‘Blade Runner 2049’

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

‘Blade Runner 2049’

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Blade Runner Prequels And Sequels

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Not to be a dick here, but the page you linked to makes you wait for an advert to show before the article will load.
As it's a new thread, you could've copy & pasted the news & saved us all from sitting through it.

LOS ANGELES, CA, MARCH 3, 2011—Warner Bros-based financing and production company Alcon Entertainment (“The Blind Side,” “The Book of Eli”) co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, in the most significant property acquisition negotiations in the Company’s 13-year history, are in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic 1982 science-fiction thriller “Blade Runner.”

Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on “Blade Runner” along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Alcon’s franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original. The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film. The project would be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. International rights are yet to be determined.

Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only.”

Among its many distinctions, “Blade Runner” has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by countless polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released by Warner Bros. almost 30 years ago, "Blade Runner" was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark “Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction).

“Blade Runner” was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

Alcon’s COO Scott Parish and head of business affairs David Fierson are negotiating on behalf of the Company.

I could've done without seeing the original blade runner, so i'll be avoiding any remakes or sequels that result from this.
Last edited by King Of Nowhere on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Sorry about that.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

observe KON with his model of a "kinder, gentler Zoner" which will help retain new members while strengthening communicative bonds between long time members...

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 pm

From /film 2008/09/29:
/Film Exclusive: Eagle Eye Co-Writers Working on Blade Runner 2
Peter Sciretta wrote:
Tanner C. wrote:“I recently attended a Q&A session with one of the writers of ‘Eagle Eye’ after a free screening organized by the magazine Creative Screenwriting. During the Q&A, the writer said that he and whomever it was that helped him co-write the ‘Eagle Eye’ screenplay were in the process of writing a sequel to Blade Runner, and had already contacted the producers of the original, etc., etc. This is probably a load of empty words/wishful thinking on his part, but I for one am appalled by just the notion of a Blade Runner sequel, and thought you’d be as well, so I thought perhaps you’d like to look into this yourself and perhaps use your soapbox to get some fanboys a little pissed, as well. If not, then at least you have a scoop.”

Okay first of all, lets make sure we know who exactly we’re talking about. The screenwriters in question are not Alex Kurtzman or Roberto Orci, but instead Eagle Eye co-writer Travis Wright (who was at the event) and his Eagle Eye co-writer John Glenn.

Wright produced a 2005 animated movie which spoofed disaster films, called Disaster! The Movie. While at UCLA, Wright won the Jack Nicholson prize in screenwriting for his WWII drama Hunting the Wolf. At one point Wright and Glenn were attached to write a remake of The Warriors for Tony Scott/Paramount and Louis Leterrier’s remake of Clash of the Titans.

Wright revealed at the Creative Screenwriting event that they have been working on various treatments for a Blade Runner sequel over the last couple years. And there is also the claim that recently the duo have been working with Blade Runner co-executive producer Bud Yorkin on the project. It should be noted that Yorkin likely doesn’t control the rights to a Blade Runner sequel, and all of this is being developed outside of the studio. But this isn’t just some small side project, Travis also claims that they are already working with a previsualization team on some of the hunter action sequences for their eventual pitch with the studio. I don’t believe that Ridley Scott is involved, but the screenwriting team has worked directly with his brother Tony Scott on projects, so their might be a possible connection.

From Latino Review 2008/09/29:
George 'El Guapo' Roush wrote:More news from Judao:

It’s true, folks! Hot source on the project states that Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner sequel is in the works under the command of veteran producer Bud Yorkin. Top screenwriters John Glenn and Travis Wright (Eagle Eye)

Yorkin already mentioned that if the green light is given, he’ll bring back stars Harrison Ford, Hutger Hauer and Daryl Hannah.

Click HERE to read the rest of that article.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Firstly...

Latino Review September 29, 2008:
Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner sequel is in the works under the command of veteran producer Bud Yorkin.

Yorkin already mentioned that if the green light is given, he’ll bring back stars Harrison Ford, Hutger Hauer and Daryl Hannah.

Click HERE to read the rest of that article.

YOU WISH!!!

Hollywood might be for dreamers, but not THAT kind of dreamer.

From /film 2010/03/26:
Is Ridley and Tony Scott’s Blade Runner Spin-Off Actually Happening?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 pm

I don't want to see anyone of them back, honestly, because I don't want to see replicants age. And they were all replicants, in my mind.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:22 am

I never asked for a Blade Runner sequel. Making a more faithful adaptation of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" would be cool. There were some awesome plot threads in the book that were left out of the movie, like the all android precinct and the tele-religions.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:I never asked for a Blade Runner sequel. Making a more faithful adaptation of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" would be cool. There were some awesome plot threads in the book that were left out of the movie, like the all android precinct and the tele-religions.

Excellent points and true. I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Hollywood frenzy: Das reboots - Alcon duo tread carefully with plans to expand classic
Dave McNary wrote:"Time to die," said Rutger Hauer's Roy Batty at the end of his programmed replicant lifespan in 1982's "Blade Runner." But in Hollywood, nothing ever really dies -- especially if it has brand recognition and franchise potential.

Last week's news that Alcon bought rights to expand the iconic sci-fi pic with prequels and sequels no doubt stirred up fans for better or worse. But for Hollywood producers and creators, it also stirs up questions of how a beloved property can be smartly exploited while maintaining the cachet of the original.

Attempts have ranged from stellar to so-so; Paramount largely achieved the feat with its reboot of "Star Trek" in 2009; the 1998 "Godzilla" fell far short; and George Lucas failed to match the acclaim or B.O. of the first three with his own "Star Wars" prequels -- even though those three grossed $2.4 billion worldwide.

Alcon toppers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson have stressed that they're sorting out how to proceed, including whetherto approach "Blade Runner" director Ridley Scott -- who's developing a fourth "Alien" for Fox.

Alcon has produced and financed mid-budget mainstream films including "The Blind Side" and "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." The "Blade Runner" deal will transform the 14-year-old company -- or earn it the scorn of a rabid and vocal fan base.

"We recognize the responsibility. We have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce," Kosove and Broderick said in a statement. "We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only."

Alcon ventured into sci-fi last year with "The Book of Eli," which grossed $157 million worldwide.

"The fact that we had a good experience with 'Eli' gave us a comfort level with doing science fiction," Johnson told Variety.

The original "Blade Runner" was a flop theatrically, with less than $28 million in box office for Warner Bros. before going on to become a genre touchstone. Scott's 1992 director's cut contained significant changes, including removal of Harrison Ford's voiceover. A year later, the film was selected for preservation in the U.S. National Film Registry.

Three decades after the fact, it's striking how poorly "Blade Runner" was received on initial release -- particularly since it starred Ford, the biggest movie star in the world in 1982 following the first two "Star Wars" films and "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

But transmedia marketing strategies hadn't been fully developed at that point -- with notable exceptions such as the "Star Wars" movies, which spun off TV shows, books, toys and games, and, of course, more movies.

The Alcon deal also highlights Hollywood's long-standing love affair with the late Philip K. Dick, who wrote the novel on which "Blade Runner" was based, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Universal opened "The Adjustment Bureau" this weekend, based on Dick's 1954 short story "Adjustment Team" -- the seventh feature based on Dick's material. Opening weekend gross was a solid $20.9 million.

The prolific scribe penned 44 novels and 121 short stories, nearly all in the sci-fi realm. Dick continues to be a fount of material for studios long after his death at age 53, three months before "Blade Runner" opened.

But as "Blade Runner" grew in stature, studios began to mine Dick's library, starting in 1990 with "Total Recall," based on the story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," followed by "Minority Report," "Paycheck," "A Scanner Darkly" and "Next."

Scott's Scott Free U.S. is developing Dick's "The Man in the High Castle" as a four-part miniseries for the BBC.

It didn't hurt that "Total Recall" and "Minority Report" were solid hits, even though sci-fi franchises are a tricky business.

Two years ago, after completing work on "Terminator: Salvation," Halcyon toppers Victor Kubicek and Derek Anderson picked "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said" as the debut project they would produce through their first-look deal with Dick's estate.

Halcyon filed for Chapter 11 protection a few months later as a result of a dispute with hedge fund Pacificor, which now owns the rights to the "Terminator" franchise. "Terminator Salvation," the fourth film, carried a production pricetag of about $200 million and took in $371 million worldwide -- despite a largely unenthusiastic critical reception.

Summit's been attempting for the past two years to reboot its "Highlander" franchise, announcing in September 2009 that it was gearing up the fantasy actioner with original producer Peter Davis along with Neal Moritz producing and Justin Lin directing. The original 1986 "Highlander," directed by Russell Mulcahy, launched four sequels and three TV spinoffs.

Meanwhile, Paramount's now prepping its twelfth iteration of "Star Trek." The 2009 reboot, produced and directed by J.J. Abrams, seemed to satisfy fans and critics well enough to buy some leeway for future installments that essentially negate the original "Star Trek" universe.

The notion of reboots has been most successful in the revival of the Batman franchise, thanks to the idea of "transmedia storytelling," taking the concept of the bible -- a document containing backstory information that film and TV writers rely on for building plots and characters -- to an extensive new level.

Alcon's precluded from remaking the original "Blade Runner," in which Ford's character is a retired police operative who hunts escaped replicants in the neo-noir world of 2019 Los Angeles. But Dick's scenarios provide plenty to work with -- including an early scene in which M. Emmett Walsh's character memorably implores Ford's Rick Dekkard to come out of retirement.

"I need ya, Decks," he says. "This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner. I need your magic."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tapehead on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 am

Who knows? the guy started wearing an earring a few years back and happily signed on for the last 'Indy' atrocity, so he obviously has very little good taste or judgement.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:55 am

tapehead wrote:

Who knows? the guy started wearing an earring a few years back and happily signed on for the last 'Indy' atrocity, so he obviously has very little good taste or judgement.

I don't know whether to be sick or to cry.

Maybe both.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:41 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Ridley Scott is returning to the Dick-verse!!!!

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/08/ ... er-reboot/

First Prometheus, now this? Where's that Black Rain follow up we've been begging for???

Updated w/ AICN post . . . http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50859
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:Ridley Scott is returning to the Dick-verse!!!!

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/08/ ... er-reboot/

First Prometheus, now this? Where's that Black Rain follow up we've been begging for???

Updated w/ AICN post . . . http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50859

:P

Not sure if Sir Ridley is going back to the well a bit too much at this point. And chances are he will hold info on this new movie close to his chest (ala Prometheus) so we won't know what the hell is really going on for a long, long time...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Is Russell Crowe going to star in it? Because if he is,

"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Blade Runner needs no revisiting, unless they want to go back to Dick's novel and scrap the BR title.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:31 pm

DennisMM wrote:Blade Runner needs no revisiting...

I was watching the original last night & wondering where the fuck the unicorn was, Fried Gold told me about the 396827834 different cuts of the movie flying around and some of the non-unicorn related changes as well.

It's a bit late to say it "needs no revisiting" when it's already been re-cut more times than the original Star Wars trilogy.

Also (and this is leading me to think this thread is a dupe*), Soldier!

*i remember posting the exact same thing back in late 07/early 08.

On a slightly related note, i'm still not sure if I like the original. I wan't to check out the 5 disc set, but it'll be a waste of time if I end up not liking it again. The 4 disc set of all the Dawn of the Dead cuts made me enjoy that movie more than the version id seen on TV a few times, so I dunno.

IN B4 "get thee to thine Blade Runner 4873895894 Disc Edition: The Final Cut thread"

Peven wrote:observe KON with his model of a "kinder, gentler Zoner" which will help retain new members while strengthening communicative bonds between long time members...

I'll quite happily piss The Butcher off if it prevents every other zoner from being pissed off at being forced into a treasure hunt just to read some movie news.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby DennisMM on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Revisiting the story with sequels and prequels and other tales in the same setting is not the same as recutting the film into multiple versions. All of the BR cuts, from theatrical to "final," feature Ford as the protagonist and Hauer as the antagonist. They have the same storyline and showcase mostly the same themes, though some themes are more obvious in different versions. They vary in the details, some large and some small, but they obviously are the same picture. It's not like Two-Minute Warning, a late-'70s thriller that came to TV in a three-hour version for which they filmed close to an hour of new material. It's not like The Whip Hand, originally based around Hitler having survived WW II and Nazis infiltrating a rural town, which was changed at the studio's direction to be about communists infiltrating the same town, with much reshooting. The concepts aren't interchangeable.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 pm

DennisMM wrote:Revisiting the story with sequels and prequels and other tales in the same setting is not the same as recutting the film into multiple versions. All of the BR cuts, from theatrical to "final," feature Ford as the protagonist and Hauer as the antagonist. They have the same storyline and showcase mostly the same themes, though some themes are more obvious in different versions. They vary in the details, some large and some small, but they obviously are the same picture. It's not like Two-Minute Warning, a late-'70s thriller that came to TV in a three-hour version for which they filmed close to an hour of new material. It's not like The Whip Hand, originally based around Hitler having survived WW II and Nazis infiltrating a rural town, which was changed at the studio's direction to be about communists infiltrating the same town, with much reshooting. The concepts aren't interchangeable.

I dunno, if Ford is a replicant then isn't he fighting himself, with Hauer & the rest of them he's hunting down being obstacles as he tries to prove to himself that he's more than an android?
I know the antagonist is just the main bad guy, but wouldn't he be antagonised by the knowledge of what he is?
Hauer seems to hate himself because perfection is unattainable, so wouldn't Deckard be in the same emotional place (only without the enhanced ageing thing pissing him off as well)?

I've only seen the movie twice & last night was the first time in about 10 years, so i'm sure you'll have a better understanding of the movie, but i think forcing the idea of Deckard not being human via subliminal unicorns in the Director's Cut version changes the movie from good guy v bad guy to, well, more the sort of First Blood type situation where the main character is more of a bad guy that we happen to connect with.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Why Ridley Scott returning to 'Blade Runner' really is the beginning of the end - As the snake eats its tail and Rome burns, we weigh in on the state of Hollywood
Moriarty wrote:It is easy to get worked up over remakes and prequels and sequels these days, but it's also not terribly productive. This is the modern Hollywood film industry in the year 2011, and you can either accept that or you can rail against it, but either way, they're going to keep on doing business this way until there is a compelling reason for them to not do business this way.

I wrote about my experience at Comic-Con this summer with the "Prometheus" panel, and certainly I hope that film delivers something special when it is released next year. I am willing to walk into it open-minded, especially since it's not like the "Alien" franchise is this untouched, pristine thing. Any time your iconic creation has already been roughed up behind the bleachers by Paul "Show me on the teddy bear where he touched your favorite movie" W.S. Anderson, it's fair game for anyone. Besides, having Ridley Scott back in the world that he helped create in the original 1979 film is interesting, no doubt about it.

But that "helped create" is important, and something to consider today as the news breaks that once again, Ridley Scott is planning to revisit one of the SF worlds he was part of with a "follow-up" to "Blade Runner" being announced this morning. And while I'm a big fan of the 1982 film, I think the notion of any sequel or prequel in that world is a terrible one. Awful. Catastrophically bad.

The simple truth is that not all films are franchises, and not every narrative can support a sequel or a prequel. This disturbing idea that has taken hold that we need to wring every drop of creative juice out of any film that has ever attracted any audience of any size is, quite honestly, death. This is what the death throes of studio filmmaking look like, folks, and the only real or substantial thing that film fans can do is grab a bag of marshmallows to roast as the whole thing goes up in flames. People love to point at the occasional fluke like "Inception" as proof that the system isn't broken beyond repair, but the only reason that film happened was because Christopher Nolan made a remake, which convinced the studio he was responsible enough for them to trust him with a reboot, and then he made a sequel to his reboot that made a billion dollars. And for that, finally, they "rewarded" him with the opportunity to make something he wrote. That ended up making the studio some $800 million, which is great, and which guarantees him more freedom. So far, he's used that freedom to sign on to direct another sequel while producing, yes, another reboot. This is the guy film fans love to hold up as an example for how to do it right in Hollywood, but so far, what I see is a very good filmmaker who is still having to navigate the same blood-filled waters as everyone else. He does it well, certainly, but he's still stuck in the same box that other filmmakers are, and his work hasn't changed the system at all. If anything, he's given the studios more ammunition to prove that what they are doing is right. It works. It's the correct model to follow.

Ridley Scott may never set foot on a set for a "Blade Runner" follow-up. Signing a deal is one thing, while making the actual film is something totally different. There's a long way to go before that film is a real and tangible thing. And in that time, they may end up deciding not to ever roll film, something that's happened with plenty of in-development projects, particularly with things Ridley Scott has been attached to over the years. After all, I'm not sitting down this summer to a big-screen giant-budget version of "The Forever War," so just because he says he's going to direct something, that doesn't mean it will really get a greenlight.

With "Blade Runner," though, there is a special level of anxiety that the announcement brings. I've said before that the real problem with filmmakers who go back to continue screwing around with a film after it's been in release is that filmmakers often have no understanding of what it is that an audience loves about a film. Once you've released it, you have to stop touching it, because further adjustments could well erase the thing that made it important to someone. You could screw up a character or the timing of a sequence or a thematic point, and the various versions of "Blade Runner" perfectly highlight that problem. When I first got Internet access in 1994, I was amazed to find people in newsgroups debating ideas like "Was Deckard a replicant in 'Blade Runner'?," especially since I know from firsthand experience in 1982 that general audiences totally rejected the film. That ambiguity, and the way the film left room for interpretation, was one of the reasons it lingered so well. When Ridley Scott started playing around with the movie and adding new effects and tinkering with it after the brief release of the Workprint version, all of a sudden that ambiguity started getting a lot less ambiguous, and Scott seemed determined to answer the question for us. I found it infuriating, but at least I knew I still had the original version of the film to go back to. If Scott's planning to return to the world of the movie, I'm afraid of him creating something which will not just rob that first movie of any and all ambiguity, but which will make me wonder if what I saw in the original film was ever really there at all. He can't erase the original from existence, but he can absolutely destroy my interest in the narrative, and I'm afraid that when it comes to "Blade Runner," he's the last person I want to see playing around with that property.

Let's assume, though, that it will be brilliant and awesome and just as good as the first film. It still worries me deeply that this is the best job we can find for Sir Ridley Scott at this point in his career. He's created iconic images and characters and movies for 30-plus years, and the best Hollywood can come up with is, "Hey, want to do the exact same thing AGAIN?" It is a failure on every level. It would be one thing if some young filmmaker who grew up in love with "Blade Runner" managed to get into a position where he had a shot at adding something to that property, something substantial, and took it out of a genuine creative drive to play with this thing that inspired him. If Duncan Jones was the name attached this morning, my interest level would be higher because I know that Jones holds the first movie sacred and that he's had years to let it rattle around inside of him. I'm willing to bet that anything he made in that universe would feel organic and motivated by a genuine desire to tell a new story. The piece that ran on the LA Times today about how Ridley Scott ended up in the director's chair again pays lip service to the idea of Ridley as a storyteller, but the word that is the real subtext here is "BRANDING." And it doesn't even matter if "Blade Runner" was a box-office disaster in 1982, which it was. After all, there's a prequel to "The Thing" coming out this year, and last Christmas saw a sequel to "TRON" on the bigscreen, so obviously box-office failures in one decade are catnip to studio executives in another, all because of the legwork that real fans did in the decades in-between.

Maybe that's the real reason this rubs me so wrong. "Blade Runner" failed by every standard of business measurement. It was beaten senseless by critics at the time. But I was twelve years old, and I didn't care what critics said. I knew when I sat in that theater and saw that film that I loved it, and for years afterwards, any time it came up in conversation, I would find myself defending it to people who only knew it as a failure. The film's long ancillary life was driven by genuine love, by fans who passed it along, by people who refused to have their opinion determined by opening weekend numbers or by toy sales. And now, because of that love, because we kept the film alive long after even its own studio gave up on it, it has become this asset, a valuable widget, and Hollywood wants to make some money with it. And they are counting on those of us who love the original to carry the word. They hired Ridley Scott because they figure that makes them bulletproof. "You can't get upset! We got Ridley Scott back!"

But we can. And we are. And we don't want it. I am fatigued from all of this, and like everyone else, I've gotten to the point where I almost don't notice it. This past week, I had a meeting at a studio, and they brought up a film that they want to remake, a film I (A) love and (B) acknowledge isn't as good as I wish it was, and right away, I started thinking about what a great opportunity it is and how much fun it would be to get my hands on it and pull it apart and rebuild it the way I always wanted to see it done. And I acknowledge that having that meeting and writing this article in the same week makes me a rotten, rotten hypocrite. I'll chase that job, too. I want that job. And if I get it, I'm sure there will be many editorials about what a sell-out piece of crap I am for doing so. And you'll be right. It is blatantly hypocritical, and I know it. And even so, I still say I don't want Ridley Scott to return to "Blade Runner" for a prequel or a sequel or a requel or a reboot or a remagining or, frankly, anything. I just don't want him to do it. I don't want to see it. I don't want to cover it. I don't want to know it's out there.

I don't blame Alcon Entertainment for buying the rights. I'm sure they were able to produce numbers on a spreadsheet that justify the purchase. But this craven age is burning down my love of movies in general, and it is starting to get terrifying. I don't want to spend the next decade of my life feeling this way, but I don't get a vote. All I can do is spend my money to support the things that are genuinely fresh or new or motivated by more than market share, and that's all you can do, as well.

With that in mind, are you for or against this one? Would you or would you not happily hand over your ticket price?

Answer wisely, because Hollywood is listening, and they are more than happy to ruin any property you can name.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 am

Typical Moriarty, fearmongering and woe-is-this-industry nonsense.

Anybody who thinks Hollywood is failing to produce original content should just go to IMDB. Go through the calendar week by week of the films that will be released. Of the 4 or 5 Hollywood movies being released each week, usually 3 of them are original. I grew up in a time when there were maybe two new movies a week, sometimes one. Sure Hollywood is producing more remakes and sequels than ever, but that's because it's producing more everything than ever. Proportionally, the ratio of original to unoriginal movies probably about what it's always been.

Hollywood has been in the remake and sequel racket since the second week it was in business. Our current era isn't the "death throws" of a dying industry, it's business as usual going back to the 50s or whatever. And it seems to be working for them.

The only things I agree with Moriarty on is that he's a hypocrite and his opinion of Nolan's career.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:08 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:45 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 am

If they got Ford back for this I would probably eat my hat. Ford is pretty candid about what an unpleasant experience it was making BLADE RUNNER and that he doesn't like the film.

Since Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe have broken up, my guess is we'll be seeing Michael Fasbender in a Deckard-esque role. Aside from Fassbender getting every role that Tom Hardy doesn't these days, Scott has Fassbender in PROMETHEUS and the two talk like they enjoy working together. It seems like a logical progression.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Harrison Ford Asked To Reprise Role In ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel
BREAKING: Alcon Entertainment has an offer out to Harrison Ford to reprise his role of Rick Deckard in its Ridley Scott-directed sequel to Blade Runner. Original screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Michael Green are writing the new one, which takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original. Alcon Entertainment acquired the Blade Runner’s film, television and ancillary rights in 2011 from producer Bud Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels of the sci-fi cult classic. Yorkin will serve as a producer on the sequel along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Alcon’s actually sent a press release out saying that it offered DEVELOPING
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Wouldn't casting Old Man Ford kind of ruin the ambiguity of the first film? It would be like an Inception sequel that starts with the top falling over.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 19, 2014 11:23 am

Ribbons wrote:Wouldn't casting Old Man Ford kind of ruin the ambiguity of the first film? It would be like an Inception sequel that starts with the top falling over.

So you've read Kirk's script for Inception 2?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 pm

In which Ellen gets rid of her top?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Exclusive: Blade Runner 2 Script is Finished
Don Kaye wrote:Screenwriter and television producer Michael Green is a busy man. He is currently writing (with Bryan Fuller) the first three scripts for the proposed Starz cable TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods, and he recently completed work on the screenplay for one of the most talked-about projects in geekdom right now: director Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner 2.

Although Green is naturally unable to offer anything in the way of plot or character specifics, he did drop one interesting tidbit when asked about the script: “As far as I know, Harrison Ford has read it and liked it, but that is hearsay,” he says before adding, “I can tell you that working with Ridley Scott is a career highlight and one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. They say don’t meet your heroes -- in the case of Ridley Scott, go ahead, you'll only revere him more."

Green – who has also been writing a new draft of Prometheus 2 for the tireless Scott – acknowledged that “there's probably some work to do on (the Blade Runner 2 script) should we get to the production phase,” but said that Scott “was happy with the script…now it's a question of whether and when he and the studio choose to pursue it."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Ridley Scott Says BLADE RUNNER 2 Script is Ready to Go; No Xenomorphs in PROMETHEUS 2?
Perri Nemiroff wrote:While talking to Yahoo about Exodus: Gods and Kings, Scott noted that he met with Harrison Ford to discuss Blade Runner 2 just before he hurt his leg on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII:
“We met the night before he had the accident, so I hope I had nothing to do with it.”

Scott also insisted that the Blade Runner 2 script is written and ready to go:
“It’s on the charts. I can’t say when that would be yet, because of [Ford’s] thing with ‘Star Wars’. It’s a sequel – it’s what happens next. It’s quite surprisingly clever.”

As for Prometheus 2, the script still needs work, but Scott seems determined to make it happen:
“Right now, as we speak, it’s being written. I’ve had 15 drafts evolving. I definitely want to do that again because I really enjoyed doing ‘Prometheus.’”

While discussing the mixed reactions to Prometheus, Scott said something that could suggest that the Xenomorphs will be absent from the sequel:
“The beast is done. Cooked. I got lucky meeting Giger all those years ago. It’s very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it’s obscene. They didn’t want to do it and I said, ‘I want to do it, it’s fantastic’. But after four (he has conveniently forgotten the ‘AvP’ movies), I think it wears out a little bit. There’s only so much snarling you can do. I think you’ve got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we’ve found the next step. I thought the Engineers were quite a good start.”

Xenomorphs or no Xenomorphs, let’s hope they lock that script in soon enough and Scott considers passing directorial duties over to someone else because if The Martian and Blade Runner 2 really do come first, such a big gap between Prometheus and the sequel could become a problem in a number of respects.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Ridley Scott Says He Won’t Direct BLADE RUNNER 2 But It Starts Shooting in 2015; Harrison Ford Appears in the Third Act
Adam Chitwood wrote:In a lengthy profile in Variety, it’s mentioned that Scott already knows what he’ll be shooting after The Martian, but it won’t be Blade Runner 2:
“[Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and I] talked at length about what it could be, and came up with a pretty strong three-act storyline, and it all makes sense in terms of how it relates to the first one.”

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:17 am

'Blade Runner' Sequel Finds Director
Harrison Ford will reprise his role as Rick Deckard.
Prisoners director Denis Villeneuve is in talks to helm the Alcon Entertainment film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby max314 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:00 pm

TheButcher wrote:While discussing the mixed reactions to Prometheus, Scott said something that could suggest that the Xenomorphs will be absent from the sequel:
“The beast is done. Cooked. [..] There’s only so much snarling you can do.

Try telling that to Neill Blomkamp.

I'm actually happy that Ridley is working to deconstruct and examine the Alien mythology he created whilst surrogate fanboy Blomkamp gets to do his fan fiction retcon of what happened post-Aliens.

Pretty exciting.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:41 am

Spandau Belly wrote:If they got Ford back for this I would probably eat my hat. Ford is pretty candid about what an unpleasant experience it was making BLADE RUNNER and that he doesn't like the film.

Well....

Get eatin', son!

As for this script being the best thing Harrison Ford's ever read. I don't know if that's because he's old and his memory is starting to go, or if they tossed in an extra million bucks to get him to say that, or who knows, maybe it is really good.

Honestly, I'd probably feel more optimistic if Ford wasn't coming back at all. I think, like a lot of these old franchises, they'd be better off to just keep the setting and start with a fresh batch of characters. Not that it worked out for PROMETHEUS. But who knows, maybe it is a really amazing story. I am surprised they're even making this. I like Denis Villeneuve, even though ENEMY didn't do anything for me. I think he could do a really cool movie in setting like the Blade Runner world.

Anyway, I'll probably see this.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:44 am

Meh. Gosling has yet to impress me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Too lazy to find a link for this news (now a few weeks old), but Roger Deakins is going to be the DP for this new Blade Runner movie. Which means I kind of want to see it now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:28 am

Here's what the "Sicario" director will bring to his "Blade Runner" sequel
The drug trafficking drama was largely inspired by a scene from "Seven Samurai."
Erin Whitney wrote:The film also relies a lot on a growing tension. How do you create tension in a way that doesn’t turn the film into a typical action-thriller, since “Sicario” is far from that?

It’s a good question. It’s very instinctive. [...] Tension, I love the fact that it’s coming from stillness and silence, expectations and fear. How to create tension? That’s a thing I would be able to answer in 25 years. I will say, for this movie, I was inspired by Kurosawa's “Seven Samurai,” which is one of my favorite movies. There’s a scene I was so impressed [by] when I saw this movie the first time. A young samurai and an old samurai, they are in the woods and they are waiting together and talking together. And suddenly the young one says, "The thieves are coming." [...] You know violence is coming and there’s nothing happening. When the thieves are coming, it’s a very powerful shot, very quick, of the old samurai rising and killing them. But it was so tense, and nothing was happening. I was always amazed how he was able to bring such a level of tension with stillness. That was a big lesson for me and that was a big inspiration for “Sicario,” that sequence.

Is that something you’d also bring into your “Blade Runner” sequel?

It’s something I like to explore a lot, to be simple and try to express an action sequence in more simple ways. That’s the thing I love about Roger Deakins; he’s a master at trying to find the most powerful angle, and you explore that angle as much as possible. We always shoot with one camera, and “Sicario” was shot with one camera. It was really trying to find the strongest approach from one perspective.

You’ve done so much original work, how are you going to approach a sequel to a classic sci-fi film?

I said to myself that I would never do that, that I would never do a sequel. I was not interested in taking someone else’s universe. But "Blade Runner," I was not able to say no. It’s by far one of my favorite, if not my favorite movie of all time. I’m a huge, huge Ridley Scott fan. The thing that I felt in the screenplay is the movie has its own personality. The movie stands on its own. It really had its own life. So I said, "All right. I’ll be able to create a world." But it’s of course coming from the first one, but I have space to exist there.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:32 am

Ribbons wrote:Too lazy to find a link for this news (now a few weeks old), but Roger Deakins is going to be the DP for this new Blade Runner movie. Which means I kind of want to see it now.

Roger Deakins Will Shoot ‘Blade Runner 2′ For Denis Villeneuve
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:58 pm

It seems like Batista is in it.

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:56 pm

So what are we thinking, replicant? He's gotta be a replicant, right?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:44 am

A unicorn.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:25 am

he's a real boy

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:09 am

Ribbons wrote:So what are we thinking, replicant? He's gotta be a replicant, right?

They should play him against character and have him be the super genius scientist. Worked for Denise Richards in that Bond movie, right?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:12 am

Denis Villeneuve on Making ‘Arrival’, ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel His Way Within Studio System
A longstanding dream of mine is to adapt “Dune,” but it’s a long process to get the rights, and I don’t think I will succeed.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ‘Blade Runner 2049’

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:02 pm

The teaser is out, and it's short on details but long on sweet cinematography:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: ‘Blade Runner 2049’

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:03 pm

The CG Harrison Ford is pretty realistic.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie Discussion