The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:25 pm

POW! 140. I really managed to watch at lest one movie per day in Januar, but then it often took me weeks to even watch something on TV. Oh well, maybe in 2011.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby justcheckin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 pm

I am at 152, I still have to see 2 of them. One I have rented and the other... well the other is TRON and I am either going tomorrow or Friday.

Actually I was gonna try to down 100 zombie movies and blog about them but my life was fairly chaotic this year so I didn't get anywhere close. I don't think I could do 365 and I'm single with no kids. LOL
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:00 pm

I think I'm at 260-something. A little below last year.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:11 pm

!Spandau’s 2010 Cinematic Retrospective!

Best Film of 2010: BLACK SWAN
Exploitive and artsy at the same time. This is the best mish mash of b-movie thrills, black humour, and highminded artsy fartsiness I’ve seen in awhile. Natalie Portman stars as what sometimes may be a person in this film where I’m not sure what happened. It’s great.

Best use of a megabudget 2010: INCEPTION
This is by far the best blockbuster I’ve seen in years. Nolan takes his bereavement obsession fetish to its limits by making a movie about a dude who goes into his own brain so that he can have romantic hotel sojourns and breakfast table chats with the manifestation of his own bereavement obsession. I don’t really know where Nolan can go from here. He’ll have to make a movie set in a polygamist society so his protagonist can have ten dead wives or something. Nolan will either learn some new tricks and amaze us again, or he’ll become a parody of himself, either way I’ll be entertained.

Best sequel, prequel, or remake 2010: TOY STORY 3
This movie is prettymuch everything we go to see movies for; it’s touching, funny, and thrilling. A great end to a great series.

Best movie I didn’t see 2010: probably THE SOCIAL NETWORK
I heard this one was good. I’ll catch it on video. Travis says I SAW THE DEVIL is great and he’s pretty reliable.

Worst Film of 2010: GIALLO
Adrian Brody produces, plays two roles, and gets a third role for his girlfriend in this sub-DTV level cop movie that somebody somehow blackmailed Dario Argento into directing. The only good part is a brief flashback sequence showing Brody’s backstory where he got a glimpse of his mother’s murder as a child, years later saw a man who looked like the killer, goes and kills that guy without in any way confirming that that guy killed his mum, and then a cop who is wandering by likes his vigilante style and offers him a job on the police force and a condo in the police station basement.

Best performance by a male actor 2010: Tahar Rahim in UN PROPHETE
This guy handles a really strong character arc in this crime drama that is less focused on tired plotlines and more interested in the human drama between two men. Rahim does a great job making his character’s naiveté believable in the early scenes, and not making him become too slick or unstoppable as his confidence, status, and abilities grow.

Best performance by a female actoress 2010: Rachel Weisz in AGORA
A case of great performance in a mediocre movie. Weisz gives a great performance that holds a fine balance. Even though her character is purely academic, in love with ideas, and asexual, she still has a human warmth that doesn’t contradict the character. Shame the whole movie wasn’t as great as her acting. It’s not bad, but it’s dealing with such a heavy-handed social agenda that it’s one of those movies that needs to be great to be any good at all.

Best supporting performance by a male actor 2010: Niels Arestrup in UN PROPHETE
This guy is the other half of this great prison crime drama. I’ve seen this guy in other movies, usually playing an alcoholic loser and so it’s a blast seeing him as a confident gangster who’s more powerful behind bars than most men are walking around free.

Best supporting performance by a female actoress 2010: Mila Kunis in BLACK SWAN
The bubbly free-spirited foil to Natalie Portman’s high-strung maniac is the role that holds the movie together. Good job Kunis, your warmth is always appreciated!

Worst performance by a male actor 2010: Morpheus in PREDATOR$
Holy shit, this is true amateur hour from a guy was once considered one of America’s stronger actors. What happened man?

Worst performance by a female “actress” 2010: Jessica Alba in MACHETE
I know this was an intentional b-movie and so I’d be willing to believe that some actors would purposefully ham it up in a film like this. But if you want me to believe Alba was acting this bad on purpose you’d have to show me a time when she demonstrated the ability to act well. Dona Speir would be proud.

Biggest waste of talent 2010: Nic Cage
I was pretty disappointed with my main man, Nic Cage, this year. Coming off a career high last year with his performance in BADDER LIEUTENANT: CALL WAITING NEW ORLEANS, he really picked some dogs this year. I didn’t bother seeing THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE, but it looked pretty shit and KICK-ASS was a general waste of everybody’s time. Oh well, next year we’ve got DRIVE ANGRY and SEASON OF THE WITCHERMAN to shine up his reputation.

Best poster 2010: THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE

That’s pure badass right there. The movie was pretty good too.

Best DTV film of 2010: BLOOD AND BONE
Michael Jai White spills lots of blood and breaks lots of bones.

Best casting 2010: THE EXPENDABLES
Using all these action legends correctly is way more challenging than it looks and I’ll give Sly credit for lining these guys up with the roles that fit them so that nobody felt underused or like a distracting cameo. Oleg lives.

Comedy film of the year 2010: GET HIM TO THE GREEK
This is the only comedy film I saw this year, so it is both the best and the worst. Actually, it’s pretty funny, I had a good laugh watching it.

It’s over 2010: Edgar Wright
We had a nice first date with SHAUN OF THE DEAD. I thought he was cute and amusing, no virtuoso, but solid. We went out again with HOT FUZZ and I thought maybe he was nervous and just trying too hard to impress me, but then SCOTT PILGRIM has confirmed that it’s just not meant to be. Edgar, you seem like a nice guy, but we’re just not a smart match.

Movie that should’ve been in 3D in 2010: 127 HOURS
That way I could imagine James Franco was stuck in me.

G@yest thing I’ll say in 2010: see above

Shut it off 2010: THE KARATE KID REMAKE
This film earns the distinction as the only movie I couldn’t finish watching in 2010. I put 90% of the blame on Will Smith Jr’s performance. Jayzus, this kid was annoying. I’ve seen him in some other stuff and he didn’t bug me then, but he just went for a full mugging performance this time.

Best old movie I discovered 2010: MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE
A flawed but very enjoyable movie. If you read Roger Ebert’s review he really harps on the things that only kinda bugged me a bit. It’s an East meets West movie, but not just in it’s story, also in its style. You’ve got various British actors striving for natural human performances like how we’re used to seeing people act in Western movies; and you’ve got Japanese actors all shouting and over-acting like we’re used to in Eastern movies. Seeing these two acting styles together in the same scenes is a bit jarring, and when the directorial style also switches back and forth it makes the movie a bit weird, but also more memorable. Worth checking out.

Lifetime achievement award 2010: Danny Trejo
I liked MACHETE, it wasn’t the greatest movie ever, I’ll still watch more times over my life than half the other shit that came out this year. But I’m most proud of Danny for finally getting a lead title role in a theatrically released film. What a long proud journey it’s been. Now make a sequel that is actually like the trailer for the first film. And if you bring back Seagal you don’t have to explain how he survived. Also, find a way to get in THE EXPENDABLES 2. Congrats, bro!
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:24 pm

I think I'm going to start cataloging all the films I've seen, even if they are repeat viewings of something I had once seen.
I've probably seen 3 times the films as whats shown in my journal, but I always felt like adding films already seen previously was a bit presumptuous and only served to "pad" the overall count.

But I've noticed a trend recently where I am comparing films to one another and I tend to go back and rewatch the ones I'm comparing to just to see if my original thoughts held water...

So for 2011, it's the year of the film.

Viva la' ZONER!

And Spandau...You realllllly make me miss the Zonies my friend.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:36 am

Nachokoolaid's 2010, End of the Year Wrap-Up Thingy

BEST FILM of 2010

INCEPTION

Here's what I had to say just a couple of days ago when I caught it again on Blu Ray:

76. INCEPTION - Damn, Nolan is such a genius filmmaker, and it's evident in how I enjoyed this much more the second time viewing it. It was as if I wasn't concerned with who was dreaming or what, and I just let it all wash over me. I love a film that is open to interpretation, and after a second watch, I think I've come to nearly the exact opposite interpretation that I had upon a first viewing. And that's why this film is special. 10/10.

This is how you make a blockbuster. Yeah it took a shitload of cash to make this, but you see it there on the screen, and it totally works. Look at how many other films fail with that much cash. Inception was also the first blockbuster in a while that made me think, and that was nice to experience.

WORST FILM of 2010

OVER HER DEAD BODY

Bleh. Paul Rudd, you should be ashamed. The only good thing was that this ended Eva Longoria's film career before it ever really started. Romantic comedies suck, usually. This is a prime example. It didn't know whether it was a comedy or a ghost story. Terrible.

BEST SEQUEL in 2010

TOY STORY 3

This is nearly a perfect film. When I first saw it, I hoped that it would be up for the Best Picture Oscar, and I still hope that. It is my third favorite film of the year, and it's more proof that the boys at Pixar sold their souls to Satan.

Most ASS KICKED in a film in 2010

MACHETE

While Expendables was really cool, it fell a bit short for me in terms of what I like to call the "Oh shit" factor. However, Machete had that in spades. I'm hoping Trejo is in Expendables 2. It had a certain level of camp that a film like this needs, and it was just a blast to watch with my dad. Hopefully MACHETE KILLS AGAIN isn't just some cock tease. I'd love another one of these films.

BEST SCREENPLAY in 2010

TRUE GRIT

When a writer can produce dialogue that feels completely authentic to the period... that's hard to do. But not for the Coens, apparently. The world of True Grit seems so authentic that it was very easy at times to just slip into some sort of feeling of comfort and let myself be content with the fact these were real events taking place, and they somehow found some gorgeously shot stock footage that's magically in color. Yeah, that sounds stupid, but the writing was that good. And while we're at it, I'll throw in a cinematography award for Deakins too. Goegeous film.

BEST CAST of 2010

TRUE GRIT

Yeah, it almost feels like sacrilege not to give this to the Expendables, but the cast of True Grit didn't have a weak link. Everyone brought their A game, especially the two leads. But even actors who sometimes give shaky work (like you, Mr. Barry Pepper), were especially good in this. Bridges for best actor again? He deserves it.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT of 2010

THE LOVELY BONES

PJ, what the fuck?! Based of Heavenly Creatures, I thought Jackson was going to knock this out of the park, but he struck out big time. Only two scenes in the entire film even work for me. It's hard to pinpoint exactly the problems, but the script is a good place to start. Some characters disappear for entire chunks of the film. But the casting of the film was off too. Tucci was good, and that was about it. Uh, Alice Sebold gave Jackson a gift, and he shat on it. I hope he gets back to making good films with THE HOBBIT so I can get this bad taste out of my mouth.

BIGGEST SURPRISE of 2010

I saw two older films that were excellent. The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was an awesome film. For me, it was Gilliam's best work since 12 Monkeys. Sad that Ledger had to die, but his death actually strengthened the film. I thought the multiple Tonys was a great idea, and something that wouldn't have happened if Ledger had been around. But Christopher Plummer was kickass in this. The best "over 70" acting job I've seen in a while. Almost won the best cast award from me, but Verne Troyer sunk that ship.

The other older film I saw that was kickass was Eastern Promises. Let's put this out there right now, Armin Mueller-Stahl should have fucking won the Oscar that year for best supporting Actor. Holy shit. That was a virtuoso performance. The best mafioso ever captured on film, rivaling Brando's, for sure. It was so subtle and underplayed. Great acting job. But Viggo was also really strong. Probably Cronenberg's best film, and I mean that 100%.

So in conclusion...

2010 will be remembered for (my sort of Top 5, if you want to put a name on it)

1. Inception
2. True Grit
3. Toy Story 3
4. Machete
5. The Expendables

(It should be noted that I missed a couple of big releases, like THE FIGHTER, and THE SOCIAL NETWORK, which may or may not have ended up on this list somewhere).
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:49 am

Excellent list, Nacho. Oleg would be proud. I skipped LOVELY BONES even though I think HEAVENLY CREATURES is perfection.

Bayou, thanks for the props, mate!
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:09 pm

that's a solid list Nacho, I can't find a weak link in there. I might not agree with the inclusion of MACHETE but I can't argue it either.

Your thoughts on True Grit made me remember something that I noticed in the movie and that was how few contractions there were in the film bringing almost a clipped delivery from Bridges that I thought just made the film feel more real because it wasn't something we're used to hearing
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:14 pm

Yeah, the lack of contractions was a stylistic choice made by Charles Portis in the book and I think it translated well to the film and gave the dialogue a nice rhythm.

"I do not know this man."

Not in the book, but hilarious.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Al Shut on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:40 pm

After doing a review of my journal, changing a lot of the votes and adding half points I'll try a wrap up too.

Overall count:132 More than two a week, not bad

Best: Narrowed down to five, in no order

A Prairie Home Companion
Metropolis
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Strings
Vals Im Bashir

Worst: Maybe not actually the worst but some movies have the tendencies to do something that annoys me and than turn that up to eleven, oftentimes at the very moment I'm thinking about how much it annoys me. The paranoid feeling that these movies are actively trying to piss me off makes me hate more than any badly made low budget crapfest

Blade Trinity
Death Proof
The Mist

Best movie actually from 2010: Inception

Clearly beats the few made for TV movies that made up the 2010 competition. But if it's still my favorite in a few years time I'd be slightly disappointed.

Honorable mention: In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

The best Uwe Boll movie I've seen to date, I'd go as far as saying that it's not bad

Weirdest, most cryptic movie: Blood Tea and Red String

Favorite single scene: This probably gives an unfair advantage to movies I saw more recently but who cares.

Seeing a man completely ruined after thinking he was on top for uttering a single sentence in Ridicule.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bayouwolf on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Best film of 2010: Inception
Just an amazing film. Everything just works together and still somehow throws everything out the window.

Honorable Mention 2010: Black Swan
I would love to have given this Best film honors, but it's just not Inception...

Best Actor 2010: Jeff Bridges
Between Crazy Heart and True Grit, the guy has come into his age.

Best Actress 2010: Natalie Portman
Her journey into darkness was absolute perfection

Best soundtrack: Kick Ass
Screw you, I'm still listening to it...

Best cast: True Grit
Its been a long while since I've seen an ensemble that just clicks so effortlessly.

Best Visual Effects: Avatar
TRON: Legacy can suck it.

Best score: Inception
It's simple and yet it's complex. And I'm still using that stupid BWAAAHHHHHHHMMM sound bite for all kinds of things

Film that should be up for more awards but isn't: The Runaways
Dakota Fanning surprised the hell out of me in this. Finally breaking free of her "shriek in tones that would destroy a dogs hearing" phase.

Most fun I had at the theater in 2010: Avatar
I was overjoyed in IMAX glory

Best Film seen in 2010 that was not released in 2010: The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassas
I can't believe I missed this when it was in wide release. Commence the kicking of thyself...

Netflix comes through for me 2010: The Good, The Bad, and the Weird
I fully intend to watch a lot more foreign cinema thanks to films like this and Ip Man

Worst Film 2010: The Human Centipede: First Sequence
There are not enough words in all of human history to show my disgust of this shitfest.

Dark Horse 2010: How to Train Your Dragon
I had no idea Dreamworks had it in them. Toy Story 3, this is what you should have been.

Film I almost walked out of: Alice in Wonderland
This could have very well have been The Book of Eli, but dammit Gary Oldman...I don't know how to quit you!
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Bayou, I'd have a feeling we'd get along very well in real life.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:14 am

So I close my 2010 movie journal with 144 movies. The last one was TOY STORY 3, which was too much of a re-hash of the first two to me, to make me really LOVE it.

All in all I can say that my favourite watched movie of 2010 was without a doubt CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS (Which even was a 2010 release in this country!), while the least favourite one was the original CLASH OF THE TITANS.

Don't have to say anything else about 2010, that I haven't said before.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:25 am

Bayouwolf, thanks for reminding me that I wanted to see THE RUNAWAYS. I'd forgotten about that one.

I saw Joan Jett in concert over the summer and was really impressed. I've never really put on her music, but her show kinda sold me on her and I now do consciously make a choice to play it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bayouwolf on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Bayou, I'd have a feeling we'd get along very well in real life.

Agreed...And I'm sure I'll be coming soon to a theater near you, if I haven't been there already.

Spandau Belly wrote:Bayouwolf, thanks for reminding me that I wanted to see THE RUNAWAYS. I'd forgotten about that one.

It's a great little film. A little bit revisionist, but rock and roll ain't an exact science. I said it before, and I'll say it again...The chick who plays Lita Ford is CREEPY similar to her when she was at that age.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Bloo on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:37 pm

I've got the Runaways, and I've watched about 30 mins of it, I might have to revisit it. I fall asleep right around the spot where Dakota Fanning was doing the try out in the old crappy mother home
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:29 am

I'm a bit disappointed in my self. I started the year off good with dozens of new titles, then my watching kinda faded. Oh sure, I watched movies, quite a bit, but i focused a lot on my go to's or guilty pleasures. I think that watching more TV shows this year also brought down my viewing. I also did watch Scott Pilgrim vs the World 14 times to.. so yeah.

My resolution this year is to watch more films I haven't seen. Be it new releases or shit I've just never watched.

Well see around November how bad I'll do at this.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion