The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Seppuku wrote:
Peven wrote:Tropic Thunder- to top it off, i nominate Downey Jr for doing the worst, laziest fucking commentary i have ever heard. listen asshole,if you don't want to do the commentary then don't show up to do it, but don't do it and toally fucking mail it in, because then you are insulting me, the viewer, who paid for this dvd, you arrogant smug dick.


Huh?! Phoning in a commentary is either a) pointlessly describing the scene the viewer is watching, as if they imagine that only blind film fans listen to commentaries (i.e. Michael Mann), or b) barely saying anything at all (i.e. 85% of commentaries). Downey did neither. His commentary w/ Stiller and Black was arguably funnier than the movie itself. I especially loved how he turned up the Albert Hallisms whenever Stiller tried to get all serious and directory; the latter had to just give up and ride Downey's inspired trip after a while. If you didn't find the joke funny, that's fair enough, but RDJ more than delivered on that "Man, I don't drop character 'till I done the DVD commentary" line.


Anyway, I'll start up my journal just as soon as I actually watch my first movie of the year...


see, i disagree. by doing his character the whole time, and not even really participating all that much, he doesn't have to put any of himself "out there",he plays it safe and lazy, he gets to stay nice and masked, sets the character on auto-pilot, and didn't contribute anything to the commentary but a big, "fuck you, i'm too important to be real here" to the audience

and you seem to mock Stiller for actually caring about a movie he made. yeah, what a goof, giving a shit about his work, he sure does deserve someone who got a paycheck off of him being an uncooperative dick. Downey jr is so much cooler for jacking off his own ego
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14719
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:30 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Spork (Should Not Exist)

Death Becomes Her


Veto! And I mean that literally. Go watch it again until you change your opinion.


Maui wrote:Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging 3.5/5 From the dude that brought us Bend it like Beckham. I rather enjoyed this coming of age flick.


Dude, that's not a dude. Just saying.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:35 pm

Al Shut wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Spork (Should Not Exist)

Death Becomes Her


Veto! And I mean that literally. Go watch it again until you change your opinion.


Yeah ok the spork categorization was a little harsh. I don't think it shouldn't exist. But I thought the concept was pretty cool, the cast was fantastic...I mean it had such potential for brilliance, but it was squandered away on typical catty hysterics and campy effects.
Image
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:I just want to nominate Seppuku's journal entry for a zonie (the cultural awareness one).


Seconded, Seppuku's a genius!


Trust me, there was no way in hell I was gonna follow suit with KCBC and write 1000+ word essays on every smegging movie I see this year. Making no sense is way easier than doing what Der Lang and Co. are doing.


And I recently rewatched Death Becomes Her on TV for the first time in about fifteen years (for some reason that movie followed me around like a shadow when I was younger. I must have seen it about 20 times). I think I prefer So I Married an Axe Murderer so far as that sort of thing goes. It was nice to be reminded of Willis at the end of his post-Moonlighting flush where he hadn't inundated the world with so many craggy, silent types that he could pull off a hapless mad scientist role. I guess it was going for a sort of Grand Guignol, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane/Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte kind of vibe...and maybe it pulled off. For me though, watching it this time, it just came off as a couple of really annoying Hollyharlots trying to outstage each other. Not fun.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Maui wrote:Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging 3.5/5 From the dude that brought us Bend it like Beckham. I rather enjoyed this coming of age flick.


Yeh, me too. Don't tell anyone though.


Shit :oops: .
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:01 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
Al Shut wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Spork (Should Not Exist)

Death Becomes Her


Veto! And I mean that literally. Go watch it again until you change your opinion.


Yeah ok the spork categorization was a little harsh. I don't think it shouldn't exist. But I thought the concept was pretty cool, the cast was fantastic...I mean it had such potential for brilliance, but it was squandered away on typical catty hysterics and campy effects.


That movie should definately not exist.

Picture the scene; it's 1992 and a young magicmonkey and friends go to the movie theatre. They are under the age of 18 and yet this potentially badass flick by Coppola has just come out, it stars Gary "fucking" Oldman, and promises, awesomeness. Needless to say, said bunch of friends, this band of brothers (and sisters) are excited to see "Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula". They bought tickets for a PG flick, the sly foxes, hoping to outwit the worker drones. Multiplexes were a brand new phenomenon to the north of England, and staff wise, the management were making cuts for max profits, so we easily went into the "wrong" theatre room and took our central position seats. Excitement levels were bubbling over with geek horror fervour, THIS WAS FUCKING IT, our first 18 cert flick! Get in. But, there was a shadow at the back of the room, it hung about, suspicious, like a death eater. We all noticed it and froze in fear as it slowly approached our row. The comfy, blue spongy seats offered us no shelter however, and the beast approached, asking to see our tickets. A friends handed theirs over. Time passed. Time enough for a lingering close up of each of our faces, our young, and vibrant souls slowly evaporating.
In fact it was time enough to begin to hope of a freaky, hand of god, ticket changing, miraculous reprieve, surely no one could take that long to read a ticket - but it was dark in there. We got thrown out. Apparently one of our number was heard bragging about our plan in the toilets by a bog scrubber, who, incensed by our deviousness and its potential threat to the well being of society got us thrown out, and ultimately thrust into the open arms of what our tickets were truly for ;"Death Becomes Her".

The pain has yet to subside. That movie sucked hard. If that day taught me anything, anything, it was to fight the power that be.


Postscript.

We went the following week, got in no probs. The movie was pretty wank too, but nowhere near as dire as Death Becomes Her, which truly did scar my young psyche! No way, should kids of any age , nor frankly anybody, be exposed to that abomination of a movie. 2001 is boring? You have no fuckin clue.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 pm

If you and your friends were too stupid to sneak into an 18 cert movie, then you deserve what you got. Death Becomes YOU.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:09 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:If you and your friends were too stupid to sneak into an 18 cert movie, then you deserve what you got. Death Becomes YOU.



Postscript.

We went the following week, got in no probs. The movie was pretty wank too, but nowhere near as dire as Death Becomes Her, which truly did scar my young psyche! No way, should kids of any age , nor frankly anybody, be exposed to that abomination of a movie. 2001 is boring? You have no fuckin clue.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:13 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:If you and your friends were too stupid to sneak into an 18 cert movie, then you deserve what you got. Death Becomes YOU.


To be fair, the English public can be a bunch of spoilsports when it comes to things like kids sneaking into movies. I was in the cinema the other day watching some 18 action movie (can't have been that good or memorably gory, as I've totally forgotten what it was), when some 12 year olds came through the door about 10 minutes in. Three uptight douchebags immediately got up to tattle on them, even though they weren't making any noise or anything. While they were gone I told the kids to hide under the seats next to me at the back. Well when the neighbourhood watch came back along with the ushers, they instantly found them next to me because another cinemagoer said I'd told them to hide there. I wasn't kicked out or anything, but I was totally appalled at what a bunch of Prickish Cunts people can be sometimes.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Maui on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Maui wrote:Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging 3.5/5 From the dude that brought us Bend it like Beckham. I rather enjoyed this coming of age flick.


Yeh, me too. Don't tell anyone though.


Shit :oops: .


Hah!

PJ parties with score cards for body parts? A kissing tutor? Super cute film.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7616
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:40 am

Seppuku wrote:Trust me, there was no way in hell I was gonna follow suit with KCBC and write 1000+ word essays on every smegging movie I see this year. Making no sense is way easier than doing what Der Lang and Co. are doing.


I didn't even plan to do what I did. Originally I just wanted to write 1 or 2 sentences to each movie and a rating (That's why my Clerks "review" is so short) and to be honest, i still want to. But for any reason I end up with more than 1 or 2 sentences every, single time! :P
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:
Seppuku wrote:Trust me, there was no way in hell I was gonna follow suit with KCBC and write 1000+ word essays on every smegging movie I see this year. Making no sense is way easier than doing what Der Lang and Co. are doing.


I didn't even plan to do what I did. Originally I just wanted to write 1 or 2 sentences to each movie and a rating (That's why my Clerks "review" is so short) and to be honest, i still want to. But for any reason I end up with more than 1 or 2 sentences every, single time! :P


The worst thing with those Japanese translations is that they DO kinda make sense! Well... its like odd, beat poetry or something sense (it also helps if you already know the movie they are talking about). Hilarious.

@DerLanghaarige, kinda like me, I didn't intend to go all one sentence, but it seems the twitterati got the better of me, I found myself going back and shortening them on occasion too.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:46 am

magicmonkey wrote:The worst thing with those Japanese translations is that they DO kinda make sense! Well... its like odd, beat poetry or something sense (it also helps if you already know the movie they are talking about). Hilarious.


You know, now that you put it like that, it really is kind of genius! William Burroughs used to write a whole page of lucid, sensible writing, which he'd then cut into four squares and then rearrange. He said he did it because it was his way of bucking destiny (or something). And then there's Brian Eno's "oblique strategies," which were words randomly placed next to each other because of the sound they made together. I guess, going by Burroughs' logic, I'm not just bucking destiny, I'm kicking it in the balls with my hindlegs, too. Sweet... OK, I'm kinda taking the piss, but it has made for some pretty interesting phrases. My favourites are: "no human is a normal thing with the camera eye looking onto it" and "Bruce Willis hairs backwards."
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:57 am

Seppuku wrote:And then there's Brian Eno's "oblique strategies," which were words randomly placed next to each other because of the sound they made together.


Neil Gaiman has a Brian Eno "oblique strategies deck" and loves it. I had never heard of it until he started talking about it a while back...
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 am

Seppuku wrote:"Bruce Willis hairs backwards."


YES! I'd heard of the Burroughs paper cutting techniques, its a pretty commonly applied technique I feel nowadays. Bucking destiny. I like it, but as a theory I find it flawed: Cosmically.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 am

Seppuku wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:The worst thing with those Japanese translations is that they DO kinda make sense! Well... its like odd, beat poetry or something sense (it also helps if you already know the movie they are talking about). Hilarious.


You know, now that you put it like that, it really is kind of genius! William Burroughs used to write a whole page of lucid, sensible writing, which he'd then cut into four squares and then rearrange. He said he did it because it was his way of bucking destiny (or something). And then there's Brian Eno's "oblique strategies," which were words randomly placed next to each other because of the sound they made together. I guess, going by Burroughs' logic, I'm not just bucking destiny, I'm kicking it in the balls with my hindlegs, too. Sweet... OK, I'm kinda taking the piss, but it has made for some pretty interesting phrases. My favourites are: "no human is a normal thing with the camera eye looking onto it" and "Bruce Willis hairs backwards."



dude, the chicks on facebook have been doing this all week.....seriously........exactly what you are talking about.....like thousands upon thousands of women.....as part of some little note-passing thingy that goes on there.........just thought i would fill you in
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14719
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Seppuku on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 am

Peven wrote:
Seppuku wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:The worst thing with those Japanese translations is that they DO kinda make sense! Well... its like odd, beat poetry or something sense (it also helps if you already know the movie they are talking about). Hilarious.


You know, now that you put it like that, it really is kind of genius! William Burroughs used to write a whole page of lucid, sensible writing, which he'd then cut into four squares and then rearrange. He said he did it because it was his way of bucking destiny (or something). And then there's Brian Eno's "oblique strategies," which were words randomly placed next to each other because of the sound they made together. I guess, going by Burroughs' logic, I'm not just bucking destiny, I'm kicking it in the balls with my hindlegs, too. Sweet... OK, I'm kinda taking the piss, but it has made for some pretty interesting phrases. My favourites are: "no human is a normal thing with the camera eye looking onto it" and "Bruce Willis hairs backwards."


As for the man, the chick of facebook all week thingy I entering directly there .........As a portion of the thing of which the note that you thought exactly and goes is crossed a little in the many women and their many ways ..... ..... No this is which you have expressed ..... ........ It has been made exactly serious


Say wa???


I'm just gonna do that to all your posts from now on. It makes you seem a little mixed up, but a whole lot easier to get on with.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Image
User avatar
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION
 
Posts: 7872
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:52 am
Location: Limeyland

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:53 pm

sorry to burst your originality bubble
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14719
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:49 am

What originality? Kirk has been doing posts like this for years.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Just saw WALK THE LINE. Here's what I had to say.

9. WALK THE LINE - Proof that Johnny Cash was really one of the most badass men to ever walk the planet. But also proof that he's not superman. He's absolutely flawed, and that's part of what makes him great. I wonder if Phoenix would have gotten the Oscar if Foxx didn't get it for a very similar role a year earlier. I think Phoenix was better than Witherspoon, but she wasn't bad either. But I really liked that the actors actually sang, and it just wasn't them lip synching to the greatest hits. 8/10.


What do you all think of this flick. One of the better biopics in my opinion. I think this will go down as Phoenix's best performance. What do you all think of the Oscar's that year? Does he get if if not for Foxx's win? Did Witherspoon deserve hers?
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Just saw WALK THE LINE. Here's what I had to say.

9. WALK THE LINE - Proof that Johnny Cash was really one of the most badass men to ever walk the planet. But also proof that he's not superman. He's absolutely flawed, and that's part of what makes him great. I wonder if Phoenix would have gotten the Oscar if Foxx didn't get it for a very similar role a year earlier. I think Phoenix was better than Witherspoon, but she wasn't bad either. But I really liked that the actors actually sang, and it just wasn't them lip synching to the greatest hits. 8/10.


What do you all think of this flick. One of the better biopics in my opinion. I think this will go down as Phoenix's best performance. What do you all think of the Oscar's that year? Does he get if if not for Foxx's win? Did Witherspoon deserve hers?



Phoenix is really good in James Gray's Two Lovers and We Own the Night. Both of which are fantastic movies and one of the best of their respective years.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:21 pm

I have We Own the Night on my Xbox Netflix thing, but I haven't checked it out. So it's worth seeing? I never really heard any real praise for it. It just sort of seemed to disappear.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I have We Own the Night on my Xbox Netflix thing, but I haven't checked it out. So it's worth seeing? I never really heard any real praise for it. It just sort of seemed to disappear.


It's awesome. There are some really amazing scenes it and other than that its just an good story really well told.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 am

I'm a fan of WALK THE LINE but I though there were a few too many "Johnny going crazy" scenes
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm a bigger fan of Cash than I am of Charles, but I lost myself in Ray. There were goosebump moments a plenty throughout that flick.
Something about walk the Line just didn't click the way it did for me when I saw Ray. Walk the Line is a great film, and a terrific biopic, but for me, it just wasn't the same caliber film as Ray.

Perhaps that's more because Jamie Foxx had been a long time fan of Ray's work, and I think Phoenix was just a guy they hired that could play Cash effectively.

Jamie Foxx' performance was spot on from beginning to end.
Image
User avatar
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy
 
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 pm
Location: In the GTA, bitches....

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Peven wrote:Hancock-there are some movies that i really anticipate seeing but, if i am not able to see the opening weekend, i don't see for a long time because of all the very opinionated talk surrounding it and that just gets in the way. "Hancock" was one of those movies. i had really looked forward to it and then people just started eviscerating it when it came out. so i had held off watching it. until last night. and I really dug it. i guess i should confess i don't have anything against Will Smith, even though i couldn't stand stand his tv show. but anyway, i really enjoyed the movie, could have used a little work in the 3rd act, sure, but i actually got a kick out of the very ending, embracing the outrageous idea of a "superbeing" fully. 8/10


Yesssss, somebody else likes Hancock! The unofficial fanclub has now three members!
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:22 pm

4 members
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
User avatar
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow
 
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:45 am
Location: A Drained Swimming Pool

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Peven wrote:i guess i should confess i don't have anything against Will Smith, even though i couldn't stand stand his tv show.


What? You don't like the blacks moving in with rich, high society? Did you hate "Diff'rent Strokes" as well?

:lol:

:wink:
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:30 pm

I dont remember the end of Hancock. By then my eyes had rolled so far around all I could watch was my brain punching itself for making me go see the damn movie. :lol:
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:02 am

wow, I need to do a count but I saw a shitload this month

STAR OF THE MONTH--Jesse Eisenberg. I saw 3 movies with him in it this month, all 3 pretty good.

BEST FILM (New to me)--tough call, but I think I'm going with MOON but man there were some good ones including BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF, AVATAR, & LE SAMOURI

BEST FILM (Hitchcock Collection)-- SHADOW OF A DOUBT with ROPE tailing close behind

BEST FILM (previously viewed)--DIE HARD a movie I perfer thismuchmore then LETHAL WEAPON

WORST MOVIE--hands down without question SUMMER CATCH

enjoyed this month quite a bit, good movie karma to start the year off with
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Al Shut on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 am

Movies viewed: 15 including some stuff I would have avoided if I hadn't made a resolution to watch more movies

Best: easily A Prairie Home Companion. The music alone puts it above everything else but it's not the only thing it has to offer.


Worst: I know I put BloodRayne 2 one category below the others on my list but depending on mood and perspective one could argue that any of the following four is slightly worse than the other so I'll make it a four way tie: Hui Buh , Die Wilden Kerle , BloodRayne ,BloodRayne II Deliverance

Note that all of the four somehow escaped my lowest rating of 0 points indicating absolute hate
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Bloo on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:29 pm

A Praire Home Companion is good soup, just a flat out great movie
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Maui on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Best of JANUARY: The White Ribbon

Worst of JANUARY: The Lovely Bones
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7616
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Best of January: Moon (with District 9 a close second)

Worst of January: Extract (with 4 Christmases a close second)
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:34 pm

didn't see nearly as many movies as i hoped i would this month....


Best of January- District 9

Worst of January- District B13
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14719
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:41 pm

I only saw two new movies this month and a couple that were new to me.

BEST OF JANUARY


MOON. Sam Rockwell knocks it out of the park with this one. And GERTY might be the best slightly creepy robot friend on film ever.
REVOLUTIONARY ROAD. This is probably the best I've seen Leonardo DiCaprio. This story of a shit marriage on the rocks may depress some, but it had me laughing my ass off. "I'm glad I'm not gonna be that kid." Good stuff. Regret not seeing it in the theater.
THE BOOK OF ELI. Post-apocalyptic Bible-thumping samurai Denzel Washington fucks up Dracula's shit and delivers wisdom/beatdowns. People seem divided on this one. I loved it.
WOLF. I rediscovered this one on Encore last night. Jack Nicholson is perfectly fucking cast as a book editor/werewolf/shoe-pisser. Great old school score by Ennio Morricone. Take out the f-bombs and shoot this cocksucker in black and white and it's like watching an old timey wolfman picture.

WORST OF JANUARY

JINGLE ALL THE WAY. Okay, I actually liked this more than I thought I would considering I hadn't seen it since I was ten and I used to like 3 NINJAS. But this movie is pretty goddamn lousy with some disturbing undertones that would've worked better had this been more of a dark comedy instead of a "family" movie. Arnold strikes karate poses, though.

HONORABLE MENTION

EDGE OF DARKNESS. I'd give the film about 3 1/2 out of 5. A solid, enjoyable film with a few brutal moments of violence. Not a bad film at all, but not good enough to be one of the best I saw this month. However, it's great to see Mel acting again. Crazy motherfucker has still got it.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9926
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Al Shut on Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:29 am

Peven wrote:Worst of January- District B13


That sound a bit harsh for a movie that's basically a vehicle for some outrageous stunts.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Peven wrote:Worst of January- District B13


That sound a bit harsh for a movie that's basically a vehicle for some outrageous stunts.


eh, it was released as a feature, a movie. i watched it during the month of January. it was the worst movie i watched that month. ergo, Worst of January. and it WAS a piece of shit movie, groovy jumping around stunts or not
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14719
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Best of January:
District 9
Fish Tank

Worst of:
Funny People
Image
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:33 pm

DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!
Image
User avatar
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER
 
Posts: 12365
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:49 am
Location: Unknown

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby DaleTremont on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:38 pm

John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!


Bleh to you! I thought it was great.

Of course, I will allow that, pervy as his character may have been, my lust for Michael Fassbender might be slightly influencing my rating.
Image
User avatar
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am
Location: Москва, bitches!

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!


Bleh to you! I thought it was great.

Of course, I will allow that, pervy as his character may have been, my lust for Michael Fassbender might be slightly influencing my rating.


Gypsy lover.
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16623
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:33 pm

DaleTremont wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!


Bleh to you! I thought it was great.

Of course, I will allow that, pervy as his character may have been, my lust for Michael Fassbender might be slightly influencing my rating.


Fish Tank is really good for the first 2/3rds. Fassbender is really good in it.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!


Bleh to you! I thought it was great.

Of course, I will allow that, pervy as his character may have been, my lust for Michael Fassbender might be slightly influencing my rating.


Fish Tank is really good for the first 2/3rds. Fassbender is really good in it.

Did you guys see her first film "Red Road"? How does it compare? That movie made her feel like the poor man/woman's Lynne Ramsey to me. Still reasonably good though.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Fassbender is becoming one of my favorites very quickly.

My awards for the month on JANUARY:

Even though I wasn't as nuts about it as a lot of others around here (especially Harry), but my favorite film for the month was DISTRICT 9.

The worst of the month was THE LOVELY BONES. But I'm glad to see that Tucci got an Oscar nom. I thought that was deserving. I thought his character went beyond the "obvious" perv that many people saw was too one dimensional. But overall, I thought Jackson dropped the ball on this one. Although Wahlberg gave one of his better performances, I thought.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby Maui on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Since there is so much Fassbender love in this thread and BTW

<---------------------------------- check out my AV

All I can say is you kids have fantastic taste! ;)

@Dale, if you haven't seen Hunger, you need to.

Image
Last edited by Maui on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7616
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!


Bleh to you! I thought it was great.

Of course, I will allow that, pervy as his character may have been, my lust for Michael Fassbender might be slightly influencing my rating.


Fish Tank is really good for the first 2/3rds. Fassbender is really good in it.

Did you guys see her first film "Red Road"? How does it compare? That movie made her feel like the poor man/woman's Lynne Ramsey to me. Still reasonably good though.


It's better than Red Road but you can tell she's been loving on some Alan Clarke and Dardennes lately.
User avatar
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound
 
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 pm
Location: DCish

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:13 am

Maui wrote:Since there is so much Fassbender love in this thread and BTW, check out my AV ---------------------------------->


I have the avs on the left, so your arrow points the wrong way. :(
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
User avatar
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 am
Location: lost in a book

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 am

stereosforgeeks wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
stereosforgeeks wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:
John-Locke wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:Best of January:
Fish Tank


BLEH!


Bleh to you! I thought it was great.

Of course, I will allow that, pervy as his character may have been, my lust for Michael Fassbender might be slightly influencing my rating.


Fish Tank is really good for the first 2/3rds. Fassbender is really good in it.

Did you guys see her first film "Red Road"? How does it compare? That movie made her feel like the poor man/woman's Lynne Ramsey to me. Still reasonably good though.


It's better than Red Road but you can tell she's been loving on some Alan Clarke and Dardennes lately.


Hmmm, no bad thing. Dardennes seem a good Red Road comparison, although I've only seen Rosetta. Clark though, wow, no bad thing.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Zone's 2010 Movie Journal

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
Maui wrote:Since there is so much Fassbender love in this thread and BTW, check out my AV ---------------------------------->


I have the avs on the left, so your arrow points the wrong way. :(


I was wondering why her AV looked like the side of my monitor/wall. Get thee to the phantom zone style!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron