THE MICRONAUTS

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

THE MICRONAUTS

Postby StevenKreg on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 pm

There was a news piece about a director being approached with doing the Micronauts... any more word on this? If done right, this would be an amazing franchise.
StevenKreg
GLIB

Re: THE MICRONAUTS

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:12 pm

StevenKreg wrote:There was a news piece about a director being approached with doing the Micronauts... any more word on this? If done right, this would be an amazing franchise.

As in the toys from the 70? Dude, I had a sweet collection of Micronauts back in the day. Waaay fucking cool toys.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby StevenKreg on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Yep, toys and even better Comic Books.... I have the entire series of the original Micronauts series and its the most epic story ever told... blows away the star wars series. You can get the whole series pretty cheap on Ebay too.

Anyway, was announced here that a director was approached with doing the movie (forgot who) and I was wondering if there was any more news since then.
StevenKreg
GLIB

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:07 pm

find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby StevenKreg on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks dude for the updates... god I hope this goes through.
StevenKreg
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:04 am

Comics Journal #40 June 1978
"Creating a new series for Marvel comics: The Micronauts by Bill Mantlo"
It all began on Christmas morn, 1977, at the Long Island home of my parents… My son had just reduced a mountain of X-Mas presents to disposable rubble and sat, in the midst of this mess of paper, tearing a group of tiny shiny figurines out of their vacuum sealed packages.

The figures seemed to catch the sparkle of the lights from my parents' Christmas tree. They were unlike any toys I had ever seen-and I've run the gamut in my time, from Dodge City to G.I. Joe to the Shogun Warriors. I asked Adam (that's my son's name) if I could see them before they went the way of all plastic and, when he handed them to me, I held in my palm the four basic figures of a new concept in toys called…The Micronauts. Time Traveler. Acroyear. Galactic Warrior. Space Glider. I knew nothing about these toys except their names on the package, but already I was beginning to extrapolate origins for them. Even from the start-and, I admit, their being called the Micronauts by Mego, the manufacturer, didn't hurt-I envisioned them as small, microscopic even, inhabiting an other-verse apart from, but in conjunctive with ours. Space Glider seemed to suggest a Reed Richards nobility, an aspect of command, of dignity. Acroyear, faceless, his armor gleaming, a fantastic sword clenched in his coldly metallic hand, seemed to hearken back to a warrior Mr. Spock. For some reason Galactic Warrior seemed insect-like-I can almost hear clicks and whistles and strange scraping interjected into his speech. But Time Traveler…there was a mystery there, glimmerings of cosmic vastness, intimations of knowledge and space and time all having been broken down and reassembled to produce something entirely new…unexplainable… different.

Famous First Fridays: The Micronauts
The Groovy Agent wrote:Welcome to another Famous First toy tie-in, Groove-ophiles! Near the end of the Groovy Age, Marvel Comics went from being the "House of Ideas" to the "House of Licensing", but it wasn't all bad. One of the best was the Micronauts, a mag which was so successful that it lasted for years after the toys had stopped being made. If you're interested in a history of the toys themselves, there are a slew of Micronauts sites out there, the best of which is InnerSpace Online. That far-out site fills ya in on every phase of Micronauts history, from their beginnings in 1976 to the present. They also give ya tons of pics, and lots of links to other sites. Best of all, they have links to interviews with the men behind the comicbook Micronauts, Bill Mantlo and Michael Golden.

Writer Bill Mantlo was Marvel's "master of the fill-in" in the late 70s. He regularly wrote mags like Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Two-In-One, the Champions, Sons of the Tiger (for Deadly Hands of Kung Fu), and a few others, but you'd find his name in the credits of most any Marvel comic at some time or another. Micronauts catapulted him into stardom, and it wasn't long before he was the regular writer for mags like the Incredible Hulk and Spectacular Spider-Man. Sadly, Mantlo suffered brain damage in 1992 after being hit by an automobile while rollerblading. In 2007, a benefit book, Mantlo: A Life In Comics was published, with proceeds going to help the Mantlo family in caring for Bill. For more info on how to order the book, go to the Bill Mantlo Project.

Dave Johnson’s Designs For An Unproduced ‘Micronauts’ Cartoon Will Make You Angry This Show Doesn’t Exist
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:44 am

I had a good bit of Micronaught toys in the 70s, those things were awesome.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Movie Discussion