THE FANTASTIC FOUR (Now with Shitty)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Fantastic Four Reboot

Postby Chilli on Sat May 28, 2011 3:48 pm

I think that if you're going to really do "Fantastic Four" and you want it to be fun, you go period. And you go cosmic. You go Kirby and Lee. You go space monsters and mole men. You don't shrink away from it. And you find a filmmaker who is up to that task, and who appreciates HOW INCREDIBLY FUN that can be. Pop optimism. Lighter than air. Adventure. That's "Fantastic Four" in my book. That's what I'd love to see.

No, what you do is go hire the two best writers from Community and have them script it.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Re: Josh Trank's Fantastic Four Reboot?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Trank rolling toward 'Fantastic Four' - Fox keen on 'Chronicle' helmer for superhero reboot
Rachel Abrams & Jeff Sneider wrote:In a major sign of confidence in his upcoming supervillain pic "Chronicle," helmer Josh Trank has emerged as the frontrunner to direct 20th Century Fox's reboot of Marvel's "Fantastic Four" franchise.

Trank has had several meetings regarding the project, but with his debut feature still three weeks away, insiders tell Variety that Fox is expected to wait to see how "Chronicle" opens over Super Bowl weekend before extending an official offer. Studio is also awaiting the latest draft of the script by Michael Green ("Green Lantern").

That said, Fox is high on "Chronicle" and would like to keep Trank in business with the studio, which has displayed confidence in the pic, offering exclusive footage during the NFL's wild-card weekend after the pic's trailer generated massive traffic online.

Internally, studio execs expect Trank to land the coveted helming gig.

Akiva Goldsman was originally set to produce through his Weed Road banner, he's no longer involved.

Tim Story directed the first two "Fantastic Four" movies, which grossed $620 million worldwide combined.

20th Century Fox recently successfully rebooted its "X-Men" franchise with "X-Men: First Class," which found James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender taking over the roles of Professor X and Magneto from Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. In addition to a sequel to "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," the studio is developing a spin-off from that film that would focus on Ryan Reynolds' character Deadpool, as well as a new take on "Daredevil," originally portrayed by Ben Affleck.

Though Marvel owns and finances properties like "Iron Man" and "Thor," Fox controls "Fantastic Four" in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties "X-Men," "Daredevil" and "Silver Surfer." Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement.

Trank got his start writing and directing several episodes of Spike TV's miniseries "The Kill Point," and went on to serve as editor and co-producer of Robert Siegel's acclaimed indie "Big Fan." Max Landis wrote "Chronicle," which follows three teens who gain superpowers after making an incredible discovery, but soon find their lives spinning out of control as they embrace their darker sides.

Trank is repped by WME.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:56 am

From /film:
‘Chronicle’ Director Josh Trank Responds to ‘Fantastic Four’ Rumor: “I Know as Much as You Guys Know”

From SHH:
Chronicle Director Comments on the Fantastic Four Rumor
"I know as much as you guys know. I'm totally serious. I know as much as you," he said. "I saw that leak online and I was like, 'Um, okay, I'm trying to finish Chronicle right now.' This is weird. There's nothing to say, 'Chronicle' is exactly the kind of superhero movie that I wanted to make and, going forward, I want to have some original ideas and different things I'm working on."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 pm

From MTV:
'Chronicle' Director Josh Trank Is Perfect For 'Fantastic Four'
Josh Wigler wrote:"Chronicle" had an awesome weekend. That's good news. The found-footage superhero flick is one of the coolest movies to arrive in the admittedly brief 2012 season thus far (check out our "Chronicle" review for reasons why we loved the movie), and any and all success is more than deserved in our eyes.

But there's another reason why I'm pumped that "Chronicle" did so well at the box office this weekend: it further cements the argument that director Josh Trank is the right guy for the "Fantastic Four" reboot. He's already allegedly Fox's first choice for the franchise overhaul, and I'm convinced he's the right choice.

Money Money Money
The obvious one up front: "Chronicle" did business. The film's $22 million haul is almost double its $12 million production budget, so already it's a success when it comes to dollar-signs. Sure, "Fantastic Four" would be a considerably more expensive effort than "Chronicle," but Trank proved that he can do a lot with a little.

Reviews Reviews Reviews
Money aside, "Chronicle" delivered on quality as well. The movie currently boasts an 85% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes from critics and an 82% rating from audience members. People liked what they saw. Considering the dismal reactions to Fox's "Fantastic Four" (27%) and "Rise of the Silver Surfer" (37%), this franchise needs strong reviews, badly, if it hopes to stand another shot in the critical eye. Trank has only made one movie, sure, but that one movie hit big with the right people—the same people who would be lining up for Marvel's First Family's grand return.

Power Power Power
So, business and reviews aside, what makes Trank a fit for the Richards clan? For one, Trank gets power. "Chronicle" handled superpower discovery with an expert blend of imagination, joy and devastation, a wide array of emotions and responses seen in Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben's own original transformations. If the "Fantastic Four" reboot goes back to square one with an origin story — and I'm betting that's what we're in store for — then Trank has certainly proven his ability to tell an origin with chaotic creativity rarely seen in other superhero films.

Storm Storm Storm
Another reason why "Chronicle" works so well: the kids. Trank gets youth culture because he's a young guy himself—only 25 years old. That know-how would prove especially useful for Johnny Storm, the Four's literal hothead. Chris Evans as Torch is a tough act to follow, and it'll take the right combination of actor, writer and director to top him. Trank is more than qualified for one piece of that equation: his Human Torch would be an incredible character to watch.

Bad Bad Bad
Trank also knows how to craft a compelling villain. Credit where it's due: Max Landis wrote a great script and Dane DeHaan turned in an awesome performance. But Trank's pacing of Andrew's transformation from tortured nerd to destructive menace was spot-on, resulting in a villain who you'll root for in one moment and root against in the next. I imagine (and hope) the filmmaker's take on the Fantastic Four's latest nemesis would be a bit less angsty, but no less complicated. Plus, refer back to Trank's imaginative interpretation of superpowers: can you imagine him bringing the Skrulls to the screen? Because holy wow, that would really be fantastic.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:57 pm

From Screen Rant:
Feb 17, 2012
‘Chronicle’ director Josh Trank discusses the possibility of a ‘Chronicle 2′ before shooting down rumors that he’s attached to the ‘Fantastic Four’ reboot.
Ben Moore wrote:On whether the rumors of his involvement in the Fantastic Four reboot are true:

“I have not met about ‘Fantastic Four’ reboots. I was on the press tour and had to call everybody up and ask, what is this about? ‘Fantastic Four’ is at Fox, and I guess someone theorized about it, someone heard it, and ‘Variety’ was like, that’s happening! I can’t really speak on that, because I don’t know what to say.”
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue May 15, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 am

From Screenrant
May 13, 2012
‘Chronicle’ Director Talks Found-Footage Films & ‘Fantastic Four’ Reboot
John Hanlon wrote:Trank’s reported connection to the Fantastic Four reboot has been mentioned in numerous articles. I asked the director about such a connection but he was mum on the details:

“I can’t comment on any [of] my personal roles. I can’t comment on any project in development…No comment and just cool things to come.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 15, 2012 5:37 am

Quint chats with director Josh Trank about the technique and emotional hook of Chronicle! Plus he artfully dodges a Fantastic Four question!
Quint:
Well before I let you go, since we’re on the subject and Mr. Rothman confirmed that you are developing a FANTASTIC FOUR movie with Fox, I just wanted to touch on that if you don’t mind. I just saw THE AVENGERS and loved it, but it’s kind of sad to me that there hasn’t been a great FANTASTIC FOUR movie. There’s so much potential there and I’m hoping that your approach is going to be a little bit like what you and Max [Landis] did on CHRONICLE in really making us fall in love with the characters…

Josh Trank:
You know, I can’t really talk about anything, but what I will say is that I totally agree with you, that there needs to be a great Fantastic Four movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 pm

From Deadline:
Fox Insiders: No Galactus Talks With Marvel
MIKE FLEMING wrote:Reports that Fox and Marvel Studios are going to do some horse-trading with its Fantastic Four franchise to keep Daredevil in the fold were being strenuously denied by sources I’ve talked to. Deadline revealed during Comic-Con last month that Fox was facing a ticking clock over Daredevil rights, which will revert to Marvel’s new owners at Disney if the reboot doesn’t go into production soon. Those hopes dimmed when David Slade stepped out as director. The new report had Disney willing to extend the rights, but only if Fox lends it the right to use in its own films the villain Galactus, a major baddie from both the Fox-controlled Fantastic Four and The Silver Surfer. It doesn’t make sense. With Chronicle helmer Josh Trank aboard to direct, Fantastic Four is a big priority and the studio would be crazy to give away a cornerstone villain it could use now or down the line. Especially when the studio is very lukewarm about rebooting Daredevil, which focuses on blind lawyer Matt Murdock and his emergence as a crime fighter powered by heightened sensory perception. While Joe Carnahan has come to the studio with a take, it sounds like Fox is ready to let it revert to Disney-owned Marvel, unless Disney is interested in co-financing. That is what the current talks are really about.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:22 am

Mark Millar Given The “Joss Whedon Role” Over Fox’s Marvel Movies
Brendon Connelly wrote:Following Marvel’s lead in giving Joss Whedon on over-all consultancy role for their movie making endeavours, Fox have done the same with Mark Millar and their Marvel movies. At the moment this entails The Wolverine, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Fantastic Four, but it’s bound not to end there.

Here’s Millar’s statement:
As someone who has spent his entire life obsessed with both comic-books and movies, this is essentially my dream gig as it’s a unique combination of both.

I spent ten years working at Marvel and am really happy with the work I did on the comic side of things so the idea of working with these characters now in a brand new medium is enormously exciting for me. I really like the Fox team, love this bold new direction they have for their franchises and am proud to be working alongside some of modern cinema’s biggest talents.

James Mangold is incredible, Matthew Vaughn’s one of my closest pals and Josh Trank gave us, in my opinion, one of the greatest superhero movies of the last decade with Chronicle. The invitation to join this crew was maybe the coolest phone-call I’ve ever had.

Now we’ll never see Miracle Park, eh?

Note: that’s the first official word from Fox that Trank is in charge of The Fantastic Four.

You know, it does seem a bit unfortunate that Millar cohort Joe Carnahan saw his Daredevil film hit the wall at Fox recently.

It’s not clear if the plan is to work up inter-related elements and crossovers, as per the Avengers initiative, but the press release says:
Millar will work with Fox on developing new avenues for its X-Men and Fantastic Four tentpoles.

What will that mean? Slightly less obvious spin-offs, maybe, like a proper, stand-alone Silver Surfer film, or something New Mutants-y? Or maybe cartoons, film-universe comics, videogames… something properly ancillary. Time will tell, but I bet Millar starts dropping hints as soon as he can…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 pm

More Details on Mark Millar's Consultant Role at Fox
Spencer Perry wrote:A few weeks ago, it was announced that comic creator Mark Millar would be taking on the Chief Creative Consultant role for all of Fox's Marvel properties. Since then he's spoken about his role, but never in a detailed capacity. Last night, he was asked about the tentative plans and how he got the gig on the latest episode of The Empire Podcast. Here's a few of the quotes:
Mark MIllar wrote: "It came about for a couple of reasons. One of my friends Joe Carnahan was saying to them (FOX) Mark was involved with Marvel for years and a lot of the stuff that was used in The Avengers movie, the source material was a book I'd done called The Ultimates. He said, look Mark could be a really good resource for you and the guys at Fox had read The Ultimates and they said if he can bring that same sort of thing to the Fox lane of Marvel characters that could be really beneficial.
"So Fox are thinking, 'We're sitting on some really awesome things here. There is another side of the Marvel Universe. Let's try and get some cohesiveness going.' So they brought me in to oversee that really. To work with the writers and directors to suggest new ways we could take this stuff and new properties that could spin out of it because the X-Men alone feels like a universe of itself. There's so many characters in there and so many great potential spin-off characters.

"They asked me to come in and work out a plan. So unfortunately at this point I can't get too specific. I do have a three to four year plan of where things could go, but you know, I'll be working with guys like Matthew and Josh Trank, who's the new director on Fantastic Four, and just figuring out how everything can work together and not contradict each other. But I also don't want to make it too much of a mess either, with everyone showing up in everyone else's films.

"What my dream is, as a fan, is that when you go and see any Marvel movie that it feels as if they're all taking place in the one universe like when you pick up a Marvel comic. You should feel as if they're all taking place in one big kind of cohesive place."

The Empire Podcast #36 Is Here! - Mark Millar and the writers of Skyfall
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 am

From THR 7/13/2012:
'Fantastic Four' Reboot Ramps Up with Writer Jeremy Slater (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:The move happens days after the studio put "Chronicle" director Josh Trank on the comic book movie project.

Fox is really hustling with its Fantastic Four reboot.

Just days after putting Chronicle director Josh Trank on the project, the studio is finalizing a deal to have Jeremy Slater write the script.

Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Fantastic Four is the comic title that ushered in the so-called Marvel Age of Comics and features a “family” of heroes -- scientist Mr. Fantastic, his wife Invisible Girl, her brother the Human Torch and Fantastic’s best friend, The Thing -- who have sci-fi-tinged adventures.

Fox made two movies with a cast that included Chris Evans and Jessica Alba in 2005 and 2007, but despite doing solid business, they were not well regarded by the geek community.

Hiring Trank and now Slater, who are steeped in the genre world, indicates that Fox is hoping to capture the geeks’ hearts this time around.

Slater is an up-and-coming writer who has the horror spec Tape 4, centering around the mythology of writer H.P. Lovecraft, set up at Lionsgate with Primal Pictures producing.

He also wrote My Spy, a teen spy comedy spec that initially was set up at CBS Films but this week jumped to Universal with Jake Kasdan attached to direct and Lorenzo di Bonaventura producing.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Millar's Fantastic Four Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Mark Millar: "Guys with death rays robbing banks - it's a world I'm really comfortable with"
Steven MacKenzie wrote:You’re also a creative consultant for 20th Century Fox. What's the job description for that?

I guess it's a kind of godfather position really. I'm overseeing all their superhero movies, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Wolverine and the movies that are related to them. It's quite a thing. Doing one movie is a big responsibility, but if you're suddenly doing six of them you're talking over a billion dollars of investment.

Reboot seems to be the word of the moment. Are there cultural reasons behind that or is it just an excuse to tell a good story over again?

I think it's actually something they try and avoid to tell you the truth. They're talking of doing a Fantastic Four reboot here at Fox with the guy who did Chronicle. That’s one I could get behind because I feel those first two Fantastic Four movies just weren’t that good.

Where did they go wrong? All the ingredients were there.

You're right in the sense that the movies actually made money – they made $400 million – but I think the fans would like to see it done a little bit differently. There were some unusual choices made in that film. It's still not clear entirely what the plan is, but I do think that Fantastic Four wasn’t as good as Spider-Man or The Dark Knight so if it’s rebooted, it will be for good reasons.

Inevitably when they reboot Batman again they’ll make it more like the 1960s TV show.

He's still my favourite Batman. Adam West to me is Batman. Christian Bale's a beefy impersonator. All these reboots seemed to happen about 10 years ago, you had Bond rebooted you had Batman rebooted. The ‘90s was all about retro, it was all about looking back on the previous 100 years and doing amalgamations of stuff. Oasis were the ultimate music example of that and Tarantino was the cinematic version. There was a fresh start feeling at the start of the decade and we're just continuing that now.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 am

Mark Millar Q&A: why an overhaul of the superhero genre was long overdue

Liat Clark wrote:Do you think studios are taking more risks as a result?

Definitely. Even a couple of years ago they wouldn't have let me across the door, so this is a paradigm shift and I think it's very interesting. If you look at Chronicle, they took its director Josh Trank and gave him Fantastic Four, and they looked at my stuff and now I'm doing a couple movies with Fox. They rang up and said we feel there's this new energy and we want it. They hadn't always had a huge success with Dare Devil and Fantastic Four, and X-Men was generally very good but some of the movies were uneven. And they wanted a more modern sensibility. I think that's the way it always works -- back in the early 90s they were hiring lots of Hong Kong directors, after John Woo they thought that's what we do now and I think after Kick-Ass and after Chronicle they're bringing in us guys to reach out to the superhero franchise.

They know I can do four quadrant family friendly stuff as well as the hardcore stuff. Something like Fantastic Four could lend itself to some more hardcore stuff. You've got to make it modern and resonate but you've also got to do something an eight-year-old can watch.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:52 am

Fantastic Four reboot is “like nothing you’ve seen before”
Fox superhero guru Mark Millar talks Josh Trank’s “funny and likeable” Fantastic Four reboot
James Hoare wrote:The last Fantastic Four movie, 2007′s Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer, may have crashed and burned in both the hearts of comic-book fans, and in the tills of box office bean counters, but there’s a sense of cautious optimism surrounding Chronicle director Josh Trank’s reboot, set for release 6 March 2015.

Trank may seem like a wildcard choice to us, but to Fox’s Marvel superhero overseer Mark Millar, this rising indie talent is the perfect fit for the superteam that built Marvel Comics.

“From what I’ve seen and from talking to him – he and I have had dinner a couple of times and we talk quite regularly as well – he’s contemporarising it,” said Millar, talking exclusively to SciFiNow. “I think he’s just making it work for the screen – he’s a great storyteller.

“Chronicle, if you think about it, was similar to Fantastic Four in that it was a bunch of people who were transformed into something more than human – that turned out almost his calling card to come and do something like Fantastic Four.

“What I wasn’t expecting actually was just how funny and likeable he could make this as well as getting the more awesome moments on screen – I use awesome in the traditional British sense and not the California sense awesome, you know? The Ridley Scott moments, and the Fantastic Four really are jaw-dropping in the same way you feel when you saw Alien for the first time. There’s some moments in this – not to be specific – that are actually gonna be phenomenal on screen and stuff you haven’t seen in a superhero movie before.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 am

TheButcher wrote:Fantastic Four reboot is “like nothing you’ve seen before”
Fox superhero guru Mark Millar talks Josh Trank’s “funny and likeable” Fantastic Four reboot
James Hoare wrote:...and stuff you haven’t seen in a superhero movie before.”

Bull.Shit.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen bullshit before
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Millar should know by now that his hype is worth nothing. That doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong but, like most things, my interest in the new Fantastic Four project would be greatly improved by Mark Millar shutting up.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Mark Millar
Just off the phone with Fox and some excellent news - Matthew Vaughn is producing Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot!

Matthew Vaughn Boards Fox’s ‘Fantastic Four’ Reboot
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
X-Men: First Class‘s Matthew Vaughn has come aboard as producer on Fox’s Fantastic Four reboot. Chronicle‘s Josh Trank is directing from a script by Jeremy Slater. It’s set for a March 6, 2015 release.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 pm

What Does It Mean That Matthew Vaughn Is Producing The Fantastic Four Reboot?
Brendon Connelly wrote:Is the Fox Marvelverse already splitting into two?

Mark Millar tonight tweeted:
Just off the phone with Fox and some excellent news – Matthew Vaughn is producing Josh Trank’s Fantastic Four reboot!

Vaughn and Millar are, as I’m sure you’re aware, friends and collaborators. It’s not a huge surprise to see Vaughn getting involved here.

But… meanwhile…

Bryan Singer was speaking to IGN when he was asked about “plans for a Disney/Marvel movies approach to the X-Men franchise?”
It’s just something we’re thinking about. Really my big focus was this movie. Because it’s really massive, and we’re going to start shooting soon. But we’re talking, [producer] Lauren Shuler Donner and I, and we’ll see.

Note that he’s talking with Shuler Donner, and there’s no mention of Mark Millar.

Now, it’s ridiculous but my own conversation with Singer is held under embargo right now and I can’t tell you what he said to me. But when I can, I will. And it directly addresses Mark Millar’s role in creating a Fox Marvelverse.

And it’s very interesting.

For now, just take the above two incidents as separate but fascinating facets of what the studio have planned. And expect some good things too – again, can’t say too much right now, but they’ve got some great stuff coming.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 am

From Motion Captured:
Matthew Vaughn set to produce 'Fantastic Four' reboot at Fox
Is this part of a move by him and Mark Millar to connect all of Fox's Marvel movies?
Moriarty wrote:Mark Millar and Matthew Vaughn are slowly, surely building a shared filmography that is absolutely positively comic book crazy, and it looks like little by little, they're taking over 20th Century Fox's entire superhero agenda.

When I first talked to Vaughn about Millar's work in the days leading up to his decision to option the rights to "Kick-Ass," it was obvious that Vaughn responded to Millar's storytelling on an almost chemical level. It's not just which stories Millar was telling, but his voice. Vaughn loves to throw a shot to the ribs of propriety whenever he can, and in Millar, he seems to have found a fellow provocateur.

What I respect about Vaughn is the way he's built a very loyal crew that works for him not only when he's directing but also when he's producing. When I was on the set for "Kick-Ass 2," it may have been a Jeff Wadlow film, but I saw the same familiar faces in many of the key technical positions that I've seen on "Stardust" and "Kick-Ass" and "X-Men: First Class." His collaboration with Jane Goldman has been incredibly important to the overall voice of his films, and I would imagine Jane will be part of everything moving forward as long as Hollywood doesn't finally figure out that she's awesome and work her so hard that she's no longer got time to be part of each of Matthew's movies.

And now, with Mark Millar, Vaughn seems to be teaming up on more and more things, and in particular, he's in the mix as Millar spearheads an effort to turn Fox's superhero films into some sort of shared world, or at least a unified approach. "Kick-Ass 2" is coming later this year, and one of the reasons that Vaughn decided against directing the upcoming "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" is because he and Millar are worried that someone's going to make something that might ruin their ability to shoot "Secret Service." They want to get started on that sooner rather than later, and last I heard, that was Vaughn's first priority as a director.

He's still involved as a producer on "X-Men: Days Of Future Past," and now it looks like he's also going to be producing "Fantastic Four," which Josh Trank will be directing. Trank directing "Chronicle," which I think nicely established what sensibility he'll be bringing to the Marvel universe, and Jeremy Slater is set to write the film. You may not be familiar with Slater yet, but his script "Man Of Tomorrow" was about as strong a qualification as anyone could have offered for this particular job, and I know that Slater is a rabid Fantastic Four fan. He loves these characters, and it sounds to me like there's a very strong creative team in place.

With Vaughn and Millar both taking larger and larger roles in Fox's overall superhero plan, it sounds like they're going to be a major part of figuring out how to create an overlapping reality that not only encompasses all of the Marvel properties that Fox owns, but that leaves room for what has become the holy grail for all of the studios in town right now, figuring out a way to cross their properties over into the world of "The Avengers." I would love to be in a room and hear the discussions about how Sony and Fox and anyone else holding a Marvel character plan to make the most of that in the very near future.

For now, though, Fox just wants to make sure that the things they still own all work, and that audiences genuinely want to see as ongoing series. Sure, they managed to make two "Fantastic Four" films, but they both felt like contractual obligations, without a hint of the wit or the life that are certainly possible with the characters. It seems to me that "Fantastic Four" should be an even bigger, poppier, right down the middle mainstream entertainment than the "Spider-Man" films. I have always felt like "Fantastic Four" should be fun, and I didn't think the two films that Tim Story made were fun in any way.

Finding a way to make a "Fantastic Four" that sets its own tone and somehow also will manage to connect to the world that Bryan Singer's "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" sounds like it is creating won't be easy, and I doubt it'll be that direct. I can't imagine they're going to spend a lot of energy making the connections explicit right off the bat. What it sounds like they're doing is making sure there is an overall integrity and reality that will sign these as Fox's movies, and Vaughn is part of that creative team that's going to be defining what that means.

Right now, "Fantastic Four" is set for release on March 6, 2015, and I think it's going to be one of the most interesting of the superhero films currently in development. I am positively desperate to see the first image of the team, of the Thing, of the world itself, because I have faith we're going to see something new, and I hope worth the wait.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 am

Seth Grahame-Smith Polishes 'Fantastic Four' Reboot (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Author and screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith has done polish screenwriting work on Fox’s reboot of Fantastic Four, which Josh Trank is directing.

Sources say that the new reboot is taking a grounded superhero and sci-fi approach to the heroes and will tap deep into the comics mythology, which featured not just the better-known villains such as Doctor Doom and Galactus but also alien races the Kree and the Skrull, and the anti-matter universe known as the Negative Zone.

Grahame-Smith is the best-selling author behind Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, the latter of which was adapted by Fox last year. The multi-medium maven penned the script for the movie as well as the script for Dark Shadows, Tim Burton's take on the 1970s vampire soap opera.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:44 am

‘Fantastic Four’ Starts Pre-Production in Vancouver
Philip Sticco wrote:Chronicle director Josh Trank is prepping to reboot The Fantastic Four, and pre-production has started in Vancouver.

Here’s the tweet from @lemon_buzz:

“The Fantastic Four reboot has arrived. Starting pre-production for a September 2013 start in Vancouver. #yvrshoots”

What did you think of the first FF films? There were good and bad things in each and overall I didn’t hate them, but they did seem like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Hopefully, with Mark Millar serving as creative consultant on this and X-Men: Days of Future Past there will be some crossover and Fox can start it’s own branch of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

So, who do you to see in the four main roles?

SOURCE: Twitter
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: HENRY STREET Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:27 pm

FANTASTIC FOUR Reboot To Start Filming In June!
Filming details have surfaced for Fox's 2015 big-screen reboot of Marvel's First Family, The Fantastic Four, revealing the production's working title and principal photography's surprising start date.
Production Weekly @prodweek

Fox's reboot of FANTASTIC FOUR working title HENRY STREET is scheduled to begin filming in Vancouver on June 17th.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:22 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Will 'Chronicle' Star Michael B. Jordan Be Human Torch in 'Fantastic Four'? (Exclusive)
Director Josh Trank is considering casting his "Chronicle" star in Fox's reboot of the superhero franchise
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:19 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Uhh... hooray?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:21 am

Ribbons wrote:Uhh... hooray?

Hip Hop HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!
Simon Kinberg Tapped to Write 'Fantastic Four' (Exclusive)
The "X-Men: Days of Future Past" co-scribe will also act as a producer on the reboot.
Simon Kinberg is checking into the Baxter Building.

Kinberg is coming on board to write Fox’s Fantastic Four reboot. He will also be a producer on the project, joining Matthew Vaughn, his X-Men: First Class colleague.Kinberg is coming on board to write Fox’s Fantastic Four reboot. He will also be a producer on the project, joining Matthew Vaughn, his X-Men: First Class colleague.

Josh Trank remains on board to direct the movie, which centers on the heroes whose Marvel comics kicked off in 1961. Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Fantastic Four features a “family” of heroes -- scientist Mr. Fantastic; his wife, Invisible Girl; her brother, the Human Torch; and Fantastic’s best friend, the Thing -- who have sci-fi-tinged adventures while headquartered in the Baxter Building, a high-rise in New York City.

Fox has been working on a reboot for quite some time, with Jeremy Slater, Michael Green, Seth Grahame-Smith and T.S. Nowlin all having worked on versions.

Sources say Kinberg may be overhauling the script substantially.

Kinberg is no stranger to the Marvel universe. He worked on X-Men: Last Stand and produced the aforementioned X-Men: First Class and is working with Vaughn as co-writer and producer of Fox’s latest X-Men installment, next summer’s X-Men: Days of Future Past.

He is repped by CAA and Jackoway Tyerman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Fox Narrowing The ‘Fantastic Four’ Field
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:20th Century Fox is gathering steam on the reboot of Marvel’s Fantastic Four that will be helmed by Chronicle director Josh Trank. It has long been rumored that Fruitvale Station‘s Michael B. Jordan is likely to play the flammable Johnny “Human Torch” Storm, and the names I’m hearing for the flexible genius Reed Richards are Jack O’Connell (he’s playing Lou Zamperini in Angelina Jolie-directed Unbroken), Divergent‘s Miles Teller, and Game Of Thrones‘ Kit Harington. For the role of Sue Storm, the names are The Host’s Saoirse Ronan, 127 Hours‘ Kate Mara and The Wolf Of Wall Street‘s Margot Robbie. No decisions have been made yet, per the studio. Simon Kinberg is doing a rewrite. Stay tuned.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:52 am

‘Fantastic Four’: Actors and Actresses Lining Up for Roles
Kit Harington and Saoirse Ronan among thesps expected to test for Reed Richards and Sue Storm
Justin Kroll wrote:With Simon Kinberg brought on to do a polish on the script, Fox is now preparing to test a handful of thesps for the roles of Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, and Sue Storm, aka the Invisible Girl, in the upcoming “Fantastic Four” reboot.

Sources tell Variety that Kit Harington, Jack O’Connell and Miles Teller are in line to get test offers to read for the role of Richards while Saoirse Ronan, Kate Mara and Margot Robbie (sources now saying Robbie will not be testing) are being tested for Storm. Michael B. Jordan is the only actor currently being mentioned as a possibility to play Johnny Storm, aka the Human Torch, but that could change.

“Chronicle” helmer Josh Trank is on board to direct, hoping to do for “Fantastic Four” what Fox recently did with the “X-Men” franchise — reinvigorate the series with a group of younger, rising stars and build the films around them.

The studio still needs a script before giving an official greenlight, but Kinberg is not expected to do a full rewrite, giving the studio time to begin working out test offers and check on availabilities of the thesps to make sure they can make the dates.

O’Connell is the one whose schedule may cause a conflict, since he is about to go into production on “Unbroken,” the Angelina Jolie-helmed biopic whose lensing may overlap with “The Fantastic Four” production, which Fox would like to get going in the first quarter of 2014.

No names have yet been mentioned for the role of the villain or Ben Grimm, aka the Thing. Kinberg, Gregory Goodman and Matthew Vaughn are producing the pic.

Terry Crews Wants to Play The Thing in Fantastic Four
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Samira Wiley Responds to Sue Storm Fantastic Four Casting Rumor
Samira Wiley isn't admitting that she is up for the role of Sue Storm. She did address the rumors, though, and seems excited by the idea.

"I saw the articles on the Internet with my name being thrown in the mix and I'm super surprise, honored and excited about it. Just having my name be there and the possibility of that would be amazing. It's nice to have my name in that mix with all those wonderful actress."

When asked if there was any truth to the rumors, the actress played coy. She then admitted that she hadn't tested yet, but again, we know that she could very well be telling a bold faced lie.

"No, not as of yet but hopefully we can see what's going on with that. It would be amazing and the fact that we are talking about it shows how far we have come. That I can even dream about being an African American actress in 2013 and what the possibilities are and thankful to everyone that has come before me."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Fox Shifts 'Fantastic Four' Reboot to Summer 2015, Dates Paul Feig's 'Susan Cooper'
Matthew Vaughn's "Secret Service" and video game adaptation "Assassin's Creed" have also been pushed to later dates.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Michael B. Jordan Again Addresses STAR WARS EPISODE VII And THE FANTASTIC FOUR Rumors

'X-Men' Writer-Producer Simon Kinberg Re-Ups at Fox (Exclusive)
The deal will allow Kinberg, who is producing the "X-Men" and "Fantastic Four" movies, to try to create Marvel-style movie universes.
Borys Kit wrote:Kinberg is heavily involved with next summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past and the studio's upcoming Fantastic Four reboot as both writer and producer. The new deal will allow him to expand those franchises into full-blown universes, with the hope of creating for Fox something akin to the Marvel model of interlocking movies.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:18 pm

SHH:
Spencer Perry wrote:Update: Mark Millar has clarified on Twitter that he's still working for Fox, saying:
"Don't worry. Simon RE-UPPED his deal. We've all been working together for the past 15 months"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:27 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:19 pm

:roll:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:38 pm

why the eyeroll, Ribbons?

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:01 am

Because maybe with a billion other quality stories within each property's existing universe available for adaptation, or even creating an original story with existing (and available) characters, choosing something like this to throw on the big screen is just fucking stupid and frivolous and a sign that the genre may be jumping the shark*?

*And by the genre I mean beyond what Disney/Marvel is doing. I doubt it will have any impact on the success or failure of the actual Disney/Marvel-verse as they actually have a working plan in place as opposed to the said geniuses at FOX who seem to make it up as they go along and then change their minds every 5 minutes to an even more "brilliant" idea.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:32 am

They're also gonna throw an Alien and a Predator in there just for good measure, right?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Between this, Sony's Sinister Six project, the Netflix/Defenders deal, and of course DC's Man of Steel vs. The Dark Knight featuring Wonder Woman and the Superfriends, I think it's fair to say that superhero crossovers (unheard of even a year ago) are in serious danger of jumping the shark.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:56 pm

i heard they're making up a completely new superhero for these films. i think they're planning on calling him the Kitchen Sink.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:11 am

Seems to me the studios are just doing what the comics have been doing for the last 30 years, then. How many different versions are there of the Hulk, for instance? How many different alternate universes? The studios aren't doing anything that the comics themselves have done repeatedly over the years, reboots, remixes, etc, but for some reason comic geeks are ok with it as long as it is in print and not on screen

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:13 am

If a studio had made Civil War the geeks would have lost their minds, but the comics do it and it is a masterpiece

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:24 am

‘Fantastic Four’ Script In, Actors to Test by End of Month
Miles Teller, Kit Harrington and Kate Mara among those testing
Justin Kroll wrote:It looks like Fox’s reboot of “The Fantastic Four” is getting closer to finalizing its cast.

Sources tell Variety that Simon Kinberg has finished rewriting the script and that the studio plans to begin testing thesps for the roles of Reed Richards (aka Mister Fantastic) and Sue Storm (aka the Invisible Woman) by the end of the month.

Teller was asked Tuesday in an interview at Sundance if he would be playing Richards. He replied that, “Yeah that should be happening in the next few weeks,” making it seem like the actor was already on board. But sources say the actor was misunderstood and that he is testing but isn’t the frontrunner or officially attached. Other actors expected to test for the part include “Game of Thrones’” Kit Harington and Richard Madden.

Kate Mara and Saoirse Ronan are expected to test for Sue Storm. Michael B. Jordan is attached to play Johnny Storm, but he is expected to test with the actors to see which group has the best chemistry.

Josh Trank is on board to direct the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

“The Fantastic Four” is slated to bow June 19, 2015.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:32 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion