The Incredibles and The Iron Giant, made his live-action debut in a big way with the crowd pleasing fourth entry in the Mission: Impossible franchise. What’s not to love about Tom Cruise playing out a death defying action sequence thousands of feet in the sky on a giant IMAX screen? Given that a different director has helmed each film in the franchise, most weren’t exactly expecting Bird to return for the next installment. The director has now, unsurprisingly, confirmed that he’s unlikely to helm Mission: Impossible 5, but he also revealed that they changed the film’s ending during the middle of production.

Hit the jump to see what he had to say, but beware of obvious spoilers for the ending of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.

First up, here’s what Bird had to say when asked if he would be returning for Mission: Impossible 5 during an interview with Crave Online:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 pm

TheButcher wrote:Brad Bird Says He’s Unlikely to Return for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5; Talks About Changing GHOST PROTOCOL’s Ending During Filming
Adam Chitwood wrote: Though we weren’t exactly lacking in popcorn movies last year, one of the most fun times I had in a movie theater in 2011 was most certainly Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. Brad Bird, director of The Incredibles and The Iron Giant, made his live-action debut in a big way with the crowd pleasing fourth entry in the Mission: Impossible franchise. What’s not to love about Tom Cruise playing out a death defying action sequence thousands of feet in the sky on a giant IMAX screen? Given that a different director has helmed each film in the franchise, most weren’t exactly expecting Bird to return for the next installment. The director has now, unsurprisingly, confirmed that he’s unlikely to helm Mission: Impossible 5, but he also revealed that they changed the film’s ending during the middle of production.

Hit the jump to see what he had to say, but beware of obvious spoilers for the ending of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.

First up, here’s what Bird had to say when asked if he would be returning for Mission: Impossible 5 during an interview with Crave Online:

YES!!! Simon Pegg agrees with me about Alien3, and apparently so does Brad Bird. sweet :-P :-P :-P :-P

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Another interesting choice that was made for the film: so much of the spy genre is based on cool, interesting gadgets. This film is based on the failure of technology. Every action sequence, even that bit on the train, is about how, “We have this high-tech technology that reads your retinas… and it’s really inconvenient!”

Right. [Laughs] When I first got involved in the film, J.J. asked me, “Are there any things that you would love to see in a spy movie?” And I listed about five things, and one them was that idea, that I wanted the gadgets to be as unreliable as they are in life, you know? They enjoyed that idea and were very supportive.

And here I thought I was clever for getting that Bird's big idea was to mix incredible technological gadgets with the failure of said technology. Oh well. :oops:

The same thing applies to the action sequences... there are about three jumps in the movie that Tom Cruise DOESN'T make, just wipes out or falls on his ass, which is something you never see in action movies and which I assume is to lend credibility to all the amazing stuff he does that's not actually possible.

It's a good idea and I think in the long run it's part of why Ghost Protocol works as well it does, but it's definitely a noticeable motif.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 am

Ribbons wrote:
Another interesting choice that was made for the film: so much of the spy genre is based on cool, interesting gadgets. This film is based on the failure of technology. Every action sequence, even that bit on the train, is about how, “We have this high-tech technology that reads your retinas… and it’s really inconvenient!”

Right. [Laughs] When I first got involved in the film, J.J. asked me, “Are there any things that you would love to see in a spy movie?” And I listed about five things, and one them was that idea, that I wanted the gadgets to be as unreliable as they are in life, you know? They enjoyed that idea and were very supportive.

And here I thought I was clever for getting that Bird's big idea was to mix incredible technological gadgets with the failure of said technology. Oh well. :oops:

The same thing applies to the action sequences... there are about three jumps in the movie that Tom Cruise DOESN'T make, just wipes out or falls on his ass, which is something you never see in action movies and which I assume is to lend credibility to all the amazing stuff he does that's not actually possible.

It's a good idea and I think in the long run it's part of why Ghost Protocol works as well it does, but it's definitely a noticeable motif.

except when Cruise swings into that open window, halfway, then getting slammed into the floor, before Pegg and the chick pull him back in before he plunges to his death, two of my kids said, "no way", out loud when we saw it in the theatre. I enjoyed the movie but Bird pushed the envelope past the suspension of disbelief on that one.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:34 am

So I saw this movie and thought it was kinda lousy, sloppy, charmless, and lazy. The film was lacking on all fronts other than ambition in terms of staging big stunt moments.

I think if the interplay among the team had been more lively I could've overlooked that the story made no sense and that most of the time they were just doing pointless things in the most complicated way possible. There wasn't a fun a rapport among these guys, and four films into this series, I still can't name one personality trait of Ethan Hunt.

They set up this dynamic about Renner being responsible for the death of Cruise's wife, which could've been interesting but it wasn't because Cruise's character never seemed like he was mourning or angry (because he wasn't, because she wasn't dead). If they actually did make the movie about a guy forced to work with the guy who he blamed for the death of his wife, it could've brought more tension to the film.

The big stunt moments were all good, and as mentioned by others, I liked that Cruise didn't always stick the landing perfectly. The fact that Cruise would occassionally bang his head added more of a sense of danger to this film than the main plotline's stakes of global nuclear destruction at the hands of an underdeveloped villain.

And what was with the Fred Armisan lookalike that the Russians sent to capture and presumedly torture Tom Cruise? I swear, he might as well have said "Now, please come peacefully with me so that we can torture you to death. Don't make my job difficult by escaping through that window over there. I've had a long day."

So yeah, this movie kinda sucked.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 04, 2012 4:49 pm

After lurking in the 1952 TalkBack over on the main page, I remembered that a couple people in the Zone have seen this movie now, which means I get to ask a question that's been bugging me for a couple months.

Maybe I completely misunderstood the scene, but at one point when Tom Cruise is scaling the Burj Khalifa, he passes another glove just like his stuck to the side of a window. wtf? Did he fall at some point and catch up with the glove that he dropped, or was that some kind of surrealist joke on Bird's part implying that someone else had tried to do the same thing and plunged to their death?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Ribbons wrote:After lurking in the 1952 TalkBack over on the main page, I remembered that a couple people in the Zone have seen this movie now, which means I get to ask a question that's been bugging me for a couple months.

Maybe I completely misunderstood the scene, but at one point when Tom Cruise is scaling the Burj Khalifa, he passes another glove just like his stuck to the side of a window. wtf? Did he fall at some point and catch up with the glove that he dropped, or was that some kind of surrealist joke on Bird's part implying that someone else had tried to do the same thing and plunged to their death?

Hmm. Didn't he drop it and as it fell it activated and stuck to the window. then he climbs up and gets to it again?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RogueScribner on Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah, there was a shot where the glove malfunctions and falls, but it's so windy up there, it actually swooped up and stuck to the window again.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Paramount Eyes Chris McQuarrie To Helm Tom Cruise In Next ‘Mission: Impossible’
MIKE FLEMING JR. wrote:EXCLUSIVE: After directing Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher, Christopher McQuarrie is poised to take on the next installment of Cruise’s signature tentpole. I’m told that McQuarrie is the choice to helm the fifth Mission: Impossible film that is in the early stages of being put together by Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions. They will hire writers before making it official, but he’s the guy that Cruise and JJ Abrams want.

M:I-5 is a big priority for the studio after the Brad Bird-directed Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol grossed just under $700 million worldwide. McQuarrie, who won the Oscar for scripting The Usual Suspects, has more recently become Cruise’s go-to guy as a writer. After collaborating with Cruise on Valkyrie, McQuarrie has had a credited or uncredited hand in most of Cruise’s recent films including All You Need Is Kill, Ghost Protocol (uncredited), and the Top Gun 2 film which is in limbo after the death of director Tony Scott. Paramount and Skydance also have McQuarrie developing to direct Without Remorse, the action thriller based on the Tom Clancy novel.

The Mission: Impossible opportunity comes off the excitement that Paramount and Skydance are experiencing over Jack Reacher, which McQuarrie directed after adapting the script from the Lee Child novel One Shot. Cruise plays the title character, who in the books is a hulking former military cop who drifts around the country and always ends up unraveling conspiracies with his intellect and oversized fists. While Cruise doesn’t match Reacher’s size, the author was the one who felt most strongly that Cruise was the right guy for the job. After seeing Cruise’s work playing killers in Ghost Protocol and Michael Mann’s Collateral, I don’t doubt Child’s judgment. Paramount and Skydance are hoping it leads to another franchise. The film opens December 21. McQuarrie’s repped by CAA, Key Creatives and attorney David Fox.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 24, 2013 2:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:17 am

Spider-Man gloves allow people to climb walls
Superhuman speed and strength still may be out of reach, but scientists have devised a way to scale buildings like Spider-Man.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:18 am

Tom Cruise cheats death in crazy 'Mission: impossible 5' plane stunt
THIS IS WHY HE'S BEEN A MOVIE STAR FOR 30 STRAIGHT YEARS NOW
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- ROGUE NATION

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:23 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- ROGUE NATION

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:11 am

Harry says Christopher McQuarrie's MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ROGUE NATION is a meticulously crafted badass film!
The motorcycle chase in this thing is friggin crackle nuts!
Harry wrote:MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ROGUE NATION makes me happy as all hell! I sat in on many panels at the AUSTIN FILM FESTIVAL centered around Christopher McQuarrie, with Chris there answering sharper than any other writer / director I’ve seen talk. His WAY OF THE GUN is just a tremendously under watched masterpiece of violence cinema! James Caan is gold in that film, and the soundtrack and geometry of action – well… I LOVE IT.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 pm

The best trailer that aired during the Superbowl wasn't one for Avengers or Star Wars, but Mission: Impossible.

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 pm

My same thoughts. Though there doesn't seem to be ONE BIG SELLING STUNT!!! in this trailer there seems to be a lot of good action and Tom doing a lot of scary stunts himself.

Henry Cavill is a candidate for "Movie Man I Wanna Be" at the moment.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 pm

You know, I guess i wasn't blown away simply because this is what i have come to expect from Cruise. Tom is as dependable as they come, let's face it. even when the movie isn't all that great he is solid, and when in a good flick he's fantastic. as an actor i think he is under-rated and among the best working today, definitely within the action genre. I wonder how many MI's he has left in him, though, and how they will end or hand off the series when he decides enough is enough.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:53 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: Though there doesn't seem to be ONE BIG SELLING STUNT!!! in this trailer there seems to be a lot of good action and Tom doing a lot of scary stunts himself.

I have a feeling the helicopter stuff will/is supposed to stand out-
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion