Page 2 of 4

Re: The Social Network (with brand new trailer)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:09 pm
by Fried Gold



Re: The Social Network (with brand new trailer)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 pm
by Ribbons
Fried Gold wrote:


I don't know if it's where they got the idea from, but that preview kind of reminded me of that Requiem for a Dream/Toy Story 2 mash-up.

Re: The Social Network (with brand new trailer)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:59 pm
by so sorry
Quint's very glowing review from the mothersite

I always wonder how someone can provide an honest-to-goodness review of a movie when they are one of 7 people sitting in a theater watching it. That's some serious pressure to create a review under, no? Shit on a flick and never get invited back again. Overly praise a flick and be called a plant/studio stooge. Tough gig...

Re: The Social Network (with brand new trailer)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:54 pm
by Ribbons
I'm liking the marketing campaign so far (well, except for those roll-over ads that swallowed half the screen); first with the "Creep" cover in the trailer, and then these TV spots featuring Kanye West:



so sorry wrote:I always wonder how someone can provide an honest-to-goodness review of a movie when they are one of 7 people sitting in a theater watching it. That's some serious pressure to create a review under, no? Shit on a flick and never get invited back again. Overly praise a flick and be called a plant/studio stooge. Tough gig...


No one man should have all that power!

Sorry.

Re: The Social Network (with brand new trailer)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:18 pm
by Fried Gold
erm....

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-social-network

...so the critics seem to like it then.

Re: The Social Network (with brand new trailer)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:31 pm
by Pacino86845
This was pretty neat!

Dunno if I'd say it's the year's best, not even sure it would end up on my personal super-secret Top 10 of 2010, but damn was the film well-written. Holy crap, and on top of that all performances were terrific, nothing showy about this film which makes me a little hesitant about heaping too much praise on it. It's almost like this should be an HBO movie. Still, well done, good show from everyone involved.

Andrew Garfield's gonna be awesome as Peter Parker.

It's a very compelling story, I wonder how much of it is true. But I still don't get why Facebook is so popular and will continue to boycott it!

Long live The Zone!

Re: The Social Network (with brand new trailer)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:45 pm
by Ribbons
Pacino86845 wrote:This was pretty neat!

Dunno if I'd say it's the year's best, not even sure it would end up on my personal super-secret Top 10 of 2010, but damn was the film well-written. Holy crap, and on top of that all performances were terrific, nothing showy about this film which makes me a little hesitant about heaping too much praise on it. It's almost like this should be an HBO movie. Still, well done, good show from everyone involved.

Andrew Garfield's gonna be awesome as Peter Parker.

It's a very compelling story, I wonder how much of it is true. But I still don't get why Facebook is so popular and will continue to boycott it!

Long live The Zone!


Ribbons and 2 others like this review.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:09 am
by DerLanghaarige
I'm surprised to see that it does pretty well at the box office, despite my previous prediction.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm
by Zarles
Awesome movie, and maybe the best part about it is that it really doesn't have much to do with Facebook at all. The subject could've been damn near anything, what with how interesting and multilayered the fight to create and maintain control over it was. Those hating on this movie just because the subject is FB don't really have much to go on.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:16 pm
by Ribbons
This movie was pretty fantastic. I agree with Pacino that in some ways it feels like an HBO movie; you sort of kept waiting for this cinematic climax, but that's not the way the story is told. But it was fascinating, well-written, and dare I say meta...? It's definitely the best movie I've seen so far this year.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:31 pm
by TheButcher
From Variety:
Fincher not one to look back - 'Dragon' on priority list now, not 'Network'
Steve Heisler wrote:David Fincher is not interested in speaking.

To be fair, he's happy to talk about other people involved with "The Social Network," the story of Facebook's founding. Just nothing about himself. Please.

"I made the movie. It's done," he explains later, calling from Zurich on the set of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

So how often does he revisit his old films, for inspiration or just because?

"Never," he says emphatically. "It's like looking at high school photos."

It doesn't take much to break through Fincher's apprehension. Fincher, who was Oscar-nominated two years ago for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," livens up when discussing the ensemble of "Social Network" and reveals personal factoids piecemeal.

Nuggets include how ensemble members were selected by employing Fincher's odd but strangely sound logic. (Except for Jesse Eisenberg, who in Fincher's words was "genetically created in a petri dish to spout Sorkin.") He hired Armie Hammer for the dual role of Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss rather than twins because "you always learn there's one evil twin and one good one."

And for his decision to go with Justin Timberlake as Napster mastermind Sean Parker: "It became apparent that whoever Sean is in real life, I needed him to be somebody Jesse could look at and go, 'He's figured it out,' " he explains. "We looked at a lot of actors, but the thing that none of them had that Timberlake had was this innate understanding of the value of a seating chart."

Fincher blends the movie-real and the real-real in the name of creating an effortlessly cohesive ensemble. He also has his actors do take upon take upon take, breaking them of preconceived notions.

"Acting isn't like tennis; it's way more like basketball," he says. "The person throwing you the ball is trying to get you closer to the goal."

As for why "The Social Network" became one of the year's most talked-about films, Fincher explains: "When I think about it, the movies I've found inspiring all involve impeccable ensembles -- 'The Godfather,' 'Star Wars,' 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers.' There's no weak link. Everybody is peaking at the right time."

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 pm
by Ribbons
That's a pretty neat peek behind the curtain at the casting process.

Did anybody else see this movie? I saw it again a couple weeks after it came out and I still loved it, but the one thing that bugged me the first time and bugged me even more the second time was the FAKE CGI BREATH. I know Fincher has an insane, borderline-horrifying level of attention to detail, but damn.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:59 am
by Tyrone_Shoelaces
That was the one thing about the flick that bugged me. Took me right out of the scene.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:13 am
by Ribbons
Yes! I knew I wasn't the only one... :P

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:30 am
by tapehead
It's funny, I was just reading about this. I have to admit I was only vaguely aware of it when I saw it, and it didn't bother me too much, but the speculators who be speculating say it might factor in to the film's chances of winning an Oscar for VFX dual-Winklevoss.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:34 pm
by Pacino86845
I watched it, Ribbons, but it's over and done with now, it's the past.

Talking about it now would be like flipping through a high school yearbook.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:37 pm
by Ribbons
Dammit, finchered again...

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:54 am
by papalazeru
I really couldn't care about anyone in this movie at all.

It was well put together, well acted but damn near everyone was irritating beyond belief.

There were a couple of throw away lines which bugged me, one which springs to mind was Andrew Garfield's annoying girlfriend going "Why is your status set to single?"...that just seemed like a stupid cultural reference for the hell of it.

Honestly, I feel the film was far too soon. It would have been nice to see it in like 5 or 10 years when the bubble has collapsed on facebook and people have moved on to a more privacy orientated social network.

At least the circle would have been complete.

7/10

It was a good, well made film, a relatively tight script but it just wasn't very enjoyable. I'm giving it a 7 because of how well made it was put together.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
I really have no interest in this movie at all. I don't care how good it might actually be to me, it still stands as a movie about fucking Facebook, and that to me will always make it lose enough points to make me not care for it that much as an overall film.

You can blah blah on as much as you want about how great it is, but I'd rather see a great film about a more worthwhile subject that started all of this rather than a great film about something so crap as Facebook.

It's the same thing for that Star Trek Prequel. Yes it's a great film - about something that shouldn't be rehashed. Therefore it's never gonna get full marks for me. I'd rather see a great film about something original, it's more chance of getting full marks.

SUPERFICIALITY, PEOPLE!!!

Imagine if Star Wars all took place as people were fighting over a Rubik's cube? Get my point?

Now fuck off!

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:24 am
by TheBaxter
well, the first SW is all about a bunch of people trying to blow up a disco ball, so i dont get your point.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:48 pm
by Leckomaniac
I got around to seeing this the other day (and only 2 1/2 weeks before it hits DVD, too! BOO YAH!)

It really is a fantastic little film. I have no doubt it is primarily a work of fiction with very little regard for the truth, but that is my opinion of most biopics, to be honest. Sorkin's writing was so crisp and Eisenberg nailed the delivery. Is it Best Picture material? Not even close. But Sorkin should win, for sure.

And Kirks, I am really baffled at your gripe against this film. This isn't really glorifying something as "crap as Facebook" it is just a story about a smart kid that desperately wants to be liked. And he uses dubious methods to create something everyone likes and he has to face the (legal and social) consequences of his actions.

If you think it LOOKS bad, that is fine. But I wouldn't be too hasty to judge the subject matter.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:32 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
People that desperately want to be liked, finding a place online to talk about shit. If they ever make a film about The Zone starring loads of bouncing Carmen Electras I STILL wouldn't watch it.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:13 pm
by Ribbons
Leckomaniac wrote:Is it Best Picture material? Not even close. But Sorkin should win, for sure.


Hey, this is still my favorite film of the year (and that includes Black Swan, Toy Story 3 and Inception). The topicality, which either intrigues people or turns them off, probably helps some (also the fact that I'm a Sorkin fan), but I think it's pretty great anyway, and at the very least deserves to be in the conversation when talking about 2010's best movies.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:40 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Social Network doesn't deserve to be even mentioned in the same sentence as The Way Back.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:41 pm
by Ribbons
Bah! All I have to say to THAT is... I haven't seen The Way Back :oops:

But I still think it's pretty good so nuts to you, Kirks! See the movie first, you gentleman!

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
WHAT film?! The Social Netwank or The Way Back?

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:09 pm
by Fievel
TheBaxter wrote:well, the first SW is all about a bunch of people trying to blow up a disco ball, so i dont get your point.


Are you sure about that? I thought it was a hemorrhoid pillow with a gigantic anal bead in the middle.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:14 am
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Hmmm, well one of the big complaints about The Phantom Menace was hat all this intergalactic epic battling was just over - boring taxes!
So how you can't complain that The Social Network's drama is fundementally created out of silly little Facebook is hypocritical of you guys.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 am
by Leckomaniac
Ribbons wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Is it Best Picture material? Not even close. But Sorkin should win, for sure.


Hey, this is still my favorite film of the year (and that includes Black Swan, Toy Story 3 and Inception). The topicality, which either intrigues people or turns them off, probably helps some (also the fact that I'm a Sorkin fan), but I think it's pretty great anyway, and at the very least deserves to be in the conversation when talking about 2010's best movies.


Hey, it is for sure one of my favorites of the year, but in my mind the Best Picture is clearly BLACK SWAN. I just think that film works entirely whereas this film, while great, has moments that didn't quite work as well as others.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:54 am
by TheButcher

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 pm
by The Garbage Man


A good interview, in spite of McWeeny's stunning ability to fellate both himself and Fincher simultaneously.
Thanks, Butch.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:45 pm
by Leckomaniac
The Garbage Man wrote:


A good interview, in spite of McWeeny's stunning ability to fellate both himself and Fincher simultaneously.
Thanks, Butch.


My fucking word. McWeeny is unbearable in this. I bet the interview is great, but I couldn't make it through that.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:06 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
I won't bother seeing this.

It has to be put in front of me on a plate an my eyes forced open in order to. Bit like Lugz rapping me in his bedroom to watch that Star Trek prequel.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:28 pm
by The Garbage Man
Leckomaniac wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:


A good interview, in spite of McWeeny's stunning ability to fellate both himself and Fincher simultaneously.
Thanks, Butch.


My fucking word. McWeeny is unbearable in this. I bet the interview is great, but I couldn't make it through that.


The regatta scene, cut to the Trent Reznor arrangement of "Hall Of The Mountain King," is one of the film's most striking moments. It was also the last thing that FIncher filmed on July 4th, 2010. I told him that putting off a sequence like that to the end of the shoot is always a crap shoot, and in Rinzler's phenomenal The Making Of 'The Empire Strikes Back' book, Lucas kept putting off Yoda until the very end of the shoot, never knowing for sure if he'd work.


Way to go, champ. I'm sure David Fincher will take your profound wisdom on shooting schedules to heart in the future.

There are not enough eye-rolling emoticons in the world...

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:21 pm
by MasterWhedon
Leckomaniac wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Is it Best Picture material? Not even close. But Sorkin should win, for sure.


Hey, this is still my favorite film of the year (and that includes Black Swan, Toy Story 3 and Inception). The topicality, which either intrigues people or turns them off, probably helps some (also the fact that I'm a Sorkin fan), but I think it's pretty great anyway, and at the very least deserves to be in the conversation when talking about 2010's best movies.


Hey, it is for sure one of my favorites of the year, but in my mind the Best Picture is clearly BLACK SWAN. I just think that film works entirely whereas this film, while great, has moments that didn't quite work as well as others.

Lecko--just to clarify, you'd be cool with "The Social Network" getting nominated for Best Picture, no? You just don't think it should win?

I've yet to see "Black Swan" and one or two others I suspect could be in contention for my year-end list, but dammit I'm working to catch up!

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm
by Ribbons
The Garbage Man wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
The Garbage Man wrote:


A good interview, in spite of McWeeny's stunning ability to fellate both himself and Fincher simultaneously.
Thanks, Butch.


My fucking word. McWeeny is unbearable in this. I bet the interview is great, but I couldn't make it through that.


The regatta scene, cut to the Trent Reznor arrangement of "Hall Of The Mountain King," is one of the film's most striking moments. It was also the last thing that FIncher filmed on July 4th, 2010. I told him that putting off a sequence like that to the end of the shoot is always a crap shoot, and in Rinzler's phenomenal The Making Of 'The Empire Strikes Back' book, Lucas kept putting off Yoda until the very end of the shoot, never knowing for sure if he'd work.


Way to go, champ. I'm sure David Fincher will take your profound wisdom on shooting schedules to heart in the future.

There are not enough eye-rolling emoticons in the world...


Maybe not, but one can try:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

...too much?

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 pm
by Leckomaniac
MasterWhedon wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Is it Best Picture material? Not even close. But Sorkin should win, for sure.


Hey, this is still my favorite film of the year (and that includes Black Swan, Toy Story 3 and Inception). The topicality, which either intrigues people or turns them off, probably helps some (also the fact that I'm a Sorkin fan), but I think it's pretty great anyway, and at the very least deserves to be in the conversation when talking about 2010's best movies.


Hey, it is for sure one of my favorites of the year, but in my mind the Best Picture is clearly BLACK SWAN. I just think that film works entirely whereas this film, while great, has moments that didn't quite work as well as others.

Lecko--just to clarify, you'd be cool with "The Social Network" getting nominated for Best Picture, no? You just don't think it should win?

I've yet to see "Black Swan" and one or two others I suspect could be in contention for my year-end list, but dammit I'm working to catch up!


How did I miss this?

To answer your question MW, yes. I would be fine with this getting the nom for Best Picture (and honestly I expect it to win). If it were me, I would give it to BLACK SWAN hands down.

HOWEVER, as long as Aronofsky gets Best Director I will be satisfied/placated.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 pm
by The Garbage Man
Ribbons wrote:Maybe not, but one can try:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

...too much?


Throw in some Van Der Beek and we're nearly there.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:30 am
by caruso_stalker217
Well, I basically loved THE SOCIAL NETWORK. Which is kind of odd for a film entirely about a bunch of rich d-bags I can't really relate to. It touched me in my naughty place, but I've decided not to press charges. I'm gonna go out on a really long limb here and say this may be Mr. Fincher's best film to date (I am so sorry, ALIENĀ³. I still love you). It's not as long as ZODIAC or BENJAMIN BUTTON and doesn't span decades, feature old babies or Roger Rabbit, so that was refreshing (not that I don't love you, ZODIAC, etc).

Not surprisingly it is beautifully shot. Really just like a fucking work of art. Way to use those cameras, filmmakers. The acting is solid across the board (nice job, Mr. Timberlake) and this Armie Hammer guy is pretty good. Got kind of a Brendan Frasier thing going, though. Really the standout here, though, was Andrew Garfield who I think is fucking amazing in this. I look forward to seeing him in THE SPIDER-MAN, or whatever they decide to call it. I could see him snagging one of those goddamn Oscar nominations, in the supporting category. His last scene put him over the top, in this fucker's opinion.

If I had seen this last year I would have called it the best film I saw last year. Instead I'll say it's the best film from last year that I saw this year. Which I think is basically the same thing.

By the way, I had no fucking clue Joseph Mozello was in this until I saw his name in the credits. I think I know who he played, maybe. If so, Christ, has he let himself go. I mean I saw him in the first episode of "The Pacific'"and I totally recognized him. What the fuck, dude? What the fuck?

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Personally it just goes to show me that if you can make a good film about Facebook, you can make a good film about anything. And no, that's not a compliment.

It also shows that with enough money, talent, you can make a film about any old shit subject and we'll buy into it. Might as well make a good movie about shit. When it wins the Oscar you know it's time to leave this planet.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:15 am
by caruso_stalker217
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. It doesn't matter if the film is good or not because a film about Facebook is not worth your time? Even if it, in fact, is very well-made and a lot of time and effort was put into it and the end result is actually good?

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:42 am
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Yes.

There's more to a film being likeable than it actually being good. It's a good and wider than one would think discussion, one that could be threaded.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:14 am
by caruso_stalker217
So have you bothered to see it yet?

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:19 am
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
No. Why would I wanna see that rubbish for?

But, let's put it this way, if the best director, actors, scriptwriters and crew in the world made a film about Hitler and the Nazis which carried a Pro-Nazi message - and it turned out to be the best film ever made in terms of technical, entertainment and persuasive quality, how would you all view it, despite it's unlikeable premise?

You'd all like it still wouldn't you? As it's such a well told story. How can you NOT like well told stories?
Well, because it don't matter if it's a well told story, the fact that it's not a GOOD story or premise DOES make a BIG difference. Well it should. But here with this Hitler and Social Network film it doesn't as you guys still like it. That's why you guys are wrong.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:34 am
by caruso_stalker217
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't TRIUMPH OF THE WILL considered to be one of the greatest films ever made?

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:38 am
by Cpt Kirks 2pay
Well, Birth of a Nation.

When it came out people claimed it to be one of the greatest films of all time, and people still do actually when you watch those AFI BFI best 100 films blah blah stuff.

But people only now are beginning to realise that because of it's anti-semetic racist message, that it's not such a good film, no matter how well this anti semetic racist message got away with it.

I think that makes my point.

People here need to reconsider their views on The Social Network, as with all other films they've watched to a degree, re-analyse what the film is fundementally about considering it's origins, and the origins are the real story of it.

Get some new intelligence, Zoners. THINK for once in your lives.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:17 am
by magicmonkey
I'm gonna try sell this movie to Kirk...


The bit with the poke is just laugh out loud funny, and the moment when Zuckerberg comes up with the "like" function (whilst licking *censored*) and the revised privacy terms of service are just pure cinema.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 am
by TheBaxter
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:No. Why would I wanna see that rubbish for?

But, let's put it this way, if the best director, actors, scriptwriters and crew in the world made a film about Hitler and the Nazis which carried a Pro-Nazi message - and it turned out to be the best film ever made in terms of technical, entertainment and persuasive quality, how would you all view it, despite it's unlikeable premise?

You'd all like it still wouldn't you? As it's such a well told story. How can you NOT like well told stories?
Well, because it don't matter if it's a well told story, the fact that it's not a GOOD story or premise DOES make a BIG difference. Well it should. But here with this Hitler and Social Network film it doesn't as you guys still like it. That's why you guys are wrong.


zuckerberg = hitler?

you might be on to something....

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:38 pm
by The Garbage Man
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:No. Why would I wanna see that rubbish for?

But, let's put it this way, if the best director, actors, scriptwriters and crew in the world made a film about Hitler and the Nazis which carried a Pro-Nazi message - and it turned out to be the best film ever made in terms of technical, entertainment and persuasive quality, how would you all view it, despite it's unlikeable premise?

You'd all like it still wouldn't you? As it's such a well told story. How can you NOT like well told stories?
Well, because it don't matter if it's a well told story, the fact that it's not a GOOD story or premise DOES make a BIG difference. Well it should. But here with this Hitler and Social Network film it doesn't as you guys still like it. That's why you guys are wrong.


The problem with your reasoning is that The Social Network DOES have a good story.

I hate Facebook as much as anyone, but get it through your head Kirks: The Social Network is NOT ABOUT FACEBOOK. The website is incidental to the actual story - they could have been making toilet plungers for all it matters. Ultimately the meat of the story is a drama about a guy who's intelligent but incredibly socially awkward and ends up fucking over everyone who actually cares for him in the pursuit of popularity.

Re: The Social Network

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 pm
by TheBaxter
The Garbage Man wrote:I hate Facebook as much as anyone, but get it through your head Kirks: The Social Network is NOT ABOUT FACEBOOK. The website is incidental to the actual story - they could have been making toilet plungers for all it matters. Ultimately the meat of the story is a drama about a guy who's intelligent but incredibly socially awkward and ends up fucking over everyone who actually cares for him in the pursuit of popularity.


so that's why Kirks won't watch it. it's about him!

The Garbage Man wrote:I hate Facebook as much as anyone, but get it through your head Kirks: The Social Network is NOT ABOUT FACEBOOK. The website is incidental to the actual story - they could have been making toilet plungers for all it matters. Ultimately the meat of the story is a drama about a guy who's intelligent but incredibly socially awkward and ends up fucking over everyone who actually cares for him in the pursuit of popularity.


oh, i missed that part the first time around. i guess it's not about Kirks after all.