The Zone's 2012 Movie Journal

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Zone's 2012 Movie Journal

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:03 am

Shit, I didn't see the post about your father, Bill. It always makes me smile how people, may it be friends or family, are able to bond over something like movies.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:12 pm

My condolences, Bill.

October was a great month for me. The only really bad film I saw was Night of the Lepus, but even that has a certain cheesy appeal and it isn't as though the quality was unexpected.
The Comedians was a bit of a disappointment I suppose. A film that cynical needs more humor, dark or otherwise. Great cast though.

The best thing I saw (aside from Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen) was The Cranes are Flying. A classic russian film set in WW2 that features some of the most phenomenal camerawork I've ever witnessed.

If you enjoy spaghetti westerns, especially those with a comedic bent, check out The Mercenary (A Professional Gun) and Compañeros. They're sort of an italian Rio Bravo/El Derado in that they're both directed by Sergio Corbucci, star Franco Nero, and have very similar plots.

Possession (1981) is the sort of film that forces you to keep watching, eyes wide and slack-jawed. It's a surrealist examination of a dissolving marriage with Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill performing in this hyper-emotional way as if they're going to rip themselves apart. It may drive you mad, but you won't soon forget it. Also... squid sex.

Seven Psycopaths has all the wackiness promised in the trailers, plus a poignancy you wouldn't expect if you didn't know it was made by Martin McDonagh, the In Bruges fella. Harry Dean Stanton continues his year of great cameos.

And two horror films that were once well known but aren't talked about enough these days- The Innocents and Dead of Night.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:01 am

Wow Bucky, I think I now want to see most of the movies you mentioned!

I have debated renting THE CRANES ARE FLYING many times, I'll get around to it. And I do love me some Spaghetti Westerns and squid romance.

I really liked IN BRUGES, yet I haven't felt overly compelled to see SEVEN PSYCHOS. If I'm not doing anything else when it hits last run I might check it out.

cheers mate.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Wow Bucky, I think I now want to see most of the movies you mentioned!

I have debated renting THE CRANES ARE FLYING many times, I'll get around to it. And I do love me some Spaghetti Westerns and squid romance.

I really liked IN BRUGES, yet I haven't felt overly compelled to see SEVEN PSYCHOS. If I'm not doing anything else when it hits last run I might check it out.

cheers mate.

If you haven't seen Blue Sunshine I'd also recommend that one. It's got an oddball flare I think you'd appreciate. I only watched it because it was part of Harry's BNAT application, but I don't regret it.

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:43 pm

Spandau reflects on November!

Best of November: SKYFALL
This is by far the best of Craig's outings as Bond. They do all prequelly rebooty shit that modern audiences seem to love, but they at least find a way to make it work with the story and Craig's take on the role. It never just feels like they're over-explaining the shit out of everybody's backstory just for the sake of pandering. It's also got plenty of good campy Moore/Brosnan moments for guys like me who like Bond movies better when they're ridiculous. Good job all around.

Worst of November: WHO'S THAT GIRL?
I like Madonna. So shoot me. This is one of those 80s comedies where a tight-wad gets roped in by a free spirit into a day/night of wacky misadventures around a city. Ya know, like FERRIS BUELLER or LICENCE TO DRIVE. They even got the guy from AFTER HOURS to be the male lead in this because he had recent experience in these types of movies 80s wild-night-of-misadventure-movies. It just didn't come together all that well. It's not terrible, but I definitely can't recommend it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby bill blake on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:00 am

i agree with belly on his "skyfall" synopsis, but it wasn't my best of the month. i have to go with my second viewing of "cloud atlas". this is a beautiful film that gives us a new way to look at narrative. i wish more people would take chances with entertainment, but i understand why they don't. it's a hard world for the little things.

the worst - by default - was "flight". so who's better to watch denzel washington or daniel craig? i mean denzel throws down, but he's nothing but a degenerate drunk that does a great job landing a plane. at least daniel craig can be depended on to ride motorcycles on roof tops, hang on the bottom of elevators, and fight and kill and fuck....

in other views...

"goodfellas" continues to entertain on every viewing. i was able to introduce it to somebody whom i hope will watch it throughout his life or be inspired to replace it.

i'm shooting for 100. to you hard cores out there i'm sure it's a shrug, but to me it's a milestone.

go december!
Last edited by bill blake on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby justcheckin on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Isn't it time for a new one of these??? Nachokoolaid???
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm

The new one is now open.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:49 pm

It's looking like LIFE OF PI will be the last film I see in 2012 because I am going to watch it during the day tomorrow and then come home and get drunk. However, RUST & BONE was one of my most anticipated 2012 releases and I will wait until I see that next week before I reflect on 2012 because if that film turns out to be awesome, I would rather roll it into this year than next year.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby justcheckin on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:01 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:The new one is now open.

Thanks! :D
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:22 am

So, where are we throwing our best of lists at? Here?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:42 am

bastard_robo wrote:So, where are we throwing our best of lists at? Here?

Seems like the right place.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:02 pm

A usual I didn't watch as many new movies as I wanted to, but they will be around for a while, so I can continue to catch up with everything that came before 2012.

Anyway, my favourite movie of the year was without a doubt Detention. One of the few kitchen sink movies, that start out strong and get even better, the more absurdity they throw at the viewers.

#2: The Raid
Finally a movie, that deserved all the internet hype.

#3: Dark Shadows
I seem to be the only one in the world who really seemed to enjoy that one, but it was perfect for my taste. An in its heart pretty dark and serious movie, that wasn't scared of exploring its absurd aspects, without making fun of it or at least pretending to be "in on the joke".

Worst movie of the year: Project X
Ugh, horrible characters that you can only hate, get rewarded for being irresponsible assholes, by their shallow schoolmates in a comedy withotu one single funny moment. This could easily end up as #1 in my "worst movies of the decade" list.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:16 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
#3: Dark Shadows
I seem to be the only one in the world who really seemed to enjoy that one, but it was perfect for my taste. An in its heart pretty dark and serious movie, that wasn't scared of exploring its absurd aspects, without making fun of it or at least pretending to be "in on the joke".

I actually enjoyed it much better the second time I watched it. :D
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby bill blake on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:32 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Shit, I didn't see the post about your father, Bill. It always makes me smile how people, may it be friends or family, are able to bond over something like movies.

i want thank all the zoners who sent well wishes upon reading of my father's passing. you're a fine group of people.

my favorite movie this year was "cloud atlas" hands down, nothing else compared for me.

i loved doing this. thanks for making me feel welcome. my favorite part of the whole thing was keeping track of belly's
ever evolving photo. nice work! you deserve an award.
bill blake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby bastard_robo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 am

Bastard Robo's top 10 films of 2012

It was a good year for movies, but there were a lot of film that I liked, but didn't love. So it made this list easy to do. I give you my top ten:

10. Paranorman

9. The Grey

8. Wreck it Ralph

7. Skyfall

6. Dredd

5. Looper

4. Avengers

3. Perks of Being A Wall Flower

2. Moonrise Kingdom

1. The Raid Redemption
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby King Of Nowhere on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:36 am

I don't think i watched 10 new movies in 2012, didn't keep a journal either.

New shit i remember:
Prometheus
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
The Woman in Black

Movie of the year: The Dark Knight Rises
Bane wasn't Bane. Whatever he was, it was something special. I still find myself quoting that motherfucker. Only problem with the character is that he turns out to be some pussy-whipped motherfucker who's stuck in the friend zone. Well, that and he's called "Bane". I'd give my right nut to see a spin-off where this guy gets kicked out of the League, celebrates the death of Ra's and gathers a team that he can straight-up brainwash into dying for "the cause". If they'd called him anything other than "Bane", it might've happened. :P
Anyway... the movie was problematic as fuck, but really fun.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Again didn't see much new stuff so my complete year of 2012 can be summed up by

John Carter > Die Geisterfahrer (German TV movie) > The Avengers > Dark Knight Rises > some lame French TV whose name I'm too lazy to look up in my own journal
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby justcheckin on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:10 pm

bill blake wrote:my father got sick and died this month. it was that fast. he was 69 and he died too young.

he took me to see "jaws" and "star wars" when i was a boy. the last movie we saw together in a theater was "the apostle".

we saw tons of movies together, but he really didn't care about film. he watched the movies men were supposed to like and ocassionally took his wife to the ones they weren't. movies were just a diversion.

his favorite was "evil roy slade".

he was freaked out by the bed horse head in "the godfather".

other than that, he rarely spoke of anything he'd ever seen.

yet he still was an influence on me.

i miss him.

thanks.

I had to come back and find this after reading your other post. I am sorry for your loss. I get my love of sci-fi from my father who used to hit the tv-screen with a fly swatter when Star Trek came on to show me that he controlled which direction the ship traveled. He died a few years ago so I understand where you are at. He'll be there continuing to watch with you, I'm sure.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 am

bill blake wrote:i loved doing this. thanks for making me feel welcome.

Glad you felt welcomed here. We don't really get that many new members, and the few that do wander in here rarely stick around. I really feel sorry for that poor guy, Fitz-Hume, who joined seemingly just to talk about PROMETHEUS but everybody hated that movie and he left.

And feel free to explore the Zone. There's no initiation period before you're allowed to post your opinion or anything.

bill blake wrote:my favorite part of the whole thing was keeping track of belly's
ever evolving photo. nice work! you deserve an award.

What can I say, touching lives, it's what I do.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Favorite Films of the Year (Not Released in 2011-12 Edition)

After I see Zero Dark Thirty I will make my list for 2012 proper and the left overs of '11. I saw 342 films in total this year. Fewer than last, but more comfortable because if I watch more than one new film a day I don't properly absorb them. So after taking away the new releases, bad and or mediocre flicks, and any I think are too well known to merit inclusion, these are the movies I found most interesting. Aside from the top three, the order is loose and mainly just a result of going down the edited journal.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Wild Strawberries

The Cranes Are Flying

Great Expectations (1946)

Ace in the Hole

Rashomon

Being There

The Elephant Man

Falstaff (Chimes at Midnight)

The Exterminating Angel

Cinema Paradiso

Angels with Dirty Faces

I Know Where I'm Going

The Strange Case of the End of Civilization as We Know It

Porco Rosso

The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Vampyr

The Night of the Iguana

The Long Goodbye

Children of Paradise

La Strada

F for Fake

Ball of Fire

My Dinner with Andre

Charlie Varrick

Andrei Rublev

The Mercenary (Il mercenario)

The Innocents

Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)

A New Leaf

Sorry for the length, I'll stop at 30 before the thread explodes. Here's the rest, minus the posters.

The Rainmaker
Auntie Mame
The Breakfast Club
Blow-Up
Lord of the Flies
Lucky Luke (2009)
Reds
The Apartment
Blow-Out
Best In Show
The Citadel
The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas
Gambit
Broken Lance
Head
Fight Club
Hobson's Choice
The Conversation
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Saving Grace
The Trip (2010)
Where Eagles Dare
The Monster Squad
M (1931)
From Here to Eternity
The Usual Suspects
Buck and the Preacher
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story
Heathers
Wizards
Ghost in the Shell
Shadow of a Doubt
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Phantom of the Paradise
Westworld
Brick
Zorba the Greek
Being John Malkovich
The Fog (1980)
Goodfellas
Five Easy Pieces
Marathon Man
My Left Foot
The Trial (1962)
The Jerk
Hamlet 2
The Kentucky Fried Movie
Le Cercle Rouge
The League of Gentlemen (1960)
The Italian Job
Adam's Rib
Four Lions
Point Blank (1967)
Stand By Me
The Muppets
Solaris
Paper Moon
Now, Voyager
The Warriors
Bicycle Thieves
Mackenna's Gold
Silverado
The Party (1968)
The Agony and the Ecstasy
Nights of Cabiria
Requiem for a Dream
Johnny Guitar
One-Eyed Jacks
Häxan
Emperor of the North Pole
Annie
The Wind and the Lion
Castle Keep
Monsieur Verdoux
Satan's Brew
The Remains of the Day
Victor Victoria
Sophie's Choice
Only Angels Have Wings
Meet John Doe
Love and Death
Scarface (1932)
The Bridges of Madison County
Grave of the Fireflies
Gone Baby Gone
Marty
Soylent Green
Top Hat
Bronson
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Magnolia
Perfect Blue
We're No Angels (1955)
Hot Millions
Videodrome
The Proposition (2005)
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Baraka
Re-Animator
The Road (2009)
Sid and Nancy
Trading Places
Winchester '73
The Killing (1956)
Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
A Hard Days Night
Garden State
The Big Gundown (La resa dei conti)
Dark City
Rififi
Umberto D.
The Sin of Nora Moran
The Dark Mirror (1946)
Carrie
Blue Sunshine
Dead Alive (Braindead)
Suspiria
Prince of Darkness (1987)
Possession (1981)
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Dead of Night
The Small Back Room (Hour of Glory)
Close-Up (Nema-ye Nazdik)
Lone Wold and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
The Phantom Carriage
Boudu Saved from Drowning
Shame (1968)
Miami Connection
Ichi the Killer
Ravenous
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:57 pm

ironic name wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jism_2

Classy title.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:19 am

2012: A Year in Which Cinema Occurred
2012 was a year full of high profile films. There were more big movies and more movies made by established prestige auteurs than I remember ever being released in one year during my lifetime, or will likely see again for awhile. A year full of new films from Quentin Tarantino, P.T. Anderson, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, William Friedkin, Jacques Audiard, Ang Lee, Wachowski Starship, Andrew Dominik, David Cronenberg, Sam Mendes etc. Many of these guys getting big budgets accompanied with a level artistic freedom believed to be dead. Let’s reflect, shall we?

Favourite film of 2012: SAMSARA

Ron Fricke’s sequel to his 1992 film BARAKA is my favourite film of the year. It’s everything a movie should be: beautiful to look at, interesting, funny, sad, and shocking. And it’s everything a sequel should be: both familiar and different. I went in mostly expecting an alternate version of BARAKA, I got that and much more. This sub-genre of documentary-music video is incredibly sparse, with Fricke as its defining auteur making a movie every 20 years. Even if a movie like this came out every year, I don’t think I would ever get sick of it.

Runner up 2012: THE MASTER

Any movie that starts with Joaquin Phoenix chugging torpedo fuel and fucking a sand sculpture has my attention. P.T. Anderson delivers another grown man shouting fest that examines subjects and themes that I find interesting. Two stellar performances and a steady hand on the camera make this a film I will revisit long after my death (don’t ask how).

Best acting by a male man in a movie 2012: Matthew McConaughey for KILLER JOE
I think there’s more to this performance than simply against-type casting. McConaughey really commands the scene in this film and comes across as part of him is truly dead inside. Simultaneously terrifying and funny he does great work here.

Best acting by a female person in a movie 2012: Quvenzhané Wallis for BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
Child acting is tricky, but Wallis walks that tightrope and avoids seeming self-consciously cute or too wise and articulate for her age, yet also not stupid like how real children are.

Best ensemble cast 2012: DJANGO UNCHAINED
Everybody in this is firing on all cylinders. Foxx probably proved to be the right actor for this role and has good chemistry with Waltz, who has good chemistry with life in general. DiCaprio and Jackson have a particularly entertaining rapport. Don Johnson gives the performance of his career as Colonel Sanders. Tarantino knows just how to turn on the fog machine, fill up the waterbed, and let a good acting orgy transpire.

Most phoned-in performance 2012:Brad Pitt in KILLING THEM SOFTLY, that perfume commercial, and the trailer for WORLD WAR Z
In KILLING THEM SOFTLY, when Pitt blurts out “America’s not a country, it’s business, now pay me!” was that in the script or was that just a discussion with the film’s producers that somehow ended up in movie? I dunno, I normally like Pitt a lot as an actor, but lately he just seems fucking stoned in everything.

Best 2011 film seen in 2012: THE HUNTER

This is the best leftover film from last year. Good tight thriller story, solid performance from Willem Dafoe without any of the bullshit I’m used to in modern movies. The film deals with machismo in that same mature way as REDBELT. I choose to retcon this film as my #3 favourite film for 2011.

Biggest disappointment of 2012/my entire moviewatching life: PROMETHEUS

I don’t think I ever have or ever will see more talent, resources, good will, and overall potential squandered in a movie. I now sort of understand how all those guys raised on STAR WARS feel about those prequels. But I would still marry Noomi.

Best action sequence 2012: Fight against Mad Dog in THE RAID
The big fight against Mad Dog in THE RAID is just the most relentless beating I’ve seen on screen in quite some time. I also liked the twist they put on it. Normally in action movies the hero goes up against multiple villains to show what a badass he is, in THE RAID, the bad guy actually frees a second hero so he can take on multiple heroes. So cocky! You go Mad Dog (to hell)!

The Schlockhouse Award for trashtasterpiece of 2012: MANBORG

Some guy from Winnipeg filmed an epic sci-fi action movie in his garage against greenscreens and built little models and stop-motion creatures to act as the sets and monsters. The story is about a hacker who accidently hacks into Hell’s mainframe and unleashes the armies of Hell to Earth’s surface. Mankind makes a stand but loses, years later a dead veteran from the war against Hell is reborn as a cyborg gladiator who teams up with a knife-fighter and a gun-fighter who, despite being brother and sister, have accents from Canada and Australia respectively. A kung-fu guy with a dubbed-in voice helps them all to overthrow Hell’s dictatorship on Earth and teaches us that friendship is never obsolete. Fucking perfect.

The Golden Oleg for retro b-movie discovery of 2012: BULLETPROOF (1988)

This 1988 Gary Busey star vehicle puts the world’s greatest actor in the role of a former secret agent turned street cop turned secret agent again. Aside from being an accomplished musician who can play both a saxophone and a butt-horn, he’s also a chick magnet and a bullet magnet, luckily he is bulletproof and removes all the bullets that hit him and collects them in a jar in his bathroom. It’s everything your lousy excuse for a God could ask for in a movie.

Best DTV film of 2012: GET THE GRINGO

Mel Gibson has become the Kenny Powers of the film world.

Noble ambition 2012: CLOUD ATLAS

I definitely admire this film more than I actually enjoy it. But that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it. I think it’s a fine film. As far as these movies that are more about their uplifting spiritual message, I’d say LIFE OF PI is the better film. I don’t normally pay much attention to box office business, but it does surprise me that an unknown Indian teenage actor and a CGI tiger proved to be an easier sell than Tom Hanks and Halle Berry in a movie with lazer guns and spaceships. They say our reach should exceed our grasp, so I’ll give this movie points for trying really hard.

Best pointless movie 2012: LAWLESS

This is film with absolutely beautiful cinematography, excellent performances (yes, even The Beef does solid acting in this), well-handled use of pre-recorded music and absolutely no subtext, theme, insight, or message. Usually movies that have so little going on in their brains and in their hearts are designed to deliver spectacle of some kind, but I can’t really say that’s the case here. I think this movie actually thinks it’s profound or something. But for a movie with no real purpose, it’s surprisingly easy to watch and not just because you get to see Jessica Chastain’s perfect body, but for that other good filming and good acting shit I mentioned. Guy Pierce probably plays the wackiest villain I’ve seen since Gary Oldman in LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL.

Looking forward to 2013
2013 is looking to be the opposite of 2012. Not as many big names making the movies, not as big movies. And, well, I find that exciting. More potential for surprises, and it’s nice to see a new crop of filmmakers establishing themselves.

2013 is definitely shaping up to be The Year of The Oleg, with 3 (!) new Schwarzenegger and 2 new Stallone films, MACHETE 2, and 6 FAST 6 FURIOUS. As a guy who likes his action movies more of the macho ridiculous variety, I can already feel the gunfire.

My person resolutions for 2013: I have decided this year I will further explore the cinema of Asian cultures in greater depth and I also intend to fill out many of the Hitchcock films I have never seen.

It’s been a slice, lads.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Favorite Films of the Year (Actually Released in 2012 Edition)

Including the leftovers of 2011, I saw 89 new releases. For me, the films of 2012 reinforced how important neutrality and the tempering of expectations are to the enjoyment of cinema. There are no sure bet masterpieces. Prometheus, The Hobbit, and The Dark Knight Rises are all good movies in my mind, but they each contain head-scratching problems that their respective creators should know how to avoid by now. Also, trailer cutters rarely know what the fuck they're doing anymore so don't let preconceived notions prevent you from discovering hidden gems. I only gave Hope Springs a chance because of Streep and Jones and it turned out to be one of the better lite dramas of the year.

The Bestest

The Master- It's hard for me to describe why I was so captivated by this movie. Was it simply the quality of the performances, the fact it was gloriously shot with 65mm cameras, or the nontraditional style? I don't know but I think it's even more than the sum of its parts, and was the best film I saw all year (aside from the 4k re-release of Lawrence of Arabia.) Oh, and Amy Adams is the greatest motivator on the planet.

Moonrise Kingdom- A fantasy of childhood that's silly, utterly devoid of realism, and so quirky that you may become nauseated... or you could just smile and adore the damn thing like I did.

Django Unchained- I'm a softy for Westerns and the music alone would have been cause for me to love it, but since the general consensus is greatness, I don't feel guilty putting it here. Keeps the varmints on the run.

The Raid: Redemption- Want to know the secret of making a kick-ass film? Film a lot of asses being kicked and don't worry about the rest of it. Who knew?

From Up on Poppy Hill- Most people prefer their Studio Ghibli films to be full of magic and mythical creatures, so some may be disappointed to learn that this film has neither of those things. Why go to the trouble of animating something that could easily be done live-action? Well putting aside the fact that this is based on a manga and anime is the most natural progression for an adaptation, it also offers a gentle way to show the subtler scarring and Americanization of post-war Japan. The movie is simple and sweet with just the right amount of melodrama.

Lincoln- It might not be the sweeping epic we were anticipating, with almost no physical confrontation shown and spanning a mere four months, the smaller tale we get is still completely gripping. The great battles are fought with words and remind us that progress is the exception. Not a weak link among the cast, with special recognition to James Spader, and of course, DDL showing us once again that he is the Zeus of the acting gods. Wanting to spend more time in the world of a film is the best possible criticism to have.

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia- Patience will be rewarded for any viewer of this slow striptease about three souls eaten away during a long night of searching for a murder victim's body.

Oslo, August 31st- Many healthy people may find it hard to connect with this film about a heroin addict on a day out from rehab. It's difficult to sympathize with someone who has seemingly squandered every resource and advantage. But the character's troubles really have little to do with drugs. His newly regained mental clarity only intensifies his lack of feeling and connection. As he meets up with old friends he sees both where he will go if he falls back into his former patterns, and what a fresh start would mean. Even if he is successful, do the rewards justify the effort?

Amour- Everything that "growing old together" entails. Beautiful in the most bittersweet way. I hope Emmanuelle Riva gets the Oscar.

Argo- Possibly the most well-rounded film of the year, earning high marks in acting, pacing, tone, and dialogue. Keep up the good work, Mr. Affleck.

The Grey- Not just good but also unexpectedly profound at times. You hardly mind that you never get to see Liam go full-on wolf boxing.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Don't let its too cool for school, indie look put you off. It goes deeper and hits harder than you think.

Safety Not Guaranteed- Changing the past isn't as important as changing your perception and desires.

Mighty Fine

The Hunter
The Cabin in the Woods
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
The Avengers
Prometheus
Brave
The Dark Knight Rises
Beasts of the Southern Wild
ParaNorman
The Intouchables
Juan of the Dead
Robot and Frank
Looper
Frankenweenie
Seven Psychopaths
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Cloud Atlas
Wreck-It Ralph
Skyfall
Life of Pi
Headhunters
Parked
Killer Joe
Get the Gringo
On the Road
Flight
Ruby Sparks
Holy Motors
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Barbara
The Secret World of Arrietty
Bernie
Les Miserables
John Dies at the End
The Sessions
Zero Dark Thirty

Pleasantly Surprising

Casa de Mi Padre
Hope Springs
High School
Lawless
Arbitrage
Sound of My Voice
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part I
Goon
Deadfall
Sleepwalk with Me
Chronicle
Fat Kid Rules the World
21 Jump Street
End of Watch
The Rabbi's Cat
The Loneliest Planet
Anna Karenina
Pitch Perfect

Not Without Merit

Carnage
John Carter
Dark Shadows
Men in Black 3
Iron Sky
Superman vs The Elite
Trouble with the Curve
The Man with the Iron Fists
Killing Them Softly
Chicken with Plums
Compliance
The Amazing Spider-Man
Ted
Magic Mike
Side by Side
Rust and Bone
Silver Linings Playbook
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part II

Waste of Time

Not Fade Away

Mixed Emotions

Cosmopolis- There's some timely commentary and satire here, you just might be too annoyed to look for them. I almost think it would work better on a stage as some sort of performance art rather than a film. Characters are just as often speaking their inner monologue aloud as they are actually communicating to each other.

Art Film Entrance Exam

The Turin Horse- Good to watch when you're in a subdued, contemplative mood. Long takes, stark black and white filming, ominous score, and minimal, repetitive action are the hallmarks of this film. Bleak and austere, yet moving.

Most Improved

Matthew McConaughey and Channing Tatum share this award for finally making smart career decisions.
Last edited by BuckyO'harre on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:12 am

Bucky O'harre wrote:Pleasantly Surprising
Deadfall

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by this one too. It took a bad kicking from the critics and I really can't see why. I thought it was a solid little thriller.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion