Compared to Transformers 2...

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Compared to Transformers 2...

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 am

A concept started in the Watchmen thread:

Fried Gold wrote:Compared to Transformers 2, Snyder's Watchmen was Citizen Kane.

Bloo wrote:compared to Transformers 2 my poop is Citizen Kane

What other things are like Citizen Kane when compared to that thing known as "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen"?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Compared to Transformers 2......

Postby travis-dane on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Transformers 2 makes Transmorphers 2: Fall of Man look like Citizen Kane!

Transformers 2 makes Bad Boys II look like Citizen Kane!

Transformers 2 makes The Marine look like Citizen Kane!

Transformers 2 makes Citizen Kane look like Citizen Kane!

Transformers 2 makes Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull look like Citizen Kane!

jesus, Transformers 2 is a bad fucking movie, it even makes OLEG look like Citizen Kane!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Re: Compared to Transformers 2......

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:13 pm

travis-dane wrote:
Transformers 2 makes Citizen Kane look like Citizen Kane!

Transformers 2 makes Citizen Kane look like GOD with ambrosia stuffed up his ass.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Re: Compared to Transformers 2...

Postby MSJ on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 am

Transformers 2 is so bad:

it makes a rock look like a lump of minerals
it makes life on Earth looks like it was carbon based
it makes helicase important in normal DNA replication
it makes it makes sound travel through the air by vibration of air molecules

it makes other action movies look like action movies but look less bad because they are not directed by Michael Bay (so they are just a standard 'bad' movie that people buy on DVD and state how much we love on forums like these) or not about Transformers (so no confusion about why robots have accents, culture, religion and biology (?) and no niggling about concepts like Combiners, Pretenders, Action Masters, Predacons, Maximals, Unicron, Matrix and stuff that only Transfans will know anyway, maing it just a standard 'bad' action movie).
MSJ
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 am

MSJ wrote:Transformers 2 is so bad:

it makes other action movies look like action movies but look less bad because they are not directed by Michael Bay (so they are just a standard 'bad' movie that people buy on DVD and state how much we love on forums like these) or not about Transformers (so no confusion about why robots have accents, culture, religion and biology (?) and no niggling about concepts like Combiners, Pretenders, Action Masters, Predacons, Maximals, Unicron, Matrix and stuff that only Transfans will know anyway, maing it just a standard 'bad' action movie).

Uwe?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby buster00 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:01 am

Compared to Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2 is The Day the Clown Cried.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:29 am

Compared to Tranformers 2, Christianity sounds plausible.

papalazeru

Postby buster00 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 am

Compared to bollocks, Terminator Salvation was bollocks.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:59 pm

Compared to Transformers 2, Soul Plane looks like a Spike Lee Joint!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Compared to Transformers 2, Robot Jox is a goddamn Kubrick movie!!!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:32 pm

papalazeru wrote:
MSJ wrote:Transformers 2 is so bad:

Uwe?

King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Fievel on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Many of BigTuna's comments HERE cracked me up.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:40 am

Anyone know where I can get a Lion on a string?

I really feel I've missed out.

papalazeru

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:00 pm

compared to Transformers 2, Transformers 2 looks like Transformers 1...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Transformers 2 makes Gary Coleman look like Magic Johnson...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Thu May 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Oh yes, Salivation is still better.

papalazeru

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:06 am

Hollywood sequels bite into a new crust
Steven Zeitchik wrote:Last year, Domino's Pizza made headlines when it launched a campaign acknowledging that the pizza it had been making up to that point had been, well, pretty bad. "There comes a time when you know you've got to make a change," the company's president said in a television spot, as a customer Tweet about the pizza tasting like cardboard flashed across the screen. The badness, the executive promised, would go no further.

Domino's brand of mea culpa marketing (radical transparency, as Madison Avenue called it) impressed some pundits. It was rare for a company that big to so bluntly admit its shortcomings, let alone to try to use the admission in its favor. Of course, this sort of honesty didn't really cost Domino's much, because it wasn't trying to sell pizza made in the past. In fact, it was kind of brilliant: it simultaneously made the company appear candid while still touting a new product.

The Domino's campaign came to mind as Hollywood rolls out its big-budget sequels. The recurrence of summer cinema's most familiar names is supposed to provide a serving of comfort food. But in the case of some franchises' third and fourth installments, it's served to remind us how much we didn't like the second and third installments.

So studios and actors have made an admission. Yes, yes the last movie in our franchise wasn't that good, they've said. Sorry for not telling you that then. But this time we've gotten it right.

Leading the charge has been Shia LaBeouf, star of this weekend's "Transformers: Dark of the Moon." "We screwed up but we'll do better" has practically been a mantra for the young actor as he makes his publicity rounds. "The second movie we were making on the fly and it was too convoluted," LaBeouf told my colleague Rebeeca Keegan, one of several interviews he gave to this effect. "This movie's very different ... more story line, clearer thought."

Similar spin came, albeit privately, from producers and executives close to "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and "X-Men: First Class," both fourquels whose third installments were seen by many as the cinematic equivalent of cardboard pizza. The previous films did get over-freighted and confusing, they said, but now we've gone back to the franchise's roots.

Critics and average filmgoers seem to be picking up the mantle too, noting almost reflexively when describing a new sequel it may not exactly be an Oscar winner, but at least it's better than the previous film.

The obvious problem with all this, of course, is that it sets the bar kind of low. But it also presents a more subtle issue, one that speaks to how and when studios decide crank out another installment in the first place. Years ago when fan word of mouth went sour on a sequel, that could well stop a franchise in its tracks. (That was often true even when the film took in more money than its predecessor -- e.g., "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade" in 1989). But in the era of the never-ending sequel, a badly received follow-up isn't a franchiser-killer -- it's just another step on a path to redemption.

The honesty tack worked for Domino's. The company saw sales climb by double digits after it went candid. But the formula may not be easily replicated. The bad taste from the second "Transformers" looks like it could affect "Dark of the Moon," which is on pace to make considerably less over its first six days of release. It may not be long before there's a mea culpa for the new film -- just as soon as the fourth "Transformers" begins rolling out.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Compared to MIB 2...

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:these damn movies are keeping Michael Bay from his true purpose...making Bad Boys 3

I'm not sure I want another BAD BOYS movie. The last one was what? Four fucking hours long?

it was better then Transformers 2 and 3

I don't know. Gabrielle Union was reaaaaaally terrible. And Martin Lawrence was such a pussy it was impossible to buy him as a cop. Someone should have punched his mouth. With a brick.

The film is shit. And the entire third act is garbage. I mean they lifted the best part from POLICE STORY, a film which featured a cop pissing himself in fear and was equally unprofessional in that regard.

Pure garbage.

still better then Transformers 2...I'll concede that it's been a long time since I've seen Bad Boys 2 and can't judge fully if it is better then T3

Anything is better than TRANSFORMERS 2.
:lol:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

that's ok, neither did anyone who saw it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Michael Bay's Transformers

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 am

I Do Not Apologize For Any Transformers Movies
It is a drag talking to reporters on sets. Why? Because often times they take your words and skew things to their liking. Then the crazy, lazy game of reporting on what other writers story’s reported me saying and suddenly it becomes skewed Internet truth. So I waste my time to restate exactly what I did say, again.

No I did not ‘apologize’ for any Transformers movies. I did not say I shot the last three movies “less cool” than the new fourth installment. I was talking specifically about camera style and tone, of the first movie compared to how I shot the new installment with a very big scale, cinematic style. I was very specific in saying the first Transformers was shot in a ‘generic suburbia’ area, not trying to be cool with any cinematic flashes. I wanted it to feel like this could happen in any backyard in the United States.

So that brings me to letting Transformers fans know that we have completed our five and half month shoot. We got back from a month long shoot in China. My crew and I had a fantastic time shooting in Hong Kong and Mainland China. It was an amazing experience, and I love the country. My cast was absolutely fantastic, and a very fun group to work with. We are working hard cutting the movie right now. I think the first piece comes out for the Super Bowl and a teaser right after that.

And yes, I’m very excited about this new movie.

Michael
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Transformers 4 is cinematic piss

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:24 pm

AICN vs Bayhem:
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION is cinematic piss...

Nordling Reviews TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION!
Nordling wrote:"You're going to swallow what I give you to swallow." Bogs Diamond, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

"My face is my warrant!" Black Ops soldier, TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION

Nordling, here.

Early in TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION, a minor character laments that all Hollywood is good for these days are remakes and sequels. And for the next 457 hours, Michael Bay proves that point, decisively and authoritatively. I'll be blunt - you're probably going to see this movie. If you've clicked on this article link, you were somewhat interested, and you've likely made up your mind. There isn't a review out there on print or the Internet that will sway you otherwise. For those of us who hated the movie - and boy, did I - you'll just consider us joyless grumps at best, unable to "turn our brains off and enjoy the ride." Well, I rather enjoy my brain; it's done me pretty good so far, and has provided hours of enjoyment and imagination, so forgive me if I don't want to turn into a drooling idiot, eyes glazed over with sensory overload, just yet.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 am

TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Movie Review: It Stinks!
At least it's not as bad as REVENGE OF THE FALLEN? I mean, it's still unwatchably bad.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

What is Bayhem?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Michael Bay - What is Bayhem?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

AKIVA GOLDSMAN'S TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Paramount Appoints Akiva Goldsman As Its New TRANSFORMERS Czar!
mrbeaks wrote:Goldsman has a long and illustrious history of writing shitty tentpole movies. If you're a longtime reader of AICN, you've got to be excited that he's re-teaming with his old BATMAN & ROBIN buddy di Bonaventura on a whole slew of potentially awful TRANSFORMERS movies! This franchise is a license to print money for Paramount, so I can't fault them for bringing in the ultimate company man to protect one of their most valued assets. If they're smart, they'll cram the writer's room with a bunch of young, fanfic-happy screenwriters, pay them in toys and cackle all the way to a $1 billion worldwide gross. This is what the TRANSFORMERS franchise deserves. Bon appétit, motherfuckers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: AKIVA GOLDSMAN'S TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Paramount Enlisting Akiva Goldsman To Ramp Up ‘Transformers’ Output
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Paramount Pictures wants more Transformers. Taking a page from Fox’s incubation of three Avatar sequels and what Disney is doing to revive Star Wars with a sequels and spinoffs, the studio is negotiating with Akiva Goldsman to work with franchise director Michael Bay, exec producer Steven Spielberg and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura to organize a “writer’s room” that will incubate ideas for a potential multi-part Transformers sequel, and come up with potential spinoff films based on the billion-dollar franchise culled from the Hasbro toy line.

Though Goldsman is the Oscar winning writer of A Beautiful Mind and many other big pics, I don’t get the impression the deal being negotiated calls for him to write one of these films. His will be an oversight role to secure writers and hatch the movies they’ll script. This is happening very quickly. Bay, who has directed all four Transformers films and most recently helmed Transformers: Age Of Extinction, is readying to next direct the Benghazi siege drama 13 Hours. He’d like to have something hammered out when he completes production so that the next Transformers pic can move forward quickly.

This is a major priority for new Motion Picture Group president Marc Evans, who’s tasked with getting more movies made. It marks an intriguing new step as studios put even more of a premium on the care and feeding of tentpole franchises.

James Cameron has come through a long incubation process with three Avatar sequels he’ll shoot back to back. He co-wrote Avatar 2 with Amanda Silver & Rick Jaffa, Avatar 3 with Josh Friedman, and Avatar 4 with Shane Salerno. All those writers spent seven months with Cameron in a writer’s room breaking down the beats of the trilogy. Cameron will shoot all three back to back at Peter Jackson’s WETA studios in Wellington, New Zealand (Jackson is the godfather of this multi-film-shoot movement, doing it with both The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies). Fox is investing a reported $900 million in those Avatar movies but one extended principal production period saves money, and News Corp hopes will drive the bottom line for years to come.

Disney has been ultra-aggressive since it bought Marvel, which has cranked out superhero films with regularity, and it has done the same since buying Lucasfilm. It created the infrastructure for three main Star Wars films — one with JJ Abrams directing and two with Looper helmer Rian Johnson. It also has spinoffs aplenty starting with Rogue One, the Gareth Edwards-directed film to star Felicity Jones and Ben Mendelsohn.

It’s not hard to see why Paramount covets more Transformers installments. The most recent, Transformers: Age Of Extinction, grossed nearly $1.1 billion, and became the top grossing release ever in China. And despite gross payouts that included Bay and the film’s star Mark Wahlberg, the film still generated $250 million in net profits to Paramount and was named Most Valuable Blockbuster in Deadline’s annual breakdown of top domestic grossing tentpole films.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:21 am

Paramount Hires ‘Fringe’ Writer To Turn ‘Transformers’ Into A Marvel-Like Cinematic Universe
MERRILL BARR wrote:It’s hard to say if there’s enough in the Transformers universe to warrant such expansion, but Latino-Review’s El Mayimbe offered this tidbit on Twitter when the news broke:
elmayimbe wrote:Here is a free tidbit, one of the TRANSFORMERS ideas they're spinning around has one of the films taking place all on CYBERTRON.

A Cybertron-set film could be cool, as it would take the franchise in a new direction it desperately needs to go. Then again, if the new writers room mandates every new film must contain Optimus Prime and other tired plot points, then all of this will have been pointless.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:16 am

Akiva Goldman signs on to drive future 'Transformers' movies writer's room
This sort of news is going to start to be the norm rather than unusual. "Star Wars," Marvel, the GhostCorps news, this, "Avatar"… it's all heading in this direction.
Moriarty wrote:Some days you're a step ahead, some days you're a step behind. I've been chasing this Akiva Goldsman/"Transformers" story for a few weeks, but couldn't second-source it. Now Deadline's reporting that the story is in fact happening.

One of the reasons I was extra-careful was because it is the sort of story that sounds like someone making a joke about the way the industry works right now. "Akiva Goldsman has been hired to supervise the development of three back-to-back 'Transformers' sequels for Michael Bay" is what I heard first, and my response was, "Shut up and stop making horrible jokes."

The thing is, this is the near-future of how they'll be handling these giant franchise films. You want to know the real truth of why the Russos are rapidly becoming Marvel's favorite filmmakers? Because they are trained to work in the TV model already, which is what blockbuster filmmaking is becoming.

That's the thing that I find most interesting as we watch this process continue to mutate. James Cameron's process on the "Avatar" sequels was positively inspired, not only because he realized he needed to have three separate writers working on three separate scripts, but because he made sure to reach out to include Josh Friedman, whose work on "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" was an interesting interpretation of mythology established by Cameron.

It doesn't surprise me at all to hear that Disney may be considering live-action TV options for "Star Wars" in addition to the feature films. Why not? They've got all of the machinery in place already. There's a brain trust already making decisions to will be felt across a wide array of media, and it's going to be much easier to simply tell another part of that story on television once they have a sense of the entire giant story that they're telling. If there is another "Star Trek" series, I'm going to guess that they will have to work in sync with the feature division to make sure that everyone's on the same page.

I've seen several jokes about the completely unnecessary nature of a writer's room for a "Transformers" film, but I'm curious to see what happens now. I've never gotten any sense that they've had a consistent story they've been telling from film to film, and the way they ended the last film was the first time it's ever looked like they were setting up actual story points for the future, which of course means it's time to reboot and make sure they don't follow up any of those ideas in any way.

I think it's great that they've got Akiva Goldsman and Michael Bay both attached to this same series. Think about it. It's "Transformers." It's not like someone just handed them Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series or "Stranger In A Strange Land" or something that actually matters. This is effectively a quarantine, which should have everyone else in the blockbuster business breathing a sigh of relief. I enjoy these films as surrealistic mayhem, but it's not like Goldsman is going to drag things down at all. The worst case scenario, they move sideways in quality. Who knows… if they put the right writer's room together, they may actually start telling fun stories.

This sort of news is going to start to be the norm rather than unusual. "Star Wars," Marvel, the GhostCorps news, this, "Avatar"… it's all heading in this direction.

There's no word yet on when they may wrestle the new "Transformers" up onscreen, but Michael Bay is getting ready to start "13 Hours," the real-life military thriller.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:49 pm

TRANSFORMERS 5 Expected in 2017; “Shared Universe” Plan Confirmed
“Our plan with the studio and filmmakers you may have heard some writers being hired and we have in fact brought in Akiva Goldsman to lead a group of writers to really create a strategic plan around Transformers. We think there are any number of stories to be told from the brand that has been around for 30 years with amazing canon and mythology. We would expect the sequel to the Transformers movie [TF4] to happen in 2017.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:32 am

Tom Cruise & Arnold Schwarzenegger Wow Exhibitors As Paramount Brings On The Star Power – CinemaCon
Pete Hammond wrote:He also promised the theater owners that Michael Bay was hard at work developing a fifth Transformers movie since the first four have made an astounding $3.7 worldwide, music to the ears of this crowd which is ALL about box office. But first Bay is directing Thirteen Hours, a war movie set around a daring rescue mission in Benghazi that is already set for release on Martin Luther King weekend next January. Bay’s also producing a sequel to last summer’s successful ($485 million worldwide) reboot of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle franchise, Ninja Turtles II, set for June 3, 2016.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 21, 2015 12:15 am

LOST, FRINGE, WALKING DEAD, HULK, X-MEN And IRON MAN Writers – Five In All – Are New Components Of Akiva Goldsman’s TRANSFORMERS Writers Room!!
I am – Hercules!! wrote:These five “Transformers” writers, all but one of whom have big-screen Marvel writing credits, are:

* Jeff Pinkner (“Alias,” “Lost,” “Fringe,” “Amazing Spider-Man 2”);

* Zak Penn (“Elektra,” “X-Men: The Last Stand,” “The Incredible Hulk”);

* Art Marcum & Matt Holloway (“Iron Man,” “Punisher: War Zone”); and

* Robert Kirkman (creator of the comic book on which “The Walking Dead” is based).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 am

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu May 21, 2015 12:06 pm

TheBaxter wrote:http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e17e5b5db1/transformers-ruin-your-favorite-movies-mashup

Nice
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 23, 2015 2:02 am

What the 'Transformers' writers room means about the new shape of Hollywood
THIS IS GOING TO BE A VERY STRANGE SERIES NO MATTER WHAT
Moriarty wrote:So that's what the Transformers writer's room is going to look like, eh?

While I don't tally the worth of a writer based on how many news stories they break, I will admit that I was deeply irritated when the story was first written about the notion of Akiva Goldsman spearheading a team of writers to develop "Transformers" sequels. I'd been tipped about it a few weeks earlier, and I was trying to get a second source I trusted, either at the studio or on the agency side of things. I pushed, and while I was sure the story was right, I couldn't run it. Excruciating. Part of my hesitance was that I didn't want to be wrong on a story like that because it's a threat more than anything. Goldsman and Bay breaking story together? Holy cow.

Now Deadline's got a list of names they say are the final hires, and it certainly sounds like they put an interesting group together. One thing that's important to remember is that whoever works on these movies is going to be keeping a pretty dense group of people happy above them. Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg, and Lorenzo di Bonaventura remain attached to the property, and Marc Evans, who recently took over as Motion Picture Group President for the studio, is looking to prove that he can not only manage but generate reliable hits. Paramount makes fewer big movies than any other studio, and it sounds like they're hoping to change that.

What we're witnessing right now is studio franchise filmmaking surrendering to a creative business model that is basically the opposite of how films used to work. Many of the things we love in pop culture started with one person sitting in a room in front of a blank piece of paper dreaming as hard as they possibly could. More and more, franchise films are turning to this idea of the creative committee. While I think the rise of great television storytelling has been part of the reason for this model taking hold, I honestly feel like Pixar is another reason people are turning to this idea. Their story process, starting with "Toy Story," was an impressive example of what happens when you put a lot of smart people on the same thing, pushing them to add value to each other's work with no sense of ego. James Cameron is reportedly very happy with the way things went on the "Avatar" sequels, and while Marvel certainly has different writers working on their individual movies, there is a creative group that everyone answers to and deals with on each of the films.

I am fascinated by the "Transformers" films because they represent a transition into this weird sort of uber-cinema, where it literally doesn't matter what happens in the movies as long as there's a lot of it. I've taken some heat for the grades I've given the different films, but I think getting upset about their terrible screenplays is missing the point entirely. They're not movies in any traditional sense. They are sensory assaults, these massive insane attacks of nonsensical character tics and special effects on a scale this is beyond absurd. The idea of trying to untangle the "continuity" of the films is laughable, and the end of the last film suggested a huge radical left turn for the series that I knew they'd never actually follow. It would involve leaving Earth and creating a series focused on nothing but giant robots and alien creatures.

Instead, it looks like Paramount will depend on Robert Kirkman, Art Marcum & Matt Holloway, Jeff Pinkner, and Zak Penn. Penn's working on "Pacific Rim 2" and the Steven Spielberg-directed "Ready Player One," and he's a workhorse when it comes to these types of films. Marcum & Holloway are going to get a big boost here. They're hard-working writers, and while they were credited on both "Iron Man" and last year's "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," they've also worked on a number of things still working their way through development, like "Highlander" and the "Alien Nation" remake. Jeff Pinkner is one of the "Lost" graduates, a co-writer on "The Amazing Spider-Man 2."

And then there's Robert Kirkman. He's the real odd man out in this scenario, and I'm curious to find out if he was a big Transformers fan as a kid. If so, I can see why he would want this job, but short of that, I don't get it. He's in charge of his own empire via "The Walking Dead" these days, and any time you step in to work with someone else's intellectual property (especially when it's something that can generate $1 billion per film worldwide), you're basically tap-dancing with a ball and chain on each ankle. You're working under so much supervision and so many restrictions and you're having to satisfy the marketing department, the toy manufacturers, and the fast-food partners in addition to the already-difficult task of crafting interesting stories about giant robots that turn into cars. I can see why someone like Dennis Lehane would work on "Travis McGee," because it would be a way of paying tribute to John D. MacDonald. In Kirkman's case, I really want to hear what it was that made him even get involved in this in the first place.

I don't envy any of them the task, but I'm certainly curious to see what a group like this comes up with. There's no date right now, but I'm sure Paramount is eager to get one up and running as quickly as they can. In the meantime, Michael Bay is set to make "13 Hours," the Benghazi film, and I'm looking forward to seeing a 55-minute set piece involving a recreation of the attack of the CIA station using CGI and slow-motion explosions.

In the meantime, let's see what this group comes up with.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 29, 2015 12:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:01 am

/film:
Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner Are Writing ‘Transformers 5′

IGN:
DAREDEVIL'S STEVEN DEKNIGHT ON THE TRANSFORMERS WRITERS ROOM AND PLANNING AHEAD
How the Transformers movies are taking a page from TV moving forward.
ERIC GOLDMAN wrote:
Steven S. DeKnight was at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today for a panel devoted to Netflix series showrunners, discussing his time working on Marvel’s Daredevil. While DeKnight has stepped down from that role for Season 2, thanks to prior commitments, he had some time before that next project – which DeKnight isn’t able to reveal details on yet – got going, which led to his recent stint in the Transformers writers room.

Taking a page from how a TV show is run, Paramount assembled a big group of experienced writers to help chart out the future of the Transformers film series, under the guidance of Akiva Goldsman, as the studio looks to build more of an expanded Transformers movie universe. I asked DeKnight what the experience was like taking that TV dynamic and using it in film, and he had an enthusiastic reply.

“It's that wonderful thing where features are now taking a page from television and getting people together to really try and plan things out. It was a wonderful experience. Akiva Goldsman was fantastic and Jeff Pinkner, who's co-writing the fifth [Transformers] movie with him was phenomenal. Zak Penn... It was just a room full of brilliant, funny, amazing people. And we spent two and a half weeks in physically the best writers room I've ever seen in my life. Paramount pulled out all the stops. It was phenomenal! We laughed and joked and told stories and plotted out...”
DeKnight had to keep his secrets about Transformers, noting, “I can't say what we plotted out, but it was all very exciting and in the next few months we'll see what moves forward and what doesn't move forward. But it was a fantastic experience. One of the best experiences of that was when Steven Spielberg popped by one afternoon to just sit and talk and hear what we were working on. Everybody was about to throw up, they were so excited.”

Regarding how this might change the Transformers films, DeKnight remarked, “It remains to be seen. I think the biggest thing something like that does when you're dealing with a franchise that is so global and makes so much money is actually taking a moment to really think things out. Because a lot of the times, you go into production, you don't have a finished script or your script is still being worked on. And it's very difficult to work that way. I can't imagine... Especially with the second movie, when the writers strike happened and Michael Bay had to start prepping anyway, I can't imagine trying to prep a movie of that size and complexity and not having a locked script. And it happens all the time in movies. You just have to start because of people's availabilities. So my hats off to Paramount for trying something new in this way and really giving this writers room thing a spin. But for me, it was a fantastic experience. I loved it.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Hasbro Confirms Transformers 5, 6, 7 And 8 Live Action Movies
In fact, the whole idea of having a Writers’ Room is to generate stories till 2025.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 31, 2016 5:09 pm

You’ll Never Guess Who The Villain Is In TRANSFORMERS 5
This shocking turn of events will rock the TRANSFORMERS fan community to its very core.
SCOTT WAMPLER wrote:A few weeks ago, we learned that Transformers 5 had been given a new title, Transformers: The Last Knight, and (as you might recall) writing that post filled me with a profound sense of sorrow. In the days that followed, I often found myself staring into the middle distance, absent-mindedly spinning a revolver on the desk in front of me as I downed glass after glass of bourbon. What could be done about these transforming robots and their talent for disguise? What even are movies? If you could drift across the face of oblivion itself, what would you feel? Anything at all?

In a shocking turn of events, it appears the villain of Transformers: The Last Knight will be Megatron, the villainous robot who appeared in basically every other Transformers movie. This is the only logical outcome when you gather together an entire team of writers to hash out an extended Transformers universe.

ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Barricade is back!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:34 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Bee is Back

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:36 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Transformers V

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 pm

‘The Last Knight’ Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura Reveals How a ‘Transformers’ Movie Is Made
The busy producer also talks about what’s different about this sequel, if they listen to the fans when making the films, and so much more.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:16 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Transformers V: The Last Jedi Knight

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:07 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Bumblebee: Live on the Sunset Strip

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:39 am

There’s an R-Rated, “Very Quentin” Idea for the ‘Transformers’ Bumblebee Movie We’ll Never See
The script is currently underway with a newly revealed screenwriter hard at work.
TheButcher wrote:Image

DEADLINE:
Travis Knight To Direct ‘Transformers’ Spinoff ‘Bumblebee’ At Paramount
Anita Busch wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Bumblebee, the first spinoff of the Transformers franchise based on a popular character in the series, just landed as director Travis Knight, the helmer of the Oscar-nominated stop-motion animated success Kubo And The Two Strings. That film was Knight’s directing debut. Bumblebee would mark his first live-action film.

This time, Knight will be taking on a very different project, a big-budget 2018 tentpole for the studio. The screenplay, which emerged from Transformers director and Paramount’s writers room project, is from Christina Hodson. Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg are producing with Hasbro’s Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis.

Knight, the son of Nike founder Phil Knight, is also president and CEO of Laika. Based out of Portland, the animation house was founded about 11 years ago and since then has created high-quality and beautifully created features including The Boxtrolls, ParaNorman and Coraline. Along with Kubo, Boxtrolls was also nominated for an Oscar.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:09 am

The Unanswered Question at the Heart of 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
[Warning: This story contains spoilers for Paramount's Transformers: The Last Knight.]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie Discussion