Awards Season 2009/2010/2011

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Awards Season 2009/2010 (Now w/ Oscar Noms!)

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:49 am

The Vicar wrote:Titus is some pretty fine shite. Balls out film-making by Ms. Taymor.

As much as I like the film, most of it's quality was from seeing Anthony Hopkins do Shakespeare finally. Balls out film making? Well, it was mostly because they threw more and more blood at the screen. Desperation on the part of a female director who wasn't skilled enough to figure out better techniques to shock the audience.

From what I gathered from extras who were working on that film too (I work in the industry, I know more about certain pats of film making than others, give me some credit again), nearly all of the scenes that they shot was under the direction of the 1st Assistant Director, who, get this, was a MAN! A man taking over to do uncredited direction because the main director, who was a woman, wasn't up for the job. Same thing that happened on Return of the Jedi with Richard Marquand.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Image

I'm not gonna get into one of those epic arguments that amount to nothing but high blood pressure, 'cause I know what you're doing here, Kirks. It's what I do in the talkbacks sometimes. You pick a side of an argument- it doesn't matter which, although you're gonna get more responses if it's the minority- and you defend it with every ounce of your being! Whether you care or believe in what you're saying doesn't really matter.

But just for the record, I only read your post earlier today. Maybe you should talk to Pacino about adding a Last Posts by Kirk button so that no one can miss a single word you say.

I think that's utter bullshit about "the ratio of crap movies to good ones by men are a lot less." Most female directors (and here's a site that lists some of them) seem to make movies that are far more probing than the majority of shit put out by men. Pick ten random films from that link there and pick ten random films from ten male filmmakers: I guaran-fucking-tee the male directors' films will be full of misguided, amateurish shit (the films that make it to our cinemas are hardly even a fraction of the percentage of movies that are actually put out each year). If the tables were turned, and the ratio of female to male directors were 40/50/60 to 1, then naturally we'd see even more classic pics from women.

I didn't mention Awakenings because you already did it for me, and it probably wouldn't have occurred to me anyway. Which proves my point about there being way more films that I didn't list. Check out some of the movies on that list though. Especially Mikey and Nicky starring Columbo and John Cassavetes. That is a truly underrated '70s gem, and it shows no "womanly" traits whatsoever. I honestly think you'll love that movie. At least, I did. Here's Quint's review which inspired me to watch it.

Anyway, I know you're just being provocative and I guess I took the bait. :D
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:18 am

I'd appreciate it if you quoted my post that is now on the bottom of the last page, so that people could see what you're replying to.

I'll read your links and lists that I know full well you lazily Googled, in a minute. For now though, I'll just say that if the ration was turned, we'd also get a helluva lot more shit films from women, thrusting women attitudes down our throats. I'm all for woman power, as long as they don't oppress men because of it, which is what any woman given such privelage does. Anyway, in male directed movies, it isn't as you might think, full of masculine attitudes (last film I saw of a great example of this was Bring It On funnily enough), and anyway, I've seen women directed movies that ARE. What does that say?

Also I'll throw in another film that really tips the balance of this argument and proves that women aren't as deserving as you may think.... TWILLIGHT. For every Awakenings out there, there are lots of big pieces of crap, or a Lost In Translation that was made by some rich director daddy's little daughter (who rumour has it, directed a lot of the pic himself, not actually Sofia).

Why are you getting so upset though? Getting high blood pressure when I'm trying to make a civil point in a mild manner and you're getting so bent out of shape over it? I think you need to remember the rules of this place, no need to get so stressed.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:31 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I
Why are you getting so upset though? Getting high blood pressure when I'm trying to make a civil point in a mild manner and you're getting so bent out of shape over it? I think you need to remember the rules of this place, no need to get so stressed.

Me, upset? I'm cooler than a polar bear's toenails, baby!

I thought it was only fair quoting your post for all those people who never look on the previous page, though.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:38 am

Seppuku wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I

Me, upset? I'm cooler than a polar bear's toenails, baby!

I thought it was only fair quoting your post for all those people who never look on the previous page, though.

Very well then, I'll do it. As people in the Zone are generally lazy.

Well you are getting high blood pressure, so I don't see why that's being cool. Seems you're one thing then the other, you may need to get your thinking straight.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Seppuku wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: As I said before, there just haven't been that many good female directors out there in the first place, or have made that many good films. The ones I have seen, apart from Awakenings, have been fairly lacklustre and mediocre, Nora Ephron blah blah etc.

Check out these ten movies, and when you're done with them ask me again for a list of ten more great movies by female directors and I'll give them to you:

Mikey and Nicky
and A New Leaf directed by Elaine May
Ratcatcher by Lynne Ramsay
Fast Times @ Ridgemont High by Amy Heckerling (and yeah, it may be a teen comedy, but it's the king of high school comedies. Cameron Crowe pretended to be a High School student for a few months before writing the screenplay, and it paid off)
The Hitch-Hiker by Ida Lupino. I don't know if you dig noir movies, but you could also call this a proto-slasher flick. It's cold, mean and creepy.
Talk to me by Kasi Lemmons
An Education by Lone Scherfig
American Psycho by Mary Harron (ever seen that one?)
Me & You & Everyone We Know by Miranda July
Titus by Julie Taymor

Earn this. Don't be given it just out of pity. THAT'S SEXIST. Not anything that has come to these women before. Basically, show me the talent, I'll show you the money, and the awards. Not for simply being a self pitying minority.

I'll admit, even though I listed a bunch of movies by female directors above, they are still by far the minority. I haven't seen The Hurt Locker yet, as I suspect a movie told from the perspective of the occupying force in Iraq will only end up pissing me off and making me feel sad for the 100k+ dead Iraqi civilians, but even if it isn't the best made movie, award ceremonies are just backslapping brigades, so to use one to inspire other women to become directors seems a fair trade to me.

Guy, I wrote my post like, weeks ago. You really did have to scape the bottom of that barrel in order to finally find some half decent at best movies out there made by a woman. It also tells me that you came across 100 times as more rubbish movies by women too (Amy Heckerling, I'm looking at you). And no, it's not the same case for men. The ratio of crap movies to good ones by men are a lot less. So again, it just proves my point more, that this silly award for Best Film and Director to Bigelow is just sexist guilt. No film by a woman before and now deserves Best Director/Film. Awakeniings was the closest. Dunno why you didn't mention that though. I think that says a lot.

I like how everyone is just ranting about the director of The Hitcher just because she is a hot woman. She wouldn't have gotten that directing gig if she wasn't. Which brings me to another point... why does any of the female directors get to become so? Mostly (and from what I know of the industry for working in it, give me some bloody credit once in a while will ya?) it's because they SLEEP their way to the job with male producers. Which means that this anti-sexist award giving just for the sake of it, is even more an example of women being sexist to MEN. Especially when they have hardly made a decent film collectively.

I like how these directors of a great film don't do much afterwards. Just seem to fade, even Penny Marshall, and Bigelow made some right stinkers (advanced in her career though no doubt by her marriage to Cameron). I think that says a lot about their so called talent. And no, Jane Campion isn't an example of contradiction to this point, as even The Piano was controversial in it's nominations at the Academy. A lot of people hated that film.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:53 am

I reckon this conversation is kind of moot anyway. For me the writer will always be the most important part of the process, no matter how much Hollywood tries to downplay their involvement. And there are a hell of a lot more female screenwriters than there are directors.

That makes sense to me. Just like a woman, making everything work behind the scenes, while a male steps in and takes all the credit.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:24 am

Seppuku wrote:I reckon this conversation is kind of moot anyway. For me the writer will always be the most important part of the process, no matter how much Hollywood tries to downplay their involvement. And there are a hell of a lot more female screenwriters than there are directors.

That makes sense to me. Just like a woman, making everything work behind the scenes, while a male steps in and takes all the credit.

That's what they get for getting us kicked out of paradise. :wink:
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Jabbadonut on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:42 pm

John-Locke wrote:Sweet Jeebus, I like the film Jabba. I'm sure some veterans are going to like the film too (although I'm only finding comments made by those who call the film totally unrealistic so far, if it's Veteran Opinion you hold so dear I suggest you watch the excellent HBO Mini-Series Generation Kill), The Hurt Locker is a superior War Film and it addresses the whole notion of what makes these guys tick, the bomb disposal scenes are über Tense with a real sense of Jeopardy, the sniper battle is pure BADASS especially the human moment with the Capri-Sun. Even the civilian scenes right at the end are done right. However I for one (and I know I'm not alone in thinking this) wont turn a blind eye to the totally unrealistic Rogue Missions near the end. You are entitled to your opinion and there is no right or wrong but don't expect me take your opinion seriously when you call it "one of the best movies I have ever seen", I'd like to ask you roughly where abouts you'd place this film in your top 1000 of all time? It certainly wouldn't break into the top 200 for me.

I've kept my mouth relatively shut with regards to your comments in the God Thread, there are others here who know a hell of a lot more than me about Religion and all that Jazz and I'll leave it up to them to call bullshit on your opinions or not. Films however are my passion, I take them very seriously and although sometimes I can let things cloud my judgement I'm man enough to admit this once it's been pointed out to me, otherwise there would be no point in spending so much of my time debating and discussing them. I get the feeling that once you've made up your mind about something not even an intervention from Pencil, I mean God himself will change your opinion, which begs me to ask the question why you bother sharing them in the first place?

I still hope The Hurt Locker wins the Oscar for Direction and wont think it'll be an absolute travesty if it wins Best Picture but it's worth noting that that in my opinion there are at least three ultimately superior films nominated in the Best Foreign Picture Category, A Prophet, The White Ribbon & The Secret in Their Eyes, I'd be happy to debate their relative merits and failings with you or anyone else at any time.

:wink:

EDIT:

In the God Thread Fried Gold wrote:if you're not going to allow your "concepts" to be open for criticism and scepticism, then there's no point in telling us about them.

I just read this for the first time so any similarities with what I said are down to us both sharing a similar opinion on how you should be conducting yourself with regards to debate and discussion.

I would put "The Hurt Locker" in my top 100. Remember, people see all kinds of movies, and I may not have necessarily seen all the movies you've seen, and you haven't seen all the movies I've seen. For you to say I'm full of it because I thought this film was one of the best I'VE seen seems prejudicial to me. You don't know the movies I've seen, so cannot possibly have any valid reason to criticize my choice of this film as one of my personal bests. I can't stop you from doing so, but I find it kind of illogical. I wouldn't call you names for any film you may think is one of the best. Those kinds of things are just opinions, they aren't "facts" so debating them isn't rational to my mind.

I have not spoken to one single veteran about "The Hurt Locker." I suggested you do so in order to report back as to what some might have said. I was curious about that myself, and let you do the work ( :) ).

Anyway, I can find something to complain about in every movie I've ever seen, including The Hurt Locker. That doesn't diminish any of the impact those films may have had on me. The movie just touched me, what can I say?
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby John-Locke on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Top 100 makes me feel a little better, normally when someone says "one of the best movies they have ever seen" they mean their top 10 or 20, after a certain point it just becomes about personal taste and as you said what films you have seen. My top 50 (hell, my entire list) is almost totally devoid of films made prior to the 1970's.

I also think there is an argument/discussion to be had somewhere about the difference between "Best" and "Favourite" but that is for another thread.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:00 pm

John-Locke wrote:Top 100 makes me feel a little better, normally when someone says "one of the best movies they have ever seen" they mean their top 10 or 20, after a certain point it just becomes about personal taste and as you said what films you have seen. My top 50 (hell, my entire list) is almost totally devoid of films made prior to the 1970's.

I also think there is an argument/discussion to be had somewhere about the difference between "Best" and "Favourite" but that is for another thread.

Well I think if you try to be a "serious" film aficionado your top-whatever list should try to combine "best" and "favorite"... for instance I actually enjoyed Dude Where's My Car and How High, but they are far from being among the better films I've seen, however Ed Wood and Rushmore are very high on my top-whatever list because they are among both my favorite and best films that I've ever seen. Jeez I hope that made sense.

In any case when I look back on a given year of films, my top choices will also be attempts to combine "best" with "favorite." To propose a couple of definitions, I'd say best films are of an exceptional quality in filmmaking and all that comprises, and favorites will be the ones you revisit every now and then.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Reads previous posts with furious speed and appeciation for their intellectual vigour. Then this...

Pacino86845 wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Top 100 makes me feel a little better, normally when someone says "one of the best movies they have ever seen" they mean their top 10 or 20, after a certain point it just becomes about personal taste and as you said what films you have seen. My top 50 (hell, my entire list) is almost totally devoid of films made prior to the 1970's.

Well I think if you try to be a "serious" film aficionado your top-whatever list should try to combine "best" and "favorite"... for instance I actually enjoyed Dude Where's My Ca...

Clicked off thread and Foed user with furious speed and intellectual vigour.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Dude Where's My Car is a better film than Avatar.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:14 pm

B4NN3D!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:15 pm

John-Locke wrote:B4NN3D!

Why are you banning me for? You LIKE Dude Where's My Ca... oh I can't even say it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:15 pm

The Baftas are tonight.

I would watch it, but Mythbusters is on.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Fried Gold wrote:The Baftas are tonight.

I would watch it, but Mythbusters is on.

When Kathryn Bigelow starts crying in her seat when she doesn't win, just like as in Airplane, you can expect me queueing up with a cricket bat, to beat her up to keep her shut, farking crybaby liberty taking woman that she is.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:28 pm

I thought chairs were your weapon of choice?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:31 pm

Seppuku wrote:I thought chairs were your weapon of choice?

Yes well, considering your ramblings and wanting to pick fights with me all day, and also of women and chairs, this is my reaction to your angered conflicts...

You need to chill out, stop being so angry.
All the Mods in fact. I've made a list of how you all weakened a Forum today.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Yes well, considering your ramblings and wanting to pick fights with me all day, and also of women and chairs, this is my reaction to your angered conflicts...

Woah, is that really a picture of you? I think Pacina's got herself a rival. You're hot!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Actually Rise of the Silver Surfer is on too, and I'd even rather watch that over the awards.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Dude Where's My Car is a better film than Avatar.

This ... is a lie. No, it's worse than a lie - it's an untruth. No, it's worse than an untruth - it's just WRONG on so many levels! No, it's not just WRONG on so many levels - it's STUPID and EVIL and BAD FOR HUMANITY and for the FUTURE OF OUR CHILDREN AND OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN!! It's foul! It's corruption! H.P. Lovecraft couldn't describe how turbo-lousy this statement is!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Actually Rise of the Silver Surfer is on too, and I'd even rather watch that over the awards.

Even that crappy sci fi Alien rip off, worse still for having Arnie in it, is on as well. I'd even watch THAT over this awards travesty, unless I wanna pop over to see Bigelow do a drama queen Gwynth Paltrow rip off that is typical of so many women in Hollywood - when she loses.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:17 pm

minstrel wrote:

This ... is a lie. No, it's worse than a lie - it's an untruth. No, it's worse than an untruth - it's just WRONG on so many levels! No, it's not just WRONG on so many levels - it's STUPID and EVIL and BAD FOR HUMANITY and for the FUTURE OF OUR CHILDREN AND OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN!! It's foul! It's corruption! H.P. Lovecraft couldn't describe how turbo-lousy this statement is!

For Pacino. It's what I've done. If we ignore the idiots, maybe they'll disappear for real.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Why are you getting so upset though? Getting high blood pressure when I'm trying to make a civil point in a mild manner and you're getting so bent out of shape over it? I think you need to remember the rules of this place, no need to get so stressed.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:When Kathryn Bigelow starts crying in her seat when she doesn't win, just like as in Airplane, you can expect me queueing up with a cricket bat, to beat her up to keep her shut, farking crybaby liberty taking woman that she is.

We all appreciate the art of your comic subtlety here, Kirk.

I think the shit would have been better stirred if we hadn't already had the "women are stupid and can't direct" argument just a week ago. But as always your efforts to enliven the conversation are appreciated.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Ridley Scott - Thelma and Louise. (Not a female director.)

I think that makes my point, doesn't it?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:58 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Why are you getting so upset though? Getting high blood pressure when I'm trying to make a civil point in a mild manner and you're getting so bent out of shape over it? I think you need to remember the rules of this place, no need to get so stressed.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:When Kathryn Bigelow starts crying in her seat when she doesn't win, just like as in Airplane, you can expect me queueing up with a cricket bat, to beat her up to keep her shut, farking crybaby liberty taking woman that she is.

We all appreciate the art of your comic subtlety here, Kirk.

I think the shit would have been better stirred if we hadn't already had the "women are stupid and can't direct" argument just a week ago. But as always your efforts to enliven the conversation are appreciated.

I don't think The Hurt Locker deserves the praise it's having heaped on it (I think it's just a case of the right film for the current political climate, just like Crash was), but truth be told, I didn't really know what gender the director was until you all started bringing it up. And strangely, it doesn't change my mind about the film.
What difference does it make that she's a she? Does having ovaries give you an edge in artistic direction? Should we judge her work differently? I don't think thats where you are taking the conversation, but it's an observation from my end...

Now...I'm not trying to start a flame war here, and I hope the female readers of this don't take it the wrong way, but here's my take on the subject...

The reason more women don't get involved in film direction is the same reason there aren't that many high profile female CEO's. I think it's got fuck-all to do with a "good ole boy's club" and more to do with biology. Women get to choose to become mothers. Motherhood changes a woman. Her outlook on life, the way she sees things, the risks she's willing to take. Ask your own mother how wild and carefree she was before you came along. Why in the world would a studio invest in a property that could drastically change at any time?

Men don't ever go through that. We have mid-life crisis. We sleep with a woman 1/2 our age to feel better about ourselves at the expense of those who really love us. We buy expensive cars that we look ridiculous in, and can't even properly drive. We tell stories of how good it used to be, even when it used to be shit...

A man's perspective only gets narrower with age. Men hone in on what they like and dislike. Most things become a black and white choice for us.
Women tend to follow the opposite path. Their world view broadens as they become older. You have the benefit of a grey area long into your golden years.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:01 pm

It's Complicated has just won Best Visual Effects. Did NOT see that one coming.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It's Complicated has just won Best Visual Effects. Did NOT see that one coming.

Tell me you are fucking kidding me...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:16 pm

Well Moon just won for Best Director. Even though he nearly cried like a girl over it. So no Kathryn win.

There is peace in the universe.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 pm

What's with all this bullshit about guys thanking their farking WIVES and kids for the award? Did that woman bloody well help them get the film made or win the award? No, they just bitched about how the talented men don't spend any time with them and rock their bloody babies to sleep.

Bullshit.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:It's Complicated has just won Best Visual Effects. Did NOT see that one coming.

Indeed. Avatar got it.

If you want to save yourself some time, trouble and embarassment at having to sit through Jonathan Ross - all the winners are here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/63rd_British_Academy_Film_Awards

Moon didn't even get Best British film. Rubs.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Bayouwolf wrote:

Indeed. Avatar got it.

If you want to save yourself some time, trouble and embarassment at having to sit through Jonathan Ross - all the winners are here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/63rd_British_Academy_Film_Awards

Moon didn't even get Best British film. Rubs.

Er, spoilers, dude. I'm still watching.

They just announced Best Actress. Fuxake.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

So you don't yet know that they completely ballsed things up then?

You could be watching Predator on Channel 4.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

So you don't yet know that they completely ballsed things up then?

You could be watching Predator on Channel 4.

Well what is the funniest thing ironically is watching Johnathon balls things up when he tells a joke and you get reaction shots of no laughter, dull response, groans and best of all, Mickey Rourke's look of total contempt and 'what the fuck's this idiot going on about?' look in his face. This is such an entertaining show, Ross is never gonna work again.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:49 pm

DILLON! SON OF A BITCH?! And what is this fucking tie business?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Look at them all squint with a 1000 yard stare as they try to read the cue like they give a shit about some harlem studly bitch who's gonna get an award.

Oh but the joy of Ross's bombs with his unfunny jokes, this s getting more and more entertaini... WHATTHEFARKYOUMEAN?THEHURTLOCKERWINNINGBESTSCRIPT???!?!

BOMB 1 BOMB 2 BOMB 3 ETC!!! Bloody Blown Away had a better story than this!!!!

Don't smile, Kathryn!!! You didn't write it!! :evil: :evil:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Look at them all squint with a 1000 yard stare as they try to read the cue like they give a shit about some harlem studly bitch who's gonna get an award.

Oh but the joy of Ross's bombs with his unfunny jokes, this s getting more and more entertaini... WHATTHEFARKYOUMEAN?THEHURTLOCKERWINNINGBESTSCRIPT???!?!

Just wait till you see the winner of best adapted screenplay.

And what happened to the rest of Hopper's men?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Look at them all squint with a 1000 yard stare as they try to read the cue like they give a shit about some harlem studly bitch who's gonna get an award.

Just wait till you see the winner of best adapted screenplay.

And what happened to the rest of Hopper's men?

UP IN THE AIR WON!! YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Up yours JL for hating this film! I KNEW that this film is gonna be good and this award proves it!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 pm

beat wise, UP IN THE AIR is the same as FUNNY PEOPLE...and I liked Funny People more...
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby John-Locke on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 pm

I thought it was one of the best Awards shows I've seen in terms of Speeches and the general mood in the place, it seemed to me like there were a lot of genuine emotions on display and even though the obvious choices won a lot of the awards, the applause for nominees seemed to be more spot on, even Kirsten Stuart seemed embarrassed to win over Tahar Rahim who got the biggest applause and the other more worthy winners of the Orange Rising Star Award (which is voted for by the public). I predicted about 90% of the winners, I knew Up In The Air was going to win Adapted Screenplay, I knew Fish Tank was going to win best British Film (BLEH), I hoped Hurt Locker was going to win all those it did but I didn't see it winning Original Screenplay over Tarantino who seemed to be a shoe in. I still wish Gabourey Sidibe won over Carey Mulligan as I doubt we'll ever see her in anything worthwhile again and she gave an equally impressive performance, I fear that Mulligan is going to take all this attention, get a big "Ac-Tor" ego and become far too precocious for her own good, which would be a real shame.

Colin Firth FTW!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:12 pm

A Prophet has to be one of the best overlooked films of the last five years, it won the runners up at Cannes and that's it. For film that is so relevant and so extraordinarily well made that's a travesty.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 pm

You're a travesty!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Wha? It won Best Film not in the English Language tonight and seemed to be the favourite of the Audience too. Unless you mean like Why isn't it being nominated for Best Picture/Actor etc then yeah I'm with you, ditto White Ribbon & The Secret in Their Eyes. I'm sounding like a broken record now aren't I?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TonyWilson on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:27 pm

:oops:
I havent watched tonight's show. But that it won is awesome. I'm very pleased indeed.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 am

minstrel wrote:

I'll take a hot Kristy Swanson over a blue Zoe Saldana any day!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:52 am

A Prophet is quite an excellent film. While I had some issue with how it ended, that didn't detract too much with how superbly done the rest of the film was: direction and acting especially. Has it even been released on this side of the Atlantic yet? That might be one reason why we haven't heard *too* much about it...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 pm

What was your issue with the ending? Spoiler text it or does it deserve it's own thread?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Seppuku on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:56 pm

John-Locke wrote:What was your issue with the ending? Spoiler text it or does it deserve it's own thread?

Lol, I had a post here saying that we should make a thread for all the Oscar-nominated foreign movies this year (it's been the most interesting batch in ages). I've seen White Ribbon and A Prophet so far, but I'm really interested in what you have to say about The Secret in Their Eyes. I deleted the post 'cause foreign movies are teh pretentious.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm

John-Locke wrote:What was your issue with the ending? Spoiler text it or does it deserve it's own thread?

Not a big deal, but:
I dunno, things felt a little too nicely wrapped-up for Malik in the end... he has a gang waiting to look out for him when he's released, he's got a smoking hot girlfriend waiting for him (whose husband "conveniently" died of ball cancer). It just didn't seem right somehow, like after the rawness of the entire film Audiard felt that we earned some sort of happy ending. But this is a minor issue really, the film is amazing otherwise.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm

Seppuku wrote:

Lol, I had a post here saying that we should make a thread for all the Oscar-nominated foreign movies this year (it's been the most interesting batch in ages). I've seen White Ribbon and A Prophet so far, but I'm really interested in what you have to say about The Secret in Their Eyes. I deleted the post 'cause foreign movies are teh pretentious.

The Secret In Their Eyes is a nice little quasi noir but it tries way too hard and needed a bit more focus. Its definitely a good movie though and one in which i totally enjoyed (sans bad aging makeup).
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion