SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 am

From Collider:
Sherlock Holmes 2 & Transformers 3 Shooting This Summer

Read more: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/01/12/ ... z0cTEtOp2K

Sherlock Holmes Spoilers

From /film August 19th, 2009: Guy Ritchie Partly Confirms Moriarty Rumors Link here:SPOILER

From Variety:
WB cues 'Sherlock' sequel

From THR:
Sherlock Holmes on a new case

Warners working on sequel; Brad Pitt in talks for Moriarty
Steven Zeitchik and Jay A. Fernandez wrote:
A "Sherlock Holmes" sequel is afoot.

Three months ahead of the release of its Robert Downey Jr. action pic, Warners is developing a new installment.

The studio is poised to bring on Kieran and Michele Mulroney, the scribes who are penning its "Justice League: Mortal" tentpole, to pen a draft of the new tale.

Brad Pitt has had discussions with producers to star as Holmes' nemesis Moriarty in the new pic, say people familiar with the project, though there is no deal in place for him to take the part.

Susan Downey, Dan Lin and Joel Silver produced "Holmes," a holiday release that, from well-received footage at Comic-Con, appeared to be an action-heavy rendition of the world Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created.

Guy Ritchie helms the pic, and Downey stars as the title character; Jude Law plays protege Watson, and Rachel McAdams stars as love interest Irene Adler. Much of the talent is expected to return in the new pic, as could Ritchie as director.

Pitt has been the subject of a litany of blog rumors as appearing in several shots of "Holmes" as Moriarty, but those familiar with the script say the character is in shadow and cannot be recognized Link here:SPOILER.

Michael Robert Johnson, Anthony Peckham, Lionel Wigram and Simon Kinberg all worked on the screenplay for the first pic, which is set in the world of Holmes but creates a new story and challenges for the iconic characters. It's unclear whether the new pic would also invent a new story or draw more from previous Conan Doyle material.

It's increasingly common for a studio to begin developing sequels ahead of a movie's release, enabling a second pic to get into production faster than it normally would, and at a comparatively low cost. Warners began pushing "The Hangover," as the movie's prerelease buzz began to grow, though did not close deals until after the movie had begun raking in boxoffice dollars.

Warners is keen on developing new franchises, with Holmes -- with its broad fan base and rich source material -- considered a very appealing candidate. The project would also mean Downey would star in a second franchise, after "Iron Man," while DreamWorks could build yet another franchise around him with "Cowboys & Aliens."

Steven Zeitchik reported from New York; Jay A. Fernandez reported from Los Angeles.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Sherlock Holmes 2

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:43 am

bump
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:33 am

Don't think I care for the idea of-(is this seriously a spoiler?)-Pitt as Moriarty. It isn't just his age that bothers me it's... buying him as the "Napoleon of Crime".Sure he could pull off a spin on the character as someone charming and with a charisma capable of manipulation,but not so much as a brilliant strategist. You know what would truly be delicious? If they could get Hugh Laurie. Failing that bit of personal dream casting, maybe Jason Isaacs,or Christoph Waltz (even though I haven't seen Inglourious Basterds yet,I like his look).

I hope McAdams steps up her game this time.She made me wish for someone like Eva Green.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 am

I would like to see Alan Rickman or Michael Cain as Moriarity. It would be nice if the guy playing him was older than Robert Downey Jr. and British.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Either of them would be great.
Caine didn't even come to mind,but I just assumed Rickman would be busy with Potter,The Villa Golitsyn,and whatever Tim Burton might be cooking up at any given time.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:48 pm

I heard that Professor Moriarty was based on some guy named Adam Worth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Worth), so maybe if they're looking for an angle on the character for the sequel they could do some research on him. Then again previous Sherlock Holmes movies have probably already done that.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:10 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:09 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:49 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:04 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:I hope McAdams steps up her game this time.She made me wish for someone like Eva Green.

I find Ritchie generally doesn't know how to handle American characters.

I've seen way better performances from McAdams. If she'd been half as snappy in Sherlock Holmes as she'd been in Mean Girls then I might have bought the dynamic between her and Holmes but she just came out all flat. Just like Piven and Ludacris did in Rocknrolla.

I think Ritchie maybe got lucky with Dennis Farina's overacting in Snatch, but even he seemed like an outsider in the movie. I just don't think Ritchie knows how to make American characters dynamic in a way that fits in his films.

I haven't seen Swept Away.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:16 am

I was really surprised and impressed by McAdams in State Of Play, she went toe to toe with Russell Crowe and held her own but she just seemed miscast against Downey being goddamn brilliant as Holmes. I still think she's a great actress and would make a fantastic Lois Lane.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 29, 2010 3:15 pm

From Variety:
WB skeds 'Holmes 2'- Film set to bow mid-December 2011
Andrew Stewart wrote:"Sherlock Holmes" will once again take on the Christmas box office.

Warner Bros. said Thursday its sleuth sequel is set to bow mid-December 2011, reuniting stars Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams.

Based on the enduring Arthur Conan Doyle character, the first "Sherlock" installment bowed last Christmas Day with $62.3 million and went on to cume $209 million domestically.

Warner intended to spur a "Sherlock" franchise, which was further bolstered when the pic took in $476.6 million worldwide.

Guy Ritchie directed the first film and is expected to helm the second. "Sherlock 2" is expected to start lensing late this summer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 pm

From Variety:
Jared Harris named 'Sherlock' Professor
Warner Bros. taps 'Mad Men' thesp for Moriarty role
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Nice, that's a great choice!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Its too perfect.... I suspect fowl play. Somewhere there is a chicken laughing maniacally...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:51 am

and somewhere, someplace, drew mcweeny weeps...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:08 am

minstrel wrote:Apparently, Stephen Fry will be Mycroft Holmes.

I like this. This is good.

TheBaxter wrote:and somewhere, someplace, drew mcweeny weeps...

:lol:

From Motion Captured:
It looks like 'Sherlock Holmes 2' has its Moriarty, and he's a mad man
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 pm

That is a pretty good title. especially considering the lack luster titles we've been privy to lately.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Trailer!

Lots of boom-boom, but no peak at Mycroft (that I could tell) yet.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SHERLOCK HOLMES 3

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Warner Bros. Hires Scribe for Sherlock Holmes Three
Borys Kit wrote:Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows doesn’t open until December 16, but Warner Bros. is already planning the next installment of the period detective adventure movies.

The studio has hired Drew Pearce, the creator of the British superhero TV satire No Heroics, to pen a script for what would be the third Robert Downey Jr.-Jude Law movie starring the Sherlock Holmes creation.

The hiring of a writer this early (and in anticipating that the movie will be a hit) mirrors the hiring of Michele and Kieran Mulroney to work on Holmes 2 about three months before the first Holmes came out in December 2009.

Pearce is a scribe on the rise. He is writing Iron Man 3 for Marvel Studios (so the new Holmes project would reteam him with Downey) and Paramount’s adaptation of DC Comics’ The Mighty.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:38 am

Bliggity-blow!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Review of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Let me say this before I start: I am a fan of the first film. It didn’t push all my buttons, but I liked it overall, I own it on DVD, and I have watched it several times. I will watch it several more times, I’m sure. I am aware that Holmes purists don’t regard Robert Downey Jr.’s version of the character as in any way definitive; he’s too quirky, violent, and perhaps too charismatic to really resemble Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s original creation. But who cares? He’s an amazing character. He’s unkempt, unshaven, often filthy (just as Victorian England is portrayed in these films). And his great intelligence is portrayed as a curse. Downey’s Holmes cannot stop thinking; his mind is so compulsively curious, creative, and hyperactive that he simply cannot relax. His own mind drives him crazy if he doesn’t have a mystery to solve. I enjoy this take on the character, so I just let my preconceptions get out of my way and I enjoyed the first movie.

And I enjoyed A Game of Shadows quite a bit more.

I’ll try not to be spoilery, but the plot involves the brilliant but evil Professor Moriarty’s nefarious scheme to get impossibly wealthy by totally screwing up all of Europe. He’s so good at this that nobody – no police department in any country – is aware that this is happening, or who is behind it. Only Sherlock Holmes has made the connections between a series of seemingly random crimes, and has identified Moriarty as the mastermind responsible. The problem is, he can’t prove it; there’s no hard evidence. Moriarty is too careful to allow any hard evidence.

So Sherlock upsets his friend Dr. Watson’s wedding and ruins the happy couple’s honeymoon, just so he can recruit the very reluctant doctor into helping with his efforts to stop Moriarty.

(It’s reasonable to ask why, after solving a few cases, Holmes wouldn’t have a good enough reputation with Scotland Yard to enable him to whistle up a squad of highly-competent cops to help him, rather than relying on Watson alone all the time, but of course, what might be reasonable doesn’t always make a more compelling story, so let’s shut up about that right now.)

I think A Game of Shadows is the better of the two films for a few reasons. First, the story is more down-to-earth and believable. There’s none of that pseudo-black-magic nonsense going on. It’s grounded in the real world. That makes the characters much more realistic. I didn’t buy Mark Strong as Lord Blackwood in the first movie because he’s a cartoon villain, the Joker to Holmes’s Batman. His whole schtick didn’t really seem to belong in Doyle’s world. But Jared Harris’s Moriarty is a great villain, I think. He conveys genius and menace in almost every word, and is fully a match for Holmes in every way. He’s powerful enough and smart enough that you really do wonder if Holmes will be able to stop him, and that makes for real suspense.

Another reason I preferred this movie to the first is that Dr. Watson gets some love from the filmmakers. In this one, he gets a couple of terrific hero moments of his own, and I’m really glad to see that. It evens up the relationship between Holmes and Watson, convinces us that Holmes really does need Watson, and justifies all the banter between the two characters. If Watson were simply a useless buffoon, as he’s been played in some earlier incarnations of these guys, there’s no way Holmes would put up with the backtalk he gets from Watson. But Jude Law’s Watson is a very strong character in his own right. The movie benefits from that.

This movie also has a few really good comic moments. Holmes spends time in drag (quite funny), can’t ride a horse so he uses a small pony (very funny), and the great Stephen Fry, who does a wonderful job as Holmes’s brother Mycroft, has a hilarious nude scene (very very funny). There’s also a great payoff gag at the end of the film that I won’t reveal, but the crowd I saw this movie with laughed and applauded when they saw it.

A Game of Shadows got a huge round of applause from the audience I was with, and I joined in. Tons of action, intrigue, suspense, and all in all, a very good time at the movies. Highly recommended.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:55 am

Ace review, mate.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:09 am

I to enjoyed the hell out of Game of Shadows... far more than the first...

that's all
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:05 am

minstrel wrote:
I think A Game of Shadows is the better of the two films for a few reasons. First, the story is more down-to-earth and believable. There’s none of that pseudo-black-magic nonsense going on. It’s grounded in the real world. That makes the characters much more realistic. I didn’t buy Mark Strong as Lord Blackwood in the first movie because he’s a cartoon villain, the Joker to Holmes’s Batman. His whole schtick didn’t really seem to belong in Doyle’s world.

Sounds reasonable. On the other hand it was that nonsense that gave Homes opportunity to use his skills, something I thought Game of Shadows could have used one or two additional scenes (besides the action parts)
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:52 am

Al Shut wrote:
minstrel wrote:I think A Game of Shadows is the better of the two films for a few reasons. First, the story is more down-to-earth and believable. There’s none of that pseudo-black-magic nonsense going on. It’s grounded in the real world. That makes the characters much more realistic. I didn’t buy Mark Strong as Lord Blackwood in the first movie because he’s a cartoon villain, the Joker to Holmes’s Batman. His whole schtick didn’t really seem to belong in Doyle’s world.

Sounds reasonable. On the other hand it was that nonsense that gave Homes opportunity to use his skills, something I thought Game of Shadows could have used one or two additional scenes (besides the action parts)

Don't forget that arguably the most famous Sherlock Holmes story of them all, The Hound of the Baskervilles, trafficks in the same pseudo-black-magic nonsense until Holmes reveals what's truly going on.

Also Scooby Doo.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 pm

I actually thought the whole black magic plot in part 1 was pretty clever done, because it made (together with the bigger emphasis on fights and action) the whole movie look like some kind of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN-ish take on Holmes and I have to admit that I expected Sherlock to fight some kind of demons by the end of the movie, so there was a nice element of surprise when it turned out to be all humbug.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Al Shut on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Damn I can't remember if the awesome Young Sherlock Holmes movie had real or pseudo black magic :P
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Al Shut wrote:Damn I can't remember if the awesome Young Sherlock Holmes movie had real or pseudo black magic :P

The victims were drugged and had hallucinations.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Re: SHERLOCK HOLMES 3

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie Discussion