Awards Season 2009/2010/2011

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Awards Season 2009/2010 (Now w/ Oscar Noms!)

Postby John-Locke on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Seppuku wrote: I'm really interested in what you have to say about The Secret in Their Eyes...

The Secret In Their Eyes is a nice little quasi noir but it tries way too hard and needed a bit more focus. Its definitely a good movie though and one in which i totally enjoyed (sans bad aging makeup).

The Secret In Their Eyes certainly isn't a perfect movie but it was very effective. I'm not sure I'd say it tries WAY too hard although I know what you mean. It reminded me a lot of Zodiac (and strangely Munich), maybe not as masterfully made technically speaking but it had the heart and soul that Zodiac lacked which stopped me from really connecting to it past a certain level, both are about obsession and how that can effect your life and affect you personally. What an ending though eh Stereos? Absolutely floored me I'm talking about the smile although the prison was pretty chilling if you didn't really see it coming which I didn't even though I should have It also had an absolutely gorgeous score no? Make-Up was forgiveable, I bet they do it even worse when the inevitable Hollywood Remake is made.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby stereosforgeeks on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 am

John-Locke wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
Seppuku wrote: I'm really interested in what you have to say about The Secret in Their Eyes...

The Secret In Their Eyes is a nice little quasi noir but it tries way too hard and needed a bit more focus. Its definitely a good movie though and one in which i totally enjoyed (sans bad aging makeup).

The Secret In Their Eyes certainly isn't a perfect movie but it was very effective. I'm not sure I'd say it tries WAY too hard although I know what you mean. It reminded me a lot of Zodiac (and strangely Munich), maybe not as masterfully made technically speaking but it had the heart and soul that Zodiac lacked which stopped me from really connecting to it past a certain level, both are about obsession and how that can effect your life and affect you personally. What an ending though eh Stereos? Absolutely floored me I'm talking about the smile although the prison was pretty chilling if you didn't really see it coming which I didn't even though I should have It also had an absolutely gorgeous score no? Make-Up was forgiveable, I bet they do it even worse when the inevitable Hollywood Remake is made.

It definitely has the heart down pat. It is a super effective film as well with some nice directing flourishes. The opening reminded me of Chungking Express's cinematography without being derivative. Also it spoke to the main character's state of mind. I do see the Munich comparison though I think The Secret In Their Eyes is a better film. And yes the ending was awesome and mostly unexpected! Make-up wasnt as bad as Carla Gugino in Watchman haha.

Have you seen the Milk of Sorrow yet? It's got the Dardennes sort of minimal film making thing going on but with a much wider eye than they have and way more socially conscious. The main actress is really good. You could really see the pain written on her face. It's about how the horrors of war stay with us long after the war is over.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby John-Locke on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:19 am

I've had the screener sitting on my pile for weeks now, I just haven't been in the mood yet for something that is obviously going to be quite heavy going. Soon.

I have no intention of seeing that Israeli film that's nominated, the trailer made it look even worse than my low expectations assumed. Can people in Israel even make a film that isn't at some level about the tensions? ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Heard anything different?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:43 am

Well I couldn't find a thread about The Hurt Locker, and I remember people talking about it in here at some point... a very average film. So war is a drug, huh. Great.

Nothing really stands out in the film, it's not bad, just not that great in any respect.

I have no idea why this movie is getting any attention.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Marksman230591 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 pm

I just read the winners' list for the BAFTAs. If you want to know my thoughts about Hurt Locker, you can read them here: http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73670&start=50

I'm quite happy that Hurt Locker got all those awards. But I have to say, my only complaint is that it won best original screenplay. Inglourious Basterds deserved that more than any other film there. And I also REALLY wanted District 9 to win best adapted screenplay since, you know... It was 10 times more entertaining than Up in the Air, but instead they gave it to that overrated hack Jason Reitman. I REALLY wanted to see him with a pissed-off expression again, just like in the Golden Globes.

But other than that, everything else played out how I expected.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:41 pm

John-Locke wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:

Zodiac and Munich. 8-)

Those two deserved Best Pic noms as far as I'm concerned John.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Not that my opinion on the awards is worth even a grain of salt, but in my fantasy awards show, given the Oscar options, my picks would be:

Best Picture (haven't seen Blind Side, An Education, or Precious)
Inglourious Basterds

Best Director (haven't seen Precious)
Quentin Tarantino, 'Inglourious Basterds'

Best Actor (haven't seen Crazy Heart, Single Man, or Invictus)
No opinion, too uninformed

Best Actress (haven't seen any of the nominated performances)
No opinion, too uninformed

Best Supporting Actor (I've only seen Christoph Waltz, but he was amazing)
Christoph Waltz, 'Inglourious Basterds'

Best Supporting Actress (haven't seen Nine, Crazy Heart, or Precious)
No opinion

Best Animated Feature Film (haven't seen The Princess and the Frog or The Secret of Kells)
'Fantastic Mr. Fox'

Best Original Screenplay (haven't seen The Messenger)
'A Serious Man' (Inglourious Basterds had an awesome script but I'd like to give this film some recognition)

Best Adapted Screenplay (haven't seen An Education, Precious, or half of In the Loop)
No opinion, but what the hell was District 9 an adaptation of?

Best Foreign Language Film
I've only seen A Prophet, but it was pretty awesome

Best Cinematography (haven't seen White Ribbon)
Robert Richardson, 'Inglourious Basterds'
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Pacino, I'm right there with you on the Basterds love.

I'd go with Bridges as Best Actor for Crazy Heart.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Yeah I really have to watch Crazy Heart. I've really cut down on how many films I watch, and due to access/convenience I end up seeing a lot of crap.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Man, I really dropped the ball this year as far as seeing movies that were nominated... the only one I've seen was Inglorious Basterds.

Which I wouldn't give any Oscars to...

seriously.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Best Adapted Screenplay (haven't seen An Education, Precious, or half of In the Loop)
No opinion, but what the hell was District 9 an adaptation of?

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:22 pm

I've seen Alive in Joburg (or whatever it's called), but does that really count as "adapted" screenplay? Weird.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Yeah I really have to watch Crazy Heart. I've really cut down on how many films I watch, and due to access/convenience I end up seeing a lot of crap.

It's really good, even though I always take the cliched stance of "Well, I don't like country music but this is great" for some reason.

But yeah, bridges is really good, as is Colin Farrell.

Even though I don't like country music. :wink:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Bloo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:34 pm

I really want to see Crazy Heart, I keep saying that because I really do
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Think you're good at predicting the Oscars? Good enough to win a Blu-Ray player?

Here's how:

http://www.goldenschmoes.com/oscars2009.php
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby John-Locke on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:22 pm

My Predictions

Best Picture: AVATAR
Actor In A Leading Role: Jeff Bridges - CRAZY HEART
Actress In A Leading Role: Sandra Bullock - THE BLIND SIDE
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow - THE HURT LOCKER
Actor In A Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz - INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Actress In A Supporting Role: Mo\'nique - PRECIOUS
Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino - INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Best Adapted Screenplay: Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner - UP IN THE AIR
Best Art Direction: AVATAR
Best Cinematography: THE WHITE RIBBON
Best Foreign Film: THE WHITE RIBBON
Best Original Score: UP
Best Animated Film: UP
Best Costume Design: THE YOUNG VICTORIA
Best Visual Effects: AVATAR
Best Original Song: The Weary Kind - CRAZY HEART
Best Film Editing: THE HURT LOCKER
Best Make-up: THE YOUNG VICTORIA
Best Sound Editing: STAR TREK
Best Sound Mixing: STAR TREK
Best Documentary Feature: THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN AMERICA
Best Documentary (Short Subject): The Last Truck: The Closing of a GM Plant
Best Short Film (Animated): Logorama
Best Short Film (Live Action): The Door

Those last four were totally random
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby minstrel on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 am

HOW can Kathryn Bigelow get the Oscar when she's responsible for the most annoying and pointless swimming-around-the-frame camera work of ALL TIME????

Stanley Kubrick spins in his grave.

Cameron did a hell of a lot more directing work than Bigelow did. And he did it damn well. I don't think he'll get the Oscar, but that will be because of politics. There's a backlash against Cameron because of his film's success, and because Titanic made so much money and won all those Oscars. Now, nobody wants to give him anything even if he earns it.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 pm

maybe this has been mentioned in here already, but i haven't been following the thread religiously, so here it is (again?):

this idiot Hurt Locker producer just got himself banned from the oscars

what a dumbass. he's gonna feel REALLY stupid if it wins, and he misses out on his chance to stand up there and bask in all the oscar glory while he's sitting on his couch at home in his underwear drinking a beer (ok, he probably won't be sitting at home in his underwear with a beer, he'll probably be at some oscar party or something, but that's not as pathetic)
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:01 pm

minstrel wrote:Cameron did a hell of a lot more directing work than Bigelow did. And he did it damn well. I don't think he'll get the Oscar, but that will be because of politics. There's a backlash against Cameron because of his film's success, and because Titanic made so much money and won all those Oscars. Now, nobody wants to give him anything even if he earns it.

Oh snap, he's on to us. He must have hacked our secret network where we all conspire to feel satisfied-but-not-blown-away by a really really expensive average movie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:Cameron did a hell of a lot more directing work than Bigelow did. And he did it damn well. I don't think he'll get the Oscar, but that will be because of politics. There's a backlash against Cameron because of his film's success, and because Titanic made so much money and won all those Oscars. Now, nobody wants to give him anything even if he earns it.

Oh snap, he's on to us. He must have hacked our secret network where we all conspire to feel satisfied-but-not-blown-away by a really really expensive average movie.

you two sound like these guys
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:48 pm

minstrel wrote:Cameron did a hell of a lot more directing work than Bigelow did.

Of course he did, his movie is 30 minutes longer. :-P
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

you two sound like these guys

funnily enough, i posted that before reading the second page... the part where they start discussing 2001 is strangely deja-vu-like...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Marksman230591 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

TheBaxter wrote:maybe this has been mentioned in here already, but i haven't been following the thread religiously, so here it is (again?):

this idiot Hurt Locker producer just got himself banned from the oscars

what a dumbass. he's gonna feel REALLY stupid if it wins, and he misses out on his chance to stand up there and bask in all the oscar glory while he's sitting on his couch at home in his underwear drinking a beer (ok, he probably won't be sitting at home in his underwear with a beer, he'll probably be at some oscar party or something, but that's not as pathetic)

Holy shit, that is really funny! :lol:

Man, what an idiot. And pretty pathetic too. Trying to convince people to vote via email is really sad on a professional level.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 am

I haven't finished reading all this stuff, but jeez, man ...

Jim Emerson, colossal bonehead, wrote:By disrespecting the laws of physics (even Pandoran physics, however those may differ from Earth's) and maneuvering the digital "camera" in ways no camera could actually move, you lose the feeling that you're looking at an actual world through a lens, and everything becomes transparently virtual.

Isn't that what filmmakers have been striving for since, like, forever? Who wants to look at a world through a lens? That's not the experience that filmmakers want to give the viewers! I, as a viewer, DO NOT WANT TO FEEL THAT I'M LOOKING AT A WORLD THROUGH A LENS!! That's so limiting, so lame. I want films to make me feel like I'm flying, falling, spinning, soaring, doing everything that actual cameras CAN'T do! For a critic to complain that "you lose the feeling that you're looking at an actual world through a lens" is utterly absurd. That's the idea, you cretin!
minstrel

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:56 am

minstrel wrote:I haven't finished reading all this stuff, but jeez, man ...

Jim Emerson, colossal bonehead, wrote:By disrespecting the laws of physics (even Pandoran physics, however those may differ from Earth's) and maneuvering the digital "camera" in ways no camera could actually move, you lose the feeling that you're looking at an actual world through a lens, and everything becomes transparently virtual.

Isn't that what filmmakers have been striving for since, like, forever? Who wants to look at a world through a lens? That's not the experience that filmmakers want to give the viewers! I, as a viewer, DO NOT WANT TO FEEL THAT I'M LOOKING AT A WORLD THROUGH A LENS!! That's so limiting, so lame. I want films to make me feel like I'm flying, falling, spinning, soaring, doing everything that actual cameras CAN'T do! For a critic to complain that "you lose the feeling that you're looking at an actual world through a lens" is utterly absurd. That's the idea, you cretin!

The only weight I would add to his argument would be that you are essentially losing "the real" or any truth , this is something that many cineastes (from the noted critic Bazin onwards) have upheld about cinema for years. These guys think that cinema should be about truth and objectivity and anything , say a blur, lighting or editing ruins cinematic reality because it is imposing a subjective opinion upon the viewer. Its telling them WHERE to look, and WHAT is important rather than them coming away with their truths or perspectives about what they have seen. Avatar it would seem is far removed from the cinematic realism movement. Think "Paisa" or "Roma citta apperta" as great examples of realist or neo-realist film, or Renoir. These films even went so far as casting non-actors or locals to add authenticity and truth to performance, its an important part of cinema history and its tradition can be seen today in the films of Ken Loach and also Steven Soderberg who has experimented in the field. They believe that film has a serious social role to play and in our day of hyper reality, political propaganda and insane amounts of corporate advertising, truth is often never a factor. Escapism has its place, as a viewer though you are surrendering to a huge amount of manipulation.

I realise this is probably deeper than what that guy was even on about, so yeah , he is a cretin. :lol:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:34 am

Maybe he talking about how for him the camerawork hurts the immersion everyone that praises Avatar is talking about.

But yeah the through a lens sentence is pretty weird, Avatar is really supposed to be a dogma film.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:39 am

I generally hate that show-offy Panic Room style stuff where they make an absurd point of doing things that a big bulky camera couldn't do like fly through keyholes and up ventilation shafts and stuff. That actually does take me out of the movie because in its quest to seem like there is no camera, it draws attention to its flashy perspective.

But I don't even remember any of that happening in Avatar.

I don't know this Emmerson guy, but he actually does sound a bit like a grump and like he's just knitpicking the movie.

I think these big movies like Avatar make us all feel like we're suppose to have big feelings to match, so it I think a lot of people who just thought the movie was average turn into grumpy haters so that their reactions are in scale to the film's production and hype.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:10 am

I think he comes across as a douche "oh I saw 2001 on the big screen I'm so much more important and film educated then these damn kids who have only seen Avatar and The Dark Knight on the big screen"

he's like an old man shaking his cane at the kids "get off my lawn" and what's sad is he does make a few good points but it's all lost in his douchiness

Just because I haven't seen 2001 on the big screen doesn't mean I can't enjoy it or recognize it's genius. Same with Terrence Malik, genius should be transferable in any medium big or small. I think that is going to be the quest for Avatar, will it hold up on my 22 in regular def television TV or do I need the spectecle in order to enjoy it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I generally hate that show-offy Panic Room style stuff where they make an absurd point of doing things that a big bulky camera couldn't do like fly through keyholes and up ventilation shafts and stuff. That actually does take me out of the movie because in its quest to seem like there is no camera, it draws attention to its flashy perspective.

But I don't even remember any of that happening in Avatar.

The immediate thing I thought of were the points were the shot zooms in toward a window from outside and fades through the window to become inside (or vice-versa).

Although it seems to me that he's referring to moments where, in a real life situation, a camera would never be able to be. But they don't particularly "disrespect the laws of physics" as he says. If you can buy an alien planet with neon-coloured creatures, surely you buy some freedom with the CG camera movement.

Add to that his apparent film-snobishness. He'd probably have been happier with claymation aliens and cardboard spaceships.

If you want to nitpick in the way he does, you could do the same with Hurt Locker. For example:
- Most of the film was shot on 16mm, then blown up to 35mm to give a grainy look. The inserts of high-speed photography featured completely different lighting, a lack of grain and a more "video" look, which really took me out of the story.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 am

minstrel wrote:I haven't finished reading all this stuff, but jeez, man ...

well, technically speaking, our eyes are lenses, so we are are ALWAYS looking at the world through a lens. or two lenses, to be specific.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 pm

I was just pointing out that in Avatar, when the characters are flying on those banshees, I wanted to feel like I was flying there with them. The fixed-camera-through-the-lens thing doesn't allow for that. Cameron gave me what I was looking for. Happy Feet did the same thing - when the penguins were sliding down impossibly high slopes at impossible speeds, Miller had his "camera" right there with them, and it was an exhilarating visual experience. I think that for 100 years filmmakers have been struggling against the limitations of their technology, struggling against what can be done with a real camera, and when finally, with realistic CGI, they have the ability to break free of those limitations, a critic whines that he no longer feels like he's looking at the world through a lens, well, that critic is a monumental dunce.
minstrel

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 pm

I saw Precious last night out in Peckham with a Lady. It's a good film alright, actually rather uplifting and positive, it's selling the human spirit amongst all the ghastly dark ordeals this poor girl has to get through. Given the chance, she can bloom. The ending is up in the air and could go either way, we don't see what is gonna happen to Precious. It's not as harrowing or as painful to watch as JL said though.

But one thing me and my viewing partner defo agreed on (we did both like it anyway) was that the teacher. Darn girl! She hot!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I've been reading about the accusations of racism levelled at "Precious - Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire" (to give it it's full name). Primarily we see a negative picture of African american culture in American cinema, and we are also treated to the illiterate girl looking in the mirror and idealising herself as being a blonde white woman! (am I in a parallel third Reich realm?). Malcolm X would go nuts!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Yeah but those stereotypes exist for a reason, it's certainly not a racist film, most of the stereotypes are more to do with poverty than race. If anything those racist film comments are racist, they wouldn't be saying the same thing if it was a fåt ugly poor white girl who's been raped by her father since she was four looking in the mirror and dreaming of being a white beauty queen type.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:46 pm

John-Locke wrote:Yeah but those stereotypes exist for a reason, it's certainly not a racist film, most of the stereotypes are more to do with poverty than race. If anything those racist film comments are racist, they wouldn't be saying the same thing if it was a fåt ugly poor white girl who's been raped by her father since she was four looking in the mirror and dreaming of being a white beauty queen type.

Yeah, it's a tricky one, i'm of the opinion that if this wasn't the ONLY mainstream film to solely portray African American culture then your comment would apply, (and also if that ugly white girl woulddream of being Black in a black dominant society, whereas Precious is mainly shown in the film's dream sequences as herself in her dreams, (but there is that scene where she wishes she was a blonde white woman. again it is the ONLY mainstream film to solely portray African American culture, and in such isolation, it sucks. There should be a rich vein of African American film and portrayal, a rounded portrait. For some folks, this may be their only exposure to African American culture and what impression do you think they are gonna be left with? It's not a positive one. Racism is as strong today as ever, and this film, as good as it might be, is only gonna confirm a lot of peoples already preconceived perceptions.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:59 pm

I think I read somewhere that the Director didn't really make the film for the benefit of non-African Americans (although clearly not solely for African Americans either), he wanted to show the story in a way that black people could relate to, eating Pigs feet is tradition for a lot of African Americans, Black people the world over tend to like Fried Chicken a little bit more than the next non Black person, using these so called derogatory stereotypes is not even slightly racist in the context of the film.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am

John-Locke wrote:I think I read somewhere that the Director didn't really make the film for the benefit of non-African Americans (although clearly not solely for African Americans either), he wanted to show the story in a way that black people could relate to, eating Pigs feet is tradition for a lot of African Americans, Black people the world over tend to like Fried Chicken a little bit more than the next non Black person, using these so called derogatory stereotypes is not even slightly racist in the context of the film.

I didn't have any problem with the stereotypes as such, it was more the portrayal of African American culture as abusive and backward that raised issues, as well as that ONE specific scene involving the mirror. If I had to really analyse it, the only thing I could come away with, as a viewer, is that minorities have to conform to the dominant society in order to escape poverty. As a portrayal of poverty in American I can really praise the movie, cos normally American TV series and such only focused on middle class or upper middle class black folk, barring the most excellent "The Wire" of course and "The Wire" succeeded cos it presented a rounded picture.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 am

John-Locke wrote: If anything those racist film comments are racist, they wouldn't be saying the same thing if it was a fåt ugly poor white girl who's been raped by her father since she was four looking in the mirror and dreaming of being a white beauty queen type.

That sentence doesn't seem to make much sense. Naturally if the race doesn't change during an escapist fantasy nobody would call it racist.

Not having seen the movie my guess would be that it depends ifher fantasy is more geared towards looks or social status
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 am

I think the fact all the people who help Precious are light skinned whereas her abusers are dark skinned is what makes it racist.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:03 am

I've been to farking Peckham!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 am

TonyWilson wrote:A Prophet has to be one of the best overlooked films of the last five years, it won the runners up at Cannes and that's it. For film that is so relevant and so extraordinarily well made that's a travesty.

Going to see this on Saturday!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:A Prophet has to be one of the best overlooked films of the last five years, it won the runners up at Cannes and that's it. For film that is so relevant and so extraordinarily well made that's a travesty.

They said this film is a hit financially as it made over $54 million US box office but only cost £33 milly.

But when they adjusted the 54 milly against the cost to screen this film also in 3D which cost an extra $22 million, bringing the total budget to $55 million, they realised that the $54 million gross - was a false Prophet.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:

My favorite film so far this year.

Enjoy!
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Honest Movie Posters: Oscars 2010:

http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1802286
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:02 pm

That's pretty funny, I think the Up one might be my favorite.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Suck it Dreamworks!

I kind of like White Lady Saves the Day
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:15 pm

It's less funny when they're picking on genuinely awesome movies like District 9 and Inglourious Basterds. And "Up Yours Dreamworks" might have been funnier.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby DaleTremont on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:56 pm

I am with Pacino's aforementioned love for Inglourious Basterds. It deserves to win Best Picture and Tarantino deserves to win Best Director. But if I can't have that, I'll be happy as long as "Up in the Air" gets NOTHING.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Seppuku wrote:It's less funny when they're picking on genuinely awesome movies like District 9 and Inglourious Basterds.

Yeah, I can understand that sentiment. Even though they're going for the equal-opportunity boosh, ragging IB for its subtitles seems unfair. Still, I thought "PETER JACKSON has nothing to do with this movie, but you haven't heard of NEILL BLOMKAMP" was pretty funny.

Seppuku wrote:And "Up Yours Dreamworks" might have been funnier.

IPAMPILASH!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:49 am

DaleTremont wrote:I am with Pacino's aforementioned love for Inglourious Basterds. It deserves to win Best Picture and Tarantino deserves to win Best Director.

YAY!

But if I can't have that, I'll be happy as long as "Up in the Air" gets NOTHING.

Double YAY!!! Co-sign!! I concur!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion