The Zone's 2012 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Zone's 2012 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:30 am

I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's (Nachokoolaid's) toes by opening the one for 2012, but I had nothing to do and this is always the time when we get ready for next year's movie journal.

For those of you who are new: in a movie journal, you write the name of every movie, that you watch, together with the date when you have watched it. Preferably also with a rating and a short review, but it's not a must. The first page of this thread is reserved for your journals. So please wait at least till the end of January, so that everybody has enough time to start his or her journal, before you start discussing things in here.

If you still have no idea what the hell this is about or you are just curious what The Zone watched during the last few years, here are the last few threads:

-----

January

01st

#00001 Race To Witch Mountain (TV/1st time viewing)
Either Andy Fickman (tee hee...Fickman.) is a highly incompetent director or there was some heavy post production tinkering going on. It seemed to me like there was at least half an hour missing from that movie. This was one of the most confusing kids movies that I have ever seen! Even Dwayne Johnson seemed bored.And he is one of those guys, who normally make everything watchable!
EDIT: I have just learned, that the version that I saw, which was shown in the late afternoon on German TV, was heavily cut. Around 15 minutes were apparently missing, which explains the problems that I had.
No rating until I saw the uncut version

#00002 Kung Fu Panda 2 (DVD/1st time viewing)
The first one was already very good, but the sequel was even better!
8,5/10

-----

2nd

#00003 Super 8 (DVD/1st time viewing)
I enjoyed it MUCH more than expected, but I have some serious issues with the last 10 or so minutes. I mean, I can get behind the alien killing the soldiers who tortured him, but after all the other shit he did, even during the climax, we are supposed to root for him in the end?
7,5/10

-----

3rd

#00004 Red State (DVD/1st time viewing)
This was actually pretty good. It was seriously intense (mostly because the whole story was way too real) and full of great performances. Only the ending was a huge letdown and unlike other Smith movies, I doubt that I will rewatch this very often.
7/10

-----

6th

#00005 Scream 4 (DVD/1st time viewing)
I really loved the first 5:30 minutes of it. They were so clever and stupid at the same time, that my hopes for this went up immediately. Unfortunately while the rest of it doesn't hold up to the opening (at one point it is really just a series of people getting stabbed, without suspense, fun or originality), it was still entertaining enough to make it watchable. Bonus points for the ending, wich really made me wonder who would survive at one point, but all in all the movie left me pretty indifferent.
6,5/10

-----

7th

#00006 Malibu's Most Wanted (DVD/1st time viewing)
I didn't expect much from it and the first half was pretty much what I expected (although I DID laugh from time to time), but the 2nd half was seriously funny. I also have to give them bonus points for making B-Rad not a poser. I mean, he is a white upper class dork who acts like he's tha blackest guy from da hood, but it's his personality and he does that, because he loved Hip Hop culture since a child. It was a nice touch.
6,5/10

-----

9th

#00007 (The) Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans (DVD/1st time viewing)
I liked it a lot. It has a very unique tone, somewhere between gritty cop drama and dark comedy with a karma message. Again it proved that Nic Cage isn't a bad actor, it's just that not every director knows how to adjust to him.
8/10

-----

11th

#00008 Sons Of The Desert (TV/1st time viewing)
What can I say? Laurel and Hardy are still damn funny after 80 years.
8/10

-----

15th

#00009 I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (TV/1st time viewing)
That was odd. Let's first say that it wasn't nearly as bad as expected. In fact, it was at its core even a pretty good movie. Chuck & Larry were some good and believable characters and Sandler and James shared a great chemistry together. But then the whole movie is taken down a whole step by the typical crazy Adam Sandler jokes, that most of the time just don't fit. And every time the movie looks like an honest pro-gay-anti-discrimination case, it turns immediately into a haha-those-fruity-gays-are-so-funny minstrel show. Not to mention that in a movie that is all about tolerance, Rob Schneider's disgusting yellowface cameo is just plain and simple inexcusable. I really would like to read the original Alexander Payne script, without all the Sandler jokes.
6,5/10

-----

17th

#00010 Napoleon Dynamite (DVD)
I still don't love it, but like it even more than the last time. But those "movies about nothing" are one of my favourite subgenre anyway.
7,5/10

-----

20th

#00011 Jackass 3D in 2D (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
Okay, I guess it's more enjoyable if you see it in 3D. And maybe it'S because those guys got older, but the stunts were less spectacular than in their previous outings. It seemed like they focused this time more on being gross, but y'know, I had fun with it.
7/10

-----

23rd

#00012 Without a Paddle 2: Nature Calls (TV/1st Time Viewing)
I caught it on TV while I was waiting for an electrician to show up. It was okay. The first half was pretty amusing, but it lost steam, as soon as they found the tree house. Too bad that it lacked a real payoff. Oh well. This was directed by Ellory Elkayem, who directed one of my favourite creature feature comedies EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS.
4,5/10

-----

25th

#00013 Rango (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
Now that was trippy. I didn't like it as much as expected, but it's definitely a unique piece of animated filmmaking. Especially from a visual point of view.
7/10

-----

26th

#00014 The Green Hornet (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
Wow, I really liked it. It was nice to see a movie about two clueless wannabe superheroes, that doesn't try to be a parody. It was even surprisingly violent for a PG13 at times, if you ask me. The one, big thing, that really took the whole movie down a notch, was Seth Rogen. That guy is so unfunny and wooden, it's hard to take him seriously, even if he's just bantering with his buddy Kato. I still would watch a sequel.
7,5/10

------

29th

#00015 Freaky Friday (2003 version) (TV/1st Time Viewing)
I was horrified, when the movie pretty much started with Lindsay Lohan, yelling the classic line "You are ruining my life!" at her mother, over the classic "I want to get my ears pierced" conflict. Really? Still with that shit? But it got better. Not mind blowing original or even any kind of original, but it was very entertaining. I just hated how they treated Lohan's love interest. First they prove that he is a responsible young man, then they turn him for laughs into a creepy stalker and then they just act like it was no big thing.
7/10

-----

February

03rd

#00016 Payback (DVD)
Wow, it's been years since I saw it and couldn't remember anything about it. It turned out to be a typical but very enjoyable, late 90's Mel Gibson vehicle. Maybe with some rougher edges and if you know about the extensive re-shoots, the tonal shifts and plotholes become more visible, but I really enjoyed it.
7,5/10

-----

04th

#00017 Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
I heard that the director's cut was different, but I didn't expect it to be THAT different! It's like watching a whole new movie! And the best thing: It's also really damn good! I tend to prefer the theatrical cut though, but really, just a little bit. Anyway, well done! You get two good and highly watchable movies, made out of one! I wish director's cuts would be like that all the time.
7,5/10

-----

7th

#00018 Master & Commander: The Far Side Of the World (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
This has been recommended to me as some kind of masterpiece for years and I won't call it a bad movie, but it left me pretty cold most of the time. But when it worked for me, it really did.
7/10

-----

10th

#00019 Star Wars - Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (DVD)
I never hated it, but this time it even really clicked with me. I suddenly really got was Lucas tried to do and the story about Palpatine, manipulating some gullible folks into invading Naboo, just to gain political without making himself look like he was behind it all, was suddenly pretty engaging to me. Yeah there are still some flaws apparent (like the dragging half hour between Amidala's escape and the pod race), but now I liked it even more than before.
7/10

-----
11th

#00020 Disturbia (TV Recording/1st Time Viewing)
Oh wow, what was that? A D.J. Caruso movie, that didn't suck and even was very entertaining? Sure, it doesn't add anything new to the subgenre of REAR WINDOW rip-offs, but it played its familiar notes very well.
7/10

------

13th

#00021 Star Wars - Episode 2: Attack Of The Clones (DVD)
I didn't remember much of it, but just like with Episode 1, suddenly all the political stuff clicked with me and I really enjoyed the movie. (Although, like I have to repeat AGAIN, I never hated the prequels.) But yeah, Hayden Christensen was awful and some of the romantic dialogue was ore than laughable.
7/10

-----

14th

#00022 Star Wars - Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith (DVD)
Oh hey, Christensen took acting lessons.He still has a lot to learn, but he wasn't as annoying as in Episode 2. With all the politics out of the way, all that is left is the story about an arrogant Struggling Background Artist, who is manipulated way too easy. It's in my opinion the weakest of the trilogy, but only because Lucas tries to go for these big drama moments, but fails to make them somehow believable. It's still a nice spectacle and I give Lucas credit for not pulling any punches in terms of character deaths and turning Anakin into a psychopath.
7/10

----

19th

#00023 The Lord Of the Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings (Extended Version) (DVD)
This is only the 2nd time that I watched this version. I'm still surprised by how much better it makes the movie, even though it was already damn great.
9/10

------

24th

#00024 Trolljegeren (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
Flawed, but good. Call me insane, but I think mockumentaries work best, when they have a real budget and don't shy away from showing great special effects long and clear. Also it was nice, that they didn't try to ape the normal movie structure, while pretending to be a real documentary. Most of it really felt like it happened accidently. But there was still something lacking. I can't put my finger on it, but it feels like they didn't use the full potential of this carefully build up world.
7/10

-----

25th

#00025 Back To School (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
It's not one of those non-stop laugh riots, like certain other college comedies from the 80's, but I laughed a lot.
7,5/10

-----

28th

#00026 Being John Malkovich (DVD)
Is it me or does this movie get better with age? I always liked it, but I can't remember laughing so hard at it before, like I did this time. It also felt much darker to me, than before. Anyway, great movie.
8,5/10

-----

29th

#00027 Attack The Block (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
I try not to overhype it, but it's seriously damn good. Well directed, scary, funny in the right moments without getting silly, at times touching and most of all, it manages to make you fucking HATE the protagonists from the beginning, only to make you understand and root for them, without making excuses for their behaviour. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like the movie.
8,5/10

-----

March

07th

#00028 Shadow Of A Doubt (TV Recording/1st Time Viewing)
Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie Charlie...anyway, a good movie, but I would have liked it more, if it wouldn't have been obvious from the beginning, that Uncle Charlie has something to hide. It would have been more fun, if the movie had started with his family, getting the telegram instead of showing what came before.
7/10

-----

10th

#00029 Sundown: The Vampire In Retreat (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
That was seriously good. Lots of fun and full of original ideas. Okay, some of the many subplots didn't end really satisfying, but I highly recommend this movie.
7,5/10

-----

31st

#00030 The Adventures Of TinTin: The Secret Of The Unicorn (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
One of the most entertaining movies of the last few years, even though Spielberg went way overboard with the virtual camera. It was constantly in motion and most of the time it seemed sloppy and improvised. Still a good movie.
8/10

-----

April

2nd

#00031 Where The Wild Things Are (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
Wow, I think this is one of the most fascinating pieces of film making of the last two or three decades. Full of surreal ideas, but still one of the most realistic depictions of childhood ever. At one hand completely different from everything that ever came before, but on the other hand completely accessible for the viewer.
9/10

-----

4th

#00032 Nothing But Trouble (VOD/1st Time Viewing)
Y'know...I kinda liked it. Not because it's a good movie (because it really is not), but for its will to go all kinds of dark and absurd. I know, the R-word is something that nobody really likes to hear, but I would love to see a (more focused) remake of this. The story has enough potential.
6/10

-----

5th

#00033 Glengarry Glen Ross (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
I didn't know anything about this movie, other that it's supposed to be great and Gil from THE SIMPSONS is losely based on Jack Lemmon's character. I really enjoyed it, even though it didn't pick up steam until its 2nd half. It's worth watching for some of the awesome monologues alone.
8/10

-----

8th

#00034 Don Camillo (TV)
Still a lot of fun, even though the movie is more a string of losely connected episodes. But Camillo and Peppone are two of the greatest fictional characters in history and Fernandel and Gino Cervi portray them pitch perfect.
8,5/10

-----

9th

#00035 The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (Extended Edition) (DVD)
This benefits a lot more from its extended run, than the first one did. Some ignorant people might complain that the movie now moves too slow, but it earned its slow pace, by fleshing everything out a bit more. No new scene feels unnecessary and always ads something new, from character development, to simple spots of humor.
9/10

#00036 Il ritorno di Don Camillo (TV/1st Time Viewing)
Very good sequel, that now seems to be more coherent, thanks to several spread out plots like the dam or the two clocks. It also feels a little bit more serious, but there are still enough laughs to find. And seriously, how many movies do you know, where Jesus Christ gets the best punchline?
8/10

#00037 Hop (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
Nice, little kids movie. From all those actors-versus-little-wisecracking-CGI-characters movies of the last few years, it's definitely the most watchable, without being great.
6,5/10

-----

14th

#00038 Space Truckers (DVD)
What can I say? I really like that one. It's a little sloppy, way too episodic and feels like a TV pilot, but I would watch a new adventure of these guys every single week. Hopper, Dorff and Mazar share a great chemistry with each other and I'm a sucker for movies that are funny, but have a threat that is still serious enough.
7,5/10

------

21st

#00039 X-Men: First Class (DVD/1st viewing)
It was good, but lost some steam in its last 1/3. Also the forced we-now-have-to-show-how-everything-that-we-knew-from-previous-movies-happened ending, was pretty silly.
7/10

-----

28th

#00040 Good Burger (VOD/1st viewing)
I laughed very loud at times. Like many other comedies it loses some steam near the end, but if you like your comedies very silly, you will like this one too,
7/10

#00041 Zathura (DVD/1st viewing)
I enjoyed it a lot. It lacks all the unnecessary studly that JUMANJI had and the time between the kids push that button for the first time and when the astronaut appears, is maybe one of the most exciting scenes, that I ever saw in a kids movie! This is also the first movie with Kristen Stewart that I ever saw and if you ask me, she's alright.
8/10

-----

May

01st

#00042 Puss In Boots (DVD/1st time viewing)
This must be the cutest movie ever, if you like cats as much as I do! Even without the cat bonus it was fun, but something was missing. It wasn't as epic or engaging as it should have been, but I did enjoy it anyway.
7,5/10

-----
05th

#00043 The Slammin' Salmon (DVD/1st viewing)
I love Broken Lizard. This wasn't their best movie, but it had a lot to like. I mean, if there is one thing that they can do like nobody else, it's writing realistic banter between friends at a workplace.
7,5/10

-----

08th

#00044 Super Troopers (DVD)
Still very funny. And it's another example of the Lizard's ability to create likeable characters, with a realistic co-worker/friendship chemistry. Not to mention that Brian Cox is awesome!
7,5/10

-----

09th

#00045 Grown Ups (TV/1st viewing)
Call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed it a lot and credit most of the dislike towards the movie, to its cast of the Sandler crew. I'm sure that if the exact same movie would have been made as indie comedy, starring unknowns or at least actors from popular hipster show, it would have been that years LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE. Or at least a lot better received. Yes, the movie doesn't have much of a story. Just a few old friends hanging out and trying to share the fun they had with their families, but that's its charme. For a Sandler vehicle it's pretty low key and I gotta admit that casting all these real life buddies, IS what makes it so enjoyable. You really feel that they like to spend time with each other and goof around.
7/10

-----

10th

#00046 Bad Teacher (TV/1st viewing)
Entertaining and pretty funny, but nothing too memorable. I also think that while they went pretty far, in terms of movies with purposely dislikeable protagonists, who end up unpunished and don't learn a valuable lesson or become better human beings, they didn't go far enough. The humor was pretty tame most of the time and I think they should have made her a little bit more than just a weed smoking, gold digging asshole.
7/10

#00047 Beerfest (DVD)
If you ask me, it's the weakest Broken Lizard movie. It's also the most absurd one, but that makes it even more disappointing, because on paper it should have been absolutely hilarious. It's still fun to watch.
6,5/10

-----

11th

#00048 Hanna (TV/1st Time Viewing)
Yeah, it was okay. A pretty basic action movie but also a pretty artsy one. I liked, but didn't love it and to be honest, I don't know if I will watch it again.
7/10

-----

12th

#00049 Red Dawn (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
Ugh, what a piece of shit. After a great opening, it turns into an endless montage of kids, who I couldn't tell apart (except for Sheen, Swayze and Grey) and are either moping or shooting anonymous cannon fodder in the back. It would work as great cheese fest, if it had been made with any spark of suspense or excitement. Now I'm really waiting for the remake, because while it can't be much worse than the original, it could improve on a lot of things. I love the mentioning of the German Green Party in the opening scroll, though.
2/10

-----

13th

#00050 Arthur (Remake) (TV/1st Time Viewing)
Not bad, but also very forgettable. Helen Mirren was awesome and to my surprise, she had a great chemistry with Russell Brand.
6/10

-----

15th

#00051 The Losers (TV/1st Time Viewing)
If this would have been a DTV production, I would rate it higher, unfortunately it was a theatrical movie. One, that looked and was written like a DTV one. On the plus side, it was very entertaining and had a great cast.
6,5/10

#00052 Predators (DVD)
I think I like it even more than on my first viewing. It is well directed, has some cool characters (even though many of them die way too early) and is all in all a damn good PREDATOR sequel.
8/10

-----

16th

#00053 Howard the Duck (DVD)
Well, fuck me, but I like it. It's a strange movie, but wasn't that the norm in the 80's? It's not exactly good, but there is enough to like in it. Even if it's often just because it'S so damn weird.
7/10

-----

17th

#00054 Don Camillo e l'onorevole Peppone (TV/1st Time Viewing)
More funny Christian/Communist shenanigans. Not really better or worse than the previous two movies, but that's a good thing.
7,5/10

-----

18th

#00055 Sherlock: A Scandal In Belgravia (TV recording/1st Time Viewing)
Entertaining, full of good character moments, but I don't really know what the big deal was. Sherlock tried 90 minutes long to guess the password for a smartphone and its owner refused to tell him. *shrugs*
7/10

-----

20th

#00056 Haywire (Airplane/1st Time Viewing)
I really have to watch it again. I really liked it, but it was very hard to follow when you watch it on a moving plane, while being stoned from travel sickness pills.
No rating, but one careful thumb up

#00057 Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (Airplane/1st Time Viewing)
That one was much easier to digest during the flight, but apart from Dwayne Johnson being charming as ever, it didn't have much to it. Unimaginative fluff, although not unentertaining.
5/10

-----

21st

#00058 The Raid (Cinema/1st Time Viewing)
Holy shit, that was great! Almost non-stop action that never gets boring! And its makers somehow found the right balance between awesome and ugly violence. Bonus points for creating a great working suspense scene, based on a machete stuck in someone's cheek.
9/10

#00059 Dark Shadows (IMAX/1st Time Viewing)
I was surprised how much I loved this! I would even call it Burton's best since SLEEPY HOLLOW or BIG FISH. There is something about dark and serious movies, that aren't afraid of exploring their sillier side without becoming a self parody, that just clicks with me. The ending feels a little bit rushed and one part of me even wishes, Burton and Depp had turned this into a TV series instead of a movie, just because it would give some of the twists and revelations a larger impact after a weeklong build-up, but I highly approve of this. The IMAX experience didn't add anything to it, though.
8/10

-----

24th

#00060 The Avengers (Cinema/1st Time Viewing)
In the tradition of all previous Marvel Studios movies and things that Joss Whedon did, it was good and even highly enjoyable, without being great. It might grow on me on repeated viewing but I think it tried too hard to be awesome and forgot to also be a real movie.
7/10

-----

25th

#00061 Kim Possible: So The Drama (DVD)
So damn hilarious and action packed. Even though the 4th season was great, it made me almost regret that the show got renewed after this perfect ending.
8/10

-----

26th

#00062 The Simpsons Movie (DVD)
It still holds up and probably even benefits from not being on TV every three weeks, like normal episodes of the TV show.
8/10

-----

28th

#00063 Iron Man (DVD)
This time I enjoyed it more than the last time, but it's still no masterpiece. It is undeniable good, though.
7,5/10

------

June

1st

#00064 The Big Hit (DVD)
I'm surprised that this isn't based on a comic book. It definitely feels like it's based on one. And in this case, it's a good thing.
7,5/10

-----

3rd

#00065 The Villain (TV Recording)
I can't believe that this movie exists. Kirk Douglas playing a Wile E. Coyote/Yosemite Sam hybrid, with Arnie as naive goody two shoes "Handsome Stranger". Almost no Looney Tunes gag was left out of this! Unfortunately it's not as good as it could be, but I have a really soft spot for this movie.
7/10

-----

6th

#00066 Dirty Work (TV)
I laughed loud and often. Bonus points for having the most hilarious prison rape joke ever!
8/10

-----

9th

#00067 Cowboys & Aliens (DVD/1st Viewing)
Not exactly a bad movie, but very, very unexciting, especially if you consider the awesome supporting cast.
6/10

#00068 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Remake) (TV/1st Viewing)
Y'know, when you make a horror movie, but the only good things one can say afterwards are "Biel's boobs" and "Funny Harry Knowles cameo", you might have a problem.
2/10

-----

10th

#00069 Bridesmaids (TV/1st Viewing)
When the movie started with one of those cliched sexscenes, where the man does whatever he wants and thinks he is awesome, while the woman almost falls asleep from boredom, I was scared, that it would be one of those all-men-are-pigs movies. It wasn't, but instead it was a how-my-life-got-worse-and-worse drama, with some admittedly funny slapstick moments. Seriously, nobody ever told me, how depressing the "funniest comedy of 2011" is! It almost completely lost me in its 2nd half, where Wiig's character encounters one blow of fate after the next one, caused by assholes who don't get what they deserve. And while those moments are apparently meant to be funny, thanks to the cartoony behaviour of the people who treat her like shit, it just made everything worse for me.
6/10

-----

11th

#00070 Cars 2 (TV/1st Viewing)
Y'know...it wasn't bad. I still don't care much for the characters, but it was a fun, little spy thriller comedy. That these cute looking cartoon cars where doing some surprisingly nasty and violent things to each other, gave it even an extra bit of entertaining absurdity.
7/10

-----
12th

#00071 Cats & Dogs: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore (TV/1st Viewing)
I'm a huge fan of part 1, thanks to its this-should-be-a-cartoon-but-it's-live-action status. It's pretty sloppy directed at times, but it's always fun to watch. Part 2 is not so sloppy, but it also lacks the whole insanity of part 1. There are still moments that make me glad that someone decided to make this movie (and built an animatronic cat in a Hannibal Lecter costume), but it's all more streamlined. Apart from the two cat assasins, most of the time the animals behave like real animals, which is kinda boring. Having a dog sit in front of a computer screen is definitely not the same as letting him have a kung fu fight against two ninja cats. There was also the subplot about Chris O'Donnell, which was seriously useless. But I liked that they now established that not all cats are evil and in fact most of them care for their owners too (Did a catlover lobby complain or something?) and more than once I had a big studly grin on my face.
6,5/10

-----

15th

#00072 The Party (TV/1st Viewing)
Hilarious! I read the movie was mostly improvised, which would explain the at times pretty weird camera work. Although on the other hand, it gave the movie at times a documentary feel, which made it even funnier IMO.
8/10

-----

16th

#00073 Retroactive (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
It's actually a pretty good movie, it just suffers from some bad directing (lots of cheesy slow motion, cars that explode in HUGE fireballs after being hit with one bullet...) and some awful dialogue. Especially Jim Belushi, who is actually pretty good in this movie (But I think he is one of the most underrated actors anyway), has to deal with some awful lines and at one point I just expected him to say something like: "In case you didn't notice before, I'm an eeeeeeeeeeevil redneck!" If you are able to ignore those flaws, you will find a nice, little b-movie, that knows how to keep its simple premise (It's kinda like a thriller version of GROUNDHOG DAY) interesting till the end. Even if the ending feels a little bit like they ran out of budget.
7,5/10

-----
17th

#00074 Sherlock: The Hounds Of Baskerville (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
This was so far the best episode. Interesting till the end, for a change not easy figure out and an interesting modernization of the classic story.
8/10

-----

20th

#00075 Fright Night (Remake) (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
Surprisingly well done. It only lacks the fun factor of the original (It's not "dark and brooding", but less a comedy than the original) and works best, whenever it tries to be its own movie. Almost everything that was imported from the original, feel out of place here. Peter Vincent is completely useless (and his backstory is ridiculous) and Evil Ed's character arc is rushed and could have left on the cutting room floor.That said, all actors are good (especially Colin Farrell, who is surprising me a lot recently!), the direction is stylish, but not flashy and the script is very solid. I approve of this remake.
7,5/10

#00076 Eastern Promises (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
A cool, slow burning gangster drama, with brillant performances from Mortensen and Mueller-Stahl. Not exactly a crowd pleaser, but damn good cinema.
8/10

-----

21st

#00077 Blind Fury (DVD)
Well, it doesn't hold up that well and Hobie #1 is really annoying, but all in all it's still fun to watch.
7/10

-----

25th

#00078 The Lovely Bones (DVD/1st Viewing)
I can see why it failed to connect with audiences and many critics. It's not exactly an easy movie for the popcorn crowd and feels often seriously disjointed. (I'm sure the novel felt the same, but stuff like that works better in book form.) I really liked it! It was well directed and acted and I don't mind movies, that take a more philosophical approach to their stories.
8/10

---

28th

#00079 Red (TV recording/1st Viewing)
The first half is fun, but it gets pretty boring from then on. It's a shame that none of the characters was really memorable. So much potential...
6/10

-----

30th

#00080 Dick Tracy (TV)
I wish the movie would at least half as exciting as it looks, but unfortunately it doesn't. I read that the original cut runs almost 40 minutes longer, which might fix some of the issues I have with it, especially in terms of plotholes and story development.
6/10

-----

JULY

02nd

#00081 The Goonies (TV)
Man, this must be Richard Donner's sloppiest movie. It's fun to watch, but everything, from the direction to the script is so damn flawed, that it's incredible how it became such a cult phenomenon. (At least in the USA.)
7/10

-----

04th

#00082 MacGruber (TV/1st Viewing)
Within the first 40 minutes, there are maybe just 2 or 3 laughs, Pretty good laughs, but not nearly enough for a good comedy. But then around the 40 minutes mark, the movie suddenly becomed fucking hysterical! Seriously, I was just willing to give up on it, when I couldn't stop laughing my ass off! I still think that a MacGruber movie was absolutely unnecessary, but at least half of it was WAY funnier than most of the SNL sketches.
7/10

-----

11th

#00083 Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
Some nice DTV action for teens. Without Michael Jai White, who also directed it, and some admittedly clever script ideas (like how the love triangle turned out or the character of the whiny emo kid), it would have been totally forgettable, but all in all it was pretty watchable without being great.
7/10

-----

14th

#00084 Dirty Harry (TV/1st Viewing)
By today's standards maybe pretty slow, but all in all it's a movie that still works.
7,5/10

-----

15th

#00085 Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (DVD/1st Viewing)
That was a nice one. There were some pretty huge plotholes near the end, but the amount of scares and suspense, plus the believable stepmother/daughter arc, made me forget about them.
8/10

-----

18th

#00086 The Punisher (2004) (DVD)
I liked it a lot more this time. When I saw it for the first time, I thought it dragged a lot, but this time I really enjoyed it. Yeah, it's not really The Punisher, but instead The Incredible Schemer, but the approach worked for me. And after all it was Franks first punishment, so I don't mind him doing things a little bit different in the beginning. Especially when it's personal.
7/10

-----

24th

#00087 The 'burbs (DVD)
I love this movie so much. This (and MATINEE) is Dante's most underrated work. Everybody is brillant in this one! Hanks, Ducommon, Dern, Gibson, Feldman, the whole damn cast! I saw this movie a million times and I still crack up at most of the jokes.
9/10

-----

28th

#00088 King Kong Vs Godzilla (TV)
What a mess of a movie. I know, that the version I saw was most likely the re-edited version of a re-edited version, but come on, it really made no sense. After 45 minutes they suddenly started a subplot about a woman, who thinks that her brother died in a plane crashm then we don't see her anymore for 20 minutes and her brother shows up on her doorstep alive, without even knowing that the plane that he missed crashed down! Then the subplot was over. It lasted two scenes. The whole movie was full of shit like that.
4/10

-----

AUGUST

02nd

#00089 Treasure Planet (TV/1st Viewing)
A little bit of a mixed bag. All in all they made a much better movie than "Treasure Island in space" could have been. It's full of nice touches. The hero kid is a trouble maker (although of course still one with a good heart. More one of those typical cool loners, who rebel by using their flying surfboards over restricted property.), his father just left (makes me wonder why "divorce" seems to be such a taboo topic for Disney, but almost everyanimated movie protagonist has at least one dead parent), the villains don't shy away from cold blooded murder (and even suceed!) even though Silver (minus the Long John) is more misguided than evil. (And even gets redeemed by the end!) Visually the movie is pretty stunning at times. The mix of hand drawn animation and CGI is less clunky than in TITAN A.E. The alien professor "Dr Doppler" isn't the typical funny Disney sidekick, but only because he is more understated in his tomfoolery. Then, really halfway into the movie, almost near the end, they suddenly introduce a wacky robot, voiced by Martin Short. That fella is pretty useless for the story and feels overall more like a late addition, but the 2nd half of the movie is still what makes the movie worth watching. So all in all it's not a great movie or even highly underrated, but it is watchable.
7/10

-----

04th

#00090 Drive (DVD/1st viewing)
Very good. It's easy to make a slow movie, but it's difficult to make it as interesting and engaging as DRIVE. Although after hearing for months how bloody the headshot, the fork in the eye and the headstomping were supposed to be, I was surprised how not-THAT-harsh they were. But maybe I just don't get easily shocked by fictional violence anymore. I also think that Albert Brooks' performance was overrated. He was good, but I think we should stop awarding comedian, just for playing serious,
8/10

-----

05th

#00091 Corman's World: Exploits Of A Hollywood Rebel (TV Recording/1st viewing)
I didn't expect this movie to get a German release and suddenly I see that it's running on a third-grade TV channel on a Saturday midnight. It's a good documentary, even though it doesn't tell anything new or mind blowing. The thing is, it could have been MUCH better if they hadn't acted like the success of the modern blockbuster (i.e. JAWS & STAR WARS) forced him to retire from filmmaking, until the ScyFyi channel called him. I shit you not! Just when it gets really interesting and we enter the era of PIRANHA, HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP, GALAXY OF TERROR or BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS, they stop and jump to his honorary Oscar. (In the beginning we saw him shooting DINOSHARK or some shit liek that.)
7/10

-----

06th

#00092 Battle Beyond The Stars (VOD)
Haven't seen thsi since I was a kid and I'm proud to tell you that it still holds up. Kinda. It's not a great movie, but it has a good cast (especially George Peppard and Robert Vaughn are fun to watch), some clever ideas (although many of them should have gotten more screen time), interesting characters and it movies in a swift pace.So while I wouldn't call it "good", it's far from being "so bad it's good". I definitely enjoyed it.
7/10

-----

11th

#00093 Cedar Rapids (TV/1st viewing)
One of those cool character driven low key indie comedies with lots of known faces (Ed Helms, John C. Reilly, Sigourney Weaver, Alia Shawkat, Kurtwood Smith, Stephen Root...). It's a lot of fun from the beginning to the end. There are some darker moments (one plot point is about a drug addicted prostitute from a broken home), but it's never "dark" dark.
8/10

-----

17th

#00094 Scooby Doo: Camp Scare (TV)
Scooby Doo done right. It has maybe one monster too much, but has a good mystery and some nice character moments.
7,5/10

-----

18th

#00095 Scooby Doo: Abracadabra - Doo (TV)
Not as good as CAMP SCARE, but still a lot of fun for fans.
7/10

-----
19th

#00096 Sherlock: The Reichenbach Fall (DVD/1st viewing)
I don't know man. So far every SHERLOCK episode had some script issues or plot holes, that keep me from REALLY enjoying them. I liked them all, but Sherlock often seems much dumber than he should be. My biggest problem this time, was the moment when Moriarty tried to convince everybody that he was an actor from a TV kids show, who was hired by Holmes to appear as Moriarty in public. I mean, his trial was pretty much the trial of the century and I bet his face was all over the news. Don't you think that when an "award winning actor", as Mori's newspaper clippings said he was, is on trial under a different name, at least one person in the world would recognize him, make at least an internet meme ("Moriarty totally looks like that dude from the kids show") and suddenly it would be all over the news? This never happened, so it should have been a huge hint that Moriarty's story was a lie! And we never found out why the kid started to scream when she saw Sherlock in hospital eiter. Oh well, it was still an entertaining thing to watch.
7/10

-----

20th

#00097 Skyline (TV Recording/1st viewing)
Okay, I liked it more than the rest of the world. It's not a BAD bad movie, it's just not a movie that ever reaches its potential. Look at it! You have an awesome, never seen before (seriously!) alien invasion! A survivor's story that takes place in a small place! Creepy, brain recycling aliens who come in several shapes and sizes, including fucking big monster size! Great FX! (The movie had a DTV budget, but looked like BATTLESHIP!) And an ending, that is willing to go the extra mile! But then they screw it up with boring and/or annoying characters, a script that never knows how to get the maximum of suspense out of most scenes and even if the ending is willing to go the extra mile, it just stops halfway and returns. (I guess they ran out of money.) But all in all it was awatchable B-movie.
6,5/10

#00098 To Be Or Not To Be (Lubitsch Version) (TV/1st viewing)
It's a great movie, but I have to say that I think the Mel Brooks version is a little bit better. The original has less slapstick, but also spends less time with the characters and is also less suspenseful in certain moments. It is still a clever mix of satire and spy comedy and is still VERY watchable and hilarious, though.
8/10

-----

22nd

#00099 Rio (TV/1st viewing)
It wasn't bad, but it was very forgettable. The only thing that really stuck with me, was carnival scene, which was really a feast for the eyes, but on a script level it did nothing for me.
4/10

-----

23rd

#00100 Pappa Ante Portas (TV/1st viewing)
Hilarity from Loriot, one of Germany's greatest humorists. It's not necessarily the most original story and too many beats are pretty typical sitcom tropes, but as expected, it 100% delivered on the joke department. It's been a while since a movie made me laugh so hard.
9/10

-----

25th

#00101 Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (DVD/1st viewing)
Just like part 1, it was very good, but not great. The one thing that bothered me a lot, was that the chemistry between Holmes and Watson, that worked so well in part 1, was nearly non-existent. But it had an awesome finale (which in fact shouldn't work at all!) and some seriously great action scenes (Guy Ritchie is maybe the only director who knows how to use time ramping right. He is the anti-Zack Snyder.). But be prepared for the most horrifying PG13 torture scene of all time! Believe me, this ain't an unintentional funny slapstick routine like in CASINO ROYALE! This came very close to the last act of LETHAL WEAPON!
7,5/10

#00102 Blood And Bone (DVD/1st viewing)
Michael Jai White Vs Kareem Said from OZ, lots of great fights, Rufio, a well told straight forward story and did I mention the fights? Okay, I say it. This DTV production, directed by the writer of THE BIG HIT and DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION is better than 99% of all theatrically released action movies of the last decade! If you still doubt why "the guy from SPAWN" has such a huge fanbase, rent this movie and become a fan too!
8/10

-----

29th

#00103 Black Dynamite (DVD)
I liked it a little better this time around, but I still have problems with the tonal shift. The first half is a pretty accurate low budget Blaxploitation parody/homage, the 2nd half is all out spoof movie. But both halfs are pretty good.
7,5/10

-----

31st

#00104 Horrible Bosses (TV/1st viewing)
Much better than expected. There is something about the current state of big studio comedies, that puts me off. For example, I was only mildly amused by HANGOVER and BRIDESMAIDS, so I really just expected a few good chuckles. In the end it was a damn funny movie, thanks to a clever script and a surprisingly great cast. I mean, I knew, that Bateman, Day and Spacey would deliver the goods, but I didn't expect much from Sudeikis, Farrell, Aniston and Foxx. In the end they all made me laugh more than just once. And holy shit, what kind of special effect wizardry did they use to make Aniston so sexy?!?
7,5/10

-----
September

01st

#00105 Mars Needs Moms (TV/1st viewing)
I knew that this was going to be better than I thought it would. I mean, the trailer was lame, the reviews were bad and it's one of the biggest box office bombs in history. It doesn't happen very often that a movie really deserves all this bad buzz. I wasn't prepared for how much I liked it in the end! Now I doubt that we will look back at it in 10, 20 years and say "What an underrated masterpiece", but for once it's very watchable. Nothing special, but not boring for one second. Then there are moments when it goes VERY dark, mostly when we deal with the backstory of "Gribble", who seems at first like an annoying sidekick, but then becomes the one character, whose story should be told in its own movie. And then the movie gets some interesting cultural relevance in its depiction of a Mars society, where men are not allowed to raise their kids. The movie is the ultimate loveletter to mothers, but it seems to me like they also tried to critizise how fathers always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to parenthood. Especially how little rights they have after a divorce and how having to go to work every day, makes them often look like the bad guy. What keeps the movie away from being really great? Ugly character design, no really exciting action pieces or great jokes and of course the MoCap paradox: They hire real actors to make the animation look realistic, but those actors stop moving realistic in those suits. They make huge gestures, walk funny and seem to have no idea what they are doing. MoCap critics usually only focus on their eyes, but believe me, those eyes are the least problem of that technology. I wonder why only AVATAR got that right.
7/10

---

20th

#00106 Solomon Kane (TV/1st viewing)
Pretty watchable. Nothing special, but it reminded me of those cheap ass fantasy movies, that I saw on TV as a kid.
7/10

-----

24th

#00107 Nighthawks (TV recording/1st viewing)
Hm. Well, it wasn't bad, but it was lacking almost everything that makes a movie good. Rutger Hauer was awesome, but he always is. But man, the cloches were killing me. We even got a We-are-not-so-different speech from Hauer! I almost forgot already that I watched it.
5/10

-----

28th

#00108 Detention (VOD/1st viewing)
Holy shit, what an awesome movie! I'm not easily impressed by gimmicks and complete randomness, but this is the greatest kitchen sink movie in years! It squeezes so much shit in 90 minutes, that it shouldn't work, but it does! And it just gets weirder with every minute!
9/10

-----

29th

#00109 Real Steel (TV/1st viewing)
This one wins the award for the least misleading trailer ever. It's exactly what you think it is: A cheesy father/son sportsdrama with a useless, but seriously cool SciFi gimmick.It's watchable, but apart from the boxing matches, it has no redeeming qualities.
5,5/10

-----

October

1st

#00110 Demoted (TV/1st viewing)
Sean Astin & Michael Vartan play some arrogant assholes who love to play cruel pranks on their also asshole co-worker David Cross, but then their cool boss dies and Cross gets his jobs, so he demotes them to secretaries. Of course they become better human beings and learn how hard it is for a woman to work in a man's world. It's pretty much what an R-rated Lifetime movie would look like. Pretty bland, with obvious morals, but with conversations about blowjobs and gags about peeing women. That said, this movie is not BAD bad. It has a nice, but simple message and once the protagonist learn what kind of assholes they were, they become pretty likeable. There are also two or three good laughs and David Cross is good in anything. But seriously, it's nothing to write home about.
5,5/10

-----

6th

#00111 John Carter (DVD/1st viewing)
Now that was a seriously entertaining one. Nothing too special, but a lot of fun. It's a shame that we will never see another movie with Tars Tarkas.
7,5/10

-----
8th

#00112 The Thing (2011) (TV/1st viewing)
Well...it wasn't AWFUL. IT was just a pretty forgettable monster movie with some surprisingly good visual FX (after all those bitching about the CGI I expected some VAN HELSING-esque cartoon shit, but in fact they did a pretty good job and it even looked in parts better than the animatronics that I saw in the making of later on YouTube.), GREAT sound FX and one seriously well done suspense scene. (The test. Looking into each other's mouth is in such a movie a very scary thing to do. And I liked how it wasn't even a perfect solution!) I really wish they would have dared to tell a different story, because in the end, the Norwegians did everything exactly like the Americans in Carpenter's movie. The only real difference was the Thing itself, which acted more like an animal, always chasing and attacking people. Oh well, it could have been worse.
6/10

-----

9th

#00113 The Thing (1982) (DVD)
Still works very well. Yeah, the FX aren't as shocking anymore, because over the years you got used to the gruesome look, but the overall mood of dread, paranoia and suspense still holds up. It's a perfect example of how to make a movie that is slow, but not boring.
8,5/10

-----

16th

#00114 Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (TV recording, 1st viewing)
Nice, little right wing actioner from the 80's. It's impressive how little dialogue it has. The Vietnamese and Russian parts aren't even subtitled. It somehow makes the movie look more classy than it is.
6,5/10

-----

18th

#00115 The Ward (TV recording, 1st viewing)
I don't know. It wasn't a BAD movie and after GHOSTS OF MARS it was definitely a step up for Carpenter, but unfortunately he was still in MASTERS OF HORROR mode. That means if it would have been an episode of this show, I would maybe like it more. Carpenter still knows how to create atmosphere and shit, but the script...oh, the script. Hint: If you give your script a surprise twist ending, don't steal from a movie that is less than 10 years old and that everybody still remembers. I don't know, I hope Carpenter picked this project just to do something easy as his first movie in a decade.
6/10

-----

20th

#00116 Rambo 3 (TV recording, 1st viewing)
Yeah, it was okay. It had some nice action beats, but for any reason nothing really clicked with me. I don't even know why. I don't hate it, it just left me indifferent.
5/10

-----

24th

#00117 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (DVD, 1st viewing)
Definitely some funny shit. I love how they treated the monsters seriously and it surprised me how violent the movie gets in the end. After all, all villains and even one not so evil one die at the end. One gets even thrown out of a window and the Frankenstein monster burns alive. But it's still good fun.
7/10

-----

26th

#00118 Project X (DVD, 1st viewing)
Okay, I found my most hated movie of the year. Maybe even of that decade, although it's hard to tell when we are just 2 years in. Now, I don't mind anti-social behaviour in movies. It can be damn hysterical, but this movie was a huge love letter to being an irresponsible douchebag. Those three kids who throw the party, are the least popular kids at school, but they aren't lovable losers like the ones we always see in those kind of movies or maybe even you and me, when we were in school. No, they are horrible, unsympathetic assholes who deserve their outsider status. And it all gets worse from then on! To sum it up, they lie, steal, take drugs, abuse animals and almost get innocents killed, but by the end we are supposed to think that everything was cool, because they earned the respect of their school mates, one of them even got a little respect from his dad! WTF?!? They didn't even learn a lesson! Sure, they feel bad for what they did, but the next day they get rewarded, by now being the coolest kids in school! I'm sorry, ever since WANTED (a.k.a. "Your life sucks until you start killing people") the moral of a movie pissed me off that much. Fuck that movie and everybody who is associated with it.
1/10

-----

27th

#00119 Scooby Doo & The Goblin King (TV, 1st viewing)
It was...interesting. It was definitely something different, considering that Scooby and Co. (in their animated form) haven't encountered any real fantastic creatures since the 80's. Its biggest flaw was that nothing REALLY interesting happened and I prefer Scooby movies with the whole gang anyway. (Velma, Daphne and Fred roles were more like extended cameos this time.) All in all it was a nice halloween special, but nothing more.
6/10

-----

28th

#00120 Tower Heist (TV, 1st viewing)
Better than its reputation. It's not laugh out loud funny and the characters are mostly uninteresting (a huge no-no for heist movies of any kind), but their motivations and actions are believable, the heist itself is very entertaining and the ending is seriously surprising.
7/10

-----

29th

#00121 Tremors (DVD)
Still very enjoyable. I love how the beginning is just a lot of weird shit happening and I have to give everybody involved credit for making a movie, that is at least to 1/3 about some people standing on their roofs and doing nothing, as exciting and re-watchable as this one. It still drags a little in the middle, but not nearly enough to make the movie less fun.
7,5/10

#00122 Tremors 2: Aftershocks (DVD)
I gotta admit, that I think this one is a little bit better than part 1. Mostly because of how they cranked up the fun factor.
8/10

-----

30th

#00123 Tremors 3: Back To Perfection/b] (DVD)
Not exactly bad, but at times pretty amateurishly made. You see that they didn't have a budget for shit, but the fact that they brought back every single survivor of part 1 (minus Bacon & Ward) automatically raises the entertainment factor.
[b]6,5/10

-----

31st

#00124 Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (DVD/1st Viewing)
Its two big problems are that not much is happening and that the new characters are less entertaining than the people behind this movie thought. Even Billy Drago's gunslinger is more annoying than badass. It picks up some steam near the end, which is what saves the movie from being awful.
5/10

-----

November

1st

#00125 The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
Very low budget 70's schlock with some good ideas, but none of them are executed well. It's just a long snoozefest.
2/10

-----

3rd

#00126 The Princess Bride (DVD/1st Viewing)
Yeah, it was okay. There was some good stuff in it. Mandy Patinkin and Andre The Giant were awesome and I loved how Montoya freaked his enemy out by constantly repeating his "Hello, my name is..." line, but the movie as a whole just didn't do it for me. I blame it on Buttercup and Westley being an awfully bland couple and some huge story issues. For a movie, that is all about the magic of story telling, it has some big issues, if you know what I mean. (How did Wesley even know that Buttercup was kidnapped, why didn't he tell her that he was alive earlier and why the fuck did he act like an abusive ass towards her after he rescued her?) Also the movie lacks a certain degree of scale and epicness. Oh well. But I enjoyed it, although a lot less than the rest of the world did.
7/10

-----

5th

#00127 Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie version) (DVD)
On 2nd viewing I appreciate it and its mix of true Sherlock mystery and modern action movie a little bit more,but there is still a little bit of "it" missing, to make me love it.
7,5/10

-----

7th

#00128 Jetsons: The Movie (TV Recording)
To be honest, it's pretty boring. There are some nice chuckles from time to time ("Polly want a gasmask?") and it has a surprisingly inspired art direction (especially that bizarre music video in the middle is awesome), but there is nothing really interesting going on and everything is just cliche after cliche. Even for me, who is able to enjoy some of the more trivial kids movies out there, this one has not much to offer.
4/10

-----

11th

#00129 My Soul To Take (DVD/1st Viewing)
I don't know why this movie is so hated. There is lots of weird shit going down, but it's good weird shit. It keeps you guessing what the hell is going on, if there is a supernatural explaination or if there is a more "realistic" one. I just think that they should have explained the whole concept of it a little bit more at the end. I mean, I had no problems to put all the pieces together, but it would have been good if they had let me known if I was right.
7/10

-----

13th

#00130 Return To Neverland (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
It wasn't really BAD, but the beginning,where Wendy and her family have to deal with WWII, was so much better and more ambitious than the rest of the movie. Captain Hook still rules, though.
6/10

Part 2 below
Last edited by DerLanghaarige on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 99 times in total.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Re: The Zone's 2012 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:31 am

See? I told you I would write too much again and need two spots in this thread!

-----

16th

#00131 Fatboy Slim: Live From The Big Beach Boutique (DVD/1st Viewing)
A concert movie. Don't know how to rate it. Lots of dancing people, many nice visuals, a good set from Mr Slim (although way more 4-to-the-floor-siren-house-EDM filled than what he played back in the 90's/00s) but nothing that made me jump up from my bed and dance.
7/10

-----

19th

#00132 Kinsey (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
Good movie. I like how light hearted it was most of the time, without delving too much into comedy territory. I'm sure many other writers and/or directors would have played up the more emberassing aspects of this subject, but Bill Condon kept it classy. Unfortunately like so many other biopics, it gets REALLY boring near the end, but before that we are getting a great William Sadler cameo, that starts out as a hilarious anecdote and then suddenly turns into something really dark.
7/10

-----

21st

#00133 Broken Arrow (TV/1st Viewing)
It had some cool moments. Mostly in the stunt department. I liked how Slater almost parkoured around in the mine, while shooting bad guys with two hands. But like every mid-to-late 90's big budget studio action movie, it is more in the "yeah, it was okay" league.
6,5/10

-----

24th

#00134 Judge Dredd (VOD)
I don't think it's an awful movie, but I have never read any of the comics. It's a nice, entertainig SciFi actioner with some awesome production design. Nothing more, nothing less.
7/10

-----

25th

#00135 Red Heat (TV)
One of the more unexciting Arnie movie. The story just happens and the characters, well...they go along very well for being the protagonists of a buddy movie.
5/10

-----

26th

#00136 studly Albert (TV Recording/1st Viewing)
Oh well. After a while I started to do something else and had the movie just running in the background. I haven't done this since I was a kid. Man, this movie left me completly indifferent, but I have to give them a big studly bonus point for giving the Bill Cosby cameo, which is only there for some clunky exposition,a very satisfying and emotional payoff in the very last scene.
3/10

#00137 Lockout (VOD/1st Viewing)
Oh yeah, that was a fun B-movie. The 2nd half isn't as good as the 1st, but yeah...fun!
7/10

-----

December

02nd

#00138 The Hard Way (DVD)
This one still holds up. I love how it doesn't play at all like the typical buddy cop movie and both Michael J. Fox and James Woods are so much fun to watch together. And Stephen Lang is such a fucked up villain.
8/10

-----

08th & 09th

#00139 The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King (Extended Edition) (DVD)
Now THAT is a movie that really gets better with more runtime. The theatrical version was already great, but this one is a goddamn masterpiece. And fuck the haters. Even in this version the ending feels anything else than too long.
9,5/10

-----

18th

#00140 Wreck-It Ralph (Cinema/1st Viewing)
One of these movies, that aren't anything special, but are so well made and entertaining, that I give it a pass anyway.
7,5/10

#00141 The Hobbit in 2D and 24fps (Cinema/1st Viewing)
One of the most entertaining and fastest paced 3 hour movies ever! Don't believe the hyperactive critics who can't sit still for 10 minutes. This is some great fun, that never gets boring. It's maybe not as deep or epic as any of the LOTR movies, but damn, it feels like the Peter Jackson who directed THE FRIGHTENERS made this one!
8,5/10

-----

22nd

#00142 A Christmas Carol (Zemeckis MoCap Version) (TV/1st Viewing)
Left me cold. The movie has a million endless scenes where Scrooge or just the camera flies around, which might have been cool in 3D, but on a 2D TV it adds nothing. Also Scrooge's transformation into a nice guy is way too easy. None of the flashbacks in his past show exactly WHY he became such an asshole. They mentioned he is scared of living in poverty, but that's it? Then suddenly in the present he turns into a marshmellow, just because he sees Tiny Tim? Sorry, I've seen more plausible versions of the story.
4/10

-----

23rd

#00143 Haywire (DVD/1st-ish Viewing)
I saw it a few months ago on a trans-atlantic flight, but with the bad audio quality and being stoned from travel sickness pills, I missed many important parts. Now with being able to fully focus on everything, I enjoyed it more. It's a pretty unique movie with some awesome action beats.
7,5/10

#00144 Goon (DVD/1st Viewing)
It's surprisingly sweet at times and Seann William Scott has finally found arole where he is great in, but all in all that movie didn't do it for me.
5/10

-----

24th

#00145 The Muppet Christmas Carol (TV)
Definitely a better re-telling of the story than the Zemeckis version. At least they make Scrooge's change more believable. I still think that the movie would have been better without the songs (I'm just not a fan of musical numbers), but overall I enjoyed it.
7,5/10

#00146 Jingle All The Way (TV)
Not the smartest christmas comedy, especially not in its last act, where the movie throws every hint at at least SOME logic or common sense out of the window, but I laughed. Again.
7/10

#00147 National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (TV)
Still damn hilarious. But I think I have to stop watching it for a few years, since I started to know some of the jokes too well.
8/10

-----

26th

#00148 Star Trek (Abrams) (DVD)
Still a lot of fun and maybe the best thing since DS9 with both "star" and "trek" in its name. If there is one problem that I have, it's that in retrospect Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pine should have switched roles.
8/10

-----

29th

#00149 Prometheus (DVD/1st Viewing)
I don't know what all the hate was about. Okay, it lacked a certain payoff and I think they should have gone a little bit crazier in terms of the amount of monster attacks, but except from the horrible old man make up (Why not cast a real old man? And why does everything in the movie looks perfect, except for that one?), I don't have any real problems with it.
7,5/10

-----

31st

#00150 Men In Black 3 (DVD/1st Viewing)
Wow, that "five dimensional alien" was maybe one of the highest concepts that I ever saw in a Hollywood movie. That was some serious DR WHO stuff! The rest of the movie was very entertaining. It was nice to see a MIB movie with a real story again. I don't hate part 2, but this feels more like a real sequel. And that "thousand fingers" design of Boris...brillant, but eew.
7,5/10
Last edited by DerLanghaarige on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:24 am, edited 12 times in total.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:04 am

red = first time views
blue = seen it before

January: Born In Frost
Hobo With A Shotgun
Hanna

Take Shelter
The King of Comedy
Dances With Wolves
Shame
A Dangerous Method
And Justice For All

There Will Be Blood
Ilsa: She-Wolf of The SS
Contagion
Unknown
Real Steel
The Ides of March
Never Say Never Again

February: Stupid Cupid
Across 110th Street
Drive
Highlander
Payback: Straight Up

The Big Score
Foxy Brown
Detective Dee & The Mystery of the Phantom Flame
Trollhunter
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Killer Elite
Foxes

Apocalypto
Animal Kingdom
Some Kind of Wonderful
Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel
Cannonball!
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Team America: World Police

March: Prince of Ides
Gleaming The Cube
The Wizard of Gore (1970)
Black Narcissus
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Dr. Phibes Rises Again!

The Wild Bunch
Kirschblüten Hanami
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Battle Royale
Young Adult
Modus Operandi
La Double Vie de Véronique
Redline
Colombiana
The Barbarians

Ben-Hur (1959)
Bloodsport
The Stone Killer

April: The Showers That Bring
Bonjour Tristesse
The Flowers of War
Safe House
Blindman (1971)

Titanic (1997)
Cat People (1982)
Tannöd
Norwegian Wood
The Raid
Mission: Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol
Lock Up
Universal Soldier
Eye of the Tiger
Planet Terror
Caligula

May: Dawn of the Day of the Dead
D.C. Cab
Haywire
Demolition Man
The Hunter (2011)
Bulletproof (1988)
Rampart

Drive
Light of Day
Freeway
Rescue Dawn
Sunshine (2007)
Surviving The Game
Gamer
A Single Man
Amadeus
Marley

The Big Lebowski
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
The Deep Blue Sea (2011)
Miss Bala

June: Rise of the Tentpole
Safe
Baraka
Silver Bullet
The Hunger Games
Prometheus
Roadracers
The Razor's Edge (1946)
The Grey
King of the Mountain (1981)
Father's Day (2011)
Prometheus
Hodejegerne
Death Race 2000
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom

Bullhead
Class of 1984
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
A Bullet for the General

July: Summer of Love
Magnum Force
Picasso Trigger
Commando
Hard Ticket to Hawaii
D.O.A.: Dead or Alive
Savage Beach
Screwballs
Ms. 45
Get the Gringo
Indie Game: The Movie
Destroyer (1988)
To Rome With Love
The Dark Knight Rises
The Fly (1986)
The Godfather
Steele Justice
The Omega Man

August: Leftovers Left Over
Step Up 4: Revolution
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Earthquake (1974)
Knock Off
Cannibal Ferox
River of No Return
The Swarm
Derby Baby: A Story of Love, Addiction & Rink Rash
The Expendables 2
China Heavyweight
Ted (2012)
Sound of My Voice
Lawrence of Arabia
Rhinestone
Safety Not Guaranteed
Snow White & The Huntsman

September: Autumnotronic
Total Recall (2012)
Tron 2: Legacy
Witness (1985)
Cop Land
The Avengers (2012)
In Time

Videodrome

The Fury
Beyond The Black Rainbow
The Midnight Meat Train

Bound
The Running Man

Husbands (1970)

Domino
The Expendables 2

The Monster Squad

The Bridge On The River Kwai
Killer Joe
Snabba Cash
Malone

October: Fright Bright
Lawless (2012)
Taken 2
Cliffhanger
Dr. No
Alien

Iron Sky
Les Adieux à la Reine
Resident Evil 5: Retribution
The Girl from the Naked Eye
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2
Compliance
Creepshow
Casablanca

Kill & Kill Again
Samsara
Double Dragon
Postal
The Master (2012)
Moonraker
Live & Let Die
The World is Not Enough
The Exorcist
The Shining

November: Moustache Renaissance
Manborg
From Russia With Love
Super Mario Bros
Tomorrow Never Dies

Dredd
Emmanuelle (1974)
Quantum of Solace
Wild Things

Doom
Skyfall
Vigilante Force

The Man with the Golden Gun
Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse

Cloud Atlas
Who's That Girl?

Judge Dredd
Samsara

Piranha DD
Hooper

Street Fighter (1994)
Samsara

Anna Karenina (2012)

December: Snowfall
Seven Psycopaths
Wing Commander
Scarface (1932)
Breathing Fire
Antiviral
The Man with the Iron Fists
Chasing Ice

Die Hard
Midnight Cowboy

Girl Boss Guerilla

Gorillas in the Mist

The Cabin in the Woods
The Bourne Legacy
Premium Rush
Jack Reacher

Die Another Day
The Expendables 2

Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
Life of Pi

-------

155 films watched for the first time
70 films revisited
225 film watchings in total
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 136 times in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:15 pm

I spot a claim

Awesome
34. Moon (22.02 DVD): Best robot ever! :D :? :(

45. Coraline (07.04 TV)

49. Rusalka (17.04 TV)

Really good
4. Män som hatar kvinnor (02.01 TV): Enjoyed it more than the extended TV version, certainly didn't feel like it needed another 30 minutes.

18. Sama Wozu (16.01 DVD)

22. Hammet (23.01 TV)

28. Vivement dimanche! (06.02 TV)

32. Happy - Go - Lucky (13.02 TV): If anyone told me he felt the urge to strangle the main character after five minutes I'd call that perfectly reasonable. But for some reason I don't quite understand I found the the constant and chronic cheerfulness more catchy than annoying.

38. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (04.03 TV): Enormously entertaining and not nearly as disgusting as it should be.

50. Gone Baby Gone (21.04 TV): After watching The Town a pleasant surprise. Had the order been the other way I'd been pretty dissapointed by The Town.

54. Soul Kitchen (29.04 DVD): I wonder why I hesitated to watch this earlier, Fatih Akin has yet to disappoint me.

55. Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang (29.04 TV): Liked it a bit less than the first one but the two debt collectors were great.

111. Gake no ue no Ponyo (08.12 TV): The storm sequence knocked me off my seat, what's up with the Wagner?

Good
5. Vorstadtkrokodile (03.01 TV)

15. City of Ember (14.01 DVD)

20. Hunter (2009) (17.01 TV)

26. The Killers (1946) (30.01 TV): Seeing a scene that was used in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid really puts me out of a movie.Damn you Carl Reiner! :x

27. Ved verdens ende (01.02 TV)

42. Body of Lies (26.03 TV)

52. Rosemary's Baby (23.04 TV): Assuming I would have been way more impressive if I hadn't known what's going on for ages. The curse of the classics.

53. La chambre des morts (24.04 TV)

57. Kirikou et les bêtes sauvages (05.05 TV)

58. Hoodwinked! (06.05 TV): I'm not sure what to make of the dubbing. Known names instead of professional voice actors, pretty hit and miss. Did the frog also have a song and I missed it going to the toilet?

61. The Fall (15.05 DVD): Not a fan of interfering narrators and my patience with the little girl faded quickly (the character, by no means the actress), yet a worthwhile movie.

73. Drag Me to Hell (30.06 TV)

76. Huo Yuan Jia (13.07 TV): Truly spectacularrr fight scenes.

82. Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (23.07 TV): Special mention for the dubbing doing a heck of a job trying to mimic the specific dialect.

86. Il grande silenzio (13.08 TV)

88. Salt (26.08 TV)

93. The Informant! (15.09 TV)

94. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (22.09 DVD)

98. Dance me outside (10.10 TV): Frank Fencepost just became one of my favourite movie character names.

104. Die Geisterfahrer (09.11 TV)

105. OSS 117: Rio ne repond plus (10.11 DVD): Got a bit too silly for my taste as soon as somebody started firing a gun but highly entertaining anyways.

107. John Carter (01.12 DVD): Baffled that this movie didn't do better, good fun.

115. The Men Who Stare at Goats (26.12 TV): Now more than ever we need the Jedi!

Solid/ok
7. Goemon (05.01 DVD)

8. Der Große Kater (06.01 TV)

10. Farscape: The Peacekeeoer Wars (08.01 TV)

11. Flickan som lekte med elden (09.01 TV)

17. Robin Hood (2010) (15.01 DVD)

19. Luftslottet som sprängdes (16.01 TV): It's been a while since I saw the extended TV versions but I think this was the part that benefited most from the extension (or suffered most from the cuts). Hence the weakest part of the Millennium trilogy but overall still OK.

21. The Lady from Shanghai (19.01 TV)

23. Hannah Mangold & Lucy Palm (24.01 TV)

31. Surrogates (12.02 TV): Veers between interesting and implausible. And nothing on earth looks more ridiculous than Bruce Willis' surrogate with hair.

35. Shadow of a Doubt (29.02 TV)

36. Outlander (??? TV): I know I've seen it not to long ago but obviously forgot to note it here.

41. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (18.03 TV): I'm pleasantly surprised, only remembered everybody hating on Stephen Sommers before the movie came out but missed that a lot of people said it was good afterwards. The obvious comment would be better than Transformers but that doesn't mean lot, so I'll go out and say better than Captain America.

46. The Contender (10.04 TV)

47. The Adventures of Tintin (12.04 DVD): I seem to remember a lot of people praising the action, but I found it to be overdone (crane battle?). Also a lot of it was very focused on the additional dimension of 3D (I assume, only saw it in 2D), which kind of makes it one dimensional. But overall I was satisfied with the attempts to catch the spirit of the source material.

56. Maigret et l'affaire Saint-Fiacre (30.04 TV)

63. Red Cliff International Cut (26.05 TV): Once you get over the fact that half of the movies is missing it's not bad.

64. Gardiens de l'ordre (29.05 TV)

66. Largo Winch (04.06 DVD)

68. Largo Winch II (11.06 DVD)

69. Psycho II (16.06 TV)

75. 88 Minutes (07.07 TV)

77. Uchu sho e yokoso (14.07 TV)

79. The Long Goodbye (17.07 TV)

83. Evangerion shin gekijôban: Jo (28.07 TV): I have very weak memories of liking the show better. Still not bad, although I found the dubbing trying to pronounce the Japanese names correctly a bit annoying.

85. L'immortel (07.08 DVD): I demand a movie where Jean Reno fights Liam Neeson

91. One piece: Dead end no boken (08.09 TV)

95. Der Gauner und der liebe Gott (29.09 TV)

96. One piece: Karakuri shiro no Mecha Kyohei (05.10 TV)

97. The Avengers (06.10 DVD)

102. Das Unsichtbare Mädchen (29.10 TV)

103. Amer (03.11 TV)

106. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (23.11 DVD)

108. Alice in Wonderland (2010) (02.12 TV)

109. Horsemen (02.12 TV)

110. Chugyeogja (03.12 TV)

112. The Dark Knight Rises (9.12 DVD)

113. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (25.12 TV)

Only mildy/in part entertaining
1. Beauty and the Beast (01.01 TV): I wonder if all the broken furniture in the beast's room are actually slain servants.

2. Journey to the Center of the Earth(2008) (01.01 TV)

3. Babylon A.D. (01.01 TV)

12. Clash of the Titans (2010) (10.01 DVD)

13. Little Witches (11.01 TV): I'm not fooling anyone, only made it into this category because of naked catholic schoolgirls

16. Fritt vilt (14.01 TV)

29. Tirez sur le pianiste (06.02 TV)

30. Crank 2 - High Voltage (10.02 DVD): The first one was brilliant, this one suffers severely from overkill.

33. Night Train (14.02 TV)

37. Man jeuk (29.02 TV)

39. Three Musketeers (2011) (06.03 DVD)

40. Wudang (12.03 TV)

43. L'empire des loups (27.03 TV)

51. Stara basn. Kiedy slonce bylo bogiem (22.04 TV)

59. Daybreakers (06.05 TV)

60. Jonathan (13.05 TV): Not so sure about this one, as I was pretty tired and had no clue what was going on but these two facts might not be related at all. Maybe the movie was just a mess.

62. Legion (20.05 TV)

70. Finist – Yasnyy sokol (17.06 TV)

71. Les insoumis (18.06 TV)

72. Les specialites (26.06 TV)

74. Mein Führer - Die wirklich wahrste Wahrheit über Adolf Hitler (07.07 TV)

78. Stick It (15.07 TV)

80. The Jacket (21.07 TV)

84. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) (04.08 TV): Something bugged me about Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger. Like his head has the wrong shape for the make-up.

87. Scooby-Doo! Abracadabra-Doo (18.08 TV): It certainly looked better then what I remember from the old shows.

89. Tetsuo: The Bullet Man (01.09 TV): Anger and his father's scientific experiments turn a man into a strange creature. Sounds like Ang Lee's Hulk but is so weird that for the most time it feels like Lost Highway with an nauseating amount of shaky cam and the score of a Silent Hill game.

92. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (09.09 TV): Lots of people seem to think this was pretty solid but for the most part I found it dumber than the average bear.

100. Bronson (20.10 TV): Left me pretty unimpressed. And I'm not sure if a movie a bout a real life person who chooses violence as a way to be famous isn't a horrible idea on itself. I might reject this movie out of principle.

101. The Last Airbender (21.10 TV)

114. 9 (26.12 TV): I can't remember a movie where the main character screwed up so badly.

116. Whiteout (30.12 TV)

ZZZ
6. Nightmare at the End of the Hall (04.01 TV)

14. Le fil d'Ariane (13.01 TV)

24. Hotet (24.01 TV)

48. Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (15.04 TV)

67. FeardotCom (06.06 TV)

81. At the Earth's Core (21.07 TV)

90. Battle Planet (03.09 TV)

Bad
9. Casino Royale (1967) (07.01 TV): I'm not sure how much of this clusterfuck I'm willing to forgive due to it's comedic nature but the deathblow was the dub. Surest thing to kill a movie, next to the plot being out of order, is having the actors voiced by different people.

25. New Moon (29.01 TV): I must have fallen under some vampire hypnosis spell to not declare this utter crap. I know i found the whole drama horribly forced. I know that it felt like a lot of characters where barely in the movie and not much happened so that I couldn't possibly tell how they managed to drag it for over two hours. I know I've already typed too much about it. But I have no clue why I didn't hate it. :?

44. The Wolfman (06.04 TV): I wasn't really taken with this but it wasn't bad either. Right until the end, I hate it when the death of the main character is proclaimed inevitable when it really isn't.

65. Tekken (03.06 TV)

99. Orcs! (19.10 TV)
Last edited by Al Shut on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 am, edited 110 times in total.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby justcheckin on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Justcheckin's Movie Journal 2012
FIRST TIME VIEWS ONLY - 2011 or 2012 unless stated

*****=BEYOND AWESOME
****=PRETTY DARN GOOD
***=Yeah, go ahead and see it
**=Watch it for free if possible
*=Can I have my 2 hours back

Theater
DVD

January
1. The Smurfs**
2. Crazy Stupid Love***
3. Horrible Bosses**** pretty funny
4. Drag Me to Hell (2009)*** sorta cheesy but some fun parts
5. The Iron Lady**** well done Meryl
6. Burke and Hare (2010)***
7. Conan the Barbarian*** can you say plot holes
8. The Artist**** really cool, see it in the theater
9. The Change-Up*** cute spin on the body switching plot
10. The Tree of Life*** Very beautiful, high budget artsy
February
11. Barney's Version (2010)***
12. Contagion*** I felt removed from the characters, it was very clinical.
13. Zombie Apocalypse** not terrible for a made for tv movie
14. Moneyball**** well done, good story, I'll be watching some baseball this year
March
15. Watchmen (2009)**** wow, but it was long
16. The Girl Who Played with Fire (2009)*** how unlike the book could they possibly make this...
17. Hugo**** very good
18. Bag of Bones***
19. Beginners***
20. The Hunger Games**** pretty good, haven't read the book
21. Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey***
22. The Muppets***
April
23. Puss in Boots***
24. Red Dawn (1984)**** pretty cool, never saw it until now
25. Mirror, Mirror*** cute take on SW, Puss in Boots/Shrek humor, can be for kids
26. Immortals*** I had a hard time watching this, it just didn't keep my attention and I usually like stuff like this
27. The Descendants**** yeah, pretty good, kind of depressing though
28. Jack and Jill*** pretty funny
29. Human Planet Part 1**** very good
30. Hop** It was cute for kids, I didn't realize it was a live action/animated film.
May
31. The Sitter*** it was alright
32. Race to Witch Mountain (2009)*** it was on TV, I watched it.
33. Dorian Gray (2009)**
34. Underworld: Awakening***
June
35. Albert Nobbs*** there wasn't one happy thing about this movie
36. Magic Mike*** I'll give 3 stars for all the butt cheeks and Tatum's moves, take away 2 stars for the plot
July
37. Red Tails****
August
38. W/E*** it takes you a minute to follow the jumping around
39. Joyful Noise* was more like excruciating plot
40. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close*** if you want to cry for two hours, be my guest
41. Frenchman's Creek (1944)*** I liked it... old swashbuckle sort of movie
September
42. Wrath of the Titans***
October
43. The Campaign**** really funny, probably the best WF movie I've ever seen
44. Snow White and the Huntsman***
November
45. The Avengers****
46. The Lorax***
47. Prometheus**** scary ass squid baby...
48. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter...in progress
49. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2*** cheesy but fun
December
50. Brave*** very disappointed
51. Dark Shadows*** another disappointment, not as funny as I thought it would be
52. Rock of Ages**** really funny
53. Ted**** pretty good
54. Mr. Popper's Penguins*** Dude is starting to look old...
55. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey**** had a good time watching it
57. Les Miserables***** wow!

That's it... 57 for the year. I've been a much more responsible adult and haven't spent as much time watching movies. :wink:

JC's 2011
JC's 2010
JC's 2009
JC's 2008
JC's 2007
Last edited by justcheckin on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 83 times in total.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Bloo on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:26 pm

I crap out every year toward the middle of Summer but I'm planting my flag here (under JCI ;) )
1.1.12 -
    WARRIOR (DVD)
1.5.12 -
    CATFISH (DVD)
1.6.12 -
    THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (US) (Theater)
1.26 -
    HOT TUB TIME MACHINE
1.28.12 -
    HAIRSPRAY (musical)
    MAMA MIA!
    BYE BYE BIRDIE
    (made for TV)
    THE MUSIC MAN (made for TV)
1.29.12 -
    THE SOUND OF MUSIC
    SOUTH PACIFIC
    (Made for TV)
2.2.12-
    THE ODD COUPLE
2.5.12-
    THE LEGACY OF THE AWA
    LIMITLESS
2.6.12-
    A GUIDE TO RECOGNIZING YOUR SAINTS
    ANYTOWN, USA
2.7.12-
    COMIC BOOK: The Movie
2.8.12-
    HIGHER LEARNING
    DUMBSTRUCK
    CHRONICLE
    STAGEDOOR
    COP LAND
2.9.12-
    THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE
    THE DEAD POOL
2.10.12-
    LEAP OF FAITH
    TAKE ME HOME TONIGHT
2.11.12-
    MONEYBALL
2.17.12-
    GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGENCE
2.20.12-
    TUCKER & DALE VS EVIL
2.21.12-
    CHALK
3.2.12-
    CHASING GHOSTS
    RULES OF ATTRACTION
3.5.12-
    THE MUPPETS

3.7.12-
    THE LINCOLN LAWYER
    BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD

3.9.12-
    MISSISSIPPI BURNING
    THE APOSTLE
    SWINGERS
3.12.12-
    MIDDLE MEN
    PASSION PLAY

-

THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE

3.19.12-

RIDE WITH THE DEVIL
    SEASON OF THE WITCH
    21 JUMP STREET
3.20.12-

SHUT UP LITTLE MAN
3.21.19-
    MATINEE
    THE NEXT THREE DAYS
-
    GET HIM TO THE GREEK

-[B]
    SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER
    JOHN CARTER (of Mars)
    THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION
Last edited by Bloo on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:11 am, edited 25 times in total.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I dropped the ball about August. I will try HARDER!

CARUSO'S MOVIE ZONE JOURNAL OF CINEMA FILMS - 2012 EDITION

JANUARY

1/01.

THE LONG GOODBYE.

1/03.

BATMAN (1989).

1/08.

VAMP.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL.

1/09.

CHINESE COFFEE.

1/10.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2.

1/11.

OLDBOY.

1/12.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE

1/13.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 3.

1/15.

MIAMI VICE.

1/19.

BLOW OUT.

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT.

1/20.

THE LADYKILLERS (2004).

1/21.

HOOK.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2011).

1/22.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

MACGRUBER.

1/24.

OSS 117: CAIRO, NEST OF SPIES.

NOSFERATU (1979).

1/25.

THE 'BURBS.

1/26.

HORRIBLE BOSSES.

1/28.

HARD TARGET.

1/29.

CRANK.

1/31.

BRICK.

FEBRUARY

2/01.

DRIVE.

2/02.

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

2/03.

A PERFECT WORLD.

DRIVE.

2/04.

THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES.

2/05.

THE THING (2011).

THE THING (1982).

2/06.

THE THING (2011).

ALIEN³.

2/10.

ALIENS.

2/12.

MILLER'S CROSSING.

I SAW THE DEVIL.

2/13.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA.

2/14.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN.

2/18.

GHOST DOG: THE WAY OF THE SAMURAI.

FAUST (1926).

2/19.

APOCALYPSE NOW.

2/21.

CITIZEN KANE.

2/23.

STAR WARS EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH.

2/24.

JACKIE BROWN.

THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

2/26.

GEORGE WASHINGTON.

2/27.

OUT OF SIGHT[/u].

MARCH

3/07.

[u]IMMORTALS

3/11.

ALIEN.

3/12.

PANDORA'S BOX.

3/13.

SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE.

3/14.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

MEMENTO.

3/15.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.

3/16.

TRADING PLACES.

3/17.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2009).

3/18.

HEARTS OF DARKNESS: A FILMMAKER'S APOCALYPSE.

3/19.

THE SHINING.

3/20.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2011).

3/21.

APOCALYPSE NOW.

3/22.

EYES WIDE SHUT.

JOHN CARTER.

3/24.

THE GREEN MILE.

3/25.

KURONEKO.

3/27.

INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.

3/29.

PSYCHO.

HARRY BROWN.

3/30.

TOTAL RECALL.
Last edited by caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 26 times in total.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:32 am

BASTARD ROBO's 2012 MOVIE JOURNAL

THE MEGA BASTARD DOOMSDAY DEATHBLOW EDITION!

First time views in technicolor BLUE

January 1st:
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Battle Royale
January 2nd:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
January 6th:
Trigun: Badlands Rumble
January 8th:
War Horse
January 9th:
New Years Eve
January 12th:
Sherlock Holmes 2
January 13th:
Contraband
January 17ht:
Redline
January 20th:
Underworld Awakening
January 21st:
Sucker Punch ext cut
X-Men first Class
Underworld Awakening
January 22nd:
Haywire
Fast Five
January 25th:
Red Tails
January 29th:
The Grey
Centurion

Tangled
February 4th:
Man on a Ledge
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
February 5th:
Chronicle
Puss in Boots
Twilight

February 10th:
Mimic Directors Cut
Robocop
February 11th:
Big Miracle
February 12th:
Safe House
February 14th:
Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace 3D
February 16th:
Justice League Doom
February 17th:
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
February 18th:
This Means War
February 19th:
This Means War
February 23rd:
The Secret World of Arrietty
February 25th:
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
BASEketball
Big Trouble in Little China
February 26th:
Wunderlust
March 1st:
The Vow
March 3rd:
Destroy All Monsters
Rum Diary
March 4th:
Batman Begins
Evil Dead 2
Immortals
March 8th:
Xfiles the Movie
The Lorax
March 9th:
John Carter
March 11th:
Silent House
March 12th:
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
March 16th:
Superman Vs The Elite
March 17th:
Wizards
March 19th:
21 Jump street
March 25th:
21 Jump street
The Raid Redemption
March 27th:
The Hunger Games
April 7th:
American Reunion
April 8th:
Your Highness
April 14th:
Twilight: New Moon
April 15th:
Twilight: Eclipse
April 16th:
Cabin in the Woods
April 18th:
Wrath of the Titans
April 22nd:
The Three Stooges
April 27th:
Iron Man
April 28th:
The Incredible Hulk
April 29th:
Safe
Shawshank Redemption

May 1st:
Iron Man 2
May 4th:
Avengers
Avengers
May 6th:
The 5 Year Engagement
May 12th:
Avengers
May 13th:
The Divide
May 14th:
Dark Shadows
May 18th:
Battleship
May 19th:
Robocop
May 20th:
The Dictator
May 26th:
Austin Powers in the Spy Who Shagged Me
May 27th:
Yakuza Weapon
Princess Bride
People vs George Lucas

June 1st:
Snow White and the Huntsman
June 2nd:
Snow White and the Huntsman
June 9th:
Avengers
Zombie Girl
June 10th:
Moonrise Kingdom
June 16th:
Ace Attorney
June 17th:
That's My Boy
Men in Black 2
June 20th:
Madagascar 3
June 23rd:
Predator
June 24th:
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
June 26th:
Brave
June 28th:
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
July 1st:
Ted
July 6th:
The Amazing Spider-Man
July 8th:
Savages
July 10th:
Anchorman
July 14th:
War of the Worlds Goliath
July 20th:
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Rises
July 22nd:
Casa De Mi Padre
July 26th:
Detention
July 27th:
The Watch
God Bless America

August 4th:
Total Recall (2012)
August 5th:
Hellboy
Hellboy 2
August 7:
VHS
August 11th:
Starship Troopers Invasion
August 12th:
Sector 7
August 16th:
Redline
August 18th:
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Expendables 2
August 19th:
Expendables 2
August 21st:
With Great Power The Stan Lee Story
August 23rd:
Paranorman
August 25th:
The Campaign
August 26th:
Premium Rush
August 30th:
Versus
September 1st:
The Dark knight Rises
September 2nd:
Lawless
September 7th:
Fake it so Real
September 8th:
Godzilla Mothra King Ghidora Giant Monsters All Out Attack
September 22nd:
Dredd
28 Weeks Later
September 24th:
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
September 29th:
Looper
October 4th:
Avengers
October 5th:
Taken 2
October 7th:
Perks of Being a Wall Flower
October 12th:
Hotel Transylvania
October 13th:
Sinister
October 14th:
The Relic
Taken 2
October 17th:
Paranormal Activity 4
October 21st:
Alex Cross
Poltergeist 2
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Ghostbusters
October 27th:
Argo
October 28th:
Silent Hill Revelations
November 2nd:
November 3rd:
Flight
Orgasmo
Wreck It Ralph
November 6th:
The Bay
November 9th:
Orgasmo
November 11th:
Skyfall
November 17th:
Man with the Iron Fists
November 18th:
Lincoln
Tommy Boy
November 23rd:
Rise of the Guardians[/color
November 24th:
Jaws]
November 25th:
[color=#0000FF]Life of Pi

December 1st:
Sliver Lining Playbook
Wreck It Ralph
December 2nd:
Monsters Inc
December 9th:
Killing them Softly
December 15th
The 40 Year Old Virgin
December 16th:
The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey
December 21st:
]National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
December 23rd:
Jack Reacher
December 30th:
Django Unchained

Last edited by bastard_robo on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 am, edited 72 times in total.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby minstrel on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:03 am

Do these have to be movies released in 2012? I usually wait until movies are on DVD before I watch them - it's hard to get out to a theater with a disabled roomie, so I haven't seen a lot of 2011 movies and won't see most 2012 movies until 2013.

But I'll probably see a lot of old movies in the coming year that I haven't seen before, and if it's ok to talk about them, then I'd like to stake my claim here.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby bill blake on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 am

dibs
JANUARY
1) 1.1.12 - "goldfinger" (netflix streaming)
pussy galore. need i say more?

2) 1.1.12 - "page one: inside the new york times" (netflix streaming)
the first of many documentaries. this is worth watching just for david carr. over all it left me with more questions than answers.

3) 1.6.12 - "cave of forgotten dreams" (netflix streaming)
werner herzog is bad ass. he goes in caves and pontificates on the birth of the human soul and shit.

4) 1.6.12 - "the game" (netflix streaming)
this should be must viewing for "occupy" protesters.

5) 1.15.12 - "män som hatar kvinnor" ( netflix streaming)
it just goes to show you, if you have a good ending you can get away with anal rape.

6) 1.16.12 - "manhattan" (hbo go)
timeless. at 47 i am able to fully understand this movie for the first time.

7) 1.18.12 - "floored" (netflix streaming)
a nice eulogy for open outcry trading.

8) 1.21.12 - "being john malkovich" (dvd)
great on so many levels. my favorite parts are when the people reenter after their malkovichian experience.
v
9) 1.24.12 - "buried" (netflix streaming)
against my better judgement - and it's nice to know my better judgement is right - i watched this movie.

10) 1.24.12 - "no strings attached" (netflix streaming)
why are there men in the world like frank?

11) 1.27.12 - "buck" (netflix streaming)
back on track with an outstanding documentary about a horse trainer with life lessons that work for horses and people.

12) 1.27.12 - "the grey" (amc river north)
how fucked would we be if wolves had thumbs? on a side note: this movie would have been much more enjoyable had we not had to move because of people talking and playing with their cell phones.

13) 1.29.12 - "buck" (netflix streaming)
not sure how this sits with the ettiquette of the board butt... i watched it again and enjoyed it even more.

FEBRUARY
1) 2.1.12 - "meek's cutoff" (netflix streaming)
beautiful shots of people walking around and standing in groups mumbling. strangly appealing.

2) 2.3.12 - "donnie darko" (dvd)
it's a good movie, but after two viewings i'm still in the darko.

3) 2.11.12 "memento" (netflix streaming)
such a great debut film, it's too bad christopher nolan never learned to make films that appeal to a large audience.

4) 2.12.12 "hereafter" (hbo go)
i would have done it different.

5) 2.21.12 "more than a game" (netflix streaming)
great insight on why lebron is the way he is.

6) 2.25.12 "if a tree falls: a story of the earth liberation front" (netflix streaming)
we are a bunch of entitled motherfuckers here in the states. a well put together doc, none the less.

7) 2.29.12 "hell and back again" (netflix streaming)
they call afghanistan the graveyard of empires.

MARCH
1) 3.4.12 "chinatown" (netflix streaming)
imho, the best made movie ever.

2) 3.6.12 "hanna" (hbo go)
if i had a mutant child bred to be a super soldier eric bana would be my last choice to train her. he just skips over too many details, and waits until the end of the mission to spill. plus, he assigns pointless missions.

3) 3.20.12 "religulous" (netflix streaming)
bill mahr is no different than most religous people.

4) 3.21.12 "the last mountain" (netflix streaming)
it's funny how activists always have a long line of bullshit and company men just keep saying the same thing over and over again.

APRIL
1) 4.4.12 "bridesmaids" (hbo go)
easily the dumbest word ever, but the chick who played zach galifianakis was funny.

2) 4.6.12 "rare exports" (netflix streaming)
add this to your christmas list!

3) 4.7.12 "the expendables" (netflix streaming)
the dolph lundgren storyline alone makes this worth watching. the rest is just filler.

4) 3.16.12 "boogie nights" (hbo go)
paul thomas anderson should be declared a national treasure.

MAY
1) 5.12.12 "into the abyss" (netflix straming)
there are some real fucked up people out there and apparently a lot of them live in texas.

2) 5.16.12 "dear zachary" (netflix streaming)
ok, i've just about had my fill of murder docs. this one was a real jaw dropper.

3) 5.17.12 "man on wire" (netflix streaming)
i wonder what the guy would have accomplished if he wanted to destroy the twin towers instead of walking between them on a wire.

4) 5.19.12 "thief" (netflix streaming)
michael mann's first movie and a beta for everything that was to follow.

5) 5.23.12 "in the loop" (netflix streaming)
the best thing to come out of this is "veep". oh yeah, and anna chlumsky.

6) 5.24.12 "heckler" (netflix streaming)
if you put yourself out there, you've got to be able to take a trimming.

7) 5.25.12 "drive" (netflix streaming)
this guy needs to take some lessons from ryan oneil. i was not in the least bit impressed.

8) 5.30.12 "rock prophecies" (netflix streaming)
lot's of cool stories, but as a whole it felt contrived.

JUNE
1) 6.2.12 "the dictator" (kinowerks)
i like to think he had all these killer jokes and just made up the movie around them.

2) 6.2.12 "dark shadows" (kinowerks)
it felt phoned in.

3) 6.9.12 "prometheus" (amc village crossing)
visually stunning but i found it annoying that inspite of all the advancements humans had not evolved at all.

4) 6.10.12 "the long riders" (hbo go)
the northfield raid is one of the knarliest sequences ever. i never tire of this movie.

5) 6.14.12 "the hangover 2" (hbo go)
there's a whole thing about art and commerce. i won't get into it now except to say, "the hangover" is art and "the hangover 2" is commerce. metaphorically speaking of course.

6) 6.15.12 "the royal tenenbaums" (youtube)
yes, that's right, youtube and it was fantastic!

7) 6.28.12 "apocalypse now" (netflix streaming)
no blue screen. no cgi. no motion capture. just a bunch of shit blowing up, crazy acting, and heart attacks. movie magic in its purest form.

8) 6.29.12 resurrect dead: the mystery of the toynbee tiles" (netflix streaming)
do you ever get the feeling that you have no idea wtf is going on out there? watch this movie and you will.

JULY
1) 7.1.12 "broadcast news" (hbo go)
talk about blowing the lid off of nookie...

2) 7.7.12 "moonrise kingdom" (regal cinemas old orchard)
beautiful, creative, funny, but a little creepy.

3) 7.14.12 "the avengers" (kinowerks)
pretty spectacular.

4) 7.15.12 "magic mike" ( kinowerks)
it's nice to know how wooderson turned out.

5) 7.15.12 "transformers: dark of the moon" (netflix streaming)
boring. i had to watch it in three sittings.

6) 7.16.12 "hesher" (hbo go)
harrowing and inappropriate, yet i wept at the end.

7) 7.24.12 "the last waltz" (dvd)
the "mean streets" of concert films.

8) 7.27.12 "ghosts of mars" (dvd)
ice cube giving martians a well-deserved beat down. is there anything better?

AUGUST
1) 8.5.12 "snatch" (netflix streaming)
i'm trying a new thing for august - watching guy ritchie movies just when i work out. it's kinda hot.

2) 8.18.12 "rushmore" (dvd)
maybe i'll run the wes anderson table this year. a tall order, but i can kick!

3) 8.19.12 "revolver" (netflix streaming)
part of the working out to ritchie program i got going. it really helps the ego.

4) 8.20.12 "extract" (netflix streaming)
the musical cues were insane. can't say much for the movie,

5) 8.21.12 "crash"
so many angry people in one movie.
v
6) 8.22.12 "point break" (dvd)
once a guilty pleasure. now a valued trophy.

7) 8.23.12 "glengarry glen ross" (netflix streaming)
half-dozen angry men.

8) 8.24.12 "god bless america" (netflix streaming)
it's too bad this movie will get dimissed before any consideration. it's understandable why though. how ya' doin' bobcat?

9) 8.25.12 "sexy beast" (dvd)
in the guy ritchie vein, but better.

10) 8.26.12 "thor" (netflix streaming)
one of the best, if not, the best of the marvel super hero movies.

11) 8.31.12 "jiro dreams of sushi" (netflix streaming)
find what you love and do it or love what you do and find it.

SEPTEMBER
1) 9.8.12 "sleepwalk with me" (the musicbox)
npr met stand-up and they made a baby movie.

2) 9.8.12 "traffic" (netflix streaming)
i kept thinking i was watching "crash" again.

3.) 9.8.12 "battle royal" (netflix streaming)
lots of good kills.

4) 9.15.12 "cloud atlas" (kinowerks)
this is what happens when smart people come together. i'll watch this movie for the rest of my life.

5) 9.15.12 "indie game: the movie" (itunes rental)
i'm inspired by the lengths people go to trying to entertain the masses.

6) 9.16.12 "monty python and the holy grail" (dvd)
i wish i had a dollar for every time somebody has asked me if i had seen "monty python and the holy grail" then was aghast when i said no. well, i've finally seen it.

7) 9.19.12 "shooter" (netflix streaming)
worth watching just to memorize every mark wahlberg line for your marky mark routine.

8) 9.23.12 "bubble" (netflix streaming)
he nailed the pace in a small town.

9) 9.26.12 "samsara" (century landmark)
i'm not going to worry about it anymore.

10) 9.29.12 "meloncholia" (netflix streaming)
the name says it all.

11) 9.29.12 "being there" (dvd)
a great milepost.

OCTOBER
1) 10.14.12 "reds" (netflix streaming)
a good movie for flexing your cinephile muscles.

2) 10.26.12 "the man who shot liberty valance" (netflix streaming)
jimmy stewart spins a magnificent yarn.

3) 10.26.12 "holy rollers" (netflix streaming)
documentaries are very good at teaching you what not to do.

4) 10.30.12 "confessions of a superhero" (netflix streaming)
one of my most irrational fears is that in my next life i'll come back as someone like the people featured in this doc.

NOVEMBER
1) 11.2.12 "mansome" (netflix streaming)
justin bateman and will arnett are the only reason to watch unless you need some tips. which i didn't.

2) 11.3.12 "the descendants" (hbo go)
appropriate for my emotional state at the time. it's a real downer otherwise.

3) 11.7.12 "the man nobody knew" (netflix streaming)
america's been behind some bad shit.

4) 11.10.12 "tower heist" (hbo)
they should have played it straight.

5) 11.10.12 "true grit" (netflix streaming)
ok, i could tell you which one, but it doesn't change my comment. so what does it matter?

6) 11.17.12 "cloud atlas" (cinearts evanston)
a full theater, an appreciative crowd, a great movie. when a movie going experience works out perfectly i let a lot of bad shit go.

7) 11.17.12 "skyfall" (kinowerks)
james bond has become more athletic, but markedly stupider over the years.

8) 11.22.12 "goodfellas" (dvd)
introduced my boy to an american classic.

9) 11.24.12 "flight" (kinowerks)
"fearless" with an alchoholic.

10) 11.25.12 "defending your life" (dvd)
i hope albert brooks is right.

11) 11.29.12 "barton fink" (netflix streaming)
"colonel lipnik if you don't mind."

DECEMBER
1) 12.04.12 "young adult" (netflix streaming)
high school comes to adulthood.

2) 12.06.12 "the last airbender" (netflix streaming)
i had to force myself to finish.

3) 12.06.12 "the motorcycle diaries" (netflix streaming)
che guevera, lepers, motorcycles, and diaries - how can you go wrong?

4) 12.07.12 "step into liquid" (netflix streaming)
laird hamilton. laird. ugh.

5) 12.10.12 "visioneers" (netflix streaming)
i'd love to know how they got their money.

6) 12.11.12 "die hard 2" (hbogo)
this movie really puts the less in mindless.

7) 12.12.12 "tiny furniture" (netflix streaming)
it's like woody allen possessed a twenty-something year old woman.

8) 12.12.12 "art school confidential" (netflix streaming)
not at all what i was expecting. this film actually has a plot!

9) 12.13.12 "die hard" (hbo)
i believe this movie set the standard for nonsequitor rejoinders.

10) 12.16.12 "bone brigade" (netflix streaming)
stacy peralta has built an impressive body of work documenting skateboarding history.

11) 12.17.12 "bottle rocket" (netflix streaming)
owen wilson is funny lookin'.

12) a midnight clear (dvd)
a fantastic ww2 christmas movie.
Last edited by bill blake on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 am, edited 94 times in total.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:59 am

I leave for a few days of vacation, and when I return?... BETRAYAL!!!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 am

I may finally try this.

Shit I Saw in 2012:

Using a 4-star review system

January
-Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II - ****
-Drive - **1/2 (just not as impressed as everyone else was)
Holy shit.... two movies in an entire month (unless I forgot some)

February
-Puss in Boots ***
-Immortals *** - Had some issues with this. But all in all, Tarsem made a pretty picture.
-Cars 2 * - I find this film to be a piece of shit. My kids love it, though.
-Wall-E **** - One of those rare films that I love the more I see it.... and I've seen it a lot.
-The Dead *** - Pretty cool African zombie flick. Could have been much better, though.
-Rise of the Planet of the Apes *** - wasn't as amazing for me as it was for others, but still entertaining.
-Shrek 2 ** - first time the kids saw it. They actually asked to change the movie until Puss in Boots showed up.
-Goon *** - Laughed my ass off. Is it a good movie? Hell no, but it's vulgar, funny, has hockey, AND uses a Rush song.

March
-The Muppets **** - Wow I really, really enjoyed this film.
Last edited by Fievel on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

RaulMonkey's 2012 Movie Journal

Postby RaulMonkey on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:18 pm

I'll just set myself down right here.

Title (Year released) Director - Date viewed - Format i.e. Cinema, TV, DVD - Rating out of 10
Repeat viewings in italics.

JANUARY
Source Code (2011) Duncan Jones - Jan. 1st - Blu-ray - 8/10
Somewhere (2010) Sofia Coppola - Jan. 1st - DVD - 8/10
The Delian Mode (2009) Kara Blake - Jan. 5th - Cinema - 8/10
Hugo (2011) Martin Scorsese - Jan. 7th - Cinema - 8/10
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) David Fincher - Jan. 8th - Cinema - 8/10
The Fountain (2006) Darren Aronofsky - Jan. 10th - DVD - 8/10
The Last Play at Shea (2010) Paul Crowder - Jan. 14th - HDTV - 9/10
The Fly (1986) David Cronenberg - Jan. 15th - DVD - 8/10
Tropic Thunder (2008) Ben Stiller - Jan. 22nd - Blu-ray - 7/10
Fright Night (2011) Craig Gillespie - Jan. 22nd - DVD - 7/10
In Tahrir Square: 18 Days of Egypt's Unfinished Revolution (2011) Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill - Jan. 27th - HDTV - 8/10
The Adventures of Tintin (2011) Steven Spielberg - Jan. 29th - Cinema - 8/10
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010) David Yates - Jan. 30th - HDTV - 8/10

FEBRUARY
Magnolia (1999) Paul Thomas Anderson - Feb. 1st - HDTV - 8/10
Monsieur Lazhar (2011) Philippe Falardeau - Feb. 15th - Cinema - 9/10
The Descendants (2011) Alexander Payne - Feb. 19th - Cinema - 8/10
The Tree of Life (2011) Terrence Malick - Feb. 25th - HDTV - 8/10
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) Rupert Wyatt - Feb. 26th - DVD - 8/10
Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011) Sean Durkin - Feb. 26th - HDTV - 9/10

MARCH
Zodiac (2007) David Fincher - Mar. 5th - Blu-ray - 9/10
Bridesmaids (2011) Paul Feig - Mar. 10th - HDTV - 8/10
Beverly Hills Cop III (1994) John Landis - Mar. 10th - DVD - 6/10
Game Change (2012) Jay Roach - Mar. 10th - HDTV - 8/10
Stand By Me (1986) Rob Reiner - Mar. 17th - HDTV - 10/10
The Beaver (2011) Jodie Foster - Mar. 17th - HDTV - 7/10
Ghostbusters II (1989) Ivan Reitman - Mar. 17th - HDTV - 8/10
Goon (2011) Michael Dowse - Mar. 18th - Cinema - 7/10
Dead Ahead: The Exxon Valdez Disaster (1992) Paul Seed - Mar. 23rd - TV - 8/10
The Hunger Games (2012) Gary Ross - Mar. 24th - Cinema - 6/10
Barney's Version (2010) Richard J. Lewis - Mar. 29th - HDTV - 9/10

APRIL
Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011) David Gelb - Apr. 1st - Cinema - 9/10
Gun Fight (2011) Barbara Kopple - Apr. 6th - HDTV - 7/10
My Winnipeg (2007) Guy Maddin - Apr. 6th - TV - 9/10
God is the Bigger Elvis (2011) Rebecca Cammisa - Apr. 7th - HDTV - 8/10
One Thousand Pictures: RFK's Last Journey (2010) Jennifer Stoddart - Apr. 9th - HDTV - 8/10
The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) Martin Scorsese - Apr. 13th - TV - 10/10
The Cabin in the Woods (2011) Drew Goddard - Apr. 15th - Cinema - 8/10
American Reunion (2012) Jon Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg - Apr. 15th - Cinema - 8/10

MAY
The Avengers (2012) Joss Whedon - May 5th - 3D Cinema - 8/10
Frenzy (1972) Alfred Hitchcock - May 12th - HDTV - 8/10
Men in Black III (2012) Barry Sonnenfeld - May 27th - 3D Cinema - 7/10

JUNE
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) Steven Spielberg - Jun. 2nd - HDTV - 6/10
Prometheus (2012) Ridley Scott - Jun. 9th - 3D Cinema - 7/10
50/50 (2011) Jonathan Levine - Jun. 9th - TV - 8/10

JULY
The Amazing Spider-man (2012) Marc Webb - Jul. 14th - 3D Cinema - 8/10
The Mosquito Coast (1986) Peter Weir - Jul. 17th - DVD - 7/10
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) Christopher Nolan - Jul. 20th - Cinema - 8/10
Hostel Part III (2011) Scott Spiegel - Jul. 21st - HDTV - 6/10
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) David Yates - Jul. 26th - HDTV - 8/10
Final Destination 5 (2011) Steven Quale - Jul. 28th - HDTV - 7/10
The Last Samurai (2003) Edward Zwick - Jul. 28th - Blu-ray - 8/10
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) Christopher Nolan - Jul. 29th - IMAX - 8/10

AUGUST
Hemingway and Gellhorn (2012) Philip Kaufman - Aug. 3rd - HDTV - 9/10
The Ides of March (2011) George Clooney - Aug. 5th - HDTV - 7/10
Scream 4 (2011) Wes Craven - Aug. 7th - HDTV - 6/10
The Expendables 2 (2012) Simon West - Aug. 17th - Cinema - 7/10
Ace in the Hole (1951) Billy Wilder - Aug. 22nd - DVD - 8/10
Total Recall (2012) Len Wiseman - Aug. 25th - Cinema - 6/10

SEPTEMBER
Melancholia (2011) Lars Von Trier - Sep. 3rd - HDTV - 8/10
The Insider (1999) Michael Mann - Sep. 4th - DVD - 9/10
A Dangerous Method (2011) David Cronenberg - Sep. 7th
- HDTV - 8/10
The Muppets (2011) James Bobin - Sep. 11th - HDTV - 7/10
The Iron Lady (2011) Phyllida Lloyd - Sep. 12th - HDTV - 6/10
I Saw the Devil (2010) Kim Ji-Woon - Sep. 30th - HDTV - 8/10

OCTOBER
Barrymore (2011) Erik Canuel - Oct. 17th - HDTV - 8/10
Ethel (2012) Rory Kennedy - Oct. 20th - HDTV - 8/10
21 Jump Street (2012) Phil Lord & Christopher Miller - Oct. 21st - HDTV - 8/10
The Parallax View (1974) Alan J. Pakula - Oct. 27th - HDTV - 7/10
China Heavyweight (2012) Yung Chang - Oct. 28th - HDTV - 8/10

NOVEMBER
Recount (2008) Jay Roach - Nov. 1st - HDTV - 8/10
Happy (2011) Roko Belic - Nov. 8th - Cinema - 3/10
300 (2007) Zack Snyder - Nov. 10th - Blu-ray - 10/10
Looper (2012) Rian Johnson - Nov. 11th - Cinema - 8/10
Argo (2012) Ben Affleck - Nov. 11th - Cinema - 8/10
Moneyball (2011) Bennett Miller - Nov. 13th - HDTV - 9/10
Skyfall (2012) Sam Mendes - Nov. 21st - Cinema - 8/10
The Dust Bowl (2012) Ken Burns - Nov. 24th - HDTV - 10/10

DECEMBER
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) Peter Hunt - Dec. 8th - HDTV - 8/10

RaulMonkey's 2007 Movie Journal
RaulMonkey's 2008 Movie Journal
RaulMonkey's 2009 Movie Journal
RaulMonkey's 2010 Movie Journal
RaulMonkey's 2011 Movie Journal
Last edited by RaulMonkey on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:22 pm

minstrel wrote:Do these have to be movies released in 2012? I usually wait until movies are on DVD before I watch them - it's hard to get out to a theater with a disabled roomie, so I haven't seen a lot of 2011 movies and won't see most 2012 movies until 2013.

But I'll probably see a lot of old movies in the coming year that I haven't seen before, and if it's ok to talk about them, then I'd like to stake my claim here.

No, movie journal entries don't have to be movies released in any particular year. This is just a record of what you watched each year (and maybe a mini review/rating to go along with them).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Here I be....

Scale:
Two Thumbs Up - Awesomenesssauce
Thumbs Up - Good
Thumbs Sideways - meh
Thumbs Down - bad
Two thumbs down and up somebody's chocolate starfish
- suckassitude

January:

NOTHING!!!!!

February:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (stoopid) (thumbs sideways)

March/April:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Editions) (thumbs sideways)
Total Recall (sad to say...thumbs down)
Conan the Barbarian 2011 (thumbs down)
Children of Men (thumbs down)
Rome (HBO Series) (two thumbs up)

May:
Children of Men (thumbs down)
Karate Kid (thumbs up)
The Shining (thumbs up)
Contraband (thumbs down)
Raging Bull (thumbs up)
The Avengers (thumbs up)

June
Drive (thumbs sideways)
Prometheus (thumbs up)
My Week with Marylin ( thumbs up)
Mad Max (thumbs up)

July
The Amazing Spiderman (thumbs sideways)
The Road Warrior (two thumbs up)
Evil Dead 2 (thumbs up)

August
No Country For Old Men (thumbs up)
Commando (two thumbs up Bennet's ass!

September
Battleship (words can not describe its awfulness)
The Dilema (thumbs down)
Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seasons 1-4 (two thumbs up)

October
Entourage, Seasons 7-8 (thumbs sideways)
Curb Your Enthusiasm Seasons 5-8 (two thumbs up)

November/December
Game of Thrones HBO Series (two thumbs up)
Skyfall (thumbs up)
The Hobbit (thumbs up)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby bill blake on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:43 am

at the risk of being a lone voice in the wilderness; this seems like a manageable number of people for some chatter.

i guess posting "buck" twice has made me feel bit insecure. positive reinforcement anybody?
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Positive reinforcment in a sense that it's ok to post the same movie twice?

Everyone handles their journal as they like. No rules that I'am aware of, although a lot of people make up their own rules for their posts because it's a horrible nerdy thing to do. :oops:
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bloo on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 pm

bill blake wrote:at the risk of being a lone voice in the wilderness; this seems like a manageable number of people for some chatter.

i guess posting "buck" twice has made me feel bit insecure. positive reinforcement anybody?

my general rule is, if I watched it I record it and there have been months where I watch the same move more then once. Don't worry about the sementics, it's your journal, make of it what you will
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby bill blake on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Al Shut wrote:...it's a horrible nerdy thing to do. :oops:

i still like it.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby justcheckin on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:23 pm

bill blake wrote:
Al Shut wrote:...it's a horrible nerdy thing to do. :oops:

i still like it.

Whose nerdy?
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm

This is my first year keeping a movie diary, but from what I've seen in this thread in the past, people do monthly retrospectives. Yet here we are several days into February and nobody has said anything about the month that just ended. So I will look back.

I got to see lots of the art house Oscarbait features (SHAME, TAKE SHELTER, A DANGEROUS METHOD) that had opened in USA in the autumn and just made it here. I enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. Of those three I would probably say I liked SHAME the best, but think TAKE SHELTER would probably appeal to more people.

I also went on a vacation, which meant that I got to see several films on the airplane and bits of movies in my cabin on the love boat. I saw REAL STEEL. I don't think if Giovanni Ribisi and Juliette Lewis anally concieved a baby in a glue factory it would come out more retarded than this; and I kinda dug the hell out of it. It made me wish I had a seven year old son to watch it with. Fuck, it was dumb.

Best of January: THE IDES OF MARCH
A tightly built political drama that walks a fine line. The pieces all fit together, but not so neatly that it defeats the tension. There's no f@t on this thing. No pointless subplots or annoying side characters. It's just good white collar treachery and confrontation, David Mamet style.

Worst of January and the Worst Film from 2011: CONTAGION
A movie that is just a plague scenario. An A-list cast is assembled so that each one can have five minutes of screentime playing a character defined solely by a task that is always the primary task of whatever their profession is. Gathering samples. Looking at charts. Looking into microscopes. There's no tension, no plot, no character development, no climax, no spectacle, just a series of of mundane scientific and bureaucratic tasks being performed in front of you.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:01 am

As you can tell, I don't really have much time to participate in this much anymore, but I'll try to stop in from time to time around the end of the month. For the month of January, I actually saw a film in the theaters for the first time since the summer. That film was THE GREY.

I fucking loved it. I thought it was a great film, and I hope it's not forgotten come awards season next year. That plane crash was fucking intense, and honestly, for such a depressing movie, it was sort of life-affirming in a way. I won't lie, I got a bit misty, and as soon as I got out of the theater, I called my wife and told her how much I loved her and gave she and my boy a huge hug when I got home. I can't remember any other film making me feel that way.

Powerful stuff.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby bill blake on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:30 am

like nacho, my only theater visit was "the grey" and i agree, it was outstanding. for me, liam neeson has always just been there. he makes a lot of movies, but i never really cared about them. "the grey" made me really appreciate the dude and i look forward to seeing more of his work.

my favorite movie of the month was obviously "buck". i found it to be really inspiring. the second time i watched it was just after seeing my grandmother pass away. i had never seen anybody die before, and i was having trouble processing. watching "buck" again put me in a good place.

god, i love movies.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:41 am

I got off to a strong start this month. Ended up watching twenty-four movies, nine of which I hadn't seen before.

One of the two movies I saw theatrically was MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST: PROTOCOL. This got me to pick up the first three on Blu-Ray and revisit them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. This was only my second time seeing the third one and it was a lot better than I remember. Cruise did some pretty good work in that one. The other movie I saw at the theater and the best I saw all month was THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. Ended up buying the soundtrack (all three CDs of it).

Some of the better first-time viewings were CHINESE COFFEE (Al Pacino and Jerry Orbach bitching at each other for two hours is pretty cool), OSS 117: CAIRO, NEST OF SPIES, and HORRIBLE BOSSES.

De Palma's BLOW OUT was an interesting failure of sorts. Lot of tone issues there. And VAMP made me want to fuck Grace Jones. But that's nothing new.

Worst of the month was easily Herzog's NOSFERATU. An utter waste of time from start to finish, I don't care if it is a remake of a silent film it ought to be interesting or entertaining in some way. And what a misuse of Kinski. How you can cast that insane motherfucker as a vampire and not end up with the craziest shit ever put on celluloid is beyond me. And the guy playing Van Helsing fucking sucked.

Second worst of the month was John Woo's American debut, HARD TARGET. The only reason this didn't make worst of the month was because it was funny and had a lot of scenes that made no fucking sense. Also, this:

caruso_stalker217

Postby Al Shut on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:21 am

Managed to see 26 movies I haven't seen before which might very well be a record for me.

One odd thing I would never have noticed without this journal is that out of 26, 5 were from Scandinavia, seems a bit overproportional.

Best was Summer Wars, for me a really well working mix of action, sillyness and emotion. After two great movies I'll definitely be looking out for more of Mamoru Hosoda.

Worst: The 60's Casino Royal. Despite being funny on ocasion, it's just plain messed up and finally killed by horrible dubbing, especially the scenes that seemed to be cut on initial release.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:42 am

All this love for THE GREY has upgraded it a movie I will probably rent eventually.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 am

best movie I saw in January was Warrior. Nolte deserved that best supporting actor nom
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Bloo on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:38 pm

I just watched HIGHER LEARNING for the first time since 96, or so...yeah it was a lot more heavy handed then I remember it being.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:03rd
#00016 Payback (DVD)
Wow, it's been years since I saw it and couldn't remember anything about it. It turned out to be a typical but very enjoyable, late 90's Mel Gibson vehicle. Maybe with some rougher edges and if you know about the extensive re-shoots, the tonal shifts and plotholes become more visible, but I really enjoyed it.
7,5/10

04th
#00017 Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut (DVD/1st Time Viewing)
I heard that the director's cut was different, but I didn't expect it to be THAT different! It's like watching a whole new movie! And the best thing: It's also really damn good! I tend to prefer the theatrical cut though, but really, just a little bit. Anyway, well done! You get two good and highly watchable movies, made out of one! I wish director's cuts would be like that all the time.
7,5/10

PAYBACK is actually my pick for our current round of the Oleg Movie Club. It is pretty amazing how they turned one film into another. I haven't seen the theatrical cut in a long time but I remember enjoying it. The theatrical cut is out of print in North America. I don't know why the DVD doesn't just have both versions on it, but I'm fine just watching the director's cut. The theatrical cut was a lot more Guy Ritchie-ish with much more humour (especially from the narration) and the characters came across more cartoonish.

It's funny that the studio demanded the reshoots because at that time Mel's image was too clean and they didn't think audiences would accept seeing him as a mean guy who beats women. Oh how times have changed.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Film Journal 2012

Kung Fu Panda 2
Tangled
Beginners
A Separation
ABSCHIEDE: Five Goodbyes
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Redline (2011)
Contagion
Carnage (2012)
The Beaver
The Descendants
The Rainmaker (1956)
The Artist
Father of the Bride (1950)
Auntie Mame
The Breakfast Club
Blow-Up
The Most Dangerous Game
Great Expectations (1946)
A Dangerous Method
Lord of the Flies (1963)
Oliver Twist (1948)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US)
The Bride Came C.O.D.
Frenzy
Lucky Luke (2009)
This Film is Not Yet Rated
Reds
Submarine
Tron Legacy
The Apartment
Blow-Out
OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies
Best In Show
The Citadel
Peter's Friends
Downhill Racer
The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas
The Grey
The Help
Justice League: Doom
Gambit (1966)
Take Shelter
Albert Nobbs
Ace in the Hole
A Better Life
Puss in Boots
My Week with Marilyn
The Iron Lady
Moneyball
Chico & Rita
Broken Lance
Head (1968)
Fight Club
Hobson's Choice
American Psycho
The Conversation
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Blue Collar
John Carter
The Fantastic Adventures of Unico (Shut up)
The Dam Busters
Wild Strawberries
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Airplane!
Saving Grace
Casa de Mi Padre
The Trip (2010)
The Boondock Saints
Curse of the Undead
Winnie the Pooh
The Hunter (2011)
Higher Ground
Where Eagles Dare
Blazing Saddles
The Monster Squad
M (1931)
Rashomon
Merrily We Go to Hell
From Here to Eternity
The Fly (1986)
The Usual Suspects
Buck and the Preacher
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Mad Max 2:The Road Warrior
Being There
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story
Excalibur
Schindler's List
The Elephant Man
Heathers
Ghost in the Shell
Shadow of a Doubt
The Raid: Redemption
The Cabin in the Woods
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Phantom of The Paradise
Westworld
Brick
Zorba the Greek
Being John Malkovich
The Fog (1980)
Goodfellas
Zachariah
Silent Running
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Five Easy Pieces
Marathon Man
My Left Foot
Falstaff (Chimes at Midnight)
The Trial (1962)
Robin and the Dreamweavers
The Avengers
The Exterminating Angel
The Jerk
Wuthering Heights
Fantastic Planet
Cinema Paradiso (Director's Cut)
Hamlet 2
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
A Cat in Paris
Dark Shadows
The Kentucky Fried Movie
Men in Black 3
Le Cercle Rouge
The League of Gentlemen (1960)
The Italian Job
Angels with Dirty Faces
Adam's Rib
Iron Sky
I Know Where I'm Going!
The Strange Case of the End of Civilization as We Know It
Four Lions
Point Blank (1967)
Sixteen Candles
Prometheus
Stand by Me
Superman vs The Elite
13 Assassins
The Muppets (Sing-along edition)
Solaris (1972)
Paper Moon
Now, Voyager
Little Big Soldier
The Warriors
Bicycle Thieves
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Mackenna's Gold
Brave (2012)
Red
Silverado
Moonrise Kingdom
The Pledge (2001)
The Party
The Agony and the Ecstasy
Porco Rosso (subbed)
Nights of Cabiria
Born on the Fourth of July
Requiem for a Dream
Burke and Hare (2010)
Johnny Guitar
One-Eyed Jacks
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Häxan
Emperor of the North Pole
Annie
The Wind and the Lion
Vampyr
Castle Keep
Catfish
Monsieur Verdoux
Satan's Brew
The Night of the Iguana
The Long Goodbye
The Dark Knight Rises
The Remains of the Day
Victor Victoria
The 'Burbs
Sophie's Choice
Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers
Real Steel
Children of Paradise (Les Enfants du Paradis)
Beasts of the Southern Wild
5 Card Stud
La Strada
Only Angels Have Wings
Meet John Doe
Golgo 13: The Professional
Happiness
Love and Death
Seven Men from Now
Scarface (1932)
Sons of the Desert
The Bridges of Madison County
Grave of the Fireflies (Hotaru no Haka, 1998, subbed)
Gone Baby Gone
Hope Springs
Marty
Soylent Green
F for Fake
Lost In Translation
Top Hat
Bronson
ParaNorman
Super
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Man on Fire (2004)
Magnolia
Perfect Blue
The Intouchables
Ball of Fire
High School (2010)
We're No Angels (1955)
Raising Arizona
Hot Millions
The Sunshine Boys
Juan of the Dead
Lawless
My Dinner with Andre
Videodrome
The Proposition (2005)
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Half Nelson
Baraka
Robot and Frank
Re-Animator
The Road (2009)
Sin City
Charley Varrick
Sid and Nancy
Trading Places
Arbitrage
Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night
Winchester '73
The Killing (1956)
The Simpsons Movie
Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (Les Vacances de M. Hulot)
The Master
Sound of My Voice
A Hard Days Night
Garden State
Trouble with the Curve
Andrei Rublev
The Big Gundown (La resa dei conti)
Looper
Dark City (Director's Cut)
Batman:The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
Taken
The Mercenary (Il mercenario)
Compañeros (Vamos a matar, compañeros)
Lawrence of Arabia
Frankenweenie
Rififi
Umberto D.
The Sin of Nora Moran
The Cranes Are Flying (Letyat zhuravli)
The Comedians
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Seven Psychopaths
The Dark Mirror (1946)
Carrie (1976)
Night of the Lepus
Blue Sunshine
Argo
Dead Alive (Braindead)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Suspiria
Prince of Darkness
Possession (1981)
Evil Dead 2
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
The Innocents
Cloud Atlas
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Friday the 13th (1980)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Hellraiser
Dead of Night
Night of the Living Dead
Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)
Wreck-It Ralph
THX 1138
The Small Back Room (Hour of Glory)
Close-Up (Nema-ye Nazdik)
Lone Wold and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
The Phantom Carriage
Dr. No
From Russia with Love
Goldfinger
Quantum of Solace
Skyfall
Kick-Ass
Lincoln
Boudu Saved from Drowning
Shame (1968)
Miami Connection
Ichi the Killer
Life of Pi
A New Leaf
Ravenous
Goon
Headhunters
Parked
Killer Joe
Cosmopolis
From Up on Poppy Hill
Killing Them Softly
Get the Gringo
Safety Not Guaranteed
On the Road
Deadfall
Chicken with Plums
Amour (2012)
Flight
Sleepwalk with Me
Ruby Sparks
Compliance
Chronicle
Holy Motors
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Ted
Barbara
The Secret World of Arrietty (British Dub)
The Turin Horse
Magic Mike
Side by Side (2012)
studly Kid Rules the World
Bernie
White Christmas
Django Unchained
Les Misérables (2012)
Dredd
21 Jump Street
John Dies at the End
End of Watch
Rust and Bone

Total films= 342
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:08 am, edited 276 times in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:44 am

Best of February: Moon. Possibly the first time I noticed AND liked Sam Rockwell. And I loved Gerty the robot.

Worst: Of the several 'not actually bad but I was a bit underwhelmed' movies I saw Shoot the Pianist probably has the best reputation.

Can someone make this thread sticky?

BuckyO'harre wrote:Lucky Luke (2009)

I'd love to hear an opinion that might be less disappointed that the movie views itself just as a homage to Morris and Goscinny, rather than an adaptation. I thought about giving it a second try myself now that Dujardin has been crowned king shit of the world.

bill blake wrote:3) 2.11.12 "memento" (netflix streaming)
such a great debut film, it's too bad christopher nolan never learned to make films that appeal to a large audience.

Is that a test to see if anyone is paying attention?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Al Shut wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:Lucky Luke (2009)

I'd love to hear an opinion that might be less disappointed that the movie views itself just as a homage to Morris and Goscinny, rather than an adaptation. I thought about giving it a second try myself now that Dujardin has been crowned king shit of the world.

Having no connection with the comic, I can only say that as a fan of Western Comedies I liked it quite a bit. I'm tempted to watch the Terrence Hill version now to compare since I love the Trinity films. I hope Bud Spencer shows up.

One thing I am curious about though is the violence towards women. In a serious action film it's not an issue, but here (and OSS 117 coincidentally) being played for laughs gets a tad awkward. Just a French thing, or some backwards American sexism on my part?
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:35 pm

I can't remember anything about that, guess I really have to watch it again. But being not a part of the comics it might have been one of the things that put me off.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Al Shut on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Oh and thanks to whoever made this sticky mess, I'm going to wash myself now
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Spandau reflects on February

This month I watched several films with titles four words or more and a coupe with colons, it was quite a month. My local grindhouse cinema was showing blaxploitation flicks in honour of black history month. I had a nice surprise when I discovered I had not seen FOXY BROWN before, as I assumed I had. Don't you love it when that happens? I saw 12 films for the first time and revisited 6 other films. It was really nice to revisit APOCALYPTO, a film that I love more each time I watch it. I'm starting to think it was maybe the best action film of the 2000s decade.

Best of February: FOXES
I had seen portions of this movie on television when I was the same age as the characters in this film and it was neat to see the whole thing through now as an adult. This film probably best captures how I remember that 15 year old lifestage being. That time when you are realizing just how little adults actually know but you are still are somewhat dependent on them. The film has a very loose structure, but when done well, those movies that are just a couple days in a group of people's lives can be very engaging and this film was.

Worst of February: THE BIG SCORE
This was promoted as a blaxploitation movie, but it really wasn't. It was basically just a flat 80s cop movie that happened to star two blaxploitation legends (Fred Williamson and Richard Roundtree). This one doesn't have any of the hallmarks of blaxploitation flicks. If you wanted to cast Don Johnson in the lead role, you wouldn't have to change one word in the script. I like my cheesy 80s cop movies, but this one was just boring.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:36 pm

I didn't watch much in February and most of it was stuff that I already knew, but it was a very solid month. (As you can see, I rated almost every movie with a 7 or 7,5.)
I watched both versions of PAYBACK and it was a nice surprise that both are as different as two different cuts of the same movie can be and both are even seriously good. I also like the STAR WARS prequels even more than I liked them before. Same goes for BEING JOHN MALKOVICH. MASTER & COMMANDER was good, but until I read it a few minutes ago, I totally forgot that I watched it. DISTURBIA was a nice surprise, because I guess I found the one D.J. Caruso movie, that isn't a complete piece of shit and even is pretty good. My favourite, previously unseen movie of the month was without a doubt ATTACK THE BLOCK, which I like more and more, the longer I think about it.
Oh well. That 's it.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby bill blake on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:14 am

Al Shut wrote:
bill blake wrote:3) 2.11.12 "memento" (netflix streaming)

Is that a test to see if anyone is paying attention?

not so much that, as an attempt at being cheeky.

this was a lame month for my film viewing. nothing really stands out on my short list. although i did enjoy rewatching "memento".
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:57 am

Let's see if I can manage to maintain the list this year.

January

February

March
7 Real Genius (1985) (DVD)
Act of Valor
8 Cinderella Man (2005) (DVD)
13 John Carter 3D
Last edited by Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:26 am

Recently been on vacation so I didn't have time to compile my list of shit I saw last month.

I'll start with the worst film I saw, which was THE THING 2011. Really fucking stupid.

Second worst would be STAR WARS EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH. Hadn't seen that in about five years. I thought it was pretty goddamn boring. It doesn't even feel like a Star Wars movie to me. It even stands apart from the other prequels. This is Lucas' attempt at an epic, I guess. That's the vibe I got. Instead it's shit. I actually stopped watching about five minutes from the end. Although I should've stuck it out for the scene where Natalie Portman dies from being too sad.

I don't know what the best would be. I thought DRIVE was pretty good, the second time I watched it. I SAW THE DEVIL was an enjoyable mess. THE NAME OF THE ROSE was pretty damn good I thought, because Sean Connery is a motherfucker.

I also finally got around to OUT OF SIGHT. J-Lo was pretty hot in that one.

Saw David Gordon Green's GEORGE WASHINGTON and enjoyed that one.

February also saw my first JACKIE BROWN viewing of the year. I tend to watch it about five or six times a year, so that'll pop up a few times.

I also finally watched an entire silent film, FAUST. That was pretty cool.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:07 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:STAR WARS EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH. Hadn't seen that in about five years. This is Lucas' attempt at an epic, I guess. That's the vibe I got. I actually stopped watching about five minutes from the end. Although I should've stuck it out for the scene where Natalie Portman dies from being too sad.

You watched this movie again but didn't stay for the Darth Vader "Noooooooooooooooooooo!" ? If I ever watch this again I'll probably end up skipping the middle five bloated wannabe dark anti-climaxes just to laugh at that moment. And yeah, when Portman is dying I swear the doctors were about to say "Give her a will-to-live injection! Stat!" Maybe Lucas can dub that line next time he reworks these films.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:STAR WARS EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH. Hadn't seen that in about five years. This is Lucas' attempt at an epic, I guess. That's the vibe I got. I actually stopped watching about five minutes from the end. Although I should've stuck it out for the scene where Natalie Portman dies from being too sad.

You watched this movie again but didn't stay for the Darth Vader "Noooooooooooooooooooo!" ? If I ever watch this again I'll probably end up skipping the middle five bloated wannabe dark anti-climaxes just to laugh at that moment. And yeah, when Portman is dying I swear the doctors were about to say "Give her a will-to-live injection! Stat!" Maybe Lucas can dub that line next time he reworks these films.

Anakin bursting into flames is just as funny, I think.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:19 am

Doesn't Obi Wan cut all his limbs off and Anakin is lying there flaming facedown in magma and Obi Wan is all like "Dude, don't make that face, you totally did this to yourself." ? I remember the scene playing like that.

I've meant to revisit all six STAR WARS movies because I haven't seen them since the prequels were in cinemas. I thought this bluray release would inspire me to check them out again, but it seems I always have better things to do.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:27 pm

The movies I watched recently were both animated. Firstly, PUSS IN BOOTS was pretty solid. I like the character, it was a fun little romp. Wouldn't mind another one.

Secondly, was THE ADVENTURES OF TIN TIN. This was a damn good movie. It was non-stop adventure in the vein of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and you don't see that really anymore. This is the best animated film I've seen in a long long time. I wasn't sure who Captain Haddock was, but I was really impressed with the performance, and sure enough, Andy Serkis. The dude is a chameleon. If you haven't seen Tin Tin, check it out. If there's a scale for animated films, I'd give it a 10/10.

There really needs to be a sequel. I haven't enjoyed an animated film for, maybe ever. I especially loved the character of Tin Tin. He's a smart kid, and seems like a good role model for kids. He needs to solve a problem, he goes to the library. He uses his wits, and kids need to see that more. And I had no knowledge of Tin Tin going into this. Thoroughly impressed.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:19 am

Spandau Reflects Upon March!

What a simply lovely month at the movies this was. I got to see lots of exciting stuff that was new or at least new to me including JCVD's action debut in BLOODSPORT and an awesome rare Charlie Bronson film THE STONE KILLER. I also saw BATTLE ROYALE for the second time, now in its expanded director's cut, and liked it a lot more than I remembered. And I did my annual watching BEN-HUR, a film that I don't think will ever grow old.

Best New View(s) of March
YOUNG ADULT was probably the best film I saw all month. Speaking as a fan of Diablo Cody, I would say this is by far her best work so far, which gets me even more excited to see her next film, which will be her directorial debut. This is a pretty ballsy movie with a protagonist that you hate more as the movie progresses and the movie offers her no easy path to redemption such as easily turning over a new leaf or simply apologizing. Theron gives the best performance of an already impressive career.

In close second I would say TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY was a top notch picture. I think between this and DRAGON TATTOO, filmmakers have figured out how to make investigative films interesting again.

Worst of New View March
THE WIZARD OF GORE, this one is considered some sort of classic among gorehounds, but I mostly found it boring. I liked that it made no sense and had a major subplot that got completely abandoned in the final act where they just pile on twists that don't really add up, but up until then it's a really repetative dull movie in which a magician gives long stilted monologues and then chops up ladies on stage, fondles their gore, then reassembles them. The odd thing is, this film was recently remade with Crispin Glover in the title role. I haven't seen the remake, but it got me wondering: if you remake a film that made no sense, do you rewrite it to make sense or do you remain faithful to the original? Sadly, I may actually rent the remake to find out.

I had the opportunity to see this film with the lead actor in attendance. He had never seen the film before and he said he assumed it was bad because it felt like a stupid movie even while he was making it and wasn't proud of his performance. His suspicions were confirmed that night.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Al Shut on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Didn't see as much as I wanted to in March

Best was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Doing lots of stuff in an animated movie that you can't do in live action (here playing with food) is always a good start. Make it entertaining and you have a winner.

Worst was L'empire des loups, barely kept my interest and come to think of it that might be well overstated as I can't really tell anymore what it was about. Sadly it wasn't about Jean Reno and a younger partner hunting a serial killer (as in The Crimson Rivers), that would have been way more interesting.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Bloo on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Interestingly, the best film I saw in March was probably 21 JUMP STREET.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I only watched three movies last month, which is a new all time low for me. But hey, at least they were good.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby bill blake on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:36 am

four movies do not make a monthly summation. i will say though, i started movies that i didn't finish (either out of boredom or disgust) and finished movies i had started the month before (see, spate of activist docs.) either way it was not a good movie month.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 am

Spandau Reflects on April

Best of the new view of April: EYE OF THE TIGER
I blind picked this one for the Oleg Movie Club and it turns out my instincts were pretty solid. This is the ideal redneck version of DEATH WISH. Gary Busey driving around in a supertruck taking on a biker gang with a crime compound bigger than his village. It just doesn't get any better.

I'll also give points to THE RAID, which was an impressive showcase of stunts and fighting, although the lead guy lacked in the personality department.

Mediocrest of April: SAFE HOUSE
A movie that is passably entertaining and instantly forgettable. It is basically an update of 3:10 TO YUMA set in the modern world of espionage and probably the best version of 3:10 TO YUMA yet, although that's not much of a compliment. It doesn't have the awful ending of the Crowe-Bale remake or the missing middle portion of the original, but it still isn't really a terribly great movie. Denzel brings his gravita$ and Ryan Reynolds performance is impressive only because he actually comes across as sincere, which is usually impossible for Reynolds, but any tv guy could've handled the role just as well.

Worst of April: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 4: GHOST PROTOCOL
Characters with no personality (other than Simon Pegg who plays Simon Pegg) all doing pointless self-defeating things in the most complicated ways possible up until they're handed a resolution that makes no sense. Horrible movie.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Worst of April: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 4: GHOST PROTOCOL
Characters with no personality (other than Simon Pegg who plays Simon Pegg) all doing pointless self-defeating things in the most complicated ways possible up until they're handed a resolution that makes no sense. Horrible movie.

Paula Patton was easily the best part about that movie.

Goddamn you, Robin Thicke.
caruso_stalker217

Next

Return to Movie Discussion