The Zone's 2011 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2011 Movie Journal

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:On repeat viewings, what works best, action or human drama?

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer to this question. I can just as easily be in the right frame of mind to watch a kick ass action flick for the 50th time (like Aliens, one of my all time favorites) or a kick ass drama flick for the 50th time (like The Godfather, one of my all time favorites).

Depends on your mood my good man.

Period.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:03 pm

CoughlastpostsofAlienmoviesquotecoughquote.

Please.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I disagree about ALIEN 3 having no tension. It's definately not a pure suspense monster picture like the first film, and I agree that the Alien itself doesn't provide enough tension in the film, but it's more of a Romero thing where the monster is a catalyst for tension among the human characters.

In the first film, the Alien was the unknown and we discovered it along with the characters. In ALIEN 3, the Alien is the known threat, the characters are the unknown, and we discover them along with Ripley. They had an order to their little society and both Ripley and the Alien are throwing if off and the tension comes from seeing how that will play out.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:42 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I think ALIENS does a good job of building tension and also blowing shit up. I love that nothing really happens until an hour into the film when the shit goes off. But everything has a very '80s feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But like in ALIEN I never got a '70s vibe. In ALIENS you've got Ripley wearing Reeboks. Paul Reiser looks like he just stepped off the set of "My Two Dads." Seems lazy to me.

I've made this exact point with people before. Aliens looks quite dated and is very obviously an 80s movies. The costume and design features they've tried to produce and engineer as being "futuristic" just look even more 80s. It's even built into the dialogue.

Alien, to me, doesn't seem as tied down to any particular era. (The only part which I would say is dated is the explosion of the Nostromo toward the end)

Adding this to the various other story and design points I'm not a fan of, Aliens has always seemed somewhat overrated to me.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I disagree about ALIEN 3 having no tension. It's definately not a pure suspense monster picture like the first film, and I agree that the Alien itself doesn't provide enough tension in the film, but it's more of a Romero thing where the monster is a catalyst for tension among the human characters.

In the first film, the Alien was the unknown and we discovered it along with the characters. In ALIEN 3, the Alien is the known threat, the characters are the unknown, and we discover them along with Ripley. They had an order to their little society and both Ripley and the Alien are throwing if off and the tension comes from seeing how that will play out.

Yeah agreed. There was some great stuff with them all in that 'Chapel thing' we're they're all bickering over what to do with the Alien and how they finally agree to kill it. Add some redemption to they're already 'fucked' asses. Or again, that dude turning against his own brothers just to see that Alien one more time, knocking them out or slitting their throat. Or Ripley's back and forth with 85 having fights with him whilst at the same time he tries to help her. Or Ripley's suicide attempt with Charles S Dutton. That's the stuff that draws me in. Not bad considering they're all bald and you'd think that you'd not tell them apart.

The Alien itself I thought was a bit naff in a lot of scenes.

I do love how it's full of these biblical themes too and is at heart rather Apocalyptic. Also Elliot Goldenthall's Cathedral like music
works severely well. Possibly the best score of the series? The more you dig into Alien 3 the more superior qualities it possibly possesses over the other installments.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Adding this to the various other story and design points I'm not a fan of, Aliens has always seemed somewhat overrated to me.

I think Aliens is one of the best "action" movies of our generation, and its personally one of my top 20 favorite movies period.

The set design, the attention to detail, the pacing, the passion of the director, Stan Winston's alien queen, the fucking ACTION when the shit hits the fan, the tension of who will survive (outside of the obvious Ripley and Newt of course). This movie has it all. Excuse me for going all "American" on you here, but this movie kicks fucking ass. Quibble all you want about Reebox sneakers and Paul Riser's hairdo, but do not underestimate the effect that Aliens has had in Hollywood and beyond...

Is it as scary and intense and creepy as Alien? Certainly not. But its light years better than any other Alien movie to date. I like Alien 3 just fine, its a decent flick, but no way is it better than Aliens. You can use all the excuses in the book (the studios messed it up, the CGI alien was dodgy, the original script was better) but at the end of the day, what was put on celluloid doesn't hold a candle to Aliens.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Because....?

Alien 3 has better acting? A fine British cast bring great thespy, natural, aware and at the same time right thuggish but redemptive qualities. Where as Aliens had American gung ho, comparitively thin and shallow acted performances. And don't say that the acting don't make a major difference 'cos it does.

The sets in Aliens are rather weak and made with less love and detail to those of the bookending movies? As time has dated it, it doesn't look so real anymore. I think all the same horror or drama moments that Alien does so well like the chestburster or Facehugger molestation scenes, well when Aliens did it, I kept thinking "Man, that's nowhere near as powerful as the first film", and it leaves me thinking that Cameron just cannot do tension and scary as well as Ridley Scott can. He's a more 'rushed' director in that sense, he's not one to contemplate or have the immediate instinct for what is powerful drama.

A fine action film it might be, but a lot of this is down to the script and how the characters were given such edge of the seat jeapordies to deal with? Whereas the execution? Not so much? As I said before, beat for beat, in every technical or dramatic thing that all of these 3 movies try to do, if you analyse it, actually Aliens does them the least well.

In that way, it's the worst of the 3. Period.

Again as I said before, those that loved Aliens when they were younger need to grow up, and re-analyse that movie with their newly refreshed and matured eyes. If they don't see it for it's weaknesses to the other 2, then they're just still a geek kid, high on the gun merchandse that they bought.

Oh and another thing, Aliens is the representaton that in order to solve your problems, just get a gun. I mean, how easy is it to kill a invincible Alien? Shoot it. More Aliens? Get more guns. That's the simple moral to Aliens which you can't ignore. Save the Queen, all the Alien problems were dealt with ammo.

The movie is Rambo propaganda and forget all this bullshit that feminine powers of Ripley win out over the military might of the US. This movie IS high on it's own powers of violence. It's moral compass in that way, is bad. Wanna disagree with me? Ask Sigourney Weaver. One reason she as PRODUCER of Alien 3 wanted unarmed prisoners is that she thought Aliens relied on guns too much.

Also, Aliens has that flaw I said before about the whole bunch of characters going to LV426 in the first place being a waste of time as that site was due to blow up anyway and kill all the Aliens without them even needing to be there! That's such a big mistake in the script and could lose that film one star rating!!!

Anyway, I'll leave you alone So Sorry to go and rewatch that film and enjoy it without any of your enjoyment of it being tarnished with this wake up call about it's weaknesses that I just correctly alerted you to.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:12 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm

:lol:
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: Save the Queen

That post was pure propaganda
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote: Save the Queen

That post was pure horse shit

edited for truthiness
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm

On a side note, anyone who thinks Alien 3 was better than Aliens is drinking their own urine.
A lot.
Alien & Aliens was an amazing one - two punch; two clearly different films on the same subject.
One a haunted house horror show, the other full on action adventure. Both directed by first rate directors.
Alien 3, despite Kirk's highly coveted British lesbians, was a predictable snore fest.
The CGI alien looked like crap.
Fail.
The Vicar

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Well, on the ALIENS commentary even Cameron admitted that the notion of Ripley curing her post-traumatic stress by shooting a bunch of aliens is a little naive.

And I never understood why she didn't launch one of those grenades straight into the queen's face, instead of using them all on the egg sack. But then this was the woman who went back for the fucking cat.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:57 pm

The Vicar wrote:On a side note, anyone who thinks Alien 3 was better than Aliens is drinking their own urine.
A lot.
Alien & Aliens was an amazing one - two punch; two clearly different films on the same subject.
One a haunted house horror show, the other full on action adventure. Both directed by first rate directors.
Alien 3, despite Kirk's highly coveted British lesbians, was a predictable snore fest.
Fail.

For the record, I never said ALIEN³ was a better film. Only that it is my favorite. ALIENS is a finished product, ALIEN³ is not. There are numerous flaws and plot holes. This is disappointing. ALIENS at least started with a finished script and everybody had a clear idea of what they were shooting for. I admire and love ALIEN³ for the stuff that works. Of course, anyone I've ever talked to who hates it says that it has no redeeming qualities. In their eyes, I guess it is a failure on every level, which is an ignorant statement and wrong to boot.

Also, I would certainly describe David Fincher as a "first rate" director, along with Scott and Cameron. He just didn't have the clout to make the movie he wanted at the time.

And the alien wasn't CGI.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Alien 3 is a better directed film than Aliens. I don't think that can be argued. So before you disagree with this, think about how this is about the directing, detail for detail. (For instance, Newt's acting is a bit shit.)

I think it goes a long way to making Alien 3 better than Aliens.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:For the record, I never said ALIEN³ was a better film. Only that it is my favorite.

I understand you. My favourite of the series is RESURRECTION and I would never call it a good movie! I just love it for its visual style and the fun factor, but I would NEVER say it's the best one! The first two are masterpieces of their respective subgenres, while RESURRECTION is just a visually stunning and completely crazy B-movie.

That said, I think I'm gonna watch all four ALIEN movies this weekend. Also I never saw the director's cut of part 1.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby The Vicar on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Alien 3 is a better directed film than Aliens. I don't think that can be argued. So before you disagree with this, think about how this is about the directing, detail for detail. (For instance, Newt's acting is a bit shit.)

I think it goes a long way to making Alien 3 better than Aliens.

Okay, now I know you're just spouting nonsense for nonsense sake.
But thanks for dialing in and wasting people's time.
That never gets old.

And caruso, its okay for you to like it better than the others. That's individual taste, and that's cool.
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Well if that's the way you want to play, then you're just being ignorant.

Vicar thinks "Direction. What's that got to do with making a good movie?" Probably think that Alien 4 is better than Alien 3.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05 pm

so sorry wrote:I think Aliens is one of the best "action" movies of our generation, and its personally one of my top 20 favorite movies period.

If by "our generation" you mean the 1980s, then possibly.

The set design, the attention to detail,

...you mean like the amazing size-changing armoured car?

the pacing

Perhaps in certain parts. But the beginning really drags on.

the passion of the director

From what I saw of the "Making of" documentaries, Cameron was ready to give up at one point (the film got made because his wife is a bitch/producer who shouted at everyone).

Stan Winston's alien queen

Agreed on the effects work. But the alien queen should never have been introduced.

the fucking ACTION when the shit hits the fan, the tension of who will survive

It's just machine guns firing.

the tension of who will survive(outside of the obvious Ripley and Newt of course).
That was already at concept used in the first film, where it was more effective.

This movie has it all. Excuse me for going all "American" on you here, but this movie kicks fucking ass. Quibble all you want about Reebox sneakers and Paul Riser's hairdo, but do not underestimate the effect that Aliens has had in Hollywood and beyond...

And probably a negative effect at that.

Is it as scary and intense and creepy as Alien? Certainly not. But its light years better than any other Alien movie to date. I like Alien 3 just fine, its a decent flick, but no way is it better than Aliens. You can use all the excuses in the book (the studios messed it up, the CGI alien was dodgy, the original script was better) but at the end of the day, what was put on celluloid doesn't hold a candle to Aliens.

Alien 3 is better directed, has amazing cinematography, has a more interesting story and is better acted. And the only CGI shot in Alien3 lasts about 1.5 seconds and is barely noticeable. Regardless of what you say, the problems it faced were derived from studio decisions and poor planning.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:For the record, I never said ALIEN³ was a better film. Only that it is my favorite.

I understand you. My favourite of the series is RESURRECTION and I would never call it a good movie! I just love it for its visual style and the fun factor, but I would NEVER say it's the best one! The first two are masterpieces of their respective subgenres, while RESURRECTION is just a visually stunning and completely crazy B-movie.

Plus, it's got Ron fucking Perlman. And who doesn't love Ron Perlman?
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:

I'll be honest with ya. When I first saw that film, I f***ing hated him in that. I hated all the actors though. Now that I know more about him, naaah, I still don't like him that much in it.

Though I would have thought that if you were to prefer Alien Res to the others it would have been those cross breeding/resurrection/clone themes that it had. I'm sure you do appreciate them though. Each to their own, except The Vicar. I see why you do like it for the comedy etc.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
The Vicar wrote:On a side note, anyone who thinks Alien 3 was better than Aliens is drinking their own urine.
A lot.
Fail.

For the record, I never said ALIEN³ was a better film. Only that it is my favorite. ALIENS is a finished product, ALIEN³ is not. There are numerous flaws and plot holes. This is disappointing. ALIENS at least started with a finished script and everybody had a clear idea of what they were shooting for. I admire and love ALIEN³ for the stuff that works. Of course, anyone I've ever talked to who hates it says that it has no redeeming qualities. In their eyes, I guess it is a failure on every level, which is an ignorant statement and wrong to boot.

Also, I would certainly describe David Fincher as a "first rate" director, along with Scott and Cameron. He just didn't have the clout to make the movie he wanted at the time.

And the alien wasn't CGI.

There is one shot in Alien3, a couple of seconds long, where the alien in CGI and it's that amazing cracked skull shot. You can barely notice it unless you know it's there. The rest is animatronics, puppetry and models.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:20 pm

I actually liked how the puppet moved while the SFX guys were operating it. It just didn't translate well at all during the compositing stage. There are a couple shots where I think it works fine. Overall it looks like funky CGI or stop-motion.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:06 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I actually liked how the puppet moved while the SFX guys were operating it. It just didn't translate well at all during the compositing stage. There are a couple shots where I think it works fine. Overall it looks like funky CGI or stop-motion.

Yeah, it works with the fast cutting but not so much when the movement slows down.

Although there are quite a few shots of the puppet chowing down on someone and it looks amazing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I actually liked how the puppet moved while the SFX guys were operating it. It just didn't translate well at all during the compositing stage. There are a couple shots where I think it works fine. Overall it looks like funky CGI or stop-motion.

Yeah, it works with the fast cutting but not so much when the movement slows down.

Although there are quite a few shots of the puppet chowing down on someone and it looks amazing.

That scene looked like the Alien was humping that guy. When this film first came out, I didn't want to see it unless I had a date to see it with, and I was so adamant about this and so failed at getting a date that I never saw it at all. Until one day, when I was so depressed as some girl I had been with blew me out and shagged my mate in Sydney, I as a mental suicide, decided to put this film on. Seeing that Alien shag that guy just looked like my mate shagging my girl. It was like a skewer into my heart.

Alien 3. True Horror.

Period.

(Obligatory 'Fuck You, Vicar' comment attached)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:54 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:

I think Resurrection is the film I fell in love with Ron Pearlman

you can also see alot of the ideas Joss Wheadon had for Firefly in the salvage crew
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:01 am

I've actually had the time to see a few flicks this month.

Most recent viewing:

13. BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - The Coppola one. I watched the special features and saw what a dick Oldman was to work with. Pretty shitty. But Coppola was felating himself about how close this version is compared to the book. I just read the book. GTFO with that noise, Coppola. This is a raping of the book, and Stoker wishes he was undead so he could come slap you for saying that stupid shit. Nice tits throughout this, though. And Reeves is the worst British accent ever, neck and neck with Costner's Robin Hood. 7/10.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:16 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I've actually had the time to see a few flicks this month.

Most recent viewing:

13. BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - The Coppola one. I watched the special features and saw what a dick Oldman was to work with. Pretty shitty. But Coppola was felating himself about how close this version is compared to the book. I just read the book. GTFO with that noise, Coppola. This is a raping of the book, and Stoker wishes he was undead so he could come slap you for saying that stupid shit. Nice tits throughout this, though. And Reeves is the worst British accent ever, neck and neck with Costner's Robin Hood. 7/10.

my local dollar store has had this for sell for awhile and I've been thinking about buying the DVD hows the special features. I wasn't a hug fan of the movie when it came out and haven't visited it since probably 96 (when I did a stage version), but I am a Coppola fan and a collector
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:24 am

I love Coppola's DRACULA. Keanu is pretty lousy in it, but his worst acting was left on the cutting room floor and can be found in the supplemental material for your home entertainment. I love the music and the visuals. The film looks pretty good on Blu-Ray. It also features probably my favorite werewolf makeup in a film and the scene where Oldman turns into a giant man-bat is fucking awesome.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Al Shut on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:32 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote: I love the music and the visuals.

The score is one of my all time favorites and worth the money on it's own,.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby The Vicar on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:55 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Alien 3. True Horror.

Period.

Not only are you wrong, but you're wrong at the top of your voice.
FAIL.

Obligatory "Grow up, Kirks" comment attached.
And grow better taste in films.
End line.
The Vicar

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:40 am

The Vicar wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Alien 3. True Horror.

Period.

Not only are you wrong, but you're wrong at the top of your voice.
FAIL.

Obligatory "Grow up, Kirks" comment attached.
And grow better taste in films.
End line.

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
The worst of the month:

A tougher decision, since I didn't see anything utterly terrible, but I guess I'll got with PAY IT FORWARD. It's just so cheesy and melodramatic in places.

So what is everyone's best and worst for January?

Worst: Two For The Money. I needed to watch it because Pacino was in it, but it's the one of only two Matthew McConaughey movies I have ever managed to sit through (the other being Dazed & Confused) & I wont be doing it again any time soon.

I cried like the little bitch that I am the first time I watched Pay It Forward, so i'll ignore your above statement & move on to the whole Alien thing...

A lot.
Fail.

Aliens shits all over everything done in the original (not in a good way). It removed everything that made Alien good & filled the void with cheese.
Typical fucking Cameron.
The dialogue is shit, the characters are cardboard (TV's Paul Riser as generic yuppie), the plot is filled with more holes than I care to count...

It has the exact same problems as T2: Judgement day.
The original movies are nightmarish scenarios & the sequels are as camp as Commando.
T2 annoys me more because he did the first one as well. He wasn't bringing his ideas to someone else's universe, but completely undoing one he created himself.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby justcheckin on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:54 pm

T2 and Aliens are my favorite ones out of both of those series but the first ones are close runners up. I don't really know why, maybe for the same reasons that you don't like them King. I wasn't really excited by the last two Alien movies and I really don't care for the later Terminator movies either. I wanted more than I got from both sets and I thought that after the first round of sequels that they just stopped trying to be creative.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 pm

justcheckin wrote:T2 and Aliens are my favorite ones out of both of those series but the first ones are close runners up. I don't really know why, maybe for the same reasons that you don't like them King. I wasn't really excited by the last two Alien movies and I really don't care for the later Terminator movies either. I wanted more than I got from both sets and I thought that after the first round of sequels that they just stopped trying to be creative.

You are not alone.

I think its useful to note that Fincher disowned Alien 3...walked away before the editing started in post production. Of all the directors he refused to provide commentary on the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set. He didn't like Alien 3 either.
The Vicar

Postby Bloo on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:17 am

I'm still averaging about 2 movies a day, pretty happy about that, didn't know if I'd be able too without choosing a "theme" for this month
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:17 am

Aw man, I only watched two movies this week so far. (And both of them were pretty lame.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 pm

I am finally watching the ALIEN documentaries on the sets, and regret in 1986 for judging so harshly on James Horner for his score in AlIENS being a repetition of one of my favorite scores of all time Star Trek II.

I now see he was under the gun and stopwatch, and he held much animosity towards Cameron and Hurd for their brute schedule and threat.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ufoclub1977 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:43 pm

ON ALIEN vs ALIENS vs ALIEN 3 vs ALIEN 4

I'm such a fan of '79s ALIEN that I drew two full length comic books of the movie in middle school (the first before even seeing the movie, and both before ever seeing the official comic adaptation). To this day I can draw the original Alien in all it's 3 forms in great detail, and that interpret the movie shit taught me not only to illustrate, but also how to edit and pace movies in middle school (maybe the drawings are crude compared to what I can draw now). I have very strong detailed opinions on the series, but I do see good in all the movies. And while I'm kind of turned off by the bare bones production, 80's style blue gel cinematography, action orientation, and jock characteristics of ALIENS, I do highly respect it's expertly placed and edited story. Cameron a good story teller, maybe not a great innovator of the genre, but he is a great editor and story pacer. He knows his beats, his structure is immaculate. It's his conceptual content that I think is low brow compared to what came before or after (for example, what's cool about the face hugger in the first movie is that it has the qualities of a human hand with long fingers, and doesn't move much, it sits like some kind of satanic grip that dehumanizes it's victim and palms his face like a horrible mask. It's silent, it's still. ALIENS makes it a spastic spider/crab animal with desperate wiggling legs and tail) But still, if ALIENS had come out on it's own (no ALIEN), I would have to proclaim it to be a work of genius.

ALIEN 3 is so visually and philosophically sophisticated that it is almost too heavy to watch (and most of it seems to have come from that previous writer/director's slant). The plot of ALIEN 3 (which Cameron is so good at in ALIENS) is what is dysfunctional. It just doesn't gel together. In a dream world, Cameron would have written the script and guided the plot of ALIEN 3, while Fincher directed and styled it. Actually if Fincher had been in charge of the art design and concepts in ALIENS, still retaining Cameron's plot structure and pacing... well that would be something.

ALIEN 4 has one truly horrifying moment for me personally. It's the sequence towards the beginning when unsuspecting public (vacationers?) are awakened to find themselves sacrificed to the ALIEN egg's facehugger. Disturbing. The whole movie in fact seems unreal as if you are dreaming that you are seeing an ALIEN movie, and it's not quite what they would actually make in real life, but still a bit nightmarish. It's fun. But completely crazy! And gaudy. It's like Heavy Metal magazine came and reclaimed ALIEN and out popped ALIEN 4.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 am

Love your summarisations, UFO, even on Alien 4. Wish you'd post more often. At least you know with some insight what you're talking about, unlike other people here.

The Vicar - I'm looking at you.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 am

ufoclub1977 wrote:ALIEN 3 is so visually and philosophically sophisticated that it is almost too heavy to watch (and most of it seems to have come from that previous writer/director's slant). The plot of ALIEN 3 (which Cameron is so good at in ALIENS) is what is dysfunctional. It just doesn't gel together. In a dream world, Cameron would have written the script and guided the plot of ALIEN 3, while Fincher directed and styled it. Actually if Fincher had been in charge of the art design and concepts in ALIENS, still retaining Cameron's plot structure and pacing... well that would be something.

It depends what you wanted from the story. Cameron's idea for an Alien 3 story (from what I've read of it) sounded incredibly lame.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ufoclub1977 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
ufoclub1977 wrote:ALIEN 3 is so visually and philosophically sophisticated that it is almost too heavy to watch (and most of it seems to have come from that previous writer/director's slant). The plot of ALIEN 3 (which Cameron is so good at in ALIENS) is what is dysfunctional. It just doesn't gel together. In a dream world, Cameron would have written the script and guided the plot of ALIEN 3, while Fincher directed and styled it. Actually if Fincher had been in charge of the art design and concepts in ALIENS, still retaining Cameron's plot structure and pacing... well that would be something.

It depends what you wanted from the story. Cameron's idea for an Alien 3 story (from what I've read of it) sounded incredibly lame.

What was it? I recently found a script I started as a little kid in 1980 for a sequel to ALIEN and it actually starts with Ripley's shuttle landing in a hanger, and a technician meeting her as she is revived out of hypersleep. The dilaogue went something like:

Technician: What happened?
Ripley: (Whimper) They're all dead.

and then it cut to show there was an alien egg in the shuttle, and a face hugger gets onto another techs face.

And then I quit... ha. Only one and a half pages.

I can't even imagine what they're trying to cook up for the next ALIEN movie. It could be awful.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 pm

You guys should make the Alien dream that I just had into a movie. It involved Aliens chasing us humans from one dimension to another into horrible hard to survive in conditions, dark, cold and full of misery whilst the Aliens thrived wherever they went. We were so depressed we were going to turn ourselves into the Aliens to eat. The dream also involved The Expendables shitting themselves in the toilets that they'll get caught out by some guys they were gonna prank, me having obsessive obsessions over a Jessie J lookalike who I went out with last year who farked me over, some Time Bandits elements, then me going to Hell.

Shoot that shit.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:17 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

What was it?

Essentially Ripley, Hicks and Newt becoming a family adventure trio.

...like Temple of Doom in space.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ufoclub1977 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 pm

I did just notice an error in the ALIEN Anthology blu-ray. They have a photo of what seems to be a suited up ALIEN 3 production pic mixed in with pics for '79 ALIEN in the '79 ALIEN section of the 6th disc.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby jetnet22 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:08 am

I think this is a great post!Image
jetnet22
GLIB

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:49 am

Am I the only one who thinks that SCOTT PILGRIM is one of the most misogynistic movies of the last years? Every woman in it is either an asshole or lacks depth. And the one, nice girl in the whole movie is presented like a psychopathic stalker in the trailer.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:02 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that SCOTT PILGRIM is one of the most misogynistic movies of the last years? Every woman in it is either an asshole or lacks depth. And the one, nice girl in the whole movie is presented like a psychopathic stalker in the trailer.

I dunno, most if not all of the guys came off the same way. I guess it was an equal opportunites movie :)
Can it be misogynistic when nobody is shown in a good light? Male or female?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 pm

wouldn't that be misanthropic?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:13 pm

I don't know. I liked Scott's Dumbledore buddy. He may be a (hetero-)boyfriend stealing tattle-tale, who kicked Scott out of their apartment in the end, but he was way more sympathetic and supportive towards him, than his sister, his female band mate and the one girl with the glasses, who was always swearing like a modem. And his bandmate, who was always panicing before a new gig, wasn't an asshole either. He just had the habit of freaking out from time to time. And the other guy who later replaced Scott in the band was just socially awkward, but never did anything that made me hate him.
So it may be a movie where everybody was some kind of neurotic, but the females got it really bad in this one.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion