Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Postby The Vicar on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:Brad Bird has to be one of the most distinctive and entertaining voices in American entertainmen...

You lost me here.

It means that TonyWilson believes Brad Bird to be a very good filmmaker. He is not wrong.

Kind of daft you need to explain it, but what can you expect? :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Re: Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol

Postby Peven on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Brad Bird is an unproven live-action director and he has only directed 3 feature-length animated movies. kids/family movies. his best movie was one he made back in the 90's. whether or not he will be able to translate talent he has shown in a few animated productions into a satisfying Mission Impossible blockbuster movie is yet to be seen, though I think there is a better chance than not that he'll make at least a decent flick with some good action set pieces.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:00 am

I think a guy who can direct good animated movies can direct good live-action movies. Brad Bird knows about story and pacing and characters and tension and release of tension. Technical aspects of live action filmmaking that he is not familiar with can be handled by highly-professional cinematographers, stunt coordinators, second-unit directors, and so on.

I expect any movie Brad Bird makes, whether animated or live action, will be good. The man knows his stuff, and he has great STORYTELLING skills.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 am

As clearly, titanically talented as Brad Bird is in the animation domain, I also have my reservations about the jump to live-action. I don't really know enough about the similarities and differences of both to know how easy it is to be good at one just because you're good at the other. Plus Mission: Impossible is a far different movie from... any of the movies he's made. Although I guess The Incredibles had some '60s espionage elements to it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 am

Ribbons wrote:As clearly, titanically talented as Brad Bird is in the animation domain, I also have my reservations about the jump to live-action. I don't really know enough about the similarities and differences of both to know how easy it is to be good at one just because you're good at the other. Plus Mission: Impossible is a far different movie from... any of the movies he's made. Although I guess The Incredibles had some '60s espionage elements to it.

I welcome Brad Bird to the Mission: Impossible franchise. At last, maybe there'll be a GOOD Mission: Impossible movie.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:11 am

From First Showing:
Brad Bird Chats About 'Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol' & '1906'
We haven't heard much from director Brad Bird in quite a while, nor we have seen a trailer yet for the new Mission Impossible (though I did see some footage and heard one is coming in May), but that changes today as Entertainment Weekly has posted an interview with Bird in honor of the recent stunning release of one of his other greats, The Incredibles on Blu-Ray ($25 on Amazon - worth it). But they did slip in a few questions about Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, which stars Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner and Paula Patton, as well as one quick update on 1906, that San Francisco earthquake project he's been developing for years.

Bird is already done shooting Ghost Protocol and is currently in post-production leading to a December 16th release this year. "It was a very challenging shoot. It's a big film and we had to move around a lot. We were doing a lot of physical effects live — we weren't using special effects. And so it was physically a real challenge." Obviously one of the most intriguing aspects of this new M:I movie is that Bird is directing his first live-action feature, which is why it's great to hear that he's doing things like using practical/physical effects rather than all CG effects. EW asked if he misses not being able to direct it as an animated movie:

"Yes and no. The wonderful thing about animation is you have absolute control over every frame. The nightmare of animation is that you have absolute control over every frame. Literally, you have to decide upon everything, and you don't get anything for free. You can't go to a location and simply say, 'This looks good,' and shoot there. You have to discuss what kind of trees, is it a railyard, how wide are the tracks, are the tracks new or old? The amount of planning you have to do is just jaw-dropping."

"So that part of it I'm not sorry to be away from [laughs]. But there are pleasures to be had in both mediums. With live-action, you're trying to catch little moments of lightning in a bottle. In animation you're trying to do that too, but you're doing it one volt at a time."

Speaking of "little moments of lightning in a bottle" coming together on M:I4, Bird confirmed that Cruise did indeed shoot those incredible Burj Khalifa scenes himself, adding that, "He did dangle! That's not a special effect." Oh and if you haven't heard, all of that was shot in glorious 65mm IMAX. From the little glimpse I got in New York, to the positive news I keep hearing about how it's coming together, I cannot wait to see what Brad Bird has got in store for us whenever we get to see the first official trailer for Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol. They're not rushing as they've got a while, but we'll tell you once it's released.

As for 1906, Bird's long-in-development, epic live-action project about the devastating 1906 San Francisco earthquake seems about as stuck in the mud as it was when we last reported on it over 12 months ago, which sadly seems to be this movie's fate. Here's what Bird says when EW asks him if that's still next after M:I4:
"I don't know. It's all about getting the story to work, and the canvas is so big on it that it's easy to bust down its movie-sized walls and go rampaging throughout the countryside. The problem has always been scaling it and containing it in a movie-sized length. It's really a movie that wants to be a miniseries. But if you did it as a miniseries, then you'd have to do it for the small screen, and the story demands to be told on a big screen. So we're still working on it."

That sounds like it would be an epic story to fill a miniseries, but remember this is an adaptation of James Dalessandro's novel. Years ago, Bird described it as "a romantic, epic mystery with lots of action in it, based around events leading up to and through the earthquake of San Francisco of 1906." It definitely sounds like an interesting project and something that I hope we'll one day see, but I have a feeling once Bird finishes Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, he'll probably move on to something bigger and better (or maybe just different). If you want to read the full interview with Brad Bird that covers The Incredibles and his work on that, head over to Entertainment Weekly. In the meantime, we'll keep you updated on M:I4 and beyond!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

English version now here:

http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,20483133,00.html

I don't know... looks like a potentially interesting who-can-you-trust? spy story, but it also looks weirdly derivative of the last movie (and that one money shot with the car from Die Hard 4). And outrunning two giant death clouds? Come on, Brad Bird!

Also don't watch too closely, because I'm pretty sure there's a super-spoilerific shot in there concerning the fate of Josh Holloway's character.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Looks good to me. I am really looking forward to what BB has in store for us.

And for that Giacchino score!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Amazing. Simply amazing. Good to see Simon Pegg getting some play here.

But no Ving Rhames? I thought I saw his face pop up on that computer screen with all the disavowed agents in the French version along with King Henry. Oh well.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Yeah, me too. It was probably just a nod (obviously Jonathan Rhys-Meyers isn't in the movie either).

Seriously guys? I have loved everything Brad Bird has done but I'm just not seeing the sailboat here. To me there's nothing special about this trailer and all the best shots came from other films. Great cast though (and yay for more Simon Pegg screentime).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Looks good to me. I am really looking forward to what BB has in store for us.

Me too!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:57 am

Looks OK. Haven't they already done the you've-been-setup routine in the MI franchise already? Wasn't it the first movie?

And if I see one face-peel super-spy-mask in any of these trailers I'm OUT!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 am

TheButcher wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Looks good to me. I am really looking forward to what BB has in store for us.

Me too!

It'll be interesting to hear how Giacchino's score differs from the one he did for Mission: Impossible: III. It's the same series, genre, etc., but he tends to make very different-sounding scores for Bird than he does for Abrams.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:28 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:30 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 pm

My God, an Expect Analysis of a Mission Impossible trailer? Jeebus people, get a life!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 pm

TheButcher wrote:
so sorry wrote:My God, an Expect Analysis of a Mission Impossible trailer? Jeebus people, get a life!

You should check out TheBaxter's analysis of Finchers trailer for THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO!

Burn!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:01 am

Yeah I wasn't blown away by the trailer, it didn't have seem like a Brad Bird film, but then we've never seen a live action Brad Bird film so maybe this is his style (sheds single tear). I'm kinda confident that we'll get one or two holy shit balls set pieces because he's great at them and surely designing one (not filming one) has gotta be similar for live action and animation.
BB didn't have much of a hand in the story though so I guess that will be the generic kinds of spy stuff, but I'm ok with that really. I was expecting a bit of game changer and this really doesn't look like that but I'm gonna dial back my expectation and hope. :?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:30 am

So I was thinking about it and I take back what I previously said about it looking like this movie could have been directed by anybody. One thing I noticed that Bird brings to all his films is tiny little behavioral details. In this case, I like that the women of the film take their heels off to fight, which SHOULD be a no-brainer, but then, look at all the examples to the contrary. Still not feeling it, but I thought that was a nice touch.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:14 am

Ribbons wrote:One thing I noticed that Bird brings to all his films is tiny little behavioral details. In this case, I like that the women of the film take their heels off to fight

VISION!!!!
BRIAN DE WHO?! FINCHER FARK OFF!!!!

Now..... I finally watched the trailer.

Oh dear.

First off. Disavowed! Wow, that's a MI first! Never heard that one before! You've been set up, are now like fugitives wrongly accused and are going on the run to clear your name!! ANOTHER FIRST!!! Never before in the history of MI movies has that plot device been done, well not since MI1 and MI3. Wow, MI2 you really are the worst of the lot for doing something different.

Action wise. Was there ANY real memorable looking action set piece amongst all this, let alone anything that made the first movie stand out and has left us wanting equivalently memorable and exceptional scenes in the movies following it? No. But in this trailer the action looks even more ordinary and unexceptional than any of the other films here. Generiiiiiiiiiicccc zzzzzzzz......

Don't give me vision or look to this film either, all those unatmospheric daytime scenes that could have been made by a bloody kid on his Iphone. Use a freaking red filtered lense why don't you?! Vittoria Stararo would!

But this one's got CGI explosions and a guy being thrown by one ala Indy 4 never seen that before! Yawneeeeeee!!!!!

Oh and Tom - love the continuity breaks from this film to last film. Gone is your retirement and your mute bird wife, Ving Rhames who was the only thing keeping a thread flowing through the films, and yet ANOTHER group of strangers to mostly sit back and let you do the work as leader of their 'team'.

I'm still wondering what the heck happened to Anthony Hopkins from MI2! What's Tom Wilkinson doing here?! How can he deliver the line "Your mission if you choose to accept it" with an unconvincing straight serious face?

Dear oh dear, this film deserves to bloody flop and bury this 'franchise' which should have happened 2 movies ago.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:06 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 am

[INSERT ANAL SEX JOKE HERE]
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:05 am

so sorry wrote:

[INSERT ANAL SEX JOKE HERE]

that's what she* said.

* and by "she" i obviously mean "tom cruise"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby max314 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:10 am

Looking forward to this one.

Big fan of the first film. Still recovering from my disappointment of the second. The third film was solid but felt like it needed a few more drafts to really hit the spot.

With Brad Bird on board and some great talent involved, I have a feeling this fourth and potentially final outing for Agent Ethan Hunt could be pretty darn sweet.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:15 am

Soooo...... Brad Bird is a Scientologist?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:58 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51737

Tom Cruise doing bug-nuts crazy fucking stunts on the world's tallest building. Saw what you will about this wacko, but he's got some big balls on that small frame to even think about doing this. They would have to figure out a way to attach safety lines directly to my spine to get me to step outside that window...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:27 am

J.A.F.O. # 013: Mission: Impossible Series Keeps Repeating Itself & We Still Love It
Ron Henriques wrote:The first project released under his new C/W production company with former agent Paula Wagner, Mission: Impossible was a bonafide hit for star Tom Cruise and Paramount Pictures when it opened at the start of the 1996 summer movie season. Based on the popular TV series created by Bruce Gellar and directed by Brian DePalma, the film was perhaps the actor's first straightforward action adventure after a string of successful dramas and comedies that made him a heartthrob. For many die-hard fans of the series, like myself, something was out of place.

Cruise, DePalma and Wagner had put together a good spy thriller, but in no way was this Mission: Impossible. The fact that the star once stated on the red carpet, “This is not your dad's Mission: Impossible” didn't help matters. The premise of a team of spies with specific individual skills working together on an important mission was chucked in favor of making Cruise the center of attention. By attempting to shake things up in having Cruise's lead protagonist Ethan Hunt lose his entire team in the first act only to discover double agents and betrayals as he assembled another group in the second, many fans were left feeling alienated. There was also the fact that the film's plot was somewhat...convoluted. The MacGuffin of the film or so-called object that the heroes and villains were in pursuit of, was not fully explained until halfway through the picture. The NOC List (Non-Official Cover List) which matched the names of agents' cover names with their true names, sounded more like “Annapolis” or “Knockwurst” when a character said it. Then there was DePalma's method of revealing clues, similar to the Hitchcock style he copied in many of his films, but not as successful. Yet the film still manages to hod up as an engaging adventure, fifteen years after its release.

Cruise and Wagner attempted to shake things up even further by hiring Hong Kong action director John Woo for the sequel M:I-2 which truth be told is a mess. Gone was an intelligent spy story in favor of the violent ballet gun battles that Woo was known for. Such a kinetic style worked if you had dimensional characters and a good story, but Cruise looked rather ridiculous portraying an agent who used his wits in the first film and now relied on blasting away bad guys left and right while performing seemingly “impossible” stunts in the second. Again his character Ethan Hunt was made the complete center of attention.

Cruise was very much the star of M:i-iii, but for the first time he and Wagner produced a picture that felt like a Mission: Impossible movie. Former screenwriter J.J. Abrams, who made a huge splash in the world of television with shows like Felicity, Lost and the spy series Alias, made his directorial debut with this second sequel. We finally had a Mission: Impossible film with a good story and Cruise was given incredible support by a team of actors that included sereies regular Ving Rhames and newcommers Jonathan Rhys Myers and Maggie Q. There was also a strong human element added to the mission with the stakes being raised as Hunt is forced to steal a mysterious object to save his fiance.

Despite Cruise's falling out with Paramount Pictures just a few years ago, he's re-teamed with the studio to make a fourth installment to the successful franchise and it looks like it might be a winner. Abrams, who has gone on to successfully re-vitalize the studio's Star Trek franchise, now serves as producer, being replaced in the director's chair by former animation director Brad Bird, the man behind, The Iron Giant and Pixar's The Incredibles. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is a story where Hunt and his IMF team are forced to operate in secret without the aid of their government after being framed for a bombing at the Kremlin.

As exciting as these action films can be, one can't help but wonder if we've seen it all before. Recently while discussing the films with a friend he said to me, “Yeah, looks like more of the same sh**t.” “I know,” I replied “and yet I'm still looking forward to seeing it. After the second trailer for the film debuted a few days ago, it dawned on me that these films have a habit of repeating themselves. Here's what I noticed. What did you pick up on?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Mission: Impossible 5!!!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:14 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:48 am

From Screenrant:
‘Mission: Impossible 5′ Being Fast-Tracked by Paramount?
Kofi Outlaw wrote:People might look back at the 2011 holiday movie season and claim that they knew Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol was going to be a big hit, but don’t be fooled by that 20/20 hindsight talk. With Tom Cruise finding it harder and harder to strike box office gold in recent years, a movie franchise that many claimed was past its prime, and a director (Brad Bird) whose previous achievements were in the realm of animation… needless to say, there were more than a few doubts hanging over the film.

As of writing this post, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is an undeniable success, having scored well with critics (read our review) and over $100 million at the worldwide box office after an impressive 5-day IMAX debut and just one day in worldwide theatrical release. It’s little surprise, then, that Paramount (and its subsidiary, Skydance Productions) is already looking ahead to Mission: Impossible 5.

Moviehole has done some digging around at the studio and discovered that they are indeed pleased with how Ghost Protocol has performed so far, and are wholly enthused about the movie’s projected earnings over the entire holiday block. As one source connected to Paramount’s production branch claimed, “Skydance definitely wants to get going quickly on [Mission] 5. And a Top Gun.”

[Sidenote: We've previously reported on the in-development sequel to Top Gun, which director Tony Scott and producer Jerry Bruckheimer are onboard for - and would supposedly feature Tom Cruise in a supporting role as Maverick. If you want to know more, just check out our coverage of Top Gun 2.]

As we discussed on our own Mission: Impossible 4 episode of the Screen Rant Underground podcast, with Brad Bird and Tom Cruise having successfully given this franchise a new lease on life, seeing a fifth installment go into production is almost a no-brainer. The next chapter would need to come soon, though, because as was noted by our entire editorial stuff, certain scenes of a shirtless Cruise in M:I4 revealed that, while still buff, the action star is starting to show his age. If he is to remain the face of the franchise, best not to wait too long before sending him on his next Mission.

One of the strengths of Ghost Protocol was its re-aligned focus on an ensemble dynamic, rather than being the “Tom Cruise vs. the world” showcase that previous installments were. Paula Patton, Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner helped shoulder a lot of the weight that would’ve otherwise been placed squarely on Cruise, and if Bird comes back to helm the next film (and he definitely should be given that option) it’s our hope that the team-centric focus continue.

Did you enjoy Mission: Impossible 4? Ready to see Mission: Impossible 5 sooner before later?

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is currently playing in regular and IMAX theaters. We’ll keep you posted on the status of Mission: Impossible 5.

Source: Moviehole
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Saw this today (iMax too). If you can suspend your disbelief of any sense of reality it's a fun popcorn flick. But seriously, don't try and think too hard or you'll get pissed off!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:26 pm

so sorry wrote: Don't try and think too hard or you'll get pissed off!

Good advice at any time or in any place!
The Vicar

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:25 am

so sorry wrote:don't try and think too hard

hey, isn't that the republican motto?

KIDDING!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby max314 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:43 pm

Solid Summer flick.

Go see it.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:46 pm

max314 wrote:Solid Summer flick.

Go see it.

It's Winter.

No.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:21 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Go see it.

It's Winter.

No.

It's times like this that I wish Oh Snap Vampire was still around...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:53 pm

There's still this....

Vampire Santa just creeped me out far too much.
The Vicar

Postby max314 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:55 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Go see it.

It's Winter.

No.

Haha, oops :lol:

I guess you understand what I mean by "Summer flick", though. I'm talking event films. Holiday season type stuff.

But yes, thanks for pointing out the facepalm moment :wink:
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:25 am

No it's cool. But seriously, I do consider your recommendation. If I were in the habit of watching more films I may go and see this one. But as I'm not, I dunno, even with your recommendations and others, I just don't somehow see myself agreeing with all your sentiments. I'm not a fan of these films or Cruise when he does them either, and from what I saw of the trailer, it is full of phony CGI explosions and stuff, that just disgust me out of selling my integrity to this film, sod the skyscraper scene, any genuineity of that won't redeem the computer explosions and other stuff that I saw.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby max314 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:06 am

Wow, that's a pretty militant view you've got there if you don't mind me saying so :shock: I respect it, though. And I partially sympathise.

But the way I see it, fake looking effects existed way before the advent of CGI. Yet when I watched this film, I honestly couldn't notice a single obvious CGI shot. Whether that means the CGI was just that good, or whether I was so engrossed in the film that I didn't notice, I consider that a pretty good thing.

So I say go ahead. Sell out. Feel like a dirty whore. And have a great fucking time :mrgreen:
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:11 am

max314 wrote:But the way I see it, fake looking effects existed way before the advent of CGI. Yet when I watched this film, I honestly couldn't notice a single obvious CGI shot.

Well, Tom Cruise running away from the exploding Kremlin and being hurled at the camera, the nuclear missile, a couple of the stunts in the carport. Most of it was pretty thrilling, but I think because of Brad Bird's background in animation, he staged a few action sequences that sound cool in theory but have a sort of cartoon logic.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby max314 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 am

It's possible we notice those shots because in our mind we're thinking, "There's no way they could have filmed that. Must be CG."

I gave up trying to spot CGI shots a while ago. Yeah, I can sometimes I can tell, just like I can tell that the shot of Himalayas behind the church in Black Narcissus is a beautiful matte painting. But there's a point at which you just go, "It's a movie. This looks stunning. I'm going to have a good time."

Least I did :)
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Ribbons wrote:Well, Tom Cruise running away from the exploding Kremlin and being hurled at the camera, the nuclear missile, a couple of the stunts in the carport. Most of it was pretty thrilling, but I think because of Brad Bird's background in animation, he staged a few action sequences that sound cool in theory but have a sort of cartoon logic.

In all fairness, I don't know what cartoon logic has to do with CGI. I mean, have you ever seen COMMANDO?
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:28 pm

You can have one without the other, but in this case I'm saying that no matter how good the CGI is, there are just some things that won't look real
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby max314 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:42 pm

And I'm cool with things not looking completely real. Within reason.

It's a big budget Hollywood blockbuster. Popcorn-munching fun. I have no problem watching some OTT action in the name of overblown entertainment. Just so long as the story and characters are given priority over spectacle. And I think Ghost Protocol did that relatively well.

Not the best, mind you – DePalma's is still numero uno in my book. But a damn good installment nonetheless.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Yeah, I enjoyed Ghost Protocol as well. And I'd agree that it's a close second to the first one in this series. It was extremely light on characterization, but it was a smart, fun action movie nonetheless. One of the more pleasant surprises of the year since I kind of expected it to be weaksauce.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby max314 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Agreed.

But I do hope the next film takes more of a turn towards DePalma's film. Its aesthetic was kind of reminiscent of those 1960s Cold War espionage thrillers, like The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, starring Richard Burton. Especially with that whole Prague sequence that constitutes the first act.

Not saying it's gotta have that exact feel, of course, but I'd love to see a more tightly wound script. And with more emotional stakes. With this one, I feel the real emotional kick kinda left the movie after...

...Paula Patton exacts her revenge on that diamond assassin at the end of the second act.

They tried to re-ignite it with that twist with Jeremy Renner, but they didn't do anything with it. It had no impact on the narrative. It kinda just popped up during the coda to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy, but was of zero narrative consequence.

In fact, my big problem with M:I-3 (and you may think I'm being an overreactive nut about this) is the complete lack of acknowledging the deceased Lindsey Farris character at the end of the film. Like the entire mission was basically a revenge mission – Ethan trying to even the score for Lindsey by killing Damien. And yet there isn't even an acknowledgement that she even existed after the bridge scene. Just a nod to her empty desk at the end of the movie and Ethan saying some cheesy shit like "We got him, kid" would have sufficed.

But I digress :mrgreen:

Overall solid film. But by no means flawless.
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion