Awards Season 2009/2010/2011

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Awards Season 2009/2010

Postby Vegeta on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Marksman230591 wrote:
Bloo wrote:what awards do we have left?

Tony's and MTV?

In my mind, the awards season ends with the oscars. After Twilight won most of the awards in the MTVMAs last year, I lost all credibility in that show. And Tonys? Yeah... Don't care about those either.

I guess we can finally wrap this thread up and start the Awards Season 2010/2011 one around December or so.

"MTVMAs" and "credibilty" have and should never be in the same sentence beyond, "The MTVMAs have no credibilty".
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Marksman230591 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:50 am

Vegeta wrote:
Marksman230591 wrote:
Bloo wrote:what awards do we have left?

Tony's and MTV?

In my mind, the awards season ends with the oscars. After Twilight won most of the awards in the MTVMAs last year, I lost all credibility in that show. And Tonys? Yeah... Don't care about those either.

I guess we can finally wrap this thread up and start the Awards Season 2010/2011 one around December or so.

"MTVMAs" and "credibilty" have and should never be in the same sentence beyond, "The MTVMAs have no credibilty".

I don't think it was always like that, though. For example, all 3 LotR films consecutively won for best picture, which I thought were the right choices for their respective years. And check out the other winners, especially in the early years: Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction, The Matrix... See, those were all good choices. It was after the LotR years, when Napoleon Dynamite won for Best Picture, when I started to seriously doubt their choices, and that the show had become just as bad and aimed at dumb tweens and douchebags like the the whole channel had become. And with Twilight, the last nail was hit on the head.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:08 am

The MTV Movie Awards retired their Lifetime Achievement Award after they gave it to Clint Howard and watched his genuine and heartfelt acceptance speech. I believe Chewbacca got it the year before.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 am

Been thinking about the way the Oscars pretty much took a giant shit all over James Cameron and, in hindsight,
that excruciatingly lame bit with Ben Stiller now appears to be more than just an incredibly pathetic routine that bombed -
it comes across as the Academy giving Cameron, the guy who has produced the two biggest box office hits in history,
ye olde digitus impudicus.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:57 pm

The Vicar wrote:Been thinking about the way the Oscars pretty much took a giant shit all over James Cameron and, in hindsight,
that excruciatingly lame bit with Ben Stiller now appears to be more than just an incredibly pathetic routine that bombed -
it comes across as the Academy giving Cameron, the guy who has produced the two biggest box office hits in history,

There are many people in the world who resent the success of others. Cameron has had success beyond anyone else in movie history. Not only are Avatar and Titanic the highest grossing movies, but they're the highest grossing movies BY A MILE! No other movie even comes close (in non-adjusted dollars, at least - you can make your arguments for Gone With The Wind). And Cameron is still tripping over all the Oscars he got for Titanic, and therefore the Academy thought he was just running up the score with Avatar, like a football team trouncing the opposition 50-0. People got angry with him for not giving other, smaller, movies a chance, so they sided with the little guy, who happened to be named Hurt Locker.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby so sorry on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:14 pm

minstrel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Been thinking about the way the Oscars pretty much took a giant shit all over James Cameron and, in hindsight,

There are many people in the world who resent the success of others. Cameron has had success beyond anyone else in movie history. Not only are Avatar and Titanic the highest grossing movies, but they're the highest grossing movies BY A MILE! No other movie even comes close (in non-adjusted dollars, at least - you can make your arguments for Gone With The Wind). And Cameron is still tripping over all the Oscars he got for Titanic, and therefore the Academy thought he was just running up the score with Avatar, like a football team trouncing the opposition 50-0. People got angry with him for not giving other, smaller, movies a chance, so they sided with the little guy, who happened to be named Hurt Locker.

Well that's quite a cynical point of view. Perhaps the Academy decided that it simply wasn't a good enough movie. Just because it made shit-tons of money doesn't make it Best Picture quality, does it?
So which would you prefer: big budget movies getting the lion's share of awards (deservedly or not), or little indie movies that nobody has seen winning everything?

Perhaps the academy needs a BCS-type computer model to take out any human thought, eh? :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:51 pm

so sorry wrote:Well that's quite a cynical point of view. Perhaps the Academy decided that it simply wasn't a good enough movie. Just because it made shit-tons of money doesn't make it Best Picture quality, does it?
So which would you prefer: big budget movies getting the lion's share of awards (deservedly or not), or little indie movies that nobody has seen winning everything?

Perhaps the academy needs a BCS-type computer model to take out any human thought, eh? :wink:

Sorry, so sorry! I'm a bit bitter because I thought Avatar is WAAAY better than Hurt Locker. I don't care if the story is predictable; it AMAZED me! Hurt Locker was a pain in the ass to even sit through. I thought Cameron was robbed.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Marksman230591 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:03 am

I think they didn't elect Avatar mainly because it really didn't have a story that offered something new to the table. In the end, it's really all in its execution what made it so loved by people. No, not just the visual effects, the actors did a good job too. Believe me, if everyone gave a mediocre performance, it just wouldn't have been as good, and because its characters weren't actually dislikable and were actually good enough to cheer for, and because it didn't have stupid plotholes and stuff that insulted the audience's intelligence. One could also say the same thing about The Hurt Locker, though, in that its story wasn't anything ground-breaking either but had well-developed and well-acted characters and quite a bit of very well-directed scenes. In the end, both films' merits don't really lie on their stories, and more on their execution and how their simple stories were told. So why did they pick THL? Especially when films like Inglourious Basterds had such a better script? I think there were many reasons, and which were really somewhat unfair ones too. For starters, like it was said, people wanted to give it to the little man, so that they could show the world that they think that a big budget isn't necessary to make a film good (but hey, it's been shown that both small-budget and big-budget films can be god-awful, regardless of how much success they have at the B.O, which makes it a pretty stupid reason, IMO). Also, it was the perfect opportunity to give the award to a female director for the first time. And also because its topic (The many conflicts happening in the Middle-East and the U.S involvement there and everything) is very politically relevant these days. But in the end, those reasons don't have really anything to do with the quality of the film. I liked THL just fine, but honestly, I think most of the Academy voted for it out of sympathy, not really because it was actually that well-done, but that's just what I think, of course.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Marksman230591 wrote:I think they didn't elect Avatar mainly because it really didn't have a story that offered something new to the table. In the end, it's really all in its execution what made it so loved by people. No, not just the visual effects, the actors did a good job too. Believe me, if everyone gave a mediocre performance, it just wouldn't have been as good, and because its characters weren't actually dislikable and were actually good enough to cheer for, and because it didn't have stupid plotholes and stuff that insulted the audience's intelligence. One could also say the same thing about The Hurt Locker, though, in that its story wasn't anything ground-breaking either but had well-developed and well-acted characters and quite a bit of very well-directed scenes. In the end, both films' merits don't really lie on their stories, and more on their execution and how their simple stories were told. So why did they pick THL? Especially when films like Inglourious Basterds had such a better script? I think there were many reasons, and which were really somewhat unfair ones too. For starters, like it was said, people wanted to give it to the little man, so that they could show the world that they think that a big budget isn't necessary to make a film good (but hey, it's been shown that both small-budget and big-budget films can be god-awful, regardless of how much success they have at the B.O, which makes it a pretty stupid reason, IMO). Also, it was the perfect opportunity to give the award to a female director for the first time. And also because its topic (The many conflicts happening in the Middle-East and the U.S involvement there and everything) is very politically relevant these days. But in the end, those reasons don't have really anything to do with the quality of the film. I liked THL just fine, but honestly, I think most of the Academy voted for it out of sympathy, not really because it was actually that well-done, but that's just what I think, of course.

Nice post. For me, it just wasn't a great year for cinema.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 pm

THIS..... IS A DAY OR RECKONING!!!! A DAY OF DOOM FOR THE ZONE!!! THE BEGINNING OF THE END ... OF PACINO, RIBBONS, MOO, JL.. ALL THE OTHER MODS AND ZONERS, SPARING NICK WHO WILL BE MY PET, AS THIS IS THE DAY IN ACCEPTING THE AWARD FOR WALTER AND THE TIGERS...

The 33rd International Wildlife Film Festival Proudly Presents

Honorable Mention for Advocacy
To
Cpt Kirks 2pay
2pay or not 2gay Productions
For

Walter and the Tigers

In the 'Point of View' film category, I might add.

... WHERE MY TRUE POWER AND PLAN TO END THE ZONE WILL BEGIN!!!!!!!! I'M NOT THANKING THE ZONERS FOR HELPING ME GET THIS AWARD, FARK THEM, THEY SHOULD BE THANKING ME FOR EITHER LETTING THEM LIVE OR GIVING THEM A QUICK DEATH OR SIMPLY FOR DISPOSING OF PACINO AND CO.!!!!!!! THIS IS THE DAY NOT JUST WHERE MY FAITH IN AWARDS SHOWS ARE RESTORED AS THEY RECOGNISE DESERVING POWER AND DESTRUCTION BRINGING AWESOMENESS WHEN THEY SEE IT, BUT THIS IS THE DAY.. THE DAY...... THE DAAAAAAYYYYYY - OF THE 2PAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW RUN AWAY MODS BEFORE I CHARGE YOU $238.239 A MONTH TO POST HERE JUST LIKE I WILL ALL THE OTHER SURVIVING ZONERS WHO JUST MIGHT RECIEVE MY MERCY!!!!!!

OUTSIDE OF MY BEDROOM THAT IS!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Now that the winner of the above post has reinstated my faith in Awards, can someone tell me WHAT exactly happened to The Soloist?

That typical godawful award-bait looking movie starring Robert Downey Jr and Jamie Foxx? I remember when I saw adverts for it, it looked so much like it was deliberately made to win an Oscar. Anyone? Was it shit then?
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Al Shut on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 pm

First time I hear of it

you sure you weren't dreaming?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Ahem. The SOLOist? Never heard of the Soloist? A non post edited movie that was advertised, like, last September in the UK? Where you been, on a medical trial or something?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Awards Season 2009/2010 (Now w/ Oscar Noms!)

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:14 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Seppuku wrote: I'm really interested in what you have to say about The Secret in Their Eyes...

The Secret In Their Eyes is a nice little quasi noir but it tries way too hard and needed a bit more focus. Its definitely a good movie though and one in which i totally enjoyed (sans bad aging makeup).

The Secret In Their Eyes certainly isn't a perfect movie but it was very effective. I'm not sure I'd say it tries WAY too hard although I know what you mean. It reminded me a lot of Zodiac (and strangely Munich), maybe not as masterfully made technically speaking but it had the heart and soul that Zodiac lacked which stopped me from really connecting to it past a certain level, both are about obsession and how that can effect your life and affect you personally. What an ending though eh Stereos? Absolutely floored me I'm talking about the smile although the prison was pretty chilling if you didn't really see it coming which I didn't even though I should have It also had an absolutely gorgeous score no? Make-Up was forgiveable, I bet they do it even worse when the inevitable Hollywood Remake is made.

It definitely has the heart down pat. It is a super effective film as well with some nice directing flourishes. The opening reminded me of Chungking Express's cinematography without being derivative. Also it spoke to the main character's state of mind. I do see the Munich comparison though I think The Secret In Their Eyes is a better film. And yes the ending was awesome and mostly unexpected! Make-up wasnt as bad as Carla Gugino in Watchman haha.

The Secret in their Eyes was pretty good for a noir/procedural, I liked the romantic Argentinian flavor. The ending came completely out of left field and to me almost felt like it belonged in a different (and much weirder) movie, but it did get to the heart of some of the philosophical issues the main characters were all struggling with. The way they resolved the storyline involving the broken "A" and the writing exercise was pretty clever.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Oscars: 1955

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:31 am

Oscars: 1955 best picture 'Marty' conquered love, TV and film
Oscar Archives: 'Marty,' a 1955 film starring Ernest Borgnine, is the only movie based on a TV production to win the best picture Oscar.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Awards Season 2017

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 am

THR 1/7/2018:
Golden Globes: Guillermo del Toro Wins Best Director for 'The Shape of Water'
Patrick Shanley wrote:Guillermo del Toro took home the Golden Globe for best director of a motion picture at Sunday's 75th annual awards show. He won for his film The Shape of Water.

Del Toro beat out Martin McDonagh for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Christopher Nolan for Dunkirk, Ridley Scott for All the Money in the World and Steven Spielberg for The Post.

"Since childhood I've been faithful to monsters. I've been saved and absolved by them because monsters are the patron saints of our blissful imperfections," del Toro said in his acceptance speech.

The director, whose film focuses on the romance between an aquatic monster and a mute custodial worker, was nearly ushered offstage by music but told them to hold: "It took me 25 years, give me at least a minute." The music was turned down and he was allowed to continue, to rousing applause.

The category's nominees drew criticism for its all-male field of contenders and notable snubs of Greta Gerwig and Jordan Peele, both making their directorial debuts this year, for their critically acclaimed films Lady Bird and Get Out, respectively. Both films were nominated for best picture in the musical or comedy category, and Gerwig earned a nomination for best screenplay. Peele earned no individual nominations.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 am

TheButcher wrote:THR 1/7/2018:

The director, whose film focuses on the romance between an aquatic monster and a mute custodial worker, was nearly ushered offstage by music but told them to hold: "It took me 25 years, give me at least a minute." The music was turned down and he was allowed to continue, to rousing applause.

That's because they had to allot for a half hour for Oprah!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 am

so sorry wrote:
TheButcher wrote:THR 1/7/2018:

That's because they had to allot for a half hour for Oprah!

well, she IS gonna be the next president after all.

TheButcher wrote:"Since childhood I've been faithful to monsters. I've been saved and absolved by them because monsters are the patron saints of our blissful imperfections," del Toro said in his acceptance speech.

i'm sure Harvey Weinstein appreciated being acknowledged.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Awards Season 2009/2010/2011

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks to mental children known as republicans an Oprah presidency seems totally reasonable. Shit, rank and file republicans have brought back the dream that anyone can be president, they didn't just lower the bar they got rid of it. I'm thinking of running my dog for president, he's smarter than Trump and he's got much more charisma.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: Awards Season 2009/2010/2011

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:10 pm

So typical of this geeky place that the only news announcement of the Golden Globes here wasn't what won BEST PICTURE but that Guillermo Del Toro won for Best Director. 'Ere we go with the wank offs to this guy again, like you're all little Harrys. "Uuuuugghhlllmmmm who gives a fuck about the other winners uuugghh it's all Del Toro Del Toro uuuuuggghhhllllmmmmmm, Del Toro let me lick your balls and tell you what a genius you are, fuck the rest of the world uuuuggghhh!!!!"

Geeky narrow minded gentlemen you all are.

And TheButcher has to go.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion