Hunger Games!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Hunger Games!

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 am

Right, well the film adaptation of Suzanne Collins' HUNGER GAMES is casting at the moment with Academy Award Nominee (and all out hottie) Jenifer Lawerence confirmed for the lead role of Katniss. The film is going to be directed by Gary Ross.

Now, for those that do not know (and I expect that would be a good deal of you) the Hunger Games is a "young-adult" novel about a bleak future where nuclear devastation has left civilization in an odd state. The evil Capitol rules over 12 Districts in a very authoritarian fashion. The people in the Capitol get nice food, dress in the latest trends, and have access to futuristic technology. Whereas the districts live in squalor and are forced into hard labor for the benefit of the people of the Capitol. Long ago, the districts rebelled, but they were defeated and now, as punishment, every year the capital takes 2 youths from each district and forces them to fight to the death for the amusement of the Capitol in what are called The Hunger Games.

It is all a bit Running Man meets Battle Royale, but it actually isn't half bad. The writing is much more tolerable than the TWILIGHT franchise, and the "romance" between the two leads is actually a layered exploration of complicated emotions. In all honesty, it really doesn't deserve the "young-adult" label at all.

In the right hands, this could be a really cool flick that appeases tweens and adults alike. I doubt the studio will let it reach its full potential, but I am really hopeful.

Here is the story announcing the casting of Lawerence:

Last week, word began circulating that actress Jennifer Lawrence from Winter's Bone was the "clear frontrunner" for the lead role of Katniss Everdeen in Gary Ross' adaptation of Suzanne Collins' best-selling young adult novel The Hunger Games, set for release by Lionsgate on March 23, 2012. Now, it's been confirmed by TheWrap that the 20-year-old Academy Award-nominated actress has indeed signed on for the lead role, and we can expect more casting news to follow shortly.

The story takes place in a future where teens are chosen by lottery to compete in deadly fighting games and Lawrence's role is that of a girl who volunteers to join one such contest in order to save her community. (Lecko's Note: This is not true. She volunteers to save her sister). It's a role that was thought to be one of the hottest gigs in town with many young actresses including fellow young Oscar nominees Hailee Steinfeld and Abigail Breslin competing for the role. Once Lawrence moved to the lead, her deal was worked out in less than 48 hours, according to The Wrap, presumably signing on for the entire trilogy. The first movie directed by Ross will be followed by movies based on Collins' other two novels, "Catching Fire" and "Mockingjay."

Three names have already been mentioned for the male lead of Peeta Mellark, including Alex Pettyfer (I Am Number Four, Beastly), Josh Hutcherson (The Kids are All Right) and Hunter Parrish ("Weeds").

Lawrence has already finished filming three other films since Winter's Bone that should be released in the coming year including Jodie Foster's The Beaver starring Mel Gibson, Matthew Vaughn's X-Men: First Class playing the young Mystique, and a supporting role in Drake Doremus' Like Crazy, which was bought by Paramount at this year's Sundance Film Festival.

Read more: Jennifer Lawrence Confirmed for The Hunger Games - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienew ... z1Gs0T4F3X
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Hunger Games!

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Liking Jennifer Lawrence in the lead role as I fell in love with her in Winter's Bone. Here's hoping the rest of the cast is as good. I'd love to see Brian Cox as their mentor/drunkard.

I had a few minor quibbles with the books that I hope they can avoid DNA werewolf dogs springs to mind first and I know the Hunger Games fandom is kind of divided on Book #3 and the conclusion. But it is very well written YA lit. Wouldn't have pictured Gary Ross for the director though, this is pretty action heavy
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Bloo wrote:Liking Jennifer Lawrence in the lead role as I fell in love with her in Winter's Bone. Here's hoping the rest of the cast is as good. I'd love to see Brian Cox as their mentor/drunkard.

I had a few minor quibbles with the books that I hope they can avoid DNA werewolf dogs springs to mind first and I know the Hunger Games fandom is kind of divided on Book #3 and the conclusion. But it is very well written YA lit. Wouldn't have pictured Gary Ross for the director though, this is pretty action heavy

I really believe that each book is better than the one that precedes it. I thought the last book was extremely bold and made the appropriate difficult decisions.

Adapting the book faithfully would most certainly require an R-rating. They'll likely shoot for a PG-13, which can be done, but requires a very delicate hand.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Bloo wrote:Liking Jennifer Lawrence in the lead role as I fell in love with her in Winter's Bone. Here's hoping the rest of the cast is as good. I'd love to see Brian Cox as their mentor/drunkard.

I really believe that each book is better than the one that precedes it. I thought the last book was extremely bold and made the appropriate difficult decisions.

Adapting the book faithfully would most certainly require an R-rating. They'll likely shoot for a PG-13, which can be done, but requires a very delicate hand.

I loved the 3rd book as well, but my friends that turned me unto the series HATED it and most of the things I thought were really silly in the first book, weren't in the third, so I have hope for the movie. But yeah if they get to that third book, there's going to be some challenges. There's some intense violence and some controversial deaths. My only real complaint about Mockingjay is there's a portion in the last half where it feels like Collins watched Aliens and then c&p it then changed the character's names
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed May 11, 2011 12:30 pm

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-capt ... nger-games

Woody Harrelson's training the tributes as Haymitch in 'The Hunger Games'

By Drew McWeeny - Surprising choice could pay off in wonderful ways
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:45 AM

Woody Harrelson has just been announced as Haymitch for "The Hunger Games," and I have to say… didn't see that coming, but I like it.

I haven't gone out of my way to cover every single casting hiccup on "The Hunger Games" precisely because I knew they risked burning audiences out on this before they've ever seen a frame of film. There are a ton of speaking roles in the first film, and as a result, Lionsgate has been careful to announce each new tribute, no matter how unknown the actor, and I've been waiting for a few key roles to write about instead.

Haymitch might be my favorite character in the books. He was the one tribute from District 12 to ever with the Hunger Games, and he's spent every year since then trying to burn the memory out of his head with booze. He's a ruined man in many ways, propped up by the Capitol as a symbol despite his best efforts. When Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) are picked as the tributes for this year, Haymitch is told to mentor them, and once he realizes they stand an actual chance of winning, he snaps himself out of his funk to try and teach them whatever they'll need to survive.

It's a great part, and I think Harrelson could turn out to be inspired casting. Just look at his work in "Zombieland," which seems almost like a variation on Haymitch. He's also one of those actors who younger actors seem to really enjoy working with, and that's important here.

At this point, I hope they're wrapping up all the casting talk and just getting ready to shoot. After all, they've got less than a year until this thing's in theaters, and it's not a tiny little indie they're shooting. Having just rewatched "Pleasantville" on Blu-ray about a week ago, I find myself very curious about what Gary Ross is going to do with this book, and I look forward to finding out soon.

Here's the full press release:

Lionsgate® and the filmmakers of THE HUNGER GAMES are pleased to announce that actor Woody Harrelson (NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, ZOMBIELAND) has been cast in the role of Haymitch Abernathy in the much anticipated film adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ worldwide smash hit novel.

Said director Gary Ross of the casting decision, “Haymitch is such an unforgettable character: funny cranky outrageous, sarcastic, impatient, biting but ultimately kind. I’m so grateful we have Woody Harrelson to play him. I can’t wait for us to get to work.”

Harrelson is represented by CAA.

About The Role

A Hunger Games victor himself, Haymitch has assumed the role of official mentor to all future tributes in his native District 12. Though he was strong and attractive in his youth, his years of hard living following his own experiences in the arena have rendered him jaded and unfocused to say the least. He begins to show signs of reinvigoration when he finally sees in Katniss and Peeta a pair of spirited tributes- true contenders whose fate might actually hinge on his advice and guidance.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed May 11, 2011 12:34 pm

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/09/h ... lickerman/

Stanley Tucci cast in 'The Hunger Games'
by Karen Valby

In a move bound to delight even the most wary of Hunger Games fans, Lionsgate announced today that Stanley Tucci (The Devil Wears Prada) will play smooth-talking interviewer Caesar Flickerman in the film adaptation. Flickerman is a pivotal supporting player throughout Suzanne Collins’ best-selling trilogy. It is he who’s charged with introducing Jennifer Lawrence’s Katniss Everdeen, as well as all the other tributes, to the Capitol audience. If the tributes are able to ingratiate themselves upon the audience in their brief time with Flickerman, they up their chances of survival.

Flickerman cuts a garish figure — in the 74th Hunger Games, his hair, lips, and eyelids are dyed powder blue and he wears a blue suit peppered with blinking lights — and, like most in the Capitol, has had extensive plastic surgery. The Hunger Games goes into production this month and will be in theaters March 23, 2012.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bloo on Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 pm

The Harrelson casting is not what I was expecting (personally I would have gone with Brian Cox...but I fantasy cast Brian Cox in EVERYTHING but dammit, I love him) but I think he could do an amazing job with the role, espcially if it's successful and they go with the other films in the series
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Obviously it's a potentially killer business model, but to further demonstrate Hollywood's utter lack of imagination, it has already been announced that the last Hunger Games book will be split into two movies. This is before a single frame of the first one has been shot, by the way. And all the books in the series are more or less the same length. But hey, Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hobbit all did it, so it's just what you do, right?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/01/hunger-games-four-movies/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Ribbons wrote:Obviously it's a potentially killer business model, but to further demonstrate Hollywood's utter lack of imagination, it has already been announced that the last Hunger Games book will be split into two movies. This is before a single frame of the first one has been shot, by the way. And all the books in the series are more or less the same length. But hey, Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hobbit all did it, so it's just what you do, right?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/01/hunger-games-four-movies/

Will there also be an animated SciFi series that bridges the gap between the movies?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm

There damn well better be.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:32 pm

somehow this escaped my attention but the simply gorgous Miss Elizabeth Banks aka the future Mrs. Ex-Bloo, has been cast in this as well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

The Movie Trailers 'R' Us Thread

Postby Bloo on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:46 am

Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Re: The Movie Trailers 'R' Us Thread

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 pm

You can colour me unimpressed with that HUNGER GAMES trailer. My homegirl Soairse Ronan would flip this bitch fifteen times before she even got her bow out.

I also poked around and read a bit about the plot but couldn't find anything that makes sense of the title. Everytime I heard the title all I could think of was a starvation competition in which several people would try to out-fast each other. Then when I heard it was some sort of BATTLE ROYALE / THUNDERDOME thing I figured the prize for winning this deathmatch was food in a world where food is scarce, but then nobody mentions anything about that. And that chick from WINTER BONERS doesn't exactly look malnourished (no, I'm not calling f@t). So unless they're competing for a copy of a Knut Hamsun novel, I don't get it.

So I'll probably skip this, although somebody mentioned one of the books involving a battle against lizardmen, so I might check out whatever movie that happens in.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Does the smoke monster from LOST appear in these books? Because I swear you can hear it in the first few seconds of that trailer...

And I'm with Spandau...Really unimpressed with that trailer. It just seems like another Most Dangerous Game knock off starring some brunette girl with a bow and an unseen Ryu from Street Fighter.

I know nothing of the books and this doesn't really pique my interest enough to go out and read them to see what all the hullabaloo is about. Maybe the next "for reals" trailer will start up some interest in those of us not currently up on YA lit...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:27 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:Does the smoke monster from LOST appear in these books? Because I swear you can hear it in the first few seconds of that trailer...
... an unseen Ryu from Street Fighter.

I feel like if they showed the dragon or Ryu or the Smoke Monster or whatever was shooting those fireballs the whole thing would suddenly start to look like a cut scene from SUCKERPUNCH. Personally, I hope it's just a f@t dude in a lawn chair sitting ten feet away operating a catapult.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Trailer....

Unfortunately not my kind of flick. Too much teen-angsty-drama going on for my tastes.

That said, my wife read the first book this past year, so I'll definitly be dragged along to see it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Looks decent to me. There's obviously some YA-themed love triangle melodrama going on, but the mysterious stuff happening around it has me intrigued. I have not read the books, but from what I understand they're like Twilight if Twilight didn't suck.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:22 pm

not sure about the execution of the story but I can see where they have borrowed heavily from at least several other books/movies, like a frankenstein of a movie.....I guess it could still be decent, though

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Bloo on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:23 pm

looks decent to me, Banks looked and sounded exactly how I pictured her character in the books
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 am

Holy hell, that was Elizabeth Banks? I thought it was an old lady.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 am

Yeah, that trailer really drove home that this is BATTLE ROYALE re-written for 12 year old girls. Doesn't look bad, but I'll skip it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 am

I thought it looked great. They did a nice job with the tone. I don't like the idea of Lenny Kravitz playing such a crucial role.

But Peeta was great!

May the odds be ever in your favor!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nice Marmot on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:25 pm

I have 30 pages left in book 1. I have high hopes that Peeta gets picked off with every new page.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:20 pm

I was just happy to see the trailer doesn't give away the whole damn movie.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I was just happy to see the trailer doesn't give away the whole damn movie.

That's a refreshing change. Dumb assed studios.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I was just happy to see the trailer doesn't give away the whole damn movie.

That's a refreshing change. Dumb assed studios.....

[insert joke about trailers for Titanic] [/cheap & easy gag]

This looks like a combination of Stephen King (as Richard Bachman)'s The Long Walk and Battle Royale. The tween target audience (is that really what it is?) is a tad unnerving, though.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:21 pm

The books are marketed as Young Adult, which theoretically means through high school but generally a younger-skewing audience. Lots of adults read YA stuff, though -- think Harry Potter.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:57 am

My teen daughter loved the books. She has been trying to get me to read them for a while now...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Bloo on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:00 am

I gave them to my sister to read after I read them (she's an 8th grader) and she loved them as well
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nice Marmot on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:40 pm

DennisMM wrote:The books are marketed as Young Adult, which theoretically means through high school but generally a younger-skewing audience. Lots of adults read YA stuff, though -- think Harry Potter.

I finished book one. The action was surprisingly good. The teen romance made Harry Potter look like the most adult material I've ever read.

Won't read book 2 til my wife starts reading The Drawing of the Three . . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Yeah, that trailer really drove home that this is BATTLE ROYALE re-written for 12 year old girls. Doesn't look bad, but I'll skip it.

I just started reading this, and I would actually say that it's more like Gladiator. Yes, there's a little bit of a Battle Royale thing going on as well, but the most important aspect of the story is the role of the media, and the difference between image and reality (plus with three books, I'm sure a revolt of some sort is looming on the horizon). The fact that they're children isn't really significant except for shock value.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm

I just found out I have to read this for one of my Lit classes in college. My response was "really?"
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey it's not bad, although it's probably got more to do with being popular
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:42 pm

I've read the entire series and it's not bad, but I was just surprised it was being offered at a college level lit class. Then again my teacher is kind of crazy, she wants to teach a course on vampires in lit
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Bloo wrote:I've read the entire series and it's not bad, but I was just surprised it was being offered at a college level lit class. Then again my teacher is kind of crazy, she wants to teach a course on vampires in lit

Its better then a course on Beyonce :roll:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

What have you been watching? (Cinema)

Postby justcheckin on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Saw Hunger Games today... it was pretty good. I didn't read the book so I really can't compare that but I liked the story line. There really weren't any plot twists that I didn't expect. I suppose we shall see how the next two movies turn out.

I saw a few really good trailers... Avengers (looks good), Snow White and the Huntsman (looks good), Dark Shadows (looks good)... the only one that I didn't buy into was the new Spideman movie. I just don't care really. Visually, its very colorful, the intensity of the color looks good in the action shots but I really just don't care.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:36 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:14 pm

In case someone hasn't seen it yet, there's a spoiler in that aticle
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby DennisMM on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Mods, isn't it time to move this thread to movie discussion?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby so sorry on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 pm

DennisMM wrote:Mods, isn't it time to move this thread to movie discussion?

Yes
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 am

Bah!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Ribbons wrote:Bah!

"Become an admin" they said.
"See the real Zone" they said!

:mrgreen:
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 pm

I am just blocking everything in the following post because it is mostly spoiler...

I haven't read the book like I said earlier. So, when I went with the friends who had, I asked them afterward about Rue being black. First, I teared up when Rue dies like everyone around me so I found it no less or more sad regardless of her age/race/gender. It was a sad part.

What I saw, not reading the book, was a possibly purposeful way to tie American civil rights imagery into the film. The film has its token black set of kids from district 11, not surprising that one of the sets of actors were black. I'm actually surprised they didn't use a few more ethnicities just to show how different the districts are supposed to be but with hollywood the way it is, I'm not surprised that majority of actors are white and only two were black. What I found striking was the revolt or riot that happens in district 11 after Rue dies. The people rise up, fight/riot, then there is the whole "white military/police" wearing white coming in to fire hose down the citizens. It was very 1960s America. I thought that maybe hollywood made district 11 and its tributes black to make some sort of social context apparent. However, I could be totally off.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:25 pm

the box office success of this movie is an example of how powerful hype is these days. the books may be very good but the movie is weak, crappy shaky cam over-used to the point of motion sickness, gaping holes in the plot(which are apparently covered in the book but left out of the movie), low over-all production quality, and such little time spent on other tributes that their deaths have zero emotional impact, even Rue's death does little to move the needle since so little time and effort was spent introducing her character. the level of production quality is less than some made-for-cable movies and fails terribly when compared to the level of quality in a series like "Game of Thrones", and yet it is making hundreds of millions of $$. Lawrence's performance leaves something to be desired as well, though Woody Harrelson gives a subtly quality performance and the actor who plays the male tribute from district 12 gives a strong performance that seems to be overlooked as well.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby justcheckin on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Peven wrote:the box office success of this movie is an example of how powerful hype is these days. the books may be very good but the movie is weak, crappy shaky cam over-used to the point of motion sickness, gaping holes in the plot(which are apparently covered in the book but left out of the movie), low over-all production quality, and such little time spent on other tributes that their deaths have zero emotional impact, even Rue's death does little to move the needle since so little time and effort was spent introducing her character. the level of production quality is less than some made-for-cable movies and fails terribly when compared to the level of quality in a series like "Game of Thrones", and yet it is making hundreds of millions of $$. Lawrence's performance leaves something to be desired as well, though Woody Harrelson gives a subtly quality performance and the actor who plays the male tribute from district 12 gives a strong performance that seems to be overlooked as well.

I think it is targeting teens and fans of the book just like the Twilight saga. Therefore the quality that some of us might expect isn't there because we aren't necessarily the target audience.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I would have to say that I was actually quite pleased with the adaptation. It's not as violent as it should have been, ideally, but I knew that it never would be. The shakycam aesthetic didn't bother me for the most part, and I thought it was used well during the beginning at District 12, because it gave you the impression that the characters were constantly being watched, which was most definitely intentional. The one instance where it really bothered me was the bloodbath at the "Cornucopia." Despite the fact that I understand the reasons for hiding the gore, it was really irritating to watch. Gary Ross might not be the best at spectacle, and it's fair to say that the Capitol sets seemed a little B-movie, but I think the character work that he and the actors did before the Games section of the film can't be underestimated, and in fact was probably stronger than it was in the books. It grounded a preposterous situation in realism. Honestly I would say the biggest problem I had with the whole thing is one that's endemic to the story, which is that the "world" the Hunger Games takes place in feels poorly realized and at times downright schizophrenic (and they even tried their best to soften it; in the book, the dogs at the end are werewolves).

I agree that they fumbled Rue's death a little. The scene itself was fine, but she was only in the movie for like five minutes. But they made a good decision by moving the riot in District 11 from the second book to immediately afterwards.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby justcheckin on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Ribbons wrote:But they made a good decision by moving the riot in District 11 from the second book to immediately afterwards.

Ahhh, that is where that is. Ok, I was curious about the riot. Thanks. :) I haven't read them.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:44 pm

If one of my favorite books was going to be made into a movie and this guy was tabbed as director I would be sorely disappointed and pessimistic about it's prospects for being good. to call his work with "The Hunger Games" as sloppy and hackneyed would be generous. on the ride back from the theatre with my sons we talked about the plot holes and inconsistencies and weaknesses and at the end of the half hour drive we were still coming up with mis-steps and flaws.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:23 am

I thought the cinematography as a whole was rather unspectacular. My biggest gripe was the costume design. I haven't read the books so I have nothing in my mind's eye, but the outrageous colors and hair made the citizenry of the capital look more like douchebag club kids than anything else. It worked for Tucci's character because he's a douchebag television personality; everyone else looked like they were on the guest list. I'm also surprised they didn't hammer home the reality television angle of it all. Maybe Ross thought that was too easy.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie Discussion