The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:47 am

magicmonkey wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!


Bleh to you! I thought it was great.

Of course, I will allow that, pervy as his character may have been, my lust for Michael Fassbender might be slightly influencing my rating.


Fish Tank is really good for the first 2/3rds. Fassbender is really good in it.

Did you guys see her first film "Red Road"? How does it compare? That movie made her feel like the poor man/woman's Lynne Ramsey to me. Still reasonably good though.


It's better than Red Road but you can tell she's been loving on some Alan Clarke and Dardennes lately.


Hmmm, no bad thing. Dardennes seem a good Red Road comparison, although I've only seen Rosetta. Clark though, wow, no bad thing.


Some of her shots are straight out of his oeuvre.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:13 pm

I've only seen one Alan Clarke film but it definitely has that same feel. It also reminded me quite a bit of the kind of movie that would be part of Dogme 95. Sometimes that gritty realism in filmmaking can seem quite lazy to me, but I thought she still managed to make all of her shots really dynamic, even when it was almost all handheld.

And I kind of was down on the ending as well. Part of my issue was that I thought it was quite obvious that dude was married but then I also realized maybe it is meant to be quite obvious to all of us watching, and only reconfirms that Mia, in spite of her toughness, is still only a very young, quite naive 15 year old. And manipulative though it might have been, I have to say the part when she kidnaps his little girl certainly was a nail-biter, for me anyway.
Image
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:35 pm

DaleTremont wrote:I've only seen one Alan Clarke film but it definitely has that same feel. It also reminded me quite a bit of the kind of movie that would be part of Dogme 95. Sometimes that gritty realism in filmmaking can seem quite lazy to me, but I thought she still managed to make all of her shots really dynamic, even when it was almost all handheld.

And I kind of was down on the ending as well. Part of my issue was that I thought it was quite obvious that dude was married but then I also realized maybe it is meant to be quite obvious to all of us watching, and only reconfirms that Mia, in spite of her toughness, is still only a very young, quite naive 15 year old. And manipulative though it might have been, I have to say the part when she kidnaps his little girl certainly was a nail-biter, for me anyway.


It's more Alan Clarke, Ken Loach, Pedro Costa, Dardennes form of social realism than Dogme 95. Dogme 95 was more artificiality posing as reality where as this is more reality to point a finger at larger issues. And just because the social realists are "gritty" it doesnt mean that their shots arent super composed. They just make it feel like its off the cuff.

The ending was a nil biter but didnt really make much sense in terms of the characters motivations.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Maui wrote:Since there is so much Fassbender love in this thread and BTW

<---------------------------------- check out my AV

All I can say is you kids have fantastic taste! ;)

@Dale, if you haven't seen Hunger, you need to.

Image


First of all, I see you fixed your arrow.

Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:08 pm

My two favorite acting performances of the year came from Inglourious Basterds. Christoph Waltz and Michael Fassbender. Both kicked so much ass. I just wish Fassbender was given a more glorious death. It was sort of glazed over and happened so quickly.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
Maui wrote:Since there is so much Fassbender love in this thread and BTW

<---------------------------------- check out my AV

All I can say is you kids have fantastic taste! ;)

@Dale, if you haven't seen Hunger, you need to.

Image


First of all, I see you fixed your arrow.

Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


One of the 5 other people who actually watched Hex!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


One of the 5 other people who actually watched Hex!


Hex was awesome in the beginning. Then kinda went off the rails a bit. I'm still stunned they killed Cassie in the beginning of season 2
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


One of the 5 other people who actually watched Hex!


Hex was awesome in the beginning. Then kinda went off the rails a bit. I'm still stunned they killed Cassie in the beginning of season 2


She had better things to do =[.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


One of the 5 other people who actually watched Hex!


Hex was awesome in the beginning. Then kinda went off the rails a bit. I'm still stunned they killed Cassie in the beginning of season 2


She had better things to do =[.


Seriously? I had no idea. I caught Hex on BBC America after it was already done in the UK. I just assumed it was them pulling a major didn't-see-that-coming that US shows wouldn't have the balls to try.

edit: sorry, threadjack over...

MOVIES!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:40 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


OMG someone else who has watched HEX! Gaffney, u complete me.
Image
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


OMG someone else who has watched HEX! Gaffney, u complete me.


Hehe! Word, Dale! We're going to start a Hex fanclub soon...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:53 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


OMG someone else who has watched HEX! Gaffney, u complete me.


Hehe! Word, Dale! We're going to start a Hex fanclub soon...


All 3 of us!
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:09 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:*Julie & Julia - i LOVE Meryl Streep. they just should have made a Julia Child biography movie and had Streep channel her for two hours. plus, i should be allowed to track down the real life Julie Powell and beat her for being such an obnoxious bitch. (2/5)


I've been reading the Julie and Julia book by Powell, she's an even bigger bitch in reality, Adams actually tempered her bitchiness
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Bloo wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:*Julie & Julia - i LOVE Meryl Streep. they just should have made a Julia Child biography movie and had Streep channel her for two hours. plus, i should be allowed to track down the real life Julie Powell and beat her for being such an obnoxious bitch. (2/5)


I've been reading the Julie and Julia book by Powell, she's an even bigger bitch in reality, Adams actually tempered her bitchiness


Ouch!

I'm quite fond of Amy Adams, so I figured something must be up with this Powell for her to be totally unlikable in the movie.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:56 pm

yeah it's kind of amazing how much of a bitch she comes across in the book as

you all know I'm a Republican, but I usually don't care if someone insults or makes fun of my political party it's part of it. But she is constantly dogging on her bosses and the Republican party and is very "woe is me" and then she has all these breakdowns and whines about her friends not coming over and eating and it's all just really annoying
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:06 pm

She sounds like a lovely person.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9926
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:47 pm

FUXXXAAAKE IF I LOOK AT THAT SIG PIC OF TINA FEY ONE MORE TIME I'M GONNA FREAK OUT SO MUCH MY ASS IS GONNA EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16623
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:54 pm

I can't argue with that.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9926
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:07 pm

THAT'S THE POWER OF OLEG DOGDAMMET!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16623
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Anyone seen WORLD'S GREATEST DAD? Not a bad flick. Could have done without Robin Williams' junk onscreen, but it was better than I thought it would be.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:08 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Anyone seen WORLD'S GREATEST DAD? Not a bad flick. Could have done without Robin Williams' junk onscreen, but it was better than I thought it would be.


it's on my Netflix View Instantly Que and I keep debating to watch it, but I keep decieding to watch something else, like BIG FAN
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:33 am

Bloo wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:Anyone seen WORLD'S GREATEST DAD? Not a bad flick. Could have done without Robin Williams' junk onscreen, but it was better than I thought it would be.


it's on my Netflix View Instantly Que and I keep debating to watch it, but I keep decieding to watch something else, like BIG FAN


It's pretty funny and dark as hell. I enjoyed it.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:50 pm

JL and I saw A Single Man yesterday. Really rather good film. Colin Firth most certainly deserves all the Best Actors noms going around (and probably should win them).

There were a few heavy-handed moments - the director kept ramping up and down the colour saturation; there was some great use of high-speed photography, then some pointless slow-mo; some weird photoshop-esqe sharpening in a few shots (I think the director just went a bit crazy on Avid one day, but then it is apparently his first film so he overall did a good job.)

PS - We don't have a dedicated thread for the film, as far as search can see.

PPS - The cinema we saw the film in - Odeon Covent Garden - had an annoying fire exit sign in the field of view of the screen. This is against the Good Cinema Manifesto.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13931
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:42 pm

Fried Gold wrote:JL and I saw A Single Man yesterday. Really rather good film. Colin Firth most certainly deserves all the Best Actors noms going around (and probably should win them).

There were a few heavy-handed moments - the director kept ramping up and down the colour saturation; there was some great use of high-speed photography, then some pointless slow-mo; some weird photoshop-esqe sharpening in a few shots (I think the director just went a bit crazy on Avid one day, but then it is apparently his first film so he overall did a good job.)

PS - We don't have a dedicated thread for the film, as far as search can see.

PPS - The cinema we saw the film in - Odeon Covent Garden - had an annoying fire exit sign in the field of view of the screen. This is against the Good Cinema Manifesto.


man I've been wanting to watch that and Crazy Heart but the chances of seeing it before it hits DVD are slim and none (espically considering the small Kansas town I live in)
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Maui on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Fried Gold wrote:JL and I saw A Single Man yesterday. Really rather good film. Colin Firth most certainly deserves all the Best Actors noms going around (and probably should win them).


Glad you liked it FG. This was Ford's directorial debut and I thought he did a splendid job of capturing Christopher Isherwood's story (which is also Ford's favourite novel). I really want to see Colin Firth win the Oscar. I've seen all the performances by each actor in the 'best' category and Firth is the most deserving of this award.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7616
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Just saw Idiocracy for the first time. Anyone else like this? Here are my thoughts.

17. Idiocracy - Not an instant classic like Office Space, but this was better than I expected. Probably my favorite Luke Wilson performance, and it proves one again that Terry Crews should be getting more work. President Camacho kicked ass. For a movie about a bunch of retards, Judge did some clever stuff here. 7/10
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:10 am

I love Idiocracy! If it has one flaw, then it's that the last act prety much that kind of entertainment, that Mike Judge tried to critisize. (I'm not saying that it's not funny!) But at least the movie is short enough to not wear out its welcome (Right, Mr Apatow? You see how you have do it?).
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:56 pm

It's been awhile since I've seen three movies in a day, but I was sick this Sunday, so I just sat in front of the TV and saw:


20:
18. MONSTERS INC. - One of the overlooked Pixar films, in my opinion. I think it's one of their stronger efforts. I just like the idea of there being an entire world of monsters out there beyond your closet. - 8/10.

19. LITTLE GIANTS - A cutesy little football movie. I saw it when I was young, and I have to admit, I thought the brotherly rivalry between Moranis and Al Bundy seemed quite authentic. But some of this is really stupid. But it's a good movie for kids, and if you missed the moral, they bring in John Madden and Emmitt Smith to make it really obvious. But how come the Cowboys are always the bad guys in football movies? 6/10.

20. JURASSIC PARK 3 - I really think that this could have been so much better. The tone seemed a bit off. The t-rex and bigger dino fight should have been longer. And I'm sort of mad that the t-rex wasn't the main baddy anyway. That new thing seemed almost too sci-fi-ish to me. A stronger ending would have sealed the deal as a solid sequel, but all of a sudden, the US Army and Navy show up on the beach. The end. It's like the production ran out of funding. 6/10.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Added Solomon Kane and Alice 3D.

Solomon Kane - pretty good actually

Alice 3D - meh
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13931
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 am

***SPOILER ALERT***

The only film released in 2010 I've seen so far is "Cop Out."
It was moderately amusing, and not over the top offensive, but it isn't going to be impressing anyone.
I don't think Tracy Morgan and Bruce Willis had much in the way of chemistry, and I thought Morgan was a bit more focused and "into" it than Willis. Bruce kind of acted like he was just along for the ride. The plot was pretty good (involving a Mexican drug lord, a stolen Mercedes, and a kidnapped woman), and some of the support players stood out (Kevin Pollak, for one). Kevin Smith's direction was feeble. I don't think the action genre is something he's comfortable with.

However, the movie wasn't bad enough to make me feel like I was being forced to sit through it. It moved along fairly well and ended in time to keep me interested the whole way. That is about as much as I care to say about this one.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
User avatar
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Maui on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:59 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:Second of all, FUCK! He was Azazeal in Hex! I was wondering where the hell I recognized Fassbender from, considering I haven't seen Basterds.

Okay, back on topic...


OMG someone else who has watched HEX! Gaffney, u complete me.


Hehe! Word, Dale! We're going to start a Hex fanclub soon...


All 3 of us!


Make that 4. I've just finished the first season of Hex and loved it. Now onto the 2nd season.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7616
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Al Shut on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:09 pm

The olympics really put a damper on my movie watching just 9 this month

Best was Metropolis 27/10 which isn't a big surprise.

Honorable mention to the Golden Compass that I really liked, obviously much more than a) most Zoners judging from glazing through it's own thread and b) most people in the rest of the world. I wish there was a sequel.

Worst was Hepzibah, an unscary made for TV horror movie. I really need to learn to stay away from those.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Seppuku on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:12 pm

I haven't really been to the cinema that much this month- first off I'm too broke, and secondly I haven't been inspired to see anything.

I've seen a fair few movies, though.

Favourite: The Beyond, 1981, by Lucio Fulci.

Click here for one of the best Bom! Headshots caught on film (it's especially good considering this movie had fuck all budget).



I can totally understand not liking this. Technically it's not all that brilliant, but did Fulci know how to make an atmospheric film or what? Even with the insane amount of gore- necks being bitten open by dogs, people being nailed to walls Jesus-style, a woman having her face slowly melted away by a spilt jar of acid- it's the feeling of hell on Earth that gets me with this flick. And I guess a large part of that has to do with the awesome music, way better than anything Goblin ever did for Argento, and I love Goblin. I haven't seen the other two movies in the Gates of Hell trilogy- City of the Dead and House by the Cemetary- but I can't wait after seeing this.

Runner-up: Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise & Fall of Jack Johnson. Anything I say about this documentary would sound completely glib compared to KCBC's superlative review, so I'll just second his sentiments. I'd been meaning to check it out ever since I read his review, but I guess it must have gotten sidelined for 4 years.


I don't do the "Worst movie of the month" thang. I've got a pretty good instinct going in whether I'll like a movie or not, so I mostly get a really solid hit-rate out of the shit I watch.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby The Leprechaun on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:54 pm

@ al shut. Why would you like the Golden Compass for? The film is foul and boring and i have no idea what it was about. i think you find yourself in the minority there for a good reason but i suppose not everyone can have great taste hahaha.
Dohn't try an' steal me pot o' gold.
The Leprechaun
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Al Shut on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:05 pm

I can't put my finger on it, I certainly wasn't bored, there were a few problems in structure or pace or whatever but I have no clue why people don't like it. I especially liked the way every time somebody died their demon (was that the word) /soul exploded in a sparky cloud.

I guess it's true what they say, opinions are like assholes, I show off mine on the internet.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:44 am

Al Shut wrote:I can't put my finger on it, I certainly wasn't bored, there were a few problems in structure or pace or whatever but I have no clue why people don't like it. I especially liked the way every time somebody died their demon (was that the word) /soul exploded in a sparky cloud.

I guess it's true what they say, opinions are like assholes, I show off mine on the internet.


So that's why they call it an opinion poll :shock:
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:41 am

probably the best movie I saw this month, at least in theaters, was SHUTTER ISLAND.

I need to go through my full list for Feb. for an accurate best/worst

I will saw COP-OUT was easily my biggest dissapointment
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:04 am

Had a pretty good haul this month. Watched plenty of old stuff, plenty of new stuff, and plenty of old stuff that was new to me.

BEST OF FEBRUARY

THE GREAT SILENCE. Great music, great ending, great film.
A SERIOUS MAN. Some would say this is depressing. I thought it was pretty funny and I found myself identifying with the protagonist more than I'd like to admit.
BLACK DYNAMITE. "Fiendish Dr. Wu, you done fucked up now!"
HAMLET. Kenneth Branagh's film blew my ass off. Best film I saw all month.

WORST OF FEBRUARY

DUNE. Messy, messy picture.

SHOWGIRLS

This gets its own category. So bad it's good? Or is it just too good for people to handle so they assume it's bad? Naw, it's bad. But it's entertaining, so who really cares.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9926
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Maui on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 am

Best of February = Mary and Max

Worst of February = The Box

Didn't watch as much film this month largely due to the winter Olympics.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7616
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby The Leprechaun on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
Al Shut wrote:I can't put my finger on it, I certainly wasn't bored, there were a few problems in structure or pace or whatever but I have no clue why people don't like it. I especially liked the way every time somebody died their demon (was that the word) /soul exploded in a sparky cloud.

I guess it's true what they say, opinions are like assholes, I show off mine on the internet.


So that's why they call it an opinion poll :shock:


Can you change your bong picture please? To Live and Die in la is not with williem Dafoe it is with Nick nolte. have another look.
Dohn't try an' steal me pot o' gold.
The Leprechaun
TOMBOY BEANPOLE
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:12 pm

The Leprechaun wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
Al Shut wrote:I can't put my finger on it, I certainly wasn't bored, there were a few problems in structure or pace or whatever but I have no clue why people don't like it. I especially liked the way every time somebody died their demon (was that the word) /soul exploded in a sparky cloud.

I guess it's true what they say, opinions are like assholes, I show off mine on the internet.


So that's why they call it an opinion poll :shock:


Can you change your bong picture please? To Live and Die in la is not with williem Dafoe it is with Nick nolte. have another look.


Don't you have to go find your pot of gold or something?
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15841
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 pm

I lot of so-so films in February for me. I'll say the best was IDIOCRACY, and the worst was a tie between LITTLE GIANTS and JURASSIC PARK 3, although both are watchable.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:33 am

JURASSIC PARK 3 is like BLADE 3 to me in that it's no where near as good as the original but I find myself watching it as much or more then the orginal
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 pm

Bloo wrote:JURASSIC PARK 3 is like BLADE 3 to me in that it's no where near as good as the original but I find myself watching it as much or more then the orginal

The only redeeming thing about Blade 3 is Jessica Beil.
Even Ryan Reynolds wasn't nearly as cool as the guy is capable of.

JP 3...That's one of those flicks I'll watch when there is nothing else on, but I'm flipping the channels every chance I get.
As an aside...Tea Leoni is way hotter than Laura Dern, but Laura Dern looks like she could actually survive a dino-infested island. Toss up.
Image
User avatar
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy
 
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: In the GTA, bitches....

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Recommended:

Conspiracy - a BBC/HBO production about the Wannsee Conference in 1942. Kenneth Branagh, Stanley Tucci, Colin Firth.

I saw it almost a decade ago, but got to see it again this week and was reminded about just how masterful a performance it is. Almost like a stage play, It's all about the acting and the dialogue.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13931
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:37 am

I never understood the hate for Jurassic Park 3. It's by far the most entertaining of the series. LEt me explain! I'm not saying that it's better than part 1! The first movie still holds up incredibly well, not just for the FX, but also in terms of suspense and adventure. But you also gotta admit that the first 2 movies are a little bit up their own asses, with all their preachiness and their urge to be taken serious, although they are adventure movies about Dinosaurs!. Part 3 doesn't have any of these problems. It kicks into high gear very early and is neither afraid of ironizing the conventions and cliches of the series or of using dark humor. It even has a sdistic joy of letting the characters stumble from one bad situation into an even worse one, without giving them time to breath! Yes, it's seriously anticlimactic, but everything before is a lot of fun!
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:15 am

Jurassic Park 3 is not a bad film. I think the main problem some people had was that it was something of a repeat of the first two and tends not to do anything revolutionary - people go to an island, get chased by dinosaurs, some survive.

Personally, I like the second film. I think that one takes far more flak than any of the them.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13931
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:00 am

Fried Gold wrote:Jurassic Park 3 is not a bad film. I think the main problem some people had was that it was something of a repeat of the first two and tends not to do anything revolutionary - people go to an island, get chased by dinosaurs, some survive.

Personally, I like the second film. I think that one takes far more flak than any of the them.


the 2nd one isn't bad except for two things

a)the gymnastics escape from the raptors. I liked how the kid in 3 handled the Raptor threat then something out of THE PRINCESS BRIDE

and

b)the Godzilla attack on the city
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am

Bloo wrote:b)the Godzilla attack on the city

To be fair: It was the next logical step for the series. When you make a movie about Dinosaurs on an Island, you just HAVE to bring them into our world sooner or later. Especially if you plan a sequel.
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Bloo wrote:the 2nd one isn't bad except for two things

a)the gymnastics escape from the raptors.

and

b)the Godzilla attack on the city

I'll give you the first point. Although it only last for about a minute.

And as for the second point...A T-Rex walking around a city should feature in every movie.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13931
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron